Laura Toland

23 Jul 1905 - 10 Apr 1988


Laura Toland

23 Jul 1905 - 10 Apr 1988
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Laura Toland (23 Jul 1905 - 10 Apr 1988) at Spanish Fork City Cemetery in Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Laura Toland
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Laura Toland


Spanish Fork City Cemetery

Cemetery Roads
Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah
United States

Karen Cutter

May 29, 2011


May 25, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Laura...

We found more records about Laura Toland.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Laura


Laura Toland is buried in the Spanish Fork City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Laura Braithwaite Toland

Contributor: Karen Cutter Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

I was born in Spanish Fork, Utah 23 July 1905, the fourth child of Lyness Roland Braithwaite and Anne Christine Larsen Bouberg, residing at the time in a house belonging to Bennie Richie's parents who later on sold the home. It was and Adobe house having two bedrooms. The house was located in the Southeast part of Spanish Fork, Utah. My parents were living in Manti, Utah where they met, and were married, first in a civil ceremony because my Father's sister Elenor wanted him and my mother to wait until she could go to the Temple with them, as her husband(civil) Theo Dedrickson was inactive and was not able to got to the Temple, and be sealed for all time and eternity. So my mother and Dad waited and waited. My Mother and Father got tired waiting and finally went to the Tempe to be sealed. They were sealed in the Manti Temple and later on they moved to Spanish Fork, Utah, after their first child, a son named Eugene, was born. Wallace Ira was the next child, then Lilly Lucile, then Laura, Myrtle followed, after which cam Leonard, who was a blue baby. I remember how the Doctor had to turn him upside down and spank him, trying to get him to cry. We all watched and waited, finally, he began to cry-- I knew he was going to be all right then. When Leonard was still a baby, my parents moved up to Spool-Gate Johnstons' home. My father bought the home. It was a nice brick home, with three bedrooms upstairs and one down stairs. It had a nice big Parlor and entry hall, a big dining room and nice hand kitchen, and outside cellar to put the jars of fruit and vegetables to store for winter months. Also a potato pit to put our potatoes in so they would keep until Spring. Onions and vegetables and apples were stored for us to eat and to cook, also carrots and turnips, too. We planted parsnips to grow for Spring digging to cook, also they were so good to eat. We had a big yard with fruit trees of all kinds, and a big garden spot with peas planted in it, potatoes an all vegetable that were good to eat. Red beets were canned in two quart bottles, pickles canned too, and corn and strignbeans. Parsley was planted and garlic for cooking in stews and salads. Lettuce was also planted and squash, to cook and also for pumpkin pies. Mother made chow chow pickles. Oh, it was so good and her Dill pickles were good, and her sweet pickles delicious also, and bread and butter pickles, so tasty. Mother canned peaches, pears, apples for apple sauce, and cherries, also plums for jam and jellies. Raspberries and all kind of juices; Tomato, Grape, and mustard pickles, too. Dad had a big corral to keep his horses, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, pigeons and rabbits in. He made pens for the rabbit and pigs, a coop for the chickens, a loft over the chicken coop for the pigeons and a place for the turkeys to roost on at night. Dad had milking cows, so we had plenty of milk to drink and cream to Mother mad good pies and cakes and she also made good bread and rolls, cinnamon rolls, cookies, doughnuts, and so many good deserts. My Mother always made head cheese when I was small. I remember she had my father cut the pigs head off after it was scalded and cleaned really good and the meat cut off the bones in small pieces. She would cook it real good and grind some of it up and mix the meat with different seasonings and herbs. I am not sure what else she put in, or added to it after it had been mixed well and cooked good, it was put in a big round pan to cook real good and then she put it in a cool place to store for us to use and eat. It lasted quite a while. My mother would slice it and put it on the table with other foods, oh it was so good. My mother made good mince meat for pies, she made at Thanksgiving time and for Christmas and other occasions. I learned to make many of the foods my Mother made, and I was glad I was able to learn to cook like she did. I will never forget the good food she cooked for us. I remember the good pigeon pie she used to make when Dad would kill pigeons for her to make the pie, it was really good, same as all the food she used to cook and serve to us. My Dad and Mother had chickens so we would have plenty of eggs to eat. Dad would kill the chickens for mother to cook. My Dad would lay the head of the chicken over a block of wood, then chop its head off. We weren't afraid when a chicken was killed, because we knew we would have something good to eat. They would stick the chicken in scalding water, then we kids would pull the feathers off the chicken and Dad would finish cleaning the chicken for Mother by removing the insides by opening the end of the chicken up, then cut the chicken up in pieces and put it in a kettle with water and cook it until it was well done. Maybe Mother would make home made noodles to cook in the soupy part and that was delicious. The pigs and beef cattle were used for winter meat to eat. Dad used to kill the pig and put it in a barrel of scalding water, heated in a big boiler my mother used to heat water in to wash clothes. Dad put this boiling water that had heated over rocks or iron rods, in the boiler. Then they (my dad and brothers) would put the water in the barrel, as much as was necessary to put the pig into and the boys and my dad would dash the pig up and down quick to get it cleaned good. Then they would lay the pig down when they pulled it out of the water on a bench or a board to scrape the hair all off the pig. Then they would was the pig nice and clean it. Then they would hang it up under a high thing by ropes until it was cool. Then the pig would be slit open in the front of the pig, and the intestines, heart, liver, and all was removed and the pig based clean. Even the intestines were washed real clean and then they were used to stuff sausage in, that had been made. There were eight of us children along with mother and dad to feed in our family, so we needed lots of food. We were always fed real well. There were flat stoves, that could be set outside to heat water on, and was used