Manomas Lovina Andrus

10 Mar 1842 - 31 May 1940

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Manomas Lovina Andrus

10 Mar 1842 - 31 May 1940
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 6, p. 433 James Andrus was born June 14, 1835, at Florence, Huron County, Ohio, and died December 8, 1914, at St. George, Washington County, Utah. He crossed the plains at 14 years of age, and from then on he took the part of a man or 'grown-up,' as his
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Manomas Lovina Andrus
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Manomas Lovina Andrus


Saint George City Cemetery

2-98 S 700 E
St George, Washington, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

William son of James & Laura Andrus
Laura and Manomas Lovina both wifes of James Andrus


November 20, 2012


May 7, 2021


June 9, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Manomas Lovina...

We found more records about Manomas Lovina Andrus.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Manomas Lovina


Manomas Lovina Andrus is buried in the Saint George City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Heart Throbs of the West - A History of James Andrus

Contributor: smithc Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol. 6, p. 433 James Andrus was born June 14, 1835, at Florence, Huron County, Ohio, and died December 8, 1914, at St. George, Washington County, Utah. He crossed the plains at 14 years of age, and from then on he took the part of a man or "grown-up," as his father was called on a mission to England, leaving James in charge of getting his mother with her family to the Rocky Mountains. He wrote: "We have all of our possessions for the family of six in one small wagon, and I took my part, although but a child, in all the guards of both camp and cattle." This was in 1848. He spent the winter of 1855-56 as a trader among the Flathead Indians in Washington Territory. Soon after his marriage to Laura Altha Gibson in March, 1857, he was called on a mission to England, but was released from his mission in 1858 due to the coming to Utah of Johnston's army. In 1861 he was married to Manomas Lovina Gibson, and soon after the family came to Southern Utah with the Dixie Pioneers, settling in Grafton, Washington County, with others. In 1862 the Indians destroyed stations between Fort Bridger and North Platte, burned coaches, mail bags, killed the drivers and ran off with the stock. Because of this the Adjutant General in Washington, D. C., made a call from President Brigham Young for a company of cavalry to protect the mail routes and James Andrus was called under Captain Lot Smith. In 1863 when the call came for volunteers from Utah's sunny Dixie for drivers of teams to bring the emigrants across the plains, he went as assistant to Captain Daniel D. McArthur and successfully brought a large company to Utah. The following year he made a similar trip east after merchandise, traveling with a mule team. In January of 1866, word came that James M. Whitmore and Robert McIntyre had been killed by the Piute and Navajo Indians in Pipe Valley, southeast of Pipe Springs, in Arizona. He, with others, responded to the call made to form an expedition to go and recover the bodies. He says that they were armed and mounted, that was indispensable, but there were no shelter tents. The equipment was primitive and inadequate, the provisions scanty. Some were mounted on mules, without saddles, some without even a coat. Their quilts served as saddles, cloak and bed, and in their shirt sleeves they did a soldier's fully duty on the trying campaign. The expedition was made up with Col. D. D. McArthur, Major J. D. L. Pearce, Lieut. Col. Angus M. Cannon, Captain James Andrus, Captain David H. Cannon, Captain Samuel Cunningham, and eighty-seven volunteers. They were gone from January 10 to February 9—31 days. The weather was exceedingly cold. Snow had fallen and on the high plateau at Pipe Springs it was three feet deep, with mercury below zero. When Pipe Springs was reached, no trace could be found of either the ranchers or Indians. Tracks which ordinarily guide the scouts were obliterated by the heavy fall of snow. Finally, after several days of scouting, James Andrus found two Indians, an elderly man and a boy, dressing a beef which they had killed, and brought them to camp. They refused to talk until the following morning, when they admitted that Whitmore and McIntyre had been shot by Navajo and Piute Indians, and offered to conduct them to the place where the bodies were, and to the camp of the hostiles. Divided into two companies, one with Colonel McArthur and the other with Captain James Andrus, the old Indian going with McArthur, and the boy with Andrus. The route taken by Colonel McArthur was east of Pipe Springs, while that of Captain Andrus led in a southeasterly direction to the vicinity of the Kanab Gulch. Captain Andrus encountered the hostiles in their camp and nine Indians were killed. While the searchers rode over the plain, searching for the murdered men, a horse's hoof brushed away the snow, exposing the hand of a man. It was the body of J. W. Whitmore. The Indian boy asked whether "It was the man with a beard, or the one without." "The one with the beard," was the answer. The boy walked some distance and, pointing, said, "The other is there." The snow was removed and the body of McIntyre found as stated. Each man had been shot with both bullets and arrows. The bodies were