Louise B Glover

12 Jul 1863 - 23 Jun 1938

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Louise B Glover

12 Jul 1863 - 23 Jun 1938
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

A history of Louisa (Louise) Bennett Glover (1863-1938) as compiled by her granddaughter, Mary Louise Heaton Thompson at Laie, Oahu, Hawaii, August 1969. “Louisa, do you like fun?” There was a mischievous twinkle in Jimmy Glover’s eyes as he approached his wife. Knowing her husband and his Eng
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Louise B Glover
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Louise B Glover


Alton Cemetery

Unnamed Rd
Kanab, Kane, Utah
United States

Larry Bulloch

September 14, 2021


August 30, 2021


August 29, 2021

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Louise B...

We found more records about Louise B Glover.

Grave Site of Louise B


Louise B Glover is buried in the Alton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



A Corner of Her Heart

Contributor: kdbulloch Created: 3 months ago Updated: 3 months ago

A history of Louisa (Louise) Bennett Glover (1863-1938) as compiled by her granddaughter, Mary Louise Heaton Thompson at Laie, Oahu, Hawaii, August 1969. “Louisa, do you like fun?” There was a mischievous twinkle in Jimmy Glover’s eyes as he approached his wife. Knowing her husband and his English wit, Louisa replied with a yes and full well knew what the consequences would be. “Well, then, let’s ‘ug!” Jimmy said as he hugged his Louisa and whirled her around. Her dark eyes danced to match the twinkle in his eyes. Life had not always been frivolous and fun for Louisa, for she was born 12 July 1863 in Ince Wigan England, at a time when fun and frivolity were reserved for the ‘upper class‘. Louisa’s parents, John and Sarah Glover Bennett, both native Englishmen, were good, honest, hard-working people, but hardly of the ‘upper class’, for they had to work for the bread and butter to put on their table. Louisa was the oldest child, and born at a time when children in England were put to work at a very early age to help supplement the family income. The mines and factories at that time would cause child labor officials of today to throw up their hands in disbelief. Usually at the age of nine the boys went to work in the coal mines, there to work, rarely seeing daylight again until they were too old and feeble or until they died of consumption (tuberculosis of the lungs). At the age of eleven, when most little girls are having their hair curled and ruffles sewed on their dresses and wondering how long it will be before they become young ladies, Louisa went to work in the factory. The workers at this particular factory spun cotton onto spools (or bobbins) to weave cloth. Louisa would go to work before daylight and would seldom get home until after dark. It was her responsibility to keep the bobbins full. She would be on her feet all day long, usually on tiptoe. Most often, the children would work barefooted because the floors were slippery and a fall would almost always mean certain death. The wage was a mere pittance, but Louisa gave it all to her mother to help with the living. The poor families all worked together to help each other, and family ties were strengthened. Queen Victoria finally did get a law passed that stated children and women could only be worked ten hours a day, and that children between the ages of nine and fourteen must be schooled half a day in Catholic schools. She also decreed that children under nine years of age could not work. Louisa’s father was a typical Englishman (writes one of his grandsons ) - hot headed and with the physical power to back it up. He was strict with his family and would not allow anyone to cross him. His temper would flare up without warning. Sometimes he would brood for days over something, and for weeks over something else. Other times he would forget it in a minute. Other children born to John and Sarah Glover Bennett are: Annie (15 Jan. 1865), Maria (26 May 1868), John (28 Oct 1870), Ruth (26 March 1873), Elizabeth (15 Feb. 1875), Moses (28 Dec. 1877, and James (27 Nov. 1884). As a child, Louisa attended the Baptist church (some of the family think it was the Methodist church). She was able to recite the New Testament by heart, and the people at church called her their little scripture girl. It wasn’t at all uncommon for Louisa’s family to ‘hock’ their Sunday clothes during the week at the local hockshop (pawnshop) then pay to get them out to wear to church on Sunday. Sometime during the time she was working in the factory, she was introduced to Mormonism. After working all those long hours, often she would walk five miles to attend a cottage meeting held by the Mormon elders. Perhaps it was because Louisa was musical and loved to sing that she became attracted to the Mormon missionaries. She used to stand on the street corner and sing with them, but at the same time vowing that she would never become a Mormon. Louisa broke that vow and was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 12 September 1878 by James L. Bunting, a missionary from Utah. Her friends from the Baptist church all turned against her. Probably in the early 1880’s her parents converted to the Mormon church and immediately set about scheming to immigrate to Zion. And somewhere between the years of 1878 and 1883, a handsome, musical, fun loving Englishman entered her life and took