John Lambert

31 Jan 1820 - 25 Nov 1893

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

John Lambert

31 Jan 1820 - 25 Nov 1893
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF JOHN LAMBERT Written by Ralph B. Montgomery in 1998 (Note: Ralph B. Montgomery is the grandson of Mary Elizabeth Lambert (daughter of John Lambert) and Robert Booth Montgomery.) Born 31 Jan 1820, Gargrave, West Riding, Yorkshire, England Died 25 Nov 1893, Kamas, Summit, Utah, USA The Lamb

Life Information

John Lambert


Kamas Cemetery

1341-1355 Utah 32
Francis, Summit, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

born YorkShire England, died Kamas, UT


June 8, 2012


May 29, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of John


John Lambert is buried in the Kamas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of John Lambert

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

HISTORY OF JOHN LAMBERT Written by Ralph B. Montgomery in 1998 (Note: Ralph B. Montgomery is the grandson of Mary Elizabeth Lambert (daughter of John Lambert) and Robert Booth Montgomery.) Born 31 Jan 1820, Gargrave, West Riding, Yorkshire, England Died 25 Nov 1893, Kamas, Summit, Utah, USA The Lamberts of Yorkshire, England, were farmers and stock raisers. They used to go to Scotland each fall and bring back a herd of black cattle (presumably of the Galloway or Angus breeds) fatten them on oil cake and drive them to London to market. These people trace their ancestry back to Sir Rudolphus Lambert, an uncle of William the Conqueror who came to England from Normandy in 1066 A.D. This man, Rudolphus Lambert, was allotted an estate in Yorkshire. John Lambert, pioneer of "Rhoades Valley" now Kamas, Utah, was born at Gargrave,Yorkshire, England, 31 Jan 1820, son of Richard Lambert and Patience Vay. He was the third child of a family of five, two older sisters, Elizabeth and Hannah, and two younger brothers, Richard and Joseph. As a young boy he [John] had to make his own living as his father died when he was 13 years old. He never had a day of schooling and never learned to read or write very well, but he was exceptionally good at figures. John first heard the gospel preached by Elder Francis Moon in 1837 and was baptized in October of the same year. In 1840, with his brother Richard, he emigrated to America, coming on the sailing vessel "North America" and spending thirty-two days on the water. Landing at New York they took a steamboat up the Hudson River to Albany where they transferred to a flat horse-drawn boat on the Erie Canal which took them to Buffalo, New York. This boat is said to have traveled so slowly that the passengers had time to explore the countryside where they found an abundance of wild apples which they relished very much. From Buffalo, John Lambert with his brother Richard, went on the lakes to Chicago. From there they traveled by horse and wagon to a point on Rock River where they built a flat boat in which they floated down the Rock River and the Mississippi, arriving at Nauvoo, Illinois sometime in the fall of 1840. For ten years John Lambert lived with the Mormons in Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. It was here he met his first wife, Adelia G. Groesbeck, of Dutch descent. She was sitting under a tree reading a book which proved to be the Book of Mormon. Two weeks later, Feb. 6, 1846, they were married at Sugar Creek, Iowa. John Lambert was a member of the Nauvoo Legion and well acquainted with the Prophet Joseph Smith. Being about the same size and build as the Prophet, they often jumped and wrestled together. He was fourteen years younger than the Prophet, but his association with this great leader was an important period of his training. His daughter, Elena, remembers some unique experiences related by her father. Once when members of a mob were waiting outside a meeting house where the Prophet was talking, an old white-headed man stood by the Prophet with a halo round them both. He went to the door with the Prophet, the mob stepped back and he went through without being touched. John believed the man by the prophet's side to be one of the three Nephites. To him [John] the Prophet was next to Christ in greatness. Another time there was a drought in Illinois and the Prophet called the people together to pray for rain. When the meeting began there wasn't a cloud in the sky but by the time it was out a steady rain was falling. After the Prophet's death, John Lambert, my grandfather, had one of the bullets he was shot with, also the handkerchief he had around his neck at the time of his death. He prized these treasures and kept them carefully wrapped and in a tin box called an "English Caddy." Many people came to his home to see them. This was a stirring time in Mormon history. Sam Brannon on the ship, "Brooklyn" led a well organized group of people to the west coast. The main body of Mormons also left for the Great Basin. Everyone was busy disposing of their property as well as they could and bartering for supplies to take with them on their long journey. John Lambert was also preparing to come to Utah. He with his wife Adelia and two children, Adelaide and John Carlos were members of the Lorenzo Young Company who came to Utah, arriving 11 Sept. 1850. They settled in the Second Ward in Salt Lake City and built a fence around the first lot in the ward. This lot was located at 7th South and 4th East. At this home the following children were born: Mary Adelia, Sarah Amelia, Richard Franklin, Jedediah Grant and Ann Maria. As a stone mason John Lambert was experienced in a very useful occupation in building Zion. He worked on the Salt Lake Temple and farmed a ten-acre tract of land south of the city. It is said that Brigham Young offered him the lot where the Salt Lake Theater was later built if he would continue to work on the Temple, but he did not like the bosses under whom he was expected to work, so he declined and accepted a call to go and help build up "Rhodes Valley" which is now Kamas, Utah. He also had a chance to acquire the land where Gilmer Park now is, but instead he and his family moved to Kamas in the spring of 1861. It was not long after their arrival in Utah that the doctrine of plural marriage began to be practiced more extensively. It is told by his daughter that one day his wife, Adelia said, "John, come here and look out the window, there goes your wife." This was Elena Hansina Larsen, a Danish girl, the first to be baptized in Denmark. They were married in Salt Lake City 10 June 1855. Three children were born to them in their Salt Lake City home, Joseph Heber, Ephraim, and Dan. Twelve more children were born to them while in Kamas. John Lambert experienced the anxiety of the coming of the soldiers and the fear for the safety of his wives and children. The second wife relates in a sketch of her life years later some of the hardships of the move. The women and children were taken south to Utah Valley. As no houses could be built on such short notice, she was left in the