packed in snow and taken to St. George, where Samuel L. Adams and Charles L. Walker prepared their bodies for burial. S. L. Adams recovered 14 arrows from Whitmore's body and seven from McIntyre's. The arrows were sent to Salt Lake Museum. After the bodies had been prepared for burial, very impressive funeral services were held. At this time a large number of horses and sheep were driven off by the Navajos and the personal effects retained by the Piutes. It was he first depredation in the Dixie country in which white men lost their lives, but they were not the last victims of the long war waged by the Navajos and Piutes against the white settlers of Southern Utah. On February 14, 1866, Mr. Andrus received Special Orders from the Headquarters Washington Military District N. L. as follows: Captain James Andrus: Sir: You are hereby ordered to call 30 men from your command, armed and equipped as the law directs, and proceed forthwith in pursuit of the Indians who have committed the late depredations in the neighborhood of Kane, who are supposed to be in the vicinity of Pahreah Creek. You must be vigilant and ascertain by reconnoitering their probable strength and if they are too numerous for your small force to punish, you will endeavor to cut off their retreat by way of the Colorado and express to Major Maxwell for the additional force necessary. You will also furnish Peter Shirtz and family a suitable force necessary to convey them to the nearest settlement and keep us regularly informed in relation to your discoveries and acts. D. D. McArthur, Col. Commanding. The company was mustered on February 2, 1866, and served until March 12, 1866, serving twenty days. William D. Clark was badly wounded in the foot and three Indians were killed during the campaign. At another time a company was mustered out at Grafton, Washington County, Utah, when Joseph and Robert Berry and Robert Berry's wife were killed by Indians about four miles south of Short Creek. These people were in a covered wagon, returning from Salt Lake City, where they had been to get supplies. They were pursued by the Indians and in trying to get away had thrown most of their provisions out of the wagon. When their bodies were found, each had several arrows in it. Their faithful dog was still guarding the bodies. During one expedition, while trying to cut off the retreat of the Navajos toward their own country, night found a company camped on the Cedar Ridge about eight miles west from Pipe Springs, with Ammon M. Tenney standing the last guard. About 4 o'clock A.M., Tenney saw away off across the plains, near Bull Rush, on the west side of Kanab Gulch, a light which he thought was a fire. He awoke the corporal of the guard, and after consultation they called Captain James Andrus. The latter unbesitatingly declared that the light was reflected from a fire, and that there were Indians there. "I can smell them," he declared. Orders were immediately issued and the men were soon mounted and moving noiselessly toward the light which shone in the darkness, several miles away. A convenient wash, or gully, made it possible for the militia to approach to within one hundred and fifty yards of the unsuspecting Navajos, who were busily occupied with their breakfast of broiled beef. Dismounting his men, Captain Andrus, to whom the direct command had been entrusted, left a detail to hold the horses, and with the remainder of his forces, attacked the camp. At the first fire the Navajos scattered, but as the commands of their chief rang out they came together and faced their assailants, notwithstanding the great odds arrayed against them. Slowly they retreated to the top of a neighboring ridge, where they made a stand, returning shot for shot. Captain Andrus now ordered his men to remount and take the position which the Indians were holding by assault. Charging straight up the bluff, the captain rode, leading his men. As he rushed up the slope toward the rocks above, Ammon Tenney, who was at a different angle, saw an Indian on the crest of the ridge, one knee on the ground, his bow bent to the arrowhead, waiting for the captain to appear. Frantically Tenney shouted, "Look out, captain, that Indian will kill you." Instantly Captain Andrus reined his horse, a high-spirited one, which threw up its head and received the arrow intended for the rider in its forehead. The arrow was so deeply imbedded in the skull of the horse that it could not be removed until the settlements were reached, when it was extricated with a pair of blacksmith's shoeing pincers. The battle was soon over. The Indians were either killed or scattered, and when Captain Andrus called his men together, none were missing, notwithstanding the stubborn resistance of the enemy and many hairbreadth escapes. In the summer of 1866 Captain Andrus was called with a company of men to learn if there were any crossings of the Colorado used by Indians in the stretch of country from the Buckskin Mountains to the junction of the Green and Grand Rivers. The company was mustered into service August 16, 1866. On August 18, the company set out on their long and adventurous expedition after the Indians. On this expedition, one of their company was killed—Elijah Everett, Jr. Chief Walker visited Captain Andrus at his home after the Treaty of Peace and they became good friends. He told Captain Andrus that they had tried more than one time to kill him, realizing he was the most successful one in defeating their purposes.— (A. B. Andrus.)