sometimes to cook on. While living in that house Harold and Elmo were born. Elmo was still real small when we moved out of the nice big brick home and bought another big brick home in Spanish Fork in the same area. It was a nice place. We like it, but Dad wasn't satisfied there, so he bought another fairly new nice place with lawn, fruit trees, hay, oats and wheat. He used to bail hay in Spanish Fork to get extra money. This place had forty acres. Then he bought another eighty acres for grain, beets, wheat, oats, and whatever he could. He had lucern, too. This place was in Genola, down below Santaquin and Payson, southwest of them. I used to have to go to Santaquin in a horse and buggy and put a barrel in the back, and I would have to go up to get the water for cooking and drinking, because the water in that place was not good, because of the cess-pool. They had dug holes and put boards over them and the water would settle and get clear and we could use it for washing and things. This was before I graduated from the eighth grade. We all took turns doing it but I would go alone. I remember sometimes I would pass by others, who were doing the same thing. It was about six miles away from our place. Before we moved form Spanish Fork, I attended a little school, the first grade but I can't remember its name. Then there was Central, Reese, Thurber, and I finished grade school in Genola. Mrs. Gore was one of our teachers and she sure was a good teacher. After I graduated from the 8th grade, I went to Payson High School. The teacher I remember most was Elmo Coffman, he was a good teacher. I stayed at Eugenes and Ruby's to go to High School in Payson because there wasn't a high school in Genola. I used to help my Dad stack hay, thin beets, stack grain, and shuck wheat. I would help him bale the hay and we would help him thread the wire trough the baler. We would get so we could tie the wires and bale the hay real tight. We would shuck the grain for it to dry. My Dad use to hire a Thresher to cut the grain. We had alfalfa and he would cut it and we would rake it and after it was dry we would either bale it or put it in stacks. All the family had to halve Dad and we had to help Mom on Saturdays. I helped my Father a lot in the gardens and fields. He said I was a better helper than the boys. When he would get paid, he would slip me money, once Wallace saw him do it and he got mad, thinking I didn't need to be paid, but he didn't pay the boys because he sometimes could not get them to help him. When I was about fourteen, Dad got small pox and they went down on him and he nearly died. We would have to put him in the buggy to go for treatments. We would take him to Payson, Utah. I would take a short cut along the canal from the Genola Canyon. I would go through the canyon and cross over the State Highway, then I would take the other way home along the mountains. The boys were getting married and there wasn't anyone to help him. Harold and Elmo were too small. It was during the first World War that Dad got small pox. Eugene had enlisted in Canada and they wanted him to stay there to go to war. My Mother had to go to a lawyer to sign papers to get him back here to go to war, because he was called to serve here in USA, too. Before he had to go in USA, the war was over. Lilly wasn't much help, she was always kind of sickly and she helped Momma in the house but they didn't make her help outside too much. We lost the place in Genola, because Dad got so nervous after he was sick, he could not work so hard anymore. We had to move back to Spanish Fork, Utah when they lost the farm and home. Dad had to do odd jobs to help us get by. Once he bought $200 or $300 Stock, even though Mama tried to get him to not to, and he lost the money. I liked to live with Gene and Ruby in Payson. I liked her Mother and her sisters, Elsie and Martha. Leona taught school. She lived in Salt Lake City, Utah. I remember going up there to visit her. I was closer to Ruby and Gene, the others were good to me too. When they moved to Dvidend, Utah, a mining district, Ruby, Gene, and I went up to visit them. My parents moved again in Spanish Fork from the place by the Depot Union Pacific railroad tracks, we used to have to walk quite a ways to go up town. Dad wanted to move up closer to town and he bought that place. We lived there when they had the earth quake in Spanish Fork, Utah. I was about 16 then. We were sitting at the table and all of a sudden the house started moving. It started rocking back and forth. My Dad got so scared he said "What the heck is happening!?" We had never been in an earth quake. It was just like our house was a rocking boat on water. About that time I left and went up to see Gene and Ruby at Dividend, Utah. Some girls wanted me to go to a dance in a Recreation Hall and I decided to go. The girls and I were standing by a stove where it was warm. We were talking and laughing and enjoying ourselves and I happened to look toward the door we came in, and I saw a young fellow standing there. He had a big Stetson Hat on. I kept looking at him and I noticed he spotted me, too, standing over there. I said to one of the girls, "Look, he is coming over here," and I knew he was looking at me, because he came right over to me and he asked me if I would like to dance with him. I thought he was such a handsome guy. I said, "Yes, I will dance with you." When we were through dancing he wanted to know why I was up there at the mine. I told him I was helping my brother's wife, who took in Boarders, and he said, 'Well you know I eat, too." I said, "You do", and we laughed. He said, 'Do you think she would let me come over there and eat, too?" He worked there in the mine. I told him I would have to ask them if he could board there. I know that he liked me from the first. I will never forget when he walked from that door, over to me. It made my heart flutter to think I was the one he came to. There must have been something that attracted him to me and I know I though, "Gee, he is sure a nice looking fellow." He took me home, it was just a little ways from the dance and he walked me home. The next day he came and asked Ruby if he could eat there and she said he could, so he started eating there. It was in their home and I would help her set the tables. I did not have to work hard, I just helped here when she needed me. I did not stay there very long after that, even though he was coming there to eat, I wanted to go back to Spanish Fork, Utah. There was a boy named Randall Larsen who was our neighbor in Genola, that I liked and he like me, too. We like each other for a long time, but he finished High School a year before I did. There was a girl named Alberta Chatman, going to the BYU. Randall started going there, too, and they got interested in each other, and I forgot about Randall. They did not get married, though. She