Mary Maurine Clifford

3 Apr 1909 - 9 Aug 1992

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Mary Maurine Clifford

3 Apr 1909 - 9 Aug 1992
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Mary Maurine Clifford (1909-1992) by her sister, June Clifford Nelson Mary Maurine Clifford was born April 3, 1909 to Grace Eames Clifford and Orrin Caton Clifford. At that time they lived on a forty-acre farm not too far from the Snake River near the Deer Park on Menan Island. At the time she was b

Life Information

Mary Maurine Clifford


Annis Little Butte Cemetery

3810 East Menan Lorenzo Highway
Rigby, Jefferson, Idaho
United States

Anne Ryan

October 12, 2011


October 10, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Mary Maurine


Mary Maurine Clifford is buried in the Annis Little Butte Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Mary Maurine Clifford

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Mary Maurine Clifford (1909-1992) by her sister, June Clifford Nelson Mary Maurine Clifford was born April 3, 1909 to Grace Eames Clifford and Orrin Caton Clifford. At that time they lived on a forty-acre farm not too far from the Snake River near the Deer Park on Menan Island. At the time she was born, Dr. Jones was supposed to be attending her mother but he was a drug addict and was not caring for his patients properly. May Eames, a cousin, found Grace hemorrhaging and literally saved her life by making the doctor take care of her. Maurine’s early school years were spent attending school in a one-room schoolhouse. She walked across the fields to school. Blanche Merrill was her third grade teacher and lived at the Clifford home while she was teaching. Blanche latter married LaVant Cherry. One of Maurine’s earliest memories was of Elwood's birth. She remembered how happy dad was to have a boy. At this time she didn’t know what it was all about but thought she also should have some attention and showed the doctor her sore finger. During her early childhood she remembered that they had lots of snow and could walk across the fields right over the fences. Her father later bought the Ballantine place and sold part of it to his brother Ab. There was a log house on Ab’s land but not one on Orrin’s so her father had the house built which still stands and is occupied by Bernice Clifford and is across the road from the Larry Clifford residence. During the World War I she was still very young and thought that the colorful sunsets were where the fighting was going on. In 1917 and 1918 there was a terrible flu epidemic and even church services were suspended. Some of Maurine’s teachers were Theresa Merrill Huffaker, Amy Hawker, Theodore Barrett and Wesley Eames. She traveled to school in a wagon that had wheels in the summer and sleds in the winter. She later remembered coming home from school to a slice of home baked bread with fresh hot chili sauce on it. The bane of her childhood was washing the disks that separated the cream from the milk in the old fashioned cream separator. Her special friends were Nettie, Agnus, Julliette and Annie Gray but Ada Green was probably her closest friend. She wore her hair in braids and didn’t get it cut until she was thirteen. She was a skinny girl and weighed 70 pounds in the eighth grade. In those days there was no electricity on the farm so washday began by heating water in a copper boiler on a coal range and was an all day process. They bathed in a tin tub in front of the range and their toilet was located a long cold dash away from the house in winter. When she was seventeen a cousin, Dr. Earl Eames, asked her to come to California with them for her senior high school year. She did this and helped with the cooking and house- work until she graduated in the spring from Glendale High. The doctor’s wife was a socialite and Maurine did the work while she played. About the end of the second school quarter in March 1928 she was taking an outdoor gym class in track and field games when she hesitated on a high jump and threw her kneecap out so badly it ended up under her knee instead of on top. The gym teacher attempted to flip the kneecap back into place and sent her to walk three blocks home. The doctor couldn’t see her until after office hours and then said they would have to wait until the following day for an x-ray. He sent for her father and mother and said she would probably not be able to walk again. His instructions were to go home and spend three months in bed. Months later she went to an orthopedic doctor at the Salt Lake Clinic who told her after seeing her x-ray that when the gym teacher put the kneecap back in place the tendons were caught between the bones of the knee and they would have to be removed before she could bend her knee. After surgery it took months before she could bend her knee at all. She never really got full better until she went to Logan to college. She lived at the foot of the stairs to Old Main and climbing those stairs made the big difference. However she had problems with that leg all her life. About 1930 BYU allowed her to finish her spring quarter. After that she attended Gateway Business College for six months and got her first job working for a lawyer at $50 a month. During this time she lived with Uncle Henry and Aunt Julia Campbell. After eight months there she got a job with the Co-op Creamery in the bookkeeping department in Idaho Falls. She later was made their secretary and her name was on their letterhead. This was during the depression years when she was grateful for a job. Her salary was not large but she was always generous with her family. She sent material home for her sisters school clothes from time to time and helped her folks in other ways. January 5, 1933 she wrote in her diary that Calvin Coolidge had died suddenly of a heart attack. She wrote that he was a good President but retracted that when history proved differently. January 31 1933 her diary notes that her sister Helen and husband Melvin Clement came to visit and because of a heavy snow it had taken them all afternoon to get there. (They lived only two miles north of the Clifford's) There were many bank failures. She noted that banks used to close by chains but now were closing by states and “bank holidays” became quite common. This was the year Franklin Roosevelt was inaugurated President and he immediately declared a national bank holiday. Newspapers estimated hoarders returned a million dollars in gold. On November 18 her mother told her that her brother Elwood was going to be married soon to Bernice Hone and since he was only eighteen his dad would have to sign for him. In the fall her sister Helen became seriously ill with asthma. At the end of the year Lindbergh flew the Atlantic Ocean and shortly after January 11, 1934 Roosevelt devalued the dollar and she said they had a sixty-cent dollar for some time. Helen continued to be ill and their mother took her to Pond’s Resort in the mountains in hopes she would get better. Larry was a little boy and he went along. She was staying at Melvin’s sisters cabin. This was the year also when she resigned from the Co-op and started school at Utah State University at Logan. Her brother Dean went with her and later Wayne Poole came to live with them. Besides being a top notch secretary she worked for a time in her college days in the Budge Clinic in Logan, first as cashier then as nurse in the ear, nose and throat department under Dr. Marks. She also worked as a nurse, a switch-board operator and a receptionist. She dated quite a bit and thought the fraternity boys were snooty but she liked the engineers. On November 19 she received a letter from Helen. She was very ill. Three days later she received a telegram from the folks saying Helen was very low. When she called the hospital she had died. Maurine was devastated and so were her folks. In 1937 her grandmother Stephens died, her brother Dean was married to Eula Williams and her sister Violet came to Logan to school and shared her apartment. She graduated from Utah State in 1939. She stayed on and worked at the Agricultural Extension Service at the college for another year and then left to work for the U.S. Forest Service. In 1914 she was offered a job with the War Department in Washington D.C. but turned it down and later took a job with the Regional Office of the U.S. Forest Service in Ogden, Utah as a senior telephone operator and receptionist for $1440 per month. She went to work for the War Department in Honolulu, Hawaii during World Ward II and there established close friendships that eventually led to the formation of a “Hawaiian Club” which has endured even to this day. After Hawaii she went back to work for the Forest Service in Ogden. After she got back from Hawaii she suffered a lot from allergies and for many years after that. One time she got hives so bad after her office had been painted that no one recognized her. Her next job was for U.S. Geological Survey as a librarian. She took an extension course at the University of Utah in use of libraries for research. She met some famous and interesting people. In 1949 she had back surgery, a spinal fusion, and was away from work all summer. A year later she slipped on a waxed floor and broke her left knee. She spend three months on detail in 1953 to Washington D.C. and went there on the Denver and Rio Grande California Zephyr because trains were on the decline and she wanted to have that experience before it was too late. Ezra Taft Benson was Secretary of Agriculture. Belva Lee from Bybee worked from the C.I.A. and Rex Lee, her brother was head of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. He had been one of Helen’s boy friends. In 1969 her sister Violet and her mother and father passed away within three months time. Maurine was a dedicated worker and put in long hours, often working late and returning home after dark. She received special recognition and was featured in newspaper articles. In 1958 she moved to an apartment in a four-plex near the Utah State Capitol. She had become very interested in genealogy. She took classes in English and American Research and attended two world conferences on genealogy. During the years of petroleum exploration in Utah she joined the Desk and Derrick Club made up of girls who worked in the petroleum industry. She enjoyed quite a number of years as secretary and historian of the Relief Society in the Capitol Hill Ward. She made beautiful historical entrees in their book. During these years she did a lot of research and collaborated with a doctor in New York City on a book they published. Through these years she traveled extensively and took wonderful pictures. She had cancer surgery and went thought chemotherapy. Through the years she overcame serious threats to her health. Eventually it became evident that she could not keep house for herself much longer so she moved to a lovely retirement apartment in the Parkland Retirement complex. She loved being there in that atmosphere and felt depressed when her health deteriorated to the point where she needed special care. She moved to the East Lake Care Center in Provo, Utah on July 1 but her heart continued in a fast decline and she died on August 9 after a short emergency stay in the Utah Valley Medical Center. She loved and appreciated her extended family and many friends with whom she had grown close through the years. She was generous with her money as she helped with weddings, college and missionaries. Her diaries are full of fun, interesting rewarding times and though she never married, she dated quite a lot in college and especially in Hawaii. Perhaps Mr. Right didn’t come along. She shared holidays and special events with brothers and sisters and nieces as if they were her own children and it has brightened the lives of both her self and them.

