Michi Mano

25 Feb 1915 - 24 Mar 2006

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Michi Mano

25 Feb 1915 - 24 Mar 2006
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

2/8/11 I never heard my mother, Michi Morio Mano, complain about losing everything and being forced to leave a comfortable life in California after World War II broke out on December 7, 1941. In fact, she often said it was a blessing because we became members of the Mormon Church in Utah, which she

Life Information

Michi Mano


Memorial Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery

3115 E Bengal Blvd
Cottonwood Heights, Salt Lake, Utah
United States


June 21, 2012


June 14, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Michi


Michi Mano is buried in the Memorial Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Grandma Mano Obituary

Contributor: janettelaurie Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Michi Morio Mano passed away on March 24, 2006. She was born February 25, 1915 in Clinton, UT to Tsunemichi and Masa Morio. After her mother’s passing when she was seven years old, her family moved to Seattle, WA. At the age of 12, she went to Japan to live with her aunt and uncle. She remained in Japan until she graduated from high school. She married Eisaku Mano on August 22, 1935 in Los Angeles, CA. After the outbreak of WW II, they were forced to leave the state and relocated to Layton, UT. She joined the LDS Church in West Bountiful, and was a long time member of Dai Ichi Ward, where she held callings ranging from Relief Society president to nursery leader. Her devotion to her faith was most evident in her volunteer service – she served for 20 years in the Salt Lake Temple and went on three missions to Japan, and one at the church history center after her husband passed away in 1973. Other passions in her life included genealogy, quilting, crocheting, the Utah Jazz, and, most of all, her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She will be remembered for her integrity, sharp sense of humor and generous spirit. She will be missed because she loved us all – she was beautiful. She is survived by her five children Ken (Carolyn); Irene (Floyd) Mori; Ron (Cheryl); Sharon (Wally) Haraguchi; and Dick (Linda), 28 grandchildren, 27 great-grandchildren, brother Noboru (Mary) Morio and sister Sachie Kano. Friends may call on Thursday, March 30, 2006 from 6 to 8 PM at Memorial Mortuary, 5850 S. 900 E. and on Friday, March 31 from 12:30 to 1:45 PM at Dai Ichi Ward, 2005 S. 900 E., Salt Lake City. Funeral services follow at 2 p.m. Interment: Mt. View Memorial 3115 E. 7800 S.

Michi Morio Mano, A Devoted Mormon by Irene Mori

Contributor: janettelaurie Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

2/8/11 I never heard my mother, Michi Morio Mano, complain about losing everything and being forced to leave a comfortable life in California after World War II broke out on December 7, 1941. In fact, she often said it was a blessing because we became members of the Mormon Church in Utah, which she did not expect would have happened if we had remained in California. She also said the Japanese people were treated better after the war than before the war. Although they would have chosen to return to California after the war ended if possible, it was financially not feasible so we stayed in Utah where our father and mother and all the kids worked on a small farm to earn a living. We lived in less than ideal conditions, and our parents sacrificed dearly. As my younger brother said much later, we did not know that we were so poor. Michi later became a very devoted member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). When she went to church and took the sacrament as an adult in Utah, she recalled a similar experience so many years before. She said she must have visited a Mormon church in Utah as a child because she remembered the tiny cups of water. She was seven years old when her mother died in childbirth in Clinton, Utah, where Michi was born. The grandmother (mother of my mother’s mother Masa Yoshitomi Morio) was coming from Japan to help with the birth. She had traveled to Seattle and was visiting with relatives before coming to Utah when the baby was born. She came and helped with the family for a while, but she was not able to see her daughter alive. She had to return to Japan and since it would be too difficult for her father to continue farming without a wife and with six young children, the new baby was adopted by the Shiki Family, who were relatives living in Ogden, Utah. The family moved to Seattle, Washington, where their father returned to a job he had previously held as a porter for the Union Pacific Railroad. The older sisters and some aunts helped take care of the younger children while he worked. Michi spent most of her time after school at the homes of relatives. She later was sent to live in Japan when her father’s younger brother got married. Her new aunt who was only ten years older than Michi, who was eleven at the time, took care of her and her brother Henry until he became ill and returned to the United States. She stayed there until she graduated from high school, and she said they were always kind to her. When we lived in Murray, Utah, I began school. I went to primary on Tuesdays after school with my friend and neighbor, Marlene Rufflin. Marlene was a couple of years older than I was so I was not in her church classes. However, Judy Tripp from my school class was in my primary and Sunday School classes. Marlene’s family was not very active in the church, and Marlene did not get baptized until she was ten years old. When she was ten, I was eight and wanted to also get baptized with Marlene. I asked my mother, but she said no because she knew little about the Mormon Church. At that time she probably still believed that Japanese people should go to Japanese churches (although our family did not attend any church). It was not until we moved to West Bountiful and stake missionaries started to teach us that we were allowed to become members of the Mormon Church. Michi was baptized later and could possibly be considered the most devoted church member in the family. [Since I was two years old at the time of our forced evacuation, some of the early parts of this was taken from recollections of my mother, Michi Mano, which she had told me.]