possession of her heart . . . all but corner of it! Twenty year old Louisa married James (Jimmy) Glover, Jr., Saturday August 19, 1883. The following Tuesday, August 22, 1883, they said goodbye to their native England and sailed for America and a new life together. Jimmy was the last of his family to come to America (his father died in February 1883 at Johnson, Kane Co., Utah). Louise left her father, mother and siblings and a corner of her heart in England. According to his mother’s diary, young Jimmy Glover was not too enthused about the Mormon Church and did not join when his parents did. In fact, he did not want to go to America, and he didn’t want his parents to go. His parents sold all of their possessions to have enough money to make the journey. His mother wrote in her diary that she planned to get her husband and family onto the ship and then slip quietly back and remain behind with Jimmy whom she had left sitting on the bare floor in an empty flat. A lovely young sweetheart and the absence of family can exercise much influence on a stubborn young Englishman however, and Jimmy was baptized 25 July 1883, just prior to his marriage to Louisa. We read in a later entry in his mother’s diary, “Another of our prayers has been answered. Our Jimmy and his wife, Louise Bennett (his first cousin) are now here in Zion with us.” Louisa’s parents (John and Sarah Glover Bennett) came to America about 1889. They lived in Richfield, Utah for a short time, then moved to Johnson, Kane County, Utah. When they were old and needed care, they moved to Alton where Louisa and Elizabeth were. Annie and John, two of the Bennett children never came to America. A son, Moses did come to America and likely remained, however some of the family records state that Moses disappeared somewhere in England. Ruth Glover Lewis Pollack - Louisa’s daughter - wrote the following in a letter to Mary Heaton Thompson. “Mother spoke often about Uncle Mose (Moses). He married Mary Jackson. I’m not sure if they had any children, some say he had two, but I don’t think he did. Mose and Mary separated after a few years, and he just roamed around. He gambled. Once he came to visit his parents while they lived in Alton, and I remember that he stayed for several day, and then went rambling again. They hardly heard from him after that. The only thing any of us know is that someone told the folks that they had read somewhere that a Moses Bennett had been killed in a car accident. We all feel sure that it was our Moses Bennett as he has never been heard of or seen since.” Louisa and Jimmy were on the ocean for six weeks. The accommodations were poor, as they had taken the cheapest passage they could. They landed in New York, where they found employment for a short time, but they were anxious to be where their family was. As soon as they had the necessary funds, they traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah. On arrival they were walking along, carrying their suitcases, when a gentleman came up and offered to help carry some of the bags. Louisa looked up at him and asked if he was a Mormon. He chuckled and replied that indeed he was a Mormon. Elder Bunting, who had baptized her, met Louisa and Jimmy in Salt Lake City. Within a short time, Jimmy and Louisa went to Johnson, Kane County, Utah, a small settlement 14 miles east of Kanab, where Jimmy’s mother and sisters were. The desolation, smallness and the newness of this place must have been about too much for the young couple. They were sorely disappointed, and Jimmy said, “We’ve come to the end of the road, the jumping off place. If it weren’t for the ocean between, we would try walking back to our beloved England!” (He said this several times in the next two years.) With anticipation, Louisa awaited the birth of their first child, but for five years there was to be no little one to cuddle in her arms, except for a few days to a few weeks each time. Louisa conceived and lost three babies, three little girls. Clara Annie (or Hannah) was born 25 November 1884 at Johnson and died 7 December 1884. Sarah Alice was born 24 September 1885 at Johnson and died 5 October 1885. Emma was stillborn 18 May 1887 at Upper Kanab. Ruth Glover Lewis Pollack recalls that her mother often told her that after the stillbirth, the midwife said she never expected to see Louisa ever raise a finger again. Everything was backwards and the labor extremely difficult and painful. As the contractions occurred, Louisa would reach out for a hand to grasp, only to slip into unconsciousness. The placenta came first, then the baby, and then the water broke. Ordinarily at such a birth, especially in those times, the mother also gave her life. On 12 May 1886, Jimmy and Louisa made the trip to St. George, Utah where they received their endowments and were sealed in the St. George Temple by David H. Cannon. Louisa and Jimmy’s hopes and dreams were realized, when on 21 August 1888 at Upper Kanab, a baby girl was born to them and she lived. This little girl looked like her father and was to be named May Belle, but when the blessing took place, the name came out Mabel, and that is what it has been ever since. It was natural that Jimmy and Louisa would spoil this little one. They humored her and gave in to her whims - even to wading in the mud one time. But Louisa would just change Mabel’s dresses three or four times a day, so that she wouldn’t have a bit of dirt on her. Two years later a baby