John Lance Grundvig

6 May 1934 - 14 Jun 2009

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

John Lance Grundvig

6 May 1934 - 14 Jun 2009
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grandpa Grundvig loved to hike. He hiked more in the Grand Canyon than most people will in there entire lifetime. On one trip to the Grand Canyon, Mark (John and Virginia's son) and two of his kids, Ariana (me) and Clayton, hiked down to Skeleton Peak. We stopped to eat lunch, and turned around to h
Register to get full access to the grave site record of John Lance Grundvig
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

John Lance Grundvig

Married: 18 Dec 1959

Pleasant Grove City Cemetery

301-945 Utah 146
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Kathleen, Jeff, Lance, Mark

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about John Lance...

We found more records about John Lance Grundvig.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John Lance


John Lance Grundvig is buried in the Pleasant Grove City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Hiking with Grandpa Grundvig

Contributor: Simini Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

Grandpa Grundvig loved to hike. He hiked more in the Grand Canyon than most people will in there entire lifetime. On one trip to the Grand Canyon, Mark (John and Virginia's son) and two of his kids, Ariana (me) and Clayton, hiked down to Skeleton Peak. We stopped to eat lunch, and turned around to hike back out. Grandpa forgot his nice camera in the canyon, but none of us remembered until we were a mile or so back up the canyon. Mark ran back to get the camera. I remember Grandpa always carried his camera with him on his hikes and would use the opportunity to take beautiful pictures of nature. Grandpa submitted several pictures from his hiking experiences into photography competitions, several of which he won. My dad, Mark, still has many of Grandpa's pictures of the Grand Canyon and other spots in Arizona in his office and in our home. Grandpa hiked down to Colorado River in the Grand Canyon 27 times in his life. Several times with his grand children. A family favorite hike was the Red Castle backpacking trip in the Uinta mountains. Even towards the end of Grandpa's life, he would come with all of his grand kids to backpack and hike with us for the first day. Then camp near the trailhead with Grandma to do his dialysis in the woods. He was very legit. Grandpa loved the gospel and would gather the family together during every family reunion to share his testimony. He was a spiritual leader for all of us.