Growing Up by Ken Mano

Contributor: janettelaurie Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

4/4/11 When I was only 3 years old, the Japanese were evacuated from the West Coast, course I don't remember that, but I can imagine what a tough and terrible thing it was for Mom & Dad, to have to leave a successful produce business and leave their home with everything loaded into their truck with their little kids, I was three and a half and Irene was just barely two. Mom was pregnant at the time and Ron was born four or five months later on August 28, 1942 in McKay Dee Hospital in Ogden. Mom talked about those days by saying, they were told that they needed to destroy everything that showed they were in Japan, so they destroyed or burned all these memories from Japan. She tells of selling everything for 10 cents on the dollar, she told of a black woman who said, "I know how you feel, we've been going through this all of our life". The family moved to Utah during the voluntary evacuation phase, and stayed first in Layton, where we lived in a converted chicken coop for a time. After Layton, we moved to Rockport, where dad farmed. I remember that we grew a lot of lettuce which did well in the cool weather. I remember mom working hard in the fields, and being pregnant and working right up to the time she delivered, but I don't know which of the kids was born there, I guess I could ask or figure it out, but it must have been Ron or Sharon. I don't remember much about Rockport, but there was an old schoolhouse, which was no longer being used, just about across the street from our house, then there were about 4 houses in a row across the street from the school. In front of our houses was the school and on the other side of the school was the main road going from Peoa, Wanship and Coalville going toward Park City. Park City was an old mining ghost town, with only a couple of people living there. On the other side of the road were the mountains, there was a canyon in the mountains across from where we lived, and behind the houses were the fields and at the end of fields was a river. One time the rains came and the water poured down the canyon and completely flooded our fields. Those buildings from Rockport were moved to Lagoon for the pioneer village there, you can't visit the place where we lived now unless you have scuba equipment since the Rockport Dam was built. I remember that these young men would come and pick up the crates of lettuce and carry them out of the fields, one of those young men was Junior Yagi, Floyd's sister, Selma's husband, course I'm sure they weren't married then, but these guys would hold the heavy crates of lettuce with two hands and carry them over their head and my parents were so impressed at how strong they were. At least that's what I remember, that it was Junior, maybe not. For a short time, the Takemori's came and lived with us, Mary was mom's older sister and Fred was about a year older than I. The Brown's lived a couple of houses down, they are the ones who had a well, and we would have to go down there and get our water. It was a typical well like you see in the movies, with a rock wall and a crank that let the bucket down and you would crank it to get the water up. Mom told Carolyn of a time that she carried the bucket of water back and when she got it to the house and looked at it, there was a frog in it, so she dumped it out and then thought, that was stupid, if I go back and get another bucket its the same water that the frog was in. The Brown's remained life long friends and attended marriages and other events for years after we moved away. Apparently Mrs Brown was a strong member of the church, but we didn't know anything about that at the time. I went to school in Coalville and rode the bus to school, that was in the first grade, until we moved to Murray on 45th South and about 5th East. Sharon was born in Coalville. Our farm was south of 45th South and we had a very long driveway to get to the house. Part of the farm was around the house, there was a small garage type building to the right of the house with a road which led toward the fields and the lower part of the farm, which was next to the lttle stream which ran at the bottom of the farm. In the summer, the Fish and Game trucks would come and plant trout in the stream, after planting, you could see hundreds of fish in the stream. I don't remember that we ever went fishing though. There was a little area next to the farm where there was kind of a pond in the stream and kids had a rope strung from a tree and they would swing over the water and drop down into it. I remember kids doing this, but don't remember doing it myself. We went to Lincoln Elementary School, Irene went to Primary at church, but I don't think I ever went. One of my friends was Robert Kelsh, he was from a polygmous family, his father had about 4 wives and there were a bunch of kids, they lived on 5th East in 3 or 4 houses between our home and school. We lived there until I was in the 6th grade. I used to order fireworks assortments from out of state and sell them to other kids in the neighborhood, it wasn't really legal, but it was fun having fireworks. One time a police car drove up in front of the house and mom got really excited and thought that we had been caught and were going to be arrested, but he had brought a lady from some restaurant, who wanted to buy some vegetables. Mom tells of another time, I believe it was Irene who came in to mom and said calmly, "the curtains are on fire". it must have been around Halloween and caught fire from a jack-o-lantern. I don't remember much about farming in Murray. In the sixth grade, our family moved to West Bountiful (Woods Cross) on Pages Lane. We farmed 10 acres there, the Kerr's lived east of us on a farm and next to them was the Pacific Railroad line and on the other side of them was the highway, now the freeway, I15. On the other side was Mr Freestone, who lived alone, also on a farm. Next to the house was a huge old tree, we nailed a basket to the tree where we would shoot baskets. Our water was from a flowing well to a faucet outside the house. The water for the farm was from another big flowing well at the other end of the farm. I remember drawing a square on the bricks on the side of the house and pitching a baseball against the house, it must have made a racket, but mom never complained, until I missed the wall completely and the ball went right through the kitchen window. Even then I don't remember Mom or Dad raising their voice or getting mad. Mom worked in the fields every day as all of us kids did. We had a lot of hand work, growing radishes, parsley, green onions, table beets, turnips, green beans, dry onions. We had a tractor and did a lot of disking after the crops were harvested, so we could plant the next crop. Radishes grow really quickly and we could do several crops during the summer, since they took about a month to be ready to be bunched. I can still see Dick at 10 years old, running the tractor pulling the disks. Mom was really fast with her hands, seems like a lot of time, I would be working alone with her bunching radishes, parsley and green onions. We would pull them, put