Nephi Bailey

9 Nov 1846 - 2 Jul 1925

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Nephi Bailey

9 Nov 1846 - 2 Jul 1925
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

by Margaret Sophia Bailey Anderson My father was converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints in England where his parents William Henry Bailey and Amelia Read with their family joined the church. After their conversion, they immigrated to America and later to Utah. They endured the

Life Information

Nephi Bailey


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


July 11, 2014


July 10, 2014

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Nephi


Nephi Bailey is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Beginnings of Historical Sketch of Her Progenitors by Margaret Sophia

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

by Margaret Sophia Bailey Anderson My father was converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints in England where his parents William Henry Bailey and Amelia Read with their family joined the church. After their conversion, they immigrated to America and later to Utah. They endured the poersecutions, sacrifices and hardships typical of the early converts to our church. many of their distinguished friends in England turned against them and many relatives scoffed at their conversion. But theirs was a faith that moved to action and they desisred to be gathered to Zion. After reaching utah they were among the early pioneers and volume after volume could be written about the privations and trials of these early settlers of our State. My Great Grandmother, Sarah Brimley, mother of Amelia Read was with her husband, a pioneer of 1856. A short sketch of her life is given later in this book. Peder M. Mackelprang and Margaret Sophia Sorensen my mother's parents were both converts from Denmark. (I am named for this grandmother). She had been raised in a beautiful home in Denmark, surrounded by wealth and luxury all her life. But when she joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints her parents sent her away from her lovely home and she forsook all that was near and dear to her to remain true to the gospel. She married Peder M. Mackelprang in 1843. She and her husband and seven children immigrated to America in the year of 1857. I feel to honor the memory of these noble progenitors and am anxious to find records of more of my ancestors. When I think of the immense sacrifices they have made and remained staunch and true, i am reminded of the quotation "They are slaves, who will not choose hatred, scoffing and abuse, rather than in silence shrink from the truth they needs must think".

Julius Mackelprang Bailey Autobiography

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Julius Mackelprang Bailey (1881 - 1955) My father, Nephi Bailey, was born in Whittle, Derbyshire, England, 9 [OR 19] November 1846 and came to America as a young man. Mother [ANNIE EVA MACKELPRANG] was born in Denmark, 3 October 1855 and came to America as an infant. They were among the first settlers of San Juan County, Utah. I was born at Bluff, Utah, 13 December 1881, and we moved to what is now Monticello, San Juan County, Utah, when I was seven years old. I remember helping my brothers drive the milk cows, but our white burro couldn’t carry us all, so some of us walked. Our first home in Monticello was a one room log cabin with a dirt roof, which leaked when it rained and for several hours after the storm. Many herds of deer roamed the country in early days. A man who owned a store there began buying the hides from the Indians. The hides of little fawns for a stick of candy, and as a consequence, thousands were slaughtered. I remember too the Indians bringing in venison (deer meat) and selling a hind quarter for a quart of flour and deer became quite scare until the government protected them later. What is now wheat and grain fields, also bean fields, was grass land, no sage brush, and could be mowed with a mowing machine and used for hay in winter. Monticello’s first schoolhouse was a log building built by Latter-day Saint people and was used for A school, church and amusement hall, with the customary bell tower THAT gave warning when it was school or church time. Eight grades were given here. Some boys, for fun, hung a bottle on the tower, and one day a bunch of drunken cowboys came in while school was in session and decided to see if they could hit the bottle with their .45 revolvers. A young teacher from Salt Lake City and all the students were very much frightened and were very happy when one of the COWBOYS broke the bottle and rode out of town without hurting anyone. My early years were carefree and happy, school in the winter, dancing, riding horses, learning how to rope and ride calves just for fun, working on father’s homestead and watching the milk cows from straying off with some of the wild cattle. San Juan County at this time was the home for great herds of cattle and cowmen from far and near. Being so far from the railroad, many outlaws found a good hiding place there as well as good honest citizens. My father, a shoemaker by trade, made boots for these cowboys, so I knew them all. They had the best horses they could get by buying or stealing them, and as I learned to ride early, they would hire me for their jockey on the fourth of July or other celebrations. There was quite a rivalry between the cowboys and townboys in horse races, but usually cowboy horses won because they had better HORSES; HOW I loved the winning and beautiful horses. When we reached a certain age, my mother and we celebrated our birthdayS. She gave each of her boys a heifer calf, and it was a real celebration for us. The Latter-day Saints was the only religion in Monticello in early days. The President of the Church called the members to settle there, so the few families there all took their part in the organizations and believed implicitly in doing our share. I was active in Primary, Sunday School and Mutual as long as I was home. As there were ten boys in our family and as soon as the eighth grade was finished, we went on our own to help the family. I finished the eighth grade about 1899. Our teacher was the most beautiful penman I have ever known. Then I too went to work. For some reason, the fellow who owned the store across the street from my childhood home was not liked by the cowboys, and they often came into town shooting through the door of the store and even rode their horses inside, when they shot things off the shelves. As they came out they would tie the end of a bolt of calico to their saddle horn and unwind it as they galloped up the street and out of town. When a bad drought came and finally the law came in, most of the big cattle herds were taken out and sheep brought in to take their place, mostly owned by outlaws but many respectable people who stayed on and helped develop the country with the L.D.S. Church. About 1900 my brother (J. M.) and I decided we would move sheep camp and punch cattle (as they call taking care of cows in cowboy language), which we did for the sum of $35.00 per month, which was top wages. One of us would work while the other looked after our small bunch of cattle, beginning with the two heifer calves Mother gave us. There were many wild cattle in this large rough country, some lived and died without ever being branded, and as a consequence many got into the cattle business who otherwise would not have done so. Mavericks (those without any brands) could be appropriated by most anyone able to catch and brand them, the best thing needed: a fast horse and a sure hand with a rope. To this day I never branded a neighbor’s animal thoUGH I have been in the cattle business all my life, sometime out also, either by choice or not by choice but by necessity. For instance, 11 November 1918, when the Armistice was signed, I was in Kansas City with carloads of cows and got back home with absolutely nothing. You could hardly give them away. About this time I had a call to go to Provo and take a missionary course at what then was Brigham Young Academy. [JULIUS WAS ORDAINED AN ELDER ON 27 OCTOBER 1903 IN THE MONTICELLO WARD.] I left everything with my brother Rone and went to Provo. I finished the course but was never called on a mission. I don’t know why to this day. That was the last of my schooling. I still kept on adding to my bunch of cattle until my brother decided to get married and we dissolved partnership, but we had accumulated about 150 head by now. One summer I was moving sheep camp for Harry Green when a couple of young kids came by camp on their way to Arizona, with a bunch of fine saddle horses. It was on the Blue Mountain, west of Monticello. I got word to the Sheriff and led him and some others to camp. One of the fellows was out hunting deer, they had felt safe enough there and were resting the horses for a few days, the other was sitting on his bed roll and as soon as he saw us he knew what had happened. He began shooting, but they captured him. The other boy never came back but in trying to find his way around the mountain got lost and was picked up many miles from there later by some cowboys. He was almost starved but stood trial for stealing. During the 1890’s I recall working for the K-1 cattle company on their winter range in Montezuma Canyon. In the winter time the only human beings I saw for weeks would be an Indian or two. They were friendly Indians, thoUGH we had trouble with “Posey” and some of them later. In April 1908 [18 April 1908], I married my childhood sweetheart, Ruth Perkins, after many breakups. She was away at school and other places a great part of the time after we graduated from the eighth grade together, thoUGH I think both of us knew we would marry all the time. As I think back over my life I realize how much early environment and habits mold your future. I always had a desire to move around fast, and as the horse was the fastest mode of travel then, I always was interested in good fast horses and still am. I think one good horse I called Bullet was quite an item in winning my wife over to my side. If I didn’t know better I would think she had Gypsy blood in her veins. We have always been lovers of outdoor life. Especially horseback trips, whether a day or month made no difference to us. Our home life was a happy one just so we were all together. Because of my cowboy life I was still required to spend a good part of time on the range alonE, and my wife says I was never socialized. I am still not much for society thoUGH I have some of the best friends a man could have and like to be with them. But our Spring Creek home in San Juan County, Utah was what we all loved and pretty much filled our lives. As our three children grew older, Marvel, Max E. and Loile J., all helped. We worked hard, loved each other and did well. The boys began going with me on the range when they were about seven years old. We would leave at sun up and maybe GET back at sundown during the time they were out of school. I think the experience as a cowgirl in Marvel’s life came in the winter of 1919. We missed the flu epidemic in 1918, but as schools were closed this year again I decided to take the family and go on the winter range in Dry Valley. The deepest snow on record fell that winter, and feed was short. I had gathered a number of cattle and put them on a mesa about six miles from our camp preparatory to bringing them in and feeding them hay and grain. Marvel went with me to bring them in. We had them about gathered when I began to fAll sick. I knew I had the flu. It was cold, so we turned them loose and with her leading the way, we managed to get to camp before dark where for the next few weeks I had about the only serious illness of my life. Our cabin was comfortable, and we were together. We still have cattle in a small way. To my way of thinking, agriculture and livestock is the biggest gamble on earth. Max and I are still at Spring Creek. Loile is assISTANt manager of Utah Farm Production Credit Association, and we all love it including Buck (Jerome Clyde Smith), Marvel’s son, and Ruth, his grandmother. Max has always stayed at the ranch, and I think he will never leave until we sell it. It’s really too small for all of us to make a living, but we all have an interest in it. Without Max we could not have held it together. Marvel lives in Arizona. I have “swapped lies and brushed shoulders,” as they say, with outlaws in early days as they passed thrOuGH to the northern cattle country, nearly always with a bunch of saddle horses, the ownership of which was a big question mark. For the past two years my wife and I have traveled in the south, mostly to Mexico, and in 1939 went to San Francisco Fair and then the northwest, sometime by ourselves and again with friends. With the exception of about five years in Arizona and California, we have spent our lives in San Juan County, Utah. [ON 8 JULY 1955, JULIUS BAILEY DIED IN HOLBROOK, ARIZONA, FROM A HEART ATTACK. HE WAS BURIED IN SNOWFLAKE, ARIZONA, ON 10 JULY 1955, WHEN HE WAS STILL WRITING THIS HISTORY.] AUTHOR: • Julius Mackelprang Bailey (1955) • Capitalized note at end by “Ruth Bailey” • Additions, indicated by CAPITALS; corrections of minor typographical errors; and change of dates to continental style, by Richard H. Thornton, husband of Sue Bailey (Sue is a daughter of Loile Bailey, see pedigree below) on 15 June 1997 SOURCE: • “Julius Bailey” [an autobiography] • “L.D.S. Family Record” book of Alvin Bailey (Alvin Bailey—Nephi Bailey) in the possession of Loile J. Bailey on 16 June 1997 (Loile J. Bailey, see pedigree below): extract from Monticello, Utah Ward Records • Copies of foregoing in possession of Sue B. and Richard H. Thornton, (June 1997: 2040 Laird Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-1902, telephone no. 801-582-1289) PEDIGREE: Marvel, Max, Loile Bailey—Julius Mackelprang Bailey