boy, James was born on 20 October 1890 at Johnson, but died 25 November 1890. John Stanley arrived 5 November 1891 at Upper Kanab, and Arthur 8 February 1894 at Upper Kanab. When Arthur was a few days old, Louisa wanted to bathe him. Being February, there was six to eight feet of snow on the ground (Jimmy had had to travel six to seven miles in that same snow to get the midwife.) So Arthur could be bathed, the family hung quilts around the bed to keep off the drafts, and Louisa sat up and bathed her infant son. Another little girl blessed their home 7 May 1896 at Johnson and was named Ruth. Then little Mary was born 25 November 1899 at Johnson, and died 30 November 1899. Ina was born 31 May 1901 at Johnson. One Sunday in the spring, April 14, 1907, Louisa hurried her children off to Sunday School. What a surprise awaited them when they returned - a new baby brother! Gordan was their little bonus baby. When Gordan was just a few days old, Louisa had a severe attack of appendicitis. Nell Robertson and her husband, Frank, had just moved up to the Findley Ranch into a log cabin next to the Glovers. Nell came and nursed Louisa, and had it not been for her care, it is doubtful that Louisa would have survived. Nell was truly an angel of mercy and has been lovingly called Aunt Nell by the entire family ever since. When Louisa and Jimmy lived in Johnson, they were active in the ward. Jimmy was a counselor in the bishopric to John W. Glazier, and Louisa was a ward chorister, a Relief Society counselor and a Primary president. Choir practice night found them both in attendance, along with their children, who maintain to this day that choir practice is where they gained their love of the hymns and of all good music. It was difficult to make a living in Johnson, so James and Louisa moved their family to Upper Kanab, where he worked for A.D. Findley on his ranch. James worked their for several years, they moved back to Johnson and built a house. Was it modern? No! There were coal oil lamps, water carried from a spring, a wood stove, and a fireplace. But this was home and it often rang with music and laughter, and often the good, homey smell of popcorn. It apparently was the gathering place for the young people in Johnson. Ruth writes that it was an adobe house with the front door facing south. Once when Mabel was small, Jimmy was working away from home, and firewood was scarce. Louisa took Mabel by one hand and held a little axe in the other and they chopped firewood off the picket fence. Another time when their cow was dry, a neighbor would give them skimmed milk to drink with their bread. One day she gave them sour milk, and it so upset Louisa that she sat down and cried, but they had to use it because there was no money to buy more. The average day’s wage was a dollar a day, so many times the food did not quite stretch around the table, though Louisa could make a meal out of practically nothing. Louisa was known for being a good cook, and was especially famous for her pie crust. Whenever a family gathering was held, she was called on to furnish the pies. She always insisted on lard for shortening and she wouldn’t measure. “You just ‘ave to ‘ave the feel of it”, she would say. No one has ever been able to equal the flavor of her rice or raisin pudding and Yorkshire pudding was another of her specialties. One granddaughter remembers that it was baked in the oven like a custard pudding, but was not sweet. Louisa’s children were very precious to her and she spent a lot of time playing with them, much to the envy of a little neighbor girl who wondered why her mother couldn’t do the same. She made them molasses candy and popcorn for treats. Many a candy pull was enjoyed at the Glover’s. Jimmy and Louisa never spanked their children, but a daughter, Ruth, remembers one morning her mother was going to a spring nearby to get a bucket of water. She wanted to go with her but her mother said no because the grass was wet. When Ruth began to follow anyway, her mother picked a little willow, put Ruth in the cellar and gave her legs a little tingle with willow. Ruth stayed put! Several moves were made between Johnson and the Findley Ranch (as the birthplaces of the children indicate). Moves were difficult, even in modern times, and Louisa had her share of them. She was a hard working woman. There were always cows to milk. In a history her daughter, Mabel, wrote in later years, Mabel added the following about milk. “Milk always meant work, for it had to be strained, and set out in pans until the cream formed on top, then the cream had to be skimmed off and churned into butter. When the milk was plentiful, mother would churn it into butter, work it and mold it, then store it in large five gallon cans to last us throughout the winter. Mother also made cheese for the family.” One of Louisa’s children wrote, “I remember that mother wasn’t well a good deal of the time.” Eleven pregnancies, five premature births and finally six children that lived probably accounted for this, plus the fact that there were no doctors, no medicine, and no hospital nearby. Food was scarce and work was hard. A daughter, Ruth, writes “that mother had a lot of stomach trouble. I have seen her have sinking spells and pass out. I have seen father many times, carry her out in his arms on to the porch, where she would get fresh air and come to. I hardly remember a time when mother was not is pain.” One day, Louisa and Mary Johnson