Josiah Marsh Ferrin

22 Jan 1834 - 19 Jun 1904

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Josiah Marsh Ferrin

22 Jan 1834 - 19 Jun 1904
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Josiah Marsh Ferrin (22 Jan 1834 - 19 Jun 1904) at Ogden City Cemetery in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Josiah Marsh Ferrin


Ogden City Cemetery

1875 Monroe Blvd.
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States


May 13, 2012


May 10, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Josiah Marsh


Josiah Marsh Ferrin is buried in the Ogden City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



"Journal of Josiah Marsh Ferrin" (22 January 1834 – 19 June 1904)

Contributor: Duckwalker Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

. . . Wednesday 13th [July 1870] At 10 a.m. went on board the S. S. ship Manhattan, in which we were emigrating about 250 souls. The following elders were among the number, Brother Carl Measer [Karl G. Maeser], H. Farr, L. W. Shurtliff, L. M. Grant, J. T. Richards, Charles Thurmway, Levi Garret, George [-], John Luddmen, Samuel Price, William Pidcock, Nephi Pratt, H. B. Clemonds, H. O. Spencer, Thomas Rogers, Thomas Richardson and myself all cabin passengers. At 11:25 a.m. we cast off the tender and let laid waving our handkerchiefs on farewell to our friends & we started on our voyage over the great Ocean. It was a pleasant day, and is as nice cabin. Down the Irish Channel passed Hollyhead at 5:30 p.m. I then wrote some letters back to the Saints in the evening. Several of the Saints began to be seasick. At 8 p.m. we assembled for prayers. Went to bed and enjoyed a good nights rest. Thursday 14th Most on board were well, but some complained of seasickness. It was a fine day, and at 9:30 we sailed into the bay at Queenstown, which is situated on a nice little bay on the Coast of Ireland. At 11 a.m. we made our way out to sea again and found it very rough with a headwind. And soon a good many were very sick, I was sick all night. Friday 15th Still a headwind. I was very sick all day and many of the brethren were suffering in the same manner, and many of the Saints also. Saturday 16th A head wind and a very rough sea. Lots of seasickness both in the cabin and below. Sunday 17th I got up and went on deck, felt a little better. Went below found some of the Saints recovering. At dinner I discovered that my appetite was returning. Slept well at night. Monday 18th I arose feeling much better, I have myself, and cut off my mustache. 2 years today I sailed from New York on my way over to England. I just begin to enjoy my meals. Ship fare as follows in the cabin, breakfast at half past 8 a.m., lunch at 12:30 p.m., dinner at 4, tea at 7 p.m. Everything that a man need to wish for, at on the table. Saw some porpoises, passed 2 ships, one of the National Steamline bound for Liverpool. Tuesday 19th Had a fare wind during the night. At 9:30 this morning a little German child died, 7 months old. It was very sickly when they left home. There was also on German child born this morning, its name is Christian Julius Feller. At 10 a.m. we met in the steerage and held meeting and several of the elders were called on to speak, and we had a good time. It was so cold, and wet Sunday that we had no meeting. Wednesday 20th It is a fine day and all on board is feeling much better. Passed several vessels, some fishing smack. Also at night sister Eliza Gleddhill gave birth to a fine daughter, and its name is [-]. Thursday 21st The Saints are generally feeling in good spirits. Nice smooth sea. Today saw a black whale not far from the ship. We amuse ourselves with pitching quilts upon deck also with checkers in the cabin and reading, writing &c the pass off the time. Friday 22nd Passing the banks of Newfoundland and all is progressing nicely on board. We have prayers in the steerage every morning at 9 a.m. the evening at 8. The brethren officiating in turns as they are called upon by President Maeser. There is an excellent spirit that prevails among the elders and also among the Saints on board. The officers of the Manhattan are also gentlemen in every sense of the word. At least to every appearance. The ship is commanded by Captain William Forsythe first mate Mr. Morgan second, Mr. Lasley 3rd , Mr. Gibson 4th , Mr. [-]. The