John Ludlow

30 Dec 1872 - 15 Jun 1881

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

John Ludlow

30 Dec 1872 - 15 Jun 1881
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

As told by his daughter, Thelma Ludlow Our father, Paul Ludlow, was born at Ovenden, Yorkshire, England September 27, 1876. He was the third child of Enoch and Lavinia Horsefall Ludlow. His two older brothers, John and Thomas Edwin, were also born in England. When Paul was two years old his father,
Register to get full access to the grave site record of John Ludlow
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

John Ludlow


Benjamin Cemetery

8435 S 3200 W
Benjamin, Utah, Utah
United States


June 1, 2011


June 1, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about John...

We found more records about John Ludlow.

Grave Site of John


John Ludlow is buried in the Benjamin Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Memorizes of Paul Ludlow

Contributor: finnsh Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

As told by his daughter, Thelma Ludlow Our father, Paul Ludlow, was born at Ovenden, Yorkshire, England September 27, 1876. He was the third child of Enoch and Lavinia Horsefall Ludlow. His two older brothers, John and Thomas Edwin, were also born in England. When Paul was two years old his father, mother and their three little boys, his grandfather, Nathaniel Ludlow, his grandmother, Mary Ann and their youngest child, Walter, emigrated to America. With the exception of his mother, Lavinia, all the members of the families had embraced the gospel and were members of the Mormon church. The Ludlows embarked at Liverpool, England, September 14, 1878 on the ship "SS Wyoming." The destination was Utah. Letters received by Lavinia after her arrival in Utah tell of the weather during the ocean voyage. I quote from one of her father's letters. "We are so glad that you have landed safely. We felt certain you would all be sick, as the weather set in here on the day you sailed extremely rough and boisterous and remained so for nearly a week. We oft remarked that you would have had a proper tossing." Grandma told little interesting incidents of the ocean voyage. She said the boat's captain called Paul "that white haired squealing little pig." We can assume that the "tossing" did make him sick and irritable and that he gave vent to his miserable feelings by crying a great deal. John and Thomas seemed to fare a little better. The cook took them to his galley several times and gave them little tidbits to eat. Uncle Thomas always said that he faintly remembered this. When they reached America they completed the remainder of the journey by railroad from the east coast to Utah. They arrived in Salt Lake City in October, 1878. Paul's grandmother Ludlow had a sister, Ellen Huish who had previously joined the Church and emigrated to Payson , Utah. After spending a week in Salt Lake City the Ludlows went to Payson and remained during the winter with Ellen and her husband, Jim Huish. In the spring Paul's father, Enoch moved his family into a house at Lake Shore and later into a dugout. They remained there until fall then moved back to Benjamin to what was called the Stewart Ranch. Much of that ranch still remains in Benjamin. There is a large house with a barn, shade trees and spring water. Stewarts live there still and I think they still use the ranch as a gathering center for the family. Enoch's family lived at this ranch site one and a half years. During this time Paul;s oldest brother, John, met and accidental death in Payson Canyon where he had gone with his father to get a load of wood. He was eight years of age. Paul always said that he could well remember the sadness of that tragic event. Enoch obtained another piece of land in east Benjamin and moved his family there. Their first dwelling consisted of an old granary and a dugout. Then they built a log house which they occupied until it was destroyed by fire. They were compelled to live in an old honey house while they were building a brick house which remained many years. During these years many more children were born to Paul's parents. They were Nathaniel, Jesse, Walter Horsefall, Enoch Jr., Richard, Fred and Priscilla, the only daughter. Now, even without John there were eight boys to help do the difficult tasks involved in clearing and cultivating the land. There were many trees to be cut, stumps to be removed and endless hours of plowing, leveling, and digging of irrigation ditches. Paul often talked about the hardships of those early days. They all went barefoot as long as the weather allowed. During the winter they wore wool sox that their mother was constantly knitting every time she sat down for a break. They had one pair of shoes made by the town shoemaker. We can assume there were boots for them to wear in the corral. Paul's schooling was very irregular. He could attend school only a short period in the winter when it was impossible to do farm work. He was compelled to leave school as soon as the spring work could begin on the farm. He has told us that he cried because he wanted to remain in school. As soon as they were settled on their farm, Enoch planted fruit trees and berry plants. Every year they planted and meticulously cared for a wonderful vegetable garden. This was a lot of work but it provided good, wholesome food for those hungry, growling boys. Lavinia baked ten huge loaves of bread every day and somehow it always disappeared. They raised their own meat and eggs and they were all fond of fruit and vegetables. These eating habits carried through life and Paul and his brothers had good gardens and orchards when they acquired their own farms. Their store rooms contained bacon, hams and every type of bottled meat to be used when fresh meat was unavailable, as well as fruit and vegetables. As a youth Paul became a musician. He bought himself a cornet (trumpet) and with the assistance of some older musicians he learned to read music and play his instrument. When he was thirteen years old a brass