Gibson, Manomas Lavina

Contributor: smithc Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

History of Monomas Lavina Gibson ! The following pioneer personal history interview with Manomas Lavina Gibson Andrus, wife of Captain James Andrus, was held at the home of Mrs. Andrus in the presence of her granddaughter, Mrs. Caddie Andrus Graff, and Mabel Jarvis, the interviewer, in behalf of the Utah Historic Records Survey of Washington County, Utah, in 1936. Whenever the pioneer is quoted the writer has made an effort to quote the exact wording given. All supplementary material used was assembled from a previous interview with the writer and from a sketch prepared by Manomas's daughter, Mrs. Vilate Andrus Wadsworth, on the request of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. ! When I called on Manomas Lavina Gibson Andrus, "Aunt Nome" to most of us Dixie folk, she was busily washing the breakfast dishes, and gave little evidence of her ninety-four years, or of her total blindness, from which incapacity she has suffered since 1922. She resides with her granddaughter, Mrs. Caddie Andrus Graff and family; rather, they live with her in the home built for her by her late husband in the early nineteen hundreds and with which she became familiar before being deprived of her sight. This home is located on First South Street, midway between First and Second West, and is just a block west of the public square on which are located the Woodward School, County Library, St. George Stake Tabernacle, 10 Dixie College gymnasium and General Building and the recently erected Amusement Hall and open-air pavillion. ! "Aunt Nome" is a very small woman, and she is growing just a trifle frail. Her voice is not as vibrant as it once was, but her mind is clear and her hearing remarkably keen. Having previously obtained enough items from her life history for a local newspaper writeup, going over her remembrance again in somewhat greater detail was a genuine pleasure for me and seemingly for her. We spent a most affable two hours. ! Manomas Lavina Gibson was born in Monroe County, Mississippi, March 10, 1842, the daughter of George Washington and Mary Ann Sparks Gibson, she being the tenth of eleven children. She has no record of the actual town in which she was born, knowing only the county and state. As she recalls, they were in a farming district apart from actual towns. ! Manomas was only four years of age when her parents and other family members became converts of the Latter-day Saints (Mormon) Church and commenced the long journey across the Great Plains to Utah. There were seventeen persons in the group from Mississippi, who joined the Pioneers at Ft. Laramie, in June of 1847. They had wintered at Pueblo, along with many others who later joined Captain Brown's detachment of the Mormon Batallion and came on to Ft. Laramie with them, arriving June 16th, the first seventeen having arrived on the 1st. The entire group pushed forward on the 17th, hoping to overtake the main caravan before it reached Utah. These facts are recorded in the Utah Chronology. The Gibsons were with this company of seventeen who wintered at Pueblo, which was then only a small trading post with a few log buildings. There were only a few other women than those of the Gibson party in the settlement that winter. Mr. Gibson had contracted Mountain Fever (Thphoid) which was their reason for this delay along the route. ! Though not yet five years of age, "Aunt Nome" recounts clearly the incidents of that long cold winter. One event stands out prominently in her mind. There were assembled at Pueblo, along with the few Mormon Pioneers, quite a number of traders and trappers who did a good bit of drinking and gambling. One night some of these men were gambling in a building next to the cabin occupied by the Gibsons. An argument arose over the card game, and the Gibson children were terrified at the thought of what was going on so near them, as they could hear every word of the snarling, swearing men. Suddenly there were shots. One man was killed. Keen in her mind today is the memory of that awful night, the loud shouting of the men and their gunfire as they pursued the murderer, who was later apprehended, shot to death and brought to camp for burial. Father Gibson, being a carpenter, fashioned a coffin from rough logs in which the murderer was buried. Much suffering was endured during that long winter and such anguish lest something should happen and they might not get to the Valley. ! With the coming of spring they resumed their journey to Utah, continuing with the sick detachment from the Mormon Batallion under Captain Brown, and arriving in Salt Lake Valley July 29th, 1847, five days after the main caravan of pioneers. There was almost a celebration over their safe arrival, as there had been great anxiety concerning them. ! The Gibsons remained in Salt Lake during the summer and winter of 1847, and Manomas remembers taking a hand with her brothers and sisters and the others in the war waged on the crickets. The children were given small wooden mallets and did all they could to help exterminate the insects. Then came the great flocks of gulls. She shuddered as she recounted the way the gulls gorged on the crickets till they could hold no more, than disgourged themselves and took on a fresh feeding until finally the cricket horde were destroyed. ! The family moved to Big Cottonwood in the spring of 1848, where they erected, first, just a shelter of willows, and her father did some farming. They