Joseph Hyrum Petersen

25 Jan 1878 - 12 Oct 1960

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Joseph Hyrum Petersen

25 Jan 1878 - 12 Oct 1960
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

I, Joseph Hyrum Petersen, was born 'under the covenant' 25, Jan 1878 at Wanship, Summi, Utah. My father was Andrew Petersen and my mother was Caroline Dorothea Dabelstien. Having embraced the gospel in Denmark they with four children came to Utah in 1866 with the Joseph S. Rawlings Ox team Company.

Life Information

Joseph Hyrum Petersen

Married: 18 Jun 1924

Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


Bill, Mike Temple ?

Headstone Description

unable to read script at bottom


June 8, 2011


April 13, 2020

Lela Ungaro

April 9, 2020

Aunty Bec

April 4, 2020

F D Dennis

April 3, 2020


April 6, 2020


June 8, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Joseph Hyrum


Joseph Hyrum Petersen is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Joseph Hyrum Petersen's Autobiography

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I, Joseph Hyrum Petersen, was born "under the covenant" 25, Jan 1878 at Wanship, Summi, Utah. My father was Andrew Petersen and my mother was Caroline Dorothea Dabelstien. Having embraced the gospel in Denmark they with four children came to Utah in 1866 with the Joseph S. Rawlings Ox team Company. After moving to Wanship, my father who had followed his early trade of brick maker. I enjoyed the times I could accompany father to the brickyard. It was my privilege to ride the horse to mix the mud.Though there always was plenty of work to be done, father believed in the "all work and no play" adage. One day he and mother took us to seen Aunt Beritte Andrson who lived in Kamas. While the rest of the family was visiting, I began to scout around. Aunt Bergitte had one o hose little black and tan dogs, one of hose tiny sleek haired types, of which she was especially fond. the dog came in sight about this time and, seeing a barrel o rain water, an idea popped up. In a moment Mr. Dog was i the tub. Lucky for him Aunt Bergitte came out just at that time. I, not being so lucky, came in for a real share of her displeasure. Needless o say, my love for dogs of this type has not increased, even to the present day. Herding sheep also had its enticements and I always contrived to accompany George into the field o herd our sheep--about one hundred head in all. There was one old long tailed buck in the herd which always claimed my special attention. I did like to tease him. I would catch hold of his tail and hold tight with both hands while he ran about trying to get loose. When he did loosen my hold he would turn and bunt me over. He became a god bunter too for one day he knock me down 13 times, one after another, just as fast as I could get up. The last time he scored a victory bunting me into a river. It. was high water time and if George had not been near to help me out, I would have been washed down the river. As I had now attained the age of 8 years, it eel to my lot to help milk the cows night and morning, my father having one to seek work in Wyoming and from ere to Idaho. Milking was no light task either, for the neighbors, finding it necessary to leave home for a few days, would leave their herd for us to take care of also. As a result we found ourselves with a real herd of milk. One nigh mother, Nora, George and I were all out in he corral doing he milking. Due o the added number of cows, the coral was overcrowded. The cows began to fight and one cow hooked he cow that mother was milking caused it to push her backwards. She put her hand out to break her fall and broke her arm. George immediately went for Andrew who was working on the thresher some distance from home. Nora went into the house to care for mother while a neighbor went for the doctor. I was let to finish the milking. I milked 13 cows that night. Not long after Mothers accident, my father, finding no work, had returned home, and decided to go to Sam Wooley's saw mill for a load of lumber. The mill was up Weber Canyon about 25 miles from Wanship. Imagine my joy when he announced hat I might accompany him. We left home early in the morning and, arriving a the bridge about noon, a distance of about 15 miles, spped fed our horses and ate our dinner. thinking we could easily reach the mill, load the lumber and return to camp by nightfall, father let our bedding and food here and drove to the mill. We were in tall timbers and never having seen tall trees before. I continually watched their towering heights, until my poor neck was sill from looking skyward. On our way up the canyon we met Mr. Wooley coming down. father stopped and made arrangements for the luber. Mr. Wooley advised him to spend the night at the mill. Father thanked him and said he had left out food and bedding at the bridge and thought we could easily get back that far to camp for the night. By the time we reached the mill and loaded our lumber it was 6:00. In the meantime heavy rain clouds began to threaten a storm. Soon after we started down the canyon the rain began in earnest. Lightening flashed and thunder boomed from every side.It was a real mountain storm. Our road led across the canyon and up the steep hill. The load was a heavy one. The horses could have taken it up the hill over good roads but in this storm it was impossible. father and I unloaded a part of the 'umber and carried it up the hill. The horses pulled the rest of the load to the