Lucile Moncur (Tippets)

25 Sep 1914 - 25 Nov 2012

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Lucile Moncur (Tippets)

25 Sep 1914 - 25 Nov 2012
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Lucile Moncur, age 98, of Orem, passed away peacefully November 25, 2014. She was born in Cowley, Wyoming on September 25, 1914, a daughter of Brigham Lewis Tippets Jr. and Maud Birdean Huffaker. Her mother died when Lucile was 3 years old, and she was lovingly raised by her step-mother, Sophie Erne

Life Information

Lucile Moncur (Tippets)

Married: 9 Sep 1936
Hebrew - Born: 1 Shvat 5686
Hebrew - Marriage: 22 Tevet 5706
Hebrew - Died: 2 Adar I 5746

Orem Cemetery

770 Murdock Canal Trail
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


Rest in Peace. Roses are Red, Violets are blue and we miss you!

Headstone Description

Grandmother - Lovely place at the foot of Timpanogos Mountain. Children: Robert, James, Mary, Susan


July 2, 2018


March 17, 2020


August 17, 2018


May 30, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Lucile


Lucile Moncur (Tippets) is buried in the Orem Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Ezra Huffaker Tippets - Obituary

Contributor: GraveTrain Created: 4 years ago Updated: 1 month ago

After practicing dentistry for more than 50 years, the last thing on Ezra H. Tippets' mind was retirement. "He wanted to work till the day he dropped," said Pamela Allen, his oldest daughter. At age 81, Dr. Tippets began to see his health slowly slipping away. Impaired by the early signs of dementia, he closed a downtown San Diego practice to which he had welcomed generations of patients since 1946. He was 89 when he died of complications from Alzheimer's disease May 7 at Silverado Senior Living in Escondido. Known for his engaging office demeanor, Dr. Tippets relished the interaction with patients young and old. In 1957, with the practice in full swing, he bought a vintage 27-room mansion in Ramona that one of his patients, Lawrence Hertlein, had leased. Converting a spare room to a second dental office, he handled emergencies and treated nearby residents on Wednesdays and weekends. Some of his six children pitched in as dental assistants and bookkeepers, but not always willingly. "We called his office 'the dungeon,' " Allen said. "Most of us thought we had better things to do." Dr. Tippets raised quarter horses on more than 300 acres of his Ramona property and had watermelon and squash crops. The 12,000-square-foot mansion, widely known as the Castle, had been built of wood and rock in 1921 to reflect the European architecture admired by its original owner, fashion designer Irene Amy Strong. Dr. Tippets sold the estate in the early 1970s, then remained there until 1978, when he moved to Poway, primarily because his children had grown and he was facing escalating property taxes. While living there, his family hosted outdoor swimming parties during the summer and converted the spacious living room into a venue for a stage play. "We filled up the place two nights in a row," he told The Tribune in 1986. After Dr. Tippets moved out, the estate remained unoccupied for several years. In the late 1980s, it was converted into a country club and residential community, with the original mansion – now known as the Mount Woodson Castle – as the centerpiece. Ezra Huffaker Tippets was born March 29, 1916, the son of Brigham Lewis Tippets and Maud Birdean Huffaker of rural Cowley, Wyo. One of six children in his family, he worked on his parents' farm long enough to decide that it was not his idea of a career. Encouraged by his parents, he enrolled after high school at the University of Wyoming with his sights set on dentistry. To pay his way through school, he took on a variety of jobs, including working as a custodian and driving a laundry truck. His most challenging job was a 3:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. shift at Union Pacific Railroad. Toting a gun that he never had to fire, he kept valuable shipments from falling into the wrong hands. Dr. Tippets earned a bachelor's degree in zoology at Wyoming and enrolled at a dental school in Portland, Ore. Again, he held down jobs on the side, serving at one time as a time-checker at a shipyard. In January 1941, while attending dental school, he married his high school sweetheart, Esther NeVille. After earning his dental degree, Dr. Tippets joined the Navy, which brought him to San Diego's Balboa Naval Hospital. "When he discovered that winter in San Diego did not require a snow shovel, he was happy to settle down in California for good," Allen said. Dr. Tippets opened a practice after World War II and made his home in La Mesa, where he raised garden vegetables. After moving to Ramona in 1956, he served six years as president of the Ramona branch of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His wife died in 2001, six months after he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Survivors include daughters Pamela Allen of Ramona, Darice Westwood of Pacific Beach, Kathy Fisher of Rancho Bernardo, Roxanne Sawyer of Fairfield and Joan Swindlehurst of Lancaster; a son, Thomas N. Tippets of Valencia; sisters Lucile Moncur of Provo, Utah, and Birdean Larsen of Mesa, Ariz.; 22 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren. Services were held at 10 a.m., May 13, 2005 at the LDS Chapel, 15705 Pomerado Road, Poway. Burial followed at the Dearborn Memorial Park in Poway.

