Myrtle Woodruff

1892 - 1959


Myrtle Woodruff

1892 - 1959
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Early Memories and History Dale's Birth; I don't remember either Dale or Gary’s birth. Dale was born 11 October 1936 in Mom and Dad’s bedroom on the Abbot place. Dr. White and aunt Myrtle helped Mom. Dad and Mother said Dale was nearly black at birth. They had to use instruments to get his huge
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Myrtle Woodruff
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Myrtle Woodruff


Elwood Cemetery

West 10000 North
Elwood, Box Elder, Utah
United States


Till Jesus Comes


April 4, 2013


April 4, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Myrtle...

We found more records about Myrtle Woodruff.

Grave Site of Myrtle


Myrtle Woodruff is buried in the Elwood Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Sara Sophie Myrtle Woodruff Obituary

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Birth: 1892 Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA Death: 1959 Salt Lake City Salt Lake County Utah, USA Myrtle Woodruff, 66, died on June 6, 1959, in a Salt Lake City Hospital. She was in Salt Lake City visiting a sister when she was taken to the hospital. She had been a lifetime resident of Tremonton, Utah. She was born on December 28, 1892 in Salt Lake City, Utah, a daughter of Marion and Bertha Jensen Woodruff. She was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Surviving are the following brothers and sisters, Vernon J Leland and Elmer Woodruff, Tremonton, Utah, Mrs Ella Thompson, Elwood, Utah; Mrs Iva Madsen, Deweyville, Utah; Earl Woodruff, Lakeport, California; Mrs Mamie Hill, Cove, Oregon; Mrs Ione Shaw, Salt Lake City, Utah; and Mrs Rosa Brainard, Greenville Tenn. Burial was held in the Elwood Cemetery, Elwood, Utah.