Mary Maurine Clifford, short biography

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Biography of Maurine Clifford by her mother, Grace Stephens Clifford. Maurine Clifford was born in Menan, Idaho at her grandmother’s home, Mary Stephens home. At the age of six, started school in a small schoolhouse on the southeast corner of the Luxton farm, now Howard Munn’s in west Menan. She graduated from Menan grade school with high marks, started to High School at Midway, Sept. 8, 1923. After going to Midway three years, Dr. Earl Eames wrote and wanted her to come to Glendale, Californian to live with them; go to H.S. there. Earl Eames was a cousin of her mothers. She graduated from the H.S. there, June 16, 1927; stayed part of the summer in Provo, Utah. In March the next spring was hurt in a gym class. We went to Provo, brought here home where she was ill with a bad knee for several months. In the fall of the year we took her to Salt Lake City where she was operated on for a knee injury. After returning from the L.D.S. Hospital in S.L.C., Utah she stayed home until Nov. 10, 1929. Then she entered Gate City Business College in Pocatello, Idaho. She graduated from business college w, went to work in Pocatello. Then in the fall of 1930 she started to work at the Snake River Dairyman’s’ Association. She worked there in the office until Sept 2, 1934. In Sept. 1934 Maurine and Dean went to Logan to the Agriculture College. She also worked at the A.C. College. In June 5, 1939 Maurine graduated from Logan Agriculture College. Apostle Melvin Ballard and Louis Roberson, J. Rueben Clark, and Pres. F.D. Farrell of Kansas State College, Frank L. West and Reverend William F. Hoening were present. Her father and I were at the graduation. The weather was cold. That spring Apostle Melvin J. Ballard passed away. After working in Logan until Jun 1941, Maurine was sent to Ogden to work with the Forest Service. Maurine with 225 other girls were sent to Hawaii where she remained for eighteen months until World War 2 was over, returned to Menan her home for a short visit; then back to the Forest Service in Ogden to work. She received her Bachelors degree in Commerce at Logan, June 5, 1939. In the fall of 1948 she was transferred to Salt Lake City, and worked as librarian in the L.D. Hospital in S.L.C., Utah. We brought her from Salt Lake home to Menan; stayed until Sept.; a patient, pleasant person to take care of. In Sept she went back to work. We visited here in Oct. She was doing fine. She came home for Thanksgiving; we had a nice Thanksgiving dinner at Elwood’s. At Christmas she and Violet were home a few days. In March 1951 Maurine slipped on the office floor; broke her knee cap. She was in the hospital again for another operation. Her father and I went and brought her home. She stayed a month then went back to work in the office in Salt Lake. In Feb. 1954, Maurine was sent by plane to California; worked in San Francisco, Los Angeles and other cities to see how the offices were doing. She also visited Violet, Mac, baby; cam back to work in Salt Lake City; flew to Denver also Washington D.C. and in Nov 1954 went to Washington D.C. to set up an office; train an office girl; was there thr4ee months; saw the President light the large Christmas tree; visited old friends, Belva Lee and Rex Lee who used to live in Bybee; also went to congress several times often seen Apostle Benson’s family at church.