got in with the Polygamists and went off there where they were and joined them. She was Mazella's cousin. One time after I was married, Randall came back to Spanish Fork while I was there and he came and asked Momma about me. There was a fellow named Eleanor that like me, but he was not a very good fellow, not the kind to be trusted, so I would not go with him again. That was when we lived down by the railroad track. He worked with Bonnie. Lilly was already married to Bonnie, and they lived nearby. When Lee Warren Toland came to Spanish Fork, my mother asked him if he wanted to stay over-night, he had come from Dividend. I just happened to be him when he came, I was surprised that he would come to see me. He spent the night on the couch in the sitting room. Our bedrooms were upstairs and Momma and Dad's was down stairs. The next day Lee said he wanted to go some place, so we went over on Inter-urban, a street car that went between Provo and Spanish Fork, Utah. We walked around the shops looking around. When we passed by a jewelry store, Lee said, "Why don't we get married?". I let him know I was a Mormon girl, and asked him what he was and he said he wasn't, but he said hew would join the Church. He had me promise him at the jewelry store that I would marry him, and he went and got the ring. It was a gold band with Orange Blossoms on it. I did not go inside, I thought I would just let him do it, since it was his idea. I felt guilty that I had agreed to get married. We went to the Courthouse to get the marriage license. I was 20 and he was 24. There was a lady there to witness the marriage. It was in the afternoon when we got married by a man who was a member of the Church. He had a challenging calling in the church. He married us there at the courthouse. She, the witness, was also a Mormon. They were nice. I felt bad, though, and I was worried because I had not talked to Momma about it. I guess it was the night before that Lee asked me to marry him and he said if you will marry me, I will join your church, and marry you in the Temple someday. Then we went to Provo the next day. After we got married, I said, "Let's go home," and we went in. But I was not going to tell Momma that night. I was afraid the would not let him stay there. So I took him to my room and told him, "You go sleep in my bed, I am going to sleep with Lilly." I went into her room and told her to move over, "Don (Lee) is sleeping in by bed." He wrote me and always signed his name Don. Don's father wanted his name to be Don, his mother wanted his name to be Lee. His cousin Alta said they all called him Lee. I thought Mom didn't know I was married and I would catch heck if she came and found us together. I got up early in the morning and I creeped down the stairs so I could tell Momma. I told her he wanted to marry me and we did, but I wanted her to know we were married first before I stayed with him. She did not get mad, she just talked to me in a kind way. He stayed around for a while, then said he had to go back to the mine. I could not go to the mine with him. He quit working at the mine before long and went back to Nevada to find work. We never did stay together before he went to Nevada. After he left, I felt so bad to think I had gotten married and not in the temple. Before too long, he sent for me to come out to Fernley, Nevada. I remember Momma going up with me to Ogden to see me off on the train. I was glad to go to him and he was glad to have me come. He came and met the train. He did love me, even though he got put off alone when he brought me to Momma's house, the night after we got married. Lilly said that morning, "Had I have known you and Lee got married, I would not have let you sleep with me. I would have sent you back where you belonged." I was a tiny 108 lbs., but I wasn't skinny, I had meat on my bones. I was 5'6" tall, my shoe size was a 4. I had a pretty salmon colored dress with a flare and I made a pretty pink dress with a tan trim. I really liked it. It was wool. It was 3 October 1925, when we got married. I can't remember if he wore his Stetson hat. Oh! He looked so handsome when he wore it. I felt kinda scared to go to Fernley to live with his sister, Allison McGarr. But they were good to me. Lee used to sing funny little songs. He had a good voice. Once he and Allison sang a song together and I was so surprised because I did not know he could sing that well. He played a banjo, too. Lee's Mother and Dad were separated when he was just a little kid. He went to live with Allison and his own dad(John Louis Toland). Melva went to live with her mother. He once told me he never had a very happy home life. He was closed mouth, never talked about his family. He never seemed to want to go see his mother(Susan Ella Dunlap Toland). He used to drink, and said he knew he should not, but he said he hoped I would never leave him, because he would have no one if I left. Many times I had reason to leave him because of his drinking, but I never could after he told me that. I used to wonder why Dad would not talk about his mother and dad. He would never talk about them. There was one time I remember Daddy said to me when I tried to get him to go and see his Mother, when Loren was in the service. He said, "I would have gone to see my Mother if I could have gone alone, but I did not want to go with everyone." Myself, Elaine, Arlene, Delores, Dwaine and Gary went. He got on the train in Carlin with us, but he got off in Beowowe and did not go any farther. Alta Ralston his cousin, said he was always a loner. Lee and I stayed in Fernley until he got work in Golconda, Nevada. We were living there when it was time for our baby to be born, and mother wanted me to come home to Spanish Fork, to have my first baby. Dad was glad I could have someone to look after me. He was good to me, you just could not depend on him not to drink. He was with me in Utah, when Dwaine was born. He was at home when Arlene was born at home in Carlin, Nevada. He went with me, when Gary Rodger was born in the Elko, Nevada Hospital. We had six children: 3 girls & 3 boys, which I was really thankful for. Most of my children were born in Utah, 2 were born in Nevada, the others were born in Spanish Fork, Utah. Three were born at my Mother and Father's home, and one in a house that we rented in Spanish Fork. I always liked Spanish Fork and our Family Doctor lived there. He was a good doctor. My Mother and Dad like him also. That's why I tried to be in Spanish Fork when our babies were going to be born. One of my babies, Elaine, was delivered by a Mid-wife, a Mrs. Poulson. She was a good lady. My Grandma Harriet Amelia was my father's mother. My Grandpa Braithwaite died when I was about 2 1/2 years old, so I did not know him. I never did see either one of my mother's parents, so I did enjoy being near my father's mother. I really loved her. I