brought some tools with them when they came across the plains, a heavy axe, a sort of spade shovel, and her father had a few carpenter tools. Soon they had a log house, or cabin, in Cottonwood, but just a very small place and plenty crowded, even though their possessions were very meager. ! They had only Johnny cake most of the time for the family, but her father secured a little flour for her invalid mother. They did have a pretty plenty of meat most of the time, as her father was handy at killing the wild rabbits and pine hens, and there were lots of fish in the stream not far from their home. They also dug sego roots, cooking the bulbs much the same as potatoes. And they soon raised their own potatoes and such small vegetable as are found commonly in gardens--benas, pease, carrots, cabbage, beets and turnips. They made some molasses from beets, as well as from cane, and this syrup was the chief sweetener for all purposes. ! She laughed a little as she described the lighting systems of those first years in Utah. "Often all we had was the pine log in the fireplace. And before we got to making candles, we use the tallow dip. For this we would use one of mother's heavy saucers, which was deep enough to hold a good cup of the melted tallow. Then we would select a heavy button around which we fastened a piece or scrap of course cloth. This was tied over the button, then the ends were stripped and braided. Such a lamp would give us a fairly good light for two or three evenings. Candles, when we could get them, were better, but it was a long time before we had any lamps." ! Manomas was baptized into the Church in Big Cottonwood Creek, in 1850, when she was eight years of age. ! When Manomas was fifteen years of age she went to work in the home of Levi Stewart, who had three families for whom she did the general housework, most of the cooking, and all of the washing. For this she received a wage of $1.50 per week, mostly in store-pay. With this money she purchased her first dainty piece of calico print at 25 cents per yard, and made it up during odd minutes and after work. She remained at Stewart's until her mother's illness made it necessary for her to return home. Later she worked at the Beehive House for Zina D. Young. ! Due to her mother being ill most of the time after she was of school age, this pioneer girl had little opportunity for an education. She did attend a few weeks of school in Big Cottonwood, and was able to complete the Third Reader before being compelled to discontinue school. ! When Manomas was fifteen years of age, her father brought home a second wife, just a young girl her own age. From time to time there was considerable trouble between this young wife and the Gibson children. Because of this experience, Manomas vowed she would never marry in the order of polygamy then practiced by the Church. Her father was very pious and strict in his demands of no labor on the Sabbath, and it seemed to be Manomas' misfortune to be reported for extra floor scrubbing or cooking now and then on the Sabbath. And when father Gibson punished, he never slighted the job in the least. The wounds thus made in the heart of this girl were slow to heal, though she thinks now of ways that she might have avoided much of the trouble then endured. ! In 1851, the Gibsons came to the Dixie Mission, settling at first in what is now the town of Grafton. Her sister, Laura, had married James Andrus, and after a time she came to live with them in St. George. After some time, James asked her to become his plural wife. She did not consent at once, although she did not "spit in his face" as she had vowed she would do should any man ask her to enter polygamy. In 1862, James was called to go back to the Platt River and escort a company of emigrants to Utah. Manomas went to Salt Lake with her sister Laura in time to meet the men on their return, and while there the marriage to her sister's husband was consumated in the Old Endowment House--a step in life she has never felt to regret, although for many years it meant partial isolation from community life and plenty of hard work. She said, "James never showed any partiality. If he bought a spool of thread for one, he did for the other too." ! The first five years of her married life were spent at Duncan, which was an important location for her husband who ran his cattle and horses between there and Canaan. He was also appointed as a Captain in helping to quell the Indians who were giving a good bit of trouble during the early sixties. ! In 1864, her son George Judson was born, and in March of 1866, she bore a daughter whom they named Medora. ! In September of that year the Bishop requested the people in the nearby settlements to congregate at Grafton for greater protection. Captain Andrus had been sent to Salt Lake City for supplies and ammunition, but before going had arranged for his wife and children to be moved into a place he had secured for them. But when the hired man got them to Grafton, the house they had expected to have was already occupied, and scarlet fever was prevalent. The only place available was an open cow shed in which her possessions were assembled in the best order possible. Not having been used for some time, this shed at least afforded a shelter; and as her two children were ill with the fever, she was grateful for that much. While here, her two children continued to grow worse, finally dying, one six weeks after the other. ! The succeeding two or three years were spent in St. George, where