Franklin Green Clifford, Biography

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

BIOGRAPHY OF FRANKLIN GREEN CLIFFORD ************************************ Written by his granddaughter, Maurine Clifford, June 1963 Franklin Green Clifford, the seventh child of John Clifford and Elizabeth Price, was born near Hopkinsville, Christian County, Kentucky November 3, 1827. He gave his birthplace as Hopkinsville as did his brothers, but geography and the Kentucky land records indicate that the children were probably born on John's farm which was located on the Pond River or the West Fork of Pond River, both of which are in the northeastern part of Christian County. Hopkinsville is the county seat and is situated near the center of the county. ________________________________________ At this point it is necessary to explain that the John Clifford family used the name of Riston or Wriston until the fall of 1855. This was the name of a foster father, probably in the generation which preceded John. ________________________________________ In 1817 Franklin's father, John Clifford or "Riston" as he was known in Kentucky, purchased 200 acres of third rate land on the Pond River in Christian County, Kentucky and two years later another 250 acres on the West Fork of Pond River. Christian County deeds indicate that John Riston owned numerous parcels of land, including two tracts on what was known as the "town" fork of Little River. This is a small stream which runs through the city of Hopkinsville. However, these tracts were not purchased until 1835 which was after Franklin's birth. It may have been that the family actually lived in Hopkinsville a short time while the boys were growing up. ________________________________________ Little is known of Franklin's childhood and early manhood. The Clifford farm was in the wooded, rolling hill region of western Kentucky. The Land was listed as "third rate" on the tax records which would lead us to believe that very little of this land was actually cultivated. Perhaps the family raised some cattle and hogs and a few patches of tobacco or corn. In those times Kentucky was still a frontier country and families were somewhat dependent on game for part of their food supply. Franklin's early memories of his Kentucky home were of hunting "possum" or quail. ________________________________________ After 1839 the John Clifford (Riston) land ceased to be listed on the Kentucky tax records. There was a reason for this . Early in the 1830's extensive tracts of rich land were opened up in Illinois. During the next fifteen years a great migration of Kentuckians took place and many of the families went to Illinois. John Clifford's brother, Thomas, (who never used the name of Clifford) moved to Hancock County, Illinois about 1835 and on February 16,1840 John moved his family to Madison County, Illinois near his friends and relatives who were already there. ________________________________________ Franklin worked on the farm with his father. It was in Illinois that the Clifford family were converted to Mormonism. On February 16, 1845 Franklin and other members of this family were baptized. About a month later the family left for Nauvoo. Later they left Nauvoo and went to Council Bluffs, Iowa where they arrived July 10, 1846. Several days later two of Franklin's brothers, John Price and Issac Newton, were mustered into the Mormon Battalion. Their names can be found on the Mormon Battalion Monument on the State Capitol grounds in Salt Lake City under the name of "Wriston". ________________________________________ The next spring Franklin and his father's family joined the emigration to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake. At Council Bluffs on March 10, 1849 Franklin married Jerusha Campbell, daughter of Joel Campbell and Mercy Maranda Hill. She was born February 28, 1831 at Harrisville, Tioga County, New York. They were married by Dan Holman, Justice of the Peace, and left for the Great Salt Lake Valley in a wagon train consisting of forty-eight wagons. ________________________________________ On January 29, 1850 in Holt County, Missouri a son, Warren, was born to Franklin and Jerusha. The baby died soon. The mother died of cholera July 3, 1850 and was buried on the banks of the Missouri River. ________________________________________ Franklin and his father's family crossed the Missouri River and continued on the long, dreary journey to the Salt Lake Valley. They arrived October 4, 1850. ________________________________________ At Bountiful, Utah on October 10, 1850 Franklin Green Clifford married Rosetta Campbell, a sister of his late wife. She was born January 28, 1835 in Tioga County, New York. They were married by the bishop of the Ward. Shortly after marriage they moved to Farr's Fort in Ogden where they spent the Winter. The 1850 census of Utah, actually taken in 1851, lists Franklin Wriston, age twenty-three and Rosetta Wriston, age eighteen, living in Weber County, Territory of Deseret. His home was situated between those of Solomon and Samuel Campbell. ________________________________________ On March 10, 1851 Jonathan Campbell, Samuel Campbell, Solomon Campbell, Thomas Dunn, Lemuel Hall, Newman Blodgett, Franklin Clifford, Enoch Burns, David Garner, Noah Brimhall, Gideon Alvord and Ira and Asa Rice started a permanent settlement north of Ogden, later to be known as North Ogden. ________________________________________ August 9, 1851 Franklin Newton Clifford was born to Franklin and Rosetta. The child was born in the bed of a wagon, their only home at the time. He died December 21, 1851. He was the first white child born in the new settlement. ________________________________________ On June 1, 1852 Crandall Dunn was elected Justice of the Peace and Franklin Clifford constable of North Ogden. ________________________________________ Franklin and Rosetta built a log house on what was later the Hyrum Orton property, but in 1854 they were forced to move into Farr's Fort for protection from hostile Indians. ________________________________________ March 15, 1857 Franklin Clifford was called into the standing army organized for protection against the Indians. Along with fifty others, he made a trip to a farm in the Snake River Valley and returned to join the Saints who had moved south to Santaquin because of Indian trouble. The family returned to North Ogden July 4, 1858. ________________________________________ Franklin Clifford was one of a number of persons who built and operated a cane mill for many years. Molasses candy was a favorite Christmas specialty at his home. ________________________________________ It is interesting to note that Moroni Campbell operated a hand mill for cutting shingles on the Clifford farm. ________________________________________ Franklin and Rosetta had twelve children: Franklin Newton and Miranda who died in infancy, Henrietta who married Frederick Cazier; Joel who married Mattie Wray; Franklin Thomas who married twice -- Permelia Cazier and Caroline Amelia Campbell; Charlotte who married William Holmes; Elmer who in his youth fell from a horse and was killed; Leander who died in infancy; Jerusha Ann who married Daniel Webster Hathaway; Rosetta who also married Daniel Webster Hathaway; Joseph Hyrum and Tillie who died in infancy. ________________________________________ Rosetta Campbell Clifford outlived her husband by nine years. She died at her home on Pioneer Street in North Ogden, Utah April 19, 1911. ________________________________________ On October 30, 1852 Franklin was ordained a Seventy by Joseph Young. He was ordained a High Priest April 4, 1899 by Loren Farr. ________________________________________ April 24, 1876 Franklin Clifford entered into plural marriage with Leora Margean Talmadge, widow of Moroni Campbell. Leora was the daughter of John T. Talmadge and Betsy Coss of Mckean County, Pennsylvania. She was born August 5, 1844 in Bainbridge, Chenango, New York. She and Franklin had seven children: John Clark who married Josephine Staley; Ida Anzonetta who married George Wesley Field; Eva Junetta who died in infancy; Albert Nephi who married Alice Ann Alder; Minnie Alvira who married LeRoy Kingsford Livermore; Orrin Caton who married Grace Eames Stephens; Myron Frederick who died in infancy. Ida, Minnie and Orrin are still living (1963). ________________________________________ Franklin Green Clifford died April 6, 1902, age 75 and was buried two days later at North Ogden, Utah. On the day he died the North Ogden Ward Clerk noted in his diary: "Franklin Green Clifford, a very faithful member of the Ward died." The newspaper obituary of the time noted, "He died as he lived, a faithful Latter Day Saint, and leaves a wife and many children and a very large circle of friends who will look with pride on the exemplary life he led." ________________________________________ Among other things, Franklin was a shoemaker and being a very kindhearted person often took no money for his work. He also raised fruit and sorghum cane. As a farmer he was not especially successful. He was a gentle, kindly man and one we would term "easy going". Like many people of his time he placed great credence in dreams. ________________________________________ He had great faith and the gift of healing. He was constantly called into homes of the sick to administer to them. The following is a typical incident in his healing experiences: One of the boys in the Woodfield family in North Ogden took seriously ill. The father waiting patiently until Franklin Clifford drove past his home, then he asked Franklin if he would administer to his sick son. Years later this son told one of Franklin's grandsons that the moment Brother Clifford blessed him he became well. ________________________________________ The minutes of the North Ogden Ward Elder's Quorum for November 23, 1873 state: "Brother Frank Clifford ( a visitor) spoke by invitation. He said he longed to see the time when we shall have no need of doctors but the sick shall be healed by the power of faith." In Franklin's case this was often true. ________________________________________ Another item in the North Ogden Ward minutes mentioned that Franklin Green Clifford spoke in tongues. Later several people testified to this. ________________________________________ Unfortunately Franklin was the victim of asthma and was very ill for many years. When he became too old and sick to attend church by himself the young people of the Ward came to get him. Later, when he was too ill to attend church at all, members of the priesthood brought the sacrament to him. ________________________________________ Franklin and his third wife, Leora, spent many hours doing work in the Salt Lake and Logan temples. They would travel by covered wagon camping out and spending a week at a time at one of the temples. ________________________________________ After the death of her husband, Leora moved to the Snake River Valley where she lived with several of her children. She died in North Ogden, Utah July 26, 1910, age 66. ________________________________________ The men and women who pioneered this country were among the vanguard of a great exodus of God-guided people in quest of a land portrayed by the Prophet Isaiah, "The wilderness and the dry land shall rejoice and blossom as a rose. It shall blossom abundantly and rejoice with joy and singing * * *". ________________________________________ It took many years of faith and hardship to bring this prophecy to fulfillment. These people never knew real comfort or leisure. Life was a constant struggle against the weather, the Indians, grasshoppers, poverty and disease. Many who endured the long journey to the Salt Lake Valley did not survive the difficult years which followed -- they broke physically or spiritually. Although Franklin Clifford never knew material wealth and was for many years a sick man, he was blessed with something more enduring -- with kindness, love of fellow men and faith in his God and his church. ________________________________________ © Copyright 1999 Terry L. Chadwick. Descendants of this person are welcome to copy this history for their own use and the use of their families.

