Milton Edward Wood

30 Aug 1897 - 25 Jul 1977


Milton Edward Wood

30 Aug 1897 - 25 Jul 1977
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Milton Edward Wood (30 Aug 1897 - 25 Jul 1977) at Riverside Thomas Cemetery in Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Milton Edward Wood
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Milton Edward Wood

Married: 14 Apr 1919

Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


May 30, 2012


May 28, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Milton Edward...

We found more records about Milton Edward Wood.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Milton Edward


Milton Edward Wood is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary of Elizabeth Waddoups Wood, "Find a Grave Memorial"

Contributor: TreeClimber Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Birth: Jun. 28, 1853 Walsgrave on Sowe Warwickshire, England Death: Feb. 28, 1895 Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Vol. IV, S to Z; Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Page 3432-3433 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD BIRTHDATE: 28 Jun 1853; Walsgrave on Sowe, England DEATH: 28 Feb 1895; Auburn, Lincoln Co., Wyoming PARENTS: Thomas Waddoups; Elizabeth Porter PIONEER: 1868; Horton Haight Wagon Train SPOUSE: Daniel C. Wood MARRIED: 8 Feb 1869; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah DEATH SP: 19 Jun 1934; Thomas, Bingham Co., Idaho CHILDREN: Daniel Thomas, 8 Oct 1870 Joseph Waddoups, 4 Oct 1875 William Waddoups, 29 Oct 1876 Franklin Daniel, 14 Apr 1879 Parley Pratt, 20 Aug 1881 died? Elizabeth May, 27 May 1883 Sylvia Irene, 29 Sep 1885 Victoria Evelyn, 24 Oct 1887 Clarence Ray, 11 Jun 1890 (died as a child) Florence Elva, 26 Dec 1891 Child, 28 Feb 1895 buried with Mom Elizabeth was born on June 28, 1853, in Sowe, England. She was the youngest girl and the seventh child of nine. Six boys and three girls. Three boys died as small children while still in England. While in England, Elizabeth's mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, soon after, all the family was baptized. The family soon began making arrangements to come to Utah. She came first with a brother Thomas Waddoups and a sister, Mary Waddoups, then they were to send money home so the rest of the family could join them. The accounts of the scribes during the trek west tell of many hardships and successes that were experienced by all the pioneers. There are several items in the journals of Daniel Cotton Wood, who later became her husband, as to the journey and struggles of his assignment as a young man of nineteen, having been sent to help families coming to Utah. When she, Mary Ann and Thomas first got to the valley they stayed in Centerville with family and friends from England who had come earlier. Her father, mother and the rest of the children would come as soon as money was available. At sixteen years of age she married Daniel Cotton Wood age twenty-two, on June 8, 1869 in the Salt Lake Endowment House. Daniel was the son of Daniel Wood and Peninah Shropshire Cotton of Woods Cross, Utah. They had met on the trek west then shortly after he had been called on a mission to the Arizona and Mexican border. Daniel and Elizabeth made their first home in a house built of rock, which stood just east of Woods Cross, Utah, on the Joseph Wood Farm owned by Andrew Anderson. Later they sold out to Cyril Call and bought the Burnham 155 acre farm then later sold to Mr. Baskin. It is now called the Baskin Ranch. During these years in Woods Cross, six children were born to them. Five boys and one girl. Parley died as an infant just two years before Elizabeth May was born. Life was busy with all the care of a small family, and workers to feed, clothing to make, and training of a growing family. She was a very good teacher and kept very active working with the children. Her husband Daniel was the leader of the Wood Family Band that played all over the valley for weddings, dances, and celebrations of all kinds, during the thirteen years they lived there. Histories record many enjoyable times were shared by all those in the area because of the Wood Orchestra and the Wood Choir which was made up of the Wood sons' wives and families. The Wood School House was a place of learning for all the family as well as the community around them. It is recorded the families were taught by Charles Pearson who was paid with an exchange of work hours, or goods for the salary of the teacher and school expenses. Around 1884 they broke up the band even more when they moved to Rockland, Oneida, Idaho where his brother Heber Cotton Wood and his family had already moved. It took many hands working long hours to build the irrigation systems, and planting and harvesting crops. Long hard hours of teamwork were needed for a good harvest. Farming was good there. They were active in the area schools and church activities. Both Daniel c. and Heber C. were very good with the Indians because of the training they received from their mother who was part Cherokee and were able to help establish peace in the area with the Indians and farmers. They stayed there a short time, but were never totally pleased with the area, so they willingly took an opportunity to settle the Star Valley, Wyoming area. This beautiful valley seemed to be heaven in the summer and a fairyland as the leaves turning to gold settled on the valley floor. Becoming too soon packed in a crisp heavy cold blanket of snow during their long winters. That made summer preparations for the long winters