Early Memories and History by Ivan Woodruff

Contributor: koand Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Early Memories and History Dale's Birth; I don't remember either Dale or Gary’s birth. Dale was born 11 October 1936 in Mom and Dad’s bedroom on the Abbot place. Dr. White and aunt Myrtle helped Mom. Dad and Mother said Dale was nearly black at birth. They had to use instruments to get his huge shoulders clear of the birth canal. Dad said his head was miss-shaped and pointed as a result. Mother hemorrhaged and had to stay in bed for two weeks. Aunt Myrtle and Dad spent many long hours nursing them back to health before they were strong enough to do their daily activities. I have always felt this early beginning for Dale was the reason for his FEISTY attitude the rest of his life. Gary had stories to talk about those experiences. Gary's Birth; Gary was born 6 December 1937 in the Tremonton City hospital. Dr. White assisted Mom. It must have been uneventful. Mom came home with this cuddly little bundle. I say that because he always seemed to be her favorite. You will understand what I mean as you read the rest of our childhood adventures. BROWNIE OUR DOG We had a big collie named Brownie. He was brown and white and loved us probably more than we loved him. (Ref. Picture) Dad made a harness out of old sugar factory web belts. We would slip it over his head and around his shoulders. It was similar to a horse harness only much lighter. On the end of the tugs were snap on hooks that we could hook to the tongue of our Red Flyer wagon. This wagon had dual rear wheels and a little stake rack you could mount on the rear half. Now, of course, I was the MUSH master with a willow long enough to reach over Brownie's nose with some meat on it. I sat in front. Dale was the Dr. with a paper bag and sandwiches or other goodies for us. Gary was always the wounded man. It was our job to get Gary across the Alaskan strait to aid. Gary was just a baby. It was all he could do to sit in the back of the wagon, his back against the stake rack and hold on. Everything went very well. Brownie would take us anywhere as long as we fed him a piece of meat or something every once in a while. All too often, according to Mom, we would see one of our cats. Brownie would see it to. He would get so excited he could hardly stand it. He would stop and look back to see what he should do. Usually Dale, sometimes me, would say SACHEM! and before we could say Brownie all kinds of things would happen in the next few seconds. The dog would go tearing after the cat. Dale and I would try to bail out, not successfully most of the time. On the first zig or zag the cat would make to get away, the wagon would flip over and roll one or two times. It didn't slow Brownie down much. Gary usually got dumped, but if he was holding on tight, he got dragged until he let go. Dale and I would take off and hide expecting the worst from our mother. Mother would come tearing out of the house throwing cooking utensils at the dog, apron strings flying. Somehow Gary always survived and was cooed, coddled, and comforted in her arms, as only a mother can. He sometimes got a little scratched up, muddy and minor cuts but he healed fast and was soon ready to go again. In fact, I believe he sometimes hung on longer to get the extra love and attention. Three Pet Lambs Harold Selman, a big sheep man and one of our close friends who became our neighbor when we moved to the Morgan place, used to bring us orphaned Lambs. They would die unless someone took them, bottle fed and nursed them along. This one spring he brought three lambs, one for each of us boys. Mine was Blackie. He had a black face and 4 black feet. Dales Brownie had light brown wool on its nose, around its eyes, one front leg and right rear leg. Gary's Whitey, you guessed it, was all white. Mom fixed us those 8 & 12 oz. pop bottles. It was our job to heat the milk, pour it into the bottles, put on a big rubber ****** and teach the lambs to drink. This was accomplished by pouring warm milk in your hand so it could be spilled in your fingers, forcing the finger into the lambs mouth until it started to suck then quickly substituting the ****** on the bottle for your finger. We nursed Blackie, Brownie, and Whitey from the time they weighed about 4 lb and couldn't walk until they were bigger than Gary in height (lambs full grown). We thought the meanest thing Dad ever did was to cut off their tails & dock Blackie, the only ram. Gary once in a while when Whitey was small sneaked her into bed with us. We all slept in the same regular size bed in the south east corner of the house. It didn't usually turn out to well because there was often a problem in the bed in the morning. Mom and Dad tolerated the lambs going in and out of the house. They would follow us everywhere. They would have to hold them until we went out of sight and couldn’t be heard if we wanted them to stay home Needless to say, they loved us and we loved them. One day in the fall when we came home from Grandpas, they weren't there. Questioning Mom and Dad just brought funny expressions like "I guess they have gone away. or They are probably happy where they are now.” Latter we set down to dinner and Mom served this funny looking greasy white meat. I think it must have been lamb chops. Dad made this comment, "Boy that’s good mutton.” I had been to school. I knew that mutton meant lamb. I leaned over and whispered to Gary, "I think we are eating one of the lambs.” Gary spit some out of his mouth and screamed, "WE are eating Whitey". Mom got up from the table bawling and went into the bedroom. After three stern, tearful looks were given to Dad, we followed her. A little later we heard Dad throw his knife and fork down on the table, slam the door and go outside. Mutton was never a popular meat item at our table after that. YOU WILL GO IN THE DITCH. Told by Mother (Eliza Lundberg Woodruff) Late in the fall of 1936, Ivan was 3 1/2 years old, there had been a heavy snowfall. It was hard to see the ends of the culvert that mark the safe entrance into the drive on the old Abbot place. There is sufficient snow and mud to make turning around or just driving around the yard impossible. There is a 15 foot strip from the road to our board walk by the porch door that’s safe for automobile traffic. The Watkins Man drives in, conducts his business with Mom and gets ready to leave. Ivan follows. As he gets in his car, Ivan says “mans you better look or you go in the ditch". As he backed out, he missed