John Robert Twelves

8 Nov 1844 - 25 Mar 1913


John Robert Twelves

8 Nov 1844 - 25 Mar 1913
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

A letter from Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Gunn Twelves to John Robert Twelves while he was on a mission. Provo City, Utah 16 June 1878 My Dear Son: By your request I take pleasure in writing to you to let you know how we are getting along. We are all well at the present time and I hope you are the same.
Register to get full access to the grave site record of John Robert Twelves
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

John Robert Twelves


Provo City Cemetery

610 S State St
Provo, Utah, Utah
United States


June 2, 2011


June 1, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about John Robert...

We found more records about John Robert Twelves.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John Robert


John Robert Twelves is buried in the Provo City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary of Eliza Luella Daniels Twelves

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

OBITUARY NOTICE OF THE DEATH OF ELIZA LUELLA DANIELS TWELVES, WIFE OF JOHN ROBERT TWELVES, WHO DIED 26 MARCH 1942, IN SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH. ELIZA L. D. TWELVES Eliza L. Daniels Twelves, 90, widow of John Robert Twelves, died at 6:50 a.m. Today at the home of a son, R. Dean Twelves at 612 Thirteenth East Street. Mrs. Twelves was born January 18, 1852, in Payson, Utah, the first white girl child to be born there. She was married to Mr. Twelves in the old Salt Lake Endowment House in 1869 by Pres. Wilford Woodruff. Her home was in Provo for 75 years where she was active in church work. She was the mother of eight children, three of whom survive. They are: Mrs. W.M. Winter of Seattle, Washington, and James A. and R. Dean Twelves of Salt Lake. Also surviving are 17 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren and one great great-grandchild. Services will be conducted Sunday, at 2 p.m. in the First Ward Chapel of Provo under direction of Bishop George Collard. Friends may call at the Berg Mortuary in Provo on Sunday prior to the services.

John Robert Twelves Obituary

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Obituary Notice of the death of John Robert Twelves, son of Charles Twelves and Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Gunn, born 8 December 1844 in Gosberton, Risegate, Lincolnshire, England, died 25 March 1913 in Provo, Utah. John Twelves Died Tuesday The Funeral Services Will be Held in The Tabernacle at One O'Clock Tomorrow. BUISNESS HOUSES WILL CLOSE TWO HOURS He Came Here When a Boy and Has Been Identified with Business Interests of Provo At ten minutes past five Tuesday afternoon John Robert Twelves died at his home in the Fifth Ward after a lingering illness lasting for a period of over two years. Since early manhood he has been closely associated with both business and civic interests of Prove City and Utah County, and has served in many public capacities. In respect for the departed pioneer of the city all business houses will close at on o'clock Friday and will remain closed during the funeral, which will be held in the Utah Stake Tabernacle commencing at one o'clock. John R. Twelves was born at Gosberton, Risegate, Lincolnshire, England, December 8 1844. When he was twelve years old or in 1856 he left England with his father and the family for America. The party sailed on the Sail Ship Horizon in May and arrived at Boston in the latter part of June. Early in August the party of emigrants arrived at Iowa City and shortly after left for Utah with Martin's Handcart Company. During the trip across the plains two of his brothers and one sister died through lack of food and when the party reached Salt Lake City on the 30th of November all had to be taken care of. On the 1st of December the family came to Provo and settled in an old log house on the block where the Woolen Mills now stand. In 1864 and 1865 he made two trips to the Missouri river to bring emigrants to Utah. Both trips were made by ox team. In the Spring of 1866 the Indians were on the warpath in Sanpete and Sevier counties and Twelves went with a party of Indian fighters to the south. When he returned home he married Elizabeth Luella Daniels of this city. Mr. Twelves was first a bookkeeper of the Provo Woolen Mills then he became secretary and treasurer and serbed in that capacity until 1878, when he went to England on a mission. Two years later he returned and went to the mills, where he remained for some time. In 1890 the Probe Commercial & Saving's Bank was organized and he became the first cashier. He served the county as recorder and treasurer and Provo City in the same capacity. For the past few years of his active life Mr. Twelves was associated in mining enterprises with Colonel C.E. Loose and up until his illness was secretary and treasurer of the Grand Central and other Loose properties. The deceased is survived by his widow and the following children: John William of Salt Lake; James Albert of Salt Lake; Mrs. Mabel Knowlden of Provo; Charles Murray of Provo; Mrs. Fawn Winter of Hood River, Oregon; and Robert Dean of Provo.