The Case of the Missing Cliffords

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

The Case of the Missing Cliffords, August 1978 By Mary Maurine Clifford daughter of Orrin Caton Clifford and Grace Eames Stephens 260 Wall Street, Apt. 4, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103 In 1967 when we tried to stimulate interest in a family organization by holding a reunion in Brigham City, I reviewed for the descendants of John Clifford and Elizabeth Price what was know at the time concerning this family, particularly the parents of John and his brothers and sisters. Although I have not solved “the case of the missing Clifford's” I have found additional information which might be of interest. There is a strong tradition in the Clifford family that a certain John Clifford from England was a carpenter. While working at his trade he was killed by a fall from a roof. He left a widow with several small children. John’s widow later married a man by the name of Riston or Wriston. Her children by John Clifford took the Riston name as did their descendants,, and they used this name for at least three generations before they again began to use the Clifford name. After the Clifford or Wriston family came to Utah they told Brigham Young that their real name was Clifford. It may be that Tilman Clifford made that statement because Brigham Young personally sealed Tilman to his wives in 1851 in the Endowment House (actually Brigham Young’s office). Brigham Young advised them to start using the Clifford name, but it was not until 1855 that any of the family began to use the Clifford name. All the early 1851 sealings, all priesthood ordinations and even Patriarchal Blessings given at Brigham City by Isaac Morley in April 1855 were in the name of Wriston. John Price and Isaac Newton were in the Mormon Battalion under the Wriston name. In fact, John Price had a difficult time to remember the Clifford name. As late as 1881 he filed a mineral claim in Cache County Utah under the name of John Price Wriston. The 1850 census of Utah taken in 1851 lists the family as Wriston. On Oct. 29, 1855 John Clifford who married Elizabeth Price, his sons John Price Clifford, Leander Holman Clifford and my grandfather, Franklin Green Clifford were resealed to their wives under the name of Clifford. John Price and his wife were sealed by Brigham Young and the others by Heber C. Kimball. When the 1860 census of Utah was taken in July 1860 all the families were using the Clifford name. It is amazing how powerful a family tradition can be. To date I have found no evidence except the above to indicate that our name is really Clifford. Let’s look at the records as we find them. The first census of the United States for the State of Maryland lists and Elisha Riston as head of a family in Prince Georges County. Perhaps Elisha was head of a family for the first time, for there is recorded in the records of St. John’s Protestant Episcopal Church, Prince Georges County, Maryland the marriage of Elisha Riston to Ann Mayoh on Feb. 6, 1790. Marriage licenses of that county also bear this out. Or perhaps this was Elisha’s second marriage, for there is also a record of a marriage in Prince Geroges County of an Elisha Riston to an Aminta Albey, Dec. 4, 1779. The first census or Maryland in 1790 also lists additional Ristons as heads of families: Benjamin (p.16), Basil (p. 14), Rachel (p. 97), Zadock ( p. 97), and Richard and Henery. Of these Benjamin, Basil, Richard and Henry were residing in Ann Arundal County, which is next door to Prince Georges County. There is a record of an Oath of Fidelity (pleging logalty to the State of Maryland after the Declaraion of Independence) which was made by Elisha and Zadock Riston in 1776. (Md 6, vol. 2, p. 307) Zadock Riston served in the Revolutionary Ward and his children received a small pension for his services. There is a record of a John Riston as a private in the Colonial Militia in 1749. Among the records of Ristons in Maryland are records of debts they owed, mostly uncollectible. In the early settlement of Maryland and Virginia most of the land was owned by wealthy noblemen or merchants who obtained it for paying the transportations of some person who wanted to come to America. People who were transported at their expense were usually bound to them for many years to pay for this transportation and worked for only their food and housing. They seldom owned land and consequently no record of their existence was made unless they served in a military capacity, were taken to court for something, rented land from the Crown or owed money or tobacco to the estate of someone who had died. People were either very poor or very rich and there was not much of a middle class. The rich “planters” ran the stores, bought the tobacco from their tenants, and sold them goods in exchange. Actually the planter's extended a sort of credit which was to be settled when tobacco crops or other means of providing money became available. For this reason we find their names in probate records of estates of planters or other person who were property owners. In an inventory of the estate of Thomas Hewitt there is a record of an Elisha Riston who on Aug. 8, 1788 owed 9 pounds, 1 shilling and 1 1/2 farthing in sterling to the Hewitt estate. In the probate records of the estate of Thomas Talbott, Prince Georges County, we find a John Riston on a list of debtors dated Dec. 13, 1752. Were there any Cliffords in Prince Georges County, Maryland during the time Elisha lived there? Yes, there was a John and Monica Clifford listed in the 1776 census of the county in St. John’s Parish. John and his son Jeremiah took the Oath of Fidelity in 1776. In 1774 there is a record of John Clifford owing an uncollectibel dept to the estate of Jacob Wirts. On May 11, 1778 in Prince Georges County an inventory was made of the goods and chattles of John Clifford, deceased. The total estate was appraised at 301 pounds and 6 pence. Zephemiah Clifford and William Hutcheson were listed as kin; Monica Clifford, wife of John, as administratrix of the estate. Monica Clifford had to put up a bond as administratrix of her husband's estate. Frances Wheat and Lewis Wilcoxen were the bondsman. On April 9, 1782 there was a final settlement of the estate of John Clifford. The estate was distributed as follows: equally among 5 children—Jeremiah, Milder (female), Nehemiah, Sara and Elizabeth. The widow received one-third of the balance. After the death of John, Monica evidently moved to a nearby town in Fairfax County, Virginia. We find a deed (Film 7457, Liber R, p. 212) in which Monica, in order to secure payment of 200 pounds she owed to Overton Carr, deeded to him 5 Negroes, some furniture, dishes, pots and pans, etc. (practically everything she owned). There is a deed given by Nehemiah Clifford to William Hepburn on a lot in the town of Alexandria, Virginia dated Jan 1, 1787, this deed being given for money owed Hepburn. The deed specified that the debt should be paid in Spanish dollars weighing a certain amount of sterling, etc. So far we have never been able to establish any connection with this (our) Clifford family and the Ristons. At this point, permit me to digress. Some years ago Maxine Jones, a descedant of John Price Clifford, contacted a Henry Wriston who was at that time president of Brown University in Rhode Island. He had been named by President Eisenhower as a member of a national educational committee. She asked him for genealogical information and he referred her to his brother, Col. Roscoe Wriston of Laie, Hawaii who had been researching Wriston genealogy over many years. I learned from Maxine of a pedigree chart Roscoe Wriston had compiled in which he listed four brothers who were supposed to have come to an area around Baltimore, Maryland from England in the mid-1700’s. They were from Cornwall, England. These brothers were Allen, Reason, Basil and Elisha. Basil and Reason were twins. Roscoe, Henry and a brother Aurthur, who now lives near the Hawaii National Park in Hawaii were descendants of Reason. Roscoe died two years ago but before he died he made a trip to England to try and make family connections. He had no luck. He also turned all his genealogical information over to Arthur. Henry died this past year. I visited Arthur and his wife on the Island of Hawaii in 1973. I never did see the information Roscoe sent Maxine nor the chart, which I believe she copied. Years later Arthur, who had tried to contact Maxine without results, found my name in her correspondence and wrote to me. The result was that I was sent a copy of the chart which wasn’t any help to me because it involved only the line of Reason Riston. But we exchanged information and through him I learned that Elisha Riston had purchased land in Monroe (once Greenbrier) County, West Virginia between 1793-96; that Reason settled in West Virginia and many of his descendants are still there. I learned Allen helped settle Charlotte, North Carolina and that Basil was in Tennessee in 1810, and his son John Wriston lived in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky (adjoining Christian Co.). The 1850 census of Muhlenberg County states John was born in North Carolina so Basil must have lived there before going to Tennessee. The 1850 census of Christian County, Kentucky lists as head of family a Nancy Wriston, age 79, born in Maryland, and in her home was an Elizabeth Wriston, age 50, born in Virginia and a Joseph Wriston, age 21, born in Kentucky. The 1860 census shows an Elizabeth Wriston, age 63, born in Virginia and Joseph M. Wriston, farmer, age 30. At first Arthur Wriston in Hawaiii thought this Nancy in the 1850 census might have been the widow of Basil. He said Basil lived in the Green River country of Kentucky but removed to Madison County, Illinois where he died. It may be possible that Nancy later returned to Kentucky to be nearer her son, John but that is a rather long guess. If you will remember the John and Elizabeth Clifford family at one time lived in Madison Co., Ill. None of the Wristons or Wristens I have contacted had ever heard of the Clifford connection. In fact, I think they are quite skeptical that it ever existed. We do not know whether Elisha Riston actually ever lived in West Virginia or if he just purchased land there for speculation. The next we hear of him is in Christian Co., Kentucky. It is interesting to note that it was not until the Riston’s moved to Kentucky that their name was spelled with a “W”. In those days few could read or write and the person who could write enough to make records spelled the name as it sounded to him when spoken. The first entry on the Christian County tax records of 1810 spells the name ‘Reestin”. The Texas and Illinois relatives spell the name “Wristen”. There is a land entry for an “Elijah” Restin for 30 acres, Christian Co., Kentucky in 1810. In 1811 the tax records of that county lists Elisha Restin having 200 acres of third-rate land on Pond River. There is a deed dated Nov. 9, 1811 between Thomas Alman and Mary, his wife, of the County of Knox, Indian Territory, and Elisha Restin of Christian County, Kentucky in which Elisha purchased 200 acres of land in Christian Co for $200. On the margin of the deed is a note “Delivered to Thomas Riston 20th april 1821.” (Deed Book C, p. 322) There is a conflict of names in early deeds in that Elisha and Elijah are used interchangeably. In one deed both names are used in the same deed and in an 1816 deed which names