top. On reaching level, around again, father decided to camp for the night rather tan to face such a storm longer. He leaned some of he planks against the wagon to shelter us from the drenching rrain and finally coaxed a fire to bun near by which ave us some warmth. With a horse collar for my pillow and mother earth for my bed I finally fell asleep. As the fist streaks of daylight began to appear I was awakened and we again started our homeward journey. The storm had ceased and the sky cleared, but not so our troubles. We had to travel down a high dugway which was formed of heavy clay. Our wagon began to slip and slide as we slowly began our journey down its course. Suddenly the rear wheel slid to 'the brink of the canyon. Father called to me to jump and he tried to jump also. We both became entangled in he brake rope. Fortunately the wagon caught on something, which steadied it and it did not go over. The driver of the team coming up the canyon helped us cut ruts in the soft clay for our wheels to follow back up the road. He told father to get onto the load, use the whip and forget the brake until we reached the level ground. father was afraid to do this so our new-found friend climbed upon the load and brought it safely down the dugway for us. We arrived at the bridge about 8:00. I was so hungry I could hardly wait for father to prepare the breakfast. having finished it, we again started homeward, arriving there about 11:00 a.m. without further difficulties. it seemed that life was not always to go on smoothly for us at home. On Nov 26, 1887 I was called to the house and told that Mother was very ill. I was sent about a mile to tell Adam and Andrew to hurry home. I hurried away; little dreaming on my return that she would be leaving us. I returned with al the speed my short legs could muster and was met at the gate by sister Emma who asked me to hurry as dear Mother was dying. I was just in time to see her breathe her last breath. Mother had been suffering from appendicitis and it was this which caused her death. She was buried i Wanship Cemetery. Lonely though we were each day brought it's tasks. Father always turned our cows into hills to feed during the day and each night someone must find them and drive them home. One day I had been sent for the cows. They had wandered farther than usual and I could not find them. It was getting dark and from sheer vexation and disappointment, I began to cry, which is not an unheard of thing for a boy of 9 years old to do. I stopped suddenly for I heard my mother's voice clear and naural as when she was with us say, "Joseph, there are your cows." I looked and could see the cows very clearly a mile away on another slope and could have named each one so distinctly did I see them. I immediately wen to where they were feeding and drove them home. My schooling was o a limited nature. I remember being in school during the summer or early fall of my first school year. Usually I began school just after Thanksgiving or Christmas and had t stop about March to help with the farm work to necessary in he spring and fall. The hardest task I ever found in school was singing the multiplication tables each day when arithmetic class came. I knew the tables well but could not sing then. There was but one way to escape this task, i could take a whipping. the old hickory stick hung near the schoolmaster's desk and he, Arthur Brown, never failed to use i when my turn came to recite. School days, like all else, however, will have an end. I foun my days in the elementary school fast slipping by. As I was a lad of '17 years and large fr my age. I was often included in parties and enjoyed them very much. After school I had a variety of jobs including haying, woking for the Union Pacific Railroad, herding sheep, building reservoirs, planting wheat, working in the sample mill in Park City, working in timber and mining, all of which took me to arts of Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. I returned home in 1903. Homeward then I turned my- footsteps, thee followed days with Pleasure rife. 'Twas then I met sweet Eleanor Murdock, the following June she became my wife. With mother Murdock she left wee Roy, her baby son just three years old, And- went with me to old Park City, 'twas her mother's wish wee Roy to hold. We Made our home in old Park City, whose mountain depths I probed to pay, and provide a home for her each day. To us was born the following April, a baby boy our 'lives to bless. Ours was a home just brimming over with wondrous joy and happiness. One year passed by, again God blessed us--September brought a baby girl. But e're October's days had vanished, He called my darling from this world. And yet God blessed me without measure for my babes found tender care within the arms of Mother Murdock, with her own wee babes her love to share. She loved my treasures, ever taught them to do God's will, to walk his way. For her god help and loving kindness I turn with thanks to God today. Once more it became necessary to reconstruct my plan and mode of living. My father-in-law, Parley A. Murdock had been looking forward to the sheep business as a profession. He finally decided to do this, taking as his partners his son Joseph and myself. He and mo-11-her Lucy Murdock agreed to care for my children and to rear and educate them as hey would their own. I would o to the herd and look after the sheep. Together we were o work until the herd was paid for whenT1 I was to own my share, one third of the herd.

