Juduthan Averett

12 Jun 1816 - 7 Jan 1902

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Juduthan Averett

12 Jun 1816 - 7 Jan 1902
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Juduthan Averett (12 Jun 1816 - 7 Jan 1902) at Evergreen Cemetery in Springville, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Juduthan Averett
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Juduthan Averett


Evergreen Cemetery

1876-1998 North 2000 West
Springville, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Born: Chesterfield Co., North Carolina


June 28, 2011


June 26, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Juduthan...

We found more records about Juduthan Averett.

Grave Site of Juduthan


Juduthan Averett is buried in the Evergreen Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

With ever increasing frequency it becomes the sad duty of the “News” to chronicle the passing of one of those stalwart sons of toll who participated in the founding of this state or helped ad lustre to its glory. The last hoary headed hero to fall and leave a gap in the rapidly thinning ranks of Utah’s pioneer soldier was Jeduthan Averett, whose picture appears above. As a member of the “Mormon” Battalion he endured the tortures of hunger and peril such as the tongue or pen man could never depict, yet he attained to the venerable age of 85 years. He had stood in the community so long, and had stood so firmly defying the withering blight of time, that he seemed a part of nature herself and destined to live as long as she. But he fell at last like an ancient patriarch full of years and of honor and surrounded by four generations of his offspring. He died at his home in Springville January 7, 1902, after a brief illness passing away as gently as the slumber of a child. He was born in Chesterfield county, North Carolina, on June 12, 1816. How interestingly his life links the past to the present., and so venturous have been the changes since the day he was born it would seem that his cradle was in one age and his grave in another. His advent was before most of the men who have contributed much to American history were born. The sage of Monticello had just retired from the White House. Napoleon had taken up his forced quarter on St. Helena and Abraham Lincoln was little more than an infant in the back woods of Indiana. In his youth Mr. Averett embraced the faith of the Latter-day Saints and moved to Nauvoo. Throughout the dark and murderous days surrounding the assassination of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his devoted brother Hyrum, and the subsequent expulsion from the city at the hands of the cruel mob, the deceased stood staunch and true and when the call for 500 volunteers for the Mexican war came he responded. Joining the “Mormon” Battalion he left his friends and started out upon that immortal journey of 2,000 miles across the continent. The biting hunger, and killing thirst made them almost insensible to the other perlls that surrounded them and the sufferings endured on that weary trail are only known by those who passed through them. When the battalion was disbanded Mr. Averett, who was a private in Company D, returned to Utah. In 1854 he settled in Springville and remained there ever after. He was as modest as he was brave and he settled down to a quiet hard working life on the farm. He leaves eight children, seventy-one grand children and fifty-eight great grand children. The funeral was held from the Springville meeting house on Thursday last. The house was filled by the friend of the venerable deceased and appropriate music was furnished by the Black Hawk war veterans of Springville comrades. The pieces rendered were, “When the angel calls the role,” the “Memorial Ode,” Tenting on the New Camp Ground,” and “Hark, listen to the trumpeters.” The Speakers were Bishop Joseph Lloyd and Elders J. S. Boyer, Thomas Child and James E. Hall. At the grave the veterans fired a salute and taps were sounded and the spot was dedicated by Bishop Lloyd. Source: “Old ‘Mormon’ Soldier Dead: Passing of One More of the famous Five Hundred Who Marched From the Missouri River to the Pacific Coast: Jeduthan Averett.. “Deseret News, 11 Jan 1902, p. 8, col. 3; digital images, Utah digital Newspapers (http:udn.lib.utah.deu : accessed 3 Aug 2011). This obituary, aside from its sensational nature, also contains a couple of inaccuracies. Jeduthan did not journey with the Mormon Battalions to Pacific Coast, but was in the sick detachment that left from Santa Fe to Ft. Pueblo. He settled in Springville in 1857, not 1854. **************************************************************************


Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

In the winter of 1832, Benjamin Freeman Bird and his wife Marabah Reeves lived in a comfortable home in Southport, New York with eight of their nine living children. As the snow blanketed the New York countryside, a single Elder from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints knocked at their door. He asked for admittance and keep since he was a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and was preaching without purse or script. Benjamin and Marabah were touched by the testimony that he bore. Over the next few weeks, by reading the Book of Mormon, they became convinced that his message was true. Since the Elder had moved on, the Bird’s grasped at the only link that would tie them to the glorious message that they had received, they subscribed to the STAR. Because the Church was in its very early infancy, having been only 31 months since the church was organized, the Bird family had nowhere else to turn for additional information. In the first edition of the MESSENGER AND ADVOCATE printed at Kirtland, Ohio in October 2, 1834; Oliver Cowdrey, then Second Elder in the Church, published the following excerpt: Mr. Benjamin F Bird, of Southport, Tioga Co. New York writes under date of November 14, 1833 and says, “I have received your papers almost one year; and because I held the Book of Mormon as sacred as I do the Bible, the Methodist Church (though I had been a regular member almost 37 years)., turned me out; but I bless God for it, for though they cast me out Jesus took me in. “He further adds, that he does not know as he shall ever have a privilege of uniting with his church, as he never saw but one Elder, whom he solicited to preach twice; that it caused a great stir and noise among the people, & c.” “If any of the Elders are passing near, would they not do well to call? - - - We circulate some few papers in that place, the most of which is through the agency of our aged friend of whom we have been speaking, and from whom we acknowledge the receipt of money for the same.” Before a team of Elders could respond to Benjamin’s request, he lost his sweet-heart Marabah in the winter of 1833, leaving him with a heavy heart and the responsibility of raising eight children. As he shared his testimony of the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ with his friends, many mocked, but a few hearts were touched. One who came to know by the Spirit that Benjamin’s testimony was true, was a woman named Margaret Crain. After a short courtship they were married on the 25th day of April, 1833. A year later, Margaret bore Benjamin a beautiful daughter whom they named Margaret Jane. Finally in June of 1834, a team of Mormon Elders came to the area and having the necessary authority, Benjamin, his wife Margaret and several of the married children of Benjamin and Marabah, with their spouses, were baptized. Shortly after the birth of their next child, Benjamin, his unmarried family and his three married sons with their families, moved to Kirtland, Ohio as part of the gathering of Israel. Upon their arrival they found the spiritual condition of the Church to be very gloomy indeed. Several members of the Quorum of the Twelve including two of the three witnesses had spoken out against the Prophet. Secret meetings were being held, which finally culminated in Joseph having to escape for Kirtland in the dead of the night in January of 1838. The Bird families were convinced that the Prophet was in the right and that those who had come out in open rebellion against him had: the waging tongues of apostate devils.” Charles Bird represented his father’s large family at the meeting of the Counsel of the Seventies in the attic story of the Kirtland Temple. He pledged the support of the Bird family in what later was to be known as the Kirtland Camp. By commandment from the Lord, this camp of Saints, who were faithful to the Lord’s Prophet, took the wearisome trek to Jackson County, Missouri, ending their seven month march by camping at the site of Adam-Ondi-Ahman. In January, 1839, the Bird families were residing at Far West, Missouri, and were aggrieved participants in the maleficent scenes of murder; rape and pillage have since proved to be one of the worst persecutions ever imposed upon any people, the so-called Far West War. Benjamin Freeman Bird and his son Charles Bird had signed the affidavit wherein they covenanted with the other inhabitants of Far West to stand by and assist one another “to the utmost of our abilities in removing to the State of Missouri.” They bound themselves to the extent of all their available property to be disposed of by the committee for the purpose of providing means for the removal of the poor and destitute from the state. Their covenant was in vain when they were ruthlessly driven from Far West. As they left Far West, the Bird families looked back and saw their homes in flames. They left Missouri with only the clothes on their backs in the dead of the winter, with nowhere to go, after suffering the Far West holocaust. While at Kirtland and Far West, the Bird families and particularly Charles and his wife Mary Ann Kennedy, became personal, close acquaintances with the Prophet Joseph Smith and his wife Emma. They gathered at Nauvoo with the rest of the Saints. In January 1840, Benjamin purchased the property now known as the Bird-Browning on Main Street from the Prophet Joseph Smith for $300.00 They built a nice two room log cabin with a root cellar, which has been restored by the Church, and dug a well which is now the south side of the property. In the spring of 1843 they built the two-story brick structure. (Later, they sold the property to Jonathan Browning who then added on the first story of the middles section and even later the gunsmith and blacksmith shops. Browning lived in the brick home approximately 2 years, and then it was occupied by Lucy Mack Smith (1845-1846), the Mother of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It was while she was living here that she wrote her autobiography which included the biography of her son. This is one of the most popular histories on the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith even to this day (1980). Subsequent owners are thought to have added the small second story onto the middle section, the kitchen and probably even later individuals with German architectural liking, added the porch onto the back of the original two story living quarters. Benjamin and his family lived in the log cabin for three years and in the two story brick structure for a few months. During this time they enjoyed all of the special cultural events that have come to mark the Nauvoo period as being one of the most unique in history. Since converts from all over the world came to Nauvoo and established their homes during those years, there was a great mixing of culture and arts. Bound by oneness, all being Latter-Day-Saints, there was a friendly blending of a variety of cultures and a feeling of personal pride and friendliness. The people, who had been persecuted and driven from Ohio and then Missouri, now lived in relative peace. They enjoyed a pronounced zest for life, which enabled them to live and appreciate the unique cultural advantage that was theirs. The Bird families traded at the store of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and often attended parties and socials at the Mansion House. There were several occasions where Benjamin played a friendly game of croquet with his friends and neighbors, which included Joseph, Hyrum, Wilford Woodruff and Heber C. Kimball. While living in the log cabin, Benjamin and Margaret were blessed with a baby daughter, who being born at this time of relative peace and prosperity, brought a great deal of joy and happiness into their lives. Also at Nauvoo, Benjamin enjoyed the association of several of his children and many of his grandchildren. His sons Phineas, Charles, James and Samuel all had their families at Nauvoo. He still had living at home two sons by Marabah and the 3 children by Margaret. In the fall of 1843, disruptions, both internal and external to the Church were caused by John C. Bennett and William Law, who were at one time counselors to the Prophet Joseph in the first Presidency. Benjamin with his home on Main Street was in the middle of all the excitement and persecution. Because Benjamin was now 65 years old and had three children at home under the age of 9, he desired to move to a quiter location. As mentioned earlier, he sold his property and the newly built brick home to Jonathon Browning and purchased a large 50 acre farm on the outskirts of Nauvoo. Benjamin and all of his sons participated in the building of the Nauvoo Temple. One of his sons, Richard, was called on a mission to the Wisconsin Pineries. Here he served on a Council of Directors under Bishop George Miller (who was called at the death of Bishop Edward Partridge) where he was involved in making a schedule of every man’s property and making a general distribution under an order similar to the law of consecration. While on his Mission Richard was involved in cutting down pine trees, which were then floated down the Mississippi River to Nauvoo where they ultimately were used in the building of the Temple according to family history two of his sons were called on proselyting missions in the Eastern States. Because Benjamin’s son, Charles and wife Mary Ann, had become so close to Joseph and Emma the Prophet invited Charles to be one of his personal bodyguards. In 1839 the Prophet had called Charles to the First Quorum of the Seventies. He was ordained by Joseph Young. In December 1844, Charles was made the Senior President of the Nineteenth Quorum of Seventies, Joseph’s bodyguards used the system that when it was Charles turn to take over on guard duty, one of the men previously on duty would ride to the top of the hill close to the Bird home and take off his hat and wave it. Charles would wave back to let them know that he had received the signal to come and take over. Charles had been on duty the day before the Prophet was murdered and had gone back home for fresh clothing and supplies for the Prophet and the men imprisoned with him. The day the Prophet was killed, the messenger rode to the top of the hill, dismounted his horse, knelt on the ground and bowed his head, Charles knew by the sad motion the the Prophet was dead. Charles went into town, and it was his team and wagon that carried the bodies of the prophet and his brother Hyrum away from the team and wagon that carried the bodies of the Prophet and his brother Hyrum away from the Mansion House. Charles was always proud of his wagons and outstanding teams and always kept them in excellent condition. It is ironic that the hill on which the messenger knelt to signal Charles that the Prophet had been murdered is the same hill on which the old graveyard now stands. After the death of the Prophet Joseph, the Birds along with the other Saints worked under armed guard to complete the Temple. Most of the Birds received their endowments on the third floor rooms of the Nauvoo Temple. In the large third story at the front of the building was where the dressing rooms and chambers for the preparatory ordinances were located. They were sealed to their spouses in the large rectangular room beneath the Gable. In fact, Nauvoo Temple records indicate that Charles Bird was an ordained Temple worker, which means that he worked night and day to assist those Saints who desired to receive their special endowments to do so, before the mob could destroy their Temple or drive them out. In two months (December 10, 1845 to February 5, 1846) Charles assisted the more than 5,000 Saints who were endowed in the Nauvoo Temple in the twelve and a half hour ceremony. This included washings and anointing’s, the endowment and the sealing of families. The ceremony was basically the same as it is today except it was acted out on platforms, sheets were hung from the ceiling to make rooms or compartments and there were several lengthy discussions instructing the candidates on the covenants they were entering into. Emma was so concerned that the mobocrats would dig up the body of her husband, the Prophet Joseph and desecrate his grave for the $1,000.00 reward that was pending for him “dead or alive”, that she had ten men bury the remains of her husband and Hyrum in the basement of the Nauvoo House. Because at least ten people knew