Memorial / Obituary / Personal History

Contributor: PapaMoose Created: 7 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Lucile Moncur, age 98, of Orem, passed away peacefully November 25, 2014. She was born in Cowley, Wyoming on September 25, 1914, a daughter of Brigham Lewis Tippets Jr. and Maud Birdean Huffaker. Her mother died when Lucile was 3 years old, and she was lovingly raised by her step-mother, Sophie Ernestine Mathisen. She married Earl "Casey" Moncur September 9, 1936 in the Salt Lake City LDS Temple.

She earned her BS degree at the University of Wyoming. She taught English in several countries and lived abroad in Afghanistan and Somalia with Casey during his appointment as an agricultural consultant for the Department of State. Lucile enjoyed working at the BYU Family History Library as a consultant and at other libraries local and foreign. She was a member of many women's clubs and associations in the United States and abroad. Lucile enjoyed holding a monthly book club at her home for many years.

She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and served in all the auxiliaries faithfully throughout her life. Lucile served an LDS Mission at the age of 70 in the Georgia Atlanta Mission. She enjoyed doing genealogy research and co-authored several family history books. Lucile also served as an ordinance worker in Provo LDS Temple.

She is survived by her four children: Robert (Shirley) Moncur, James (Sharan) Moncur, Mary (Jon) Ord and Susan (Terry) Judd. She is also survived by 14 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her half sister, Birdean Larsen. She was preceded in death by her husband Casey in 1977, as well as by four brothers and one sister.

Funeral services will be held Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at the Pleasant View 9th Ward LDS Chapel 2445 North 650 East, Provo. A visitation will be held from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m., prior to the services at the ward chapel. Interment will be in the Orem City Cemetery.

Lucile Moncur

Contributor: GraveTrain Created: 4 years ago Updated: 1 month ago

Lucile Moncur, age 98, of Orem, passed away peacefully November 25, 2012. She was born in Cowley, Wyoming on September 25, 1914, a daughter of Brigham Lewis Tippets Jr. and Maud Birdean Huffaker. Her mother died when Lucile was 3 years old, and she was lovingly raised by her step-mother, Sophie Ernestine Mathisen. She married Earl "Casey" Moncur September 9, 1936 in the Salt Lake City LDS Temple. She earned her BS degree at the University of Wyoming. She taught English in several countries and lived abroad in Afghanistan and Somalia with Casey during his appointment as an agricultural consultant for the Department of State. Lucile enjoyed working at the BYU Family History Library as a consultant and at other libraries local and foreign. She was a member of many women's clubs and associations in the United States and abroad. Lucile enjoyed holding a monthly book club at her home for many years. She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and served in all the auxiliaries faithfully throughout her life. Lucile served an LDS Mission at the age of 70 in the Georgia Atlanta Mission. She enjoyed doing genealogy research and co-authored several family history books. Lucile also served as an ordinance worker in Provo LDS Temple. She is survived by her four children: Robert (Shirley) Moncur, James (Sharan) Moncur, Mary (Jon) Ord and Susan (Terry) Judd. She is also survived by 14 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and 2 great-great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her half sister, Birdean Larsen. She was preceded in death by her husband Casey in 1977, as well as by four brothers and one sister. Funeral services will be held Thursday, November 29, 2012 at 11:00 a.m. at the Pleasant View 9th Ward LDS Chapel 2445 North 650 East, Provo. A visitation will be held from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m., prior to the services at the ward chapel. Interment will be in the Orem City