shelter of an upturned wagon box. Later a family whose house was "up to the square" in the course of construction, invited her to move into their quarters and share them. This she did even if there was no roof over their heads. Brigham Young called men to take their families and go to different regions. This is why the John Lambert family moved to "Rhoades Valley" or Kamas as it is now called. John built the first house in Kamas, Summit County, Utah, and a memorial stands on that spot today. After moving to Kamas, two children, Emma Cordelia and Mercy were born to Adelia, the first wife, and Elena Dorothy, Elizabeth, Sarah Christina, Rebecca Cornelia, Laura Amanda, Benjamin, Parley, Emmeline Agnes, and Alice Adelia were born to Hansine, the second wife. The food was coarse and offered little variety. John cleared land and planted wheat, but the snow was so deep the next winter that they could not get to the mill at Salt Lake City when they ran out of flour. The Lamberts had brought a hand coffee mill with them and this was used to grind the wheat for making mush and a very coarse bread. They also cooked the whole wheat and ate that instead of bread. They had pork, mutton and some beef, but very little sugar. For sweetening they used a sticky red syrup made from table beets. Prices were high compared with the wages the people received at that time. John Lambert was a great friend to the Indians. He believed as Brigham Young said, it is better to feed them than to fight them. Many times they had two large tables full of Indians to feed at one time. The Indians used to come to Kamas in tribes and they always called for "Namba" as they called him. He sometimes gave them a sheep or a beef. At one time the Indians stole their horses. His son, John, with two others, William Gibson and Oscar Clark, went after them. He told the boys to be very cautious in what they did or said and not to shoot unless they had to. The three young men followed the Indians to what was called Blue Mountains, the other side of Vernal. They were gone two weeks, but got the horses back without serious trouble. On their way home they ran out of food and could find no water. William Gibson killed a rabbit a nd drank its blood, but the other two couldn't do it. His daughter remembers as a child of moving to Peoa in covered wagons and living in a tent while the men built a fort for protection against the Indians. The old log school house was dirt roofed with logs to sit on for benches. Slabs were used and finally desk seats for two. His daughter also tells this story. There was an elderly lady by the name of Davis that lived in their community and the young boys were always teasing her, especially these three: Bub Parks, Howard Deluce, and Cal McCormick. One day they killed her cat. Mrs. Davis skinned and cleaned the cat and cooked it with some lovely dumplings and invited the three boys to dinner. They came and after eating told her how good the meat and dumplings were. She then told them and they went outside and lost their dinner, but it didn't seem to bother the other one. John's brother, Richard, remained in Illinois and became a leader of the Reorganized Church. His mother and young brother, Joseph, came to Utah where Joseph died at an early age, and his mother married again. John Lambert was a lover of horses and had the biggest, best team of anyone in the country He took such good care of them that his wife sometimes told him she thought he thought more of his horses than he did of his family. He said no he didn't, but his family could take and care for themselves and poor, dumb animals couldn't. He was always the first one to get out and build bridges and clear the snow off the roads so they could be traveled on and the children could get to school. He was good at caring for sick animals and whenever any of the neighbors' horses got sick they always brought them to him to be doctored. Early in life he lost the sight of one eye from the effects of erysipelas, this of course, was a great handicap. He was ordained a Seventy on 24 Oct. 1844 by John Eldridge and remained faithful Latter-day Saint until the time of his death. I have often heard his daughter Elena say that her father always said that when he died he wanted the Prophet Joseph Smith to come and accompany him to the spirit world. His last illness was a stroke and he was paralyzed and unable to talk. His son, Dan, was the only person in the room when his father died and he said he saw the Prophet by the side of his father's bed as he passed away. The family always felt that because their father was unable to talk, his son was permitted to see the Prophet so they would know that their father's wish had been granted. John Lambert lived to be 73 years old and died from the effects of the stroke, 25 Nov. 1893, at Kamas, Utah and is buried in the cemetery there. He has a large posterity and many of his descendants have pioneered Uintah, Wasatch, and Duchesne counties. From an account in the "History of Uintah County" p.230, it appears that John Lambert went to Ashley Valley in 1881 to escape the "polyg hunters." The following is an excerpt from that history: "The organization of the first church in the Ashley Valley took place in January 1878. Thomas Bingham, a Mormon polygamist who had arrived in 1877, was chosen to preside over the little colony of LDS members called by President John Taylor to settle Ashley Valley. In 1878 Bingham reported to church officials that a hundred Mormons had settled in the valley and advised that a church organization should be formed. His request was granted, and the organizational meeting was held near the Green River. The members were placed under the jurisdiction of the Wasatch Stake, with headquarters in Heber City. On 1 June 1879 three districts were formed and presidents selected: Mountain Dell (Dry Fork), Thomas Bingham; Incline (Jensen), Fred G. Williams; and Ashley Center, Jeremiah Hatch. Church meetings were held in homes until schoolhouses or meeting houses were built. "The arrival of additional Mormons in the Uintah Basin led to the organization on 11 September 1881 of Ashley Center and Mountain Dell into wards; the former district presidents became bishops.[p.230] Included among the new arrivals were a number of polygamists seeking to evade arrest by federal officials for violation of anti-polygamy laws. Federal marshals followed polygamists into the Uintah Basin, and while some including Thomas Bingham, Jr., and Frank Hadlock were arrested and sent to the territorial prison in Salt Lake City; others like John Lambert managed to escape arrest by hiding under an overturned wagon bed, and then spent the winter concealed in the middle of a haystack with a hole cut down from the top." ~Ralph B.Montgomery, May 1998 * * * * * * * * All the above was copied December 2010 by Tonette Nielsen Taylor, a great-great-granddaughter of John Lambert, from Venita Parry Roylance’s website at ****************************************************************************