Manhattan is a ship of 210 tons burden and is a nice ship. Saturday 23rd All is moving along nicely and all on feeling will the sea is nice and calm today. Sunday 24th A fine day, at 10:30 a.m. We attended the an Episcopalian service in the cabin and at 2 p.m. we met for our service in the steerage and several of the cabin passengers came down to listen to us. Brother Masear [Maeser] Shurtliff addressed meeting in a very [p. 80] interesting manner. We enjoyed the the [SIC] meeting very much, (The 2 children that were born Tues., were blessed. The girl was given the name of Anna Manhattan, the boy's name was changed from Christian Julius to Orsen Manhattan. At prayer time in the evening, there was some good council given to the Saints about their journey home. After landing at New York I was called into preside at prayer. Monday 25th The sea is very rough this morning, and the consequence is there is considerable of seasickness. Brother [Edwin or Ephraim] & Sister [Josephine] Hinger [Inge] from London, lost their little babe [Edwin or Ephraim] this morning at about half past 9. It had been sickly from it's birth, but had been very bad for some days passed. The mother takes it very hard, to think that her little one must be consigned to a watery grave. We seen this morning 15 fishing smacks at one time. We also passed the "James Foster," a sailing ship, bound for New York, but it seemed a very slow process as we steamed by, and left her in the rear, as she was making her way against a head wind. We have had a head wind all the time since we left Liverpool, except one night. Therefore, we have had to make all of our heading by steam. Tuesday 26th At 4 a.m. we cast anchor at Statan Island. At 6, raised anchor and sailed in to the Harbor at New York , landed at 9 a.m. Myself and Elder Rodgers was sent off with the cabin luggage. We all put up with the Stephen House, had dinner, then we went to see Brother Staines. We then proceeded to Castle Garden, and assisted the Saints to get their luggage through the custom house. After this was all accomplished, I went in company with Brother Pidcock, Farr Richards, Rogers, Grant, & Sisters Campbell and Fanny to see the Central Park, we went up in a street car, distance 6 miles. We hired a carriage to drive us around the park which we enjoyed very much. After spending a few hours there we returned by the street car. We went and saw that the Saints were as comfortable as they could be under the circumstances in the Castle Gardens. Then returned to the Stephen House where we remained all night. Distances of each day sail from Liverpool to New York: Wed. July 13th and Thur. July 14th 497 miles Fri. July 15th 205 miles Sat. July 16th 222 miles Sun. July 17th 209 miles Mon. July 18th 263 miles Tues. July 19th 216 miles Wed. July 20th 268 miles Thur. July 21st 265 miles Fri. July 22nd 267 miles Sat. July 23rd 257 miles Sun. July 24th 230 miles Mon. July 25th 165 miles ------------------------- Total Distance from Liverpool to N. Y. 3064 miles Wednesday 27th We got all preparations made for our journey on the cars & at 1 p.m. we crossed the river to the Jersey side, and at 5 we started homeward bound. We lay at Philadelphia 3 hours and left at 12 o'clock at night. Thursday 28th We stopped 20 min. at Harrisburg for breakfast, then proceeded and arrived at Pittsburgh at 10:30 p.m. Here we had to change cars, and the Saints had [p. 82] to lie in the station on the floors until 6 next morning, when we resumed our journey again. L. W. Shurtliff and myself slept at the Union Hotel, paid $1.00 a piece for a bed. Friday 29th I went with the company as far as Homewood Station. Then I took leave of them and went to Erie City, Pennsylvania, distance about 100 miles. Arrived at 1:30 p.m. at Eric Station then proceeded to hunt up Aunt Maria Landen, and found them at 116 Fourth West Street. Introduced myself and was received very kindly by my Aunt. I soon had a good wash and change of clothing, and felt much better after my long ride. Found Aunt and family all well, and during the afternoon and evening we had a very pleasant chat. Uncle Daniel G. Landen was not at home, he was away at work, and also the eldest daughter was not at home. Saturday 30th I arose in the morning feeling much better after a good nights rest. In the afternoon Aunt and myself