had several Uncles and Aunts and cousins. We loved them all. I saw some of my mother's folks that lived in Canada. My mother's mother, Kirstine Andersen Krogh, lived in Canada. She also died there. Her father, Mogens Christian Larsen Bouberg, went back to Denmark, where my mother was born. My Grandfather Braithwaite was born in England, (Robert Braithwaite). My Grandma Harriet Amelia Beemus Braithwaite was born in Illinois, and died in Spanish Fork, Utah. My mother was a convert to our church. I loved Mother's family that I did meet, when we went to Canada to see her folks. She was the only one that was a Latter Day Saint then. Bonnie took Mother and I and Lilly up to see them in Canada. Eugene met Grandma Hanson (2nd husband's name) and the rest of their family when he went to Canada at one time. Elmo went later after Grandfather Hanson had died. They are the only ones that saw all of them at one time. My Grandma Braithwaite always seemed to be at Uncle Willard's. He was like Uncle Elmo. He lived close by Aunt Tabitha. His wife was Welsh, she was a cute little woman. Aunt Maggie's mother was from Iceland. There was another little woman from Iceland that we bought cream from. Once, when I was about four, I climbed up a ladder to get hay to feed the horses and they knocked the ladder down and I fell to the ground. I had gone into the corral and saw the ladder still up to the hay stack, so I climbed it to throw hay down to the horses. The little lady from Iceland heard me crying and came and picked me up and took me to my mother. She could not speak English, so Momma never knew what happened. Momma went to visit Aunt Hattie when I was old enough so I could walk good. I went out to go to the out-house(toilet). I went out alone and when I was coming out, I fell and the goose came after me and got me on my bottom. Momma and Aunt Hattie came out and rescued me. Mom was so excited and upset about it, and so was Aunt Hattie. She was made at the goose, but they couldn't catch it to hit it. To this day, I don't like geese. Grandma Beemus Harriet Braithwaite lived about two blocks from our house. I don't remember my Grandfather Robert Braithwaite because he died when I was a baby. She lived alone after that. She had berries and fruit trees. She had a lawn, I can't remember that she had many flowers. We could go over and visit her anytime we wanted. I don't remember any big occasions there, though. I remember big dinners and family get-togethers at Aunt Kathren(called Carrie) and Uncle Jim's. Uncle Jim (James) Mackley was a shoe-maker. We would go over there sometimes and all go out camping. There would be three or four families and all their kids. They would bring tents and cots and plenty of bedding so all the kids could sleep on the ground. We would go fishing and have bonfires at night and roast marshmallows. We would sing and have music and have such a lot of fun. Sometimes we would camp in Canyons, or go out to the lake. We had a boat and they would give us turns going out in the boat, if our Dad were going out. It was Utah lake. We rode in horse drawn wagons and buggies. Each family had their own. There was Uncle Jess and Aunt Maggie. Uncle John and Aunt Ella, their daughters Margaret, Ruth and Hazel. We had so many cousins. Also Uncle Theo and Aunt Elenor. Uncle Theo was such a nice looking fellow. Thanksgiving was a time we would all get together, but not Christmas. That was a time to be home. We were all gathered around watching when my dad did anything like killing chickens or turkeys. We did not have refrigerators, we had ice boxes. The ice was in the top and things to be kept cool in the bottom, where the water from the melted ice collected. The pies, cakes, and bread were usually made the day before, sometimes the salads were made at the table just before we ate. It was always (most of the time) light when we got up. Maybe Dad would get up before it was light. We all helped with the cooking and soon as it was ready, we would eat. We had a big round table, in some houses I remember a square table. We had to take everything with us when we moved to our house in Spanish Fork. Near the house of Spoolgate Johnsons, there was a steep hill and kids from all over the neighborhood would come with their sleds and you could really have a good ride. Myrtle like to go sledding by herself, she did not like to laugh and have fun with us. She thought we were silly. One day she was over playing at Uncle Willards and she fell and broke an arm, and she had to make it home by herself. he was so mad, he would not take her home. We had such a good neighborhood with lots of good fun kids to play with. There was an irrigation ditch along the side of our neighbor's house, across the street. There were Iceland people, who lived down a block from Mackell's and they had about an acre of ground, and this lady would walk up there where her husband was, and when she'd get tired she'd walk back home. One day, I was there by the ditch with a friend. I thought I would be friendly and say hello, I was only about four. She could not understand English very well, but their name was Jones. So as she passed by I said very friendly and loud, "Mrs. Casey Jones." She stopped and looked at me and said, "You called me Mrs. Crazy Jones, I am not crazy. I am going to fix you," and she came after me. I got up and ran for home, into the house and into where Momma was, who wondered what had happened. I told her what had happened and what I had said. She went out to tell the woman what I had said, but she still didn't understand and was always mad at me, so I kept out of her way from then on. My dad bought a brand new tractor to till his crops, because he had quite a bit of land. When he decided to move to Genola, and buy land out there, he let the tractor go as part of the payment. He bought about forty acres with a brand new home on it. It was a frame home. While we were living there, the first World War started. While we lived there, we had to walk about a mile to the school house. Mr. Gore was our teacher. It was a new brick school. We had to use it for our Church meetings and that was where we had our dances. I wen there until I graduated from the eighth grade. Then I went to Payson to High School. The transportation in Genola was an old Surrey that was drawn by two horses. Then we had one that was drawn with one horse. Dad used work horses to pull the wagons and plow, that was because he'd let the tractor (gas powered), go to buy the place. Once Dad got blood poisoning in his hand and he'd put and Epson salt pack on it and it drew the poison out of it. He had worn a blister on his hand and it had gotten blood poisoning. When I was about 14 Dad got the small pox. He was working in the cold and they went in on him and nearly killed him. I took him to the doctor in Payson. The boys were not home so I had to take