LeRoy Archibald

15 Mar 1893 - 9 Feb 1975


LeRoy Archibald

15 Mar 1893 - 9 Feb 1975
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Susan A. Archibald’s History of her Family ca. 1983-84 My name is Susan Jensen Alder (Archibald). I am the fourth daughter and the seventh child born to my parents, Alfred William and Sarah Christina Jensen Alder. I was born in a home built on a 160-acre farm two miles east of Preston (now) Frankl
Register to get full access to the grave site record of LeRoy Archibald
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

LeRoy Archibald

Married: 5 Jun 1919

Dayton Cemetery

Highway 36
Dayton, Franklin, Idaho
United States


September 23, 2013


September 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about LeRoy...

We found more records about LeRoy Archibald.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of LeRoy


LeRoy Archibald is buried in the Dayton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Susan Alder Archibald

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Susan A. Archibald’s History of her Family ca. 1983-84 My name is Susan Jensen Alder (Archibald). I am the fourth daughter and the seventh child born to my parents, Alfred William and Sarah Christina Jensen Alder. I was born in a home built on a 160-acre farm two miles east of Preston (now) Franklin County, Idaho. I was born on the 20th day of July 1897. During my early childhood I played around this home with my brothers, sisters and visiting cousins. I attended grammar school in a one-room school house located close to our home. They only taught seven grades in this school. However, when I had completed my seventh grade, my father became very ill and it was necessary for me to live with relatives in Preston while my mother took him to Salt Lake City for treatment. It was thought that as I was coming from such a small school and entering a much larger better-graded school that it would be wise for me to spend one half the year in the seventh grade then pass into the eighth for the second half. I knew the seventh grade material well. I never had to open a book. But the promotion at mid-year never took place. So one year of schooling was lost. My eighth grade I attended the Whitney School. This was possible because the south 80 acres of our farm was in the Whitney District. After graduating from the eighth grade, I went to the Oneida Stake Academy for my high school education. This was an LDS school at the time. The Church had built and supported many such schools here in the West in order to assure educational opportunities for their youth. Later these schools were deeded to the pubic school system. I started working at the office of Dr. Allen R. Cutler Sr. after my first year at high school. The next year, the frost took most of the crops on the farm. My brother, Alfred, was on a mission so the family asked me to continue working to help out with the added expense of supporting a missionary. The next year I started back to school again but continued to work for Dr. Cutler after school and on Saturdays. I completed high school graduating in the spring of 1917. That summer I attended summer school at Albion, Idaho, and obtained a teacher's certificate. In the fall I was offered a position teaching the third and fourth grades in the Dayton Elementary School and I accepted. I roomed with my co-teacher at the home of Sister Phillips. Here I met LeRoy Archibald whom I would later marry. He was a member of the bishopric at the time and had just recently filled a mission to the Southern States under President Samuel 0. Bennion. We would have been married in the spring of 1918 but he was drafted and served in the 145th Field Artillery in World War I. Our marriage was postponed for one year. The next year I taught in the Preston Eastside District. This was the year of the terrible flu epidemic that killed many. LeRoy returned from the army in January 1919 and we were married on the 5th of June 1919. Our home was a one-room log cabin. Leroy, our oldest child and only son, was born the 26th of February 1920. He was only eight months old when they came and ask me to take a position in the Dayton Grade School. The school was overcrowded and they needed an extra teacher. We were very happy for the opportunity as a severe depression was on and LeRoy was unable to find work. I continued to teach for four years. LeRoy regretted the fact that he had never completed his education and was determined to do so. I took him through the 7th and 8th grade material and he took the state examinations and then entered high school. Most of his high school was taken while I was teaching. He completed the four-year course in three years and graduated while I was in bed with LuDean. She was born the 21 May 1925. We were still in our one-room log cabin. That fall LeRoy attended college at Pocatello, Idaho. Here is where LuDean lost her hand. After one year at Pocatello, LeRoy was offered a position at Mapleton, Idaho. He taught here two years 1926-7 and 1927-28. Nelda, our second daughter, was born 22nd of April 1927. School was just out and we didn't quite get moved home so she was born at her Aunt Myrtle Dixon's home in Preston, Idaho. The Dayton trustees had ask LeRoy to be the principal of the Dayton Grade School so we moved back home to stay. The Bishop, George Griffeth, asked me to be President of the Relief Society which position I held for four years. Then my health became so poor I had to ask for a release (1928-33) Our third daughter, Janeen, was born the 21 of February 1931. She seemed to be a very healthy baby at birth but something struck the baby and myself on the 8th day. I recovered but she never did. The doctors were unable to help her and she passed away at eleven months. Our last child, Yovonne, was born the 15th of January 1934. My health became quite poor before her birth and became very poor after. The doctors finally decided I had a goiter and I was operated on in 1936 but I was a semi-invalid for about ten years. But by the summer of 1945 I had recovered enough to accompany LeRoy and my family to California and work in the war