band was organized at Benjamin. Paul was a member of that band. Paul played in dance orchestras throughout the valley. he would work in the field all day then ride a horse to where ever the dance happened to be. One night he played at Spanish Fork. It was a stormy night and Paul was very tired. On the way home he tied the cornet to the saddle, tied the reins to himself and went to sleep allowing the horse to find its way home. All at once he awakened with water surrounding him. The bridge of Spanish Fork River had been washed out with the storm and the horse had taken to the stream. Paul arrived home a very wet young man. By the time the large, roomy house was completed, the boys were helping a little financially and the family was prospering. Paul took the initiative in landscaping their yard. He planted lawn and flowers, trees and shrubs and it was a pleasant environment for the large family. We must mention Paul's favorite sport which began as a youth and continues through his adult life. He loved to go wild duck hunting. He position should be to get the best results. He never failed to bring some game home. When the young people had "contest hunting" he was always among the first to be chosen when they had two sides competing. Paul also enjoyed playing baseball and marbles. He said that as a very young lad he was champion marble shooter. After a while his friends would not play with him because he won all their marbles. Paul and all his brothers helped Grandpa Enoch financially as they grew old enough to obtain remunerative work. They played their instruments in bands and orchestras, and worked in the Tintic mines during the winter when there was no work to do on the farm. At Tintic they usually did their own cooking and house work to save money. They kept only enough of their wages to by the absolute essentials, and gave the rest to their father. As he matured into a young man, Paul served in practically every position in the Church. He told how he also played the lead in many of the Church and town dramas. This continued even after his marriage and Adlinda didn't approve to highly of this. She told how Ione had a convulsion one night while dad was performing at one of these plays and she was there alone with the sick child. The other children were sleeping. Paul said that his first introduction to Mother (Adlinda) was at the open door of her home at Spanish Fork. He used to go there with his father to peddle fruit and as they passed Mother's home they could see through the door the table set with a clean cloth and enticing food. he said he used to wish he could sit at that table and sure enough he did,----- many times. He becomes better acquainted with Adlinda Lewis as he played for dances at Spanish Fork. She was a dance enthusiast and rarely missed one. When someone would sit in for Paul he would leave the orchestra and dance with her and so they became well acquainted. He discovered that she was a school teacher. On June 28, 1899 Paul married Adlinda Lewis in the Salt Lake Temple. They moved to Eureka, Utah and Paul worked full time in the mines. I do not know why Mother did not have her picture taken in her wedding dress. It may have been because they did not have a large reception, -- just a social given by Grandma Lewis for the family. Back on the farm Lewis, the first and only boy was born. Uncle Enoch presented him with a pair of overalls the day he was born. Everyone though that now Paul had someone to take over the farm when he retired. This was not to be. Lewis just couldn't care less for a farm and he did very well without one. As the years went by Paul improved his farm by putting in a drain, buying new farm implements and rotating his crops. All this time he kept busy working in the Church and community and going to the mines to earn extra money when it was desperately needed. Paul and Adlinda had a great desire to educate their children and this was a hardship. Each year Paul would borrow money from the bank to pay the school tuitions and pay it back as soon as the harvest checks came. He never had trouble borrowing money because he had an excellent credit rating. Agnes had studied piano for some time and she was ready to enter the university music department at BYU. She stayed with an aunt (Priscilla) in Provo the first year. We three oldest girls rented a housekeeping room in Provo the next year, then Paul decided to move Adlinda and the family to Provo while he went back to the mines for awhile. This was done and Agnes continued with her music and also completed a course in business. The rest of us who were old enough attended BYU High School. Fern was taking pre-requisites for a business course and Thelma and Ione for teaching school. Kay and Lewis attended Parker elementary school. Agnes obtained an office position at Startup Candy Company. She didn't stay there long because she married Nels Black and moved to Deseret, Millard County, Utah. Paul, Adlinda and the two youngest children moved back to the farm again. Thelma, Fern and Ione rented a small apartment and stayed in Provo. After completing their courses they eventually found employment. Later Thelma went back to gain a degree, Kay went later and completed a business course, and Lewis obtained his degree in the sciences. Ione continued to teach school. Back on the farm Paul and Adlinda were very busy working in the church and community. Besides holding leadership positions. in the auxiliary organizations, Paul was made chairman of the Genealogy Committee, was one of the seven presidents of the seventies, was a member of the Church Building Committee to build a recreation hall, chairman of the committee to purchase the church organ and two pianos. All this was done. They also purchased some seats from the old Roxy Theater in Salt Lake City to put in the hall. Francis Lundell hauled the seats from Salt Lake City in a huge threshing truck. In April 1932 Paul was appointed bishop of Benjamin Ward and he served in this capacity for nine years. Under his leadership the chapel was remodeled, a