Contributor: GraveTrain Created: 4 years ago Updated: 1 month ago

“It's a BOY!” was the exciting news that spread to neighbors and friends, when Brigham Lewis Tippets, Jr. was born 1 August 1880 in Brigham City, Box Elder County, Utah. The news was received with great rejoicing, as he was the first son and fourth child of Brigham Lewis, Sr. and Abigail Eliza Tippets. Before “Lew,“ as he was called to distinguish him from his father, was a year old, in the spring of the following year, the young family moved to Bear Lake County, Idaho and settled at Maple Canyon, three miles northeast of Bennington. Here these children, and subsequently six more that were to join the family, grew up, surrounded by the love and watchful care of their parents, learning to love honest work well done and enjoying, too, the fun of the western frontier. Their livelihood was obtained from farm enterprises, consisting of livestock, crops of grain, alfalfa, and strawberries and raspberries. When most of the family were of school age a home was built in Bennington where they lived during the winter. Don, Lew’s eldest son, relates a story that has been enjoyed by the family for many years. “Dad and his cousin, Hebe Tippets, were attending a dance in Bennington. The custom in those days was for the girls and boys to go alone to the dances and parties, and the boys would ask to “see” them home and take them out for treats. During the course of the evening the two boys talked about asking a couple of pretty girls to go to the ice cream parlor after the dance and then escort them home. The boys, after mustering up enough courage to make their wishes known, found that the girls had already been asked. Somewhat taken back by the girl’s refusal and not wishing to be out—done for the evening, they decided to follow them home. At the close of the dance they quickly jumped on their horses and rode down the lane towards the girls’ home. After going a little way they decided to dismount and climbed over the fence into a freshly cut and shocked grain field Hiding their horses in some nearby trees, they then hid themselves behind some of the bundles of grain It was a beautiful, clear, fall moonlight night, and they could see the girls with their escorts coming down the road. The boys conceived the idea of grabbing a couple of grain bundles apiece and walked over close to the fence Seeing that the shadows cast a full length, mirror—like image, they capitalized on the situation and began their “moon” walk. Almost immediately the girls saw the walking grain bundles and became so frightened they left their escorts and ran screaming towards their home. The father of the girls was sitting in the kitchen by the kerosene light when the girls came bursting in with their tale of the “walking grain bundles.” He was so angry with this seemingly boyish prank that had so frightened his daughters, that he grabbed his rifle and went out in search of the pranksters straight to the town confectionary. The boys, who had achieved their desired results for the evening, had mounted their ponies and had gone, likewise, to the same place and were calmly drinking a greenriver soda when the father arrived. As the father coolly surveyed the crowd, he pointed his gun towards them and asked, “Which of you fellows were out tonight frying to frighten my daughters?” Not a word was said. He repeated the question again. Still not a word. After a few minutes which seemed like eternities to the boys, he lowered his gun, went out the door and departed. Some years later, when Don was a young man and was in Bennington with his Dad attending a family reunion, he heard a woman in the group relate the same story of the “walking grain bundles.” On their way to their hotel later that evening he asked, “Say, Dad, did you note a familiar ring to that story the woman was telling about the grain bundies? Didn’t you ever ten the girls who it was?” “Oh, no, no,” Dad answered with a wry smile. This way they have their story to tell and I have mine.” When Lew was eighteen years of age, his father was called to be a missionary for the LDS church where he served in the Southern States. Since he was the oldest son he had the responsibility, with the help of his mother and other brothers and sisters, to care for the farm and to make the living. In February of 1900, Lew’s father, Brigham Lewis, Sr., was among a party of thirteen men selected by the church leaders to investigate conditions in the Shoshone River Valley regarding the advisability of establishing a colony in that area. Their report to the church authorities, at the conclusion of this exploration trip, recommended that a colony be sent to the valley and that a canal be constructed to serve the lands to be settled. The church authorities agreed and acted by calling a few hundred families to join the thirteen original in the establishment of a Mormon colony in the Big Horn Basin area in Wyoming. The Tippets families sold their holdings in Idaho and moved by train to Bridger, Montana, from there into the Shoshone River Valley by wagon, arriving in the spring of 1900 and were soon involved and busy on the Sidon Canal project which consisted of 30.48 miles of canal. Excavation was performed by team and scraper with working hours of ten hours per day for six days each week. Each man with a team was allowed $4.00 per day of canal stock, single hands received $2.25 in kind. For the first year settlement homes were made from tents and covered wagons. Log homes, however, were constructed as community sites were selected in Lovell, Byron and Cowley areas. Lew had his 20th birthday, August 1, of that year and because of his great strength and size assumed many of the difficult tasks of building the new settlement. He often spoke of the difficult times the colony experienced. Food was scarce for the families and animals, Clothes, as well as tools, etc., were hard to obtain. At the beginning of the winter season things looked bleak for the small camp. Compensating work of some kind had to be obtained. A “Fast Day” was called by Apostle Owen Woodruff who was in charge of the project. A few days later Apostle Woodruff and a few of the other men were doing some surveying when they saw a buggy coming towards them. It stopped upon approaching the men and a man descended and asked where he could find the leader of the Mormon colony. Brother Woodruff was pointed out to him and the man introduced himself as Mr. I.S. P. Weeks, a representative from the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. He told them that the railroad was going to extend their line from Toluca, just outside Billings, Montana to Cody, Wyoming, and he came to offer the Mormons an $80,000 .00 contract to build that twenty—three miles of railroad. Another incident