John Lambert Emigration

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Record of the Immigration of John Lambert and his Siblings as found on the CD, "Mormon Immigration Index" published by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints © 2000 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. Packet Ship North America, departing from Liverpool 8 Sep 1840 arriving in New York, New York, 12 Oct 1840 Family members listed in Passenger list: * LAMBERT, Elizabeth Gender: F Age: 25 Origin: England Occ: Stockmaker Note: Customs List, p. 3 * LAMBERT, Joseph Gender: M Age: 19 Origin: England * LAMBERT, Richard Gender: M Age: 17 Origin: England * LAMBERT, John Gender: M Age: 16 Origin: England (Note: It appears there was a mistake in the identification of Joseph and John, as Joseph was the youngest son in the family and John the oldest. Patience VAY LAMBERT, mother, was not on this voyage. She was on the ship Rochester, 21 Apr 1841.) Ship: North America Date of Departure: 8 Sep 1840 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England LDS Immigrants: 201 Church Leader: Theodore Turley Date of Arrival: 12 Oct 1840 Port of Arrival: New York, New York Source(s): Customs #779 (FHL #002,289); NSHP; Diary of William Clayton, pp. 73-96 Notes:"EMIGRATION. . . . Elder Theodore Turley, who is on his return to his family, sailed from Liverpool for New York, in company with several others, on the 7th of August, [September] on board the packet ship, North America. We bid them God speed . . . ." "SECOND COMPANY. -- North America, about 200 souls. Saturday, September 5th, 1840, Apostles Brigham Young and Willard Richards went from Manchester to Liverpool, and in the evening organized a company of Saints bound for New York, by choosing Elder Theodore Turley, a returning missionary, to preside, with six counselors, among whom was Elder William Clayton, one of the earliest English converts. Apostles Brigham Young and Willard Richards went on board the North America on Monday the 7th, and remained with the Saints on board over night. On Tuesday morning, about nine o'clock, the vessel was tugged out by a steamer. The Apostles accompanied the emigrants about fifteen miles, and then left them in good spirits. The company had a prosperous voyage to New York, where they arrived in the beginning of October, and from there they continued the journey to Buffalo, New York. Owing to the expensiveness of the route many of the emigrants fell short of means to complete the journey to Nauvoo; they therefore divided at Buffalo, a part going to settle in and around Kirtland, Ohio, while the balance, under the leadership of Theodore Turley, continued the journey to Nauvoo, to which place Joseph the Prophet states he had the pleasure of welcoming about one hundred of them, about the middle of October, 1841." * * * * * * * * All the above was copied December 2010 by Tonette Nielsen Taylor, a great-great-granddaughter of John Lambert, from my mother’s cousin’s, Venita Parry Roylance, website at **********************************************************************************