Joseph Hyrum Petersen

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Joseph Hyrum Petersen By Parley A. Petersen Joseph Hyrum Petersen was born 25 January 1878 in Wanship, Summit, Utah to Andrew and Dorothea Dabelstein Petersen. His early life was spent working on the family farm doing the usual chores and herding cows in the foothills. As he grew older he “hired out” working in the hay fields and at the wheat harvest time. His education was limited to the 6th grade. In the fall of 1898 he went to Park City to work in the silver mines. Here he met Eleanor Murdock. They were married 28 June 1904. Dad was 26 and Mother was 21. They lived happily in a small house on a steep hillside in Empire Canyon. Two children were born, Parley Alexander on 29 April 1905 and Dorothy Ireta on 27 Sept 1906. Mother passed away Oct. 20, 1906 from complications of childbirth. Our family moved to Heber City where dad went into the sheep business with our grandfather, Parley Alexander Murdock. We were raised in the family of our maternal grandparents. Dad spent most of his time with the sheep. He was a very active man, 6’1” tall and weighed 190 to 200 lbs. I can remember him only with white hair. He had blue eyes that twinkled and a happy disposition, interested in people, and very kind to everyone. He had endless energy. He was an excellent horseman, good with a rifle, and loved to fly fish. He had a good understanding of the sheep business. He was affectionately known as “Joe Pete”. In 1924 he married Erma Epsy Pace and made his home in Provo, Utah. Later he sold the sheep and the ranch and bought farm properties in Provo and Orem. The Provo property was located at 9th East and 8th North where there are about 40 homes now. He enjoyed his life and church activities and made many friends in Provo. One of his main interests was trying to find ore and develop a mine. He was a good father, husband and friend. His word was his bond. He died 12 Oct. 1960.

