Leah M. Taylor (Carter)

3 Sep 1904 - 31 Dec 1987


Leah M. Taylor (Carter)

3 Sep 1904 - 31 Dec 1987
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Leah Taylor is daughter of William Henry and Kate Wilmore Carter. Her father was born in Lemington, Shropshire, England on March 7, 1866. When 2 years old, he was brought to America by his mother arriving December 4, 1868. His mother met George Carter and they were married in 1869. He was sealed to
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Leah M. Taylor (Carter)
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Leah M. Taylor (Carter)

Married: 5 Feb 1937

Dayton Cemetery

Highway 36
Dayton, Franklin, Idaho
United States


September 24, 2013


September 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Leah M....

We found more records about Leah M. Taylor (Carter).


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Leah M.


Leah M. Taylor (Carter) is buried in the Dayton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life History of Leah Carter Taylor

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Leah Taylor is daughter of William Henry and Kate Wilmore Carter. Her father was born in Lemington, Shropshire, England on March 7, 1866. When 2 years old, he was brought to America by his mother arriving December 4, 1868. His mother met George Carter and they were married in 1869. He was sealed to his father in February of 1924. None of us know the real story of his real father. We do know that he did temple work for a Richard Parrish and had it recorded in the family history and kept it until his death. In his young life, he began to work as a section hand, and then went from that job to actual work as a railroad fireman and engineer as was the case of most railroad men. He did not function in the church. In 1898 he had a very serious accident in which his foot was caught between the engine and a car in a switch. the leg had to be taken off just below the knee. He spent the rest of his life with an artificial leg. His life was nearly taken from gangreen, but through the power of administration, his life was saved. From that time on, he spent his life in service of the church. When he was a child, his mother and father moved to Nephi, Utah, and that is where he lived until his father began to work on the railroad, and he began work on the section. I think I must tell you the about my mother, so that the story of their meeting can be told. Mother was born in Birmingham, England, on October 28, 1862. She left England for America with a company of immigrants on October 26, 188. She was only 21, and brought her 7 year old brother Alfred with her. I was never told this, but her mother died in the year of 1881, so I imagine that because she was the oldest in the family, that she took the responsibility of raising him. He lived in our home until he was married and had a home of his own. My mother came to Logan, UT, because she had relatives here. She finally became employed in a hotel in Battle Creek, ID, in 1884. Battle Creek at that time was a railroad center. It was there that she met and married Father on September 1, 1886. Because of his job, they moved to Ogden, UT, and Salt Lake City for a number of years. While living in Battle Creek, their first daughter Clara Mae was born, and also Francis Louise (Madge). After they moved to Ogden, Ernest was born. They moved back to Preston, ID, in 1898 and my brother Jesse was born. They then moved back to Ogden, where my brother George was born, and Kate was born in Salt Lake. You can imagine how hard it was for them to move so often. In 1898, they moved back to Preston, ID. Because of the accident to his leg, he was given the job of taking care of the engines over night and clening the coaches for them to return to Salt Lake the next day. They had a daughter, Emma Ada, born in Preston in 1900. She lived until five years old, dying of measles. I was born in 1904, and was not one year old when she passed away. In 1898, Father and Mother were sealed, and the family were sealed to them. Father and Mother were very active in the church. Father was ward clerk for 25 years in the Preston 2nd ward, serving under four different bishops. Mother was secretary in the relief society besides helping Dr. cutler in childbirth of many babies born in the ward. When Father made the change in his life, back in 1900, he spent his time in church activities. He was sustained as secretary to the first quorum of elders, and was called as a ward teacher, and as ward clerk in February, 1910, serving for 25 years. When he was released as ward clerk, he was appointed to the stake genealogical