John Lambert Trek West

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Record of the Overland Travel John Lambert and his Family as found at the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847-1868 Website Benjamin Hawkins Company* Departing from Kanesville, Iowa, 5 June 1850 Arriving in Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, 9 Sep 1850 Family members listed in Passenger list: * Lambert, John (30) * Lambert, Adelia Groesbeck (28) * Lambert, Martha Adelaide (3) * Lambert, John Carlos (1) (Note: It is assumed that John’s mother, Patience Vay Lambert, and his brother, Joseph, also traveled with this company, but their names have not been found on any company roster.) "Emigration (From the Frontier Guardian, June 12th, 1850)," Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star 15 Aug. 1850, 252-53. We have attended the organization of 350 wagons of Salt Lake Emigrants up to Saturday 8th inst., Capt. Milo Andrews [Andrus] is a-head with fifty wagons. Next follows, Capt. Benjamin Hawkins with one hundred; Thomas S. Johnson, Capt. of 1st Division, and ---- Capt. of Second Division. We left them at Council Grove 12 miles from Bethlehem west of the Missouri river, on the morning of the 7th inst. Next in succession is Bishop Aaron Johnson with a train of one hundred wagons; Elisha [Elijah] Everett [Averett], Capt. of 1st Division, and Matthew Caldwell, Capt. of the 2nd Division. Next in order is Capt. James Pace with one hundred. Richard Session, Capt. of 1st Division, and David Bennett, Capt. of 2nd Division. The Emigrants are generally well fitted out with wagons and teams, provisions, &c. There are some wagons quite too heavy. Those brought from St. Louis are good, but too heavy. A heavy wagon with a stiff tongue is unsuitable for the journey. Let no person hereafter buy a wagon for this trip unless its tongue has a joint in the hounds forward of the axletree. Light wagons that will bear from sixteen to twenty hundred pounds, are the most suitable for this service. These heavy lumber concerns should be left here, and not used by our people, neither by anybody else, unless they choose. The number of California wagons that have crossed at this point, is about 4,500 averaging 3 men to the wagon, making 13,500 men, and about 22,000 head of horses, mules, oxen, and cows. Our own emigration to Salt Lake Valley will amount to about 700 wagons as nearly as we, at present, can determine. They take two new carding machines in addition to one sent last year, besides much other valuable machinery. They also take about 4000 sheep and 5000 head of cattle, horses, and mules. With the facilities for improvement that are already in the Valley, and those that are now going, we may expect to see that hitherto, desolate region, growing rapidly into importance, and consideration. Success to the West, and to Western enterprize, to Western men and measures! "Let the Wilderness and the solitary place be glad for them, and the desert rejoice and blossom as the rose." Reminiscences, 1864, 8-10 Samuel Kendall Gifford So I started for the Rocky Mountains in the spring of 1850. I went to Council Bluffs and found my mother in Plum Hollow on the east side of the Missouri River. She packed up and I took her with me. We then went to Council Point where I found Uncle Levi Gifford and family who were getting ready for the journey. We staid a few days for them to get ready and then we drove down to the lower ferry below the mouth of the Platte River. Here we found a great many had gathered to be organized for the journey. We were organized into Brother [Benjamin] Hawkins’ hundred, Thomas Johnson’s fifty. My team consisted of one yoke of oxen, one yoke of three year old steers and one yoke of cows. We crossed the river in a flat boat and camped at the mouth of Salt Creek on the Platte bottom. Here I consider a miracle was wrought for the benefit of the companies that were about to cross the plains. The Pawnee Indians made their appearance by hundreds, and I believe by thousands, for they could be seen standing on the bluffs like a thousand stumps. Quite a lot of them came into camp and commenced begging and stealing, and stole more than they begged. One finally stole a sack of crackers, and got caught at it and brought it back. The old Chief, quite an old Indian gave him a number of heavy licks with his riding whip over the head and gave him a terrible talking to. I suppose it was for getting caught and not for stealing. About this time it was discovered that a Gentile who had come up on a steamboat and got into our company to cross the Plains was nearly dead with the small pox. This word was soon conveyed to the Redmen who disappeared like dew before the searching rays of the sun. The Cholera also commenced it work in camp and soon we burried a gentile that died of the Cholera and then Peter Shirts’ wife died. Then Captain Thomas Johnson called the camp together and said “If you will do as I tell you with regard to the water that you use for drinking I will promise you that there shall not more than five die in this camp with the Cholera.” All believed what he said and did accordingly and the strange promise was literally fulfilled, for just five and no more died. While the gold seekers ahead of us and the Saints behind us were dying at a fearfut rate. I will now tell about the water. The Platte water being muddy, there had been wells dug all along the Platte bottom to get clear water. The wells were about six feet deep with steps dug to get to the water. The council was this, “To not go near those wells for water but get their water out of the river and drink none without boiling and to fill their churns, teakettles, and everything that they had that would hold water with boiled water to use while traveling. There was in the camp a kind of a fearful looking for the Small pox, as quite a number had been exposed, but no one had it. The Lord had respects to the words of his servant and preserved the camp from farther sickness and death. Brother Lorenzo Young overtook our camp with a large herd of sheep one days drive below the south crossing of the Platte. When we came to the crossing we unloaded some of our wagons and took the sheep over in wagons. We had to raise our wagon boxes to cross the river to keep things dry. After crossing, Uncle Levi Gifford, Abram and Iabex [Jabez] Durfee and myself started to accompany Lorenzo Young to help guard his sheep through but we had but traveled one day until word came to us that Aunt Deborah Gifford could not be spared from Johnson camp, so Uncle Levi and myself stopped and waited for the company. I will here state that while I was at Council Point I took a severe Diarrhea and it continued to weaken me down until I was quite weak. We made camp one afternoon on the bank of the river where there was no wood to be got without crossing onto an island. It was perhaps from fifteen to 20 rods across to the island, and a portion of it was quite deep. We took ropes over with us and lashed a lot of wood together leaving rope enough so that we could swim ahead of the wood and pull it after us. When I was within a rod of the shore I commenced sinking. It was discovered by a lot of men on the shore. I had on heavy boots and was very weak and did not realize it till I got into deep water. About the same time a boy a little below was sinking for the third time when some man caught him and brought him to shore. The horror that reigned in camps ahead of us cannot be described. Sometimes (places) for miles could be seen, feather beds, blankets, quilts, and clothing of every kind strewed over the plains, also wagon tires and irons