May Heaton (Mills)

28 Oct 1901 - 8 Apr 1990

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

May Heaton (Mills)

28 Oct 1901 - 8 Apr 1990
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

My Grandma Heaton (May Mills Heaton, born 1901 in Oldham, England) lived just down the dirt lane from us, and just beyond her house, was the house of my uncle and aunt, Derryl and Inge Heaton. Growing up was all about family really. I would spend a bit of time at my Grandma Heaton’s house. Every o
Register to get full access to the grave site record of May Heaton (Mills)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

May Heaton (Mills)


Kanab City Cemetery

E 300 S
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States

Headstone Description



August 9, 2011


August 8, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about May...

We found more records about May Heaton (Mills).

Grave Site of May


May Heaton (Mills) is buried in the Kanab City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: lyndahirst_1 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My Grandma Heaton (May Mills Heaton, born 1901 in Oldham, England) lived just down the dirt lane from us, and just beyond her house, was the house of my uncle and aunt, Derryl and Inge Heaton. Growing up was all about family really. I would spend a bit of time at my Grandma Heaton’s house. Every once in awhile I would watch Saturday morning cartoons there. I remember vividly sitting in front of her swamp cooler in her dining room on hot summer days and just loving the cool air. I still love swamp coolers just from that memory. Sometimes my Aunt Carrol (Carrol Heaton Lamb) would be there visiting, and in addition to the swamp cooler, there would be a plate of Aunt Carrol’s chocolate chip/sour cream cookies sitting on the dining room table. That is a really good memory, too:). My Grandpa Heaton died in 1959, so I never knew him. My Grandma Heaton was a widow for over 30 years, until she died in 1990 when I was about 12 years old. I have many memories of her, I remember her being very kind and loving, and always going out of her way for me. She had a great talent for crocheting and she made a lot of doilies. When I was about in fourth grade or so, I had an idea to have her crochet little wide brim hats, about 2 inches across, stuff them with potpourri, and then sew them to some braided yarn. I talked about this idea with my Grandma, and a couple of days later when I went to visit her, I was surprised that she already had about 10 of the hats crocheted, and we spend an afternoon finishing the project. I remember her being so encouraging about my creativity, whether I really was or not. I remember her going with me and my dad going out onto the Arizona Strip to check cows at Pipeline (the land we lease from the BLM). My dad was driving the old green Chevy truck, and the roads are dirt and clay. There were some old, small bridges made of wood that crossed some small gullies. My dad was going pretty fast and those bridges made a great ramp, and we caught air as we went over it. I remember Grandma Heaton laughing that she had hit her head on the top of the cab of the truck