society. His temple work was from May 1, 1930 until 1952. When they were expecting me, they thought I would be a boy, and Father picked the name of Parley for me. Well, when I was a girl, they gave me the name of Leah Maud Carter. Mother had eight children and took her brother and a grandson to raise with us. After Mother's death in 1930, Father retired from the railroad on a pension, and he went into the Logan temple until his health failed and he came to live in my home. He lived there until February 1953, when he passed away. My life began September 3, 1904, in Preston, Idaho. I was the last of eight children born to William Henry Carter and Kate Willmore Carter. I had three sisters. They were Clara Mae, Francis Louise (Madge), and Kate Irene. The boys, in order of their ages, were, Ernest, Jessie and George. I had one little sister, ada, who died shortly after I was born. Mother also raised a granson who was two years younger than me. We lived in Preston, and never moved to other places, as they had prior to when I was born. Father had two houses then, in Preston. One, a frame house, and the other a red-brick home. I can remember living in the two houses. When I was very small, we lived in the red brick one, and I can remember we had one long room on the west side of the house. It had a huge table in there, and yet I can't remember eating any of our meals there. Our kitchen was on the east side of the house. I can remember we had a milk seperator, and a long table in there, and I used to get up on that table and run back and forth, until one day I happened to fall off and crack my head on the ol seperator. I can't remember ever getting my exercises on that table any more. I guess my life, as a child, was just as any child in a family growing up. There were quite a number of girls in the neighborhood, and when we didn't have work to do, there were plenty of homes to visit and games to play until we were called home for our meals. Of course there were spells of neighborhood diseases such as measles, mumps, and chicken pox, which seemed to be passed around the children. One time there was a spread of scarlet fever in the schools, and my sister Mae happened to be teaching school over in Weston canyon. The kids in her class all seemed to get it, and so, when my sister came home for the weekend, the police came and placed a quarantine on our home. We were not able to leave the place. None of us got the scarlet fever, and with eight of us shut in, it was a nightmare. Dad thought that he would relieve Mother of some of the rough-housing, so he went and bought us our first phonograph and a bunch of records. Believe me, it was used plenty, and it did relieve Mother of some of the tension that she was under. That was an awful long fourteen days. We used to spend a lot of our summer at Battle Creek. The boys were sent there to run the farm, and or course, Mother had to be there to feed them. Mother used to like to go fishing in the Bear River, and she would take me along. That was not so much fun for me, because I had to be too quiet, but we got by some way. I never tried to fish. I never go by Bear River, but what I think of fishing. I think I must tell you about some of the Halloweens we had when our family was at home. Our home was not far from town, and a lot of people passed by on the way to shop and to see the things that went on in town. Well, this one Halloween, my two brothers made a stuffed man by stuffing a pair of overalls, and what did they plan on doing with it? Well, they wanted to give someone a good scare. Just close to the front fence was a huge tree, and they climbed up there with the dummy and waited. Not long after they got up there, one of our neighbor ladies came along the sidewalk, and as she got under the tree, down came the dummy straddle of her neck. Of course, there was plenty of explaining to be done. Another Halloween day, the boys became upset when a group of fellows on horses were racing across our lot, and the neighbors. They got out and chased them way to the end of the block, and then hurried back and placed a derrick rope across the street about halfway up the block. Then they went back down through the block and chased them back, and had a barrel of fun when they hit the rope and fell on the ground in every direction. I wish I had been encouraged to keep a personal daily journal, but I guess, or in fact, I know, that Mother was kept busy taking care of eight young ones who lived there after some of them were married and had families of their own. The problems with their children made her feel that she had added responsibility as problems arose in their homes.