them neatlying into bunches and wrap them twice with a rubber band. I would always act like I was racing her and could actually come close sometimes, but she was really fast. Our house had a high ceiling, I believe we eventually got running cold water in the kitchen (I'm not sure). The outhouse was behind the house, it was a 2 holer. The bath was in a bathouse attached to the back of the house. Dad must have built it, it had a metal tub, it must have been about 2 feet wide and about 4 feet long and about 3 feet deep. We would fill it with a hose, there was room to build a fire under the tub until it was hot. There was a wooden platform next to the tub, so we would soak in the tub, then get out to wash off. Seems like we should have washed first then got in the tub, maybe I just did it backwards. The water would run off into a little ditch behind the house. I think we kids got along pretty well, but we had a storage area with a whole bunch of boxes in it, it was between the kitchen and the bathhouse. One one of the boxes I remember was written "Ron is an A..", I kind of remember writing that, but I'm not sure. I don't remember fighting, but Irene does. We get along a lot better now. One time I believe it was one of the Telford kids asked mom if Ron was the black sheep of the family and she said "I don't have any black sheep". If people thought that of Ron then, I'm sure they don't now, seems he is the most educated and accomplished of us all, and I certainly don't have those opinions any more. At the end of the day, we would need to wash all the vegetables in the huge metal tub in the "shed" (it must have been about 4'x10'), then put them in boxes ready for market. We used to have Quality Produce pick them up every day, later on we took them to the produce market in SL, Ron did a lot of that. We never thought about whether we were rich or poor, but doesn't seem like we ever did much, especially as a family, except on Memorial Day, we would always go to the Cemetary, then go to Lagoon afterwards. We must have done pretty well one year, we got a new 1955 yellow and white Chevy, I guess it wasn't brand new, accoring to Irene, I don't remember. At West Bountiful Elementary, the church was just around the corner, and once a week, all the kids in the school would walk from school and go to primary, we went with them and attended primary. I'm sure we didn't have a clue what that would lead to. Omar Bangerter was a ward missionary and they started to come to teach us the lessons, I don't remember anything about them (kind of like sacrament talks the following day). Irene and I were baptized when I was 12 and she was 10. Ron and Sharon were baptized later. All of us kids were going to church and at some time, they asked mom to teach primary, even though she wasn't a member. I must have been a priest since I baptized her later. We were all active in the church, but there was still farmwork to be done on Sunday, so we would go to church, then come home and work on the farm. Dad also hired a lot of the kids in the neighborhood on the farm. Even though we worked hard long hours on the farm, we never came close to the number of hours dad worked. It was a great way for kids to learn how to work, but we also learned that we didn't want to be farmers. We were always allowed to go to church and participate in church activites, I always loved playing church sports, softball and volleyball, strange... I don't remember much about playing basketball, I was probably too short anyhow. I remember playing volleyball a little bit, but it must have been enought to give me a taste for the game. When we lived in Hayward and we had a men's team, I played on it. When we moved to Pleasanton, I played again, then started coaching the boys team at church and did that for many years until we finally won a regional championship. I found out that it was much funner to win than to be a good sport. So that's how our family got so involved in volleyball. Mom went to work at Clintons Bakery, where they baked wheat bread. Clint Miller was the owner of the bakery, and the motto was "The Whiter the Bread, the Sooner you're dead". I went to work there part-time also, especially after the farm work was done, I would get the wheat from the round metal large round tin, covered bins outside and bring it in and load the wheat grinders, which would turn the wheat to flour. Mom worked in the bakery making bread and worked there for many years. She was a very well-liked worker. Oh, another one of my jobs was to check the day-old returned bread for mold, the non-moldy bread was sold as day-old bread, I'm sure it was more than a day old. Clint used to say "a little penacillin never hurt anyone", I guess mold must be penacillin. Mom was working at Clinton's when I was called to go to Japan on my mission. We never talked about going on a mission when I was growing up and I had never really thought much about it, but when the time came I felt that I needed to give back to the church which had given us so much. We didn't even know any other Japanese members of the church. Our family lived in the south end of Davis County, there were quite a few Japanese families in the North county, but I don't believe any of them were LDS. I didn't know there was a mission in Japan, so as far as I knew, we were the only Japanese members of the church (I didn't even know the Inouyes, we weren't active in JACL... in fact we still aren't). When I was called to go to Japan (Northern Far East Mission), Paul Buys who was in our bishopric offered to pay my way, but mom said she could do it and she did. As I think back on it, I don't know how she did it, I suppose she must have supported all three of us on our missions. Paul Buys is the one who supported Elder Kikuchi on his mission. I met Elder Kikuchi in Hokkaido when I was a traveling elder, we were in his branch for one week and he was a university student and wanted to go on a mission in the worst way, but had no funds to do it. I was really impressed with him, so I wrote to Brother Buys and asked him if he would sponsor him, he wrote back and said "but, if this guys not a good missionary, I'm going to take it out of your hide". Well that didn't happen, and the Buys family and Elder Kikuchi became like family. She was always very frugal, I didn't realize what a good cook she was, and she must have been very resourceful also. We grew a lot of parsley and I remember having parsley tempura, we loved it, if you've never had it, you should try it. Actually, I haven't had it for years, so it might not be as good as I remember it. After Clinton's, mom worked at the Jewelry Manufacturing place with Wally Cragun called Movitz, where they made costume jewelry, since she was so fast with her hands, she must have been a great worker. Wally was a returned missionary from Japan and remained a great friend throughout her life. Mom was very active in the church, but dad never went. I think a lot of it was because of language or he just wasn't interested - actually he didn't have time either, Dad spoke English and did well, but was not completely fluent, especially when it came to the gospel. When Irene was ready to get married, they were planning on