Early Life of May Mills Heaton

Contributor: lyndahirst_1 Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My grandma, May Mills Heaton, was an amazing woman, who showed faith, dedication, and love of family and the gospel throughout her entire life. This story was written by my dad and edited by me. May was born in 1901 in Oldham, England to a good Lutheran family. Her parents owned a neighborhood shop, with a bit of spare ground at the back of their shop. In 1912, her parents gave permission for the Mormon missionaries to build a small, tin chapel on the spare ground at the back of their shop. When the church was finished the missionaries invited the Mills family to attend their meetings. May (about 8 years old) and her older brother Seth began attending their meetings. May continually sought parental permission to be baptized. Her parents continually refused to give permission. She began playing the organ for Sunday School at age 14 and later for the other meetings. She taught a primary class and held other positions even though she was not a member. When she was 16 she went to Manchester with her friend, Lizzy, who was being baptized and May told the missionaries that she wanted to be baptized also. They baptized her then asked if she had gotten her parent’s permission. When May told them she had not, the missionaries did not confirm her. Then May met her future husband, my grandfather Christopher Heaton, who was on a mission in England. His first wife had died before Chris left on his mission from Arizona, and his three children were living with his parents in Arizona. May said about their meeting, “About 1918, I organized a parriot troupe. We went around and gave a variety show, primarily to the wounded soldiers in the hospitals. We were giving a concert in the Oldham church. Most of the missionaries came to them. Elder Atkinson came to me and said, ‘May, I have a new companion who has been here two weeks and he never smiles. Why don’t you see what you can do.’ So we went to Elder Heaton and Elder Atkinson said, ‘Elder Heaton meet May Mills.’ Elder Heaton just said, “Hello.” On April 22, 1923, Chris was called to be the branch president of the Oldham branch. He spent considerable time working on the chapel back of the Mills home. Chris and May became better acquainted and May finally got Chris to smile. Under the direction of Chris’s mission president, David O. McKay, May, now 23 years old, was finally baptized by Chris and confirmed by another missionary on January 19, 1924. May was of age and didn’t need her parents’ permission, but she was baptized secretly as her parents were still against the idea of her baptism. Although they had never been alone together Chris and May had apparently talked about marriage because Chris went to May’s home just before leaving England to return to Arizona. May, who was now 24 years old, wasn’t home at the time, but Chris requested her parents’ permission to marry her. They were polite but refused to give permission. May and her mother had always had a good relationship. However, there were rumors, posters, and sermons indicating that the Mormons kidnapped girls and took them to America. Many people, including some policemen, believed the rumors. This undoubtedly had an effect on May’s Mother’s actions. She cannot be faulted for the things she did. She was only trying to protect her daughter. When May arrived home, after Chris had asked permission to marry May, her mother was very angry at her and told her she was never to go to the Mormon Church again. She told May that if she went to the Mormon Church she would be disowned and could no longer live in their home. She also threatened many things she would do if she tried to go to the Mormons in America. May quit attending the Church for a while, but knew she would eventually have to choose either her family or the Church. Chris’s heartstrings were again stretched to the breaking point (he lost his first wife before he left on his mission). Apparently he did not talk to May after going to her home. He departed from Liverpool England on the ship Montrose November 5, 1924 and arrived in Quebec, Canada November 22. Chris resumed his farming and ranching in Arizona and he and May began to write to each other. When May’s mother found that Chris was writing to May, she made sure that she got the mail and destroyed Chris’s letters before May saw them. May knew that the time had come that she was going to have to choose either her home and family or the Church, but always knew which she would choose. She prayed fervently and often, hoping that she would not have to make the choice. The situation deteriorated at home to the point that her brother told her she should leave. Early one morning, May took what she could carry and left home before anyone else was awake. She didn’t tell anyone where she was going. She traveled to the adjacent town of Rochdale and stayed with an elderly lady who was a member of the Church and got a job at a store. May could now receive Chris’s letters. May’s mother had reported to the police that the Mormons had kidnapped her, so the police and others were watching for her. One day, May went to her family doctor for an appointment, and while she was there the doctor called the police. She was arrested and taken to her Mother’s home. May said she would not quit the Mormon Church. Her Mother said she could not stay there at her home, and May he was taken to her Mother’s brother, Walter Grindrod’s home where she was almost a prisoner. They arranged to have Clergy and others come to talk some sense into her. Finally her uncle and aunt took her back to her mother’s home for a family meeting to convince May to quit the Mormon Church. Her mother again told her that if she quit the Mormon Church she could come back home. May refused to quit the Church so her mother told her that she would have to leave. When May got up to leave, they wouldn’t let her take even her coat. She went back to Rochdale. Chris wrote and told May that he would save all the money he could and when he had saved enough for her passage to Canada he would send it to her. It took a year for Chris and May to save enough money for her trip. With only a few close friends present, May boarded a ship in Liverpool to cross the Atlantic Ocean by ship and then across most of Canada by train where she was to meet Chris is Cardston, Alberta. On December 16, 1925, Chris and May went to the Cardston, Alberta Temple. She was endowed and then they were married and sealed. May said that she had never “gone out with” (dated) Chris until after they were married. The couple then traveled to Arizona, where May started a new life with a new family, new surroundings and new country, and the beginning of another story. Her life shows me how to have faith and determination and how to endure well to the end.

Life timeline of May Heaton (Mills)

May Heaton (Mills) was born on 28 Oct 1901
May Heaton (Mills) was 15 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
May Heaton (Mills) was 28 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
May Heaton (Mills) was 38 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
May Heaton (Mills) was 40 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
May Heaton (Mills) was 51 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
May Heaton (Mills) was 63 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
May Heaton (Mills) was 76 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
May Heaton (Mills) was 80 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
May Heaton (Mills) died on 8 Apr 1990 at the age of 88
Grave record for May Heaton (Mills) (28 Oct 1901 - 8 Apr 1990), BillionGraves Record 95429 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States