Laverne Belnap

21 Feb 1899 - 1 Feb 1922

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Laverne Belnap

21 Feb 1899 - 1 Feb 1922
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Crystle Fern Belnap Fowers may have wrote the following: Memories of Early Pioneer Life at Hooper by Fern B. Fowers 'The house we lived in was a two-story building with two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. The ceiling so low upstairs that an adult could almost touch it with his head, and the

Life Information

Laverne Belnap


Hooper Cemetery

5500 S 6300 W
Hooper, Weber, Utah
United States




January 6, 2012


January 6, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Laverne


Laverne Belnap is buried in the Hooper Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Pioneer Life in Hooper

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Crystle Fern Belnap Fowers may have wrote the following: Memories of Early Pioneer Life at Hooper by Fern B. Fowers "The house we lived in was a two-story building with two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. The ceiling so low upstairs that an adult could almost touch it with his head, and the sides sloped to about four ft. high on the sides. A Summer kitchen was on the north, back of the house. This was built with boards nailed straight up and down with a compo-board type material in between the boards, also a board floor covered only with a braided rug. This kitchen contained a cook stove and kitchen table and chairs; a cupboard covered with screen wire doors at the bottom and curtained at the top; a bench covered with oil cloth; a wash basin and a bucket of water. This was just for summer alone. It was always a thrill to move out to the summer kitchen. There was one big summer project to get and keep the flies out twice or more each day. We would all get a cloth and shoo the flies out the door, while one stayed at the screen door to open and shut it as we would get the flies to the door. The big thrill was when int he fall we moved back into the house. The carpet was a rag, homemade carpet. The rags were all torn out of worn out clothing into strips about three-fourths inches wide and sewn together end-to-end, mostly by hand, and wound into balls which were supposed to weigh about a pound each. If it weighed a full pound, it would make a yard of carpet. Sometimes, my mother would have a sewing bee and would invite several women to come in and help her sew the rags which were previously washed and torn. She would empty the sack of torn rags in the middle of the floor, and it was sometimes Laverne's and my job to mix all the rags so there would not be all of one color in one place, and the colors would be uniform all over the carpet. After the rags were sewn and wound into balls, they were taken to the weaver, and there on a hand loom were woven into yards and yards of carpet. When the capet was brought home, it was ll in one roll about a yard wide. It was cut into strips and sewed together with double thread which always had to be waxed with home-made bee's wax. The ends were always bound with heavy denim from old overalls. I thought it made a beautiful carpet. The old carpet was taken up, having been tacked down all next to the wall with carpet tackes. It would be my jov to pull the tacks outa dn put them in a dish to save to fhte new carpet. Then the old carpet would be folded up and teknd outside. Underneath the carpet they would lay straw, so by the time it had been down six months or a year, the straw was almost pulverized, and the dirt had sifted through, for the carpet had only been swept with a broom. It was a task for all of us to clean the room out. The pictures had to be taken down from the walls and cleaned and put it the bedroom. The furniture had to be all taken out, too. Mother would open all the doors and window, and then sweep the straw into piles, and we would put it into a tin tub and carry it out to be burned. Then father would dig down in the ground where he had a lime pit, put the lime into a bucket, Pour water on it, and it was called slacked. The water would boil furiously. It was then poured into another container, more water added to make it a bluish white. The walls and ceiling were all dusted down with a cloth on a broom; then it was ready to have a reconditioned job. Then father took the bucket of water and lime mixture which they called "white-wash", and a long-handled white brush and the walls and ceiling were painted with it. When it was dry, they were the most beautiful walls in the world. The windows were all washed and shined, and the woodwork scrubbed and left to dry while father went out north (to the farm) to get a load of straw to put under the new carpet. It was carefully put down into the room and spread evenly over the floor. Then that beautiful new carpet was unfolded and placed over the top of the straw. It seemed a wonderful accomplishment to me to see how my father could stretch and tack that carpet as we watched from the doorway, as we were never allowed in the room until it was finished. But when it was all finished, the shiny black had been brought back from the summer kitchen, and all those beautiful clean starchy curtains hung at the window; it was the most beautiful place on earth. The straw crushing under our feet, the fire glowing on the hearth, and the smell of frying fresh pork, hot biscuits, and milk gravy (mother could make the best gravy) will be one of my most treasured memories." pp. 217-219, History of Hooper, Utah: Land of Beautiful Sunsets by John M. Belnap

Life timeline of Laverne Belnap

Laverne Belnap was born on 21 Feb 1899
Laverne Belnap was 5 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Laverne Belnap was 18 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
Laverne Belnap died on 1 Feb 1922 at the age of 22
Grave record for Laverne Belnap (21 Feb 1899 - 1 Feb 1922), BillionGraves Record 568192 Hooper, Weber, Utah, United States