Morton B. Cutler

18 Sep 1853 - 29 Feb 1940

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Morton B. Cutler

18 Sep 1853 - 29 Feb 1940
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Raymond Cutler I was born 27 September 1892, the tenth child of Morton Brigham Cutler and Mary Irene Foote, at Glendale, Kane County, Utah. When my father was about 16 years of age, his father Royal J. Cutler, was called from American Fork Canyon to help settle the Muddy Valley, now called Moapa Val
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Morton B. Cutler
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Morton B. Cutler


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 5, 2011


June 4, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Morton B....

We found more records about Morton B. Cutler.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Morton B.


Morton B. Cutler is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Raymond Cutler

Contributor: crex Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Raymond Cutler I was born 27 September 1892, the tenth child of Morton Brigham Cutler and Mary Irene Foote, at Glendale, Kane County, Utah. When my father was about 16 years of age, his father Royal J. Cutler, was called from American Fork Canyon to help settle the Muddy Valley, now called Moapa Valley. They settled at St. Thomas which is now covered by the water of Lake Meade behind Hoover Dam. They raised wheat, melons, sorghum cane, and other crops that would grow in that hot arid climate. It was a very uphill struggle, as the wind would fill the irrigation ditches with sand, and they’d have to keep cleaning the sand out to have any water for irrigation. A great portion of their living was milk, buttermilk biscuits, and sorghum. Father, in telling us of their meager diet, told of Grandfather Cutler trading for a sack of dry beans and a slab of bacon, and he said they lived a little better after that. About twenty miles up the valley was the settlement of St. Joseph, now called Logandale. Warren Foote, my maternal grandfather, and his family were called by Brigham Young from Union, Utah, to help settle that territory. Grandfather Foote operated the grist mill at St. Joseph, and father indicated casually that life was a little easier for them in St. Joseph because of the grist mill. When these people were called to the Muddy, it was thought that the territory was a part of Arizona, but subsequently it was found that it was a part of Nevada, and the Nevada officials being somewhat hostile to the Mormons, demanded back taxes for the years they had lived there. About this time Brigham Young made a trip to visit the Saints in this area, and shortly thereafter they were released from the burden of trying to pay double taxes. The people were advised to move back into Utah settlements. Although Father did not know Mother while living on the Muddy, they were among those that moved by the generous help of the people in the St. George area, to move to an area in Kane County called Long Valley, and they settled in the town that was later named Glendale. There they engaged in some farming, but the main industry was stock raising, both sheep and cattle. There, Mother and Father met and were later married 17 November 1874, later having their sealing in the old Endowment House in Salt Lake City. I was their 10th child, and all of their 13 children were born in Glendale, Utah. I attended eight years of grammar school there and because of their limited finances, school would start sometime in October and close sometime in March. Because of my grades, I was not required to take final examinations for graduation. I worked fro Father on his farm, and at this time ‘father sold all of his holdings in the vicinity of Glendale, and bought a ranch on Little Cherry Creek, Nevada, called Sharp after a former resident in that area, and moved his sheep out in that area to range them in the summer on the mountain range near the ranch and in the valleys in the winter. At sixteen years of age, I drove a four-horse team from Glendale out to the ranch in Nevada helping to move a band of sheep he had traded some of his property for. It took us thirty days to make the trip, leaving Glendale in late October and arriving at the ranch late in November. Father and I went back to Glendale in late December, traveling all this distance with horses and wagons in the bitter cold where the temperature ranged down to 10 degrees below zero part of time. The next spring, I went back to the ranch with him and spent that summer working with the sheep and then he sent me to Cedar City to school. Here I spent two full school years taking a business course. This was the period of 1909-1911, when I graduated from this two-year course, then came back to the ranch, (the family had moved out from Glendale during this time), and spent another six months. There was no branch of the Church there, and the social life had much to be desired. So I left home in January 1912 and went back to Southern Utah, where