visited the Erie City water works. These works is for the purpose of raising the water of the Lake for the use of the city. For this purpose they have a powerful engine which raises 182 gallons, at each stroke, a height of 300 feet. Which amounts to about one million gallons per day. To hold this water they have a large tube or standpipe 240 feet above ground, and this is surrounded by a brick wall with steps inside so the visitor can go on top. And here he can have a beautiful view of the city, and surrounding country. At 8 p.m. I visited the Iron works and saw them make a run of ore. They make two runs a day of 14 tons each one at 8 a.m. the other at 8 p.m. Sunday 31st I went to the Methodist Church with Aunt Maria, to hear the reverend Mr. Dobs preach. In the afternoon we took a walk through the city, I found Aunt very agreeable company. Monday Aug. 1st 1870 At 10:25 a.m. I took train for Albion 25 miles, walked to Welsburg 2 miles, and went to Aunt Olives. She married a man by the name of Charles Sherman. After dinner Uncle and me took a walk. Visited the cemetery then went to the Cheese factory. The afternoon was spent very pleasantly as I was received very kindly by them all. I remained all night. Tuesday 2nd I arose early feeling well and when cousin George, Uncle Richard's son, came over to the factory with the milk, I rode home with him to Lundgs Lane. I went in and introduced myself to Aunt Nancy Powell, & cousin Maria. They wanted some fun with Aunt Nancy Rush, she being sick , they introduced me as the doctors student. The joke took well after some prescriptions for the sick, &c, explanations were made and we had a good laugh over the matter. After a while I went over to Aunt Mary Ann Winchesters, she was much pleased to see me. She had heard that I had arrived. I enjoyed the day very much as all of my relations received me very kindly. Wednesday 3rd In the afternoon, Uncle Isaac & his son Adelbert came along and I went home with them in the carriage. Found Aunt Susan very sick, the fever was broke, but she was left very low, but was recovering slow. I stayed all night. Thursday 4th At 10 a.m., as cousin Edgert was going, passed Uncle Richards. I returned with him to the carriage & spent most of my time with Aunt Nancy Rush as she is sick and very nervous. She is at Uncle Richards at present Friday 5th After breakfast cousin Maria and me went out to pick blackberries, and got 9 quarts in about one house and we enjoyed the pleasure very much. She is nice intelligent young lady. She is the youngest daughter of Uncle Spain Powell. After dinner I went over to Aunt Mary Ann's, had a good chat. I then wrote a while in my journal. I remained there all night. Saturday 6th I went and got Aunt Nancy R. [Rush] in the carriage, and took her over to Aunt Mary Ann. We had a very nice visit, during I wrote 3 letters. In the evening I went over to Albion with Uncle Richard. I returned with him and stayed all night with him. Sunday 7th Uncle, Aunt, cousin Friddy, & myself went to Crainsville to a Sunday school concert. The singing & reciting was very good. There was several very nice essays read just previous to closing. They called upon me to address the school a few minutes, which I did. We remained to the service in the afternoon and heard the Reverend Mr. Hammer (of the Methodist persuasion.) I returned home with Uncle Richard. Monday 8th Remained at Uncle Richards all day visiting. Tuesday 9th After breakfast, Uncle R. [Richards] went with his team and took cousin Maria and me to Welsburg as we were going to Erie City. We then took the hack to the station and at 12:30 we took train for Erie. When we got to Aunt Maria's we found them just pulling down their kitchen to rebuild. After tea we had a walk to see the ships and boats on the lake and in the docks. The latter were much inferior to the English docks. Wednesday 10th Cousin Maria and me went up to the photograph galley, and had ourselves shot. We had 32 pictures each taken which cost $1.50 each. We then went into a jeweler's shop and I made a purchase of a gold ring, which was presented to me by Aunt Nancy Rush, price $6.00. After dinner we had a walk up to see the cemetery. It is the finest place of the kind that I ever visited. There is many large fine marble monuments. There was a large granite monument 30 feet