John Lance Grundvig’s Life Highlights by Jeffrey Grundvig

Contributor: Simini Created: 4 years ago Updated: 4 years ago

John Lance Grundvig’s Life Highlights Written and given by Jeffrey Grundvig in the Memorial Service June 18, 2009 John Lance Grundvig was born on Sunday, May 6th 1934, in Salt Lake City Utah to Lancelot Cox Grundvig and Marie Astin. He was the second of three children, with an older sister Jeanne, and a younger brother Paul. He grew up in the avenues near the Capitol building in Salt Lake City Utah. Despite the success that would come in later years, John had to repeat the first grade. Dad had his moments of mischievousness growing up. His first year at Scout camp on the first night when all the rest of the camp had gathered for the evening campfire program, he and a friend decided to sneak off and set off an explosion, which he said created no small stir. He and his friend then hustled back to camp, but since everyone else was at the campfire and only two boys were missing it didn’t take long to figure out who the culprits were, so he was told that he would have to go home. But instead of going home he hid out for the whole week, hiking and fishing and being supplied with food from his other friends. I suspect that he didn’t earn any merit badges that year. He also had constructive involvement and accomplishment during his school years. In high school he sang in the glee club and ran the quarter mile in track. His senior year in high school his mile relay team from Salt Lake’s West High won the state championship. John grew up camping, hiking and fishing with his Father and family which are passions he carried through life and has passed on to his children and grandchildren. He would often tell stories of how he would pack a heavy inflatable yellow rubber raft into the high lakes of the Uinta Mountains along with his other gear in order to maximize his fishing opportunities. When he was a young father Kathleen would sometimes be carried on top of the raft. On one trip the destination was to climb the highest mountain in Utah, Kings peak. After reaching the summit and studying the map he realized that they had ascended little Kings peak instead which was about 40 feet shorter than Kings peak. But at that point he was too tired to correct the mistake. He never did make it to the top of Kings peak. Although he was baptized in the LDS church his father was not a member and his mother was not particularly active in the church. But after high school as John’s friends began to leave to serve missions, he too developed a desire to serve a mission but felt that he was not knowledgeable enough to do so. So he began studying the gospel and read all of the Old and New Testaments, the book of Mormon and other scriptures. When he felt ready he was called and served a two year mission in The West Central States, mainly in Montana and North Dakota in 1957 and 1958. After his mission he returned home to the Ensign Ward in Salt Lake City and was asked to serve as the speech director for the young men. It so happened that the speech director for the young women in the ward was an attractive medical technology student from Alaska named Virginia Boulter. Virginia was finishing her studies while interning at the LDS hospital in Salt Lake. John and Virginia started dating and at first went on many double dates often exchanging partners with a few other friends, but before long John and Virginia began focusing on each other. As they became serious John would invite Virginia over and read out loud to her. During this courting period he read to her the entire novel Ben Hur, which impressed Virginia that he was something special. After dating for a year or so John and Virginia were married December 18, 1959 in the Salt Lake Temple. During the first part of their marriage Dad spent 6 months on active duty in the army at Fort McClellan in Alabama and while there his and Virginia’s first child and only daughter, Kathleen, was born in 1960. As he continued his education back at the University of Utah a son, Jeffrey Paul, followed in 1962. Although neither of his parents went to college, John chartered a new course in the importance of education for his family, and obtained four degrees from the University of Utah, a Bachelors in Chemistry, and a Bachelors, Masters, and Ph.D. in Psychology. Dad once told me that he switched his studies from chemistry to psychology in part because of his mission experience and the impact it had on him as he came to experience the joy that is associated with helping others to change and improve their lives. Kathleen and I both have memories of helping Dad with his Ph.D. research which dealt with the sense of smell and we remember having electrodes placed all over our head while Dad recorded our brain waves while subjecting us to various tests. Dad received his doctorate in psychology in 1965 and took a job as a neurological researcher with the Veterans Administration in Salt Lake City. His second son, Alan Lance, was born the following year in 1966. During that year he worked for six months as an instructor at the Virginia Military Institute. I have memories of Dad helping me to learn to ride a bike while we lived in Lexington, Virginia. Back in Salt Lake City, John and Virginia’s final child, Mark Clayton, was born on Christmas eve 1968. While mom was spending Christmas in the hospital with the new baby, Dad was sent home to place the presents under the tree, not realizing that mom had purchased toys on sale during the year with intention of covering not only Christmas but all the birthdays during the year, Dad placed everything under the tree giving the three older children a little extra Christmas excitement that year. Sorry Mark but you missed out. In 1970 John took a job as the Chief of Psychology at the Knoxville, Iowa Veterans Hospital. We have fond memories of our time in Iowa, doing such things as searching for the prized Morel mushrooms in the Elm forests during the spring, visiting the Indian mounds along the Mississippi River bluffs, and being stranded in a winter blizzard in Nebraska while returning from a Christmas trip to Utah. After four years in Iowa in 1974 the family moved to Florida where dad took the job as Chief of Psychology at the Tampa, Florida Veterans Hospital. Family memories in Florida include boat trips up the swampy Hillsborough river, and fishing in Tampa Bay. After another four years in Florida feeling a desire to do less administrative work and to work more closely with patients and also wishing to return to the mountains of the west, Dad took his final professional position as a Clinical Psychologist at the Veterans Hospital here in Prescott in 1978. After having moved around the country in four year increments I don’t think any of us expected Dad to spend the rest of life here but Dad and Mom loved it here and here it was they stayed. Here it was that all the children graduated from Prescott High. Dad loved it here not only because of the natural setting and recreational opportunities, but more so because of the many wonderful friends whom he and Mom have come to know and love while living here. These many friends have had a wonderful impact on their lives and many of whom are here today, so on behalf of all