I worked with stock for my brother in law, Silas Brinkerhoff, Jr., and Herbert Jolley, and also for Johnny Findlay who died from being kicked in the belly by one of his mules while I was in his employ. I was in poor health the last year of this period suffering from some intestinal disorder, and finally in May 1915, I went to Panguitch, Utah and was advised by Dr. Garn Clark that I had chronic appendicitis, and having been afflicted with a hernia form childhood, I had Dr. Garn Clark and his brother Cecil, who was practicing in Monroe, Utah perform the surgery. My recovery from the hernia was excellent, but from my experiences through the years, I am certain that I had a duodenal ulcer instead of appendicitis, and that part of the surgery was not satisfactory. My sister, Irene, nursed me through this period, and after I was able to take care of myself, she went back home to her family in Orderville, and I stayed in Panguitch at the Cameron Hotel where I met my future wife, Rachel Cameron. She attended summer school that summer at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, and I spent a couple of weeks in Salt Lake City while she was there and persuaded her that we would make a pretty good couple to journey through life together. I then went back to “Spring Valley, Nevada, where my folks had bought a large stock ranch and stayed until the following March when the ranch was sold and Father and Mother moved to Salt Lake City. This was in 1916. I spent the summer in Panguitch operating a farm for Joe and Houston Clark then went to Marysvale, Utah to work for my prospective brother-in-law, Allen Cameron in his general merchandise store. We set our wedding date for 22 November 1916 and Sunday pervious to this I went up to Panguitch to get Rachel and take her to Salt Lake City for this glorious occasion. We caught the mail truck Monday morning to ride back to Circleville where Rachel’s brother Ben was to take us on to Marysvale in time to catch the train for Salt Lake City, but found that his car had a flat tire. We mended the tire and put it back on the car, when we found that we’d left a small tire iron inside the tire and had to take the tire off to get the iron out. We finally made it in time to catch the train and our friends in Marysvale gave us a good send off with a shower of rice both inside and outside the car. All the way to Salt Lake City, passengers boarding the train would ask, “Well who is getting married?” I was to pick up my temple recommend in Marysvale before I boarded the train, which I did, but found that the Stake President in Richfield had overlooked signing it. However, the day previous before I left for Panguitch to get Rachel, I’d met a member of the Stake Sunday school Board who had come up to Marysvale to visit their Sunday School, and he was on the train Monday morning going back to Richfield, and I gave him the recommend and asked him to have President Young sign it and forward it on to the Temple in Salt Lake City, which he did, and I picked it up at the small office just inside the temple wall on the east side of Temple Block just as you enter by a small gate which is used by temple workers who go to do temple work. The weather was extremely cold for that time of year, but we didn’t mind as we had more important things to do than to be bothered by the weather. We stayed with my folks in Salt Lake City. After the wonderful day in the temple, we spent a few days visiting and came back to Marysvale to make our home in a two-room apartment where we set up housekeeping. The following April the sore caught fire and burned up. After the debris was cleared up and nothing more to do there and I was out of a job, we decided to go to Provo Bench (now Orem) to make our home. Father had bought several pieces of property there, one of which had a house on it. I worked for him for two or three years when we made arrangements to buy the farm from him. The following is a rather accurate account in chronological order of my religious activity from the time we were married up to 1936. While we were in Salt Lake City for our wedding, the Branch in Marysvale was made a Ward with my brother-in-law, Allen Cameron being made Bishop. H e advised upon our return that I was to be the new ward clerk. I had had but little religious activity since I was sixteen as there was no church organization on the ranches my father owned in Nevada, and although I was ordained a deacon when I was twelve, we had no Deacon’s Quorum in Glendale, so I had to start my assignment in Marysvale without the training needed to carry on this work. But I devoted a generous portion of my time to the work and had a fair measure of success. In the Sharon Ward on Provo Bench I was assigned ward teaching and a teacher in Sunday School. In January 1921, I was set apart as a counselor in the Ward MIA. IN 19922-1923 I was the teacher in the Sunday School Parents Class, and in January 1924, I was appointed Ward Clerk, a position I held for four years until October 1928. Then I was appointed