the culvert, ran in the ditch, high centering the axel. It was impossible to dig and push out by hand. Ivan ran out and said,"I told you would run into the ditch". The salesman had to go in the house and wait while Dad came in from the feed lot, harnessed the team and pulled him out. During this time, he must have herd Ivan say, "I told the mans he would run in the ditch," several times. CRUSHED WAGON. Told by Mother (Eliza Lundberg Woodruff) Ivan had got a small toy wagon for Christmas in 1936. He had been playing with it and left it in the driveway. Uncle Elmer drove in the yard and ran over it, smashing it to pieces. Forever after whenever anyone parked in the driveway, Ivan ran out and said, "Don't park in the driveway mister cause Uncle Elmer will run right over it.” SPECIAL NEIGHBORS AND FRIENDS Uncle Elmer and Aunt Lila Woodruff lived just a few feet away from us on the Abbot place. They had four girls. Leila Born in 1931, 2 years older than Ivan, Phyllis, born in 1933, a couple of months older than Ivan, Janet was Dales age, and Charlene was close to Gary's age It is hard to explain the close relationship of our two families. It was almost if we were one totally integrated family. We played together, and we all worked very hard together. I remember Dale, Gary, & our cousins Leila, Phyllis, and Janet, and I learned to work. The girls worked every bit as hard as the boys. They were expected to thin as many beets. Leila was the fastest. She was an acre a day girl. They picked up as many potatoes, tromped the hay wagons, picked corn, and loaded corn and sugar beets the same as we did. The differences occurred in the mornings and evenings when they helped with meals and dishes while we did outside chores. Every girl, however, did help milk cows and throw hay in the feed manger. On the Abbot Place we had up to 7 cows to milk by hand every night and morning. I think back now of Mom, (Eliza) and Aunt Lila thinning sugar beets in the middle of June, lO5 degree temperature. They would thin the ends of those 80 rod rows so they could be near the ends to nurse the two babies sitting there. I suppose it was Gary and Charlene. I have never known to women who supported their husband and family as these two did. I salute you Eliza (Lundberg) Woodruff & Lila (Madsen) Woodruff A HARD HEAD To understand this adventure you need this sketch of our tool shed, platform in front of the entrance and the steps leading to it. Now you can see from the sketch the most fascinating, forbidden, place for kids to play was the tool shed. Dad had a big bench grinder up there he used to sharpen mower knives. Just imagine the sections, mower guards rivets, hammers, saws harness repair tugs, and stuff. Knife and guard plates, I bolts, harrow teeth, harness straps, riveter, horse collars, beet topping knives, files ****. It was wild. Now the steps were not like you had going to your basement. It was just 2x~ tread board,"Aia4led~t~ the stair support sides. There was. a2x4 railing about waist high on a man to keep you from falling off. The steps were about 36 inches wide. Gary could just touch the railing on the top landing, if he held his hands high above his head. Of course , that whole area was off limits to any young Woodruff adventurers. It was too dangerous. You could fall between the steps, off the side of the steps and anywhere off the landing. Leila and I were the only ones allowed to go up there with our parents when we had to hold the end of a mower knife while the fathers manipulated the other end around the grinder. As usual, we three boys figured what Mom and Dad didn't know wouldn't hurt them. So we quite often entered the exciting forbidden domain. It would begin with me climbing the steps on the outside to protect Dale from falling and he would be climbing standing up in the center slightly behind Gary. Gary would be crawling on all fours next to the building. One afternoon we had reached the inner sanctum and were playing boats with mower guards. We had never seen an airplane yet. I guess Gary got bored and decided to go out on the landing and play "BIGGER THAN ANYBODY.” There he was hanging onto the rail with his hands, on tippy toe with his little belly kind of swaying over the edge, watching ants or something 13 feet below. Dale and I just kind of sat back there and observed the situation. You know everyone can do their own thing when they are having fun. About that time, Mom must have been looking out the porch window. She came tearing out of the house and she screamed; Now, I believe Gary would have been alright if she hadn't screamed. When she did, it scared Gary and he let go of the railing. Mom was nearly to him before he hit the ground. Gary sailed out into space in a beautiful swan dive and lit spread eagled in a big BELLY FLOPPER Dale and I thought this was a little too much excitement, so we just tried to hide. When Gary hit the ground, it knocked every bit of breath he had in him plum out and he didn't get it again for a minute or two. When Mom picked him up, his mouth was open, his eyes bugged out of his face in one of those contorted expressions of How do I Get MY Breath? Mom thought he was dead. There were a couple more screams of Lee! Lee! before any sort of composure was regained and those powerful lungs sucked in much needed oxygen. He had no ill effects, not even a scratch. As usual there was much coddling and pampering of that little infant before parents thought it was safe for their baby to participate with us outside. As far as I know, Gary would do it again for that kind of attention. A COZY HOME ( Refer To Floor Plan Sketch) Some of our funniest times were spent on very cold winter evenings. To understand them I have to describe the old house on the Abbot Place. It was a wood frame house. Our bedroom, the tack room and porch were unfinished. You could see the 2x4 studs. The kitchen and Mom & Dad’s bedroom was finished, but without insulation in the walls. The living room was added later and was fully insulated. It was the only room in the house that could be kept warm on cold nights. Our daily schedule went something like this. Mom got up first 5:30AM & made the fire in the kitchen stove. She put the teakettle on and a large copper bottom boiler half filled with water to heat. Dad would get up, have a cup of hot chocolate, get dressed and go outside to do chores. They included; milking 3 or more cows, feeding horses and the cattle we raised. As we got older we did all of these things. Mom would wake us. We would scurry out to the