John T. Peterson

1865 - 1939


John T. Peterson

1865 - 1939
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF JOHN PETERSON AND HIS WIFE SARAH ELIZABETH TAYLOR PETERSON WRITTEN BY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW SARAH MERKLEY PETERSON PREFACE: I was visiting my sister, Verna Hancock Trappett, on 16th of November, 2013 and with her conversation she brought out this history of John and Sarah Peterson that she foun
Register to get full access to the grave site record of John T. Peterson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

John T. Peterson


Grove City Cemetery

345 Willow Dr
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


July 24, 2013


July 17, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about John T....

We found more records about John T. Peterson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John T.


John T. Peterson is buried in the Grove City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of John Peterson and his wife Sarah Elizabeth Taylor Peterson

Contributor: MargieW Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF JOHN PETERSON AND HIS WIFE SARAH ELIZABETH TAYLOR PETERSON WRITTEN BY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW SARAH MERKLEY PETERSON PREFACE: I was visiting my sister, Verna Hancock Trappett, on 16th of November, 2013 and with her conversation she brought out this history of John and Sarah Peterson that she found amongst our mother’s ( Margaret Hancock) family history things. It was a history of our neighbors while we were growing up in Wapello, Idaho. We did not know John and Sarah Peterson since they lived before we were born but we were acquainted with some of their family. John’s brother, Tyson Tucker, lived neighbors to us. He and Sister Tucker were very special people. Another brother, Moroni, was also a neighbor but we didn’t know him as well as we knew his brother Tyson. John and Sarah’s sons John ( Jack) and Myron were also neighbors and they and their wives were stalwart members of our ward in Wapello. The Tuckers and the Petersons were strong members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and were some of the anchors that helped start the Wapello Ward. I remember well going to church in the Wapello chapel that John helped to build so many years ago. I can remember as a youth setting around the stove in one corner of the church in winter time with our class listening to our teacher. John’s brother Tyson was such a special man. He meant so much to me as a young man. I can remember well as a young man one time in the winter I was wearing a jacket at church and Brother Tucker asked me if I had an over coat and I told him I didn’t and he gave me his. I told him that he didn’t need to do that but he insisted so I took it and enjoyed his love for me and his generosity. My grandparents, Charles and Martha Hancock, were very good friends of Brother and Sister TysonTucker. I can remember well how they were great examples of going regularly to the Idaho Falls Temple to participate in the temple work there. John’s son Myron was one of my father’s , Clawson Hancock, fishing buddies. These two and Erwin Allen, another ward member, loved to go fishing. Another memory I have of Brother and Sister Tucker is their journey they would take occasionally to their home town of Fairview, Utah to visit family. I have visited Fairview a number of times for a family reunion up Fairview Canyon of the Clement family. My wife’s grandmother was Louisa Orvilla Clement Jacobson a daughter of Oliver Clement. While visiting in Fairview I always loved to go to the Museum and one of the things I always will remember is the sculptor by Arvard Fairbanks of Brother Tyson Tuckers aunt and uncle Peter and Celestia Peterson. This is an inspiration to see the beautiful piece of art of Arvard Fairbanks. My sister gave this history to me and after reviewing it I felt that I needed to post it on Family Tree so family members of the Peterson and Tucker families can enjoy it too. So I went to work and retyped the history into my computer so this sharing can take place. I hope the members of these families will always remember the lives of John and Sarah Peterson and their family. I added a few facts from research to the history from Family Tree. Sarah Merkley Peterson, the writer of this history, was John’s son Myron’s wife. I remember her well. Eugene M. Hancock THE HISTORY In Jetsmark, Denmark on the 8th of February, 1829 Andrew ( Anders) Pedersen was born. In Nes, Hedemaker, Norway on the 29th of July, 1846 Anette Larsdatter ( Andersen ) was born. They were married 1865( 17 December, 1864 and sealed 27 January , 1933 (17 December, 1864 in the Endowment House). To this union were born John, Lewis, Andrew and James. They were born in Fairfiew, Sanpete County, Utah. It was on the 19th of November, 1865 under very humble circumstances in a little one room log home that John , the first baby was born to Andrew and Annette Larsdatter ( Andersen) who came as pioneers to Utah. They had no electrical appliances or conveniences: T.V., radio, beautiful chapels, automobiles and airplanes but they did have the important things that it takes to make a home, love, uprightness, virtue, honesty, purity and moral integrity. These principles they believed in and practiced. In a home where these virtues were taught and lived, little John spent his first seven or eight years growing strong in body and stature. John was taught the gospel of Jesus Christ and the value of hard work and prayer to a living Heavenly Father from whom he received strength and comfort throughout his entire life. The happiness of little John’s home was interrupted by the death of his