occurred during the construction of the canal which increased the faith of the entire camp. Approximately two miles below the head of the canal was a rock cliff. The canal was to be constructed just below the cliff. One large rock about twenty feet long was right in the line of the right of way. It was six or eight feet high, and no one knew how far it extended into the ground. Byron Sessions, the construction superintendent, conceived the idea that a large hole could be scraped out on the lower side of the rock…. then a shot of powder could be put under the upper side, rolling the rock over in the hole and out of the way. When the hole had been scraped about ten feet deep, it appeared rather dangerous for men and horses to be working there. This was especially so since the rock leaned away from the cliff toward the hole. Some said that the rock reached so far into the ground that it would never roll over into the hole. This thought was expressed to Byron Sessions by one of his sons who was working at the rock. The elder Sessions seemed to resent his son’s statement. Perhaps he thought that his wisdom in handling the construction was being questioned. He emphatically replied, “I prophecy, in the name of Israel’s God that the rock will be in there tomorrow at this time. One of the workmen quietly said to another, “Let’s test him out.” So saying, he looked at his large pocket watch and said, “It’s just 4:00 P. M. “ The work of scraping the sand and rocks out of the hole continued. The following day as Byron Sessions was supervising the construction he told the men in the hole with picks, shovels~, and crowbars to pick up their tools and get away from the rock . Hurriedly they climbed out of the hole. Within a very short time, perhaps not more than five minutes, the rock split and the larger part of it rolled over in the hole where the men had been working only a few minutes earlier. The man who had checked his watch the day before pulled it out, he was somewhat dumbfounded and said, “Five minutes to four!” The large part of the rock which rolled into the hole helped form the lower bank of the canal. The smaller part remained on the upper bank out of the way. From that time forward, the rock was referred to as “Prayer Rock”. If any of the colonists had previously doubted the wisdom or divine guidance of their leaders, all such doubts vanished. When Lew was twenty-two years of age he was called to serve a two-year mission for the LDS church and was assigned to the North Central States Mission with headquarters at Chicago. It was during this time that he developed a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and a good understanding of the scriptures. His leadership abilities grew along with his spiritual development, and he was considered one of the outstanding missionaries of his day and was selected to report his mission to the general church conference in Salt Lake City. While attending missionary training classes in Salt Lake prior to his mission, Lew obtained room and board at the Brigham Clegg Home. Neff, Lew’s second son relates the following story: It was here at the Clegg home that Lew Tippets met the lovely Maud Birdean Huffaker from Midway, Utah, a small town high in the Wasatch Mountains south and east of Salt Lake City. "Birdie,” as she was called, was visiting her cider sister, Cloa. Lew corresponded with Birdie during his mission and upon returning home was anxious to see her again. So, taking the train to Charleston, the closest railway station to Midway, and then by stage to her home. It was evening and Birdie and just; returned home from her work in a Midway store. She introduced Dad to Grandmother, but there was something bothering her and Lew was not certain what it was. In the meantime Grandmother Huffaker was very nice to Dad fixing him supper and offering him a bed for the night. A few minutes later, while in conversation with Birdie and her mother, there w as a knock at the door. Birdie answered it, and Lew knew the reason for her uneasiness~. He gathered, from the conversation at the door, that the young man had come to escort her to the regular weekly dance. In a few minutes another knock came and still another young man to see Birdie for the same reason. Birdie was beside herself. The conversation in the parlor was getting louder and louder. Birdie slipped away unnoticed to her room, where Grandmother found her a short time later with the perfect solution, “ Why don’t you get ready for the dance, “ she said, “and take Mr. Tippets with you and leave those young men to their quarreling if they want.” This appealed to Birdie, as she really wanted to be free for the evening to be with this handsome young missionary. She had actually only given her consent to accompany one of the young men; the other in a fit of jealousy had come to her home, also. So the young couple slipped out and hurriedly drove off. It was reported that they had a wonderful time oblivious of what had gone on before. They were married January 31, 1906 in the Temple at Salt Lake City, and Lew took his beautiful bride to Cowley. Neff further tells of the first time Dad took his new bride to church. This was related by Aunt Mae and Aunt Clara Tippets, wives of John and Harry Tippets and Dad’s sisters-in-law It was Stake Conference time in the Big Horn Stake, and Dad had been asked to come to the stand for some part he had on the program. He marched up the aisle with his beautiful bride on his arm as proud as a peacock. Everyone turned to see the very striking and handsome couple. He, over six feet tall, with dark hair and brown eyes, and she a petite, five foot plus inches, with light brown hair, blue eyes and a peaches and cream complexion. Their first home was a log cabin, no doubt one of the first built by the first settlers. Into this home came their first child, Lota, born 28 February 1907. She lived only a few hours. The next year Don Harold arrived, 26 December 1908. How happy they were to have this healthy baby boy. Birdie was attended for this second birth by Dr. E. W. Croft, who subsequently delivered all of the other six children. Neff arrived September 4, 1910. Their fourth child, Utahna, was a beautiful, dark-haired daughter with brown eyes, arriving June 21, 1912. When their fifth child was on the way, it was apparent that the family needed a home of their own and a much larger house. Uncle John Tippets, Dad’s younger brother, was a good carpenter and with Lew’s help started to build what was known as the “Pink” house, it being painted pink with a dark red trim. It was a two story lumber house with porches on the east and south west. During the summer before this house was completed, Neff remembers the family lived out in the back in a small shanty that was later used for a