Letter to John Robert Twelves from mother Ann

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

A letter from Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Gunn Twelves to John Robert Twelves while he was on a mission. Provo City, Utah 16 June 1878 My Dear Son: By your request I take pleasure in writing to you to let you know how we are getting along. We are all well at the present time and I hope you are the same. I think the children are getting better from the whooping cough. They are a great deal better than the were. Bert has been over two or three times today for some strawberries. They are all away now. They are gone to Frances Cluffs in the carriage. I am all alone. We were very glad to hear that you are safe there but were very sorry to hear you had such rough passage over the sea. You said you were going down into Lincolnshire about the first of July. I am glad of that. I want you to get to know where my Father was born and how old he was when he died and where my brother Tom lives if he is alive if you find out go and see him. John, you had an aunt in Boston, try and find out whether she is alive. Her name is Revele. Robert Twelves married her daughter, Jemima, your aunt Jemima did live at a place called Leverton near Boston. Her name is Willerton. Your cousin Sam lives in Sheffield. If you can find him. You can find out when you go see your aunt Emma. Tell them I would like to hear about all my relatives. Mother had a brother and two sisters when I left there. I would like to know whether they are alive or not and where their children are, my cousins. Try and find out will you and go and see them. Tell them I would be glad to hear from them all. The girls are working in the factory now. They do not get along very well. It has not been working regular. It is better now that they have got some wool come in last week. The folks have been enquiring about you and wanting to know if we have heard from you lately. William Smoot says he does not know how you did the work in the factory and seem so free and easy as you did. It is quite a task on him. Today, Monday, the Sunday School are having a picnic up tat Graveses. Willie has gone. It is a very fine day. I hope they will enjoy themselves. I think Lillie and the children will go this afternoon. The girls are going too. Brother Daniels has gotten another wife now, good for him. I expect you knew about it before you went away. Well, John, I do not know what to tell you to do but try and find out all you can about our relatives, where they are, if you can. Your father says he will write to you next time. Give my love to your Uncle John Gunn if you see him and Lucy. Tell them they would not know me if they were to see me I have gotten so fleshy. The country agrees with me. Give my best love to your aunts Emma and Jane. Tell them I have not forgotten them yet. Tell them to write to me as often as they can. I have written one letter to them since you have been gone to tell them you are coming to see them this summer. I hope they received it. I expect before you get this you will be in Lincolnshire. I had not quite room enough so I thought I would write a little more. It is quite a job to write a little for me to say what I want to. We have had two letters from you and I hope when we get another you will be feeling better than you did when you wrote them. I hope you will enjoy yourself. Anyway, you will see the source of the country and the difference between Utah and England, as well as the manners and the customs of the English folks. John, you must excuse my blundering way of writing when I try to write to you. There is sure to be somebody come in and put me off and then I forget what I want to say, so I will quit for this time. Send us all the news you can when you get into the Risegate and how they are getting along and what you think of the old place. I need not tell you that you will do it anyhow. Well, give my love to all enquiring friends. Tell them I would like to see some of them out here. It is a good place to live in peace and quietness for those who want to do so. The girls send their kind love to you and they say they will write to you soon. Orson sends his love to you and he says he will also before long. I will conclude for this time. I do not think of any more to tell you. My love to you and may the God of Heaven bless you on your mission, is the prayer of your affectionate mother, H.T.