plants. This was during World War II. When we returned to Dayton that fall one of the teachers died suddenly and I was asked to fill her place. I continued to teach until 1961. LeRoy was released from the bishopric when he went to school in Pocatello. After his return he was made a high councilman. He was Superintendent of the Westside School for one year and continued in the grade schools until 1958 when he retired. The family continued in education until we all completed college. LeRoy his 5th year and Susan almost. In 1956 LeRoy was called to officiate in the Logan Temple and in the fall of 1961 we were called on a mission to the New England States. From November to April 1st we spent in Rutland and from then until November 1964 we spent at the birthplace of the Prophet Joseph Smith at South Royalton, Vermont. After our return LeRoy again became an officiator at the temple and I joined him as an officiator in the spring of 1965. We continued in this capacity until the fall of 1974. LeRoy's health had commenced to fail by this time and by the 9th of February 1975 he passed away. I have always been active in temple work and genealogy and church work. Some of the positions I have held are: Relief Society Treasurer, Primary Secretary, a teacher in all the organizations, counselor in MIA, ward Relief Society President, and a counselor in the Stake Relief Society. Our son, Leroy started school in Mapleton. He learned readily and could read before he started school. They gave him a special promotion without telling us anything about it. So at the end of the two years in Mapleton he was assigned to the fourth grade. He finished his grade school in Dayton. He started carrying a newspaper route at eleven and was able to support himself from this income. He was very talented - had a beautiful singing voice, had a good understanding of music and was good in speaking and writing. Three years of his high school was taken in Preston and the fourth year in Weston. He worked in the Preston J. C. Penny Store as an extra and was well liked there. In 1941 he was called on a mission to the North Eastern states. On his return he married Eda Alene Hansen. She had one child, Edwin Leroy, and then they were divorced. He came back to Dayton and taught two years in the grade school. He then married Ardell Griffeth. To them were born nine children: Leron G, Rodney Kay, Rozetta, Lynette, Sandra, Ilona, Alden G., Kayelene and Renita. He has filled many positions in the Church. He worked in the Seventies as one of the presidents for many years. John Longden when setting him apart said tens of thousands would enjoy the blessings of the Gospel because of his work. He was a counselor to the bishop when they remodeled their church and now is an officiator in the Salt Lake Temple. Two of his children have filled missions. Rozetta was in Australia. Alden was in England. LuDean received her grade school education in Dayton and her high school in Preston. She worked in the war plants in Ogden for one year. Then she came to Logan and took some college work. In the summer of 1945 when the family went to California she and Nelda worked at the Presidio for the summer. She then went on a mission to Mexico while her boy friend, Vance Campbell, went to the South Eastern States. When they returned from their missions they were married. They have five children: Kathy Mabel, Susan Kay, Karen, Kristine, and Gary Vance. Kristine filled a mission in France. LuDean has been a counselor in the Relief Society presidency twice and has been a Relief Society President. She has also served on the MIA Stake board as Beehive Leader and secretary. She has served as a member of the Stake Primary Board, as ward president, and teacher. At present she is serving on the Stake Relief Society Board. Nelda received her elementary education in Dayton and her high school in Preston. She was valedictorian from her eighth-grade graduating class. Her special talent is art. She was married to Leo D. Page and they are the parents of ten children: Leo Kent, Gregg A., Fawn, Ivan A., Janeen, Jacqueline, Todd A., Teressa, Bradley A., and Traci. Fawn, Todd, and Bradley passed away as infants. They have lived in New Mexico, Texas, Idaho and Arizona. Three of the boys have filled missions: Kent in Canada, Gregg in Italy, and Ivan in Australia. Nelda has been a ward Relief Society president twice, a counselor in a ward presidency, and a stake Relief Society president. She has been a teacher in all the organizations and a counselor in the Primary organization. Yovonne received her elementary education and high school education in Dayton. She attended college at Utah State University at Logan. There she met Lane R. Pendleton. She graduated in the spring of 1956 and she and Lane were married the 6 of September 1956. They have always made their home in California. They have four children, Jannette Susan, Judith Yovonne (married Scott Catherall), Michael Lane, and Jolene Marie. Music has always been her special interest. She has always held positions in this field in the stake and ward. She was on the Relief Society stake Board and is currently a counselor in the ward Relief Society. All the family has completed a college education [at Utah State University]: LeRoy, Leroy, LuDean, Nelda, and Leo in 1950. Susan and Vance 1952, Yovonne and Lane 1956.

Life timeline of LeRoy Archibald

LeRoy Archibald was born on 15 Mar 1893
LeRoy Archibald was 13 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
LeRoy Archibald was 19 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
LeRoy Archibald was 37 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
LeRoy Archibald was 46 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
LeRoy Archibald was 52 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
LeRoy Archibald was 65 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
LeRoy Archibald was 72 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
LeRoy Archibald died on 9 Feb 1975 at the age of 81
Grave record for LeRoy Archibald (15 Mar 1893 - 9 Feb 1975), BillionGraves Record 5243115 Dayton, Franklin, Idaho, United States