Jon Mano Talk at Michi Mano's funeral

Contributor: janettelaurie Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

My grandmother had 28 grandchildren and I know that all of them have wonderful things that they could share about her today. I pray that I may share things that are representative of all of the grandchildren’s feelings, and even more importantly, the things that our Heavenly Father would like us to know about his faithful servant and His gospel. Many of you know that when I was growing up, sports were a big part of my life. My parents were always very supportive – we spent many hours at the ballpark, and my dad frequently coached my teams. But it may surprise you that the person who first taught me how to throw, catch and hit a ball was not my father, but my Grandma Mano. When my brother Chad was born, my grandmother came over to baby sit me while my parents were at the hospital. By the time they came home, I could throw a ball and catch it. I could also hit the ball with a plastic bowling pin when Grandma Mano pitched it to me. It was the first of many things that my grandmother would teach me throughout my life. As a side note, although it may seem unlikely that Grandma would be the one to teach me these things, she actually had a lot of interest in sports. She was an avid Utah Jazz fan and was more knowledgeable about the team than one might expect. When my dad told her that the Jazz traded for Greg Ostertag, she sarcastically said: “Oh, good, now maybe they’ll win a championship.” She rarely missed a game. In the last month and a half of her life, when she was too tired to watch the Jazz on television, she listened to the games on the radio from her bed as she fell asleep. She was also involved in sports when she was young woman. One day she told some of the grandchildren that she was a region champion in tennis when she was in high school. Naturally, we immediately started begging and pleading for her to go play with us at the tennis courts in her apartment complex. She steadfastly refused, however, and eventually we gave up. Then we asked why she never told us before that she used play tennis. She responded: “Because I knew that if I told you, you would always be bugging me to play tennis with you.” As I said earlier, my grandmother taught me many things during her life – they started when I was one-year-old and continued until the end. The lessons she taught were never delivered through sermons, but rather through her actions. When I was a young boy, I had little understanding of the temple and the work that goes on inside it, but I knew that it was important. You can understand even that much when you see your grandmother go to work in the Salt Lake Temple every week for 20 years. When I was a ¬¬16 years old, I began to more seriously contemplate going on a mission. That happens when you see your 74-year-old grandmother leave for her third full-time mission to Japan. I remember sitting on the couch with Grandma at the open house after her farewell talk, with family and friends noisily chatting around us, Grandma turned to me and whispered: “I don’t want to go on a mission.” “What?” I said. I looked at her and expected to see her laughing, but she wasn’t. She again said: “I don’t want to go on a mission. What should I do?” Concerned that she might be serious, I said: “Well, Grandma, it’s too late now. See you in 18 months!” I don’t know if she was just kidding with me or trying to teach me a lesson, but I know that she wasn’t serious. And I also know that when I turned in my mission papers, I was 100% positive that I wanted to go. When I was a 20-year-old missionary, I wrote my grandmother asking her what she said to get people to join the church. I had heard many stories, none told by her, of how she was able to commit people to receive baptism when other missionaries could not. When I received her answer, I was disappointed because I was already saying essentially the same things that she had told her investigators. I realized that she was not a powerful missionary because of the things that she said, but rather because of the way she lived. When I was 32 years old, I learned a bit more about obedience and inspiration. When a young bishop called my 90-year-old grandmother to be a nursery leader, I know at least a few people were a bit apprehensive about her ability to fulfill that calling. But Grandma Mano did not share those misgivings – she willingly served because she was confident that Bishop Spencer was inspired to give her that calling. It turned out, of course, that she was right. The Bishop’s own son wouldn’t go to nursery unless his Grandma friend, as he called her, was there. He would sit on her lap and cry the whole time, but he would go. For the last few years, Grandma had felt a bit distanced from the ward because she did not know as many people anymore. But while she was in the nursery, she got to know these young children and their parents and she felt more connected to the ward again. When I was 33 years, two months and 25 days old, five days after my grandmother had passed on, I was still learning from