with their children, and Louisa’s sister, Lizzie set out with a team and wagon to visit their neighbors, the Roundy’s. After their visit, as they were all loaded in the wagon, something startled the horses and they broke into a dead run. The children were rattling around in the bottom of the wagon, with Mabel and Leone on a spring seat, bouncing up and down having a wonderful time. The two mothers were horrified, Lizzie was thrown out and badly injured. Some men in a nearby field got the horses stopped just before the wagon came to a steep dugway. The Lord was watching over these families. While pregnant with the baby she lost in 1899, Louisa again was reminded that the Lord loved her. Arthur and Ruth became very ill. They both had scarlet fever and complications set in. Ruth developed pneumonia and Arthur with Bright’s disease. The doctor said that Arthur would surely die, and most likely Ruth would too. The elders were called in to administer to them. After the blessing, one of the elders told Jimmy that his children would live and get well. Here is the account in Ruth’s own words. “When I was three years old, I remember standing in the doorway of the house in Johnson, holding onto mother’s skirts, when I suddenly was taken with a pain in my side. I do not remember anything else, as I had pneumonia and Art had dropsey. We were very, very ill for a long time. My parents sent for the only doctor that was anywhere around. He was traveling through the country. He said he didn’t think either of us could live, but with the best of care that I might. He said that Art couldn’t live longer than a few hours, but through the blessings of the Lord and the faith of my parents and Brother Glazier, our lives were spared.” When little feet are no longer heard in a home, grandchildren arrive to fill the void. The following is a letter from Jimmy Glover to his Aunt Mary Ashcroft. In it we catch a glimpse of his tender heart and pride and love for his grandchildren. Alton, Kane Co., Utah 22 February 1915 Dear Aunt Mary and family, Your very welcome letter of February 9 came to us February 20 and how glad to learn that you are still alive and able to write. Just think of it, my own father’s sister and I, her brother’s only son, and I have never had the pleasure of looking in your dear face. I am thinking so much tonight of your mother (my dear old grandmother), that I must talk to you about her a little. You know, I was her favorite grandchild, being father’s only boy and living near each other made grandmother and me very dear to each other. The last six years of grandmother’s life was spent in bed as an invalid. I do not remember one day out of those six years that I missed seeing my grandmother. How well I remember she lived on the second floor, and I can almost feel myself, as a little boy of seven or eight years old, trudging up them stairs to kiss grandmother. She could tell my footsteps from those of anyone else in the house when I was there. Instead of going right up to see her, sometimes I would stop and turn the mangle for Aunt Hannah, but grandmother would call out, ‘Hannah, send that lad upstairs.’ I would run up and get on the bed with grandmother. She would feel if my hands were warm, ask me if my feet were dry, and then I would play marbles for an hour. She would watch me and laugh, and often she would go to sleep with such a sweet smile on her dear old face. I think of it so much that eternity has no charm for me if grandmother is not there. How the years roll by. Here I am a grandfather. I have four of the sweetest grandchildren you ever saw. We have six children - three boys and three girls. The eldest, Mabel who is 26, is married and has three children. John Stanley is 23, married and has one child. Arthur is 21 this month and is now on a mission in the Central States and has been gone since December 1913 and is doing fine. He is a splendid singer and that has been a great help to him. Ruth is 19 and Ina is 13. Our baby boy, William Gordan is 7. We are a happy family - all members of the Church in good standing. I hold the office of High Priest. About my father’s records or genealogy, I as yet have not been able to get them. I believe my mother sent you some records, did she not? Mother had considerable of father’s work done, but I do not know just how much. A family by the name of Johnson, who moved into Mexico, have the records, but I am expecting to get them in my possession before long. It is the family of Johnson’s who emigrated my father and his family to Zion. The same Johnson who composed many of the songs of Zion, High on the Mountain Top, and others. You know after father left England, I did not get to see him anymore as he died before I got to Utah. About Aunt Sarah and Uncle John Bennett (Louisa’s parents - Sarah and James‘ father are siblings), yes they are still alive and live in Johnson, Kane Co. Utah. Uncle John still is a great worker, although he is 73 and Aunt Sarah is 71 or 72. They have a small farm and support themselves from their farm. They have one boy at home with them. He is a good son and will see to their welfare. They do not have much to do with religion, although they are still members of the Church. I do not live in Johnson. I live in a place called Alton, 30 miles north of Johnson. We go down to visit with them once or twice a year. It would do Aunt Sarah lots of good if you could write her a letter. We get a letter from them about every