Autobiography of Charles Twelves, son of Robert and Anne

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF CHARLES TWELVES, SON OF ROBERT TWELVES AND ANN WILLIAMS, BORN 19 MAY 1819 IN GASBERTON, RISEGATE, LINCOLNSHIRE, ENGLAND, DIED 12 MAY 1896, IN PROVO, UTAH. 14 January 1895, Monday Yesterday, I attended the Stake Conference at the tabernacle. Present were Brother Lyman Smith and S. Q. Cannon of the Quorum of the Apostles. In the evening I attended the Ward Meeting where we had a new Bishopric appointed for the Fourth Ward. Brother J. E. Booth having resigned after having presided over the Ward for 17 years. Joseph Wheeler was ordained as Bishop, Andrew Watson as first and Jacob Gates as second Councilors. Brother Lyman had, at the Priesthood meeting on 12 January, spoken on the necessity of everyone keeping a journal; which has induced me to make a start on this one, which I hope to continue and put down the events that may occur. I was born 19 May 1819 at Gasberton, Risegate, Lincolnshire, England. My father was Robert Twelves, my mother was Ann Williams. I had six brothers and five sisters. I was married to Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Gunn 24 May 1841 who died on 15 May 1891 at Provo. I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ in November 1848 in the Risegate of the Lincolnshire Conference. I was ordained an Elder the same year and was ordained as President of that branch the same year, which I remained for five years. When we moved to Chesterfield in the Sheffield Conference I was soon made President of the branch of Chesterfield where I remained over two years. Then I immigrated to America on the ship 'Horizon.' We started from England on 25 May 1856. We crossed the plains with our family with a horse cart in the E. Martin's Company, arriving in Salt Lake City on 30 November 1856, having lost three of my children by starvation, namely: Charles Samuel, Brigham and Mary Jane. Three of my children survived the journey, namely: John Robert Ann Elizabeth Henrietta and Orson, and we had one born here, Emma Jemima. I received my Endowments in February 1865. I did work for some of my dead in the Logan Temple. I went back to England, starting 3 August 1886 and got considerable amount of my genealogy. I returned about October 3. My wife and I went to the Temple 19 May 1889 at Logan and did work for some of our dead. I went again the next year and did more work. I attended the dedication of the Temple at Salt Lake City. I also went again to the Temple at Salt Lake City in 1894 and did work for John and Mary Brown of Lincolnshire, England and the next day I received my second anointing and also had my dead wife, Ann Elizabeth Henrietta's, second anointing attended to by Sister Young, who had hers at the same time and I acted for her husband who was dead. I have been very much afflicted with my breathing and also with an inflammation of the bladder. I am yet much afflicted with asthma. 24 December 1895