the heirs of Elisha, the name used is Elijah. In the merging of that deed is the note “Grays deed delivered to Restins heirs Feb, 1818”. With the exception of the 1810 tax record which lists Elijah Restin, all the remaining tax records up to the time of Elisha’s deah in early 1816 are in the name of Elisha. Will Book C, p. 58, Christian Col, Kentucky gives an appraisal of the property of “Elijah Restin, “deceased on 20 April 1816. His total property including furniture and farm tools and crops amounted to $467.50. Here we have a question. Was there actually and “Elijah” and also an “Elisha” Riston? Could the Elijah listed with the 30 acres on the 1810 tax records be the same individual whose estate was inventoried in April 1816? Or did Elisha pronounce his name with a slurring of the:”S” so that sometimes it sounded like “j” instead of “s”? We personally know that the heirs listed in the 1816 deed between Abner Gray and Phebe, his wife, and the representatives of Elijah Ristin, deceased were really Elisha’s children. This deed states that $500 had been paid to the Grays previous to the time of the death of Elijah. Obviously, Elijaa or Elisha did not get a formal deed when he gave the money to Gray, for the deed is dated 19 Sept. 1816. and if there was an Elijah who purchased this much land, why was he never listed as such on the tax records after 1810? Elisha Riston or Restin started with 200 acres of land in 1811 and in 1815 or early 1816 he added another 200 acres adjoining his property, this being on the McFarland Fork on Pond River. The tax records carry Elisha Riston through 1815. He does not appear again in Christian County. In 1816 and 1817 his land was listed on tax records under that name of John Riston. There are no surviving tax records for 1818 but in 1819 Elisha‘s land was listed under the name of Mary Riston and in 1820 the tax books lists this land under the name of Sarah Ann Riston and it continued this way through 1837 when the heirs sold it. In the 1837 deed the heirs of Elisha sold 370 acres of land to Archibald Coleman and relinquished all rights to it with the exception of “the old Lady’s dower”. This deed was signed by Clement Daves (husband of Henrietta), John Wristen, Reuben H. Wristen, Noamy Wristen, James Newcome (husband of Nancy, deceased), Henrietta Davis, Elizabeth Wristen, Polly Wristen, Elija Wriste, Leony Wristen (wife of Elijah). (Christian Co. Ky., deed Book X, p. 295) Little is known of Elizabeth, Naomi and Polly (Mary) Wriston but we do have a record of their baptism in the Logan Utah Temple on June 5, 1895 in which Martha Dees, John’s oldest child and only daughter, acted as proxy, listing herself as Niece. Marriages were found in Hopkinsville, Kentucky for Polly (Mary) in marriage Book 1, p. 167 and for Naomi to Duncan Moore, 1 April 1850, Book 2, p. 178. Naomi married a widower with a large family. Marriage records were also found in the same place for John Riston and Elizabeth Price, Rachel to Robert Henderson, Thomas to Hannah A. Boggess, Mary to Jesse Hardison, Nancy to James Newcome. Nothing was found for Elizabeth except the mention of her name in deeds. Marriages were found in Hopkins Co., Kentucky for Elijah Riston to Leona Sisk and for Reuben Riston to Vernetta Adkins. Census records for Chrisian Col, Kentucy list John Wriston as head of family in 1830 and 1840. Thomas Wriston and Sarah Ann Wriston are listed in 1830 but Thomas is missing from the 1840 census. In 1833 he moved to Hancock County, Illinois. Sara Ann and her son Reuben Wriston are both listed in 1840. Elijah Wriston, Elish’s son is shown on Christian County tax records from 1828 to 1837 and after that on tax records of Hopkins County until 1845. The 1850 census of Muhlenberg County lists Elijah and family. Reuben is in Henderson County in 1850. Deeds indicate he was in that county until about 1859. I have since discovered that both Reuben and Elijah moved to Texas. Elijah went first to New Madrid County, Missouri, to Arkansas and thence to Texas. One of his sons was an early mayor of Abiline. I do not know when Reuben went to Texas but his son A.C. Wristen was there during the Civil War and his widow was in Fannin County, Texas in 1870 at the time of the census. Elijah married three times; Leona Sisk died around 1850 or 1851. He married, second, Nancy P. Davis widow of J.B. Davis in Hopkins Co., Ky. And he married, third a Mary B. ________) by whom he had five children. He was 73 at the time of the 1880 census in Jack County, Texas. Some time between 1840 and 1845 the John Wriston family left Kentucky and moved to Illinois. They first went to Madison County. They had relatives living in Madison, McCoupin and Hancock Counties. Hancock County history states that Thomas Wriston moved there from Kentucky in 1833. Through correspondence with a Carl E. Wristen of Columbus, Ohio (now deceased) during early 1970’s, I obtained considerable information about Thomas and many of his descendants. The sixth son of Thomas was born in Illinois in 1835 (family Bible of Thomas Wriston). Thomas’ will was dated March 6 1880 and proved Dec. 10, 1881. He was married three times, although the only marriage recorded was for the first wife, Hannah Boggess. The names of his second and third wives were shown on deeds. His eldest son, John H. Riston remained in Hancock County, Illinois and some of his descendants are still living there. Some of the others went to California seeking gold. In his will, Thomas, in a rather sorrowful statement, mentions three grandchildren to whom he gave $1 each. He said this was because they became rich and forgot their grandfather. The Clifford name is not common in the Southern States. There was a large family of Cliffords in New England but there is no indication they are related to us. A few names of Cliffords are scattered through Prince Georges and other Maryland counties. There are records of testamentary proceedings (some in connection with probates) for Daniel Clifford, Dorchester Col, 1709, John Clifford, Calvert County 1673, Morris Clifford, Dorchester Co. 1727 (he was realted to Daniel and Mary) Mary Clifford, Talbot Co., 1709, Michael Clifford, Somerset Co. 1715 and Thomas Clifford, Oct. 1693, Hugh Clifford, Prince Georges Co. 1778 giving oath of fidelity. He was in Frederick Co., Maryland in 1770. A few Clifford's were transported to Maryland as servants including a John Clifford who arrived in Maryland June 30, 1650 at the cost and charge of Robert Brooks. He was later found dead in water where he drowned. A George Clifford was transported in 1669, John Clifford (servant 1668), Mary Clifford, 1674. There is mention of a John Clifford who was taken prisoner by Oliver Cromwell’s men at the Battle of Dunbar 1648 in England. He was transported to the American Colonies and sold as a seven-year indentured servant. This was very likely the one owned by Robert Brooks, mentioned above. The most interesting possibility of a connection between the Clifford and Riston families is one which Fern Clifford Dennis, a descendant of John Price Clifford, and I have both run into. Court records of Prince Georges County, Maryland (975.251 p22m) tell of an Abigaile Clifford being ordered by the Grand Jury to appear in Court for twice bearing ******* children. The father of the first child was Anthony Smith who was very much married. The court ordered the sheriff to take Abigaile to the whipping post and give her 26 lashes on her bare back, then she was committed to the custody of the Sheriff until she paid her fees. This was at January Court 1696/97. On the 14th of Sept. 1696 Peter Scamper became her bondsman in case she failed to appear in court. In June Court 1697 Abigaile appeared to bind her child called Edward Riston unto Peter Scamper until he arrived at the age of 21 years. He was to be taught to read and write and at the expiration of his time, was to be given two suits of clothes, one being of Kersey and the other of Serge and two of a sort of all necessary apparel. Why Abigaile named her son Edward Riston will never be known unless perhaps she had Riston relatives. In September 1699 John Bennett was called into Court for begetting a male child on the body of Abigail Clifford. The Court ordered Bennett to pay a fine of 20 schillings to the King and 800 pounds of tobacco to Edward Willett, the master of Abigaile Clifford. This child was named John Clifford and the mother was given thirty lashes on her bareback. John Clifford, being five months old, was bound out (apprenticed) to Edward Willett until the age of 21. No additional record was ever found of him. Evidently Abigaile’s child named Edward Riston continued to live with Peter Scamper to whom he was bound, and he was mentioned in the will of Peter which was proved 15 March 1715/16. He was left personal property of some kind. Then Jane Scamper of Prince Georges County, wife of Peter, left two servants John Wheeler and Edward Riston her personal estate. Edward was trained to be a carpenter. It would appear that he married Mary Chaffey. There is an entry in the records of St. Brnabas Church, Prince Georges County, (Film 3464. [t/ 2) “Edward Resting and Mary Chaffery were married march the 18th 1715/16.” A deed in Upper Marlborough, Md. in 1736 indicates he bought land known as Chaffeys Delight from Thomas Sprigg and the deed listed “carpenter” after his name. There is another deed between Edward Riston of Prince Georges County, carpenter, and William Willet dated Nov. 29, 1739. Still another deed shows that on 28 July 1755 Edward Riston and his wife, Mary sold Chaffees Delight. Land office records in Annapolis (Liber CC, folio 118) 1723 indicate that Edward Riston and Mary Chaffey were husband and wife, and later land patents indicated that Mary was the daughter of Richard Chaffey. Maryland Calender of Wills, vol. 2, p. 193 show that Richard Chaffee of Prince Georges, Maryland left a will proved 25 Aug. 1698 in which two daughters Mary and Margery were left personal effects, his wife Ann, the dwelling plantation during her life which was to pass to her daughters, Mary and Margery after her death. Overseers of the estate were Samuel Magruder and Edward Willett. When I found the wedding of Edward Riston and Mary Chaffey, I became very excited, thinking that there might be records of children at St. Barabas Chruch. I found the parish records some of the best and most complete I have seen, but there was absolutely no mention of any children of Edward and Mary Riston. Yet we know they lived in Prince Georges County until they sold the plantation Chaffee’s Delight in 1755. Apparently they did not register births or deaths of children, as was the custom if they ever had any. There was another Edward Riston living in Baltimore County, Maryland about the same time and he died in 1755. His wife was Rachael. He lived in St. Pauls (later called St. Thomas) parish and had children ann, Henry, Azchariah, Kitturay (or Citturay) and Sarah. His wife, Racheal afterward married Renald Monk. There are at least two generations between the Edward Riston, son of Abigaile Clifford, and our Elisha Riston (if he was born about 1755). Since we have no information that Edward every had children, there is no way of following this possible connection, if there was every any point to it. My feeling is that the missing records will never be found so there is no way the Ristons we know can be connected with Abigaile Clifford. Therefore as of August 1978, it is still the “case of the missing Cliffords.”

