Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson

3 May 1805 - 8 Aug 1881


Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson

3 May 1805 - 8 Aug 1881
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson (3 May 1805 - 8 Aug 1881) at Provo City Cemetery in Provo, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


May 29, 2011


May 29, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Lydia Ackerman Knapp...

We found more records about Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Lydia Ackerman Knapp


Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Albert Knapp

Contributor: Robbhaas Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

Albert Knapp (1825-1864) Rozina Shepard Knapp Francis Hyer (1829-1882) Albert Knapp was born July 10, 1825 in Antworp, Jefferson, New York to Silas and Lydia Knapp. As a young man he joined the frontiersmen on the westward march. It was not long until he was baptized into the Latter Day Saints Church at age 20 (March 10, 1846). Albert experienced perils and persecutions in Illinois, Missouri and other newly settled states. While living in Council Bluffs, Iowa, he met and was strongly attracted by a young lady, Rozina Shepard, who later became his wife. While preparing to move to Salt Lake City, Albert, upon the call of President Brigham Young shouldered his musket and joined the Mormon Battalion which served the U.S. in the Mexican War. He was patriotic and was willing to return good for evil. He was one of those valiant men who made his way over unmeasured wastes, unbridged rivers and desert lands, defending the flag of his country. Nor did he shrink from his tasks though weary many months. His named is engraved on a plaque by the Battalion Monument at the Utah State Capitol. The Battalion soldiers suffered many hardships before reaching San Diego, California late in January, 1847, traveling about 2000 miles. When the Mexican War ended, he was mustered out in California. It was at the time of the California Gold Rush; he partook of the mining spirit and remained in California for a year or more. He did not forget his sweetheart whom he first met in Council Bluffs just before joining the Mormon Battalion. When he had earned enough money to go to Salt Lake City little time was lost in courting her. Albert Knapp and Rozina Shepard were married in Salt Lake City, January 7, 1849. Shortly after their marriage they moved with the Shepards to Farmington, Davis, Utah, where Shepard Lane (I-15 freeway exit north of Lagoon) and Shepard Canyon were named for the family. They lived there for about 12 years and engaged in farming. They were thrifty and comparatively quite well to do. His standing among his associates was very good. He was kind, generous and always willing to pay his full share with those with whom he worked. He loved his wife and family and they loved him. Their children were Azilka Retina, Lydia Malinda, Sarah Armina, Silas Albert, Justin Abraham, and Morgan Alonzo. Willis Knapp was the only child of Judith Ovitt Knapp, the second wife of Albert Knapp. There was always a kindly affection between Willis Knapp and his half brothers and sisters. Albert Knapp accepted many church callings. He was president of his Teacher's quorum. He left Farmington twice to fill two year missions among the Indians on the Colorado River at Las Vegas. At the time of the Echo Canyon War, he was a soldier in defense of their lives and property. Under the advice of the church leaders, he moved his family southward. In Farmington he was awakened at night by a fire on his shed which was burned along with several cattle and sheep. Three times the house caught on fire, and three times it was put out. But sadly, as this story continues, in six weeks he saw his home for the last time. His thoughts of poverty and wealth led him again to be a miner. He resolved to work his way to California via Las Vegas. He desired to take his family or at least part of the family with him but times were too hazardous. They loved him as a father and husband but decided to remain with the church and the religion for which the Shepard family had crossed the plains. The night of parting was very dark and sadly real. After tendering each member of the family a parting kiss, he rode away on horseback into night's darkness never to see any of them again. Since the oldest child died at the age of three months, Malinda, as next oldest, seemed to be Albert’s favorite; he sent loving and enticing letters to her. He wanted her to live with him and promised her a first class education if she would. Perhaps the reason he did not write to his wife instead of to Malinda was because Malinda refused to go with him on his westward journey. She followed the advice of her church leaders and remained in Utah. Some time later a strange man came from the west, perhaps from California and offered the mother $500 if she would give up the daughter and let her be taken to her father. He said her father was wealthy and that more money would be given Malinda when she began to live with her father. She would have all the comforts of life and grow up in a land of plenty. These earthly offers were insufficient to procure the consent of mother and child. It was strongly believed that men were hired to lie in the neighborhood secretly to ****** the child away. For months the child was kept in the house and not allowed to go out to play with other children. A long letter sent to his son Morgan told of the sorrows of his westward journey, of how he had almost perished before finding a mine which made him relatively wealthy. He and John Hess discovered the first gold and silver leads in Eldorado Canyon. They formed a mining company which was financially successful. After being in California for about two years, Albert was kicked by a mule and was unable to work until he died about a year later in 1864 at the home of his sister Amelia Knapp Elmore in Sinole, Alameda, California. He buried in the village church yard in Centerville, Alameda County. Notes on Rozina Shepard Knapp Francis Hyer Rozina was born January 21, 1829 in Denmark, Lewis, New York to Isaac and Sarah Shepard. She joined the church in 1843 and with the saints passed through consider¬able trouble in the eastern states. She left the East with her family who spent three or four years working their way out to Utah, arriving in the autumn of 1848. According to her father's statement they left Rodman, New York by team to Sackett's Harbor; took boat on Lake Ontario through Welling Canal, Lake Erie to Cleve¬land, Ohio; remained there about a year, left by team for Nauvoo, Illinois; remained there about one month, then left for Lee County, Iowa; remained there for about two and one-half years to get means to continue our journey to Salt Lake City; left by team Lee County for Council Bluffs where we wintered at Davis Camp. At this time the Saints were called on for the battalion. The following spring we went to Linden, Missouri, where