two weeks, so we keep in touch with them and know how they are getting along. I have a nice farm of my own, and am the mail contractor for Alton. I am now 57 years of age and feeling well and do lots of work and have many friends all over the country. Well, my dear Aunt, I sure would like to see you and your family. I had a good talk with Apostle Cowley on one of his trips down here some years ago. He said I sure had lots of relatives around Cache Valley and they are fine people. Well, I feel that I have said about enough this time, and it has been a great pleasure to me to write you this letter. I believe it will be pleasant to you to read it. Let me hear from you as soon as convenient, and tell me your age and how your health is. Your loving nephew, James Glover More about Louisa Louisa gave birth to her youngest child just eight months before her first grandchild was born. Mabel’s Junius Floyd was born 20 December 1907, so he and Louisa’s Gordan grew up much like brothers being so near the same age. Louisa, in young womanhood, was a beautiful woman; small boned and stately with dark hair and large, dark eyes. In later years, she was still a pretty woman, her dark hair streaked with gray (it was still quite dark when she died) and the same dark, expressive eyes. Eyes that were oft times sad and occasionally given to merriment and even to temper. Rile Louisa, and like her father, she would stretch to her full measure, throw back her shoulders and kindle a spark in those dark eyes and sometimes on the end of her tongue, too! For instance, one day she was aggravated with a grandson, Kyle, who just didn’t hurry to do her bidding as fast as she would have liked him to have done. She scolded, “Hurry up, your sons a bitchin’ tail is on fire!” Bitchin’ seemed to be one of her bywords when she got excited. Those rascal grandsons liked to tease her, just to get her riled. More than once they would put a tiny piece of black coal on the end of a stick, sneak up behind her and yell, “Watch out, Grandma, here’s a stinkbug!” And then it was her turn to yell, and yell she did, because she had a deathly horror of black bugs. This dated back to her childhood in England, when as a small child she would put her shoes on the hearth before going to bed. Each morning, when she put them on, they would be full of black cockroaches. Although the cockroaches were larger and they were black, the Utah stink bugs reminded her of them. I suspect Louisa didn’t much like porcupines either. One day she came into the house and began to look for her feather duster. A large trunk stood in the room and thinking that the duster might have fallen behind it, she reach in back of it - no duster, but a porcupine. Louisa screamed, “Get this bitchin’ thing out of ‘ere, ‘ow did it get in ‘ere!” She was very excitable and would get all worked up and wring her hands. Another time she ordered a hat from a mail order house of Wing Stock & Lubbin. The hat was to be mailed in a tin box. When it came it was in a mashed cardboard box. Louisa got really excited and said, “I know that Rachel Jolley (the post mistress) wanted that tin box, so she took me hat out of it and changed boxes!” Children got a kick out of watching her hunt for her glasses. She would say, “Where’s me glasses?”, look all over and invariably find she had pushed them back on her head. For amusement, Louisa would sit down in front of the hearth, spread a deck of cards out before her and play a game, all by herself. She had a sweet nature, though ‘high strung’, and she was rather quiet and reserved, unless taunted by her mischievous grandsons or fun loving husband. No matter where they made their home, she was always a ‘neat as a pin’ housekeeper. Bare floors were scrubbed shining clean and things were in place and in order, even though the house may have been small. Louisa was a cleaner! Daughter Ruth writes: “ When mother got out of patience at me or one of the other children, she would dive in and say we are going to clean house today. This usually happened when the house didn’t even need cleaning, but nevertheless, we would tear in and clean house. Louisa had great patience and never complained about the little she had. Great patience was exercised with her children. Like most mothers, she always blamed the company they kept if one of her children got into a bit of mischief. A town was started on Oak Flat - later called Alton. Jimmy bought some land and moved a house onto it from three miles up the valley. What with house moving equipment these days it is not big thing to move a house. But Jimmy’s house moving took ten days, many men and chains and twenty-four of the best horses in the valley. Louisa had a brother James who never married but lived with his parents in Johnson. He herded sheep, prospected a little, hired out as a farm hand, played his guitar and banjo, and whittled pincushions out of animal horns and hoofs. (Mary adds that he used to play for her to sing and tap dance. One favorite song they would sing together was ‘Old Faithful’). He died at age 66 in 1952 of a heart ailment. In 1921, Louisa and Jimmy both had dreams about Jimmy’s parents. Louisa saw them both but they were separated. Jimmy saw his mother in a dream with the man she had married after Jimmy’s father died. Jimmy became concerned about his parents not being sealed in the temple to each other, so he went to the St. George Temple and had this ordinance done. Two weeks