Ruth Perkins Bailey Autobiography

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Ruth Perkins (1885-1970) I was born in Cedar City, Iron County, Utah, 3 February 1885. My father, Benjamin Perkins, was born in• Wales, 14 January 1844, and came to America at 21 years of age. My mother, Mary Ann Williams, was also born in Wales on 27 August 1851 and came to Utah on the first train that came into Ogden, Utah, to meet my father who had sent to Wales for her. She was 18 years old and they were married in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, 4 October 1869 by Apostle Heber C. Kimball. They were among the pioneers called by the Latter-day Saint Church authorities in 1879 to settle the San Juan Mission in southeastern Utah and so with others then living in Cedar City, answered the call for the trip. The trip took six months over an uncharted desert that is described by some writers as being• the hardest pilgrimage ever made in America, not excepting the trip to Salt Lake City. Father had charge of the powder that blasted THROUGH rock to let the 87 wagons down to the Colorado River, since then known as "The Hole in the Rock," so they could make their THROUGH the wild untamed Indian Country into what is now Bluff City, San Juan County, Utah. After my two brothers were born, my parents were released from. the mission and went back to Cedar City, but after I was born they moved to Grover, Wayne County. They had a dairy and sold milk, butter and cheese. Three years later they decided definitely San Juan was to be their home so consequently we made the trip back in 1890. Almost the first recollection I have is the night we camped on the banks of the Colorado River on our return, where father and my older sisters with a trapper friend were having a boat ride. There was a bright moon, and I remember hearing their singing as it floated back over the still night air. We stayed at Bluff only a short time and then were called to settle Monticello, San Juan County, and there I stayed until Father and Mother passed away. Our first home was a cellar, waiting until Father could complete a log house. From here on I begin remembering happenings in my life. It was a happy time as childhood days usually are, THOUGH we had many scares from Indians and outlaws. There were large cattle ranches on both the north and south of us. The Harold Carlisle Ranch, north of Monticello, had about 80 cowboys, mostly renegades from everywhere seeking shelter from law. Their brand, hip, side and shoulder, was a straight bar on each place on about 30,000 head of cattle. The L. C. Ranch owned by Widow Lacy on the south side had about 17,000 head and others in proportion. It was then a cowman's paradise far enough removed from the big centers for safety for those who didn't want to meet up with the law. There were many people killed, usually in drunken or accidental killings when citizens were shot too. In spite of this, our home took things in its stride. Both my parents had particularly fine Welsh voices, and their family inherited some of it. My sister Alvira and I (the youngest two) spent many hours playing the guitar and mandolin and singing with our parents, and on special occasions the whole family sang together both in Welsh and English at home and in public. My first year of schooling was in a two room log schoolhouse where two teachers took care of the first eight grades. It was also our church and amusement hall in Monticello. A bell was our timepiece for all gatherings. Some of the boys had put a bottle up in the belfry, and some drunken fellows from one of the cow ranches come in one day while school was in session and tried to see who could break it with their revolvers. It was an ordeal not relished by teachers or students, but luckily they broke the bottle without anyone being hurt. My mother raised a few turkeys, and .one evening as the cowmen were leaving town one of the. cowboys spied a turkey gobbler in the street. Immediately he took a shot at IT and killed it. He was getting off his horse to get it when my brother John, about 10 years old, saw what had happened. He ran and started dragging the bird to the house. It was such a surprise to the man, that a kid would do such a thing that he was so pleased over it, he even went in and paid Mother for the turkey and then went off leaving it for the family. It could have been different. The first brick schoolhouse, built in about 1895, had sliding doors that could be opened making one big room, and the young folks felt .that they had everything necessary for successful recreation and pleasure. Our dancing music was violin and organ or harmonica played by some local boy. My husband, Julius Bailey, being one of the best. The girls, for ordinary wear, wore calico Mother Hubbard aprons, the boys, Levis overalls. We gave our own plays, etc. Julius BAILEY, always my sweetheart, and I completed the eighth grade in this school the same year; he helped me with mathematics, and I helped him with English. Working in Colorado each summer and with .what little help my parents could give, I had enough money to take me to business college first in Cedar City and finishing at Weber Stake Academy in Ogden, Utah, where the LATER president of the L.D.S. Church, David O. McKay, was president of the school. At Cedar City, while at the Branch Normal School; I lived with my sister, Kate P. Ryan. One year I rode a horse back from Monticello to. Thompson Springs, the nearest train we had, with a group of people going to Salt Lake. There was not enough room in the wagon for me. I was just past 14 years old, but as we were practically raised on horses, the 90 mile TREK was not much of a novelty. Along with my schooling I studied violin and vocal music, both chorus and solo work. In the orchestra, I played violin, French horn, bass and snare drums. At home my sister, Alvira, played the guitar; and I played the• guitar and mandolin with social groups and at home singing with the family to Mother's and Dad’s delight. After finishing my business course, I went back to Monticello and then to Colorado again to keep books at a large fruit ranch right at the foot of the Ute Mountains. About the year 1900 my father built a rock house with five rooms, a. basement and upstairs. It was one of the finest homes in the country, and because OF my mother's skill with flowers, IT looked almost like we lived in the tropical zone. No matter what she planted it grew, and we were all so proud of our new home. We lived there until Mother died in 1912. Then Dad and Aunt SaraH, his second wife, lived there until my oldest sister, Mary Jane Wilson, and HER family bought it. Father married Sarah Williams 28 October 1881. During the earlier years at Monticello, sundown meant all children must be in. Blinds were all drawn in case a bullet would be put THROUGH a window by a drunken cowboy trying to shoot out the light. For a few years at this time I stayed at home with my folks renewing old acquaintances, dancing, singing, horseback riding to our Blue Mountains and falling deeper in love with my boyfriend. It was at this time he was called to Provo to take the missionary course, about 1903, which he did but was never called on a mission. He was ordained an elder in 1903. On 18 April 1908, Julius Bailey and I were married in the parlor of my parents’ home in Monticello, Utah. His father Nephi Bailey, a Justice of the Peace, married us. This was a civil marriage. Only immediate members of the two families were present. We were sealed in 1948 in the Salt Lake Temple. Being very thrifty and saving, my husband had acquired a farm about five miles northeast of Monticello and had a nice two-room house completely furnished into which we moved. We called it the Vega Ranch, THROUGH which ran a clear stream of. pure mountain water. We immediately went here after the ceremony. Foolishly thinking our crowd of friends wouldn't follow us, but just in case, we locked doors and windows and