Mons Larson Smith

28 Nov 1895 - 15 Oct 1989

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Mons Larson Smith

28 Nov 1895 - 15 Oct 1989
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Mons Larson Smith (28 Nov 1895 - 15 Oct 1989) at Monticello City Cemetery in Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Mons Larson Smith


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Our Children
Richard L
M Mack
Alma H
Silas D
Elna Kora


June 20, 2012


June 14, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Mons Larson


Mons Larson Smith is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Mons Larson Smith

Contributor: bwdraper Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Daddy grew up in Snowflake, Arizona. He was surrounded by a large family, as his father married two ladies, Ellen Johanna Larson and Maria Elizabeth Bushman. Family tradition says that the second marriage was the last polygamous union performed in the St. George temple and that the person who sealed them was severely chastised. They all lived in a two-room house. At Grandma Ellen's funeral they said that the two ladies lived under the same roof for sixteen years without a cross word between them. Daddy's formal education ended before he graduated from the eighth grade. There was an epidemic of influenza that year and all public meetings were canceled. So he did not finish the eighth grade. In 1916 Daddy joined the Army and went to Camp Kearney, California, for basic training. He went to Europe during World War I. His assignment was to take food to soldiers on the front line. He drove the horse-drawn wagon from the field kitchen to the soldiers. He said there was one time when the Germans were shooting mustard gas grenades. He suggested to another driver that they race back to the field kitchen. He was winning the race when a gas canister hit near them. He was affected in that after the incident he had low lung capacity. The other driver died from the effects of mustard gas. He spoke of the Black Forest in Germany. He said all of the trees were cut off at about the ten foot level because of all of the artillery action going on. He said that there was a certain installation that the Americans wanted to take out, so they lined up a series of big cannons, all pointed at the same location. The cannon at one end fired, and then the second, and then the third, and so on down the row. When the last one fired, the first was ready to fire again. Survivors on the German side said it was like a large caliber machine gun fire. Later he served in the Southern States Mission. He said that the other missionaries called him "Methuselah" because he was so much older than the average missionary. He spoke of being in Valdosa, Georgia. There is a story that Grandma Ellen got tired of waiting for him to get married, so she had the names of a couple of young ladies that she was going to take to the temple and have them sealed to him. Fortunately something else worked out. He was helping his sister Seraphine and her husband C.A. by working at the dude ranch south of Monticello, Utah, when he met Cora Hawkins. She was living in Gallup, New Mexico, at the time and his comment about proposing marriage was "You don't drive three hundred miles just to talk about the weather." They were married in the Mesa, Arizona, temple on 10 May 1949. Daddy was 53 years old when he married Cora. For me (Silas) that means that I have cousins with grandchildren older than I am. Richard was born on 28 May 1950; Mack on 19 June 1952; Alma and Silas on 6 December 1953; and Elna on 12 March 1956. That meant five children under the age of six. Daddy's sister Seraphine had married C. A. Frost and she and her husband had homesteaded on land south and east of Monticello, Utah. Daddy's brother Alof had also set up a homestead. At the time you had to lay out boundaries of the property sized forty acres or more and live in a house there for five years and then you could call it your own. Uncle Alof died in an accident at Kennecott (copper mine in Salt Lake County, Utah), so Daddy went to claim the homestead in his place. That's how the ranch came into the family. Grandpa Silas and Grandma Ellen helped Daddy with the farm. At the time many reported that the ranch was a show piece for San Juan County. During and after World War II there was a demand for uranium ore and some mines in the area were producing pitchblend, from which uranium was refined. The government built a refining operation in Monticello. Daddy had the job of running the crusher, where dump trucks unloaded rocks into the machines that ground up the rocks. At the time we lived in the house we called the "mill house." Although the housing no longer exists, that is where my memories start. Daddy grew wheat on the ranch. Because raising wheat had been highly mechanized, there wasn't a lot for kids to do. Usually Daddy leased out the property so that somebody else was in charge of planting and harvesting and then he got a portion of the proceeds because he owned the land. The machines that harvested wheat (we called them combines) would usually have a spinner on the back to disperse the cut straw. Daddy would have them turn off the spinner so that the straw lay in rows. We would go along with pitchforks and pick up the straw for the horses to eat during the winter. One of Daddy's great loves was horses. He often took jobs that involved caring for the horses. In the days before machinery made roadways, he spoke of caring for horses for the road crew. When we were growing up, he always had horses around. At one point, he had upwards of twenty horses. Richard was taken to Salt Lake City for an operation on his back. We sold most of the horses to pay for the medical expenses. After that we had only four or five horses at a time.

Life timeline of Mons Larson Smith

Mons Larson Smith was born on 28 Nov 1895
Mons Larson Smith was 8 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Mons Larson Smith was 19 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Mons Larson Smith was 32 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Mons Larson Smith was 44 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Mons Larson Smith was 46 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Mons Larson Smith was 60 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Mons Larson Smith was 69 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Mons Larson Smith was 77 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Mons Larson Smith died on 15 Oct 1989 at the age of 93
Grave record for Mons Larson Smith (28 Nov 1895 - 15 Oct 1989), BillionGraves Record 1516055 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States