two more children were born, Edwin in 1868, who died when a month old, and Moses in 1870. These first four children were born under great hardships and suffering. Each time she was confined in a bed made on the floor, and after the fourth day she felt obliged to be up and at the housework again. ! In the spring of 1872, Manomas moved to Canaan, where the next eleven years of her life were spent caring for her family and cooking for the men who were assisting her husband in caring for his droves of horses and herds of cattle. For the first few years, her house was a wagon box, and over a fire in the open she did the cooking for the fifteen hired men, her husband (when he was home), and herself, and children. Finally, a rock house was built for her. ! While she was living in the wagon box, and was alone at camp except for a sixteen year old boy and her son, Moses, who was only eighteen months old, a frightening experience occured. One evening, just at sundown, eighty Indians came riding up to the ranch, all in their war paint, and camped down in a clump of trees close to her wagon box. The only thing she could do was to kill them a beef, so she and this young boy proceeded to do so before it became too dark to see. They gave the Indians the beef and a sack of flour. She didn't sleep that night or undress herself or her child, shaking for fear that they would be killed. ! Next morning as she was straining the milk she looked up and found her child gone. She frantically searched for him and found him sitting in the middle of the Indian camp. She walked out, picked up the baby and brought him back to the wagon. The Indians went away without harming them. ! Just as her new rock home was completed, except for doors and windows, her husband was called by President Erastus Snow to set out with as many men as he could muster to pursue a band of Indians who had been molesting the various settlements of southern Utah. Leaving two men with his wife at the ranch, Captain Andrus took the other thirteen with him and started in pursuit. They were absent three weeks during which time the little family at the ranch remained right in the rock house with windows and doors rocked up, afraid to venture out, or to light a candle at night, lest the natives, finding they were unprotected, would attack. ! During their life at Canaan, her husband traded a horse for a husky four year old Indian boy. He was so utterly dirty and unkempt, that Mother Andrus sickened at the thought of having to clean him up that first time. Seeing how she felt, her sister's daughter, Laura, told her not to worry, she would take care of him. Then with her soap, towels and tub, this young girl disappeared into the corn patch a few yards from the house, returning for a pail of warm water and the wailing child. It required two or three returns to the house for more warm water before she was satisfied with her job, but how different he looked when she finally brought him back to the ranch house scrubbed to the point of shining and decked out in clothing. It was weeks before the little fellow ceased moaning for his own people, and he almost grew ill before he would accept food and make friends. But when he once yielded, they got along nicely. He grew up to be an excellent help at the ranch and was a grown young man when his relatives coaxed him to return to their circle. Seeing he wanted to go, Captain Andrus gave him an excellent horse and saddle, and released him with kindness and the best of feelings. ! She lived in Pipe Springs for one year, then they moved to St. George, where she lived for the rest of her life, except for two years which she spent in Oxford, Idaho, 1887-1889, where her youngest child was born. She was the mother of thirteen children, six of which died in infancy. ! She witnessed the hectic days of Silver Reef, the endless and arduous labor of trying to control the Rio Virgin for irrigation purposes, the bringing in of the Cottonwood water supply for culinary use, and the tradegy of the Mountain Meadow Massacre, the gruesome details of which still fill her with distress. ! During her life she has witnessed the transition of western travel from the heavily built, ox-drawn prairie wagon to the finely equipped carriage. In 1901 she rode in her first automobile, and during the years since then, she has enjoyed driving in some of the finest of the modern makes of cars. The Andrus place was well known for its fine stalls of work and draft horses, and they went about in real style in their fine carriage, behind excellent trotters. James Andrus was never happier than when driving a well-groomed outfit. To the end of his life he preferred to travel behind his own team. ! She was an active Relief Society worker, and served in the Primary Presidency. ! Her husband, James, died in 1914. Her past many years, especially since her blindness, have been spent doing ordinance work for the dead, in the St. George Temple. Even at ninety-four, she is still able to enjoy this activity, and she looks forward with happiness to the time when she may be permitted to meet with those for whom she has performed this religious service. ! She bears no ill will toward any living or departed person, and is never disturbed by the racket of little children. Five of the thirteen children born to her are still living close about her. And she now has twenty-eight living grandchildren and twenty-four great grandchildren. ! Manomas Lavina Gibson died May 31, 1940, at St. George, Utah, being 98 years old at that time.