Lucy Agness White Williams Pace

Contributor: crex Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

I, Lucy Agness White was born April 19, 1868 at North Ogden, Weber Co., Utah, on my mother’s twenty-first birthday. I was born of good parents, who embraced the Gospel of Jesus Christ in their native land, England, and came to America. My father, Thomas Henry White left England in May 1863 with his widowed mother, Mary Rivers White and two brothers and one sister, viz: George Ofred, Amelia, and Earnest Authenia White. They arrived in New York harbor July 4, 1863 and crossed the Plains with Ox teams in Peter Nebeker’s Company (Independent). Father and Mother were married February 5, 1867 in Salt Lake City, later obtaining their endowments in the Endowment House August 15, 1868. My eldest sister, Mary Emily White was born in Salt Lake City January 13, 1867 and died April 10, 1867. She was buried in the City Cemetery. My father being a Machinist and Blacksmith by trade, which he had learned in his native land, England, worked in the Church shops and for James Currey making horseshoes out of scraps of iron. He also made horseshoe nails out of scraps of iron. He also made horseshoe nails out of scythe backs, sabers, gun barrels and old iron, drawing it to the size of a nail head to shoe horses and cattle. In 1868 my parents moved to Willow Creek, Box Elder Co., Utah, they did not live at this place long. In late summer or early spring they moved to North Ogden, Weber Co., Utah, where he bought his first home. Here they lived in a tent 14 feet by 14 feet with a board floor and boarded up the sides and ends about three or four feet high while they were building a new brick house. I was born in the tent. My father later moved to Farmington, Davis Co., Utah where he built a two story rock house near a hill. We lived here about twelve years. I, childlike, was fond of roaming up the hill in Summertime hunting for the beautiful wild flowers. One time in particular, while looking for flowers, I ran a large prickly pear thorn in my foot. I could not pull it out so I sat down and called and called father until he heard me and came to my rescue. I also remember a young lady coming to our home on a visit from Salt Lake. She loved to roam the hillside. She did not return as soon as my mother thought she should. We went in search of her and found her lying in an ant bed where she had fallen in a faint. Another incident I well remember when but a small child, - being very fond of my father I wanted to be with him. I went to the shop where he was at work welding and cutting iron. He cut off a scrap of hot iron which fell by the anvil. Though I was barefooted I went into the shop to watch father work. Not seeing the scrap of Iron I stepped upon it and burned my foot badly. Father wrapped it up and carried me about a block to the house where it was dressed. On my eighth birthday which was also my mother’s birthday, my parents were visiting an old friend, Ellen Ellis in North Ogden. Sister Ellis was making a large rice pudding and I, childlike was watching her. She said, “This is for your birthday, but you cannot have it all.” I have never forgotten her remarks. I was baptized by Oliver Robinson, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints June 3, 1877 at Farmington, Davis Co., Utah - in a running stream of water in Miller’s grove, near what is now known as Lagoon Resort. I was confirmed the same day. I began my schooling in 1876 or 77 at Farmington, being quick to learn I was placed in some classes with girls much larger than myself. I had to walk three miles to school. In winter the snow would sometimes become three feet deep. We would wait until the teacher and his son had gone on by horse, then we would follow in the trail made by the horse. In the spring of 1881, father was called by Bishop John W. Hess to go and help make a settlement on the Green River in South Eastern Utah. We left Farmington and journeyed southward to the old Friel farm between Prove and Springville. Here we had to wait several days for Joseph Ovard and family, from American Fork, who was going with father. Here David Leavitt, a young boy joined up and drove the cows on horseback. On the journey, water was scarce. Often father would have to make long drives to get to watering places, some of which were down in ravines of rock just wide enough to take one horse at a time to water. In some places we traveled up mountain sides of slate rock where it was almost impossible for the horses to pull our wagons. Our wagons were loaded with blacksmith tools, iron, etc., and one year’s provisions. In many places three or four span of horses would have to be hitched to one wagon to get to the top. To make a long story short, we arrived O.K., just a short distance above the ferry. It was rather a desolate, wild country with