Moses Alvin Rowley

20 Jun 1910 - 29 Dec 2006


Moses Alvin Rowley

20 Jun 1910 - 29 Dec 2006
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Moses Alvin Rowley (20 Jun 1910 - 29 Dec 2006) at Santaquin City Cemetery in Santaquin, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Moses Alvin Rowley
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Moses Alvin Rowley

Married: 15 Aug 1935

Santaquin City Cemetery

160-198 E 300 S
Santaquin, Utah, Utah
United States


July 2, 2011


June 27, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Moses Alvin...

We found more records about Moses Alvin Rowley.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Moses Alvin


Moses Alvin Rowley is buried in the Santaquin City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Lucy Amanda Prestwich Bigelow

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

LUCY AMANDA PRESTWICH BIGELOW Born July 21, 1890 in Moroni, Sanpete Co., Utah to Cyrus Wheelock and Lucy Amanda Morley Prestwich a daughter, Lucy Amanda. Father's name is Cyrus Wheelock Prestwich. He was born in Ashton, Lancashire England on June 20, 1852. His father's name is William Prestwich. He was born May 8, 1816, in Odenshaw Lancashire England. His mother's maiden name is Jane Langshaw. She was born Nov. 2, 1817. My mother's name is Lucy Amanda Morley Prestwich. She was born December 21, 1857 in Santaquin, Utah Co., Utah. Her father's name is Isaac Morley Jr. Her mother's name is Cynthia Abiah Bradley. I was blessed when an infant, August 19, 1890 in Moroni, Sanpete Co., by Elder Scott. I was baptized in August 1898, in Orem, Utah Co., Utah in the Timpanogas Ward, Utah Stake, Utah Co., Utah by Elder James A. Loveless. I did not receive a Patriarchal Blessing until in my later life. After the death of my husband I felt very low and in need of a comforting blessing so asked my Bishop for a recommend to obtain a blessing. I received this blessing by Patriarch Eleazer H. Assay on February 15, 1959, in my home in Orem, Utah and it has been a great comfort to me in my hours of loneliness. I commenced my schooling in the Spencer School District in Orem in September 1896 and remember all of my teachers. They were: first, Minnie Noble, then Susan Talmadge, then Sadie Patten, next was Della Green, next Ray Wentz and last Henry W. Aird. I received a diploma when I finished the 8th grade and there my formal schooling ended. I have always tried to take advantage of the many things and ways there are to educate oneself. I have attended the Latter-Day Saint Church ever since I can remember, Sunday School, Primary, Religion Classes, M.I.A., Genealogical Classes and Sacrament Meetings and have had many faith promoting experiences. I have always been taught to pray and obey the principles of the Gospel. As a very young child I was sent on an errand for my mother to an older sister's home. There were not many homes in Orem then and the roads just went around quartersections. We used to cut through and there was much sagebrush growing in Orem then. I went through this brush because it was such a long way around the road. My sister was at my mother's home and I was going to get something from her home for mother. As I was going through the brush I somehow dropped the key to the door. I did not know when I dropped it and child-like I was very frightened because I did not know how I could find the key in all of that brush. I thought I must pray and ask my Heavenly Father to help me find the key and I knelt on my knees and asked Him to help me find the key. As I arose I was not frightened and went back a little way and there found the key. It has been a testimony all of my life that God hears and answers prayers if we will but have the faith. All through my life I have had my prayers answered many times through faith. One little incident in the life of my father that I remember him telling us children that impressed me very much with the feeling that our Heavenly Father watches over and protects us from harm and accident. It was this: One day he had been hauling hay and had eaten his lunch in some shade on the bank of a small stream. Then he had lain down to rest for awhile. He dropped off to sleep but he had only slept a few minutes when he thought something hit him on the head. He jumped up and there coiled and ready to strike was a large