of every description, gun barrels, stoves, etc. etc. The bottom of the Sweetwater was also lined with wagon tires, chains and other irons. And fresh graves could be seen in every direction. We met some missionaries going east who said they met companies of the gold emigration that were driving twelve abreast, hurrying to get away from the Cholera. Missouri and Illinois were well represented among the dead. These were the two states that had driven the Saints enmass ______ and some of them their bones are now bleaching on the plains. We continued our journey slowly till at length we camped fifteen miles below Laramie, a small fort where a few of Uncle Sam’s soldiers were stationed. Here we found a camp of Indians of the Sioux Nation. These were the first redmen we had seen since the great small pox scare on Salt Creek. One of my steers became so lame that I had to leave him on the Prairie. I took a widow woman into my wagon and hitched up or yoked up a cow belonging to her and thus we continued our journey. An old man by the name of Richards who had a cancer on his lip, a captain of a ten in our company, got mad because Captain Johnson asked him to help some of the poor by letting them use some of his loose cattle (of which he had a great plenty) to help them on their journey. He took his ten and went ahead of the main compnay and drove to Bitter Cottonwoods in the Black Hills where there was good water, wood and feed. And when Captain Johnson came up a little later with the balance of the company (ie) the main company, Richards behaved like a mad-man. He started out very early the next morning and we saw him no more till we got to Deer Creek. Here Johnson took a halt by the edge of a nice grove of Boxelders, made a coalpit and burned coal, staid twelve days fixing wawgons, setting tires and shoeing oxen etc. I had not got my tire set. I was told that I could wedge them on. The idea was something new to me but I went to work and wedged them till I thought all was safe but I had not gone a half a mile till I had to stop and wedge up again, but I soon learned how to wedge a wagon. I will here mention that I had not been well since I took the Dirreah so bad at Council Point. While stopping at the Boxelder grove on Deercreek we were surrounded with wild currants of every kind, size, and color, and wild cherries in abundance. I ate them both cooked and raw. One day Peter Shurtz [Shirts] and a man by the name of Harns who has since been Bishop of Gunnison went up into the Black Hills some ten or twelve miles and killed a buffaloe and some antilope. And some others took two wheels of a wagon and made a cart of it and went after the meat. While coming down a steep mountain, pulling the cart with an ox team the cart run onto the oxen and broke the tongue of the cart. The men went to camp without the meat. They said the cart was about five miles from camp and that we could go to it and back before dark. It was about the middle of the afternoon. So there was five horsemen and five footmen started out without any lunch, thinking that we could be back to camp for supper. I was among the footmen. We traveled till we had gone at least ten miles. It was getting dark. We went onto a knole in the middle of a large valley. At a great distance across the valley we discovered something while on the side of the mountain and knowing that the cart had a cover onit, we concluded it must be the object of our search. But it looked more like a big rock. So we took the course and kept it as best we could in the dark and when we got there we found that we were not mistaken. We found the cart full of meat, some fresh and good and some spoiled. We found ourselves in a nice grove of pine, fur, popple (Quaking-asp) etc. Here we were without bread and the weather seemed very cold up so high in the mountains. So we built a large fire and broiled meat without salt and spent the night in eating fresh broiled meat and resting ourselves as best we could on the ground before a large fire. When daylight came I discovered that we were surrounded with service berries, the first I had ever [Text missing] From the Salt Lake Express Mail Company ROCKY MOUNTAINS, 70 Miles west of Fort Laramie, July 28th 1850. DEAR EDITOTS [EDITORS]:--Here we are encamped among the Red Hills so called, the earth nearly red as paint, caused by calcination this being the crater of some vast eruption; and we find the peaks, hills and rocks, thrown into admirable confusion by a tremendous effort of nature. We have been three days from the Fort, and have had almost constant rain, at least once in twenty-four hours if not all the time, which makes the road very heavy. Yesterday the weather was exceedingly cold, inasmuch, that a good overcoat and mittens felt well; some hard showers yesterday, and all last night. Yesterday we passed Thomas Johnson's company of fifty wagons, all in good health and teams in good order--left them five miles at the Le-Bonte. Grass was very scarce all day. We left Bishop [Aaron] Johnson's company on the 24th, near the Fort, in fine health and spirits, and teams in good order rolling along fast; and the companies behind are in like good condition and health. We are daily passing tons of Iron strewed all along the road; wagons, carriages, harnesses, saddles, trunks, chests, kegs,--every thing burnt, and the iron strewing on the plains 'tis really a sickening sight. For curiosity we throwed together in a pile, when it was near, and there was more then a wagon load, besides the tire that lie around in every direction. Friday forenoon we passed a country beautifully sprinkled over with pines; timber to-day has been scarce--only in the creeks, and that is willow. Fort Laramie is a very pretty and a growing place; with a store at hand as well filled as any you can find in the States. A number of deserters from the Fort were re-captured on Horse Creek, and we met them coming back the next morning. Our captain brought one into camp and gave him food on condition of his returning to the Fort; he said he had eaten nothing for three days, and we learn that there are more still ahead, but pursued. We saw a fine Buffalo yesterday, but did not succeed in capturing him. We have seen no Indians but a few in a village near the Fort; nor do we expect to see any soon. I must close, an opportunity offers for sending this back. More Anon. AMICUS. *Church History Library Pioneer Submission October 38, 2004 With regard to your request to add John Lambert's family to the 1850 Lorenzo Young company in the pioneer database on the Church web site: We had the Lamberts in the 1850 unidentified company category with a note that they might have traveled in the Young company. However the John Lambert 1893 statement proves that they were in the Hawkins company. If he traveled "in the company of Thomas Johnson," then he was in the Hawkins company because Johnson was a captain of fifty in that company. I am including the portion of his statement referring to his crossing the plains on our web site, too. I don't know why his daughter, Elena, stated that her father came in the Young company, but John Lambert's statement is a much more contemporaneous record. In instances when we have a conflict in documentation, we are much more apt to accept his word than the word of a daughter [Elena] who didn't actually go on the journey, but was born 13 years afterwards. * * * * * * * * All the above was copied December 2010 by Tonette Nielsen Taylor, a great-great-granddaughter of John Lambert, from my mother’s cousin’s, Venita Parry Roylance, website at *******************************************************************************