father at the age of seven or eight years. Being the oldest of the four boys he learned to assume responsibility at that time. Little John’s opportunity for scholastic training was meager but throughout his entire life he was a scholar. He studied and took correspondent courses in mechanical training and throughout his life. It was sometime after John’s father died that his mother married Amasa Tucker ( 21 July, 1873). To this union was born three girls and four boys, Anette Sophia, Amos Tyson, Mary Etta, Moroni, Annia Mariah, Hyrum, and Charles Peter. This was a plural marriage, she being the third wife. Amasa Tucker was a kind and good man and was a father in very deed, believing and maintaining the same high virtues as John’s own father. John’s mother and her family lived on a small farm where the children’s time was spent helping the mother maintain the family and also working for others for pay when such could be found. At this time they also learned the joy of helping others without pay. When John became a young man about seventeen years of age he worked at what was known as the Temple Saw Mill. It was located about twelve miles south of Fairview and the surveyors show it to be the very central part of Utah. John and his stepfather worked at this mill. It is here that John first showed his natural mechanical ability by quickly learning to run the saw. John developed a strong health body. He enjoyed competition in wrestling, boxing, playing baseball and all good clean sports. He maintained his interest in sports as long as he lived and thoroughly enjoyed seeing his boys take part in all church and school activities. John developed a pleasing personality, happy, unselfish, kind and considerate of all people with deep respect for all women. Naturally when John began to plan for a home of his own, he chose from his childhood friends a girl with interest and characteristics that would be compatible to him. As a young man John had kept his body clean, never using tobacco, alcohol or tea and coffee. He followed the teachings of his parents and church, knowing that his earthly body was a tabernacle for housing a spirit of God and God expected him to keep that body clean. He had been obedient to his teachings of his parents and church so he was worthy and entitled to receive the Aaronic Priesthood, holding all the offices in their order, always serving to the best of his ability in his callings. The selecting of a life’s companion was of grave importance to him. He selected a girl named Sarah Elizabeth Taylor, daughter of William Singleton Taylor and Phebe Stewart. She was born of goodly parents on 28 November, 1868. Their desire was to be married not only for this life but for all eternity, that the children they hoped for would be theirs forever. John now must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and because they had kept the commandments of the Lord and were worthy of this great blessing they were granted this great privilege. Preparation must be made to travel by wagon from Fairview to Logan, Cache Valley, Utah. There were two or three couples that had the same plans and joined them for the trip. The wagons were covered with canvas stretched over bows to protect them from the cold and storm. They were married in the Logan Temple on the 12th of December, 1884, at Logan, Utah. ( This was four years before the Manti temple was dedicated and nine years before the Salt Lake temple was completed. )To this union was born twelve children, six boys and six girls. Sarah Elizabeth, John Andrew, Frances Estella, Phebe, Lewis Singleton, Myron, Furn Annette, Amos LaVarre, Alice Etta, Ralph, Rose Lee, and Glenn Marion. They were fortunate to have lived to see all their children grow to maturity with exception of little Phebe, she died when she was near a week old. Johnny and Sadie were the nick names that attached themselves to John and Sarah Peterson. Johnny and Sade or Sadie were an average couple starting out together at the young ages of nineteen and sixteen years. Their first home was small and held the few necessities needed for homemaking. Johnny worked where he could for the first few years. Johnny’s step father built what known as an up and down saw about two miles from Fairview on what was known as Spring Creek. They formed a pond of water and the water running through a flume and dropping to a lower elevation made power to operate a saw mill. Johnny worked here and became a very good sawyer. They had been married a few years and had three little children when they moved again to a little place over the mountains named Huntington where there was a great deal of beautiful timber and here Johnny and his stepfather operated another saw mill using the first circle saw, the first of it’s kind around that part of the country. Here again they made their own power the same as they had done before. While living in Fairview, Johnny tried coal mining. He would use a hand drill and single jack to drill holes into the earth to hold the powder, after the powder was poured into the holes a piece of wood was used to tamp the powder firm, leaving a fuse to burn or explode the powder thus making the coal loose so it could be loaded by hand and hauled into town in a wagon where it was sold. Sadie, his good wife, always did her part as a wife and mother. She was a good seamstress and made all the clothes for her family. She knit socks and stockings beautifully. She was indeed a good helpmate to her husband and did all the things necessary to good homemaking. Johnny became an expert sawyer and working with lumber, learning from experiences of others and studying the fundamentals of carpentry he became a skilled carpenter. While he was in