rattlesnake. If he had not awakened the snake would have bit him. My general health has been good. I have had all childhood diseases and Smallpox. I enjoyed playing childhood games and as I grew older dancing and going to parties and the theatre. I have always loved to read and have spent many happy hours reading good books, stories and magazines. Many of the books I have read have made life impressions on me. I love to go to good movies, Ben Hur, The Holy City, some of Shakespeare's plays, the Robe, and a good many others that there is not time to name. As a child I was taught to do all the household tasks at an early age and also to help on the farm hoeing, weeding and picking fruit. I had ten brothers and sisters. They are: Eugene, Adelaide, Orson, Leonard, Edith, Jane, Morley, Horace, Armeldo, and Ora. Three of mother's children died in infancy making a total of fourteen children in my father's family. I lived in Moroni, Sanpete Co., Utah the first year of my life. Then my parents moved to Provo and lived there one year. Father took up a homestead on Provo Bench (now Orem) and moved out in Orem where I lived until I was married. I am thankful for the living guidance of my parents, for the religious teachings and for the training that I received in my home to help me be a mother and a homemaker for my husband and children. I began working in the church as secretary of the Sunday School, in the Timpanogas Ward when I was quite young. I served as teacher in the Sunday School in the Timpanogas Ward for five years, was first councilor in the YMMIA for two years. I was married to Barney Bingham (Boberg) Bigelow on October 2, 1909 in the Salt Lake Temple by John Rex Winder. I met my husband one Sunday morning when I went to Sunday School, at the time I was 16 years of age. He came in Sunday School and sat down by me. My first thought was "who in the world is he?" little dreaming he would someday be my husband. I can say that I did not think him very handsome. As time went on the strange boy, Barney Bigelow and I saw more of each other, going to dances and parties and visiting in my home. When I was nineteen years old, we were married. Our first home was built on four acres of land that we had purchased on Provo Bench. It was a two room frame house that was new to take me to as a bride. My husband farmed our four acres and worked at odd jobs when he could find them. There were not many jobs those days especially in the winter time. Our first child, a daughter Lucile (Mrs. Howard Farnsworth) was born September 24, 1910, bringing much joy into our home. On October 2, 1912, another daughter was born, Myrtle (Mrs. M. Alvin Rowley). Another daughter, Velma (Mrs. Harold Maag) was born June 11, 1914. When Velma was nine months old we decided to trade our home on a ranch in Huntington, Emery Co., Utah, moving there on March 15, 1915. While living there our fourth daughter, Vera Maurine (Mrs. John Lorenz) was born, on July 14, 1916. After living in Huntington three years, we decided to come back to Orem and purchased the home I am now living in. There was only a very small house on it so we built one and I am living in it at the present time. We moved back in 1918 and on March 6, 1919, our first son, Lowell B., was born, bringing much joy that we now had a son. On July 21, 1921, our second son, Richard C. was born and on January 19, 1925, our third son, Dan Herbert was born. During these years I was very busy rearing my family. I was set apart to be a teacher in the Primary in the Timpanogas Ward. In 1921 I was set apart as second councilor in the Primary in the Timpanogas Ward holding that position for four years. On August 18, 1933, another son came to our home, Sherman D. I was a grandmother at this time and starting to raise another child was rather frightening, but we loved and enjoyed our baby very much. My girls were all grown and I was left with a family of boys but they learned to help me with the housework and we got along very well. Our family consisted of four girls and four boys. I have tried to teach them to love the Lord and to do what they are called to do in His Church and to be honest in their dealings with others. Six months after the birth of our last son I was taken very ill and was taken to the hospital with a ruptured appendix. There were no miracle drugs in those days and