in due time we were treated to a boisterous shivaree and all the other misery a crowd can think of. They took out the windows because we wouldn't open the doors and refused to leave until we promised to give a free dance for all. But we did have fun. Our farm, located near the foot of the Blue Mountains, also had a good view of the LaSal Mountains and never failed to inspire us with a desire to do our best. Our farm and cattle made us a goad living and on 8 May 1909, in Provo, Utah, our first baby girl was born. We called her Marvel Etoile, for which she never entirely forgave me and her dad. I still think it is a pretty name and fits her perfectly. In November 1911, we started for Provo because we had no doctor and our second baby was coming, but our plans were miscalculated and the baby, a boy, Max Elgin, was born on the train at Elgin, Utah [ON 6 NOVEMBER 1911]. Luckily there happened to be a doctor and nurse on the train, and so we were taken off on a stretcher at Green River, Utah, where we had• the best of care from our nurse, Mrs. Smith. We still stayed on at the Vega Ranch, building and improving it; enjoying visits from friends and relatives, who .often came to see us. On the third of April 1914, our other son, Loile Julius, was born at Moab, Utah. No family could have been happier or loved each other more. We spent part of each summer on the mountains in Colorado and Utah, fishing and taking care of the cattle. If we rode horses when the children were young, each of us carried one in our arms and Marvel riding a horse, or maybe we would go in a buggy or a wagon before we got our first car. Just before we sold: this ranch and I was along with my babies one lovely October day, my sister, Alvira, called me on the phone to say she had just had a call from Father who was at Cane Springs, Utah. Mother was there with him for a while. He asked that we come at once as Mother was very ill. My brothers, Dan and John, and sister, Vira, and myself left immediately in a buggy, in the blackest night I have ever seen, only to find Mother in a coma from which she never recovered. Father said to us, "Do as you like about getting a doctor; I am certain this is the end." The doctor confirmed his words. I see his dear face yet holding her hand, resigned to the inevitable. In two days she was gone and we, her family who loved her so much, laid her to rest, one of the most refined, modest, lovable mothers, that ever lived. People came from far and near to her funeral held 13 October 1912. She died on 11 October 1912. Burial was in the cemetery at Monticello, Utah. She was respected and loved by old and young alike. My father; Benjamin Perkins, died in Los Angeles, Calif6rma, 30 March 1926, while visiting my sister, Kathryn Ryan, and was brought back to Monticello and buried BESIDE my mother. Mother's family was blessed with the ability to write well; and as a consequence we all had our turns as secretaries in different church organizations; beginning with the Primary and on up. Music, too, was natural for us, and I was soloist in our ward choir for many years, music director in ward and stake Mutual, directing many choruses, cantatas, operettas; etc. I was ward director for twenty years. One operetta put on during World War II was especially worth mentioning: "Call to America" had 125 voices. It was a joy to work with that group and see them do so well on presentation. A mixed quartette, Fletcher arid Clinton Bronson, myself and MY good friend, Rhae Barton, with my husband's sister, Margaret B. Anderson, accompanist, were in demand all over the country. We went into Colorado and all the wards in San Juan Stake, and people received our contribution to their programs gladly; some programs were church, some civic and many times funerals. As the children grew older we did singing together, mixed quartettes AND duets, which was the biggest thrill I ever had in music, that of singing with my own children. Loile later joined the Salt Lake Tabernacle Choir and with his wife went with them in 1955 to Europe and sang at the dedication of the L.D.S. Temple in Switzerland and other places in Europe. Max played the violin, Loile the saxophone and Marvel the piano. At their first public appearance they played '''America,'' WITH Marvel the oldest, being about 12 years old. They also were used in operettas and singing at different places during grade and high schools as well as in different organizations and in other parts besides singing in the church. They received numerous awards in Primary, Sunday School and later the Mutual, DeaconS, etc. In all our activities my husband stood solidly behind us. While he didn't take an active part in most social events, he was particularly well informed on most subjects. His opinions were sought and accepted by all who knew him. A deep thinking man, he was popular when good, straight thinking was needed and wanted. So we felt if he approved, we were pretty much on the right track. He was one of the best county assessors San Juan County has ever known, for two consecutive terms. He made his own way after 14 years old and THOUGH he did active work in the church before that time, in Primary and Sunday School and Deacons, he was away so much he never was able to do regular and consistent work in the ward organizations. He loved all kinds of sports. In 1915, we built a nice home in Monticello, Utah, so the children and we could be nearer school and church and take part in social and church activities again. When our home was finished and their father was away at work, the children and I spent many happy hours before the fireplace or in a bedroom reading stories and being glad we were alive. Our lives• were made richer and fuller when he could be home with us. About this time, too, my husband assumed the work of foreman on the Spring Creek Ranch for a Kansas City man, R. G. Lafite and at the same time took care of our own cattle with Lafites'. The cattle were pure blood and range Herefords numbering 300 head. About two years later he took over the management of the Lafite farm as well, and we moved into a nice home on Spring Creek. Things went well, and we all loved our new home. In 1918 we shipped several carloads of cattle to Kansas City, landing there 10 November 1918. That was the day before the Armistice was signed, and the bottom just simply dropped out of the market. The cattle just about paid the freight, and we about WENT broke. We still had the farm THOUGH, and the boys were getting old enough to help. I took the children to Monticello to school in winter, and if a drought hadn't struck, things would have been fine. It was at this time my husband was elected assessor and treasurer of San Juan County for two terms. I was his deputy and deputy for several years after he decided he didn't want it anymore. We still took the cattle to the mountains in the summer. In 1921 I accepted a position in Monticello State Bank as assistant cashier. A year or so later the First National Bank came in, and I went in there as assistant cashier. When J. B. Decker, cashier, was elected county treasurer at this time, he also quit the bank and went to Colorado, and again I was appointed deputy treasurer for him. During childhood days in our family, we had very little sickness but had a few accidents. Loile was poisoned on homemade root beer, and we nearly lost him. Max was working on one of the old threshers where the grain was thrown from a stack IN which bundles were tied with a binder and then fed to the thresher. He caught his foot in the arm of the machine which pulled the bundles in to be threshed; was thrown over the machine and was caught in the knife as he threw himself out; and was cut• in the arm from shoulder to elbow right next to the big artery, which would have been fatal if the artery had been cut. With a doctor watching him, we took him to the hospital, and he got well with only a deep scar to tell of the accident. Farming was quite different then