that they were buried there, her concern continued to mount, until one night she appeared at the home of Charles Bird and asked that he be one of the four trusted men to help her rebury the bodies in a secret tomb near the old Spring House, near the Old Homestead. Charles used his team and wagon. They loaded the dirt from the floor of the Old Homestead. Charles used his team and wagon. They loaded the dirt from the floor of the cellar of the Old Spring House onto the back of Charles wagon. Charles then drove his wagon out as far as he could into the back of Charlie’s wagon. Charles then drove his wagon out as far as he could into the Mississippi River and unloaded the dirt, thereby leaving no evidence that the martyrs were buried there. Then Charles, Emma and the three loyal friends dug up the coffins from the Nauvoo House put them in Charles’ wagon and drove them across the street to the old Spring House and secretly reburied them. Emma’s trust and confidence in these four men was so complete that she did not tell anyone, not even her own children, where Joseph was buried, until on her death bed some 14 years later. What a special tribute to the integrity of Charles Bird and his reciprocal love towards Joseph, Hyrum and Emma. Benjamin and his sons and their families were present after the martyrdom when Sidney Rigdon claimed that he was the guardian of the Church. They witnessed President Brigham Young transfigured into the voice, appearance and personality of the Prophet Joseph Smith and felt the Spirit bear witness to their souls that the Twelve should preside. In January 1846, the presiding Brethren decided to move west. President Brigham Young, knowing that Charles had one of the best teams of horses in the City of Nauvoo. He asked Charles if he would be the first person to cross the Mississippi River on the ice. On February 25, 1846, Benjamin Freeman Bird stood under the old tree at the end of Teardrop Lane and watched his son drive his loaded wagon across the frozen river to see if the ice was firm enough to cross. Because several of the Birds’ were weavers by trade, Benjamin and his sons and their families were asked to remain at Council Bluffs and Winter Quarters and assist in the outfitting of the emigrant Saints. Many had been driven out of their homes without an opportunity to take the necessary clothing and other items that they would need to make the long trek into the wilderness to they knew not where. The Bird family set up a woolen mill, of sorts, similar to the one that they had at Nauvoo, and thereby assisted in the emigration of the thousands of homeless Saints. In 1850 the Brethren invited the Bird families to come west. They emigrated with the Milo Andrus Company. There were 206 persons and 51 wagons in the Company. On this train with Benjamin Freeman Bird were his wife and small children and Richard and James with their families. This was the first company of emigrating Saints for the season, leaving Missouri in June of 1850. They took the pioneer trail on which the year before trains had passed which had been stricken with cholera. As the pioneers moved along they saw the bones of their dead comrades, as their bodies had been ripped out of their shallow graves by wolves and other scavengers and scattered over the country side. Benjamin’s son William marched with the Mormon Battalion in the historic trek that has come to be known as the symbol of dedication and patriotism of the Latter-Day-Saint people. To show the magnanimity and noble characters of the Bird’s and their spouses, and the love the Bird’s felt for their spouses, the sacrifices of Charles’ wife Mary Ann Kennedy, is illustrative. Mary Ann, after leaving her comfortable home in Hampton New York (She was the daughter of a doctor) experienced the apostasy of the Kirtland era and of the Far West War with six children under the age of 11 and at the time was six months pregnant. She bore child while destitute in the wilderness before reaching Nauvoo, bore three children at Nauvoo, one at Winter Quarters, one while crossing the plains at Council Point and another at Salt Lake City. This means that she bore children at or near every major church historical site during these periods of driving’s and persecutions. She was pregnant and had a small family to care for during those times of serious trial when so many people of less character left the church. Mary Ann recalled having seen her come being burnt to the ground by the mobs four times during her lifetime as she is fleeing with her family for their lives. On one occasion, Charles and Mary Ann and their small family found themselves in the middle of the wilderness in the snow. They had to abandon their wagon containing all that they owned in this world. Mary Ann, pregnant, so over-extended herself in the care of her small family that her toes on one foot became so seriously frost bitten that she had to have them amputated without anesthesia. When the Charles and Mary Ann Bird family eventually arrived in Salt Lake City, they had only the clothes on their backs as possessions, but were grateful to be alive. The Bird families had paid a dear price indeed, to be gathered in the tops of the mountains to worship the God of Abraham. Soon after arriving in Salt Lake City, Benjamin had the privilege of being present when Apostle George A. Smith called his son James Bird to be the first Bishop of the Provo Second Ward and was also present when Elder Smith ordained him to that Office. Because of his advancing age and the trials he had been subjected to for the last 14 years, Benjamin found the peaceful seclusion of the Rocky Mountains particularly delightful. Several of the Bird families settled in the beautiful area of Springville and there Benjamin enjoyed the association of many of his numerous grandchildren and watched them wax strong in the Gospel. Benjamin crossed over into the Spirit world a content and happy man in 1862 and is buried near the home of his dreams in Springville, Utah References: Family Bible of Benjamin Freeman Bird LDS Temple Records Stake and Ward Records in the possession of Clifford J. Stratton The Documentary History of the Church Numerous family histories and family records in the possession of C.J. Stratton