him in the wagon. They gave us medicine for him to take. We finally lost our farm in Genola, Dad never was able to work hard anymore. I lived with Gene and Ruby in Payson while I went to High School. Gene worked in a Sugar Mill. They would have your beets there and sell them. Then they made the sugar. Gene had a Motorcycle and one morning he was going to take me to school on it. I straddled the back of it, and was kind of half sitting and half standing while I was smoothing my skirt, so it would not be wrinkled when I got to school. He thought I was sitting down and just as I started to sit, he took off and I crashed to the ground. Ruby was looking out to the kitchen window and she said she couldn't help laughing, cause it was the funniest thing she'd ever seen. Gene was gone way up to the Union Pacific track and he said, he said something to me and I did not answer, so he turn around to look and I wasn't there. I loved being there with Gene and Ruby because they had the first of the grand-children in the Family. Glen was the prettiest baby I'd ever seen. Then came Don, Marie, Anna Mae, and Mary Lou. When I wanted to earn money to buy things for myself, I would do house cleaning for people, but I didn't enjoy that, it was too hard. When I needed new clothes, Momma sewed them, or I could sew, too. When I'd help Dad, he would give me some money and I could buys some of my clothes, I had such beautiful clothes and a nice slim figure. Hard work kept me slim. I always went to Church with the family, but couldn't always go to mutual. We were too far, and there was not a way to get there. Giggley Laura was always with the girls, laughing and having fun. One night, when Lilly and I were little girls, while we were living in the two story house, we bought from Spool-Gate Johnson. I said to Lilly, "I am going to scare Wallace." His bedroom was right at the top of the stairs. I went in before he came up, and hid under his bed. When he came in the room, he knelt down to say his prayer, and I reached out and pinched him. He really jumped and I laughed when he said, "You dirty piggy". He hurried and got in bed and I told him I only wanted to scare him. Sometimes we would go with Gene and Wallace down to the creeks below Aunt Carrie's place, where the water ran fresh and the grass was green. We'd take a frying pan and catch frogs. We would cook frog legs right there on the bonfire we would build. They were so good. Once, when we were little girls, we went out by Aunt Carrie's house where the cactus grew in the Alkali, then we gathered cactus flowers and put them in our lap aprons to carry home. We were all crying because the stickers were sticking in our tummies. Aunt Carrie had to get tweezers to pull them out for us. My dad hired a man to top the beets, getting them ready to take to the sugar factory. He got ahead of me and I couldn't figure out how he got ahead of me. Then I could see that he was pulling the beets and putting them in my row, to leave for me to top. I thought here, "Dad is paying him to top those beets and he's only pulling." So I thought, "Well, I'll return good for evil." So I started topping beets and putting them in his row. He could see by that, I knew what he was doing. I was only about ten years old, but I knew even though he was an old man, he shouldn't be cheating. He looked so funny when I told him I'd return him good for his evil, and he quit doing it. We all had to have a sharp knife that had a pick on it, too. With the pick we would take the beet out of the ground, and with the knife we would cut the top off and lay it on the ground. This was back breaking work, but it had to be done. Every so often before I got married, I would get "Quinsey". Which is a swelling in your throat and a fever. I would get so sick, I was almost out of my head. Mom would be up half the night with me. Sometimes Momma would give me something and finally the fever would break. I got it again once after Loren was born. I wen to Dr. Hagan, the Family Doctor, and he decided to take my tonsils out and I never had it again. All of our families around then used to go up to the cemetery, to decorate the graves. Momma would get all of us dressed so nice, and we'd have to go alone with them. Every time we went, I'd get sick and have to sit by the ditch and throw up. Everyone got so they just expected me to get sick, and I always did. Momma used to sew clothes for us, even shirts for the boys. She would make dresses alike for Lilly and I, but Myrtle did not want hers like ours, she wanted to be different. Momma used to put ringlets in our hair. When we got older, we would fix each other's hair. I remember ringlets in Lilly's hair, but I seemed to have braids more than her. Aunt Maggie and Uncle Jess and their kids used to come to our house and Dad, Jess, and Willard used to play cards. Just the men, not the women. It wasn't gambling, but just having fun to see who could win. Uncle Willard use to Che Tobacco and he like to drink, and us kids used to like to tease him when he was drunk. He'd get a big wad of that tobacco in his cheek and we'd tease him until he would get mad and chase us. Uncle Theo used to run a saloon, that's one reason he couldn't get a recommend. Uncle Jess used to drink, too, but he was our favorite Uncle and he was so good to us kids. Christmas's weren't given much notice when we were kids. I don't remember the presents off the trees we had. We always had good food, but people didn't waste money on unnecessary things because money was scarce. My dad and the men that loved to sing used to go Caroling all around Manti, Utah. We had horse drawn sleighs, we rode in the Winter time. There used to be lots of snow. That why all the kids used to come to the hill by our place. I think they used to put water on it to make it slick. The Iceland people used to live together in houses on the Bench. They would go to Church and mingle with others, but they all stuck together, mostly. They were good people and got along with everyone. They all seemed to be thick (the men), the women were all slender. Maggie's mother was so little and short. Maggie had a sister named Signe, she was tall and thin. They were good hearted people. They always sounded like a bunch of chickens, when they talked altogether when they got with each other. They didn't seem to have large families. But they settled in Spanish Fork. They didn't have farms, just lots and houses. We used to buy cream from one who lived on the corner. I'd ask Momma if I could go get the cream, because they'd give us kids a sugar cube when we'd come for cream. There were Erickson, Johnson, Sigmason, Leifson, and Goodmanson. Myrtle was the only one of us girls who learned to drive a car. She though Lilly and I were stupid for not learning to drive a car. She enjoyed riding horse back and being outside. She had her ways and we had ours, and