Manomas Lovina Gibson; parts of the story left out of the story from the Andrus Recorder

Contributor: smithc Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

They made some molasses from beets, as well as from cane, and this syrup was the chief sweetener for all purposes. So constantly was cake and molasses the substantial part of their meals when she was a child that this never sounded like a treat to "Grandma Andrus" as it does to her children and grandchildren. They also ate lots of pork week greens. "But these, " says she, "were not so bad after we had a little bacon or butter for seasoning. And after we got to raising wheat, we ground it in the coffee mill and that made most wonderful bread. Flour, which was as high as $25.00 a hundred, and sugar, which was as high as on dollar per pound, made these luxuries almost formidable. And a really delectable cake, such as is often on our table these days, was quite unheard of then. "One thing we did have plenty of, after we moved to Cottonwood, "said Aunt Name, was good fuel. Plenty of good pine and cedar wood were to be had with little effort, and after the difficulties during the winter at Pueblo and along the road, where sometimes even buffalo chips were plenty scarce, we did enjoy having a good wood pile. And since I came to Dixie, I have seldom known what it was to be short of good fuel, for which I am thankful. The family coffee grinder was put to many uses. Mr. Gibson brought his cythe and sickle with him, but for a long time they used flails for threshing out the grain, and each member of the family who could, contributed to this labor. It was surprising, as Mrs. Andrus thinks of it today, how rapidly the small stack of barley or wheat diminished, once the job of flailing was begun. "Not as good as the threshing machine, "she admits, " and the winnowing was not exactly a pleasure." But somehow they contrived to make joy out of their necessities, and her recollections of these years of constant labor are by no means unhappy. They had a large pounding trough where the grain was hammered up for meal, and for coarse wheat and corn bread. This was made from a length of tree trunk, and it served them a number of years. There were several families in Cottonwood, and husking bees were jolly times when the corn crop was harvested. The first Sunday dress"Aunt Nome" remembers distinctly about having after they reached Salt Lake Valley was one her mother made from a piece of material such as the eleven=cent grade unbleached muslin we purchase today. This was dyed a fairly bright brown with dock root, and she and her sister Laura were plenty proud of their frocks. After the first Sunday or two, they just had to serve for all week as well as the Sabbath, which meant of course that mother Gibson must hustle her little girls to bed early Saturday evening so she could wash and press the frocks up ready for the next morning. "Little girls had to be mighty careful of their dresses in those days, and it did no good to fuss because we couldn't have something new every few weeks. We just understood the situation and accepted it, all the while working as hard as we could and planning and hoping ahead for the time when we would have more food and clothing, and better homes." The log school building--a one-room place, with rough tables and rougher benches-- was a half mile from the Gibson home, but they walked to school unless the weather was too stormy. She studied from the Elementary Speller. In their home they had the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon and other Church works as they were published. Her parents were both fairly good readers, and they conformed to Church programs in the family reading of these volumes. This practice she regards as very helpful in the education of children, where the parents take a kindly interest. When the Deseret News began publication, that was a great innovation, and everyone scrinched and saved to have that in the home. "Perhaps those newspaper stories would not appeal to the young folks of today, "said this good lady, "but they were just what we were starved for in those days, and we enjoyed them." After coming to Dixie, "Aunt Nome" was generally out at the Cattle ranch, and she did not often see the papers published locally, but remembers the printing of "The Castus", by G.G.R. Sangievanni, " The Star" by Carpenter, and other publications since that time. Although it has been many years since she could see to read the papers, she has pleasnat recollections of the days