heating system installed, carpet and drapes added and an adjoining recreation hall was built. During this time he kept up his farm and served on the Spanish Fork Irrigation Board. Eventually Fern married A. Melvin Thomas and moved to San Francisco, California. (Later they returned to Salt Lake City, Utah) Ione married Glen N. Mitchell and moved to Midvale, Utah. Kay married E. Taylor Day and lived in Salt Lake City. Taylor was a manager of one of the divisions of US Rubber Company so was transferred to various cities during his career. They married Nina Blank and moved to southern California to which he returned after serving in the armed forces during the second World War. Thelma remained an unmarried career woman. Having his only son and three grandsons called into the service during the war was one of the most unhappy interludes of Paul's life. During the last years Paul served as bishop of the ward Adlinda became handicapped with arthritis. The children worried about her being alone so much while Paul was performing his church duties. The children expressed this feeling to the president of the stake and in due time Paul was released from being the bishop. By this time Paul had paid off all his obligations (financial) on the farm and the title was clear. Free of the heavy church duties he had been carrying, Paul spent more time with the farm. His ambition was as great as ever but it was becoming apparent that he could not keep up with the physical demands. Adlinda, also, was unable to help as much as she always had. It was decided that they should sell the farm and move to Salt Lake City where they would be near to some of their children. Ione was in Midvale, Thelma Fern and Kay were in Salt Lake City, Agnes was in Delta, Utah and Lewis was still serving in the middle east with the armed forces. In February of 1945, Paul and Adlinda left the farm which had been sold to Newland Hansen. They moved to a home they had purchased at 1833 Lincoln Street, Salt Lake City, Utah. They became active members of the Richards Ward. Paul worked in the yard planting shrubs and tress. He covered an irrigation ditch in the front street thus greatly improving the safety and appearance of his property. Although Paul was retired from the farm at 68 of age he felt much too young to retire completely. He found employment as a carpenter's helper at the Salt Lake City Transit Lines. When that work was cancelled he did odd jobs at Petty Motor Company. He continued this light-type of work feeling useful and still earning a little money until his final illness forced him to stop. Paul attended his church meetings and did his home teaching regularly as long as he was able to be out. One woman in the ward who had become inactive in the church said that through his efforts she was brought back into church activity, and her little boy was baptized,. He later filled a mission from the Richards Ward. Although their home in Salt Lake City was smaller than the farm house, Paul and Adlinda kept "open house" for their children and grandchildren. Many happy visits occurred out on the patio in the back yard. One of the big events of the family occurred June 28, 1949. This was the golden wedding anniversary of Paul and Adlinda. It took place in Benjamin in the recreation hall Paul had built while he was bishop of the ward. Many friends and relatives gathered to honor Paul and Adlinda and to enjoy the program presented by their children and grandchildren. A dance followed the program and refreshments were served from a beautifully decorated table. The morning the Golden Wedding social, Paul's family gather at his home and a photograph of the entire family was taken. This was the last time the entire family was together while he still was alive. During the ten years following the Golden Wedding, Fern's husband, Melvin became ill with an inoperable brain tumor, and Paul and Adlinda were there to help whenever they could. By the time Mel died Fern had had quite a struggle, and it was will that she knew she had strong parents to back her up. There were other problems too, but whether the sufferer be child or grandchild we could depend upon Paul and Adlinda to be there when needed. One day in 1957, while at work at Petty Motor Paul had a stroke and became unconscious. The company manager called Adlinda and told her they were taking Paul to the hospital. She called the girls and they went right up. He did not have recurring strokes but became conscious and steadily improved. He came home in a week and was soon back at work as he wanted to be. The following year Taylor and Kay who had been living in New York City for several years were being transferred back to San Francisco. Taylor had a heart attack in the airplane on the way back and died just as the plane reached Salt Lake City. In the meantime Fern had developed terminal cancer. While the family was still trying to recuperate from these shocks Paul contracted a lung infection and had to be isolated at home. Adlinda stayed with him and we children called there to see them every day. During this time Paul especially enjoyed the visits and assistance of Ione's husband Glen who had become, more or less, a real son to him. The treatment Paul had to take was severe, and although his lungs tested negative in a short time his heart had been strained and he carried water in his tissues. The doctor sent him to the hospital to treat him for this condition thinking he would be back in about three days. In a matter of an hour or so after arriving at the hospital he suddenly died, February 15, 1959. Adlinda and we children took Paul back to Benjamin ward for his funeral services February 18, 1959. Bishop Henry Andersen of the Salt Lake City Richards Ward went to Benjamin to be one of the speakers. Paul was buried in the Spanish Fork Cemetery.

Life timeline of John Ludlow

John Ludlow was born on 30 Dec 1872
John Ludlow died on 15 Jun 1881 at the age of 8
Grave record for John Ludlow (30 Dec 1872 - 15 Jun 1881), BillionGraves Record 6697 Benjamin, Utah, Utah, United States