Kate Willmore Carter Life History

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Kate Willmore Carter was born 28 October 1862 in Brimingham, Warwickshire, England to Thomas willmore and Louisa Baldwin. Kate was a very small lady as far as height and weight, but a very great lady in service and love of others. She only weighed about 95 pounds and was about 5 feet tall. She came to the United States from England, and she brought with her a 7 year old brother, Alfred Ernest Willmore. She came to Utah, and then on to Battle Creek, Idaho. Here she obtained a job working for George Paul in a Hotel and Cafe that was in Battle Creek at the time. This was where the Railroad came into. (It was before Preston was a town.) This was where she met william H. Carter, who was employed by the railroad. He was also from England, and had come to this country with his mother Francis (Fannie) Brown and his Grandmother Francis Saxton Brown on the Boat "Colorado" at the age of 2. (He is listed as Harry Brown on the boat records.) It wasn't long before this young couple fell in love and started making plans for marriage. they were married on 1 September 1886 in Battle Creek and they were later married in Salt Lake Temple on 9 February 1898. They had saved $20.00 to get married on, but instead of using this to get the things they needed to set up housekeeping, they spent the entire amount on a Wedding Party for their friends. They then had no money to buy needed items, and Grandmother told of sewing up material for a mattress and pillows and gathering cattails and opening them and putting them in for the stuffing. Grandma Carter was always a good cook, and it was said by everyone that no one could make pickles taste like she did. Also, her bread was unsurpassed in texture and taste. She made 8 loaves of bread each day for her family and neighbors and really loved her work. Grandma Carter helped with the ill in and around Preston, and was called upon day and night to care for those in need. She also helped Dr. Allen Cutler, deliver babies, and then she would remain and stay a few days with the mother. Her son Ernest said that many mornings when they got out of bed, they would find a note telling of her being somewhere helping those in need. Aunt Leah also remembers this, and that her mother always had many home remedies for treating those that were ill. She recalls onion poultices and mustard packs for colds and earaches that really worked almost as well as many of our new remedies. Kate and William were blessed with 4 boys and 4 girls and they loved and enjoyed each of them. They also raised a Granson LeRoy (Jack) Carter, a son of Francis Louisa (Madge) Elwell. These boys delighted in giving this little Mom of theirs a bad time. She would call and call them in the mornings to get up, and they'd just lay and laugh. Then she would go into their room and try to hit them with a broom, but they would grab hold of the other end and run this poor little lady all over the room. But when Grandpa Carter got tired of all their play and he called, up they got, because they knew the second call was a bucket of water right in bed on them. Many times she displayed her great love for her family, and even their families, by helping at all times when they needed her. Anna Carter said, whenever there was sickness or new babies coming, Grandma Carter was always there, working day and night. At one time, May and Jarve Henderson lost their home by a fire, and it was in the middle of the winter, and she insisted on their bringing their children and coming home with her. Then a few weeks later, Kate and Gilbert (Gib) Stokes had some trouble, and he lost his job, and she again insisted they come home with their families also. They fed 18 people all winter, and never a word of unhappiness or complaining did she do. Grandma Carter was never found sitting down. She worked hard caring for her large family and many neighbors. It was said that she never stopped going. She never walked anywhere, but always was on a run. She never even felt that she had time to sit down and tie her shoelaces, and often she hurried up the street with her laces flying in the wind. She loved to fish, and after they moved into Preston, and she would come back to Battle Creek where their farm was, she would head for the river to get her a batch of fish. Aunt Leah, being the youngest, often went along, and she can remember having to sit perfectly still and be quiet, and how glad she was when they could go back to the house. She also not only loved to catch the fish, but loved to cook and eat them also. She always had a good word for and about everyone. She did not gossip, and loved all people that she met. She felt then she could be of service to more people. Often, she would take things she had planned for her own family evening meal to those that she felt needed it more. She was never one to display anger and at all times and in all situations she had complete control. She was ill for many months before her death, but she still insisted on doing her own work. The last time she tried getting out of bed 4 or 5 times before she gave in to being taken care of. The last month before she died, sisters in the Relief Society would take turns and come and stay all night with her. People loved her so dearly, and she was never left alone in her hour of need. Grandpa and Grandma Carter had a really good orchard in Battle Creek for many years, and as people traveled back and forth to Preston, Winder or Banida, many of them would stop and snitch apples to eat on their way. One day, Ray Bright and Earl Corbridge stopped to snitch a few to eat, and as they were picking some, out ran Grandma Carter yelling at them. "Come over here, these are bigger and better ones." This was the way she and Grandpa were - what they had they loved, and loved to share with others.

Life timeline of Leah M. Taylor (Carter)

Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was born on 3 Sep 1904
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 8 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 24 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 35 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 41 years old when World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. Thirty-five thousand people are killed outright, including 23,200-28,200 Japanese war workers, 2,000 Korean forced workers, and 150 Japanese soldiers. Nagasaki is the capital and the largest city of Nagasaki Prefecture on the island of Kyushu in Japan. The city's name, 長崎, means "long cape" in Japanese. Nagasaki became a centre of colonial Portuguese and Dutch influence in the 16th through 19th centuries, and the Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region have been recognized and included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Part of Nagasaki was home to a major Imperial Japanese Navy base during the First Sino-Japanese War and Russo-Japanese War.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 53 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 61 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) was 73 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
See More
Leah M. Taylor (Carter) died on 31 Dec 1987 at the age of 83
Grave record for Leah M. Taylor (Carter) (3 Sep 1904 - 31 Dec 1987), BillionGraves Record 5269745 Dayton, Franklin, Idaho, United States