Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards)

26 Mar 1876 - 27 Apr 1968


Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards)

26 Mar 1876 - 27 Apr 1968
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) (26 Mar 1876 - 27 Apr 1968) at Riverside Thomas Cemetery in Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards)


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


May 30, 2012


May 28, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Margaret Ann...

We found more records about Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards).


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Margaret Ann


Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary of Elizabeth Waddoups Wood, "Find a Grave Memorial"

Contributor: michelle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Birth: Jun. 28, 1853 Walsgrave on Sowe Warwickshire, England Death: Feb. 28, 1895 Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Vol. IV, S to Z; Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Page 3432-3433 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD BIRTHDATE: 28 Jun 1853; Walsgrave on Sowe, England DEATH: 28 Feb 1895; Auburn, Lincoln Co., Wyoming PARENTS: Thomas Waddoups; Elizabeth Porter PIONEER: 1868; Horton Haight Wagon Train SPOUSE: Daniel C. Wood MARRIED: 8 Feb 1869; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah DEATH SP: 19 Jun 1934; Thomas, Bingham Co., Idaho CHILDREN: Daniel Thomas, 8 Oct 1870 Joseph Waddoups, 4 Oct 1875 William Waddoups, 29 Oct 1876 Franklin Daniel, 14 Apr 1879 Parley Pratt, 20 Aug 1881 died? Elizabeth May, 27 May 1883 Sylvia Irene, 29 Sep 1885 Victoria Evelyn, 24 Oct 1887 Clarence Ray, 11 Jun 1890 (died as a child) Florence Elva, 26 Dec 1891 Child, 28 Feb 1895 buried with Mom Elizabeth was born on June 28, 1853, in Sowe, England. She was the youngest girl and the seventh child of nine. Six boys and three girls. Three boys died as small children while still in England. While in England, Elizabeth's mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, soon after, all the family was baptized. The family soon began making arrangements to come to Utah. She came first with a brother Thomas Waddoups and a sister, Mary Waddoups, then they were to send money home so the rest of the family could join them. The accounts of the scribes during the trek west tell of many hardships and successes that were experienced by all the pioneers. There are several items in the journals of Daniel Cotton Wood, who later became her husband, as to the journey and struggles of his assignment as a young man of nineteen, having been sent to help families coming to Utah. When she, Mary Ann and Thomas first got to the valley they stayed in Centerville with family and friends from England who had come earlier. Her father, mother and the rest of the children would come as soon as money was available. At sixteen years of age she married Daniel Cotton Wood age twenty-two, on June 8, 1869 in the Salt Lake Endowment House. Daniel was the son of Daniel Wood and Peninah Shropshire Cotton of Woods Cross, Utah. They had met on the trek west then shortly after he had been called on a mission to the Arizona and Mexican border. Daniel and Elizabeth made their first home in a house built of rock, which stood just east of Woods Cross, Utah, on the Joseph Wood Farm owned by Andrew Anderson. Later they sold out to Cyril Call and bought the Burnham 155 acre farm then later sold to Mr. Baskin. It is now called the Baskin Ranch. During these years in Woods Cross, six children were born to them. Five boys and one girl. Parley died as an infant just two years before Elizabeth May was born. Life was busy with all the care of a small family, and workers to feed, clothing to make, and training of a growing family. She was a very good teacher and kept very active working with the children. Her husband Daniel was the leader of the Wood Family Band that played all over the valley for weddings, dances, and celebrations of all kinds, during the thirteen years they lived there. Histories record many enjoyable times were shared by all those in the area because of the Wood Orchestra and the Wood Choir which was made up of the Wood sons' wives and families. The Wood School House was a place of learning for all the family as well as the community around them. It is recorded the families were taught by Charles Pearson who was paid with an exchange of work hours, or goods for the salary of the teacher and school expenses. Around 1884 they broke up the band even more when they moved to Rockland, Oneida, Idaho where his brother Heber Cotton Wood and his family had already moved. It took many hands working long hours to build the irrigation systems, and planting and harvesting crops. Long hard hours of teamwork were needed for a good harvest. Farming was good there. They were active in the area schools and church activities. Both Daniel c. and Heber C. were very good with the Indians because of the training they received from their mother who was part Cherokee and were able to help establish peace in the area with the Indians and farmers. They stayed there a short time, but were never totally pleased with the area, so they willingly took an opportunity to settle the Star Valley, Wyoming area. This beautiful valley seemed to be heaven in the summer and a fairyland as the leaves turning to gold settled on the valley floor. Becoming too soon packed in a crisp heavy cold blanket of snow during their long winters. That made summer preparations for the long winters vital. Elizabeth