Leah Taysom

1909 - 2004

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Leah Taysom

1909 - 2004
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Life Story of Leah Taysom Peterson I was born the night of February 14, 1909 the second child, first daughter of Joseph Taysom and Chloe Allred Taysom. My parents were living about 2 miles west of Afton, Wyoming in a log house on “Nield String”. They didn’t have a telephone and when mother tol
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Leah Taysom
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Leah Taysom


Timpanogos Memorial Gardens

1007 N 475 E
Orem, Utah, Utah
United States


June 5, 2011


June 2, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Leah...

We found more records about Leah Taysom.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Leah


Leah Taysom is buried in the Timpanogos Memorial Gardens at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life Story of Leah Chloe Taysom Peterson, written in her own hand, transcribed by her granddaughter, Cassie Astle

Contributor: crex Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Life Story of Leah Taysom Peterson I was born the night of February 14, 1909 the second child, first daughter of Joseph Taysom and Chloe Allred Taysom. My parents were living about 2 miles west of Afton, Wyoming in a log house on “Nield String”. They didn’t have a telephone and when mother told my dad the baby was coming, my dad hitched up a team of horses to a sleigh and went to bring his mother and to call the doctor from Grandma Taysom’s home. Mother was left alone with my brother Carl who was two years old. Things moved along faster tan they expected and I was born before help arrived. I remember mother telling me that she was afraid I was dead because I didn’t cry at all. She had a hard time to keep Carl from trying to take hold of me and as mother looked down at me, she saw two black eyes looking around. She knew I was alive. When Grandma Allred came in she quickly washed her hands and with the boiling water sterilized the scissors and soon had me all wrapped in a blanket as the doctor arrived to take over. I remember our Thanksgiving days. Always Mother’s family, all seven sisters and uncle Legrand and their families had Thanksgiving together. One sister Aunt Maud lived in Salt Lake. My what a jolly day- all the aunts, uncles and cousins mad a huge crowd. Everyone brought food and I remember one Thanksgiving after dinner I wanted to go to a cousins house to sleep. Dad said touching the back of a dining chair, “If you can jump over the back of this chair you may go.” I quickly jumped upon the chair seat and jumped over the chair - everyone agreed I had jumped over the back! I guess I was a tomboy. Always climbing, trees, barns etc. I must have started young as mother tells that before I was two at Christmas, I got a doll and little red chair. Mother walked into the dining room to find me sitting in the middle of the table holding my doll. She just couldn’t believe her eyes and quickly lifted me down. In a little while I was right back upon the table. She lifted me down, then watched me pull the little chair up to a chair, climb onto the chair, pull the little chair up, put it on the table and climb up. My son Jack was just such a climber! When I was in third grade, I had to stay in at recess for giggling. I was supposed to sit in my seat with my head on the desk. In just a few minutes someone came running in the room screaming, “Leah, Leah, your house is on fire.” I ran out of he room and down the steps. My brother Carl and sister Maud were standing on the steps. Maud was crying. Carl and I grabbed her hands and ran for home. It was 2 or 2 1/2 miles. Most of it through fields but we ran watching the flames in the air. When we got nearly there people were just standing watching - the roof and walls had all fallen in! Our parents met us and tried to comfort us. We didn’t have clothes or anything, only what we were wearing. At the time, Grandpa and Grandma Allred lived about a half block down the street from us in a big old house with a large “parlor” almost never used. We moved the furniture out of that room put up a stove and moved in there until a new house was built where the old one had stood. We hadn’t been tin the new house very long when Carl became ill and my sister Mae was born. Carl died soon after of sugar diabetes. My parents were heart broken and seemed unable to cope with losing their first born and son. It was a hard time as Mother withdrew and used to sit for hours alone with the door closed just rocking the baby (Mae). They didn’t want to stay in that house and soon bought my Grandpa Taysom’s house and farm down on “Nield string”. I attended Star Valley High School in Afton and loved to memorize and give readings. I gave a reading as a very little girl and in high school was in many school plays. We traveled to other towns and schools with our plays and speech contests. Some of the plays I remember were “The Blimp”, “The Whole Town’s Talking.” I was also in church activities and worked in Primary when I was 12. And held positions in the church from then on. I graduated from Star Valley High School in May 1928, and at that time they had a normal training course at the High School. I wanted more schooling so decided to take Normal as my parents couldn’t send me to Logan to college. Just after graduation from Star Valley High School in June, four girls, Mary and Martha Gardner - sisters, their cousin Olive Gardner and I decided to take a horse back trip up to the “geyser”, a cold water intermittent spring east of Afton, high in the mountains. The only way to get there was either walk or on horseback. Mary and Martha had to borrow horses from a relative in Grover, about 7 miles from Afton- north. Mary was leaving to work in Logan, UT and we were to have a last day together. We left in the morning with only a sandwich for our lunch as Mary and Martha were to have their horses returned to Grove by 4 o’clock in the afternoon. It was a beautiful day and we didn’t take coats. Olive wore a sweater. We took our time, laughing, talking and enjoying the spring flowers. We arrived at the “Geyser” and ate our sandwiches and watched he water recede down into the deep, deep rock cave. Then in about 20 min, a roar would start then the icy cold water came shooting up and poured over the rocks making a large stream of water. We decided we must be on our way to get the horses back to Grover on time. We started down the narrow trail and after a while we saw a trail going to the north and a sign which said 9 miles to Grover Park. We stopped and talked. “That looks like a really good trail and that’s lots closer than going back home then to Grover.” So we took the trail. We hadn’t gone far when our trail was very narrow and dim. Sometimes we couldn’t see a trail at all and soon it gave out completely. We kept going for some time hoping to find a trail. There wasn’t a sign! Soon we stopped and I said, “Kids, we are going the wrong direction.” Two of us agreed but two wanted to o the same way. We looked ahead to a high mountain and Mary said, “Let’s ride up there and look around/” The timber became so thick and fallen trees so big we could hardly get through and all we could see was more mountains and very thick timber. We started down and soon came to a very high steep shale mountain. No way to get over. We knew we were lost. At the base of the mountain we found a beautiful clear stream and we knew the stream would come out in the alley somewhere so we started to follow the stream. Soon it became so rugged and steep and rocks on both sides of the stream. Our horses would not follow the stream. We had led them part of the way. We took the bridles off the horses and tied them to the saddles and started on down, following the stream on foot. It was very steep, rocky and narrow in lots of places and we jumped from one side to the other. We were bruised, and dirty. We didn’t dare to leave the stream. We had no idea where we were. The sun went down and it grew dark very fast. We were cold and hungry. We came to a little ledge, quite flat above the stream and decided we had better stop until we could see again. Olive felt in her sweater pocket and found 2 matches and a sheet of notebook paper with a poem written on it. We gathered as many sticks and twigs as we could without leaving our little spot. We gathered round and tried to light a fire. The wind blew the first match out and with a prayer in our hearts, we struck the last match. The paper started to burn and carefully we sheltered it from the wind and had a fire. We sang songs and gathered wood until daylight began to break. Our wood was gone and our fire out. We started again down the stream bruised, dirty, smoky and very tired and hungry. Before the sun came up we came to a trail and could see where logs had been drug from the mountains. How good it was to walk on a path! Soon we came to a road and the canyon widened. We followed the road and came to a logging camp. Horses were tied up and some wagons and two tents. No one was stirring and we quietly slipped by the camp. About the time the sun began to peek over the mountains we came onto a bench and below us was a valley! Just a small little village and we didn’t know where we were. We walked down to someone’s house. No one was up and we walked a little further. A man came out of a house and we asked if we could use their telephone. He sleepily looked at us and said, “You must be the four girls lost in Swift Creek Canyon! The whole valley is out looking for you!” He told us there was no telephone in Turnerville, our first time to be in Turnerville. We asked where the nearest telephone was and he said the Bedford Creamery. Another fellow, a Mr. Merritt came along and said he would take us to the creamery. We piled in his old Ford and when we got to the Bedford Creamery, the manger was just coming to open the building. We decided to call Olive’s folks, they lived just by the mouth of Swift Creek Canyon. We got the operator and she called. We said we were alright and had gathered there for word. Mr. Merritt took us in his car to Grover Park where a group of hunters were. Our parents came there and we were all safe. Hunters had found our horses and feared that sheep herders in the mountains had taken us. It was 3 o’clock int he afternoon when I got home! Had a good meal and a hot bath and slept - went to a dance that night- we were the center of attraction! After Normal training that year and summer school in Logan at Utah State, then called Utah Agricultural College, I signed a contract to teach 1 and 2nd grade in Thayne. I was also to teach sewing to the Junior High School girls who were all larger than I and not much younger. Roscoe Titmsor was the principal and LaVern Handy Anderson taught there. Vere Handy and I both “roomed” at the Charley Stoker home. What wonderful people they were! We had a great time. One day about noon, Mr. And Mrs George Hale came in their car from Afton with word that they had permission to take me to Afton for a parade and the Lincoln County fair. I had been chosen as “queen” to represent Star Valley! The queen was crowned at the Saturday night dance. Two years in a row I was Lincoln County Fair Queen. Each year each ward chose a girl to represent the ward, like Gold and Green ball. Then at the stake ball at Welches Hall in Afton, the one who got the most votes was Stake queen. And I was chosen from Afton South Ward 2 or 3 years and was Stake Queen. It was exciting and fun. We had such fun - dancing. We went from one end of the valley to the other - always dancing with everyone. What great times we had and what wonderful friends. I went to Laramie the next summer to summer school. Ann Wolfley and I roomed together. George L. Bruce and his wife Winona went there for summer school also and they were so good to Ann and me and took us many places . We went to Denver one weekend. To Cheyenne, Snowy ridge etc. That fall I taught 1 and 2 grades at Smoot, Wyoming and George L Bruce was the principal there. I taught 2 years there and stayed at George L and Winona’s place with Winona’s sister Rowena.

