Johnny W. Butt

29 Mar 1939 - 8 Feb 1963


Johnny W. Butt

29 Mar 1939 - 8 Feb 1963
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Johnny W. Butt (29 Mar 1939 - 8 Feb 1963) at Pleasant Grove City Cemetery in Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Johnny W. Butt
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Johnny W. Butt


Pleasant Grove City Cemetery

301-945 Utah 146
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah
United States


June 26, 2011


June 25, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Johnny W....

We found more records about Johnny W. Butt.

Grave Site of Johnny W.


Johnny W. Butt is buried in the Pleasant Grove City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Johnny Butt & Football

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

MY MEMORY OF JOHNNY BUTT Written by Leila Chadwick 2007 Head of the Girls Physical Education Dept. Pleasant Grove High School Pleasant Grove, Utah I was teaching school at Pleasant Grove High School in the years of 1962-1963. It was football season. The entire student body was gathered in the gym for a pep rally. We had been told that Johnny Butt was coming to the pep rally as an invited alumni. I knew that he was a cousin of Tim Chadwick, my husband, but I had never seen him before. I did know that he was 'Mutt' Butt's son. Mutt was a brother to my husband's mother, Clara Miriam Butt Chadwick. The gym was packed. The pep band was there and struck up the school song as he entered the room. As he walked across the floor the place went wild. He was dressed in a suit and he was the most beautiful person you could look upon, handsome and tall. He entered the room, crossed diagonally and walked almost the entire length of the floor. The kids cheered and clapped for him all the way. They knew who he was. And, by the applause I knew that they were proud of him and his accomplishments in football. I watched as he walked and I thought, "He is in full command of this student body." He didn't walk with any airs but he was in total command of the situation. He was comfortable in his skin. I hadn't seen anyone who commanded the room like he did that day. I have seen ball players come back to their schools but never with anymore respect and love. He was there for their pep rally and as I remember he talked about school spirit. It was a very memorable day because of how he walked in and was in full command of the situation. Within five months he was dead. I lamented the fact that someone so full of life could be gone so quickly. He could not have garnered anymore respect if he had lived a life time. He was the football hero who died too young. I found out later that during his senior year he was selected as a Utah Allstate football player. No wonder all the students knew who he was and what he represented.

Johnny Butt Funeral

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Thoughts Expressed at Johnny’s Funeral held on 11 Feb 1963 Johnny died 8 Feb 1963 And so on March 29, 1939 a baby boy was born to William F. and Lucille Boren Butt at the Lehi hospital. A brother, Jerry, then nineteen months old, waited at home with Grandpa and Grandma Butt. Grandpa Butt, John Newbern, was brought into the hospital seriously ill just three days after the baby was born, so he asked the nurse if he might see his new grandson. When the nurse laid the new baby in his arms, he looked at him and said: “That’s a fine little Johnny.” A few hours later, Grandpa Butt died, but the name stuck and was later given to the baby officially. The name has confused a few people throughout Johnny’s life. Some called him John at times, and even Johnny was a little mixed up at first. He was christened Johnny W. Butt, but whenever anyone asked him what his name was, - - - the prompt reply was “Johnny Double Butt.” Growing up was fun for Johnny. He had a wonderful sense of humor, and enjoyed things to the fullest. He attended school in Lehi, but in the fourth grade at the age of ten, he became seriously ill. His Uncle LaVell Boren came to visit him and donate a pint of blood; and Johnny asked his Uncle to administer to him so he could get well. He had great faith even at the age of ten, and his life was spared. Johnny’s health was somewhat impaired after this illness, but he didn’t want anyone to know it. Whatever he did, he wanted to do on his own merit, and not be given any special privileges. He loved sports and managed to play football for half a year during his junior year at Lehi. Then the family moved to Pleasant Grove where Johnny continued his education at Pleasant Grove High School. Under careful watch of Dr. Thomson he played football his senior year. That is the year Pleasant Grove took the State Championship and Johnny was chosen All-State Center. After graduation from High School, he attended Snow College at Ephraim for a year. He was married to Joan Haycock on July 23, 1958 and this marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple on Sep. 30, 1959. Johnny first worked for our neighbors Lindstrom Bros. Sheet Metal and Heating Company for one and one-half years. One of the highest compliments that could be paid to anyone was paid to Johnny by Mrs. Paul Lindstrom when she said; “When my daughter grows up, I wish she could marry a man like Johnny Butt.” She went on to say; “she has never seen anyone with so much patience. Never had she seen him angry, or heard him say an unkind word about anyone.” Johnny went to work for Hal Haycock in Hal’s Finance Co. approximately four years ago, and has since been made Asst. Manager. Hal says Johnny was respected by everyone. He tells of an incident which shows Johnny’s character a little more clearly. There was an elderly man who said, “No one would ever think or bother to call me Mr., but Johnny Butt always did and meant it.” Johnny was appreciative of all that was done for him, and always had great respect and love for his parents and loved ones. Johnny has always been active in the Manila Ward. He has acted as Ward Teacher Supervisor, and was a counselor in the Presidency of the Elder’s Quorum at the time of his death. He is survived by his wife and two lovely children, of whom he was very proud; Layne, four years old and Lisa Dawn – three. He is also survived by his mother and father, a sister, Dawna Lou and a brother, Jerry – two grandmothers; Mary Ann Butt and Myrtle Boren, and a multitude of friends.