the Doctors did not give my family much hope that I would recover. But through my own faith and that of a loving mother, husband, family and the administration by the brethren in the Priesthood I was restored to health. At an early age I learned to rely on the Lord for help. All of our children have reached womanhood and manhood. Two boys have filled LDS missions. All four boys have served with honor as officers in the Armed Forces. They felt it their duty to serve their country and I am very proud of them. Our children are all married to wonderful companions and have families of their own. All have attended College but one, Velma. She married after finishing high school. All of the boys and two of the girls have college degrees. One girl, Maurine, went to college for two years and then went into secretarial work. In the later years, it has been my privilege to travel some with my husband. Some of our children have lived long distances away from us and we have seen a large part of the United States going to visit with them. We have also been in Canada and Mexico. In 1940 we went East to purchase a car. On our way home we visited Nauvoo, Carthage Jail and many interesting places in Church History. At another time we visited a daughter in New York and while there we went to the Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith's home, Hill Cummorah and other places there connected with Church History. While on this trip we went on a boat trip up the St. Lawrence River to a place called Thousand Islands. There are really a thousand islands there, some of them only large enough to build a summer home on. They all belong to wealthy people. One of them belongs to Arthur Godfrey. We went under the Great International Bridge that connects the United States and Canada. It was a very interesting and educational trip. We have visited in Washington D.C. Staying long enough to see many places of interest there. In Kentucky we visited the Calumet Farm going into the stables and seeing some of the purebred racing horses. At one time while in Washington D.C. I went to an Embassy Tea. Once a year in Washington one of the clubs our daughter, Maurine, belongs to sponsors a benefit tea. Some of the houses of the Embassy are open to those purchasing tickets for the tea. They are allowed to see all the things in them that are interesting with a guide to explain things. The Embassies we visited were: Embassy of Turkey, Embassy of Viet Nam, Embassy of the United Arab of Republic, Embassy of Chile, Embassy of Venezuela, Embassy of Islamac Centre, of Iran, of Brazil, of Bolivia, of the Union of South Africa. The Tea was at the Turkish Embassy and tickets were four dollars each. I always remember and see them in my mind when I read anything about them. My dear husband passed away December 14, 1958, following a paralytic stroke and I am living in our home trying to carry on. It is very lonely without him. My wonderful family is a great comfort to me as I try to carry on. I have always worked in the church being magazine agent for the Relief Society for ten years, a class leader for work and business meeting and have been a Relief Society Visiting Teacher ever since I was married. I am a Genealogy home teacher at present. I am a member of the Provo Bench Camp of Daughters of Utah Pioneers, my great grandfather came to Utah with the first company of pioneers in 1847. I helped on the Old Folks committee of the Timpanogas Ward for ten years. WRITTEN BY LUCY AMANDA PRESTWICH BIGELOW - 1961 Note: Lucy Amanda Prestwich Bigelow (My Mother) died January 1, 1989 - age - 98 years 6 months. She lived in her home and cared for herself until she was 94 years old. Because she was legally blind the family decided it was not safe for her to live alone any longer. We took her into our homes where she lived until she fell and broke her leg two years later. Because of poor health, advancing age, and long distances of her children it became necessary for us to put her in a Skilled Nursing facility. There she remained: cheerful, optimistic, and loving and kind until the end. She has been a wonderful example to all of us. The people at the nursing facility lovingly referred to her as "Our Amanda." Of her eight children, she lived to see only one buried. Her eldest son, Lowell, died January 28, 1988. Myrtle B. Rowley April 1989