her. When Grandma Mano went on her first mission, she was almost 60 years old. It was a proselyting mission and her companions were in their 20’s. During her mission, she learned how to ride a bike. I remember years later, being amused as I watched grandma ride a bike in front of our house after Chad finally talked her into it. I remember Chad being so pleased with himself as he rushed around the house so he could find a camera to take a picture of our bicycle-riding grandmother. It wasn’t until this week on Wednesday, as I read some of her old letters to her mission president, that I realized how difficult it was for her to get to that point, and why it was so important to her that she learned how to ride a bike. Before I read some of these letters, I want to give you a sense of what she was going through. The following is how one sister in her apartment described my grandmother’s initial efforts to learn. “We had the elders put training wheels on the bike and we would take her out in the mornings, early and she would practice. I remember right after we took off the training wheels, she fell and knocked her glasses off....and I thought to myself, ‘How can she ever do this at her age?’” So keep that image in mind as I read my grandmother’s letters. Sept 1, 1974 Dear President Sato: Thank you for sending me to the Shizuoka Branch. It seems to be a very active branch and the members are wonderful. My companion, Sister Kato, is a wonderful missionary and I love her very much. I hope to learn to ride the bike so I will not have to walk so much. I have a testimony that this is the Lord’s work and if we pray and work hard the Lord will bless us. I hope to work hard and be a good missionary. Thank you very much. Sister Michi Mano Sept 8, 1974 Dear President Sato: We seem to be very busy everyday but we are taking so much time in walking because I am not able to ride the bike. It seems like there just isn’t much time to practice my bike riding. I feel very bad that I am not helping my companion too much. I am praying and praying to our Heavenly Father so that I might be a good missionary. My companion is a very effective missionary and really doing a wonderful job as a missionary and I wish with all my heart that I could help her out more. I have a strong testimony of this gospel and I know it is true and the Lord has called me for this missionary work, so I have a great desire to be a good missionary. I will pray harder to have the Lord’s spirit to guide and help me, I really need it. I am so worried about my bike riding because it is not coming very fast. Thank you, Sister Michi Mano Sept 15, 1974 Dear President Sato: I am sorry to say that I still cannot ride the bike. It has been raining so often that we missed practicing a lot. After one comes on a mission it is hard to learn something new. We are out a lot tracting, but we are walking a lot and I am sorry we are wasting so much time in traveling. But the Lord is watching over me and no matter how tired I am, when I get up in the morning, I wake up refreshed, ready for another day of doing the Lord’s work. We get along very well as companions, but I feel like I am hindering Kato shimai’s work because I am not able to ride the bike, but I am praying that the Lord will help me if I try to help myself. Thank you, Sister Michi Mano Sept 22, 1974 Dear President Sato: I feel like I am getting used to missionary life and enjoying it very much, because I am understanding what I am supposed to do more each day. My companion, Sister Kato, is a wonderful teacher and if I could learn all the things she is teaching me, I am sure I will be a good missionary someday. We have been doing quite a lot of house to house contacting and street contacting, without too much success, but we hope to find some good investigators soon. My bike riding is improving because I could at least ride it now, but I’m so scared of the narrow roads and the cars honking. I hope I will get used to that soon and make use of the bicycle. Sister Kato has been very good with me and we are getting along very well. I feel the Lord is helping me everyday in all that I do. I know that I am doing the Lord’s work and am very happy to be able to be a missionary in Japan. With the Lord’s help, I am sure I will do alright. Thank you very much, Sister Michi Mano October 6, 1974 Dear President Sato: I am happy to report that I am able to ride the bicycle now. I am not too good yet and still forget to use the brakes and take a big tumble and scare my dear companion, Sister Kato, but I am getting better. We have been very busy doing the Lord’s work here in Shizuoka. I am somewhat getting to know what I am supposed to do, so I am happy. As I learn the lesson plan more, I know I will be alright. I love my companion, Kato shimai. She is a wonderful person and we get along very well. We are trying to find some wonderful families that should be ready to hear the gospel. I am enjoying my mission very much and as time goes by I will enjoy it more and more. Thank you very much. Sister Michi Mano Dec 1, 1974 Dear President Sato: Wakatsuki shimai and I are working really hard