taught their family well to store food and weave cloth to sew the clothing needs of the family. Each member of the family realized his responsibility. This proved an asset as her husband was called to a British Mission in early February of 1893 just a few years after arriving in Auburn, Wyoming. She was left with a growing family of nine children ages twenty-two to a five month old little girl named Florence Elva who had been taught to be very self sufficient. Little Clarence Ray, age three, died shortly before his father returned from England. His death was very difficult for Elizabeth and all the family. The promise of life eternal knowing she would see little Clarence Ray and Parley Pratt Wood again made life easier. Early in spring 1894 the family welcomed Daniel home and were truly happy in their little valley home. They enjoyed their family and had such fun together. She had always been very active in teaching. Her church callings were many in Primary, Sunday School and Relief Society. She kept especially busy in things that interested her family. Elizabeth taught her family to love life by her example. She taught them to love and respect others and that animals were also to be treated with kindness and respect. She was a very kind gracious, warm hostess who always had something to feed a stranger and a clean warm bed to sleep in. Her mother had been a Midwife so she learned many skills of health that were taught to her family. Being a wife of a man who loved to colonize had its blessings and challenges. But Elizabeth met them side by side with her husband. She was very faithful and followed the feelings of the spirit of each and every situation. Elizabeth died at the birth of their eleventh child the 28th of February, 1895, and is buried with their child in the Auburn Cemetery, Star Valley, Wyoming. Her unexpected death was very difficult for her husband and their children. Her family was then raised by (Aunt Maggie) Margaret Edwards, the second wife, a wonderful young English convert who Daniel C. had met in England. She came to Wyoming to help with the very difficult task of raising his family. They later left Star Valley moving to Blackfoot, Idaho where their three children were born: Milton, Mary Edna and Andrew. Obituary contributed by Marla Webb OBITUARY NOTES From Deseret Weekly, Volume 50 contents # 448 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD. Mrs. Elizabeth Waddoups Wood was born June 28, 1853, at Sowe, Warwickshire, England; was baptized March 3, 1860, and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints March 5, 1865; emigrated to Utah with her parents in the year 1868; located at Bountiful, Davis County, Utah. She was married to Daniel C. Wood on Feb. 8, 1869, at the Endowment House, Salt Lake City. Moved from Bountiful to Rockland, Oneida County, Idaho, in company with her family in Jan, I883, and from there to Star Valley, Wyo., in 1809. On Feb. 24, 1895 she gave birth to a girl, which died, and on Feb. 28, 1895, she passed away from this stage of action to a land of rest, as promised to the faithful; for she was faithful and was a pure-hearted wife and mother; she was always happy and cheerful. She leaves a husband, four sons and four daughters to mourn her loss. She has buried two boys and one girl. The funeral services of Sister Wood were held at Auburn, March 2, 1895, presided over by Bishop Hemon Hyde. Elder A. V. Call was the first speaker. He had been acquainted with the departed sister perhaps longer than any one present except her father and brother; too much could not be said in her praise and eulogy. She was a true Saint. We believe as a people in the resurrection. Our sister has but passed to another sphere to there continue her labors. He prayed that the Lord would bless the bereaved family and comfort and cheer them for life's struggle. Elder W. W. Burton was the next speaker, and also offered words of consolation and instruction. Bishop J. C. Dewey then addressed the meeting in a similar strain, citing the last words of Sister Wood, "Father, Thy will be done." Elder Thomas Waddoups, of Bountiful, brother of the departed sister, also addressed the meeting, acknowledging the hand of the Lord in His providences. Elder George Osmond, president of the Stake, read from the Book of Mormon (Alma, 40th chapter) of death and of the resurrection of the body of men. He referred to the many virtues of the deceased, and said he knew she died the death of the righteous. He urged those present to emulate her example of faithfulness and awaken to their duties. Bishop Hemon Hyde endorsed the remarks of the previous speaker. He said Sister Wood was indeed a good counselor—a mother to old and young. The services were then brought to a close.— Family links: Parents: Thomas Waddoups (1816 - 1900) Elizabeth Porter Waddoups (1816 - 1884) Spouse: Daniel Cotton Wood (1847 - 1934) Children: Daniel Thomas Wood (1870 - 1959)* Infant Daughter Wood (1872 - 1872)* Joseph Waddoups Wood (1875 - 1959)* William Waddoups Wood (1876 - 1917)* Franklin Daniel Wood (1879 - 1968)* Parley Pratt Wood (1881 - 1893)* Elizabeth May Wood Parrish (1883 - 1939)* Sylvia Irene Wood Hansen (1885 - 1976)* Victoria Evelyn Wood Hodson (1887 - 1963)* Clarence Ray Wood (1890 - 1893)* Florence Elva Wood Sorenson (1891 - 1960)* Baby Wood (1895 - 1895)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Auburn Cemetery Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Created by: Renae Burgess Linn Record added: Dec 30, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 4615553