after having the sealing done, Jimmy had several spells. The doctor said these spells were not epilepsy but were caused by hardening of the arteries, hard work, aging too fast, improper diet, etc. He gave Jimmy some medicine to take, but Jimmy threw the medicine away saying he wasn’t going to take medicine for nightmares. One day Jimmy had one of these spells and fell into the fireplace, burning his hands. This did not cause his death, but died some time later of an apparent heart attack on 23 Sept. 1921. In the later years of her life, Louisa did not get much rest. She would be so very tired and sleepy, but when she went to bed she could not relax and close her eyes. At the time of her death she was living with her daughter, Ina, and her husband Wilford in Alton. Louisa was resting on a little cot in the living room and a small pair of shoes were on the floor near the cot. She asked Ina how much did she have to pay for LaMoyne’s shoes and with that she simply passed away. Her passing was quiet and serene. I, Mary Heaton Thompson, was seven and was delegated to go up to the ward hall and tell my mother, Mabel, who was attending a Relief Society quilting. Mary remembers sitting by her grandmother’s casket during the funeral as a flower girl and when writing this story wondered where all the flowers came from in Alton, but there were many flowers at the funeral. Louisa was a gentle person (except for the occasional English spark!) She was an understanding neighbor, a concerned loving mother, and a sweetheart and motivating spirit and companion to her Jimmy - standing beside him through their years of hardships and struggles. She was a Church worker and perhaps influenced a group of Primary children more than anyone else she came in contact with through her Church activity. This influence remained through many years with one of Louisa’s little Primary girls, with whom she shared that little CORNER OF HER HEART! This little Primary girl wrote this beautiful tribute in July 1969. Memories of Louisa Glover By Vilate R. McAllister They asked if I remember Sister Glover, as if I could forget one, who for me represented mystic lands and romance, with tales of England, far across the sea. I think of her, and flash, I see a picture of how she looked to me, Primary day as facing half a dozen rapt young listeners, she told about her childhood far away. I see her big brown eyes, alight with memories of working in the factories over there, She was so young, the hours long and arduous, but that was the condition everywhere until the dear beloved Queen Victoria changed things, when to England’s throne she came, and she’d tell of the beauties of her homeland, but she was glad she’d left it just the same. She’d tell of her romance with Jimmy Glover, whose folks were in the Church, but hers’ were not. She’d sing on the street corners with the elders, she had a lovely voice, so others thought. And she’d declare she would never, oh no, never become a Mormon - but she changed her mind and got baptized. Then at twenty, married Jimmy, and three days later left her beauteous England far behind. She’d read and tell us stories of the Savior, so vividly that we could almost feel His presence with us. And for me the heroes of Bible times were never made more real. She’d almost make us cry, as she recounted the trials and sufferings of the pioneers. But then she’d always bring in something pleasant, like faith rewarded - change to smiles our tears. I loved to hear her speak with British accent, the charming, quaint expressions she would use. Her speech was free from clutter, slander and swear words, She never the King’s English would abuse. An instance of the way she used to talk - Well, I’ll put it into rhyme, if I am able. In mild exasperation once she sighed and said, “Dear, Ruthie never will be Mabel!” Another time at Findleys, where they lived before they moved the Siler house to town ‘Twas round up time. The corrals were full of horses, black and white, pinto, roan, and brown. As they milled, she watched them through the window. “Not one horse do we own among the lot, save one little colt”, she smiled, “It’s Stanley’s”, so she vocalized her thought. Ina was in my crowd, and we went often to Sister Glover’s house to sing and play her little parlor organ. We felt welcome to congregate there any time of day. She was to my mind, a perfect lady, so meek and kind, so quiet and serene, beloved of her children, her neighbors, and her home always the gentle queen. They asked if I remember Sister Glover, a vision of her person comes to mind, a slender and stately, white streaked black haired lady, with brown expressive eyes, soul lit and kind. Her life touched my young life, and I was strengthened, and I was glad to learn, when hers’ was done, that she was spared a lengthy time of suffering, and that her passing was a peaceful one. Notes by Mary Louise Heaton Thompson Ruth says that her mother told her many times that her name was Louise, not Louisa, and spelled LOUISE, but my mother (Mabel) told me that is was Louisa and my records show it Louisa; whatever or however, I wrote her story. I have come to know and love my grandmother, and I am proud to have her name and perhaps a little of her English spark! Regarding Moses Bennett and his wife, Mary Jackson, I was told at a family reunion in 1970 that they did have one child, a daughter named Sylvia, She lived with Grandma and Grandpa Bennett for awhile.