Jane Singleton Biography

Contributor: SouthPawPhilly Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Jane was the only member of the Singleton children to remain a Mormon and spend the rest of her life in Utah. As the eldest of the children, being born in Nickbrig, Lancashire, England on January 23, 1825, she had sailed from Liverpool, at age 19, with her family on the Godship Susquehanna in 1844. Her boyfriend, John Farnsworth, went to see her off, then decided to come with them to America without saying goodbye to his parents. He and Jane were married when they landed in New York. Being an only child and knowing that he had not asked permission to come, he grew homesick and as soon as he could earn enough money, they returned to England to see them and make amends. John Farnsworth was the son of Edward Farnsworth and Ellen Brindle--born on May 18, 1821, in Blackrod, Lancashire, England. A daughter, Mary, was born to John and Jane in Manchester, England on January 11, 1847. After they had been there awhile and made peace with John's family, they were happy to return to America. Jane had learned to weave in England, so found work as a weaver until they returned to America. When they came back to America, the Singleton family was living in Frankfort, Pennsylvania, so John and Jane joined them there. Their second daughter, Alice, was born there on July 18, 1848. John died in Frankfort eighteen months later, on August 22, 1850, leaving Jane to raise the two little girls. The Singleton family started west in the summer of 1852. Jane drove a team for Geogrte Lord, who had married her sister, Arabella. By driving the team to Salt Lake City, she paid for their way. Jane and her mother, Betty, also did the cooking for the group to pay for the family's board. Along in another group in the wagon train, was Judathan Averett. he rode a lot of the time on the wagon with Jane while crossing the plains. Judathan was already married to Holly Jane Tingle and this made her very jealous. When they got to Salt Lake City, they were married in the Endowment House on September 6, 1852. Jane said she would marry him, but she wouldn't be sealed to him because she wanted to be sealed to her first husband. Judathan said that was alright. Jane was sealed to John Farnsworth on March 31, 1854 in the Endowment House, as well as were her two small girls, as Judathan stood for John in the sealing. The story goes that after about a half-hour after Jane and Judathan went to bed that first night, Holly Jane went into their bedroom and beat them both with a frying pan. Four children had been born to Holly Jane and Judathan before his marriage to Jane--one was Judathan Hardy Averett who, in 1875, married Alice Farnworth, Jane's second daughter (they were step-sister and step-brother). Holly Jane and Jane both had a child by Judathan in 1853. Holley Jane divorced Judathan in two or three years and married Samuel Edwards. Judathan Averett was born June 12, 1816, in Chesterfield, bucks County, North Carolina. His father, Hardy Averett was born in 1794, in Jamestown, Virginia. Drugola Meadows, his mother, was born in 1796 in Canada. hardy and Drucilla had a family of twelve boys and one girl, Temperance. They called her "Tempy". They had nicknames for all the boys, also. Judathan said, "when they were all young, their mother would tell the oldest one to do something, then he would tell the next one to do it, and the next one would tell the next one, until the youngest would end up doing it." Drugola joined the Mormon Church and came to Coonville, Iowa, when Judathan and family lived there. She stayed there awhile--when she returned back home to Hardy, he wouldn't live with her because she had joined the church. Hardy wouldn't have anything to do with Judathan either after he joined the church. Hardy and Drucilla are buried in the Averett Cemetery, Perry County, Alabama. Judathan married Holly Jane Tingle on August 11, 1836 in Marion, Perry County, Alabama. She was born April 15, 1818 in Bibbsville, Bibbs County, Alabama. She dies September 27, 1893 in Springville, Utah and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery there. From this marriage they had five or six children. One small girl burned to death and three came to Utah with them--Chalres Washington, who married twice and had fourteen children and is buried in Mt. Pleasant, Utah--Judathan Hardy (called "Tobe") married Alice Farnworth, had eight children and is buried in Springville, Utah--William Clark who married Annie Coates and died in Idaho. Elizabeth jane, who was born in 1854 in Salt Lake City, married John Blackett, had ten children and died in Springville, Utah. Judathan and Holly Jane became converts to the Mormon Church while they were living in