when she could enjoy even those early-day papers, no matter if most of the items were well known before they "came out" in the semi'monthly or weekly issues. It meant we were keeping up the game, and that was worthwhile. "Gilbert and Garrish had the first general store in Salt Lake City,", said Mrs. Andrus in answering my inquiry. "I don't remember streets well enough to tell you where it stood, but I well remember the store, for I did a lot of sewing for them. A lot of tents and wagon covers were bought from the Army and other sources, and the need for sacks was met by cutting those heavy covers and tents into various sized sack pieces, and girls and women were hired to sew them. We used heavy sacking needles, and as fast as we could work we could not earn much in a day. The store furnished the materials, thread and needles, and it was a chance to earn a few cents, to get a spool of thread and other necessities for our home. Many times my hands have ached all night from sewing on that heavy material. I don't remember much about the cost of implements, or other items at that time, but I know Gilbert and Garrish carried what was considered a pretty good line of everything." Still clear in the memory of Manomas Andrus are such items as their family acquaintance with John D. Lee, when they were living in Big Cottonwood, of what a splendid man he was, except that he permitted his women folk to do heavy manual labor such as hauling the fuel. Having thus known him, the family found it difficult to associate him with the awful tragedy of the Mountain Meadow Massacre. She smiled again as she recalled the old stage coach between Salt Lake and Bountiful, a lumbering vehicle drawn with a double span of mules. One night a crowd of young people took this coach to Bountiful to attend a dance. As the outfit rounded a curve of the road, the stage coach tipped over, and just as in the game of today, there was a mad scrambling of the occupants. None of them were seriously hurt, as the highwas was heavily laden with snow. Manomas, however, suffered a broken nose. But the coach was righted and on they went to the dance. Although she does not now recall the names of the plays, she does remember attending dramatic performances at the old Fort in Salt Lake City; nor does she remember who the players were at that time, as she was only a young girl. After she came to St. George, she witnessed such plays as "The Charcoal Burner," , " The Orphan," " The Siamese Twins", "East Lynn", and others of those first plays presented here , with such characters as Myles P. Romney, Josephine Snow, Anthony W. Ivins, Maggie McBride, and their splendid impersonations. The first automobile she ever saw was at Springville thirty-five years ago (that would be in 1901) when she and her husband were visiting with an old friend, George Whitmore. He owned an early make of car, and while he and Mr. Andrus visited he had the boys take the women fold for a ride. During the years since then, she has enjoyed driving in some of the finest of the modern makes of cars. And what an improvement she recognizes, even with her blindness. Robert Lund is the first local telegraph operator"Aunt Nome" Andrus remembers. He had his office in the recently- razed Old Social Hall, when that place was bought for a store by "Wooley, Lund and Judd" .She witnessed the hectic days of Silver Reef, the endless and arduous labor of trying to control the Rio Virgin for irrigation purposes, the bringing in of the Cottonwood water supply for culinary use; and she feels her life with all of its hardships, and some almost bitter experiences, has for her now only the greatest of satisfaction.

Life timeline of Manomas Lovina Andrus

Manomas Lovina Andrus was born on 10 Mar 1842
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 17 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 27 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 38 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 46 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 52 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 67 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 72 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 86 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Manomas Lovina Andrus was 89 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
Manomas Lovina Andrus died on 31 May 1940 at the age of 98
Grave record for Manomas Lovina Andrus (10 Mar 1842 - 31 May 1940), BillionGraves Record 2604386 St George, Washington, Utah, United States