Grace Eames Stephens Clifford personal life story

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Life Story of Grace Eames Stephens Clifford Written in her own hand in 1950 and transcribed with some spelling corrections by her grandson Sheldon Nelson, September 2004. On October 10, 1887 I was born in Menan, Idaho on the lot that is now owned by Dean, Elwood. Joe Poole and John Keller. The log house where I was born stood about where Elwood (Clifford’s) house now is. There was a long room in front, I’d say probably twenty by twelve or fourteen feet and on the back was a kitchen about 12 by 12. Where Adrian Eames lives my grandmother Eames had one log room. There she lived alone. She came from England and five months before her youngest son was born her husband grandfather Eames passed away in Plain City Utah. I remember he and my mother tell some interesting things about settling in Menan. Most of the few families at that time were polygamists; Brother Poole, Green and several others. At that time the government sent men to persecute the men and women who lived in polygamy. I was three weeks old when mother had washed our clothes and left them on the clothes lines outside. Being tired after a hard day of work she had gone to bed early. She says it seamed like she had just gone to sleep when she was wakened by a Gentile taping on her window which was close to the bed. She got up at once and went to the window said “yes”, (to make this clear at that time the Mormons had several scouts who watched for the mobs and warned the Later Day Saints of danger from them). This man’s name was Billie Stoddard. He told mother to get dressed as quickly as possible because the mob was coming to get her. He also said he had an outfit to take her to the train. He gathered all the baby clothes from the line, put them in a pillowslip. By then mother was ready. She had wrapped her baby in a brown woolen shawl and a blanket. (Later she gave me that shawl to use with my babies). She got on the horse behind him and they rode thru the field to where the midway houses are now which was trees and brush at that time. There was a wagon team and perhaps some other men to help them. They drove to the Snake River bank south of where the bridge is now, took the baby across the river in a boat and caught the midnight train, which was going to Ogden. She said the people looked at her and acted like she was a criminal. She arrived there and sent word to Willard Carver to come after her. Willard was related to her. He took us to his home and his good wife who treated her kindly. She stayed there a long time. She didn’t dare be seen so she worked at night doing sewing and quilting for friends who they could trust who knew she was there. The Carvers were wonderful to mother and also her baby and she could do some sewing for Mrs. Carver who was raising her family to help pay her room and board. She was too proud to stay without paying in part for their kindness. I have very high regard for the Carvers. Willard and wife treated me like a queen the three times I visited them after I was married. Willard never tired of telling me what a wonderful mother I had, which I surly knew. He also told me I had lots of black hair and looked like a little papoose as a baby. Grandmother Eames undoubtedly took care of Lizzie, Jim and Mina. Lizzie was ten years old, Jim four and Mina two. Mother’s four older children had all died before. She must have had many heart breaking things happen to her although she never complained. On May 17, 1900 mother was put in as President of Menan Relief Society after serving as first and second counselor for most of the organization of the ward in April 21, 1884. She served as President for twenty years. From May 17, 1900 until Oct 19, 1920, was released because of failing health. Bishop John W. Hart was Bishop when she was put in President of the R.S. Many lovely tributes were paid her and a poem dedicated to her. When Menan Ward was first organized it was called Cedar Butte and John R. Poole was the presiding Elder at that time. Later the name was changed to Menan, an Indian name meaning, Island. After John R. Poole was released as presiding Elder, Brother R. L. Bybee was put in as Bishop and later my Brother W. N. Stephens was Bishop of Menan. While he was Bishop the people got together and built the Little Rock church which later John Poole sold to Mr. Beck for a cellar. He moved the rocks. John Poole was Bishop at that time. I was born just three years before the manifesto was issued which was Sept 24, 1890 and at conference October 1890 it was approved by the Later Day Saints. After the manifesto, mother didn’t live with father and lots of the Mormon women worked hard like mother to get along. Though the persecution went on just the same, we lived in the log house until I was about 12 years old. I believe that one night while mother was with the sick taking care of them, the kitchen caught fire and burned partly down. It was saved by the good neighbors. As a child about the first thing I remember was our log house. At the east end on each side of the room was two beds, one on each side of the room, an east window in the center of the wall and to make a bedroom at that end there was a light wire from the south and north walls, with a creaton curtain which we pulled when going to bed. Mother and I slept in one bed, Lizzie and Mina in the other, Jim on a lounge in the kitchen. Mother had a rag carpet on this large room with plenty of straw under it which was changed and clean put in spring and fall. Also we didn’t have any mattress but straw ticks made of factory, a heavy material cream colored. After thrashing each fall they would gather clean oat straw for this tick to put on the beds; two on each bed so if company came, which so often did, a tick could be put on the floor to make a good bed. As I remember I was a happy child. We didn’t have anything very nice in our home but it was always clean and we were very contented. Always we went to Primary and Sunday school. Aunt Mina Stephens was President of the Primary; Mother, a stake board member in the mutual and a counselor in the Menan Relief Society also our Sunday school teacher. Mother made all our clothes all our bedding and even knitted our stockings. One thing I always remember, we always had some good best shoes which we took good care of because they were so hard to get. We always had plenty of good clean quilts which to make extra beds with and we had lots of chances to make use of the bedding. Mother has told us how they gathered wool off wire fences and low shrubs, washed it and carded it to make quilts. I never remember of ever seeing a dirty or raged quilt in mother’s home. On the three acres lot we had hay and a nice garden each summer. Mother dried corn and we saved all kinds of seed that we had to plant the next year. As I remember we always had two or three cows some pigs and some chickens. And when we killed a chicken, mother always saved the feathers for pillows and some of the fat to make hair oil. I remember she would put on a drop or two of precious perfume which she had treasured with such care after bringing it from Utah. We went to church in a one-log room building, which stood about where our lovely brick church stands today. We also used it for a school. One of the things I remember all the while Grandmother Eames lived, she always had dinner at our home if she was at home. And being English, in the summer at five and winter at four. mother would go to her home for tea. No matter who or how many were to our home for dinner, grandmother was always welcome. She was a small women about the size of Maurine but always wore a tall skirt and full petticoats gathered around the waist which made her look fat and always a hair net over her hair sometimes a curl would creep out by her ear or neck and I often wished she would forget the net and let her curly hair be curly. She had large black eyes if she grew angry. About the first thing I remember about myself was how I hated to bother to comb my hair each morning. I had a mop of dark brown hair always with sort of a glint of a auburn and we didn’t have nice hairbrushes then and our hair would get snarls in when pulled and combed. When came the fall I was to go to school. I recall I had some hew calico aprons, hair ribbon and under things as the kids have now, only not a third as much. I mustn’t forget my new Slate with a frame and string around it like this (a crude drawing shown here) and a stick of clay for a slate pencil, white so I could rub it out and see it on the black slate. So proud I was of that. I don’t remember much about school that year. School didn’t start until much later than Sept or Oct like now and let out much earlier in the spring. We walked to and from school with the neighbor’s kids, Lillina Eames stands out in my memory, Ann Eames; looks a lot like her Aunt Lillian and her build is like Lillian’s, her beautiful brown eyes. When I was around seven years old I think, a new girl came to school one morning with white hair and bangs across her forehead like we all did. She and I got acquainted real soon and played hopscotch and old cat, such games as kids played at recess. Her father John W. Hart had moved to Menan with his family. He lived in Uncle Spence Raymond’s building which had been Uncle Spence’s store, was on the lot where Glen Watson lives just about by his front gate. He had bought a ranch in the west part of town where the Hart family now lives. Soon they moved on the ranch. Lizzie Ellen, as she was called, grew up and we were good friends always. We went to stay all night at times at each other’s homes. I remember after school was out for the summer, one spring when mother was combing my hair, guess I was giving her a bad time as usual and she ask me if I would like my hair cut off like a boy. I told her I would so I had all that haircut off and so did Lizzie Ellen. I remember as I looked in the looking glass often, I was horrified to see such a homely little girl looking back at me. But I didn’t let on that I was worried and by fall it had grown enough to be almost impossible to do anything with. I was still a round-faced ugly kid. We were happy as usual to greet the other kids; Susie and Edith Yearsley, Lillian, Laura Eames, Lizzie and others. In the summer at different times I used to go to Uncle Will’s home to play and visit with Aunt Ella and the boys, Wess, Earl, Ray. Glen was the baby. We wandered all over the lower or west end of Menan which was then not fenced and called the school section. There were several old mines. One we use to go to there and pick up different kinds of rocks, it was the largest, the Old Paul Manning Mine on the land which is now owned by Kirt Hawker on the south west corner. At one time lots of gold was taken out of this mine. There were lots of wild flowers in the spring and the three older boys would go fishing in the crick at a place called “Slow Push”. They always caught several nice fish. I picked flowers in the evening and we would go home and fry the fish with potatoes half done and have supper in the boy’s house. About 1891 the Molin family built a lovely new home on the east end of their farm and the men made all the brick on the Molin farm and burned them to build the house. So the Eames boys, who were the grandchildren of Mr. & Mrs Molin, got the idea they would make enough brick to make them a room which they did. I remember they took boards and made forms then piled up the brick and sat up nights to burn the brick with the wood they had got and hauled in their little old wagon they made using four old mowing machine wheels besides other material that they got on the farm. They had a pinto horsed to hook on to the wagon. After the brick was all ready and burned enough, the great day arrived to start the house. I was with the kids part of the time while all this was going on. There was one door and a window on the north when the room was finished. How happy children can be after they have accomplished such a hard task. But how proud I was of those cousins. Now a table was made some stools, shelves and an old iron stove as I recall. Those were some of the happiest days of my childhood, which by the way were always full and running over with joy and happiness. I used to sit in the middle on the board across the wagon box as Wes or Earl drove the old horse and wagon with a load of kindling to Grandmother Eames and to take me home after so nice a visit. When the boys did this I was getting to be a bigger girl, 1891 the year. I could comb my own hair and iron and help a lot of times when Aunt Ella was busy; sewing, washing dishes, sweep and helping in lots of ways. Our forth of July celebrations were usually held in the old grove on Aunt Karriel Poole’s place where seats were made in the shade of the Cottonwood trees and also a platform for the people on the program to stand on. Then as young people, after the Sunday afternoon meeting, which we always attended, we went to the grove where there were several swings in the trees. Then we came home to supper at some of the homes; sometimes mother’s sometimes, sisters, Ina Green Hart’s or Ann Eames or Laura Watson’ where there were always lots of jokes and tricks played on the people attending the dinner at Laura Watson’s. I mustn’t forget to say those Eames boys were the cleanest minded kids in the town, never a vulgar word or a swear word was ever used in my presence or a thing that wasn’t strictly O.K. And we spent hours playing together, riding on the old raft on the Slough on Uncle Will’s farm and along trips after the cows which were allowed to run at large and more often than not would cross the Snake River bridge that was where the bridge is now, only not so good. We would go clear over on the Roberts (then Market Lake) side after the cows. Sometimes it would be almost dark before we would get home with them. But now I am growing older and must help mother with the work at home. She is out with the sick a lot of times, night and day. She sews and makes quilts for people at home. After a few years I was put in secretary of the Menan Young Women organization, which I had for eight years, and which I helped until after I was married then was released just before Maurine was born in 1909. Later I was a Gleaner teacher also a teacher