lots of Indians on the opposite side of the river. They came across on the ferry boat every day and would sit around and smoke what they called the Pipe of Peace. Father, being a blacksmith and not a farmer found little to do to enable him to make a living so did not stay there long. The same summer he moved to Salina, Sevier Co., Utah, where he rented homes and worked at his trade. On the journey back from Green River I rode a colt barely two years old and drove six or eight cows. One day we had to make a long drive to water. At noon we gave the cows and horses what water we had in our barrels. We did not get to the river until about ten o’clock that night. The cows were so thirsty they ran and we had to go without them. We camped on the White River - as near as I can remember - next morning our cows were not far away. I drove the cows into Salina and from there to North Salt Lake, where a dog ran out and barked at the horse I was riding. He threw me off, and I being but thirteen years of age was so badly frightened I would not ride him farther. In the fall of 1883 I went to Salt Lake City to live with my grandmother, Mary Rivers (White) Elvers and attended school. Father was successful in getting me into a private school taught by Camilla C. Cobb. Her school was over the Contributer Office on the Daniel H. Wells block where the Z.C.M.I. now stands. Every scholar loved the teacher who ruled by love and kindness. Sister Emmeline B. Wells was editor of the Contributor - a Relief Society magazine and had her office on the ground floor. She often remarked to the teacher how well trained her students were. We would go up and down stairs with very little noise. I attended school there one winter. In the fall of 1884 I came to Provo, Utah to attend the Brigham Young Academy when that school was held on the upper floor of the Z.C.M.I. warehouse. I attended school the winter of 1884-85 in the Academic Department. September 22, 1885 I was married to Willard Alexander Williams, by Benjamin Bachman, Sen. We lived in Provo 3rd Ward, corner of 1st North 6th West Street. The next spring I lost my first baby (premature birth) April 22, 1886. We moved to 1st North 5th West Street. The following winter my husband took sick and died, January 8, 1887 of Rheumatism of the heart and Dropsy. March 30, 1887 my daughter Willa Emily Williams was born at Layton, Davis Co., Utah in a small log house at mother’s home. In late spring I came back to Provo on a visit and in June I took my baby and went to Heber City, Wasatch Co., Utah, to cook for my father, who was working at his trade in the above place. My mother and family were still living on the farm at Layton, Utah. On November 6, 1888, I was married to Sidney Alexander Pace at his mother’s home in Provo by Bishop James W. Loveless. We lived in part of the old home in Provo 2nd Ward, corner 5 West and 3 South Street. Our daughter, Florence Isabelle was born July 31, 1889 in the same house in which her father was born. The following children were born there also. Viz: Mary Estella (b) March 3, 1891; Sidney Roy (b) August 7, 1893 and died October 3, 1894; and Erma Epsy (b) September 29, 1895. Willa and Florence both fell into the creek in front of the old home. Florence followed her grandmother Pace, with two of her cousins, Maud and Nellie Hoover (twins) down the creek to find her ducks, coming back Florence fell into the ditch. She, not being with her cousins when they returned, we went to the creek to look for her. She had fallen in and was floating down stream. Her uncle, Joseph V. Smith jumped in and pulled her out, none the worse for the ducking. Willa fell into the same ditch and if it had not been for the timely assistance of a neighbor, Milton Scoot, who saw her fall in, took her out and brought her to the door, might have drowned. It being wash day , we were very busy and had not missed her. In November 1895 we moved across the street to Stephen Bunnell’s home where we lived about one and one-half years. In April 1897 we moved to Provo Bench onto the Mrs. Robert A. Hills Sr. farm where we lived four years. At the above place Erma came near being drowned the first part of June, the same year we moved there. She was two and one half years old. I was preparing to wash and I went to the creek for a pail of water. My baby followed me there and back to the house. I put the water in the boiler, took a bucket of hot water out to the washer, a short distance from the house, under some trees. Looked for my baby and she was gone. Of course I felt she was in the ditch for I looked and called and she did not answer. I ran through the stack yard calling her, and no answer. No one believed she was in the ditch. Even my nearest neighbor, Mary Hills insisted she must be around the house somewhere. I was impressed she was in the ditch, and down the ditch I went