Life timeline of Leah Taysom

Leah Taysom was born in 1909
Leah Taysom was 8 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Leah Taysom was 19 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Leah Taysom was 30 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Leah Taysom was 36 years old when World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: The Japanese Instrument of Surrender is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. The Pacific War, sometimes called the Asia-Pacific War, was the theater of World War II that was fought in the Pacific and Asia. It was fought over a vast area that included the Pacific Ocean and islands, the South West Pacific, South-East Asia, and in China.
Leah Taysom was 46 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Leah Taysom was 60 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Leah Taysom was 63 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Leah Taysom was 80 years old when The tanker Exxon Valdez spilled 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; 41,000 m3) of oil into Prince William Sound, Alaska, causing one of the most devastating man-made maritime environmental disasters. A tanker is a ship designed to transport or store liquids or gases in bulk. Major types of tankship include the oil tanker, the chemical tanker, and gas carrier. Tankers also carry commodities such as vegetable oils, molasses and wine. In the United States Navy and Military Sealift Command, a tanker used to refuel other ships is called an oiler but many other navies use the terms tanker and replenishment tanker.
Leah Taysom was 81 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Leah Taysom died in 2004 at the age of 95
Grave record for Leah Taysom (1909 - 2004), BillionGraves Record 10131 Orem, Utah, Utah, United States