Contributor: michelle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Margaret Ann Edwards was born March 26, 1876, at Brindle Heath, Pendleton, England, the daughter of Ellis Edwards and Mary Roberts, though a native of Wales. Margaret Ann was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints May 3, 1884, at Moorside by Samuel H. Allen and confirmed May 4, 1884 by the same Elder. Her father had joined the church when his mother had died and he had gone as a child to live with his Uncle Ellis Edwards, a convert and staunch church member. She became acquainted with Daniel C. Wood, a missionary from the United States at a conference in England. After his return home and the death of his wife Elizabeth, Daniel sent for Margaret Ann to come to America and be his wife. She left England September 18, 1895, arriving in Glasgow at 7:45 where she boarded ship on September 19, 1895. They sailed 21 miles down the Clyde River and anchored until the next morning. At five o’clock the morning of September 20 the ship sailed for America, the land of promise and opportunity. After sailing 11 days the ship landed in New York, October 1, 1895 cleared the customs and was ready to start for Montpelier, Idaho. She was met here by Daniel C., and went on to Auburn, Wyoming to meet the family. A very memorable incident occurred at Wyoming when a troop of soldiers passed the company and reported that the settlers were having troubles with the Indians. They were all living in the churches until the soldiers could quiet them. It only required this bit of realism to make all our worst fears come to life, but when they arrived home all was well. They were married at Logan, Utah Temple October 30, 1895, by M.W. Merrell. It was not easy for the nineteen-year-old English bride who had spent her youth working in the mills of England. The family consisted of seven children, 2 boys, and 4 girls, ranging in age from 3 to 19. The two older boys, Joseph and Daniel T. married and remained in Auburn and Soda Springs while Daniel C. and Margaret Ann came to Blackfoot, Idaho to make their home. They settled on 50 acre farm in Thomas soon after the ward was organized and began life together working in a new area. Margaret had a very difficult task ahead, to begin housekeeping with a family the same age as she was—William age 19, Frank age 16, Elizabeth 13, Sylvia 9, Victoria 8, and Elva 3, who still mourned the passing of their mother and resented a little their stepmother’s presence. However, time is a wonderful healer and through the years of hard work, sprinkled with tears, the family grew to love each other. Daniel and the boys worked building the new rock church and as a family unit helped build the Thomas community. Every Sunday morning the family buggy was seen heading for the church. The first baby, Milton Edwards, arrived August 30, 1897 and was blessed by father Daniel. Mary Edna followed in November 11, 1898, and their third child Andrew Edwards was born November 13, 1900. William was married to Henrietta Merrell in 1901, and Frank married Martha in 1906. Elva married John Sorenson and moved to Wyoming to make their home. Elizabeth met and married George Parrish and settled in Blackfoot. Sylvia married Peter C. Hansen and moved to Jackson, Wyoming. Victoria married Al Hodson, January 26, 1909, and located on a farm just north of Blackfoot. As her own children grew Margaret began to take part in church activities, serving as Primary teacher, Sunday School teacher, Relief Society Secretary and Visiting Teacher. The children grew up and received their schooling as well as church training. For many years life went on as usual. Then their children began to marry and start life anew. Milton met Vera Goodwin and they were married April 14, 1919 in Blackfoot by Judge Good. Andrew was married next to Roetta Van Orden, a resident of Thomas. The last of the children was daughter Edna who married Harold Hawkes. A few years later Daniel became ill with cancer and suffered much before he passed away in the family home, June 9, 1934, at the age of 87. At the death of his father Milton purchased the farm and Margaret built a small log home on the corner of the land. Here she could watch and enjoy the growth of her grandchildren who visited her from time to time. Of late years she has rented a furnished modern apartment in Blackfoot for the winter months, but likes to return to her garden and flowers each spring, where she can still feel the hum and stir of the community she has known as well. Typed from typed original by Norma Jean M. Wood 19 November, 1999