Marion, Alabama. Jueathan was baptized about 1833 in Alabama by James Brown. Judathan presided over a branch of the church there for several years. They move dot Nauvoo, Illinois, after the death of the Prophet Joseph Smith. When they left Nauvoo in the spring of 1846, they had three small children. they shared in all the persecutions and hardships of the pioneers. While on the Missouri River in July of 1846, Judathan volunteered for the Mormon Battalion and was mustered into Co. "D" under Captain Nelson Higgins. Leaving his wife and children with only one-half pan of flour for food and no means of support. The people in Winter Quarters must have been good, hard-working people--the men had been told their families would be taken care of while they were gone. He traveled with the Battalion to Santa Fe, New Mexico and was then detached to Pueblo, Colorado under the command of Captain James Brown. When the Battalion was discharged, he came to Salt Lake City, but his wife and family weren't there so he returned to Winter Quarters to join them. They resided in Janesville, Iowa for five years. Judathan and his family started west early in the summer of 1852. It was in this wagon train that he met Jane Singleton Farnworth and later took her as his second wife. Judathan and Jane lived in Salt Lake City for five years. Judathan worked for Brigham Young on his farm and also worked in the first flour mill there. Their first two children were born there--John Farnworth Averett, born July 24, 1853, and Jane, born January 18, 1856. In 1857, they moved to Springville, Utah--arriving on Xmas Day. Judathan and Jane built a small adobe house on the back of the lot at second East and first North. They lived in this while they built a larger home on the corner, where they lived and reared th sir family. They had five more children--all born in Springville, Utah: Hardy, born January 5, 1858; Benjamin, born April 20, 1860; Priscilla Eliza, born June 16, 1862 (died February 6, 1879); David, born February 26, 1864; and George, born January 23, 1866. All married and had families of their own. All of Jane's family came to Springville with her. She thought they were going to stay, but the Bishop cam and told her father, Robert Singleton, to take another wife. Robert didn't say anything, but left the following morning at four o'clock, taking part of the family with him. His wife, Betty, didn't go and she worked as a mid-wife while Jane took care of the younger children. Jane stayed, as well as Eliza, who had married George Robinson. In a few years, Eliza's husband took a second wife, so she took their daughter, Rebecca, and joined her family in California. Judathan's occupation in Springville was farming, caring for bees, and selling honey. Jane helped him in all of this. She always took a quilt for him to lie on when they went to the field to work--he had suffered an illness while serving with the Mormon Battalion which caused him to tire easily. He would work awhile, then lie down awhile and then work again. As soon as Jane could, she had a Mr. Bartholomew make a loom for her. This loom was the first one in Springville. She raised her own cotton and had her own sheep for the wool, so she could weave all their clothes, blankets, spreads, and linsey for the men's clothing. She dyed the yarn to make the bedspreads. She did weaving for others to help make the living for her family. She washed the wool and cotton, and corded it. Then they worked the wool or cotton back and forth until it was in a roll. Then they stretched it to look like a string and wound it on a spool. This was called the warp or thread for the cloth. Then they put it on the loom and would weave the material. In later years, she wove rugs and carpets. Once, after Jane had done some weaving for a lady, the lady picked it up and paid for it. That night, when Jane checked her figures, she found she had over-charged the lady three cents. That night she walked across town to return the three cents before she went to bed. Judathan and all his boys were very good carpenters, as well as great hunters and trappers, a trait which has been carried on through the generations among his descendants. Judathan and the boys hauled rocks for foundations and logs out of the canyon. They usually got these from White River, up Spanish Fork Canyon. The boys were always playing jokes on their father. One time, they were coming back from the canyon with a load of logs when a wasp stung Judathan. The boys saw the wasp, but he didn't, so they told him it was a black-widow spider. He wanted to hurry home but the boys stopped on the way out of the canyon to fix dinner. It wasn't until they came home that they told him it was only a wasp and Jane certainly gave them a tongue-lashing! When they