the vicinity of Fairview he took up a 160 acre tract of land west of the little town which later used for a cemetery. His first livestock was a span of two mules that liked to run away and Johnny encouraged them with a use of a whip. He knew a good animal and at different periods in his life owned many that were good. He was always thoughtful of other animals and enjoyed a high spirited team on a sleigh for an exciting ride. About the time their ninth child was born they moved to a littler town named Abraham. They made this move thinking to better their financial condition. They sold their holdings in Fairview and loading their belongings on wagons and driving the little stock they had accumulated they traveled to their new home. They planted their crops consisting mostly of wheat. It was a beautiful crop. It was almost ready to harvest when it was overrun and destroyed by the growth of great large tumble weeds. The failure of being unable to harvest a crop and his family of tender age it was necessary for the father to seek work elsewhere. The father leaving his family went in search of work to Mercur, Utah, a mining town in Tooele County. He obtained work there and the family moved there in about the year 1901 or 1902. While living in in Mercur, he served in the Bishopric. He was faithful in this calling and did his assignments and worked nine hours a day seven days a week. Johnny became a blacksmith and also worked as a carpenter while living there. Mercur was a booming gold mine town. They had been there only a short time when a fire broke out destroying the town and leaving many homeless. Many moved out of Mercur and it now remains only a ghost town. Johnny took his family and moved into Salt Lake City, Utah in 1907. Here they endured many hardships. Johnny and his oldest son John and two other men went into a Blacksmith shop business. Johnny being an honest trusting man went into the blacksmith business. One man was managing the business the others doing the work. As time went on the business failed with Johnny and his family sacrificing to hardly enough to live on while his managing partner enjoyed the best of everything. During this adventure Christmas came and went. Christmas eve came with many tears and heart aches. The older children understanding. The little ones expecting a visit from Santa Claus. John, the son, left the house Christmas eve coming back later with a few things for the little ones. This adventure lasted about a year when they moved to Murray, Utah. Here Johnny found employment as a custodian of the Arlington School building. It was a large school and here some of the older children assisted him in his work. Johnny and Sadie realized the need of teaching their family the value of work and serving the Lord. One faith promoting incident in their lives I should like to record. This happened in Fairview, Utah. One time when they were in dire circumstances , two or three of the children were very badly in need of shoes. After selling their crops they had a small amount of money left. A decision had to be made. Should they buy shoes for the three little children or do as the Lord commanded and pay their tithing. They paid their tithing knowing full well the Lord would bless them in His own way. A short time later two of the children went out the back door at night and discovered some boxes on the door step. They took them into the house and found three pairs of shoes, which fit perfectly the little feet that needed them. Johnny and Sadie wondered if they had been left by some good friends in Fairview. The brand of the shoes were not brands carried by the stores. They never knew where they came from but knew the Lord could provide. Johnny and Sadie now having a family of ten realized that living in a city was not what they desired. Some of the older boys and girls were now working and helping to meet the needs of the family but still the parents felt they did not want to raise the rest of the little ones in a mining town or city. It was about this time that Johnny’s brother Tyson, who was a sheep man sold his sheep and married Enon Young. They decided to make a home in Blackfoot, Idaho or neighboring town. He first bought a piece of land at Kimball, Idaho but found out later there was no water for it. He had built a small house which had to be moved to Wapello where he bought one hundred and ninety six acres from Mr. Howard. This was more land than he needed so he sold Johnny 58 acres and another brother Moroni 22 acres . Johnny and his son Myron came to Blackfoot by train in 1909 to build a house for his family which arrived a few weeks later . The roads they traveled from Blackfoot to Wapello were not paved but were loose dirt when dry and deep mud when wet. Often there were so many chuck holes the big canal bank was used for a road. There were no automobiles but they used a wagon with a spring seat. Later they purchased a buggy and had a good horse which was quite a luxury at that time. Johnny and Sadie still continued to serve the Lord in answering the calls of the stake and ward officials. Johnny served as first counselor in the first bishopric when Kimball ward was divided and Wapello became a ward. At a later date he served in the presidency of the Young Men’s Mutual Association. He was a teacher in Sunday school. He served as ward chorister and was successful in organizing a very good choir for several years. Sadie served as Relief Society secretary. She was a faithful member of the choir and always supported Johnny in his calling. John and Sadie had been members of a very fine choir in Murray, Utah. Here he had taken advantage of the opportunity to learn all he could about music and conducting. He