the family I would like to thank you for your friendship and the positive impact you have had in our lives, not only Mom and Dad but we children too. Wherever we lived family vacations were always a big part of our life. We had a starcraft popup trailer which we pulled all over the country from the everglades of Florida to the forests of Maine. On one particular trip to a Florida state park, Lance collected a pocketful of little green tree frogs and brought them back into the trailer, so after he let his new pets loose inside the trailer it created some commotion as we tried to round them up. We often would return to Utah to visit family and to hike in the Uinta mountains where Dad had spent so much time as a youth. When I was about 7 or 8 years old Dad took me on a my first backpacking trip. Dad didn’t need a trail to get somewhere so with a topographical map and compass we set off. The trip started with a river crossing so Dad put on his old rubber waders and carried me and our packs across the river and stashed his waders under a tree for the return trip. Then we headed off over a mountain to the beautiful Red Castle lake. I remember being terrified while we crossed a snow bank above tree line on the mountain worried that I would slip a fall down the mountain. That night we slept in the shadow of Red Castle mountain under the stars. During the night a large boulder was dislodged high on the mountain and came crashing down echoing through the valley, creating a tremendous effect. What I remember the most about this trip was how close I felt to my father, and coming to believe that my Father could do anything, and that I could literally trust him with my life. We had and old GMC Travelall with two bench seats. All four of us kids would sit in the back seat with Kathleen on the left side behind the driver and myself on the far right. After this back- packing trip I remember wanting to switch places with Kathleen so that I could be closer to my Father. Well this turned out to be the first of many trips to Red Castle lake which has become a favorite family destination. A few years later Dad took the whole family in, and when each of his sons were married our respective spouses were initiated into the family with a backpacking trip into Red Castle lake. As the grandchildren have grown we have now made two trips in with grandchildren as well. The last time we went Dad was on kidney dialysis and was not able to make the entire journey himself, but he brought his dialysis equipment to the trail head and hiked with us part way before returning to the campground at the trail head and we have a picture of him performing dialysis at the campground with his fluid bag hanging from a tree. After moving to Arizona he came to love the canyons and beauty of this state, particularly the Grand Canyon where his spent over 60 nights in the inner canyon. We have back packed as a family to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Mark and Lance were the particular beneficiaries of many hiking trips exploring the wonders of Arizona. Dad and Mom continued these outdoor adventures after the children were grown and gone. Dad and Mom have done at least three rim to rim hikes through the Grand Canyon, which were from South rim to North Rim in one day, then after a days rest back to the car . He has continued to share these passions with grandchildren whenever they have come to visit, and the grandchildren now all have memories of taking walks with Grandpa to Indian ruins in the area as well as doing some day hiking in the Grand Canyon. I think we would all like to thank Dad for these many opportunities he gave to us and for the love of the natural world and the great outdoors which he shared with us and which will continue to bless our lives. Dad coached his sons in basketball and soccer as they grew, and became quite involved in the American Youth Soccer Organization here in Prescott, serving for several years as a referee and eventually as the Commissioner of the Prescott AYSO. Photography was another hobby he pursued through life and he was an active member of the Prescott photography club, where he won several awards. His home has many of his pictures hanging on the walls in the various rooms. The family will remember him for all the pictures he took at family reunions, and we will long remember standing around to have a group picture taken and hearing his voice saying “wait, wait, just one more”. He had a love for a wide variety music, and we grew up listening to a range of music from Dixieland jazz to opera. Dad and mom made two trips out to New York City to see the metropolitan opera, and were avid symphony concert patrons throughout their lives. We kids have many memories of attending various concerts in the various places we lived and have carried on his love for and involvement in music in our lives. Dad enjoyed singing in community choirs in the various places we lived, and I remember him taking me to a performance of Beethoven’s choral symphony when we lived in Tampa. Dad also enjoyed various sports throougut life playing softball and tennis with colleagues and friends and after retirement he became quite an avid golfer until his health declined. In Florida he took up scuba diving. He also enjoyed writing some poetry on occasion,. So as you can see he was always interested in learning new things and was actively living life. But amidst all these interests and hobbies he was a remarkably dedicated and supportive father, always taken time to attend concerts, and school and church events in which his children were involved. Even though he was not a practicing church member himself during most of our lives he was always supportive of us in our religious activities, coming to hear us speak in church and supporting us both financially and emotionally as we all served missions. On one occasion when Mark was a senior in high school Mark had apparently become somewhat disruptive in the seminary class he was attending here in Prescott and so a letter was sent home asking for Mark’s behavior to improve. At the time some of the family felt that Mark was somewhat justified in not being the most cooperative student, but Dad, even though he was not a believer himself at the time and would have been fine if Mark had not attended seminary at all, sat down and discussed the matter with him, explaining that while Mark had his choice of whether he would attend seminary or not, if he decided to go he needed to be a constructive positive participant in the class. And that solved the issue. Dad was not a perfect man. I remember on one occasion when I was an older teenager working on a project with him, he became upset with me about something and lost his temper and said some things which weren’t necessary, I don’t remember what it was that upset him but I do remember afterwards he approached me and humbly apologized and asked for my forgiveness. So despite some personal weaknesses he always tried to do what he believed to be right and to fulfill his roll as father. He was a wise man, and continued to offer advice and guidance as his grown children have faced difficulties in their lives. At times I and others of his children have asked him to help with grandchildren, who were struggling with