History and Rembrances of John Lambert

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

JOHN LAMBERT From: Emeline Lambert Carpenter AUNT EMELINE CARPENTER sent the following to Hilda Michie: The following is a statement my father [John Lambert] made to me [Emeline Agnes Lambert Carpenter] and I wrote it down, 24th March, 1893. I, John Lambert, was born 31 January 1820, in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England. I first heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ preached by Francis Moon, a Mormon missionary in England in the year 1837; was baptized by Francis Moon in England, 1837; emigrated in the fall of 1840 on the Sailship North America, 32 day voyage; landed in New York; took steamboat on the Hudson River 160 miles; went up to Albany, then took canal boat 350 miles to Buffalo; then by Lakes to Chicago, 1,000 miles; then went by wagon (horses I think) to Dixon's Ferry, 110 miles to Rock River; built a flatboat and sailed down Rock River to the Mississippi, about 150 miles; then down the Mississippi River to Commerce (Nauvoo). Note: He was age 20. Remained there until the spring of 1846, then went to St. Joseph by ox team; then to Jackson County by team, then visited my first wife's folks in Sugar Creek, Iowa, and visited my brother Richard in Hancock County, Illinois, then returned to Jackson County, remained there until the spring of 1850, then went to Bethlehem, north 350 miles to the Missouri River; traveled with ox team; then started for Salt Lake City, Utah, with ox team in the company of Thomas Johnson, and arrived in Salt Lake City, 11th of September 1850. Lived there 11 years in the 2nd Ward, and fenced the first lot in the Ward. Moved to Kamas, Summit County, Utah, in the spring of 1861 (but I had been there before 6 or 8 months), where I have lived since. Note: Father belonged to the Ninth Quorum of Seventy in the old Fourteenth Ward. This statement was made in my brother Joseph's house in Heber city, Utah. Mother [Eline Hansine Larsen Lambert] was sitting over by Joseph as he wrote at his writing desk, in the southwest side, and I sat by Father on the east side of the room. We were over there just after my brother Parley’s death, from typhoid pneumonia. We both had the fever. Father and Mother did some shopping at Mark Jeff's store getting ready to go to the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple in April, 1893. Mother and my sister Elizabeth made each a black cashmere dress trimmed with narrow black velvet ribbon. [Third or fourth-generation photocopy of typed manuscript transcribed to computer with minimal corrections by Stephen Kerry Wilcken, great great grandson of John Lambert, 20 September 2013, Seattle, Washington.]   JOHN LAMBERT Written March, 1952 at Duchesne, Utah, by a granddaughter, Myrtle L. Michie Wilcken, from memories – stories told by my [Myrtle’s] mother, Elena Dorothy Lambert Michie, and her [Elena’s] brother, my Uncle Joseph Lambert. He [John Lambert] met his first wife, Adelia Groesbeck, for the first time, one day as she sat under a tree reading the Book of Mormon. Later, they were married. As the story goes, Miss Groesbeck came to Nauvoo to teach school. John Lambert taught her the gospel. Grandpa was one of the “Whistling and Whittling” brigade, a group of young men who were loyal to the Prophet. In those days, when the Saints had many enemies, and (especially the leaders) enemies of the Prophet were on the lookout for a chance to take him or other leaders on a trumped-up charge, that they might have them arrested and take their lives, these young man (the Whistling and Whittling gang) were acting as spies. They appeared to be lazy fellows idling their time away just whittling and whistling. Here and there they were about town, keeping their eyes and ears open. Whenever a stranger appeared in town – if said stranger seemed suspicious, word was passed along, and the leaders were warned in time to make a retreat, go in hiding, or leave town, as seemed most necessary. Later, Grandpa became a member of the Nauvoo Legion and also one of the Prophet’s bodyguards. (The above was told to me by Joseph Lambert, eldest son of John Lambert.) As the Prophet's bodyguard, he became personally acquainted with Joseph Smith, often wrestled with him, and loved him dearly. He heard the Prophet say, “I go like a lamb to the slaughter.” I've heard my mother [Elena Dorothy Lambert Michie] say her father [John Lambert] would shed tears whenever he spoke of the Prophet. He carried with him one of the bullets taken from the body of the Prophet, after his martyrdom. Her father had in his possession a white handkerchief the Prophet had worn around his neck. Grandfather highly prized this memento. John Lambert came to Utah in 1850, in Lorenzo Young's [Thomas Johnson’s?] company. He was an Echo Canyon war veteran. On June 10, 1855, he married his second wife in Salt Lake City. Her name was Eline [Elena] Hansine [Hansena] Larsen, age 17, who had come to Utah in 1853 with her parents. Eline had the distinction of being the first person in Denmark to enter the waters of baptism. She was 12 years old at the time. Mother [Elena Dorothy Lambert Michie] tells this story: One day as her father was sitting in the house, his wife Adelia said, “John, come here, quick!" “What for?" he asked. “Come here.” she repeated. He got up and went to her side. She pointed out to the street where a young girl was walking past, and said, “There goes your wife.” This girl was the little Danish girl who was the first to become a member of our church in her native Denmark. She was my mother’s mother – my grandmother. My grandfather was given a choice of working on the Salt Lake Temple or going out to pioneer in the Kamas Valley, east of Salt Lake. As he had always had the desire to go where he could raise cattle, sheep and horses, he chose the latter. He built the house in Kamas. At first, they all lived in a fort. My mother can remember living there as a small child. Also, she remembers the first school she attended, which was held in the fort. Grandpa raised fine cattle and was a good doctor for cattle and horses. Many men came to him for help if their stock was sick. Indians came in large bands quite frequently to the Kamas Valley. The settlers obeyed the instructions of Brigham Young. “It’s better to feed them than to fight them.” Grandfather was a good friend to the Indians. They would ride up and call “O, Namba” (they couldn’t say Lambert). Usually he gave them beef, or several mutton, which they quickly killed and dressed, loaded it on pack animals or on a drag, and then departed. Mother [Elena Dorothy Lambert Michie] tells a story of how a band of Indians stole her father’s horses. He saw a dust several miles away and knowing his horses had been grazing in that direction, he got a spy glass he always kept and took a look. “Yes,” he said. “It’s Indians, and they are driving our horses away.” Hurriedly he called his oldest son, John, and told him to get two young men to help him and go after the horses. Meanwhile, the two women began immediately to bake large batches of soda biscuits and gather other articles of foodstuffs they could get in a hurry, as well as some bedding and a few articles of clothing. The boys were soon on their way. They, of course, took their guns. These two young men were Billie Gibson and Oscar Clark. Mother says