also was a member of the Blackfoot stake choir. When the Wapello ward was organized the meetings were held in the homes of some of the members. There were only a few members in the ward. As soon as the ward membership was able to build a chapel they did so. There was a building committee chosen and Johnny was selected to oversee the building. This was in the year 1910 or 1911. A short time later, in the year of 1912 , a fire destroyed this church. Now the members though few in number and all humble circumstances they undertook to build another church. Mr. Perky a carpenter living in Blackfoot was hired by the ward to oversee the building of the new chapel and he chose Johnny to assist him in supervising the construction of the building . It was completed in 1914 and was enjoyed for many years then due to the growth of the ward membership a knew addition was added. Now that Johnny and Sadie had purchased land where they could raise food for their family , a place where they could grow flowers and a lawn and have stock, a place where they could spend more time together though they lived in humble circumstances. It was a paradise to them and their children and grandchildren. Here their last child a little boy was born. They planted gardens and orchard and they both harvested , canned and stored the food together, following the advice of the church to store for the future. They made cream cheddar cheese using a number two galvanized tub for the vat, heating it to the right temperature on a coal stove. They had a cider press to take care of the apples that they could not can or give away. They quilted together. Johnny using a big thimble but quilting as small stitches as any good quilter. He could patch as well as any woman. Once he wore a pair of overalls to work and Mrs. Whitten asked, “ Johnny, where did you buy those overalls with double fronts, I would like to buy a pair like them myself.” The Peterson family were a very congenial family. Their home was one that you never heard any scandal or any criticism of neighbors or church officials. Johnny and Sadie never turned a person in need of food away hungry but were always willing to share what they had. As the daughters married , Johnny and Sadie gained a new son and when the boys married they gained a daughter there were no in-laws in their family. The children and grandchildren found greater pleasure that to get together on the big lawn or in the small home and enjoy the good food the mother loved to prepare for them. It was a family that worked and played together. When sickness and sorrow came into the home of any member of the family every member was there to give of themselves and their means. It was under these circumstances that the twilight of Johnny and Sadie’s lives began to come to a close. It was about 1934 or 1935 that Johnny became ill and was operated on in the Idaho Falls Hospital. He was never entirely well from then on, but being an ambitious man he continued to farm in the summer with the help of his boys and would work as an engineer at the Utah Idaho Sugar Company in the fall. On April 6th, 1939 he was confined to his bed with the dreaded disease of cancer and suffered with the great patience until he was released from this life June 25th, 1939. Sadie suffered the loss of her good husband but with the knowledge that some day she would join him. She remained in her home until her health failed. She then went to Pocatello to live with her daughter. Here she received kind and loving care. Her greatest joy came when her sons and daughters visited her. On one occasion she remarked, “ Johnny had large hands but they were so gentle and they always brought comfort and soothing influence to our little babies when they were ill. Sadie too had the ability of caring for the sick at a time when people depended upon remedies and power of the Priesthood accompanied by faith. It was on the 12th of January, 1944 that Sadie’s life came to a close after being confined to bed for quite a while. She closed this life with a firm conviction that she would go to join again her devoted husband and father.

Life timeline of John T. Peterson

John T. Peterson was born in 1865
John T. Peterson was 9 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
John T. Peterson was 20 years old when Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
John T. Peterson was 26 years old when Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
John T. Peterson was 43 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
John T. Peterson was 52 years old when Tsar Nicholas II of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule. Nicholas II or Nikolai II, known as Saint Nicholas in the Russian Orthodox Church, was the last Emperor of Russia, ruling from 1 November 1894 until his forced abdication on 15 March 1917. His reign saw the fall of the Russian Empire from one of the foremost great powers of the world to economic and military collapse. He was given the nickname Nicholas the Bloody or Vile Nicholas by his political adversaries due to the Khodynka Tragedy, anti-Semitic pogroms, Bloody Sunday, the violent suppression of the 1905 Russian Revolution, the executions of political opponents, and his perceived responsibility for the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). Soviet historians portray Nicholas as a weak and incompetent leader whose decisions led to military defeats and the deaths of millions of his subjects.
John T. Peterson was 64 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
John T. Peterson died in 1939 at the age of 74
Grave record for John T. Peterson (1865 - 1939), BillionGraves Record 4542215 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States