to what we have now in 1956. When my husband and his brother brought the first steam threshing machine into San Juan County, Utah, about 1912, we thought nothing of having 12 or 15 men at haying and threshing time to feed THREE times a day for days depending, of course, on how good the harvest was. We made our own bread, butter, cheese, soap, etc. No store to run to, so few things were forgotten when we did shop. Things on the farm went from bad to worse during the depression in the 1920's so we decided to liquidate all our holdings at Spring Creek and our home in Monticello and leave for awhile. In 1927 we left with the Fletcher Bronson family and went to Mesa, Arizona, but WE soon found cotton picking is an art and that we couldn't live on what we could make out of it. We saw and heard the dedication of the beautiful Arizona Temple but decided to go on to California where my sister, Kate Ryan, lived. So taking the children out of school, we went to Lancaster, California, where they entered school in Antelope Valley Union High School. Marvel finished high school in June 1928, there. She also married, had a boy and girl and. later came back to us at Spring Creek to stay and finished college at the Agricultural College at Logan, Utah. Max and Loile were very active in athletics at Lancaster, especially in basketball. As we had prospects of a good job in a church project, my husband accepted the job as foreman on a farm in Chino Valley, Arizona. We all took part in the church-here; absence of a church organization being one of the reasons for leaving California. There were few branches of our church, the Latter-day Saints there, and we wanted to get back where we would be able to take part again. After the harvest was over in Chino Valley, we had the chance to get back to our Spring Creek farm in Utah and so as that is what we had hoped for, we went back immediately. Conditions improved, and again, we commenced to gain financially and were happy. Marvel was in California and that summer, she and Loile, who had stayed with her to finish the school year, came home for a visit. The following year 1930-31, Max and Loile finished high school together in Monticello, Utah. Max decided to stay on the farm with his father, and the next year Loile started school at the Agricultural College at Logan, Utah, THOUGH he came home each summer to help. He finished and got his degree, Bachelor OF Science, in the year 1936. He then went on a mission to the Eastern States FROM November 1936 to 1938. After we went back to Spring Creek, Utah, IN December 1930, we again went into THE cattle business, building up each year and Max and his father building fences, planting, etc. as these things had been sadly neglected since we left there in 1927. Seasons were good, and it was beginning to look like home again; Marvel's two children were with us while she was at Logan in school. She graduated June 1940. Max married 1 October 1934, and he and his wife came to the ranch to live. We really had a wonderful life, especially when Loile and Marvel came home from college in the summer to be with us until they graduated and left us for their own homes. Buck (Jerome Clyde), Marvel's boy, stayed with us each summer until he graduated from high school and helped and loved the ranch as we did. Peggy went with Marvel when she went to teach in Snowflake. What changes time has brought in lives of the children of today (1956) as well as adults when every minute of every day is filled with church, school or social events. Now there is no chance to know the delight of long days, empty but for what we put into them, when there were hours to spend roaming God's beautiful outdoors in trees, sunshine and outdoor life. No wonder those days were so happy in our and our children's lives and when home was a home, not just a place to eat end. sleep and we did everything together, work and play alike. Our last baby was born at Moab, Grand County, Utah, 17 April 1932 but only stayed with us 24 hours and was buried in Monticello, San Juan County, Utah, 17 April 1932. Her name WAS Helen Bailey; she was blessed by Wilmer Bronson. Marvel married in Yuma, Arizona in 1928 and Max in Monticello IN 1934. Loile went to college at Logan for four years and then a mission to THE New England States and helped organize that mission as secretary for President Carl C. Eyring after both of them had worked in the Eastern States Mission to organize it. He came home in October 1938. He went to work for the government at Provo after his service. He volunteered for the U.S. Navy and was stationed at San Diego, California, for a year. He married a girl from Pleasant Grove, Utah, Anna Fugal, in 1942, and was sent to the South Pacific in 1943. Max also went in the Navy in 1944 to the South Pacific. Marvel completed college at Logan, Utah, and went to Arizona to teach school. She was divorced from her first husband, Clyde Bruce, and while in Snowflake met and married Jesse M. Smith. She had two children, Peggy Louise and Jerome Clyde Bruce. (Buck we called him, and he stayed with us each summer until Julius died in 1955). We loved him like our own. Peggy went with Marvel. Max had moved to town, so with our family all gone we decided to travel some. We saw most all the west coast from California up into Canada and Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and down into Old Mexico, Mexico City being outstanding to us, ON 10 JULY 1955 MY HUSBAND JUDE DIED IN HOLBROOK, ARIZONA; HE WAS BURIED IN SNOWFLAKE, ARIZONA. In the year 1956, being left alone, I took an eastern trip with a church group. We saw all the states where the Revolution and Civil Wars were fought and most of all Joseph Smith's home, Carthage Jail where he was persecuted so, the Sacred Grove, the Hill Cumorah Pageant. What hallowed places? You still feel his very presence there. George Washington' s home on the Potomac, New York, Statue of Liberty, Paul Revere's home, and where he made his famous ride to tell the people the British were coming. Into Canada to that side of the Niagara and then into the United States' side of the falls. Back by the Great Lakes, to Winter Quarters, where our own L.D.S. Saints suffered so much, and into Salt Lake again. With my husband gone and quite a sick spell in 1956, there doesn't seem too much left for me here. My children are all good to me, but IT seems there is little left for me to do for them. We both were proud of them. All of them• have been THROUGH the temples, sealed for time and eternity. None use whiskey, tobacco, tea or coffee, and while we all have our faults, we were happy for this. My husband used tobacco for years but quit, when we went to be sealed in the Salt Lake Temple, and I quit drinking tea, a habit loved by English and Welsh people. I'm thankful I have no more desire for it and hope I can still be of some use in the world to someone. Loneliness can be so terrible and a deterrent to accomplishing things. ON 23 FEBRUARY 1970, MY MOTHER FELL AND BROKE HER HIP. SHE HAD LIVED IN MESA FOR SEVEN YEARS. SHE KEPT HER OWN LITTLE APARTMENT AND SEEMED TO BE IN REMARKABLY GOOD HEALTH FOR ONE OF HER AGE. HER BODY JUST DIDN'T RECOVER FROM THIS ACCIDENT, HOWEVER,' AND IN JUST TWO MONTHS, ON 26 APRIL 1970, SHE PASSED FROM THIS LIFE. SHE LOOKED SO BEAUTIFUL ANDPEACEFUL; WE ALL FEEL SHE IS WHERE SHE HAS WANTED TO BE FOR SO LONG WITH DADDY. AUTHOR: • Ruth Perkins Bailey (1956) • Italicized note at end by Marvel Bailey Smith, a daughter • Additions, indicated by CAPITALS; corrections of minor typographical errors; and change of dates to continental style, by Richard H. Thornton, husband of Sue Bailey (Sue is a daughter of Loile Bailey, see pedigree below) on 15 June 1997 SOURCE: • "Ruth Perkins Bailey" [an autobiography] • Copy in possession of Sue B. and Richard H. Thornton (June 1997: 2040 Laird Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-1902, telephone no.801-582-1289) PEDIGREE: Marvel, Max, Loile Bailey-Ruth Perkins