as fast as I could. The banks were covered with a heavy growth of sweet clover on both sides. When I could get to an open space I would stop and took to see if I could see her. I felt as though a guide was behind me with a hand on each shoulder, saying in a still voice, “Hurry, don’t stop.” I went as fast as I could for one half of a quarter section, there I found my baby cold and stiff, washed up on the sand at the turn of the ditch. I screamed and soon a crowd had collected. The first to my rescue was Mr. Homer Davis who was watering a short distance away. He took Erma from me and rolled her on a fence pole. No water came out of her. By this time, Mary Hills, and all of the family was there. Sister Hills took the baby, sat down in the road and rolled her on her lap and legs. She sent for a blanket, took her wet clothes off and rolled her in a blanket. Mr. Davis carried her back home. Up to this time she did not show any sign of life. We held her over a large pan of hot water and mustard. About ten took part in putting the water upon her and rubbing her. All of the time I was praying for my baby. In the meantime we had sent for Dr. Walter R. Pike who came in due time. After about two hours Erma showed signs of life, but wanted to sleep all of the time. When the doctor came some time later he explained the cause of this was, those who had worked to save her had rubbed her so much it had worn her out and he said she might lie two or three days in the stupor. That night about nine p.m. Mrs. Hills came over to see how she was and brought her small son, Robert. Erma climbed out of my lap and played with him and was all right from then on. June 20, 1898 same month as above, Caddie Agness was born and while I was confined to my bed, the men putting up hay. Something went wrong with the hay pole and my husband climbed up on the ladder to fix it. The ladder slipped and fell. Erma was at the stack yard, bent over the wagon tongue. The ladder struck her on the head, knocking her almost unconscious. Her father brought her into the house; here was a second close call for her life in one month. Her guardian angel was ever with her that she might grow to womanhood and fill her mission here on earth. Thomas Byron was born August 3, 1900 at the Hills farm. In 1901 I was chosen recording Secretary of the Y.L.M.I.A. of Timpanogas Ward. The same year we moved to the John Jones Jr. farm where we lived two years. On August 10, 1902 I was released as secretary and sustained as President of the Y.L.M.I.A. 6 March 1903 of Timpanogas Ward. We moved to the Wm. Homer farm - across the road from the Timpanogas Meeting House March 6, 1903. Here our third son, Sidney Alexander was born March 7, 1903. During the winter we did the janitor work at the Spencer School House which helped us along. The following spring we moved to the Oto J. Poulson farm and the fall of 1904 bought our present home - ten acres for $1000 and made the first payment on it. On June 21, 1905 we went to the Salt Lake Temple and received our endowments. The following day we went through the temple again and had our family of eight children sealed to us. This was one of the happy days of my life. August 17, 1905, our youngest daughter, Cleo Donna was born. November 24, 1906, my eldest brother Thomas Henry White Jr. was killed at Bingham, Utah. This sad shock my mother never rallied from and she passed away August 13, 1907. I was sustained as secretary of the Timpanogas Ward Relief Society December 20, 1906. At this time I felt I had all I could do to take care of my family and of my husband’s father, William B. Pace, who had suffered a stroke in southern Utah and had come to live with us in 1902 or 3. President Julia E. Loveless said “If I would accept the position the Lord would bless me that I would be able to care for my family and perform the duties as secretary. The Lord has blessed me abundantly and I have also been blessed with good health and I have been able to perform all my duties faithfully for which I have been very thankful to my Heavenly Father. George Roland was born 12 November, 1908. Carl Alma, our youngest son was born November 3, 1911. In 1912 the Timpanogas Ward was divided and I was still held as secretary of the Relief Society of the new Sharon Ward, which position I held until October 5, 1920. I was chosen President of the Sharon Ward Relief Society at this time and released April 29, 1924. I was then sustained as teacher in May of the same year, which position I now hold. On May 19, 1924 I was sustained as secretary of the Genealogical Class of Sharon Ward, which position I still hold. This is one of the most important organizations of the church. I thank my Heavenly Father that he has privileged me to work in the church. My father died February 26, 1913 at Woodland, Summit Co., Utah and was buried beside my mother