seemed to go in different directions. Lilly was about 18 or 20 when she got married. I was 20 when I got married. Before Lilly married Bonnie, we'd go fishing with them. Myrtle was about 18 when she married Lou Bradford. They all got married in the Temple. Lou was a good guy, he'd kid the heck out of us. But Myrtle complained about him. He wasn't healthy, he had Tuberculoses. After he died, Myrtle was a silly little lady, she was lonely and she started going with a crowd that used to party a lot and Momma used to worry so much about her, but she'd never listen to Momma. Stanley Vincent was a bachelor who ran with the crowd. He took her away form the Bunch one night, telling her they weren't the right kind for her to be around. Soon after that, they got married. I got married before she did, but our first babies were boys born about the same time. When the Gomez family moved to Spanish Fork, Utah. I used to think I like Bonnie, Lilly didn't even like him then. His mother used to be so good to me and wanted me to come to their home. She always seemed so lonely because they were Spanish. Bonnie was herding sheep up Spanish Fork canyon, when we lived in Spanish Fork. Then when we moved to Genola, he'd come to visit us. When Lilly started going with him, they used to ask me to go places with them, so I thought Bonnie was a pretty good guy. He and Lilly were married in the Temple while we were living in Spanish Fork. There wasn't a big Wedding Party that I remember. Life was simple, they didn't give showers so much then as they do now. Lee and I eloped, so I didn't expect anything. We went for a walk and came home married. They all liked him, we called him Don in those days, it wasn't until we were living with Allison in Nevada that I found out his name was Lee. They told me about his Dad wanting him named "Don", and his Mother named him Lee. We lived first in Fernley, Nevada with Allison in a little house on Farm District Road. It was a little whitehouse with a rock wall along the front where the porch was. There is a picture of me sitting on the porch with others. The trees growing along that road were planted by Dad before I met him. Allison said he got a notion one day and went out and planted them. We moved from Fernley to Golconda, Nevada, where Dad worked on the State Highway. Mr. Faust owned the house that we lived in just behind the Post Office. It was a little three room frame house with a little room in back, off the porch, where Fred, a young fellow who worked on the Highway, lived. He cooked for himself. It was while living in this house that we were expecting our first baby. I was so happy to think I would have my own baby. Dad didn't say much about it. About a month before the baby was born, I went back to Spanish Fork to have the baby. I'd travel to Ogden by train, then down to Spanish Fork by bus. While I waited, I would make baby things using Momma's sewing machine. I'd crochet and tat, and I could knit pretty good, too. The pains started early in the morning. He was born in the afternoon of 20 September 1926. Dr. Hagan was there to deliver him. I thought it was a hard delivery. The pains were so hard, I thought I wasn't going to make it. Momma was in and out, off and on until the baby was born. He weighed 9 pounds and he had brown hair. I named him Don Loren Toland. At that time I still didn't know Lee Warren was Dad's name. The house my folks lived in then is the house Elmo lives in now. That was the third house we lived in, after we had to leave Genola. There was the house we lived in by the Union Pacific tracks. We moved there to a two story house, where Don come to see me and stayed the night, and we went to Provo the next day and eloped. Before I came back to have my first baby, the folks had moved to the house where my Dad and Momma lived until they died. I can't remember how long I stayed after Loren was born, but I went back out to Nevada. Don(Lee) was never one to want to hold babies, but when he first held Loren it was something I will never forget. It had been freezing and since I didn't have a sink I had to throw my dish water out the door. I always threw it in the same place and freezing as I was, I had a regular icy runway out by the house. I asked Lee to carry the baby out, we had been invited to the neighbor's to visit. He was clowning, as usual. Strutting out of the house, he turned right into my icy runway, and down he went with the baby on top of him. I was laughing and didn't dare say anything to him, but I was sure glad there was a big fat stomach for the baby to land on. He got himself up, with the baby and went strutting off over to the Fayants, our neighbors. Dad was jolly, he was always doing some thing to make us laugh. I wish I could remember more of the things he did. Before Elaine was born we had to move into a larger house, so we moved into a two bedroom place over across the tracks. It was while we were living there that Dad had a malaria attack. He had such a terrible fever, I thought he was going to burn up. He took off and didn't say where he was going, but when he came back the fever was gone. He never had it again. He said he had gone into Winnemucca, Nevada. I didn't worry about him, I thought he must have gone somewhere to cool off. Elaine was born in Spanish Fork, Utah, 16 January 1929. Elaine was brought into the world by a midwife, Mrs. Poulson. She was a very serious women, she was tall and broad, but she was a good woman. I had this lady and Momma there, I didn't seem to worry with her there. Elaine weighed 81/2 lbs, although, she now thinks she couldn't have weighed so much. We moved from Golconda, Nevada, to Winnemucca, Nevada. Lee worked at Water Canyon, measuring the water that came down. We moved into a one bedroom cabin not too far from the highway, coming into Winn. It was the last one down close to the highway end of the row. Loren was just big enough to start getting around good. There was little girl nearby that was his age, and he'd gone over to play with her and he came home crying so hard. He came in saying, "She bit me Momma, she bit me!" I looked at his hand that he had held out to me. She'd bit him on the back of the hand where he had a little cushion of fat. You could see all her teeth marks still there. So I took him to show her mother. She told Loren to bite her back if she ever did it to him again. But he never went to play with her again, he stayed clear of her. There was one little place we lived in not far from the Winn, High School, where we moved from to another place where Lee could get work. He said there wasn't anyway to take my trunk that I had brought with me when I got married. I felt so bad because I had the little things in it that I had made for Loren when he was a baby. The house belonged to a little old man. When we finally got back to get it, we went to where the old man lived and