History of Henry Bailey and Amelia Read - by Richard H. Thornton

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Henry Bailey (1815 - 1901) and Amelia Read (1818 - 1896) On 6 April 1815 (alternatively 1811 or 1814) in Hazel Grove, Cheshire, England, Henry Bailey was born to William Bailey and his second wife, Mary Bailey. Three years later, Amelia Read was born 2 October 1818 in North Crowley, Buckinghamshire, England, the oldest daughter and second of 11 children of William Read and Sarah Brimley. Henry and Amelia were married on 2 April (or 20 June) 1838; their first child, William Henry, was born 16 October 1838 in Cheshire. Henry joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Raunds branch of the British Mission on 3 March 1841; he was baptized by William Smith and then confirmed and ordained a priest by Lorenzo Snow, who several weeks later joined nine members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles at a momentous conference in Manchester (Elder Snow would later become an apostle and then president of the church). (Gibbons) Nearly five years after Henry joined the church, Amelia was baptized by Elder Robert Martin on 30 January 1846. At that time, Henry was “commencing to travel and labor in the Manchester conference, and [the family made its] home at New Hills, in Derbyshire, where [Henry] raised up a branch in that town, and represented them in the general conferences. [The family’s] home was always a home for the missionaries.” (February 1897 obituary) Following in the footsteps of his father, William, Henry was a shoemaker (a cordwainer); he taught the trade to his son Nephi. Henry and Amelia were the parents of ten children: five boys and five girls: • The oldest, William Henry, was born 16 October 1838 in Cheshire (he was lost at sea). • Sarah Elizabeth (who died as an infant) and Joseph Moroni were born one year apart, on 16 November 1842 and 16 December 1843, in Crawley, Buckinghamshire. • Another Sarah Elizabeth (who only lived to age three), was born in Bedfordshire in 1844. • Nephi was born 19 November 1846 in Derbyshire. • Leonora (14 July 1849), Tryphena (22 September 1851), Alvin (28 January 1856) and Mary Ellen (26 January 1858), were all born in Raunds, Northhamptonshire. • On 16 May 1858 the Baileys were received into a branch of the London Conference. Their youngest child, John Ezra, was born in London on 22 November 1862. At the time of the 1851 British Census, the family, with William, Joseph Moroni, Nephi and Lenore at home, were living in the village of Raunds. Henry’s father and mother, William and Mary Bailey, were living nearby in North Raunds. While in the Raunds branch of the British Mission, Henry Bailey baptized or confirmed several of his wife’s family; ordained one of her brothers a priest; and in 1854 ordained her father, William Read, an elder. Years later a church leader “spoke of his long acquaintance with Father Bailey and his wife in London for many years, and [said he] always looked upon them as a father and mother through their loving kindness shown to all that had anything to do with them.” (June 1897 obituary) Henry and Amelia, with their children Tryphena, Mary Ann and John, emigrated to America from London, leaving on the ship Minnesota on 4 September 1872; they crossed the plains with what Henry later called the “10 pound company” (letter) and settled in Ogden, Utah. Henry and Amelia were endowed on 17 July 1876. In a patriarchal blessing given to Henry in 1879 in Cedar City, Utah, he was admonished to be “faithfull unto the end of your days as you have been in your former days” and to “labor in the Temples” for the dead. The same patriarch then blessed Amelia, saying that she was of the blood of Ephraim; promising her that if faithful she would “have visions and dreams and manifestations”; telling her that “the Daughters of Israel [would] seek for council, and [Amelia would] lead them and prepare them to enter into the Temples of the Lord” and affirming that Amelia would “stand as a Mother to a numerous posterity.” On 10 October 1896, at the age of 78, Amelia died in Ogden “without a moment’s warning” of “neuralgia of the heart” (June 1897 obituary) or “fatty degeneration of the heart” (death certificate). At that time she had a posterity of ten children, 42 grandchildren and four great grandchildren. At her death Nephi wrote, “She died as she had lived, a faithful Latter-day Saint, a kind and faithful wife and devoted mother, and was beloved by all who knew her.” (February 1897 obituary) Less than one year later, on 20 September 1897, Henry wrote to his son Nephi, who was then serving a mission for the L.D.S. Church in England; Henry was approximately 86, Nephi was 50: “My dear boy, your poor father is worrying and feels lost, almost living all alone and feels at times if I went to my Darling Lamb’s grave I should lay down on the grave and stop there, and I can’t help it.” He then relates how his wife’s sister-in-law, Ellen Read had been sick for several weeks. “When she was taken sick the family went to fetch the Doctor to her, but she told your uncle [Josiah Read] to come down and fetch me. She said she has got more faith in me that all the Doctors combined, so I went and administered to her. She is quite low now, but I pray she may be made whole.” Lastly he tells Nephi of Bailey family relations and admonishes him to greet them and collect information. “Give my kind love to all of them, Find out if you can if they have forgave their Brother.” On 7 December 1901, Henry died at his home, 2743 Lincoln Avenue, in Ogden, of “general debility” and “old age.” AUTHOR: Richard H. Thornton, husband of Sue Bailey (Sue is a daughter of Loile Bailey, see pedigree below) (16 June 1997) SOURCES: • Obituary, “Amelia Read Bailey,” Deseret Evening News, 4 February 1897, page 5 • Obituary, “Amelia Bailey,” Deseret Evening News, 28 June 1897, page 6 • Obituary [for Henry Bailey], “Three Deaths—The Grim Visitor Calls at Three Homes,” The Standard: Ogden, Utah [Semi-Weekly], 10 December 1901, page 2 • The following papers in the possession of Darrell A. Anderson on 2 January 1985 (Darrell A. Anderson—Charlotte Bailey—Nephi Peter Bailey—Nephi Bailey): • Typescript of letter from Henry Bailey to his “Darling Boy Nephi,” dated 20 September 1897 • Patriarchal blessings given 26 May 1879 by Wm. McBride to Henry Bailey and to Amelia Bailey in Cedar City, Utah, Wm. Hull, scribe • “L.D.S. Family Record” book of Alvin Bailey (Alvin Bailey—Nephi Bailey—Henry Bailey) in the possession of Loile J. Bailey on 16 June 1997 (Loile J. Bailey, see pedigree below):, including: • Family group sheet for Henry Bailey and Amelia Read • L.D.S. Branch Records in Raunds and in London Conference • 1851 British census • Shipping Records, Crossing the Ocean, 1849-1925 • Death certificates for Amelia Bailey and Henry Bailey • Copies of the foregoing in possession of Sue B. and Richard H. Thornton, (June 1997: 2040 Laird Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-1902, telephone no. 801-582-1289) • Francis M. Gibbons, “Lorenzo Snow Spiritual Giant, Prophet of God, Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book, 1982, pp. 36-37. PEDIGREE: Marvel, Max, Loile Bailey—Julius Mackelprang Bailey—Nephi Bailey—Henry Bailey