Moses Alvin Rowley

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

I remember as a child visiting Grandma & Grandpa Rowley on Sunday evenings, holidays and a lot in the summer at their home in Orem. One of my earliest memories is climbing on top of the bus shed with Evan Davis and my younger brother, Kenneth during Cherry Season. We were sneaking and new we would get in trouble if Grandpa saw us, so we hid in the branches of the cherry tree where no one could see us. I think we were probably hiding to get out of working. I remember riding with Grandpa on his school bus route. He made me sit in the front seat right behind him where he could keep his eye on me. Grandpa had a big push/pull leaf rake to rake the leaves in their yard. As it was pulled around it would sweep the leaves into a big bag. When I was a child I can remember thinking that was the neatest rake I had ever seen. In their basement they had a marble game that Grandpa had made. We learned to love playing with marbles on that game. Grandpa was a whistler. He whistled while he worked. After we moved next door to them on the hill, we could be in our house and if the windows were open, we could hear him outside whistling. I don’t know if he got that from his father, but my dad was a whistler and now I am. So that is a fun tradition that has been passed down through our family. After Grandpa retired, they lived in a little trailer on top of the hill in Santaquin while their house was being built. At times it seemed like the wind was going to blow it off the hill. When their new house was finished, Grandma took great care in decorating and furnishing it. They even went all the way to Georgia to pick up their carpet. They drove a new school bus back to Utah from the factory full of new carpet for their house. After they were all settle in their new home, Grandma was my 4H teacher. She taught me and my friends a class on interior decorating. Grandpa collected old wooden spools from Utah Power & Light for us to make into tables. Then Grandma taught us how to make circle tablecloths with ruffles out of sheets to fit the “tables” Grandpa had found and prepared for us. Grandpa was always a gardener, he had a green thumb. He loved to plant big gardens and he always had one. To me it seemed like Grandpa liked long rows, because there were always 2 or 3 long rows of peas and 2 or 3 long rows of green beans that seemed to take forever to pick. I’m not so sure I appreciated this at the time. One Friday evening when Scott & I lived in Detroit, Michigan we received a phone call from Grandma and Grandpa. They were in Chicago and would be in Detroit the next morning to see us, giving us one night’s notice that they would be coming to visit. While they were visiting us, we took a trip to Kirtland, Ohio, in their new car. (They had just purchased a Chrysler, New Yorker.) With all of us in the car, it was crowded. Grandpa sat in the back seat with Lindsey & Angela and their two car seats. I’m sure the ride wasn’t too comfortable for him. Scott did the driving and at one time he was driving a little faster than Grandpa thought he should and Grandpa made some comment about breaking in his new car. Ooops! Visiting Kirtland with them was like having our own personal tour guides. It is a memory I will always cherish. Grandma & Grandpa had served a mission to the Kirtland Mission and knew all the history and stories behind everywhere we visited. Thanks to Grandpa we have a cabin near Sundance where we can go to relax and enjoy nature. Over the years we have gathered there many times on the 4th of July to celebrate His birthday. Grandma was a genealogy enthusiast and I think by default Grandpa had to join in. I remember when they had to learn how to use a computer to do their church extraction assignments. It wasn’t easy, but with the aid of Scott helping them learn how to run a computer, they worked at it until they could do it. When Grandma was in the care center in Santaquin we were shown what a great husband and sweetheart Grandpa was. It couldn’t have been easy for him to see her declining like that, yet he stayed by her side as much as he physically could. What an example of unfailing love! Reba McEntire, a country singer has a song named, “Moving Oleta,” that reminds me a lot of Grandma & Grandpa. Grandpa had a testimony of missionary work. He served three missions during his life. The first one as a young man in Germany, the 2nd and 3rd missions were with Grandma. They served together in the Holbrook, AZ mission as welfare service missionaries and in Kirtland, OH. Grandpa had a testimony of Jesus Christ and spent his life service to others.

Life timeline of Moses Alvin Rowley

Moses Alvin Rowley was born on 20 Jun 1910
Moses Alvin Rowley was 18 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 29 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 35 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 45 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 53 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 63 years old when Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam. The Vietnam War, also known as the Second Indochina War, and in Vietnam as the Resistance War Against America or simply the American War, was a conflict that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. It was the second of the Indochina Wars and was officially fought between North Vietnam and the government of South Vietnam. The North Vietnamese army was supported by the Soviet Union, China, and other communist allies; the South Vietnamese army was supported by the United States, South Korea, Australia, Thailand and other anti-communist allies. The war is considered a Cold War-era proxy war by some US perspectives. The majority of Americans believe the war was unjustified. The war would last roughly 19 years and would also form the Laotian Civil War as well as the Cambodian Civil War, which also saw all three countries become communist states in 1975.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 72 years old when Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, was released. Michael Joseph Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer. Dubbed the "King of Pop", he was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley was 84 years old when The Rwandan genocide begins when the aircraft carrying Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian president Cyprien Ntaryamira is shot down. The Rwandan genocide, also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100-day period from 7 April to mid-July 1994, constituting as many as 70% of the Tutsi population. Additionally, 30% of the Pygmy Batwa were killed. The genocide and widespread slaughter of Rwandans ended when the Tutsi-backed and heavily armed Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame took control of the country. An estimated 2,000,000 Rwandans, mostly Hutus, were displaced and became refugees.
See More
Moses Alvin Rowley died on 29 Dec 2006 at the age of 96
Grave record for Moses Alvin Rowley (20 Jun 1910 - 29 Dec 2006), BillionGraves Record 34382 Santaquin, Utah, Utah, United States