he had died. We went looking but never found what had become of it. Before Elaine was born, we had gone down to Portola where Lee was going to look for work, but we didn't stay there long and we decided to come back up to Nevada. We were living in Carlin, Nevada in the little white house near the end of Mr. Doxey's Hotel (for Railroaders), when Delores was weaned. She was born 18 March 1931. Dr. Hagan delivered her, I think we lived in a little house up from the park in Spanish Fork, Utah. Dwaine was born in Spanish Fork, Utah, in a house across from the Mortuary. Lee was there, too. He went in to look for work. We rented part of the house. Dr. Hagan delivered Dwaine. Delores was about two and a half when Elaine cut her hair. We were living in the house where Arlene was born. Elaine cut so much hair off, I had to fix it so she would look cute. We moved from Veld Gile's house to Fritze's house. That's where the man came to take Arlene's baby picture. Then, from that house, we moved down in the house by Michelins where Dwaine set the weeds on fire. Gary was born when we lived there. He was born in the Elko, Nevada Hospital. We lived in Beowowe when Loren was about four and a half, or five, in a house near the school. he kept wanting to go to school and I told him he wasn't old enough. One day he was missing and I went looking for him. I found him sitting in a chair in the school room with the rest of the kids. We were living in the house by Michellis when Gary was born and Momma came out to help me. We lived in Mrs. Kapler's big frame house when I had the goiter operation. That's the house that was the old post office down across the street from the Southern Pacific Depot. Part of it was the post office and part was her house. We were at the Gold mine at Lynn Creek when the Doctor told me I couldn't have the baby I was carrying, so he sent me to the drug store to get the medicine to cause the baby to abort. Lee got the medicine and went back to the mine. In the next few days, Dad asked me if I was taking the medicine. I told him, "No, and I'm not going to." He said if you don't, I'll leave you, but he didn't mean it. He was only trying to scare me into doing what Dr. Rhontree thought was best for my health. I told him I'd rather die myself than kill the baby, so daddy didn't say anymore. I went to Dr. Eastman in Carlin and told him what I'd decided and asked him what he thought about it, and he said he though I would be alright and to go ahead and carry it. When I told Dr. Rhontee I was going to have the baby. He said, "Go ahead, if you want to, but you have to have it in the hospital," so I would not strain the tissue of the goiter operation and break it loose. When it came time to have the baby, Dad took me to the Hospital and then left. The nurses left me alone in a room, and wouldn't come when I told them I was ready to have the baby. They wouldn't believe me. They said, "You are not nearly ready," but the pushed me into the delivery room and left me on the gurney. There was a boy outside cleaning the room and I told him to please go get the nurse. When she saw how close it was, she said, "Mrs. Toland, you have got to stop." They haven't even called the doctor yet. I asked them how you stop in the middle, and then he was born. He was my only blue-eyed boy. I was so thankful, I did not listen to them the they wanted to do away with the baby. When the doctor got there, he said, "Mrs. Toland, when it comes to having a baby, you are a champion." My Momma did not come out right away because she couldn't. She must have stayed longer when she came. I remember Lee and Dr. Eastman stayed up all night the night before Arlene was born. I asked Dr. Eastman if he would come to the house to deliver the baby. He said that he would, even though Doctors usually would not do that then. I think we had a Christmas tree that year because there were corners where you could put the tree. Arlene was born the day after Christmas, 26 December 1935. We used to live in Tanabo while dad was working in a mine. We lived in tents with a wooden floor. It wasn't a great big one, but it was big enough for us. It was a new one that we rented from the company. It must have been at that time that Loren and Elaine went to live with Grandma Braithwaite in Spanish Fork, Utah. They went for the school year. I shall never forget living in Tanabo. Dwaine would be out playing and this old guy that worked in the saloon would have the excuse of coming to talk to the kids outside playing. Then he'd wander up to the house. He wanted to know if I would like to go with him to get water. He used to haul water. When he'd come to the door, he could see me sewing and one day, he said, "How would you like a new sewing machine?" I told him I didn't need a new sewing machine. I began to get scared that he'd try to come there at night when dad was gone because Lee worked nights at the mine. I finally told Dad about him because he tried every way possible to get me to go with him. Dad calmly walked over to the saloon and told him he had no business coming over to see his wife and he hit him with his fist. Just once, but it put him in hospital, and he almost died. He had a son that told Dad that he'd kill Dad if his Father died. Everyone was on our side because he was a bad man that tried to bother other women there, too. One woman came to me and told me she would testify against him if necessary, because he was the same with her, too. I think she ran him off with a knife, she was not afraid of him, but she moved from there. The Ottleys read about it in the newspaper and came from Carlin to see us. I asked him if he would pray that the old man would not die. He said he sure would. Everyone knew he had it coming to him. The old guy finally got better and he never bothered me again. I can't remember if we lived in the tent, or the house, first in Tanabo. We must have moved from the tent into the house. Dad worked at the mine and I think with the Water commission. Tanabo was a ranching community out of Beowowe. There was a saloon there but the store was in Beowowe. We were living in Beowowe when Dad got a tooth ache and had to go to Elko to get some teeth pulled. He could not finish driving home and he told me I couldn't drive and he told me I would have to drive. I told him I couldn't drive, and he said to get over there anyway. Dwaine knew I didn't know how to drive, (he was standing behind me) and every once in a while he'd tap me on the shoulder and say "Mom, are you alright?" And I would tell him, "Yes, I am alright." We came to the Beowowe turn off sooner than I expected, so I drove on past a bit and pulled off the road because there was snow on the ground, so the road was slick. I woke Dad up after I got pulled off, and was he mad at me. He got over there, thinking he could get it turned around, and got stuck. A big truck had