stove. Once or twice a week she would get a big galvanized tub 3 1/2 feet in diameter, set it next to the stove, and we would have our baths. Littlest first. Gary always got the clean water. We would get dressed. By then, Mother would have breakfast ready. Cereal-usually oatmeal, toast, egg or two as we got older, meat or meat gravy on toast. We would do our chores - Ivan-Chop kindling for both stoves, break-up coal in small enough pieces to fit cook stove-- small=4 inch maximum, take the large coal lumps into the living room, enough for all night. Dale - Haul in kindling for both stoves and place in wood box, haul cook stove coal, enough for meals, hot water and heat as directed. Gary - crank the shaker on the stove, take out the ashes and clinkers, once a week clean the soot out of the cook stove, pump water and fill the reservoir on the cook stove, and check the heater reservoir, and fill various water containers Mother uses during the day. Of course, we all had dish washing and house cleaning assignments which expanded into more and more outside work as we got older. Dad would come in then and make sure we were ready for school and eat breakfast. Both Mom and Dad helped with school lessons and projects, if we needed it. School was very high on their priority list. Our lessons had to be done and on time. We put on our coats, hats and gloves etc. and walked the 3/4mile to what we called Kleon Kerr corner. The bus going from Deweyville to Tremonton picked us up there. There used to be a little one room house on the corner, Chet Scoffield's and a boy Dennis Scoffield, Dales age, that lived there. We would huddle against the house while we waited for the bus. Later the house was torn down but they put a big haystack in its place. We would catch the bus at 8:15 am and go to McKinley School. It is now the Tremonton Community Center. School let out at 2:30 pm for 1st & 2nd grades and 3:30 Pm for 3rd thru 8th grades. We would catch the bus for home at 3:55Pm. It had to pick up kids from the Bear River High School first. Mom would sometimes meet us for the walk home, not to often though because they worked hard during the day. During the hard depression years, Dad would walk to the fair grounds corner west of Tremonton, over 7 miles and work at Henry Rody's Blacksmith shop for $1.00/day cash money. We did our nightly chores repeating those we did in the morning and help outside. Ivan-Using a hay knife cut, stacked, and with a pitch fork, throw down hay for animals. Dale -Feed hay to animals. Gary- Packed oats to the horses, barley to cattle, and broadcast feed to chickens. All of us found eggs and took them to the house. As we got older we, had to clean manure from the cow barn and spread clean straw in it and the big shed. After chores, we would get washed up run the cream separator. The cream would be stored in the refrigerator. The skim milk was usually cooled in containers on the porch until it was drunk or Mom made it into cottage cheese. We would have dinner. Potatoes and meat, gravy, soups and stews-chicken and dumplings, home grown vegetables, carrots peas, squash, rhubarb, home grown and bottled fruits; peaches, pears apricot, applesauce. We had meat with every meal, steaks, pork chops, fried chicken, hamburger. The fire would be started in the living room just before dinner so it would be warm in there when we finished. We put on our night clothes, long handled underwear covered with a flannel long night shirt and headed for the living room, usually between 8:30 and 9 Pm. Lessons got done first. The living room had a big area carpet that covered the whole center of the floor. There was an old couch on the east wall that took the full length. A large matching chair in the center of the living room , picture window on the north end, and another chair in the center of the wall on the west. There were orange crate book cases on each side of the chair. We would get the old heater stoked up until it was red hot on the top. Dad would remove a portion of the grill. Mom would get the pop corn popper out and we would make up a big pan of buttered pop corn. Mom would meanwhile be fixing a pan with milk chocolate. It was placed on top of the stove to heat. Then with kids sitting on the floor in front of the stove or on laps of parents on the couch, Dad would read us stories for about an hour. Here is a list of some of the books he read to us: King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table Ivanhoe Lady Of the Lake Sir Lancelot Robin Hood Trails plowed under by Pete Russell, I still laugh when I think of “Babs Skies" 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern- Used a dictionary a lot Half Mile Down by William Bebe 54 & S51 Early Submarine Tragedies by Commander Edward Ellsberg Tell Tail Heart by Edgar Allen Poe Merchant of Venice Many others. When I was in the 3rd grade, we got a library card for the first time and went to the Tremonton Carnegie Library. We were introduced to the librarian alphabetically. When my turn came, she stood up and said follow me. We walked to about 15 different stacks of book shelves, she said, "Pick a book and open it and pull out the card.” I did this and on every one was my dad's, Leland 0. Woodruff, signature. She said, "Young man, your father is the best read man in Box Elder County, You should be proud of him and follow his example." I was impressed and forever grateful for his LOVE and self learning. He was the greatest reader I have ever Known. After the reading and we started to get drowsy, Mother would take towels into the kitchen, place three flat irons primarily used to iron clothes,,, on the towels remove the handle, wrap them up and place them at the bottom of our bed under the covers. When we crawled in and stretched out our feet. It was already warm as toast. With the heavy quilt comforters, we stayed warm all night even when there was a skiff of snow on the linoleum floor in the morning.

Life timeline of Myrtle Woodruff

Myrtle Woodruff was born in 1892
Myrtle Woodruff was 16 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Myrtle Woodruff was 20 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Myrtle Woodruff was 37 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Myrtle Woodruff was 47 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Myrtle Woodruff was 53 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Myrtle Woodruff died in 1959 at the age of 67
Grave record for Myrtle Woodruff (1892 - 1959), BillionGraves Record 3470070 Elwood, Box Elder, Utah, United States