and enjoying our mission. We are having a wonderful experience this week teaching a young couple and they will be baptized this week. They are a very fine couple and are ready. The bike has finally got easy for me and I am very glad because that worry is over. We are trying to find more wonderful people doing house to house contacting and street contacting. Wakatsuki shimai is a very hard working, neshin senkyoshi and I enjoy working with her because I can learn a lot from her. It is getting pretty cold here, but I am genki. Thanks for everything. I know this gospel is true and I hope I will be able to tell this to lots of people here in Tsu. Sister Michi Mano It took her three months of diligent work, but my grandmother finally learned how to ride a bike. I think about how difficult it was for her to go through, and I know the only thing that could cause her to go through that was her love for others and love for the Lord. Today as I think about her riding that bike in front of our house while Chad took pictures, I have totally different feelings now than I did back then. So when I was I was 33 years, two months and 25 days old, five days after she had passed, my grandmother gave me one more lesson on determination, faith, love for the gospel, and love for others. A couple of months ago a member of our stake presidency was teaching Sunday School during ward conference and he talked quite a bit about funerals. He emphasized that they are a church service and time should not just be used to talk about the person, but the meeting should also be devoted to teaching the gospel. I know that I have talked extensively about my grandmother today, but I feel that when I talk about Grandma Mano’s life, I am also talking about the gospel. Her life was, if nothing else, a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel, a testimony of Jesus Christ as our Savior. It was her example and faithfulness that helped many people, including me, better understand that there is a Heavenly Father who loves us, a Savior who will help us and a path that was provided to live together with them some day. While I was preparing this talk, I saw a quote by President Gordon B. Hinckley, who is president and prophet of the LDS Church. He said: "Believe in God. Believe in God the Eternal Father. He is the great Governor of the universe, but He is our Father and our God to whom we may go in prayer. We are His sons and daughters. Have you ever really thought that you were a child of God and that you have something of divinity within you?" That last part, for me, is a difficult thing to answer. Do I see divinity within myself? It is difficult for me to answer in the affirmative when I think about my weaknesses, my shortcomings and my sins. But when I think about my grandmother, it is easy to see the divinity with her. It helps me believe that I do have that same divinity within me. I can think that because I am her grandson. The other day I was talking to someone who said: “It sounds like your grandmother led a full life. You should take comfort in that.” Yes, it is true that my grandmother led a full life, and for that I am thankful. But that is not what I take comfort in. I take comfort in knowing that death is not the end. That one day my grandmother will resurrect and have a body that is perfect, free from the disease and sickness that plagued her in her last days. I take comfort in knowing that she has a place in heaven with her Heavenly Father. To paraphrase my father, it is easy to secure a place in heaven when you have already been an angel on earth. I take comfort in knowing that my grandmother took upon herself sacred covenants in the temple that allows her to be with her family forever. That she is bound to her posterity forever inasmuch as we keep the covenants that we have made. I take comfort in knowing that I can see her once again. That one day I can see her face, talk with her, laugh with her and learn from her once again. I take comfort in knowing that my daughter Marissa, who was only six weeks old when Grandma Mano passed away, does not have to always rely on my stories to know about my grandmother. That one day Marissa can be reunited with Grandma Mano, and get to learn for herself, how wonderful her great-grandmother really is. I take comfort in these things because they are true. There is a God who loves us. He is our Father in Heaven and we are literally his sons and daughters. We have a savior in Jesus Christ, who provided a way for us to overcome sin and death so that we could return, with our families, to live in our Heavenly Father’s presence. We have a living prophet today, President Gordon B. Hinckley, who teaches us the mind and will of the Lord through divine revelation. I am grateful that I know this. I am grateful that I had a grandmother who not only knew these truths, but was willing to teach this to those that she loved. I end with this testimony because I know that if Grandma Mano was here today, these are the things that she would say. So I say these things with her, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Crocheting and Cranes