Letter from Henry Bailey to Nephi Bailey, 20 Sep 1897

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

2743 Lincoln Avenue, Ogden, Utah Sept. 20, 1897 My Darling Boy Nephi: I received your very welcome letter today dated Sept. 4th, and was very pleased to hear that you have been and are enjoying yourself in your mission and pleased to hear that you saw brother John Smith and that he has arrived in Rounds safe. My dear boy I quite expected that he certainly would have called to see me before he left here. Brother John Adams sent me word from Cedar of his going to England on a mission. I was expecting him to call on me every day almost but as you say he thinks of calling as he comes back but I don’t know whether I may be alive or not when he comes back, for I am a poor thing got to be in my 87th year. But my Heavenly Father knows best. As to brother John Eakens that you named we come to Utah together and several other of the young Bucks all the same time with the 10 pound Company but brother Eakens has buried his wife and left Ogden and now living at Farmington and he has married another wife. I saw them in Ogden a little time ago. My dear boy your poor father is worrying and feels lost almost living all alone and feel at times if I went to my Darling Lambs grave I should lay down on the grave and stop there, and I can’t help it. All the folks are all well with the exceptions of your Aunt Ellen Read. She’s been sick several weeks. This is your uncle Josiah’s wife that I have named first. When she was taken sick the family went to fetch the Doctor to her but she told your uncle to come down and fetch me. She said she has got more faith in me than all the Doctors combined, so I went and administered to her. She is quite low now but I pray she may be made whole. Another subject my Dear Boy I sent you word in my last letter for you to record the same--That when you went to New Mills the place where you was born when I was traveling in the Manchester Conference in 1846, you would find every body in that town that knew all the Bailey family where your grandfather Bailey and mother died and was buried at Mayfield (5 miles from New Mills) and your uncle John and his wife Martha died there and buried there and some of their family may be living there yet. And in Staffordshire your uncle Daniel Bailey and wife were living at Gillow Heath or Bradley Green when I visited them in my younger days he was the son of my fathers first wife and his sister Ruth was living a short distance from there and her family also the Bailey families all came from Staffordshire known by everybody I guess. In my last letter I sent you word to record these items in your books so you will remember them when you have the chance go to Staffordshire and get the names of my mother’s father and mother as I can’t remember their names at all. Mother’s name was Bailey before she married my father and there is no end to the Bailey families in Staffordshire as they all sprang from there. My dear boy I sent you this in my last letter and told you to record them in your Journal so you would not forget them. And the Stafford family are from New Mills. Give my kind love to all of them. Find out if you can if they have [a word that looks like “Forgave”] their Brother. Your loving Father LETTER WRITTEN BY WILLIAM HENRY BAILEY WHEN 87 YEARS OLD. SENT TO HIS SON NEPHI BAILEY WHILE HE WAS ON HIS MISSION TO ENGLAND.

History of Nephi Bailey (by Richard H. Thornton)