in the Primary. As I grew into young womanhood, all the years Lizze Ellen Hart and I were dear friends sharing all our joys together, dressing alike lots of times, going with boys who were pals. They had begun to call Lizzie, Beth instead of Lizzie Ellen. She liked it better. We all did. She and I both belonged to the Menan choir and we never missed a practice unless we had to, and always went to Sacrament meeting to help sing. I remember Bishop Hart telling us it was as important for the members of the choir to be present as the Bishop. Beth Hart and I used to sing for entertainments like missionary farewells or homecomings, at parties and programs in the ward. Beth had a beautiful alto voice. Sometimes Lillian Eames sang with us. We sang church songs as “Whispering Hope”, “When you and I were young Maggie”, “The Stranger’s Story”, and others. Mrs. Ida Smith played for us on the piano. Lillian Eames and I spent many happy hours together she was a grand girl my age. Later Married Sam Shippen of Ogden, Utah; had a nice family. Her mother was my half-sister and lived close to Sister Hart’s mother; worked in the Relief Society together and were very good friends. I remember when Mother decided we would build us a new frame house; wish I could remember the year. How worried I was but how happy and so we began on the house. I was about ___ years old at the time. Uncle John Eames had a sawmill in Teton so he hauled us several boards and Sister Hart’s mother took a team wagon, drove to Roberts (then Market Lake), hauled several loads of lumber to Menan. The house still stands on the lot, Heber Yearsley did the planning and carpentry work. Charley Muskgrave did the plastering. We couldn’t afford the finishing lumber for the casings on all the doors until a few years later. But happy was the day when we put down our rag carpets with straw under them and moved in our new home. If it had been a palace we wouldn’t have been happier or more thankful. And as we kneeled around the table at prayer at night and morning, no matter who offered the prayer we didn’t forget to thank our Heavenly Father for his blessings and goodness to us. Mother taught us to be virtuous, live clean, honest lives, not to envy our neighbors who had better things but to rejoice with them. How happy we were for our first new curtains in the front room, how proud of them. Then a few hears later a new stove; carpet from wall to wall with paper under instead of straw, wonderful times. How clean we kept the house. Then later after a few years, a new folding bed and a center table, also a new heater for the front room. Such rejoicing and joy was never in another home we didn’t think. Before this, Lizzie had married Ewalt Poole in the Logan Temple, lived on the Jane Poole ranch; Ewalt’s mothers. I used to go stay with her a lot, enjoyed myself, helped her cook for hay men and thrashers and her first daughter. We all loved her so much; large black eyes like Grandmother Eames and mother’s dark brown hair, a pretty little girl. Mother and I drove to Iona to conference with the horse buggy. We stayed to President James Stelle’s all night. Sister Steel had stayed in our home many nights. Hanna their daughter and I were about the same age. Beth stayed at Stangus. Iral Godmenson and George Stanger who were Iona boys took us for a buggy ride to Idaho Falls Saturday night, treated us to ice cream in an ice cream parlor. That fall they opened the Lincoln Sugar Factory. I had to take the mutual minutes to have the church historian look them over to see if I was doing it correctly. He wrote across several pages, “very good work, neat and nice”. How happy I was. Beth was my assistant secretary. Sunday evening after the afternoon church we drove home to Menan, tired but happy and proud that we were Mormons and had as friends such wonderful folks as the Pres Steel family, Stangus, Rustons, Goodmensons, Bennets, Brunts and others. My brother Bill was the first Postmaster, also the first mailman in Menan without pay, 1885. In the old log house, the floor boards also casings on doors and windows were hauled from Beaver Canyon. They planed and smoothed them as best they could with a hand plane. My half-brothers, John and Will helped to build the log homes. And john lived with mother, chopped wood, helped with the garden; helped with the children. He was a fine young boy. Born Jan 4, 1869. In later life he lived in Rexburg where he now lives. He went on a mission to England, then later to the Southern States. I was Gleaner teacher in the Mutual and when I was 18 I was married, moved to a farm west and north of Menan. We lived there until after Dean was born in 1916. I was married March 1, 1907. Seven days later Orrin was operated on in Ogden for appendicitis. We stayed in my Aunt Mina’s until he was well enough, then went to the Salt Lake Temple, went there then came home to Menan. Maurine was born at mother’s home April 3, 1909. That summer my health was poor all summer because of the Dr. neglect but in the fall of Oct 1911 our second son was born in the home west of Menan or in Menan west part. In that spring we bought the Ballentine ranch, sold our forty acres to Mr. Hanson and moved up here. Ab’s family and ours lived in the old Ballentine home; they in part and us in part until we could build our new home on this ranch. We were thankful for our nice new home and I like to live here much. That summer Orrin leveled the land and we started our new home. Mr. Rickets did the carpenter work and in Jan 1918 we moved into our new home. We were very thankful for our nice new home and I like to live here; much better to make the home look better. In the spring we planted lawn and built a barn, coal house and some other buildings and garage. Then in Aug 20, 1918 a baby girl was born; just lived two weeks. Blanch Merrill came that fall; stayed with us and taught school in the little church on the George Brindly farm, then the Luxton farm. And in 1919 Nov 19, Violet our fourth daughter was born. The girls went to school there in that small schoolhouse a few years then it was discontinued and they hauled the children to school at Menan in wagons. An in Oct 17, 1922 June was born here at home just before that time I was put in President of the Primary; before I had been a counselor to Lula Hanson and a teacher in the Menan Primary under Sister Sam Barrett. William Barrett was Bishop at that time. Later while I was still President Bishop George L. Hart was put in Menan Bishop July 24, 1924. Larry was born, he was our last child and as I lived a long way from the church and had my small children to look after at home I asked to be released. I enjoyed the work in the Primary laboring with Eva Green, Mary Martin as counselors, Alice Hart secretary, all fine cooperative women. The teachers were all fine girls and women; Beth Raymond, Netti Gray, Norma Richardson and Ella Cladwell. We had an interesting project that first year of building from pasteboard such buildings as the Mansion House, the home of the Prophet Joseph, also the home of Joseph Smith Sr. and others and the L.D.S. Salt Lake Temple. The children enjoyed that work and the buildings were on display at the Stake Tabernacle for some weeks. It was a work of love and we all enjoyed it. Alice Clifford also was a teacher and many times we took our small children, walked from our home to the church to primary which was over two miles. Also I had a horse and buggy for my use. Orrin traded a cow to Uncle John Eames for me a horse or mare. So Alice family and myself drove to Primary. I couldn’t drive the car. After the children graduated from grade school in Menan they all went to Midway High School, walking all the way, Fall, Winter and Spring, as all the neighborhood children did. One year Harold Clifford used our buggy, his horse Midnight, and he and Maurine rode to school. The year Maurine was a senior she went to California to the Union High School in Glendale; lived with my cousin’s family, Dr Earl Eames, graduated there. The next fall she went to Provo to the BYU. There she was hurt jumping and had to come home and for the next year and few months she couldn’t walk or do anything. But in the fall we took her to a specialist and had her knee operated on in Salt Lake LDS hospital. She graduated with a Master’s Degree in commerce from Logan College. She works in Salt Lake City as librarian of the Geological Survey office. Helen also graduated from Midway with honors. She was wonderful in dramatic speech and won several medals in speech contests with such teachers as Brother Clayson J. Edgar Lyons. She loved that work. She was Stake board member, 1929. She worked in the Menan YLMIA as counselor and was married to Melvin Clement in the Salt Lake Temple, Nov 25, 1931; moved to Lewisville with Melvin; lived on the Clement farm. Helen wrote mother’s life story. Helen was a Gleaner teacher in the Lewisville Ward in 1935. In 1935 Helen’s health became poor and for two years she was in the hospital lots of the time. Then on Nov 22, 1935, Helen passed away in the LDS Hospital in Idaho Falls. Her funeral held in Midway schoolhouse, because the Lewisville church was under repair; was buried in the Lewisville cemetery. Thus ended the short life of a lovely usefull daughter with much sorrow, heartaches. Elwood also graduated from Midway Nov 17, 1933. He married Bernice Hone from Spanish Fork, Utah in the Salt Lake Temple. Later worked for the Coop and for the last eight years farmed his father’s farm. He lives in Menan, has four sons. Dean also graduated from Miday April 8, 1930. That fall he went to Logan, that next fall went to school that year; spent 42 months in the South Pacific in World War II. He came home later and went to Arizona, worked awhile then to Rexburg where he married Eula Hesley in Salt Lake City; now lives in Twin Falls. Ida works for Standard Oil. Violet graduated from Logan College in June 1, 194 with a degree in commerce after four years. After working in San Diego California for six years, married Berlin Mussell Aug 11, 1950; came home for two days then goes to Columbia and there they live at the present time. June, like the other children graduated from Midway with honors. That fall she goes to Pocatello to college for a year; takes parts in plays; has the first curtain call in 25 years. Then in Aug 29th 1941, marries Adrian Nelson. At this time she has two little boys and one little girl. They live at this time in Walla Walla, Washington. Then Larry graduated; lived at home until Dec 9, 1942. He married Guinever Hancock. They are now living in Menan. They have 3 children, 2 girls and a boy. This year he is farming our farm in Menan. So for 33 years we have lived on the ranch here in Menan with lots of hard work, much happiness and sorrow at times in times of death of my wonderful mother also my sister Mina, a couple of years later. Then this past year in August 1, 1950 Lizzie Poole passes quietly away in her home in Pocatello with a heart attack. Jim and I are the last of mother’s children. So there goes 63 years of my life gone with the wind. But I mustn’t forget Ethel Worsley one of my very fine friends who I have loved and cherished through all these years. I often go to see her in her home in Centerville, Utah. She has been to see and visit us in our home several times, always a happy visit. Last October we go and visit in Salt Lake with Maurine, Ina, Blain; go to the Beehive House which is indeed a wonderful inspiration of the pioneer people; President Brigham Young; also the new Daughters of the Utah Pioneer building, see all the relics of the pioneers there and look over that beautiful city at night; visit my brother Jim who is in such poor health, crippled with arthritis; other relatives. In the years while we lived here and Ab, Alice's family were here, she and I were good friends, neighbors. I have surely a good regard for the girls, Idana, Donna, Fontell who were so lonesome after their mother passed away. Ab and the boys to Mrs. Joe Oswald and I have been very good friends through the many years we lived as neighbors and all her kids. May they live many years and have lots of happiness. My nice daughters-in-law have been fine and have helped to make my life fuller. My visits to June and Adrian and their visits here have been full of happiness with her nice children, little Sheldon who we loved so much who lived with us while his father was in the Navy. Junes fine husband who we love and respect very much; Ronny and Judy also. The last year of mother’s life she spent part of the time at our home in Menan; enjoyed very good health until the last week, after deciding to go home in the Spring because she was homesick. Orrin and I took her home; I cleaned the house up after a winter away at our place. And after staying the day there, visiting Elwood and Bernice, came back home with us that night. The next morning she wasn’t all that well and passed away in a few days at my home. Our children loved her and were very nice to her always and she loved the children and Orrin as much as her own son. Orrin was very kind and considerate of my wonderful mother at all times. Mother was born in a little hamlet, Michael Church, Herefordshire, England Later after the death of Will Pearson in California, June 14, 1940 my sister Mina came to Menan to my home to live with us for a while. She lived with us for ten months, then built her a small house in Menan on mother’s property. Warden Jones did the carpentry work. Orrin and Larry hauled the materials from the lumberyard and assisted Warden with the building. Mina paid for this with insurance money left her by her husband. Also each month gave mea small amount of money for her room and board, which was from her insurance. Later she was burned in her home so badly she just lived 16 hours in the LDS Hospital in Idaho Falls. Again the insurance took care of hospital and burial. These are some of the sorrows one never forgets, but seldom talks about. But how grateful we all were that we were always kind to her in all her sorrow. My sister Lizzie often came to visit after the death of her husband, sometimes staying a couple of weeks. And as I look back on those years, I remember many happy talks of our home life together with our very wonderful mother who was always so good to us and kind to everyone in sickness and sorrow.