Superintendent of the Ward MIA< and when the new Sharon Stake was formed in September 1929, I was appointed a counselor of the Stake YMMIA—a position I held for sever years with Rachel being a counselor in the Stake YLMIA. I also served as teacher in the Parents Class of our Ward Sunday School, and it was in this position that I learned most of my knowledge of the doctrines of our Church. Fruit growing was rather a precarious business in that area as there was quite often late frost that damaged the crop and some winters as the cold weather froze the buds so that the trees didn’t even blossom in the spring. It seemed to be our misfortune that when we had a good crop the prices were low, and when we had a short crop or no crop at all, there was a good price for them. We diversified our farming activities by supplementing the fruit with poultry raising and built coops that accommodated about 1500 laying hens which helped our economy. I had developed a gastric ulcer before I was married but got along fairly well until 1936 when I rented the farm and took over the management of the Cameron Hotel at Panguitch, Utah. We had many happy experiences during the 19 years we lived on the farm. Four children were born to us: Guy Raymond, Miriam, Cherril and Wendell Cameron. Although we worked hard with long hours, when we played we played just as hard as we worked. And since we left the Sharon Ward, we haven’t found any group we have associated with that knew how to play and enjoy life like our friends on Provo Bench now known as Orem. While in Panguitch from May 1936 to May 1940 and operating the Cameron Hotel, Rachel and I were active in the Church. I served as Superintendent of the Stake Sunday School of the Panguitch Stake for more than three or the four years we lived there. My health did not improve while there and since I had a chronic sinus condition; we decided to move to a warmer climate and succeeded in finding it at Phoenix, Arizona. Here I attempted to write life insurance. I was also a member of the Sunday School Board of the Phoenix Stake for most of the two years we lived in Phoenix serving under Brother Lorel Stapley. As my health was not improving any and I had an opportunity to work in the time office of the McNeil Construction Company, who was constructing the Basic Magnesium Plant for the Federal Government, I accepted it and came to Las Vegas, Nevada in May 1942. We sold our home in Phoenix in the fall of 1942 and bought a home in Las Vegas in which we are still living. An odd situation did arise that although we have lived in the same home for 18 years, we have lived in three different wards. I worked in the time-keeping department for one and a half years and in my spare time wrote life, fire and casualty insurance. When I left the employ of the Magnesium plant, I opened an office in my home until the volume of business increased to justify renting office space up town. The next expansion s was hiring a high school girl upon her graduation to help with the office work. I next hired an excellent woman for office work who had been a secretary for a business executive in Los Angeles. We worked very cooperatively together to increase our knowledge in insurance as our business grew. This lady was Mary Quinn, and a measure of my success is due to her loyalty and integrity and ability to learn the fundamentals of insurance and of being able to meet the public. During all this time I was still afflicted with a gastric ulcer which was giving me a lot of trouble. After I had brought my son, Wendell into the office and got him sufficiently trained with the help of Mrs. Quinn to carry on the business, I went to a Catholic Hospital in Henderson, Nevada and had a Seventh - day Adventist doctor perform a gastractomy where they removed 60 % of my stomach. It was several months before I could work consistently, but with my counsel and advice, we kept the Agency going and increased the volume. As Wendell grew in experience and ability and I gained in strength, our agency business increased to where I might say that we have a successful insurance agency. Within a few months after we moved to Las Vegas, I served in the Moapa Stake Sunday School Board; then I was assigned Supervisor of the Teachers Quorum of the First Ward; then when the First ward was divided we became a part of the Charleston Ward. I still was Supervisor of the teachers Quorum in that Ward serving in that capacity in the two wards for eight and a half years. I reassigned because of my health. A few months after my surgery, I was appointed Secretary of the High Priests Quorum of the Moapa Stake. When the Stake was divided and all of the wards in Las Vegas, Henderson and Boulder City were made into a stake, I was appointed secretary of the High Priests Quorum of the Las Vegas Stake. When I was released from that position, I was appointed General Secretary of the Senior Aaronic Priesthood Quorums of the Las Vegas 5th Ward where I served for three years. Shortly after my release from this position I was called to