Stories from Orson Twelves

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

ORSON TWELVES IMMIGRANT Orson Twelves emigrated from England with his family in 1856, on the ship Horizon. They came by way of the Perpetual Immigration Fund, set up by Brigham Young. He came with his parents Charles Twelves and Ann Elizabeth Henrietta. A sister was born while on the ship in route to America, Mary Jane. They arrived in Boston in May of 1856. After arriving in Winter Quarters, Iowa, we were assigned to Martin Handcart Company. Our arrival was unexpected so it was necessary to build our handcarts from green wood. We were the last company to leave Winter Quarters that year. The company was advised to lie over and leave the following Spring. We were compelled by desire to be with the saints in Salt Lake, so the company voted to leave late in the summer of 1856. There was a shortage of food because the handcarts could not carry very much. The company counted on supplementing their supply at Fort Bridger and other points along the way, and were disappointed. I remember my mother saying that after crossing a creek near Chimney Rock, her dress was frozen stiff. About one third of the company died. On the plains I saw buffalo on the Platte River come down to drink. They stopped the train four hours while they were passing. In route my parents lost two of their sons, Charles and Brigham, and their baby daughter, Mary Jane, due to starvation and exposure. They arrived in Salt Lake the 30th of November, 1856. I was just 5 years old and only weighed 28 pounds. After we arrived in Salt Lake they took us to the Tithing Office where they fed us for three days. A man then took us to his home in Lehi where we rested for several days. Another man then took us to Provo, where we had friends from England. Our first home was a dugout in Provo. It was four feet deep and about 14 feet long and 12 feet wide. The rock walls extended about two to three feet higher. Poles were used as rafters and were covered with bull rushes and straw. On top of the straw was dirt. They obtained the bull rushes from Utah Lake. The dugout had a board door on the west side. It had a fireplace on the east end. It was made of mud and rock. There was a bed on the right side for the children and a bed for the parents on the other side. They were constructed from poles and had a straw mattress. We had very little bedding. There was a bench made of a sawed slab with the rounded side down and pegs for legs. The floor was dirt. We only had a knife and fork when we arrived to Provo. Our dugout was located at the old White Cotton Corner at Third East and Second North Streets. When we first arrived in Provo we stopped at the site of the Third Ward Building for a few days and found a cabin on the Woolen Mill Block. Our first lighting was from the fireplace. Sometimes we would gather “Yaller Brush” from Temple Hill and used to light our reading. Later we used a pitch light, which was grease in a saucer with a braided rag for a wick, dad used to read to us by this light. It was so poor he had to sit very close to it and his head would get hot from the flame. Our bread used to taste bitter because of the sunflower seeds in it. It was quite black because the wheat could not be properly cleaned. We ate lots of fish, wild chickens and ducks. We used molasses for sweets and I saw no sugar for the first ten years I was here. We all raised cane for molasses. Fish and game were plentiful. Provo River was almost black with fish in the Spring. I wore a homespun dress until I was nine years old. Lots of people wore buckskin clothes and moccasins. People were more humble and grateful in the early days than at present. I remember as a child that there were two old people who were thought to be witches by the young boys. One boy said they couldn't be killed except by using a silver bullet. There were only two double teams of horses in Provo when we came. To till the ground we used a home made plow. The mold board was made of three strips of iron. It was made by Edwin Peck of Provo, a blacksmith. The handles were made by Ezra Pinrod. He was a wheelwright. We used a hand fan mill to fan the grain. Later we used a machine owned by Mr. Perry which was operated by horses to thrash the grain, 150 bushels was a good day work. We used a cradle to out the grain. We made our own wooden rakes for hay. There was a carding mill on the Provo Foundry corner at Fifth West and Center Street. It was operated by Chadrack Holdaway. The first hotel was Bullocks Hotel located at Fifth West and Center Street. The stage stopped a block north of there at Dominiea Carter's house. The first school I attended was located between First and Second North and Second East Street. We paid $1.50 in produce for a three month term at the second school I attended at the old 4th ward school. It was located just west of the present Parker School on the same block. The teacher was Oscar Lyons. We used the McGuffey's Reader, McNally's Geography, Ray's Arithmetic, and the Blue Backed Elementary Speller. Our news papers were the Deseret News, New York Ledger and the Geneses Farmer. I worked for Jesse Knight at Promontory Point. He had a wood contract with the Central Pacific to supply wood for their engines. It was cut in three foot lengths at about 10 o'clock I could see the trains coming from the west. There were several on each track. I rushed down there and someone pointed out Leland Stanford to me and told me that he was going to drive to spike of gold. There was a silver rail about three feet long connection to the other rails. There were tow spikes made of gold. After the ceremonies were over a railroad man came around giving all the men free passes back to their homes. They wanted to get them out of the country. They were the toughest men I ever saw. Always fighting and killing each other. Cluff Hall was where I saw “Uncle Tom's Cabin” and other plays. John McCune was a good local actor. The Cluff's also took parts. All of the actors were locals for a long time. I knew Porter Rockwell. One time I was camped under my wagon at Lehi, down near the lake. In the middle of the night Porter Rockwell woke me up. He said, “Did you see a man come by here with a pair of white mules?” I answered “No, but I saw a man come by with a couple of black mules.” He said, “Good, that is the man I am after.” He didn't even give me a chance to lie. I also knew Bill Hickman. He was called a “Gadianton.” He killed several men. He was a bully, but he helped keep down the rough crowd in those days. He and Rockwell were marshals. The federal judges sent out here were mostly rascals, that is what caused most of the trouble during the Black Hawk Indian War I guarded the bridge every day. Charles Miller was my captain. I trained for two years on Temple Hill. Then I was under Captain Joseph Cluff of Company C. In 1864 the Indians began to steal cattle in Sanpete County. They built their teepees mostly from poles with rabbit skin stretched over them. The upper ends of the poles were fastened together with buckskin strings which were strung through holes in the ends of them. They could be set up in no time at all.

Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Gunn's bonnet

Contributor: dayle Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

This is one of many stories I compiled about my ancestors, in a book titled "The REAL Orrock Bedtime Stories". ~Angela Stephan Shepherd Martin Handcart Company Charles and Ann Elizabeth Henrietta Twelves In 1856, Charles left his beautiful gardens, the trees he had planted, and said goodbye to his beloved parents, took his wife and five children, boarded the ship Horizon and sailed to America. They came by way of the Perpetual Immigration Fund, set up by Brigham Young. And while on the ship coming over, Mary Jane was born into the family. After arriving in Winter Quarters, Iowa they were assigned to the Martin Handcart Company. While there, they built their handcarts. They were the last company to leave Winter Quarters that year. The company was advised to leave the following spring, but they were compelled by desire to be with the Saints in Salt Lake, so they voted to leave late in the summer of 1856 (July). Along the way, there was a shortage of food because the handcarts could not carry very much, but they assumed they could count on supplementing at points along the way. They were very much disappointed. They were put on rations until they were starving almost to death. They were getting along alright until the snow came. Charles and Ann first lost their youngest son, Brigham, and their new baby daughter, Mary Jane, to hunger and cold. They recorded that they were all starving, dying off like sheep. In the end, about one third of the company had died. Samuel S. Jones was also part of the company and traveling close to the Twelves. He gives an account of 14 year old, Charles Samuel, Charles’ oldest son: “During the blizzard in the uplands, Charley Twelves, a fine young [man], was struggling to pull his cart – ‘staggering along with it,’. I saw him drop between the shafts and called to his father and mother. They hurried back to their son, but God had called him home. It was another heart-rendering test of faith and courage. “All we could do for our loved Charley was to make a grave in the snow drift. His body wrapped in blankets, was laid in it [with seven others], and brush piled alone. It was just cold storage for the wolves, we felt, as we struggled on not knowing who next would fall by the way.” Charles and Ann were desperate to keep their children warm and to stay alive, especially at nights. It is said they would sleep under the handcarts for some protection from the snow and cold. Handcarts were not very big so a mother would curl around her children underneath it. Most of her body would be under the handcart but her head (or other parts) would be exposed to the cold night air and frozen ground. And because of this, Ann Henrietta’s scalp was partially frozen, after which no hair would grow back. She always wore a bonnet to cover her bald spot. At one point they had to cross the North Platte River, just as a big snowstorm came through bringing winds, sand, snow and hail. The temperature was below zero. Ann Henrietta’s dress got frozen stiff from crossing. Many people never made it to see the next morning. They had still yet to cross the Sweatwater River. They all expected to die, but three men on horseback arrived finally arrived. They were told relief was coming and their hearts leaped for joy. They eventually made it to Salt Lake on the 30th of November 1856. Three out of their six children had survived. Charles’ son, Orson, was just 5 years old and only weighed 28lbs. They took them to the Tithing Office where they fed them for three days. They then moved to Provo, where they made their home. Twenty months later their last child was born, Emma Jemima. We still have the bonnet Ann Elizabeth wore. It is kept in the Thomas family (the Thomas family comes through Fern Foote) in a fireproof box. Ann Henrietta’s story was told, and the bonnet brought out many times during the Foote reunions when I was young. The bonnet was sewed on a machine bought by her daughter in about 1880. There are thin pieces of wood placed in the top to make it stiff as they didn’t have starch back then. ~Angela Stephan Shepherd

Life timeline of John Robert Twelves

John Robert Twelves was born on 8 Nov 1844
John Robert Twelves was 15 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
John Robert Twelves was 16 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
John Robert Twelves was 30 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
John Robert Twelves was 39 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
John Robert Twelves was 50 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
John Robert Twelves was 64 years old when Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
John Robert Twelves died on 25 Mar 1913 at the age of 68
Grave record for John Robert Twelves (8 Nov 1844 - 25 Mar 1913), BillionGraves Record 7431 Provo, Utah, Utah, United States