various issues, and he was always willing to step up and do that, and he would invariably have a positive impact when he did so. I’d like to wrap up by saying a few words about Dad’s faith. Through the course of pursuing an advanced intellectual degree as he struggled with and discussed with colleagues some perceived conflicts between his secular education and his religious faith, he gradually began to loose his faith in God and in the gospel. So when we were fairly young children he stopped participating in church and started pursuing other interests to fill that void. During this nearly 30 year period of being out of the church he seemed to have developed a somewhat cynical attitude toward church and religion. But even during this time he never tried to pressure us to not follow our own conscience in matters of faith, and indeed as I have mentioned before was always very supportive of us. I think all of us children over the years especially as we served and returned from missions made some attempt to talk to Dad about spiritual matters and tried to encourage him back into the fold. But Dad felt that he needed to be true to himself and couldn’t pretend to live something that he didn’t believe. In the LDS faith anyone is welcome to come an attend our weekly meetings which are held in chapels like this, we also have buildings called temples which we hold as special holy and sacred places where we are asked to live by certain standards in order to go in. When the first of John’s children was preparing to be married in the temple he of coarse would have liked to be part of that ceremony and thought about changing his life so that he would be able to do that, but he realized that even if he were going through outward motions he would merely be pretending to be something which he did not believe. To me this is a demonstration of his integrity even when he was not particularly religious. And so as each of his children was married in the temple he waited on the outside. But as his children grew and started families of their own and as he watched the positive impact the gospel of Christ was having on the lives of his children and his grandchildren I think his heart began to soften and he began to reconsider some of the attitudes he had previously taken. And I think most of all due to the example, the love, the kindness and the patience of his good wife, our Mother, he slowly began to change, whereas in his early professional life his intellectualism had caused him to start questioning and doubting his faith, now later in life he found himself beginning to question and doubt his unbelief. At first coming to church on occasion, and then coming often to Sacrament Meeting regularly and then participating in the church choir, and then he began reading and studying the scriptures, and as he did these things the spirit began to work on him and his faith began to return. It was about 10 years ago that he came all the way back, and when he did it was a 100% plus, willing and desirous to accept any calling or responsibility and as a result he has greatly blessing the lives of his fellow ward members, and most importantly his family. During this last period of life Dad served for several years as the ward clerk in the bishopric, and as the family history center director. About ten years ago we as family were able to attend the temple all together for the first time which was a wonderful experience. For the last several years Dad has made it point to share his testimony at family reunions, and he has inspired and blessed our lives as he has assumed his roll as the spiritual patriarch of the Grundvig family. He went into the hospital on his birthday May 6th this year. Little did we know that he would not be returning home. Even after he had become so weak in the hospital that he could barely move and talk he was asking my mother to check on families for whom he had home teaching responsibility. At the end of May all of us children were all able to fly out to Prescott and spend some time with him in the hospital. So a couple of weeks ago in the hospital as we were standing around his bed, and when he could barely speak as his body had become so weak he asked us to sing a hymn for him. The hymn he wanted us to sing was “I stand all amazed”. As we sang the first verse he quietly mouthed the words along with us as we sang. When we stopped after the first verse he indicated for us to continue with the second. Not having a hymn book we struggled to remember the words of the second verse and so he began to whisper to us the words of the second verse to us to help us out. It was somewhat of a spiritual experience for me to be able to spend some time at my father’s bedside as he prepared to leave this life. At this time when all pretenses and superficial things are put aside he wanted to express the deepest feelings of his heart he wanted to express his love and gratitude for his family and his love and gratitude for his Savior. I feel like this hymn which he asked us to sing at this time is in a way an expression of his testimony and so in closing I would like to read the first two versus. I Stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me, confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me. I tremble to know that for me he was crucified, that for me a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died. Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me, enough to die for me, oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me. I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine, to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine, That he should extend his great love unto such as I, sufficient to own, to redeem and to justify Oh it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me, Oh it is wonderful, wonderful to me. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. Note: John died on Sunday June 14, 2009 at 1:15 P.M. in Kindred Hospital in Scottsdale, Arizona. His wife Virginia, and sons Jeff and Lance were at his side as he left this life.

Life timeline of John Lance Grundvig

John Lance Grundvig was born on 6 May 1934
John Lance Grundvig was 11 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
John Lance Grundvig was 19 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
John Lance Grundvig was 30 years old when Martin Luther King Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality through nonviolence. Martin Luther King Jr. was an American Baptist minister and activist who became the most visible spokesperson and leader in the civil rights movement from 1954 until his death in 1968. Born in Atlanta, King is best known for advancing civil rights through nonviolence and civil disobedience, tactics his Christian beliefs and the nonviolent activism of Mahatma Gandhi helped inspire.
John Lance Grundvig was 45 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
John Lance Grundvig was 52 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
John Lance Grundvig was 56 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
John Lance Grundvig died on 14 Jun 2009 at the age of 75
Grave record for John Lance Grundvig (6 May 1934 - 14 Jun 2009), BillionGraves Record 36259 Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States