Contributor: janettelaurie Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I remember how Grandma Mano would always crochet beautiful things for us. Every year for Christmas we would all get something beautifuly crocheted by her. Some of my favorite things she would make were the little slippers she made for us. They were always so colorful and comfortable! She also made me a little pink shawl once that I wore almost every day for a week after I got it. She knew how to make so many diffeent things, and I remember whenever I saw her at family gatherings and things she would be crocheting things for other people. She made blankets, shawls, slippers, doorhangers, toilet paper covers, and so many other things. i also remember that she loved making origami cranes. My Grandma Mori, her daughter, taught me how to make them, and I remember making them all the time when I was younger. Before she died, I remember people had made 1000 cranes for her, whcich means good luck in Japan. I actually recieved those cranes after she died, and it was so cool to see all of them and remember her.

Life timeline of Michi Mano

Michi Mano was born on 25 Feb 1915
Michi Mano was 14 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Michi Mano was 16 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Michi Mano was 30 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Michi Mano was 43 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Michi Mano was 49 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Michi Mano was 58 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Michi Mano was 65 years old when Mount St. Helens erupts in Washington, United States, killing 57 people and causing $3 billion in damage. Mount St. Helens or Louwala-Clough is an active stratovolcano located in Skamania County, Washington, in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States. It is 50 miles (80 km) northeast of Portland, Oregon and 96 miles (154 km) south of Seattle, Washington. Mount St. Helens takes its English name from the British diplomat Lord St Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver who made a survey of the area in the late 18th century. The volcano is located in the Cascade Range and is part of the Cascade Volcanic Arc, a segment of the Pacific Ring of Fire that includes over 160 active volcanoes. This volcano is well known for its ash explosions and pyroclastic flows.
Michi Mano was 77 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
Michi Mano died on 24 Mar 2006 at the age of 91
Grave record for Michi Mano (25 Feb 1915 - 24 Mar 2006), BillionGraves Record 1525475 Cottonwood Heights, Salt Lake, Utah, United States