Notes about Violet Clifford by her mother Grace Eames Stephens

Contributor: Anne Ryan Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Violet S Clifford was born in Menan, Idaho at our home here on the ranch, Nov 20, 1919. She is a good natured little girl and easy to get along with people. Had black eyes and brown hair. Went to grade school in Menan, graduated from grade schoole 1933, gave the valedictory address at the exercises in 8 grade. Entered Midway, H School fall of 1933. Started taking piano lessons from Mrs Bell of Calif., played in a program in the church. She was about eight at the time, wore a red silk dress. After starting to Midway still took piano lessons and took part in all activities at school. Played over the wards several times when acompaning boys who sang to farmers. Had Scarlet Fever Thanksgiving the third year of H.S., came home ill from Helens Funeral 1935. After graduating from Midway with honors and recieved a meadel for her musical activity. Entered the A C C at Logan, Utah Monday Sept 27, 1937. Came home from Logan for her vacation that summer.. Goes back to school at Logan Sept 1938. She got a job as secretary to Mr. Rich Gerculter teacher at the university. After graduating from the UCC at Logan in June 1941, Violet stayed at Logan worked at the school until Dec 6, 1941, then started a new job at Logan in the UCA office. In a while she goes to Los Angeles to work for the U. S. Government. Later is transfered to San Diego, Cal. where she works in the customs office a while. Then is advanced to Assistant Personel at Custom office, workes there 6 years where she meets Mac her husband. She and Mac were married Aug 11, 1950 in the Church by the Sea at Corona Del Mar, Calif. They come home on their honeymoon. We go to the Yellowstone Park where Violet and Mac go on there way continue their honeymoon to Clearwater, Florida. Later teaches in Columbia, Missouri, after awhile they return to San Diego for several years. Mac is in the Navy. Then Mac enters the service and goes to war and recieves honors for several men rescued from the sea under fire with helecopter and Violet has a baby boy born July 6, 1953 name Brinton Jeffery Eugene. AFfer Mac returns to the States they move to Monterey, CAl where they stay from a while, Maurine visits them here. Then they move to Pensicola, Florida where Mac is at the Naval academy. In June 7, 1955 a baby girl is born there. Viloet's husband name is Birton Eugene McMullen. Mac is just a nick name. Mac is transfered to Memphis, Tenn. for ten months then they will be a Key West for two years. Mac is now a Lt . Commander. June 2, 1956 Violet and two children Jeffery and Pamela visit us here at Menan in our home for three pleasant weeks. Then they fly home to join Mac at Tennesee. Violet and Mac family live in Key West, Florida. They bought some land and had a home build for them in 1956.

Life timeline of Mary Maurine Clifford

Mary Maurine Clifford was born on 3 Apr 1909
Mary Maurine Clifford was 5 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 19 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 22 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 36 years old when World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 47 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 55 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 68 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Mary Maurine Clifford was 72 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Mary Maurine Clifford died on 9 Aug 1992 at the age of 83
Grave record for Mary Maurine Clifford (3 Apr 1909 - 9 Aug 1992), BillionGraves Record 305348 Rigby, Jefferson, Idaho, United States