she remembers her father talking to the boys and he said, “Now be very careful.” “Don’t shoot unless you have to, etc.” It must have been a time of great anxiety to the parents. Many a prayer must have been offered up on behalf of those boys. Every day Mother said her father got his spy glass and looked to see if he could discern anybody coming. Al last, after two weeks or more, he joyfully exclaimed, “Yes, I see a dust. Someone is coming!” He got his spy glass and scanned the countryside. Soon he said, “Yes, it’s the boys, and they have got the horses.” The boys looked very bad. They had traveled almost night and day. They never overtook the Indians until they got almost to the Blue Mountains across the Green River in the Uintah Basin. They were very cautious – waited until after dark, crawled up close to the Indians’ camp, made sure the Indians were asleep, then quietly took their guns away from them and forced them to stand up by a tree, then carefully went around the horses, cut them out from the band, got them started on the way very quietly, then when they remounted their own horses, they drove the other horses carefully till they got a safe distance away, then made all haste they could on the return journey. They ran out of food, but finally met a band of other Indians and traded for some dried venison. They were all so happy to get home, and all rejoiced. Mother remembers several stories her father told of happenings in Nauvoo. At one time she said a mob had gathered to take the Prophet Joseph. Her father said he saw an old gray-headed man guarding the Prophet. He passed right through the mob of men and was not molested. Mother has a picture she prizes very much. It’s a picture of the Prophet Joseph and his brother Hyrum dressed in uniform of the Nauvoo Legion, of which Grandfather was a member. The Prophet is standing on a platform of a building, with a sword in his hand, as he gave the last public address of his life. Mother said her father never had an opportunity of attending school. His [John Lambert’s] father died when he was five years old. While yet very young, Grandfather worked in a factory to help support the family. For that reason, he was a poor reader (but you could not beat him at figures), so liked his wife, my grandmother, to read to him often. Especially, he liked to hear her read the Bible or Book of Mormon. Grandpa was a member of the Ninth Quorum of Seventy in the old Fourteenth Ward at Kamas. He never took much of an active part in Ward organization, for he felt the lack of an education; but if any work needed to be done, like building a schoolhouse, meetinghouse, or a bridge, he was right there doing all he could to help in a temporal way. He was the first one out to make trails or break roads after a snowstorm. Grandfather kept both cattle and sheep, and there was always plenty of work to do, as he farmed the land, too. He had a fine team of horses, as well as a nice ox team. Mother said her father had a team of the largest horses she ever saw. The team’s harness sported two strings of bills, which to her were the largest, and the nicest-sounding bells she ever listened to. They could be heard three miles away. She remembers when she was a small child of going to Peoa, with her father and mother, and joining the settlers there in building a fort as a protection against the Indians. Before long, they asked Brigham Young if it would be alright if they moved back to Kamas. He said, “Yes. If you will build a fort to live in there.” So they did. Mother could name everyone who lived there. She went to her first school in the Kamas fort. Mother said she recalled when her brother Joseph and his older half-brother, Richard, drove a bunch of pigs from Salt Lake to Kamas. Mother says her father was very strict with his children and demanded obedience. She says she is thankful for that. He was a man of honesty, integrity and industry; a man who kept his word, lived a clean life, never swore or profaned. Mother says her mother had twelve children, seven girls and five boys. Three of the girls died in infancy. Grandfather’s first wife, Adelia, bore him nine or more children. Grandfather John Lambert's children by my grandmother Eline Hansine Larsen Lambert are: Joseph Heber, Ephraim, Dan, Elena Dorothy, Mary Elizabeth, Sarah Christen, Rebecca Cornelia, John Benjamin, Laura Amanda, Parley William, Emeline Agnes, and Alice Adelia. Sarah Christina, Laura Amanda and Alice Adelia died in childhood. Children of Grandpa Lambert by his first wife, Adelia, are: Martha Adelaide – Aunt Addie we called her. She married Riley [?] Green, lived in Vernal, pioneers. John Carlos – Married Levis [?] Anderson. Mary Adelia – Married Billie Gibson (William), lived in Vernal, pioneers. Sarah Amelia – Married Sylas [?] Pack. Richard Franklin – Jedediah Grant – “Jeddie,” married Alice Merrick. Name may be spelled incorrectly. He was called “Jed.” Ann Maria – Married Adolphus [?] White. Emma Cordelia – Married Don [?] Pack. Mercy Harriet – Married David [?, or Dannie?] Lewis. John Benjamin died when yet quite young -- left a wife and three or four small children. Parley died when only 16 years of age, of typhoid fever and pneumonia. All the rest raised large families. All Grandfather Lambert’s family were good Latter-day Saint people. Two sons filled missions. Joseph Heber filled a mission in Holland. Dan filled a mission in the States. These two were later bishops of wards and stake workers. Ephraim was Bishop for years. Later he was a member of the stake presidency, and finally he was ordained a stake patriarch. The daughters were all faithful members of the church. They all raised large families and were workers in Relief Society and other auxiliary organizations. As I write this in March, 1952, only two of the family are still living – my mother Elena D. Michie, the oldest daughter, who lives in Provo and who will be 90 years old next April 9; and the youngest, Emeline Carpenter, who lives in Park City, Utah. My grandfather John Lambert died when I was five years of age, on 25 November, 1893, at Kamas, and was buried in the Kamas Cemetery. My mother tells of this incident. She had heard her father say that when he died he wanted the Prophet Joseph to come and accompany him to the spirit world. She said her brother Dan and her sister Emeline sat up with their father this night. Emeline had just gone to the kitchen, and Dan was sitting on a chair next to the wall at the foot of the bed, and he looked up and saw the Prophet standing by the head of the bed. Knowing his father's wish, Dan pulled out his watch to see what time it was. When he looked up, the Prophet was gone. He walked to the head of the bed, and his father had passed away. Emeline then appeared at the kitchen door. He motioned for her to come. She found her father was dead. Then Dan told her what he had seen. They knew the desire of their father had been granted. I asked Aunt Emeline one time if this was true. “Yes,” she said. “I was there. Dan told me what he had seen, and father had passed away. I know this to be true.” [Original longhand manuscript typed December 14, 1960, by Goldie G. Wilcken, Duchesne, Utah. Third or fourth-generation photocopy of typed manuscript transcribed to computer with minimal corrections by Stephen Kerry Wilcken, great great grandson of John Lambert, 20 September 2013, Seattle, Washington.]