mother died. The following spring we left by team for Winter Quarters, the same spring with Lorenzo Snow's Company for Salt Lake City; this was in the year 1848, arrived in Salt Lake City in the fall of 1848, remained over winter here and then moved to Farmington in the spring of 1849. At Council Bluffs she bad farewell for a time to her sweetheart who enlisted with the Mormon Battalion to serve his country (probably July 22, 1846). She lived in hopes of meeting him again after the war was over. She proved to be sincerely converted to the faith of the Latter Day Saints and lived a life above reproach. Her faith, integrity and patience grew even stronger during her nine months journey across the plains from Council Bluffs to Salt Lake City. She married Albert Knapp in Salt Lake City January 7, 1849 and moved to Farmington where she lived with him for 12 years and bore him six children. Rozina and Albert were divorced after he left the family for California. She married Frederick Nelson Francis by whom she bore Rozina Adelaide who died when ten months old. She finally married Christian Hyer by whom she bore Ezra Taft and Ester Jane. Rozina died in Richmond, Cache, Utah October 24, 1882. Charles Henry Skidmore, grandson of Albert and Rozina paid the following tribute: Rozina Shepard thus lived to be a great woman, which is evidenced by the success of her posterity. Her early experiences in working her way out to Utah, her faithfulness in following the counsel of the leaders of her church and her abiding love and care for her children and grandchildren were seldom, if ever, excelled by any mother. The spot where Rozina Shepard Hyer was buried in the Richmond cemetery is a sacred spot because of her outstanding life's work. It should be well marked and well kept and frequently visited by her kindred who come after her, who are in search of truth and righteousness. Shortly before his death, Albert Knapp wrote the following letter to his favorite daughter, Malinda: Dear daughter (Malinda): December 11, 1863 I received you kind letter last Saturday while on my way to the city on business. It found me in better health than I have been since last January, the cause I will tell you before I get through. I saw Survina and John. She and little Johnny were well but his father had been very sick, but he was getting better. They have plenty to eat and wear. You say you are all well and going to school and step-father is kind to you. I tell you I was truly glad to hear of that and to get those little tender lines written by my own daughter's hand. I want you to write as often as you can and I will answer. You say I have forgotten the ear rings I promised you and Armina (mother-ask Rozina). Have you forgotten the coledonias I sent by Hiram Judd to make sets of to put in them? If you have kept them till I see you, I will perform my promise. Bishop Hess and Lott Smith promised me before I left home that my family should not suffer while I was gone. Your mother worked very hard and I will tell you a little of what I was doing. I was prospecting for money to send to you and to help myself with. I was traveling the first summer after I left home amongst the Indians (savage) where my life was in danger all the time and many days I had to go hungry and without water to drink and traveling over those hot deserts and sometimes I would get a rabbit and sometimes I wouldn't. Thus I passed off the time when John Hess and I discovered the first gold and silver leads in Eldorado Canyon. We located leads for ourselves and others and formed a company so as to get enough means together to prospect and prove our leads so that men of money would buy our claims and give us money so we would have enough to help ourselves with and get machinery to get out the money with. Thus I worked the next summer from 14 to 16 hours a day and I wrote your mother every opportunity and told her if she could get along a couple of years longer we would have plenty. And while I was riding to gather grass for the mules I received a private injury that will last me as long as I live, and I have not done a days work in the past year. One year ago on the 8th of this month, I sold Levi Parsons $2500 worth of mining ground and started with him to San Francisco to get my money and to send for my family. Kind Providence has seen fit to lead me to its treasury and I am now in possession of means to help myself and children. I have got it by hard licks the same as I have always got my living and I intend to enjoy some of it myself. When my children can see fit to come live with me they can help me enjoy it, while I live and after I am gone. Tell Silas I am glad he is mindful of his father. O I wish I could see you and talk with you. If you were here I could give you a better education than it is possible to get there. There are many young ladies here of your age and older that have a good education in both reading, writing and music. They can sit down and take the accordion or the piano and entertain guests, and they can have an agreeable time together with everything else around them to make them happy. O, my children I can not explain to you the beauties of this country and climate. It is raining a slight mist and it is warm and the grain is just beginning to start and people are beginning to plow. I do not know you will believe the half I have written so I will quit. So, goodbye, children. Write, I want to hear from you all. Malinda will write for you. Signed, Albert Knapp The above history was compiled by Lyman W. Condie, Jr., second great-grandson of Albert and Rozina Knapp. The information was taken from notes compiled by Charles Henry Skidmore who interviewed several of his aunts and uncles who were the children of Albert and Rozina. For more information, contact Lyman Condie, 198 Lakeview Drive, Stansbury Park, Utah 84074.

Life timeline of Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson

Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was born on 3 May 1805
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 7 years old when Charles Dickens, English novelist and critic (d. 1870) Charles John Huffam Dickens was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded by many as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the 20th century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories are still widely read today.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 20 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 27 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 35 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 54 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 64 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson was 70 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson died on 8 Aug 1881 at the age of 76
Grave record for Lydia Ackerman Knapp Coulson (3 May 1805 - 8 Aug 1881), BillionGraves Record 3805 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States