Mary P Harding (Davis)

17 Jan 1903 - 8 Mar 1984

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Mary P Harding (Davis)

17 Jan 1903 - 8 Mar 1984
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Mary P Harding (Davis) (17 Jan 1903 - 8 Mar 1984) at Orem Cemetery in Orem, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Mary P Harding (Davis)

Married: 23 Sep 1934

Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


Sealed Jan 18, 1964


June 14, 2011


April 9, 2020


June 9, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Mary P


Mary P Harding (Davis) is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Benjamin Franklin & Sarah Lucinda Harding Davis Death at Railroad Crossing

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Newspaper Article August 19th, 1926 TRAIN HITS AUTO, AGED COUPLE DIE B.F. DAVIS, 63, AND WIFE, AGE 55, MEET INSTANT DEATH AT ALGOMA CAR REDUCED TO WRECKAGE Impact Wrecks Engine Pilot of Inch Steel -Double Funeral Held Yesterday Benjamin F. Davis, age 63, and his wife, age 55, were instantly killed shortly before 11 o'clock Friday morning, when their light auto truck was struck and demolished by Northern Pacific eastbound passenger train No. 4 at a private crossing about a half mile south of the Algoma store, which the Davises ran, six miles south of Sandpoint. They were coming from a field on a farm they owned, bringing out a load of hay; when the accident occurred. The truck was thrown 40 to 50 feet to the ditch at the west of the track, and was virtually reduced to a twisted mass of scrap. Mr. Davis was thrown clear of the rails but sustained a badly crushed skull behind and above the right ear. His face was also considerably bruised, evidently by falling face first among the cinders and crushed rock of the track ballast. Mrs. Davis was thrown directly in the path of the train and her body severed. It was picked up about 75 feet beyond the body of her husband. The impact of the collision broke down the engine's pilot of 1 inch steel, bent it like a pretzel, and caused it to drag along the ties, all but derailing the train. Long splinters, several inches thick, were torn from some of the ties before the train could be stopped. Before proceeding, the train crew disconnected the pilot and rolled it into the ditch. W. A. Moore, Sandpoint poolhall man who was returning from a business trip to Spokane on No. 4 Friday morning, stated that passengers felt the air brakes suddenly applied but did not feel the jar of the collision. "I first thought we were due for a collision with another train." he stated. "but when I looked out the window I could see an auto wheel going through the air and then rolling on the ground and knew we had struck a car. The train was travelling about 50 miles an hour. I should judge, and the engineer made a very quick stop for the speed, bringing the train to a halt with the last coach but a hundred feet or so distant from the crossing." There were no witnesses to the accident, save the engine crew, and the first information the family had of the disaster was in the observance by Christina, 17-year old daughter of the accident victims, of scattered piles of hay along the track, as she was walking on the highway which parallels the railroad track south of Algoma. She sensed something wrong and told her brother Dillard who was at the Algoma store. The train crew reported the accident at the Sandpoint station and an investigation was started at once by Coroner Dr. O. F. Page. Sheriff John Amblie and Deputy W. G. Phalon, who went to the scene on a Northern Pacific speeder, accompanied by Undertakers L. G. Moon and R. E. Wiessn of the Moon Mortuary, who took two pickup baskets with them on a section car behind the speeder. The exact circumstances of the tragedy will perhaps never be known but it is surmised that Mr. and Mrs. Davis were "taking a run" for the short but quite steep grade over the track and did not see the approaching train in time to avoid the collision. They were crossing the track from east to west and there is quite a grove of trees just south of the road leading to their field, abutting the railroad right-of-way. There is a curve in the track about six or 700 feet south of the crossing but this is not regarded as a factor of the accident as the train must have been north of the curve when the truck emerged from the trees. The track is perhaps six or seven feet above the road grade at the crossing. Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born in Oregon but had lived in Oklahoma for a number of years before coming to Bonner County 12 years ago. They bought the Algoma store about six years ago. They are survived by eight children, four of whom were living with the parents. Those at home were Dillard, who was working at the A. C. White mill at Dover; Luther and Aaron, who were working at a logging camp west of Sandpoint; and Christina, who helped in the store. Sherman Davis lives at Vararie, Oregon; Mrs. Josie Wallace lives at Sandpoint; and Mrs. Cora Lucas and Mrs. Cora Wallace live in Oklahoma. Mr. Davis is also survived by his father who lives at Seattle and is 98 years old; and Mrs. Davis is survived by her mother, Mrs. Hardy of Oklahoma, who recently visited at the Davis home in Algoma. One of the daughters living in Oklahoma was en route here for a visit at the time of the tragedy. Following the accident, the bodies were brought to the Moon mortuary here, but the funderal was delayed several days, awaiting the arrival of members of the family from Oklahoma and Oregon. The funeral service was held yesterday afternoon at the chapel of the Moon mortuary Rev. Dr. William Westwood of the Presbyterian church officiating, after which the bodies were taken to the Westmond cemetery for interment.

Life timeline of Mary P Harding (Davis)

Mary P Harding (Davis) was born on 17 Jan 1903
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 9 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 18 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 37 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 39 years old when World War II: The Imperial Japanese Navy made a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, intending to neutralize the United States Pacific Fleet from influencing the war Japan was planning to wage in Southeast Asia. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 53 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 67 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Mary P Harding (Davis) was 76 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Mary P Harding (Davis) died on 8 Mar 1984 at the age of 81
Grave record for Mary P Harding (Davis) (17 Jan 1903 - 8 Mar 1984), BillionGraves Record 17788 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States