Johnny by Jerry

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

JOHNNY W Butt by Jerry Butt As I recall, Johnny and I were always together during those early days of growing up, either working around the yard, or playing with our friends. We had chores to do, such as, milking the cows, sloping the hogs, feeding the horses and sheep, tending the chickens and working the garden. We thought of it as work, but it seems like fun now. We were raised in Lehi, Utah and lived in the home owned by our Grandmother, Mary Ann Beveridge Butt. Our Grandfather John Newhern Butt passed away in April one month after Johnny was born. We lived in the back of the house while she lived in the front. Johnny and I shared the same room and bed with the refrigerator next to the doorway. We also had a small radio which had a broken plastic case, so we took it apart and laid it on the window sill. It seemed to play better there. We listened to country music on a station in Clint, Tx. each night before we would go to sleep. The music would fade in and out depending where we placed our hand on the antenna. During the winter time ice would form on the windows and would draw great designs for us to scratch our initials in or melt with our breath. Each night, prior to bed time, we'd had to visit the outside privy. We would usually go together, not knowing for certain what we’d find in the dark on the way out and back. Sometimes we wouldn't make it all the way to the outhouse, and we'd stop near the grape vines. I suppose that’s why the grapes were so healthy. As we grew older our games grew more intense. We planted an old telephone pole near the chicken coop and attached an iron ring on a back board for a hoop. We had to relocate a large pile of lumber and other materials so that we had room to play basketball. And play we did, from sunup to sundown. The entire neighborhood would gather and we'd play until it was time for chores. We received bicycles for either our birthday or for Christmas. I can't remember which. We worked on those bikes, keeping them clean and in good running order. We would disassemble them and put them back together again. It was fun. Then the folks took us to a Joey Chitwood Auto Daredevil show. After watching that show we knew that we’d have to try some of those stunts with our bicycles. We built a jumping ramp to see how far we could jump with our bikes. We got pretty good at this new daredevil activity. I think we ended up the best in the neighborhood. We had a small country store in our neighborhood called Cuddy’s. It was a store which had mostly food items. We would scour the neighborhood looking for empty pop bottles, and then we’d take them to Cuddys and trade them in for money. That money would buy candy. We did this quite often. Shortly after this event, Johnny and I became partners as we purchased a Whizzer motor hike. This machine was nothing more than a bicycle with a motor mounted on the frame between the front and rear wheels. The engine drove the rear wheel with a belt. We had a great time taking turns riding by ourselves or pulling someone on their bike with a rope. What time we had. I remember one time during the summer it was so hot that we boiled the oil in the engine pulling someone on their bike. I received the gravel rash on this new fangled machine several times, so I decided that I had enough of that. I sold my interest to Johnny, and it wasn’t long after that and he got the same rash. He ended selling the bike to a friend. The bike must have been jinxed. Not only did our friend get the gravel rash, but the friend who purchased the bike was coming out of American Fork Canyon one day and hit a car head on. He survived, but it took some time for him to return to normal. Johnny and I attended the local Ward activities. During the week we would usually gather a group of friends and play football on the front lawn of the church. On Sunday our Priesthood meeting was in the morning, then we would return in the evening to attend sacrament meeting. The Bishop would always make certain that we would he finished in time to return home for the TV show Maverick, We didn't have a TV until uncle Newb gave us his after he moved to his ranch in Mountain Home, Utah. He couldn't receive TV out where he lived. We got the benefit of seeing snowy pictures until a more powerful transmitter was installed on the mountain top in Salt Lake City. We would squint trying to follow all the action, sometimes it worked and other times it didn't. We only had TV during the evening hours. During all of these activities we attended the schools in Lehi. All three levels of schools were in one location. So when we started in the first grade we went to one building until the fourth grade. We then went to an adjacent building for grades four through six. Then it was on to another adjacent building for Jr. High, grades seven through nine. We stayed in the same building then for grades ten through twelve. Johnny was very active in sports. He loved football, baseball and basketball. He was very good in all sports. Johnny had a health problem which kept him from participating in all of these activates, He could play occasionally, but this was frustrating for him. Our parents, along with uncle Newb purchased a cattle ranch in Fairfield, Cedar Valley. We would move to the ranch during the summer and back with Grandma during the winter. Johnny would stay with Grandma due to his health condition, but he was always a help Grandma. After the Whizzer bike episode we graduated to automobiles. I purchased a 1937 Chevy with funds I had earned by raising beef cattle and selling them. Johnny and I would work on that car, polishing it, and learning how to repair it. It required repair more often than it ran. We had fun with it though. All of this occurred prior to either of us having a driver’s license. The folks then sold the place in Lehi and moved to Pleasant Grove (Manila) where Johnny found a new friend in our neighbor, Joan Haycock. I had graduated and was developing a life of my own. Johnny was also developing his life. All of this occurred as he was completing his schooling, first in Lehi, then in Pleasant Grove. Johnny was a great student. He was always concerned about other’s, ready to lend assistance if it was needed. He always looked out for those in need. He was a good athlete always trying to perfect his abilities. He was a good friend, and he was missed when he was called home. There are a lot more memories which could be recalled, yet this short account will provide some insight to the type of person Johnny W Butt was, and is. I'm grateful that we were brothers and had the closeness we did. We grew together. We had our problems, but all in all we had a great life together.

Life timeline of Johnny W. Butt

Johnny W. Butt was born on 29 Mar 1939
Johnny W. Butt was 2 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
See More
Johnny W. Butt was 17 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
See More
Johnny W. Butt died on 8 Feb 1963 at the age of 23
Grave record for Johnny W. Butt (29 Mar 1939 - 8 Feb 1963), BillionGraves Record 26193 Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States