high and 10 feet square at the base. We enjoyed the walk very much. When we returned I meet with Isaac Vanuleck of New York, one of my second cousins, he was out here on a visit from New York. Thursday 11th At 9:30 I took my leave for Buffalo, by rail thence by stage. The "Springville," arrived there at 8:30 p.m. Inquired for Ferrins and Jones store, went in and found cousin Clark. There made myself acquainted, then he hitched up his horse and carriage, and took me out to Uncle Philip's, one mile. It being late when we arrived, they were in bed. We called them up, had supper, and a good chat. Then retired to rest, feeling quite tired after my long ride. Friday 12th Arose in the morning feeling much refreshed. Uncle, and me took a walk out to see the farm. Philina Weber, Uncle Adney second daughter, she was just recovering from her conferment of a fine son. We returned to Uncle's in the evening. Saturday 13th I was writing most of the day, so Uncle was busy hauling grain. In the evening we went down to cousin Wards. In the grass carriage. Ella played on the organ and cousin Elizabeth sang for me, they play and sing well. . . . . . . Monday [Aug.] 29th The time having arrived for me to start home, I bid goodbye to Aunts Nancy, & Mary Ann and went over to Uncle Richards at 10 a.m. He hitched up his carriage, I said goodbye to the family, and he took me to the Albion Station and at 11:30 I took train for homeward, where I arrived at 3:30 p.m. We came down the Sharon River. At 4 I took train for Chicago by the Fort Wain line. Stopped at Alliance Ohio for supper then rode all night. Tuesday 30th At 6 a.m. stopped at Plymouth, Indiana for breakfast, and arrived at Chicago at 9 a.m. And 10:30 left by the North Western Line for Omaha, stopped at Dixon for dinner 98 miles from Chicago. At 4 p.m. we crossed the Mississippi at Fulton, & Clinton. I made the acquaintance of Mr. Horis F. Clark on his way to Denver. At 2 a.m. the engine and on baggage car broke loose run of the line, and it took about 3 hours to get it on and ready for running again. We had not proceeded, for when the train broke in two, the engine and car running off and leaving the rest of us on the line. In about 15 minutes it returned, hitched on, and away we went. Wednesday 31st We arrived at Omaha at 11 a.m., and had to wait until 6 p.m. before starting west. So I had a stroll around town. At 6 p.m., it rained like [-], and I got all wet going to the train. All got aboard and we started west, rode all night. Thursday 1st Sept. At 8 a.m. found us at the Lone Tee Station. Stopped for breakfast 120 miles from Omaha. At 8 p.m. we arrived at North Platte 71 miles, here a Scotch women stopped to bury her baby. It died a few minutes before we stopped. We rode all night again. Friday 2nd At 6 a.m. we stopped for breakfast at Sidney 123 miles. At 4 p.m. passed Cheyenne 102 miles, at 9 p.m. arrived at Laramie 57 miles. Left at 12 at night arrived at Medicine Bow at 6 a.m. 72 miles. Saturday 3rd At 12 midnight we arrived at Fort Steel 48 miles, and 2 o'clock at night arrived at Bryan 162 miles. Sunday 4th 8 a.m. arrived at Evanston 99 miles, and arrived at Ogden City at 3 p.m. And found waiting at the station my wife, 2 sons James & Moroni, Brother W. Farr & family, also Brother Orson Bagger, waiting my arrival [-]. Were all very glad to see each other. We went home with Brother W. Farr, had something to eat, then made our way home. Arrived at Eden about 8 p.m., found the children all well and glad to see father after being gone 2 years 3 months, lacking 11 days. . . . BIB: Ferrin, Josiah M., Journal (Ms 12085), 5p. pp. 78-86, 90-92. (CHL)

Life timeline of Josiah Marsh Ferrin

Josiah Marsh Ferrin was born on 22 Jan 1834
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 6 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 26 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 29 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 41 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 50 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin was 61 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Josiah Marsh Ferrin died on 19 Jun 1904 at the age of 70
Grave record for Josiah Marsh Ferrin (22 Jan 1834 - 19 Jun 1904), BillionGraves Record 1083480 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States