granary. With a lot of long hours put in by Dad and Uncle John, the house was finished and moved into just before Lucile's birth, 25 September 1914. This house was considered to be one of the better houses in Cowley for its day. Neff related, “We had a parlor on the north east with a nice carpet on the floor and some brown leather furniture. This room housed the visiting church authorities at conference time. I also remember a large black coal stove trim med with lots of nickel; we only used this parlor room for special occasions.” “Dad’s income” Neff continues, “was derived primarily from farming, with a few railroad and highway construction and sheep shearing jobs on the side. Dad and his brother-in-law, Hubert Marchant, after Dad’s mission release, organized a construction company and sub—contracted railroad and highway jobs throughout the Big Horn Basin. This work was performed with horses and scrapers. Dad’s farming activities was a brother partnership with Uncle John. They purchased their father’s 320 acre farm located in the Copenhagen area east of Cowley. The farm was operated as a joint effort for a number of years and was later divided. Uncle John took the north 160 acres and Dad the south 120 acres.” The expansion of the CB&Q railroad system throughout the Big Horn Basin from points in Montana helped to greatly advance the progress and economic growth of the Basin communities. Because of these facilities, it was possible to ship goods in and out faster and more economically than by wagon train. Oil and gas fields were discovered in the Byron and Garland areas. New industries were thus enticed into the country, and Cowley through its strong and united leadership received its share. The Mutual Oil Refinery Co. was established west of the Cowley railroad depot in 1909. Midland Carbon Plant in 1913. These industries facilitated the bringing of modern utilities into Cowley. Lew’s political career began when he was appointed town treasurer in January 1908. From this humble beginning he developed into a prominent community leader and a fluent public speaker. For nineteen years he served as a counselor to Dr. E. W. Croft in the Big Horn Stake Presidency, he was a school trustee, and the mayor of Cowley. He w as elected president of the Cowley Drainage District and filled numerous other positions in support of the progressive community movement. It was during these years of financial prosperity that his sixth child and third son was born, Ezra Huffaker Tippets, 29 March 1916 in Cowley His complexion was very fair like Lucile’s and Neff’s. It was during this time that a water system and sewage plant was constructed for Cowley Natural gas brought in fuel, electricity was derived from a plant installed in the basement of the Relief Society building just north of the old Cowley ward house Telephone facilities were soon installed The Great Western Sugar Company built a factory at Lovell and provided an important cash crop to the entire ar. Other agricultural enterprises of dairying, beef and sheep, and honey production were expanded and proved to be profitable. Like most new irrigation projects, drainage problems developed and much of the land under the Sidon Canal was forced out of production or was shifted to more adaptable crops. Some men abandoned their farms for industrial employment. Lew was one who recognized the problem in its early stage and planted his lands to pasture and for clover seed production. He increased his dairy enterprise to utilize the forage crops and became known as the clover seed king of the area. For a number of years in the spring Lew would go out shearing sheep, leaving the farming under the supervision of Grandfather Tippets and with what little assistance his sons, Don and Neff, could give . To revitalize the agricultural economy, a drainage program was instigated to reclaim the lands. Lew served as chairman of the drainage board for many years. This was a difficult task, but with a strong determination to resolve the problem the program was completed and lands restored to their productivity. The youngest son, Dermont Huffaker, arrived 26 November 1917. After his birth, Neff remembers that “Mother seemed very weak and didn’t regain her strength as usual.” When it was time to be out of bed she took a bad chill and pneumonia set in and took her life. This happened when Dermont was just eleven days old, 6 December 1917. It was truly a heartbreaking time for Dad. It was in all likelihood the greatest challenge that Dad ever had to face. But he was determined with this added responsibility to keep his little family together and at home close to him where he could watch over us. You will note in a letter which he wrote after our first Family Reunion his reaction at this time. With the assistance of relatives, neighbors and friends and Rachel Briggs who acted as housekeeper, baby tender, etc. the family was kept together. These were lonely years for Dad, but he finally accepted his lot. While he was in Salt Lake City attending general conference, Apostle Richard R. Lyman said to him, ‘Lew, I have a very lovely young woman I would like to 3ave you meet. “This started the courtship between Dad and Sophie Ernestine Mathisen. Dad returned to Salt Lake City the following April, and they were married in the Salt Lake City Temple 16 April 1920. Once again our family was blessed with a wonderful mother, and oh, how she was appreciated by all we children. By this time Dermont was nearly three years old and Don was twelve years old. Sophie Ernestine Mathisen was born 2 May 1884 at Ovid, Bear Lake County, Idaho. She came from a family of ten children and was the daughter of Michael Mathisen and Carolina Johansen (Bodin). Her father, Michael was born 18 July 1823 at Tunsberg, Norway and became a builder of ships, he spoke fluently several languages. Her mother, Carolina Johansen (Bodine) was born 25 October 1846 at Fredrickstadt, Norway. Both of Sophie’s parents joined the church in their native land and emigrated to Utah. They were married 5 September 1869 at Milton, Weber County, Utah. It was not an easy assignment for Sophie to take over the management of a rural home and six lively children. Just prior to Dad’s marriage to Sophie he sold his town home to Charles and Leone Lewis Marchant and purchased the twenty acre farm with an adobe house south and east of Cowley close to the Cowley cemetery. This home was built by George Harston, a brother to Will Harston, and he had developed a small apple orchard there. We enjoyed the apples and were always waiting for the transparent apples to be ready to eat as they were the earliest of apples. This added acreage permitted the expansion of the dairy and sugar beet enterprises. But most of all it provided work for the children and le~ of an opportunity to roam about town. Mother Sophie brought new ideas into the home, as she had time and courage to see that they were carried out. She instilled in each of us a desire to want the better things of life and to attain them one must first prepare himself educationally. It was a happy day when Dad announced that a new baby named Lynn had been added to our family. He was born 26 December 1923. This joy, however, turned to sorrow in a few days. Lynn passed away 11 January 1924. This was a terrible ~ blow for Mother Sophie. She was getting along in years and had waited a long time for a baby of her own. Lynn’s passing took some time for her to recover from. This joy, however, was rekindled three years later when our baby sister, Birdean, was born. This event occurred 25 November 1926, and she was a sweet, healthy, bouncing, lovely baby made over and enjoyed by all her brothers and sisters. The English love for animals was dominant in Dad, for his animals had to be the best. He was responsible for bringing into the Cowley Community some of the finest horses and dairy cattle. Horses provided the farm power and he was particular in breaking new work stock. If they weren’t good workers or bocky, he would trade them off to the Gypsies who passed through the communities periodically. Dad was always very proud of his horses and was willing when the opportunity came to exhibit their pulling strength. I remember one occasion when we were delivering sugar beets to the Cowley beet dump. There was need to move a string of twenty—three railroad cars heavily loaded with beets. The railroad engine had failed to arrive on schedule, and the unloading process had to come to a halt. In order to keep things moving Dad made the statement that he was sure his team of horses could move the cars; this particular team was called Doll and Nell. The workers all claimed this was impossibility. To prove his statement, Dad hitched his team to the string of railroad cars, then, after checking each wheel to be sure that there were no obstructions he returned to his team to be sure that everything on the harnesses was in proper shape for a hard pull. He then gave each horse a loving pat of encouragement and spoke to them in a low gentle voice of, “get up “ The team slowly moved ahead until the pull chains and tugs were tight. They then applied every muscle in their bodies to get the first car started, then the second and third, and so on until all twenty-three cars were pulled to the desired distance The men were all amazed to see such strength and perfect team-work of these horses The beet loading operations were then resumed without any further delay, and Lew Tippets was once again acclaimed a wonderful horseman Toward the end of the economic boom that followed World War I, the family purchased Schumerber Dairy Farm. This farm was located between Cowley and Lovell and provided Lovell with its main milk supply. We moved to the Daily Farm during the winter of 1927. The purchase of this farm added more farm land and dairy cows, also work horses, financial obligations and changed the families easy going ways. The responsibility of a retail dairy including both production and distribution put everything on a strict time schedule, leaving little time for leisure. The cows were placed in the priority category for feeding and milking, as this was our main source of income. The price paid for the Dairy Farm was $23,000 and at this time this was considered quite a financial investment. Dad’s prime purpose in purchasing the farm was to provide employment of the entire family in hopes that money could be saved for sending his children to college and on missions. Everything progressed as planned until the economic bust of 1929 that prompted the depression of the 30’s. In fact, things were going so well that Dad decided to mechanize his operations. It was this year that we purchased our first farm tractor, truck and milking machines. We boys were part of motivating Dad to make this move, as this was the modern end in the agricultural economy. However, during the depression our income from the dairy was so greatly decreased, as many farmers were seeking new outlets for their milk supplies, thus cutting the price of this product. In order to meet our financial obligations Dad looked for off farm employment in custom plowing, grain and clover binding, hay harvesting and livestock feeding. Our college educations were delayed for several years thinking things would improve. The depression continued to linger on despite the efforts of the government for a period of ten years. Nonetheless, with courage, faith, and hard work and the knowledge that most everyone else was in the same situation, our education and other plans were placed in motion. Don and Lucile were the first to begin their college work at BYU in Provo. It was during these depression years that we were all married except Birdean. Utahna was the first to leave the family circle when she married Stewart M. Rollins from Lyman, Wyoming 18 May 1930 at Red Lodge, Montana. Neff followed on August 26, 1931. He married Elizabeth Wilcock of Cowley, Wyoming. They were married in the LDS Temple in Salt Lake City. Don delayed his marriage until he finished college. He graduated from BYU and married Glenna Wood of Hurricane, Utah, 21 September 1937 in the Manti Temple. Lucile decided to get married in her senior year at the University of Wyoming. She married Earl Moncur of Lovell, Wyoming in the LDS Temple in Salt Lake City 9 September 1936. She and Don both graduated from college in 1937. Neff graduated from the University of Wyoming in 1938. He and Beth were maimed before Neff entered the University. Ezra graduated from the University of Wyoming, and he and Esther NeVille were married while he was attending Dental School in Portland, Oregon on 14 January 1941. Dermont was the only one choosing a non-college career. He became a fireman and later an engineer on the Union Pacific Railroad. Dermont and Violet Baston were married 8 February 1938, Violet was a girl from Cowley, and Esther from Byron. When most of the family labor force left home, Dad decided that hired help was not satisfactory and sold the Dairy Farm in 1936. This same fall Ezra enrolled at the University of Wyoming. This made a total of four (4) children in college at the same time. This meant that each of us had to make our own way pretty much. Dermont and Dad decided to do some earth contracting. He purchased equipment, and with the help of Dermont they took contracts in oil and natural gas line laying in several points in Wyoming and later spread these activities to water and sewage systems in several places in Utah, also reservoir construction and land leveling. Dad’s new career made it necessary to dispose of