vital. Elizabeth taught their family well to store food and weave cloth to sew the clothing needs of the family. Each member of the family realized his responsibility. This proved an asset as her husband was called to a British Mission in early February of 1893 just a few years after arriving in Auburn, Wyoming. She was left with a growing family of nine children ages twenty-two to a five month old little girl named Florence Elva who had been taught to be very self sufficient. Little Clarence Ray, age three, died shortly before his father returned from England. His death was very difficult for Elizabeth and all the family. The promise of life eternal knowing she would see little Clarence Ray and Parley Pratt Wood again made life easier. Early in spring 1894 the family welcomed Daniel home and were truly happy in their little valley home. They enjoyed their family and had such fun together. She had always been very active in teaching. Her church callings were many in Primary, Sunday School and Relief Society. She kept especially busy in things that interested her family. Elizabeth taught her family to love life by her example. She taught them to love and respect others and that animals were also to be treated with kindness and respect. She was a very kind gracious, warm hostess who always had something to feed a stranger and a clean warm bed to sleep in. Her mother had been a Midwife so she learned many skills of health that were taught to her family. Being a wife of a man who loved to colonize had its blessings and challenges. But Elizabeth met them side by side with her husband. She was very faithful and followed the feelings of the spirit of each and every situation. Elizabeth died at the birth of their eleventh child the 28th of February, 1895, and is buried with their child in the Auburn Cemetery, Star Valley, Wyoming. Her unexpected death was very difficult for her husband and their children. Her family was then raised by (Aunt Maggie) Margaret Edwards, the second wife, a wonderful young English convert who Daniel C. had met in England. She came to Wyoming to help with the very difficult task of raising his family. They later left Star Valley moving to Blackfoot, Idaho where their three children were born: Milton, Mary Edna and Andrew. Obituary contributed by Marla Webb OBITUARY NOTES From Deseret Weekly, Volume 50 contents # 448 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD. Mrs. Elizabeth Waddoups Wood was born June 28, 1853, at Sowe, Warwickshire, England; was baptized March 3, 1860, and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints March 5, 1865; emigrated to Utah with her parents in the year 1868; located at Bountiful, Davis County, Utah. She was married to Daniel C. Wood on Feb. 8, 1869, at the Endowment House, Salt Lake City. Moved from Bountiful to Rockland, Oneida County, Idaho, in company with her family in Jan, I883, and from there to Star Valley, Wyo., in 1809. On Feb. 24, 1895 she gave birth to a girl, which died, and on Feb. 28, 1895, she passed away from this stage of action to a land of rest, as promised to the faithful; for she was faithful and was a pure-hearted wife and mother; she was always happy and cheerful. She leaves a husband, four sons and four daughters to mourn her loss. She has buried two boys and one girl. The funeral services of Sister Wood were held at Auburn, March 2, 1895, presided over by Bishop Hemon Hyde. Elder A. V. Call was the first speaker. He had been acquainted with the departed sister perhaps longer than any one present except her father and brother; too much could not be said in her praise and eulogy. She was a true Saint. We believe as a people in the resurrection. Our sister has but passed to another sphere to there continue her labors. He prayed that the Lord would bless the bereaved family and comfort and cheer them for life's struggle. Elder W. W. Burton was the next speaker, and also offered words of consolation and instruction. Bishop J. C. Dewey then addressed the meeting in a similar strain, citing the last words of Sister Wood, "Father, Thy will be done." Elder Thomas Waddoups, of Bountiful, brother of the departed sister, also addressed the meeting, acknowledging the hand of the Lord in His providences. Elder George Osmond, president of the Stake, read from the Book of Mormon (Alma, 40th chapter) of death and of the resurrection of the body of men. He referred to the many virtues of the deceased, and said he knew she died the death of the righteous. He urged those present to emulate her example of faithfulness and awaken to their duties. Bishop Hemon Hyde endorsed the remarks of the previous speaker. He said Sister Wood was indeed a good counselor—a mother to old and young. The services were then brought to a close.— Family links: Parents: Thomas Waddoups (1816 - 1900) Elizabeth Porter Waddoups (1816 - 1884) Spouse: Daniel Cotton Wood (1847 - 1934) Children: Daniel Thomas Wood (1870 - 1959)* Infant Daughter Wood (1872 - 1872)* Joseph Waddoups Wood (1875 - 1959)* William Waddoups Wood (1876 - 1917)* Franklin Daniel Wood (1879 - 1968)* Parley Pratt Wood (1881 - 1893)* Elizabeth May Wood Parrish (1883 - 1939)* Sylvia Irene Wood Hansen (1885 - 1976)* Victoria Evelyn Wood Hodson (1887 - 1963)* Clarence Ray Wood (1890 - 1893)* Florence Elva Wood Sorenson (1891 - 1960)* Baby Wood (1895 - 1895)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Auburn Cemetery Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Created by: Renae Burgess Linn Record added: Dec 30, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 4615553