to pull us out. The truck driver could see we were stuck and he stopped and pulled us back on the road. I was sure glad that it wasn't me that got it stuck off the road. There were other families living in the tents when we were in Tanabo. We used to have to cook in there and everything. Someone once scared me about cooking in the tent, something about an explosion and how quickly the tent would burn up. But anyway, we got away from there before anything like that happened. We were living in a little place of Mrs. Harts at Lynn Creek, Nevada, when Arlene was a baby. One year, the Ottleys said that Elaine could live with them and go to school, so we let her. It was the second grade and she didn't pass that year and she felt bad. They said she was too young, that's why they didn't pass her into the next grade. I can't remember how Loren went to school, I believe he stayed at the Brown's, as they had a boy his age and so did the Drakes have a boy his age. Maybe he was in Utah still at my Parent's. Harold used to get so mad at the kids and he would cuss them. They just got on his nerves. I don't think they were that bad. Harold went into the service and Elmo did, too, a bit later. While we were living at the mine, I was cooking supper once, and I looked and saw a snake stick its head up coming in the house, so I ran and got the 22 and shot it. I got it but I also shot a hole in my new Boiler. We must have moved from that cabin down to a bigger place Harts had further down the hill. That's where Dad and I cooked the deer meat, we would bottle it in the new boiler we had to buy after I shot the whole in the other one. In the summer, Dad would put up tents out by the little cabin so we could be with him up at the Gold mine. There was a family named Newman who lived in the house on the corner behind Velda Gile's house (clear at the other end of the valley), that's the house Aunt Allison lived in when we lived in Velda's house. That's when I got my first washing machine, the one Allison said I didn't need. It had a little gas motor on it. She got mad about me getting a new one. She thought I should have bought a second hand one. She always had good stuff. But Dad was really happy when I got it. That's where I got my first electric sewing machine, too. It was a little "Monkey" Ward machine. I was so tickled to have a good sewing machine. I kept the treadle machine until Elaine got married and I gave it to her. We were living in the little house at the ranch belonging to Newt Nelson near Beowowe. Loren did something that made Lee mad, and Dad started after Loren. Loren crawled under the bed, so Dad moved the bed to get to him, but Loren kept moving with the bed and he never could catch him. So he gave up and went outside. Loren came running into the house with Dad right after him, and under the bed he went. I never did know what he did to make Dad so mad. I guess Dad and Loren would remember. That little house had two bedroom on one side and the kitchen and front room on the other side. I was sure hoping Lee couldn't get under the bed and get Loren. Once, when we were living in the house next to Mrs. Phillips (Moxie lived in the house in front, he's the one that owned a saloon across from the Depot). Dwaine set the weeds on fire on the side of the fence by Moxie's house. He just threw a match into the weeds and Dad tore after Dwaine and out the gate he went. I could see Dwaine's little old legs going and Dad running after him as fast as he could go. Poor little Dwaine was only about four and a half and I just knew Dad was going to catch him, although I was hoping he wouldn't. Dwaine outran him and Dad came back to put the fire out. He was afraid it would catch every thing on fire. There were weeds all around those houses. I don't know why Dad didn't put it out first. I guess that's the only thing that saved Dwaine. I think Dad must have laughed at himself for not being able to catch Dwaine. Dwaine would remember what happened when he finally came in the house. We were living in the house next the Michaellis when we brought Gary home from the Hospital. He had caught something in the Hospital and he was all swollen up down below. But I took him back to the Doctor and we finally got it cleared up. Allison once told me that she was sure glad Lee married me and said she wouldn't have wanted him to marry anyone else. That made me feel good because I didn't think she like me, but I was still leary of her. I and her became friends, and I loved her- she helped me get Geneology information on the Toland's family. We lived in the house of Coggins next to Fritzes when the Streamliner wrecked at Beowowe, Nevada. Dad took me down the next morning to see it. Boy that was awful. I didn't want to stay after I looked. I'll never forget Dad and I walking down along the river to get to where it wrecked. Other people were there, too. You'd drive the car down to Newts place where they raised food, and we would buy our vegetables from him. It was the road that went down to Palisade turnoff, from the highway, coming from Carlin. Anyway, you could only drive so far, then had to walk the rest of the way. There were a lot of people killed, over a hundred, I believe. They thought that the wreck was caused by sabotage. We picked up a silver sugar bowl that had been thrown along where we walked. We took it for a souvenir, but I don't know what became of it. Must have got lost in one of our moves.

Life timeline of Laura Toland

Laura Toland was born on 23 Jul 1905
Laura Toland was 12 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
See More
Laura Toland was 24 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
Laura Toland was 25 years old when Great Depression: In a State of the Union message, U.S. President Herbert Hoover proposes a $150 million (equivalent to $2,197,000,000 in 2017) public works program to help generate jobs and stimulate the economy. The Great Depression was a severe worldwide economic depression that took place mostly during the 1930s, beginning in the United States. The timing of the Great Depression varied across nations; in most countries it started in 1929 and lasted until the late-1930s. It was the longest, deepest, and most widespread depression of the 20th century. In the 21st century, the Great Depression is commonly used as an example of how far the world's economy can decline.
See More
Laura Toland was 39 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
See More
Laura Toland was 52 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
Laura Toland was 59 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
See More
Laura Toland was 73 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
See More
Laura Toland died on 10 Apr 1988 at the age of 82
Grave record for Laura Toland (23 Jul 1905 - 10 Apr 1988), BillionGraves Record 3235 Spanish Fork, Utah, Utah, United States