the farm properties at Cowley. The upper place was sold to Rudger R. Lewis of Cowley and the Dairy Farm to Fred Miller. Stan Jamieson had several years prior to these sales purchased the twenty acres and the adobe house close to the Cowley cemetery The declaration of World War II, December 7, 1942 placed many new restrictions on small contractors; thus Dad encountered difficulty in purchasing equipment, repair parts, and keeping good labor. These conditions forced Dad to sell his earth equipment and Mother, Dad and Birdean took employment near the Hill Field Military Installation in Ogden. Birdean graduated from the Ogden High School, and while they were there Dad purchased several pieces of real estate. They remained in this area until the close of World War II and Birdean was ready for college. While dabbling in real estate, Dad met one of his old missionary companions, Oscar Anderson, who was a Real Estate Broker at Orem, Oscar persuaded Dad to sell his property in Ogden and move to Orem. Dad joined Mr. Anderson's staff and started selling Real Estate in the Orem—Provo area . They bought a home at 440 Emery Avenue in Orem, and Birdean enrolled at the BYU. Dad bought several other pieces of property in this area. This was at the time that U. S. Steel started their large steel mill at Geneva, and small houses were going up fast to meet the demands of those working at the new steel plant. While at the close of Birdean’s second year at the BYU, she fell in love and was married to Robert Curtis Larsen of Provo, 3 September 1947 in the LDS Temple at Salt Lake City. Dad continued to sell Real Estate, and Mother worked at the Utah Valley Hospital as Record Typist and Librarian. In the summer of 1951, a decision was made by Dad and Mother that they had made and accumulated enough financial resources to retire. They leased their home and took off on what expected and intended to be a year’s vacation in traveling and doing Temple Work. They decided to first go to St. George where it would be warm for the coming winter months. Neff remembers Dad coming out to Laramie a few weeks before they went to St. George. We had just purchased the Branding Iron Motel, and he wanted to write the insurance on it. He took the bus from Provo thinking this would be easier on him than driving his own car. Beth and I both remarked when he arrived how very tired he looked. We encouraged him to go to bed and get some rest. He didn’t do this. He said he wasn’t tired, that he had slept quite a lot on the bus, but we noticed he spent most of the morning sleeping in the chair. I should have mentioned earlier that while living in Ogden, Dad had to be rushed to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy, and he had trouble with his stomach after this, always taking “tums” and complaining of an acid condition. His one leg that he had suffered with phlebitis since 1931 always gave him pain and swelling when on it very much. Dad favored this leg and, of course, was over-weight and became less active. We knew that Dad was not in the best of health, but we didn’t realize that he was in any danger of his life. Dad and Mother had only been in St. George a few weeks doing temple works Dad was in the temple in the morning when he complained of a pain in his head and some dizziness. Dad and Mother went home. He continued to not feel well. The pain in his head grew worse, and Mother called a doctor who came to their apartment and gave him a shot and told him to lie down and keep quiet and rest. He began to feel a little better and toward evening tried to get up, but was stricken and died in just a short time. Dad died of a cerebral hemorrhage, a massive clot of blood that hit his brain and took him very suddenly. He passed away 13 November 1951 in St. George, Washington County, Utah. After receiving word of Dad's death, Dermont and I who were both living in Laramie at the time, took a plane out of Denver and flew to Las Vegas where we were met by Ezra, Esther and Utahna coming in from California. We went directly to St. George to be with Mother and make arrangements to take Dad’s body to Orem. We were met in Orem by the rest of the family, and a lovely funeral was held in the Sharon Ward where Dad had lived for several years and was the High Priest Quorum President. His body was then flown to the Lovell Mortuary, and a large funeral was held in the Cowley Ward, All of Dad’s family was present, and many of his relatives and friends. He was interred in the Cowley Cemetery beside Mother Birdean, Life gives us many memories of home, Dad, our two Mothers, and our brothers and sisters. I would like to conclude this short biography with some of the vivid impressions of my Dad and the affects they have had on our family. I do hope and pray that each of us as his children and also his grandchildren will so live their lives that he will be proud of his posterity. He loved each of us as we in turn loved him; we must not falter by the wayside but remain strong and faithful as he would have us do. Throughout my young life many men stood out as individuals; now it seems then are only a few. More and more it seems that men are yielding o conform to this and that because of political, financial or other reasons. They all seem to talk alike. Believe me, no one ever mistook Dad for someone else, He was always his own self, thinking with his own mind, standing on his own two feet. He knew that a man finds happiness only by walking his own path across this earth. He did not make snap or flick decisions, He weighed each problem separately, giving it careful and prayerful consideration. He was shrewd in his decisions, and I admired the wisdom he had gained throughout his lifetime. Dad carried out his commitment of rearing and providing for his family. This he did very well. At times it required an immeasurable amount of faith, work and most of all, understanding and patience. In these responsibilities he never once faltered and has passed on a good name, a clean and honorable and exemplary life and heritage for all of us. He had an abiding testimony of the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Dad was never found shirking his duties in his church capacities. He was ever willing, faithful and valiant in the work of the Lord, He was generous with his time, his tithes and his offerings to the Church, and for this faithfulness~ he was greatly blessed. For these memories of our Father, I am proud and most grateful, Now, at the age of 68 + years, looking back over my own life and that my brothers and sisters, any achievements, successes that have come to us, have been when we have had the sustained courage to follow Dad’s admonitions and in his words to walk uprightly our own paths across this earth. Written by Lucile Tippets Moncur