at Farmington, Davis Co., Utah, February 29, 1913. My sister, Elizabeth Jane White Bronson and myself were instrumental in forming the Thomas H. White family organization at Midway, Wasatch Co., Utah. July 24, 1928 I was released as President and my brother George F. White chosen to the position and I as First Vice President which office I now hold (1932). August 28, 1928, my husband and I went with our youngest daughter, Cleo and husband, Lewis Beer and their small son, Max to New Harmony in Dixie Co. to attend the Pace reunion. We left home at 10 p.m., drove to Nephi where we camped for the night. The next morning we drove out of Levan for breakfast and on to Filmore for dinner and on to New Harmony - a distance of 268 miles in time to see the last of the horse races in the afternoon. We camped at the home of ex-bishop Henry W. Pace who was very attentive to the visitors. He brought us a plate of mutton chops to fry for breakfast, also a nice roast of beef which we all enjoyed later in the day. Thursday we attended the meeting, being entertained by the New Harmony homecoming committee with instrumental music, band and violin selections, readings, speeches, etc. In the afternoon we went to Toquerville, about twenty miles distant to get some of those famous Dixie grapes, which were delicious. We also tasted ripe figs from the trees. We returned to New Harmony in the afternoon. In the evening there was a free dance for all. Friday morning we were entertained by the Cedar City commercial club. A splendid program was enjoyed. In the after- noon a melon feast was enjoyed by all after which we left and came back to Cedar City and up the canyon, a 10,000 foot climb. The scenery through the mountains was beautiful. From the top of the mountain we could see some of the National Park. We intended going to Cedar Breaks, but took the wrong road. We traveled from the divide on a lovely mountain road down hill to within 1 ½ miles of the state highway to Gravel Springs. The latter part of the road was newly graveled. We had a hard time to get over it as the gravel was deep. We burned the brake linings and had to be pushed out by a government truck and had to camp for the night. Saturday morning we ate our breakfast and drove seventeen miles to Panguitch and had the brakes relined. Driving back seven miles we went up to Bryce Canyon - a distance of twenty five miles to the top of the crater. Here we saw some of the most beautiful scenery. After viewing the spires and gorgeous scenery, taking pictures, etc., we drove to Richfield - a distance of 134 miles. Here we camped for the night in the Tourist Park where we were entertained by radio until a late hour. After breakfast Sunday morning we drove to Manti where we saw the beautiful Manti Temple. From there to Thistle, thence down Spanish Fork Canyon and home. The next trip of note was the 9th Thomas H. White Family Reunion held at Wolf Creek Pass, July 18-19, 1931. Nineteen of our family left in two trucks at 8:15 p.m. and drove to Noblets - near the head of Provo River about midnight. We camped here for the night. Next morning at daybreak we broke camp and drove to Wolf Creek Pass before breakfast. The crown began to arrive at 11 a.m. Dinner was served at 3 p.m. to sixty-four, after which Raymond Lewis, son of Wm. and Pleasy Lewis gave some songs and missionary experiences of his New Zealand mission. In the evening we enjoyed a marshmallow and weiner roast around a huge bonfire. Sixty-four descendants of my father taking part. Sunday morning July 19, my sisters Nettie, Millie and myself climbed to the Wolf Creek Summit monument before breakfast through tall pines, gathering the most beautiful Columbines. We returned with good appetites for breakfast, having thoroughly enjoying our hike. Dinner was served at 4:30 p.m. to seventy-two. After which camp was broken and preparations began for the homeward trip. The following week, July 24, my husband and I went with our daughter, Erma and her husband, Joseph H. Petersen and their three small sons; Joe, Rex and Lynn on a fishing trip to the head of Provo River. We left home at 9 a.m., went up Provo Canyon, on to Kamas, then up Beaver Creek Canyon to Soap Stone Camping Grounds where we stopped overnight. Next morning we went up to Mirror Lake, a beautiful lake in the tops of the mountains. Here we made our next camp. Back of Mt. Baldy lies this beautiful lake which had become a summer resort for hundreds of people. The evenings were spent in community and private programs around huge bonfires until late hours. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves. On the 25th the men went sightseeing and fishing. Joe, Erma, and the boys earlier in the morning hiked to more smaller lakes which were covered with waterlillies. Later I took the hike with Erma and the boys to see the wild waterlillies. Coming back we hiked around Mirror Lake and returned to camp. After the men returned we had dinner and left camp about 4 p.m. for home, arriving about 8 p.m. Every minute of the outing was enjoyed. From biography of Caddie Agness Pace Ferre, a daughter: My father, Sidney Alexander Pace, was a fruit farmer and hauled his produce to Park City, Kamas, and towns in between. He was a happy person and children loved him. Many a time he has placed children on his foot or knee for a ride, laughing as much as the children. Dad died 1 February 1943. My mother was a happy, serious person, hardworking and always seeing that things got done. We all learned to work early in life. Giving an honest day’s work for our pay. She passed away 8 June 1953. The following information was found in another account of our grandmother’s history and will be added by Valeen F. Giles, a granddaughter: My childhood days were spent in Farmington, Utah. One day after Sunday School a number of us girls wanted to go down Burk’s lane not far from my home, where there was an Indian camp. Being curious to see what they were doing, we wandered down to the camp. One of the small boys tried to scare us with a bow and arrow. As he could not scare any of the crowd but me, he came after me. I was scared and ran as fast as I could for home and did not stop until I was nearly there. I have always been afraid of Indians since my childhood. Another time two large Indian men whom Father had known for years came to see him. My parents had gone to Salt Lake. The Indians did not go away very far and came back in the evening. Father let them stay all night. They made their bed in the kitchen. Our room was upstairs just over the kitchen. I was frightened and could not sleep for I imagined all night that the Indians were coming up the stairs. I will never forget that night of dread. (The family left Green River) My father located in Salina, Sevier Co. At that time most of the people lived in ‘dugouts’, dirt floor and walls, the roof covered with slabs of brush or dirt on top. Many of the families were very happy in their crude houses. My father started to build a large rock house with rock from the Salina Quarry. We lived in this partly built home for a time, covering the open windows with sheets. At this place I had my first boy friend, Jimmy Fellon, who would ask Father if he could take me to the dances. When the dance was over he would take me home; this pleased my father and he never refused me going. Father sold his business and our home, before it was finished, and moved to Layton, Davis Co., Utah. Uncle Earnest, (Father’s brother) had to drive the cows to Layton. Because of my being thrown while herding the cows in North Salt Lake, I would not do it again. We returned to Layton in the Spring of 1882. My Father bought a ranch up on the sand ridge about two miles north of Layton. He rented a blacksmith shop in Layton and worked at his trade.

Life timeline of Joseph Hyrum Petersen

Joseph Hyrum Petersen was born on 25 Jan 1878
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 3 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 17 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 26 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 36 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 52 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 62 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany and Slovakia invade Poland, beginning the European phase of World War II. World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945, although conflicts reflecting the ideological clash between what would become the Allied and Axis blocs began earlier. The vast majority of the world's countries—including all of the great powers—eventually formed two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis. It was the most global war in history; it directly involved more than 100 million people from over 30 countries. In a state of total war, the major participants threw their entire economic, industrial, and scientific capabilities behind the war effort, blurring the distinction between civilian and military resources. World War II was the deadliest conflict in human history, marked by 50 to 85 million fatalities, most of whom were civilians in the Soviet Union and China. It included massacres, the genocide of the Holocaust, strategic bombing, premeditated death from starvation and disease and the only use of nuclear weapons in war.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 67 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen was 78 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Joseph Hyrum Petersen died on 12 Oct 1960 at the age of 82
Grave record for Joseph Hyrum Petersen (25 Jan 1878 - 12 Oct 1960), BillionGraves Record 12852 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States