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Nephi Bailey (1846 - 1925) On 9 (or 19) November 1846, Amelia Read Bailey gave birth to an infant son in New Mills, Derbyshire, England. Amelia had joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1846, following her husband Henry Bailey, who had joined the church four years earlier and who was then a missionary in the Manchester Conference. Likely in celebration of their new-found faith, they named their son Nephi, after the ancient patriarch in the Book of Mormon. New Mills was a manufacturing district in northern Derbyshire, approximately 170 miles from London. Nephi learned the shoemaking trade from his father, Henry, who in turn had learned to be a shoemaker from his father, William Bailey. In London, Nephi was baptized and confirmed a member of the L.D.S. Church on 16 November 1861 and then ordained a deacon on 2 April 1864 by his father Henry. On 14 July 1868, Nephi left England on the ship Colorado. Upon his arrival in Utah, he obtained work in one of the construction camps organized by Brigham Young under contract from the Union Pacific Railroad. Nephi was present at Promontory Point on 10 May 1869 when the last spike was driven joining the transcontinental railroad from east to west. Nephi then returned to his old trade of shoemaking. Within a few years, Nephi left Ogden and settled in Cedar City, Utah. There on 4 September 1873 he married 17-year old Annie Eva Mackelprang, who was the daughter of Peter Mackelprang and Margaret Sorenson, Danish converts to the church. Three and one-half years later, on 16 March 1877, Nephi was ordained an Elder and Annie and Nephi were sealed to each other in the St. George Temple. For the first seven years of their marriage, the family stayed in Cedar City, living in the city during the winter and during the summer staying on Cedar Mountain to work in a dairy, raise a garden and enjoy the clear spring water. In Cedar City Nephi was active in music (assisting Joseph Coslett in a well-known male quartet and serving as a choir leader) and dramatics (taking part in a dramatic club that specialized in “plays of the better class”). In May 1880, just months after the original “Hole in the Rock” expedition first settled Bluff in San Juan County, Nephi and Annie moved with their three young children (Peter, Henry and Moroni) from Cedar City to Bluff. The journey took a month and required the party to take apart the wagons and move them a few pieces at a time across the Colorado River at Lee’s Ferry. On 6 October 1880 in the St. George Temple, Nephi and Annie had their two oldest children, Nephi Peter and William Henry, sealed to them. While at Bluff, a son, Julius Mackelprang, was born on 13 December 1882. Life was difficult: the river and well water were bad and Annie was concerned about the Indians (who on one occasion tried to buy her son Moroni). Eight years later, in 1888, the family moved again, and Nephi became one of the original pioneers to settle Monticello. The initial settlement in 1887 had run into conflict with the cattle ranching operations of Edmund and Harold Carlisles’ Kansas and New Mexico Cattle and Land Company and the L.C. outfit. The San Juan stake president, Francis A. Hammond, called additional men from Moab, Bluff and Mancos, Colorado to build homes and construct a town. “Private homes and a meetinghouse arose from the sagebrush flats, while the irrigation ditch snaked its way across the flats to water the crops. A rudimentary livestock and agricultural economy blossomed.” (McPherson) The family’s first home was a one room log cabin with a dirt roof that leaked when it rained. Nephi was active in the affairs of the town and San Juan County, which was home to a large cattle industry. Nephi continued his work as a shoemaker, and his son Julius remembered his making boots for the cowboys. Nephi and Annie had eleven children: • Nephi Peter, William Henry and Joseph Moroni were born between 1874 and 1879 when the family lived in Cedar City. • Julius Mackelprang, Angus Mackelprang (who was drowned shortly before his second birthday) and Margaret Sophia were born between 1881 and 1887 after the family had moved to in Bluff. • Margaret Sophia, Jesse M., Alvin M., Victor M. and Elmer M. (twins) and Ralph Arthur were born between 1890 and 1899 after the family’s final move to Monticello. • The couple also adopted Thelma Pointer Bailey, a girl born in 1902 in Colorado. In 1896, at age 49 and the year that the state of Utah was admitted to the Union, Nephi was called to serve a mission for the L.D.S. church in Great Britain. He left behind his wife and a family of nine children. Traveling to Salt Lake City, Nephi was set apart in the Temple Annex by President Seymour B. Young. Nephi was assured that he had been called “under the inspiration of [the Lord’s] divine spirit”; was “endowed with power from on high that [he could] go forth trusting in the Lord”; was given “power over the winds and the waves and over wicked men”; was admonished to be “pure in mind and in person”; and was promised that every blessing that he desired before the Lord would be his. Nephi served for 20 months in the Lancaster District. Experiences recorded in his missionary journal include: • The baptism of two young ladies and a boy. • Speaking for 35 minutes and telling the crowd “that they do not believe in the same order of Priesthood that constitutes the organization of the primitive church; they have no apostles and prophets.” • Teaching Bible classes. • Holding mutual improvement meetings. • A musical society sending him a “plump” $10.00, making $25.00 he had received from the people of Monticello since Christmas. “It shows people are thinking of me.” • Trying to decide if he should go tracting in the rain. “I feel I am not doing enough when I consider what sacrifices are being made at home to supply me with money.” • Going to town on market day: “Here are flowers in abundance and oranges, green stuff such as cabbage and coleyflowers, radishes and onions was on the market, also cattle and fowles of all kinds.” • Studying the dreams of “Nebuchadzzar,” Daniel and the three Hebrew children and spending “a long time finding who was the founders of Jerusalem.” • Reporting that Annie Gerard had “left her home. Her parents have been very unkind to her. Her father has thrashed her several times and her family has been hard on her because she believes in the Gospel as taught by the Latter Day Saints.” • “Bro. Osler is sick. I administered to him last night. He has just come down stairs and feels some better.” • “I gave out 112 tracts today; return home tired.” • Going to a fair (“There is many snares laid for the young in such a fair as this.”) • Being challenged by the presiding elder after Nephi had baptized four persons; had Nephi received the proper approvals. • “In the evening we had a fine outdoor meeting on the Market Place at Wigan. There was 4 young men and 5 Elders. We had our silk hats and drew lot of attention. I was the first speaker. I preached to the people to hear us and believe that we were desirous of doing them good.” • At a later meeting: “I spoke perhaps ½ hour to a very intelligent congregation that listened to me with rapt attention. There is something particular[ly] fascinating in talking to an outdoors congregation. You seem to be put on your mettle. The Elders said I spoke well and straight from the shoulder.” • News of the Spanish American War filling the air. • Singing a song for Brother Hammond’s farewell. On 20 September 1897 Nephi’s 87 year old father, Henry, had written him a letter with news of friends at home and requests that Bailey relatives be looked up in England. At the end of his missionary service, Nephi requested a transfer to the Manchester District (the same district in which his father had served nearly 50 years earlier) to discharge the duty. Nephi’s journal is filled with reports of visiting cousins, looking up sextons’ records and going to cemeteries. He comments on the “grass, trees and blossoms and birds and flowers” and wishes that his family was there with him. He wrote “I see farms and fields and meadows gay / While in the distance far away / Flocks in spiritive groups / A simple limped lake in sunbeams tremble.” Annie took in boarders to help support the family while Nephi was gone. Nephi writes tenderly in his journal, “My dear old partner is not well. She has too much work and worry, poor old soul, I shall be glad when I can be back to lighten some of her burdens.” By correspondence, father and mother shared the burdens and joys of rearing children: • A son who “is as unstable as water. It would be much pleasanter if he would be more thoughtful, but he makes promises and breaks them at will. He likes to ride and that is all. Poor boy, he don’t know how much trouble he is making for us.” • A wife who was “troubled in her mind because the boys do not do as they ought.” • Having “a muddled up dream last night. I thought Julius was in some trouble of some sort, sick or an accident.” • Of receiving a letter from his “little daughter” and sending some flower seeds back to her. • “My wife is about tired of being alone with that large family, and I know it must be quite a trial. She has managed to keep the house together and done fine in both management as well as teaching and giving council and advice to the boys, and I appreciate her and hope to be able to ease up her burdens before long. O how the bells are ringing this morning. They have a strong delightful sound. May the Lord give comfort and courage to my wife and may the family be kept from harm and challenges. O boys, you are wayward, but I hope you may always retain the faith of the Gospel.” After returning from his mission in 1898 (sailing home from Glasgow on the ship Furnessia), Nephi was ordained a seventy by Rudger Clawson (Monticello Ward records) and then a high priest on 15 June 1899 by John Henry Smith (family group record). Journal entries in February 1898 record typical days for Nephi after returning from his mission: • “I spend some time in the Shoe Shop mending and making.” • “The boys went down to the Vega and got a load of hay.” • “Today I work in the Shop and marry a couple from Delores, Colo[rado], and the evening we have Choir practice, and I talk to the Choir. They seem to think I am the most suited to be their leader and so express themselves.” • “I finished a pair of boots and sent them down to Bluff.” • “I spend the evening at home.” • “The day is spent in fixing up around the premises.” • “I and family go to Sunday School and afternoon meeting. I am called upon to preach and get warmed up a little.” Within five months after returning from his mission (February 1898), Nephi was elected as a justice of the peace in Monticello. He continued to hold the office in 1908, which allowed him to perform the marriage ceremony when his son Julius was married to Ruth Perkins. For a number of years, Nephi served as superintendent of the Monticello Sunday School (1925 obituary). He also served two terms as mayor of Monticello (1925 obituary). Nephi “was always working,” his obituary records. “Even up to the day before he died he was putting [in] 8 and 9 hours per day. About midnight he woke and complained of a pain in his chest which grew steadily worse. [His wife] called a physician who held out little hope for him.” Nephi died at his home in Monticello on 2 July 1925, at 78 years of age. At the time of his death, he was chairman of the Pioneer Association (1925 obituary). AUTHOR: Richard H. Thornton, husband of Sue Bailey (Sue is a daughter of Loile Bailey, see pedigree below) (12 June 1997) SOURCES: • Obituary, “San Juan County Pioneer Former Monticello Mayor Answers Call of Death,” The Deseret News, 9 July 1925, section 2, page 6 • Obituary, “Amelia Read Bailey,” Deseret Evening News, 4 February 1897, page 5 • Autobiography of Julius Bailey, written in 1955. • Autobiography of Ruth Perkins Bailey, written in 1956. • The following papers in the possession of Darrell A. Anderson on 2 January 1985 (Darrell A. Anderson—Charlotte Bailey—Nephi Peter Bailey—Nephi Bailey): • “History of Nephi Bailey,” author unknown, date unknown • “A Missionary Blessing” pronounced upon Nephi Bailey by Pres. Seymour B. Young 18 September 1896, Martin S. Lindsay, Reporter • “Extracts from the Missionary Journal of Nephi Bailey” (26 entries) • “A Short Life History of Annie Eva Agusta Mackelprang,” author unknown, date unknown, • “L.D.S. Family Record” book of Alvin Bailey (Alvin Bailey—Nephi Bailey—Henry Bailey) in the possession of Loile J. Bailey on 16 June 1997 (Loile J. Bailey, see pedigree below): • Nephi Bailey birth certificate • L.D.S. Branch Records in London Conference • Extracts from St. George Temple Sealing Records • Extracts from Monticello, Utah Ward Records • Shipping Records, Crossing the Ocean, 1849-1925 • Extract from Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary • Typescript of the Missionary Journal of Nephi Bailey 1897 • Copies of the foregoing in possession of Sue B. and Richard H. Thornton, (June 1997: 2040 Laird Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-1902, telephone no. 801-582-1289) • Robert S. McPherson, “Monticello,” in Allan Kent Powell, ed., Utah History Encyclopedia, Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah Press, 1994, pp. 372-373. PEDIGREE: Marvel, Max, Loile Bailey—Julius Mackelprang Bailey—Nephi Bailey