a Stake Mission which I am now serving gat the time of writing this little sketch. (August 1960) I find that in all my labors in the church that the experiences that I am encountering, in this calling is undoubtedly the richest of my life. We have attempted reasonably close contact with our old friends in Orem by arranging to spend sometime visiting with them while visiting our daughter, Miriam in Salt Lake City and sister, Ina Clark who lives in Orem, but the years have taken their roll and some of our dearest friends we made in the Orem area have passed away. For fear that this tale may sound a little woeful, I believe that I have enjoyed a measure of happiness and joy that probably exceeds that of the average individual; and any measure of success and joy I have experiences is due to the love and loyalty of my good wife, Rachel, who has stood my me in adversity as well as in success. CON CLUSION OF LIFE STORY OF RAYMOND CUTLER It seems fitting form me, Cherril, to bring to a conclusion the events and memories I have of my father. There is a period of 13 ½ years of his life that he hadn’t lived when writing the above sketch—August 1960 to January 1974. During this time he completed his two-year Stake Mission call, at which he worked diligently with a degree of success in convert baptisms. He was always interested in the welfare of his fellowmen as well as his family. He was generous to a fault. He loved to travel. In the summer of 1965, he and Mother joined a BYU Church History tour to Palmyra, New York and the New York World’s fair. They attended the Hill Cumorah Pageant and visited all the places of interest of early Church History. He took many pictures and shred with us these historical treasures. IN the spring of 1966, they flew to Hawaii for a three-week visit. There they visited the beauty spots with their good friends, Walter and Myrtle Barrett, who were living there at the time. There were other trips such as Yellowstone Park and down the coast of California. The real highlight of this time period was the celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary, 22 November 1966, held in the home of son, Wendell who resides in Las Vegas, Nevada. Two hundred guests attended and paid tribute to them. Most of the credit is due to Miriam and Wendell’s wife, Blanche, for putting together of this celebration. In early 1967 some additions and remodeling were made on their home with the help of Miriam and husband, Oswald Sims. This was done in preparation for retirement. During this time Dad’s health was failing somewhat and he retired from the insurance agency 1 January 1968 at the age of 76. The remaining five years of his life was spent with regular church attendance, trips to the St. George Temple—short trips to Utah, California and Arizona to visit various members of his family. He was president of the Gospel Doctrine e Class in Sunday school and attended faithfully his home teaching families during this time. His health continued to fail and the last six months he was in and out of the hospital and a rest home. He was released from his sufferings 9 January 1974, and left a legacy of honesty and integrity to his family and hosts of friends. Besides his many Church activities, he was also active in civic affairs, and at one time served as president of the Exchange club. At the time of his passing he left his wife, Rachel, 4 children, 18 grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren. Another item of interest that I have of Dad is that he was never a person to procrastinate or halfway do a job—he was thorough and exacting. Sometimes his temper was a bit short when his patience wore thin because of others around him that rode the waves of life differently. But the years mellowed him and us in understanding him. As I look back, I regret that I didn’t get him to talk about his early life more than what he had written. He grew up in a polygamist home and both his mother and the second wife who were sisters were deaf. This alone can tell a story.

Morton Brigham Cutler

Contributor: crex Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

He died 6 years before I was born.

Life timeline of Morton B. Cutler

Morton B. Cutler was born on 18 Sep 1853
Morton B. Cutler was 16 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Morton B. Cutler was 24 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Morton B. Cutler was 30 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Morton B. Cutler was 45 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Morton B. Cutler was 55 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Morton B. Cutler was 64 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Morton B. Cutler was 67 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Morton B. Cutler was 86 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Morton B. Cutler died on 29 Feb 1940 at the age of 86
Grave record for Morton B. Cutler (18 Sep 1853 - 29 Feb 1940), BillionGraves Record 9957 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States