Life timeline of Lucile Moncur (Tippets)

Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was born on 25 Sep 1914
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 6 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 25 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 31 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 39 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 50 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 63 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 67 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 80 years old when The Rwandan genocide begins when the aircraft carrying Rwandan president Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian president Cyprien Ntaryamira is shot down. The Rwandan genocide, also known as the genocide against the Tutsi, was a genocidal mass slaughter of Tutsi in Rwanda by members of the Hutu majority government. An estimated 500,000 to 1,000,000 Rwandans were killed during the 100-day period from 7 April to mid-July 1994, constituting as many as 70% of the Tutsi population. Additionally, 30% of the Pygmy Batwa were killed. The genocide and widespread slaughter of Rwandans ended when the Tutsi-backed and heavily armed Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) led by Paul Kagame took control of the country. An estimated 2,000,000 Rwandans, mostly Hutus, were displaced and became refugees.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) was 87 years old when The September 11 attacks, a series of coordinated suicide attacks killing 2,996 people using four aircraft hijacked by 19 members of al-Qaeda. Two aircraft crash into the World Trade Center in New York City, a third crashes into The Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia, and a fourth into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The September 11 attacks were a series of four coordinated terrorist attacks by the Islamic terrorist group al-Qaeda against the United States on the morning of Tuesday, September 11, 2001. The attacks killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in infrastructure and property damage. Additional people died of 9/11-related cancer and respiratory diseases in the months and years following the attacks.
Lucile Moncur (Tippets) died on 25 Nov 2012 at the age of 98
Grave record for Lucile Moncur (Tippets) (25 Sep 1914 - 25 Nov 2012), BillionGraves Record 5305 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States