went to the canyon to get ties or logs for the railroad or for others, Judathan always did the cooking for them. One time, when they had been up in the canyon for a week, they were talking about how they would never eat bear meat--they would rather starve! After finishing the meal they were eating at the time, their father said, "Well, one of you boys had better go get some kind of meat to eat because what you have been eating for the last two days is bear meat!" Judathan fought in the Black Hawk Indian War. He was always known as a quiet, but busy man. Judathan walked many times to St. George, Utah, to do Temple work. Both he and Jane were devoted members of the Mormon Church. They taught their children to be honest and true to people in everything they did. On March 17, 1887, George Averett married Mary Alice Mason in the Temple in Logan, Utah. All of Jane's and Judathan's family went to Logan with them. They went on the train from Springville to Salt Lake City. John Averett took them to the train in Springvillle, where George realized he had forgotten his recommend. George and John ran the horses back home to get the recommend, and all the way to Provo to catch the train. Then John brought the team back slowly to Thorn's Delivery Stables in Springville. john said he went down to the stables the next morning to see if the houses were dead but they were fine. The Averett family stayed in Salt Lake City all night and on to Logan the next day where the two young ones were married. They also had all of Jane's and Judathan's children sealed to Jane and John Farnsworth as he had promised before he married Jane. After George and Hardy were married, they lived in the large home they had built. Hardy lived in the east half and George in the west half. They fixed the small home in the rear for Jane--she had always kept her loom in this home anyway. When she didn't feel like living or staying with one of her son's families, she could stay in this house. Hardy lived in the larger house until he died. The house is still being lived in by descendants of theirs. Judathan married a third wife, Mary Banner (I do not have this date). She was born May 26, 1835, in Belphuh, Derbyshire, England, and died December 12, 1893 in Springville, Utah. After they couldn't live with all their wives, the authorities watched Judathan very closely. He had other members of the family take food and other things down to Mary Banner Averett, as he couldn't go around her. There were different people who would listen at the window and even climb on the roof to listen or see if they were living in polygamy. If caught, the polygamist would be fined $500 or put in jail and the one who caught them got part of all of the money. Upon the death of Benjamin Wheeler, husband of Jane's daughter, Jane, another move took place. Jane moved her loom to her daughter's house and lived there to help her daughter raise her family. They both worked on the loom and did weaving. Jane died on January 5, 1894, just 18 days before her 69th birthday. She was buried in the City Cemetery in Spsringville, Utah. Alice Farnworth Averett cared for Judathan in his later years. She was his step-daughter, as well as his daughter-in-law. He died on January 7, 1902, in Springville, Utah at the age of 85 years, 6 months and 26 days and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery there. --The foregoing history of Jane and Judathan Averett was compiled from biographies written by Eva Barker Hone, great-granddaughter of Jane, with help from Bessie Averett Gourley, Jane's granddaughter. Also from a biography by Effie Averett Johnson, granddaughter of Jane (Alice Farnworth Averett's daughter). (pages 33, 35-36) White, Gloria Gillespie, Eliza Lives: The History & Recollections of the Pioneer Robert Singleton Family, Newport Beach, California, 1984 (Copy in the San Bernardino Public Library, CalRM 920 WHI).

Life timeline of Juduthan Averett

Juduthan Averett was born on 12 Jun 1816
Juduthan Averett was 9 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
Juduthan Averett was 16 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Juduthan Averett was 24 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Juduthan Averett was 43 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Juduthan Averett was 46 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Juduthan Averett was 59 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Juduthan Averett was 69 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Juduthan Averett was 80 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Juduthan Averett died on 7 Jan 1902 at the age of 85
Grave record for Juduthan Averett (12 Jun 1816 - 7 Jan 1902), BillionGraves Record 29073 Springville, Utah, Utah, United States