Margaret Ann Edwards

Contributor: michelle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Margaret Ann Edwards went to church a branch of the church in Tynsley England. They held Sunday school in the upstairs of the Pendelbury home. Her early life she never went barefoot, never skated on ice, never danced, never played as she had to help tend younger brothers and sister. Walked to church at Manchester Conference, to the market. Sometimes they went on a train or a street car or tram, no cars in those days. Met D C Wood at the Manchester Conference. She said they worshiped the Elders from america. It was a privilege to polish their shoes. Went to school, passed every grade at age 10 she went to school for 1/2 day and worked at the cotton mill for half a day at the mill. They made white cotton material. She learned to be a weaver at age 13. She quit school and went to work full time. They went to work at 6:00 am and worked until 8:00 AM and then had 1/2 hour for breakfast then worked 8:30 to 12:00, got off for 1/2 hour for lunch and then worked from 12:30 to 5:30 PM. There were no laws at that time governing the age of workers. She worked til coming to America. They gave her a recommendation when she quit, telling her she could come back any time. She could operate three different looms when she quit. After returning home from his mission, his wife died in childbirth and the baby was stillborn. Two sons were away from home working that left six children at home. Daniel was desperate as a mother and father. At the time there was a shortage of women in the new land. It was not uncommon for men to send to the old countries for girls to come to America. Daniel sent for Margaret to come to America and be his wife. She made ready and came with some Elders who were returning home from their missions. As soon as she got to America, she was homesick. Arrived in New York, New York on the ship Anchoria. Took the train. Daniel met her in Montpelier to Logan Temple to be married 30 October 1895. They made their home in Auburn but moved to Riverside, Idaho where their son Milton was born 30 August 1897, daughter Edna was born 11 November 1898 near Pingree. Son Andrew born 13 November 1900. They bought some land Thomas Bing Rd (?) (a mile south of Wilson school). They had to clear sage brush off the land. It was so tall, it had to be cut and then dig it out by hand. Margaret helped do this. To plow, plant, make canals, and ditches were done with horses. Margaret had a lot of faith. She served as a counselor to sister Coleman who was RS President. Also as a counselor to Sister Mary Williams who was Primary President. She taught in sunday school with Millie Henefor for many years. They taught the youngest children. Her oldest granddaughter Adrienne was one of the children. They met in the basement in the furnace room where it was nice and warm with little benches and chairs. She had a strong testimony of tithing. She received a small check each month she would go to the little grocery store and cash it, take her tithing out and place it in the drawer waiting for her home teachers to come. She was 92 on 26 Mar 1968. She died on the 27 Mar 1968.

Life timeline of Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards)

Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was born on 26 Mar 1876
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 7 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 20 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 30 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 38 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 53 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 63 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 69 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) was 80 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) died on 27 Apr 1968 at the age of 92
Grave record for Margaret Ann Wood (Edwards) (26 Mar 1876 - 27 Apr 1968), BillionGraves Record 1278607 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States