Bennett Life Sketch

Contributor: kdbulloch Created: 3 months ago Updated: 3 months ago

John Bennett was born on the 14th of June 1839 in Ince in Makerfield, Lancashire, England. The second son and third child of William and Elizabeth. In 1851 he lived on Broom Street in Ince in Makerfield with his father William, mother Elizabeth and his siblings James, Catherine, William, Richard and Thomas. He was a scholar. In 1861 he lived in the same street with his parents William and Elizabeth, and siblings Catherine, Richard, Thomas, Matthew, Henry, David and Ellen. John was a coal miner. I believe that John joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints sometime before his marriage. One record shows that he was confirmed on the 1st of Jan 1856 at 16 years old, but I do not have firm proof of this. On the 21st of May 1861 John married Sarah Glover who was also a member of the church, (She had been baptised when she was ten years old) In 1868 their daughter Maria who was only 8 months old sadly passed away. In 1871 John and Sarah lived at 8 Primrose Hill in Scholes, Wigan, Lancashire, England. He was a breaksman and Sarah was a Reeler in factory. They had three children, Louisa, Ann and John living with them. By 1881 the family had moved to 94 Albert Street, Pemberton, Lancashire, England. John was now working as a Railway breaksman and Sarah was a Cotton mill mulekeeper. They had their 6 children with them. Louisa, Ann, John, Ruth, Elizabeth and Moses. In 1890 John Bennett and his daughter Ruth, travelled to Liverpool where they boarded the Ship SS Wisconsin as 'Steerage Passengers' heading to New York. John recorded his occupation as a labourer. They arrived in New York on the 10th of July 1890. Sarah and the rest of the children stayed behind and in the 1891 census she was still living in Pemberton with her children Elizabeth, Moses and James. It must have been difficult being separated from each other. In the same year, 1891, Sarah travelled with her three children Elizabeth, Moses and James to Liverpool and boarded the same Ship S.S Wisconsin as 'Steerage Passengers' heading to New York. They arrived in August 1891. In 1900 John lived in Johnson, Kane Utah with Sarah and their children Elizabeth Moses and James In 1910 John lived in Johnson, Kane Utah with Sarah and their son James In 1920 John lived in Alton, Kane Utah with Sarah and their son James On the 22 of September 1922 John and Sarah went to the Manti Utah Temple where they were endowed and sealed to each other. John was 83 years old, and Sarah 80 years old. 7 Years later on the 9th of November 1927 John passed away at Alton, Kane Utah at the age of 88. Sarah Passed way on the 28th of August 1928 at the age of 86.

Life timeline of Louise B Glover

Louise B Glover was born on 12 Jul 1863
Louise B Glover was 16 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Louise B Glover was 25 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Louise B Glover was 28 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Louise B Glover was 40 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Louise B Glover was 51 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Louise B Glover was 57 years old when The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Louise B Glover died on 23 Jun 1938 at the age of 74
Grave record for Louise B Glover (12 Jul 1863 - 23 Jun 1938), BillionGraves Record 45210828 Kanab, Kane, Utah, United States