Brief Life Story of Vera Amanda Goodwin

Contributor: TreeClimber Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Vera Amanda Goodwin, daughter of John William Goodwin and Catherine Maria Staker, born 23 July 1899 at Holliday, Salt Lake, Utah. Attended school for six years in Holliday, Utah and two years in Wilson District 12 at Thomas, Bingham, Idaho. When just a small girl, I worked in the berry patch and vegetable garden for my father. Many times my father got me up at 4:00 o'clock in the morning to go with him to the city to sell his fruit and vegetables. Father would do some horse trading on the way home. A time or two he almost lost his shirt in these deals. From Holliday we moved to Winder Ward, and lived there for four years. There was a negro family living across the road from our house--their children and our family were playmates. I remember running across the street to play with them. They were a nice family and always were good to us. At the age of 15 I made a trip to Idaho with my niece, Alberta Goodwin, who had been in Utah for her health. I stayed in Idaho then because my parents came a little later to make their home there. From 1914 I have made my home in Idaho. This was the first time I had ever seen Milton Wood. He and his father were coming from Blackfoot where he had just bought a brand new red buggy. Milton and I dated for four years and were married 14 April 1919. We have five children: Therma Lavern, Rulon Milton, Peninah Irene, Gwendolyn, and Merline Eugene. Our first home was a little two-roomed house just west of Milton's parents home. The house was never completed and was later sold to a Japanese family. Our first two children were born here--our first child was lost at six months pregnancy, but Therma, our first daughter has been a joy to us. Milton went to work at a smelter in Murray, Utah, but he worked only a month here when he took sick and had to quit. He then went to work for a Japanese family in Pocatello, Idaho, where he worked himself into a manager's job. Rulon was due at this time, so I went home to be with my Mother until after he was born. About 1925, we bought a farm in Thomas, Idaho from a Mr. Grover, and here the rest of my family was born. My two eldest children, Therma and Rulon, were hospitalized with Typhoid Fever, and Rulon also had to have his appendix removed at this same time. We worried for Rulon because we almost lost him at this time. Therma was taken to a neighbors from the hospital and cared for to leave me free to be with Rulon. This neighbor was Dora Anderson, such a good neighbor and friend and helper in my time of great need. After the death of Milton's father and sister Edna, we moved into a 4-room house on the Wood property which had been occupied by Edna and her family. Milton ran his father's farm. We hadn't been here long when our home caught fire and burned before a thing could be rescued. My daughter Irene was at home tending Therma's baby, Bonnie, while we were at Idaho Falls for the day. They barely escaped. After the fire, my family was scattered. Milton and I and the two youngest, Gwen and Merlin, stayed with my brother Nate's family. Irene stayed with a friend, and Rulon with his Grandmother Wood and did her chores. Later Milton bought his Father's homestead and built a small log house for his Mother on the same lot as the house that burned. I have enjoyed many trips in my life. One of the most enjoyable was the one with my brother, Nate and wife and their son Everett and his wife Alma. We toured the western United States. We made another trip to California to see the Rose Parade, leaving my family with my two eldest children. When we returned, we found a quarantine sign on the side of our house. Gwen and Merlin had the measles. Also while we were gone, a gypsy family arranged to talk our children out of a dozen chickens and left without paying for them. Of course it was too late for the sheriff to help find them. I have made several bus trips: one to Canada to the Cardston Temple. There were a number of relatives on this tour. In July 1962 I went on a Grey Hound bus to the Seattle Worlds Fair with some friends. It was my birthday and these friends gave me a birthday party on the bus, which thrilled me. In July 1959 my sister Gen and I took a bus tour to New York City, Niagara Falls, into Canada, to the Hill Cumorah Pageant, Joseph Smith's Home, Sacred Grove, Carthage Jail, and on to Boston. The tall buildings in New York City and the ocean were wonderful and thrilling to see. I became sick on this trip, but through the strength of Gen and others, I made it back home alright.

Life timeline of Milton Edward Wood

Milton Edward Wood was born on 30 Aug 1897
Milton Edward Wood was 6 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Milton Edward Wood was 15 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Milton Edward Wood was 32 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Milton Edward Wood was 42 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Milton Edward Wood was 48 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Milton Edward Wood was 58 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Milton Edward Wood was 66 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Milton Edward Wood died on 25 Jul 1977 at the age of 79
Grave record for Milton Edward Wood (30 Aug 1897 - 25 Jul 1977), BillionGraves Record 1274730 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States