History of Annie Eva Mackelprang Bailey - by Margaret

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Annie Eva Mackelprang (1855 - 1946) Annie Eva Agusta Mackelprang was born 3 October 1855 in Copenhagen, Denmark. Her father, Peter Mackelprang, was a tanner and shoemaker in Kvong, Denmark. Among her immediate ancestors were master shoemakers, attorneys, merchants, school teachers and parish priests. Her mother and father were converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were cast out of their beautiful homes in Denmark. Their parents and all their relatives were embittered. This situation continued until they emigrated to America about 1855. Annie was only a few weeks old when the trip started. They were eleven weeks on the stormy ocean. Before her Grandfather Sorenson died, he became friendly to the L.D.S. missionaries. Apostle ANTHON H. Lund stayed at his home in Denmark and was well received. They became friendly, but he was not converted. His daughter Margaret (Annie’s Mother), whom he had sent from home, LATER had his endowment and sealing ordinances done in the temple. After coming to Utah the Mackelprang family settled in the old fort at Cedar City. Later they lived in the main part of Cedar City. They became very prosperous and were known for their hospitality. When the people were settling southern Utah (Dixie), there would be as many as ten or twelve families staying or camping at their place night after night. They would feed the teams and give them food and supplies to help them on their way. The children were taught to piece quilt blocks by hand as they had no sewing machines. They sewed all their clothes by hand and wove some of their cloth. They wove heavy bed sheets that would last for years They would spin the yarn that was used in knitting their winter stockings. The young girls wore chemises, long panties below their knees and large full petticoats of quilted petticoats. These were sometimes quilted with a little dress wool either batting up to the knees during the winter. Their dresses were full pleated or gathered and had long sleeves. Some of the stockings were knit from cotton as coarse as wrapping twine. The head dress was usually a sunbonnet. Shoes were good and heavy—the nicest had patent leather on the tips of the toes. Girls were taught to be very modest. Till her death Annie felt that a chemise, petticoat and long sleeves were necessary to being fully dressed. Girls always rode side saddle, except when a crowd of girls were away from town away from home alone. Annie was baptized 30 July 1867. During childhood she hired out to do housework, getting two dollars a week. She was married to Nephi Bailey 4 September 1873. They lived in Cedar City in the winter and for about six years went on Cedar Mountain in the summer and worked on the dairy and raised a garden. They were endowed in the St. George Temple 16 March 1877. Nephi was active in music and dramatics for some years in Cedar City. He assisted Joseph Coslett in his then famous male quartet. He was choir leader for some years in Cedar City and was very active in the dramatic club, which specialized in plays of the better class. With their three children, Peter, Henry and Moroni, Annie and Nephi left Cedar City and went to Bluff, San Juan County in May 1880. In the company were Bishop Nielson and HIS wife Elsie, Daniel Perkins (youngest brother of Benjamin Perkins) and Hyrum Perkins, his wife Rachel and their two children. They made the trip in wagons and were on the road a month. The wagons were taken apart and moved a few pieces at a time across the Colorado River at Lee’s ferry. It was a long hard trip. The weather was warm when they reached Bluff. The river water was bad and THE well water terrible. After being accustomed to the good spring water in Cedar Mountain, it seemed almost unbearable. Later a spring was discovered in a canyon near town. This provided better water. Annie was very thrifty and ambitious. She helped build their new home. She made butter and cheese, the clothes they wore and the soap they used. They gathered honey from the bees AND wild berries from the creeks and the canyons; hauled wood for fuel; and lived a very industrious and independent life. She purchased a knitting machine and began to knit leggings for the Navajo Indians. These she sold to the agents at the trading posts. She kept very busy as orders came in for hundreds of pairs. One day several Navajo chiefs came there with their beads, rings, silver and other valuables and offered them all in exchange for her little boy, Moroni, not two years old. He was a beautiful child with black, wavy hair. This event caused her a great deal of worry, and she pinned his night gown to her night clothes for fear they might come in the night and steal him. She was very frightened over the Indians, and there were many scares from them during their days in Bluff. An example of her courage took place one day when an Indian called her a liar when she told him she didn’t have any biscuits for him. It made her angry. She took him by the seat of his pants and tripped him head first into her bread pan. This greatly amused the other Indian with him. Angus, a two year baby boy, was drowned just three weeks before the birth of her daughter Margaret. Henry found his body in a ditch near the house. He wore a little red dress. President Brigham Young attended the funeral and dedicated the grave. Of this period in her life Annie said: “I felt like I couldn’t endure this trouble. I couldn’t sleep, eat or talk. I just wandered about the cliffs in Bluff until President Young gave me a blessing. This was a great consolation to me.” Her daughter was born three weeks after this accident, and she was a nervous, delicate and cross baby. “This occupied my mind and kept me from worrying so much. Jane Walton and Grandma Adams were like sisters to me. Everyone in Bluff WAS so lovely and kind, but these two were my intimate friends. Sister Walton helped me with my cross baby—fed her tea for over a year.” She also says of these friends: “On wash day when sister Adams and sister Walton washed, I would cook dinner and hang out a white dish towel on the high clothes line post when it was ready for them. Then when I washed, one of them would cook. We always took turns.” ANNIE was a counselor in the first Relief Society in Monticello. Some years later she served as counselor for a period of two years and for five more. While her husband was on a mission to England, she served as president of the primary. She also helped nurse the sick, and in her home she was always open to friends and neighbors far and near. During World War I, she knit hundreds of socks for the Red Cross on her knitting machine besides hand knitting. Temple work was another great interest in Annie’s life. Although living far from any temple, she sent money to have endowment work done for hundreds of souls. Her favorite reading was the standard church works and magazines. She was the mother of ELEVEN children, ten of whom she raised to maturity: NEPHI PETER, WILLIAM HENRY AND JOSEPH MORONI (BORN IN CEDAR CITY BETWEEN 1874 AND 1879); JULIUS MACKELPRANG, ANGUS MACKELPRANG (WHO WAS DROWNED SHORTLY BEFORE HIS SECOND BIRTHDAY) AND MARGARET SOPHIA (BORN IN BLUFF BETWEEN 1881 AND 1887); AND MARGARET SOPHIA, JESSE M., ALVIN M., VICTOR M. AND ELMER M. (TWINS) AND RALPH ARTHUR (BORN IN MONTICELLO BETWEEN 1890 AND 1899). In addition she adopted one child, Thelma, whom she raised till Thelma married in 1919. In her later years, she mothered two grandsons Loyse and Keith, after the broken marriage of their parents, and she helped to raise four other grandchildren—Maxine, Gerald, Mernice and Kirk¬—children of her son Elmer. ANNIE died 3 January 1946 at the age of 90. AUTHOR: • Margaret Bailey Anderson (Margaret Bailey—Annie Eva Mackelprang) (date unknown) • Additions, indicated by italics, and minor editing throughout by Richard H. Thornton, husband of Sue Bailey (Sue is a daughter of Loile Bailey, see pedigree below) on 12 June 1997. SOURCE: • “A Short Life History of Annie Eva Agusta Mackelprang”; original was located in the papers of Charlotte Bailey Anderson, 2 January 1985 (Charlotte Bailey—Nephi Peter Bailey—Annie Eva Mackelprang) • “L.D.S. Family Record” book of Alvin Bailey (Alvin Bailey—Nephi Bailey—Henry Bailey) in the possession of Loile J. Bailey on 16 June 1997 (Loile J. Bailey, see pedigree below): extracts from St. George Temple Sealing Records • Copies of foregoing documents in possession of Sue B. and Richard H. Thornton, (June 1997: 2040 Laird Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108-1902, telephone no. 801-582-1289) PEDIGREE: Marvel, Max, Loile Bailey—Julius Mackelprang Bailey—Annie Eva Mackelprang

Home of Nephi Bailey

Contributor: kevsha Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Nephi Bailey’s lumber home was built in 1896. Nephi married Annie Mackelprang on March 16, 1877. They moved to Monticello in 1899 and first built a log house. Within ten years Nephi and his wife had built this beautiful, two-story, lumber home, the first in the town. He also had the first piano and the first set of gaslights put in his home in 1909. Later, gaslights were installed in the Courthouse. Nephi was a little man, neat, well dressed, and English. His wife, Annie, was a sister of Bishop Jones’ wife, Mary. It is said that the two sisters filled the house with laughter when they were together. Annie was thrifty and ambitious. She made butter and cheese and sold it. She also amplified the family income by purchasing a knitting machine. Her knitted stockings and leggings were in great demand by both Indians and whites. With her handloom she wove rag rugs and carpets, and sold these also. She was the mother of 12 children and still found time to serve her church. She died January 3, 1946. The house was sold, and it has had many owners since then. It still stands across from the Community Church. It is not the beautiful house that it was when Annie and Nephi lived there.

Life timeline of Nephi Bailey

Nephi Bailey was born on 9 Nov 1846
Nephi Bailey was 13 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Nephi Bailey was 14 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Nephi Bailey was 28 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Nephi Bailey was 37 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Nephi Bailey was 48 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Nephi Bailey was 57 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Nephi Bailey was 70 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Nephi Bailey died on 2 Jul 1925 at the age of 78
Grave record for Nephi Bailey (9 Nov 1846 - 2 Jul 1925), BillionGraves Record 9306586 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States