John Lambert and His Family

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

The following is a brief history of John Lambert and his family read by J. Carlos Lambert Jr. at a Lambert reunion held in Liberty Park, Salt Lake City, Utah on June 13, 1932. This history was contained in family possessions handed down from Emeline A. Lambert, a daughter of John Lambert, to myself Loren Richards Jorgenson, a great grandson. If you will look in the dictionary you will learn that the name Lambert means: "Illustrous with landed possessions, or a keeper of sheep or lambs," and, carried a little farther, I presume , a keeper of livestock- a farmer, in other words, but of the higher type. Not a tenant but a landlord. So far as we are informed, the descendants of our revered progenitor, John Lambert, whose memory we are today commemorating, are pretty largely tillers of the soil. My father told me that grandfather Lambert told him that his father and grandfather, who, lived in Yorkshire, England, were in the habit of going to Scotland each fall and bringing back a herd of black cattle (presumably of the Galloway and Angus breeds), fattening them on oil cake and then driving them to London for market. So by name and by practice the Lamberts are farmers. I think that today, perhaps, we of this family line do not claim to be illustrious with landed or livestock We are told by our kinsfolk, the descendants of Charles Lambert, known to us as the Salt Lake City Lamberts, that all the Lamberts of Yorkshire, England, were of a common stock and that they traced their ancestry back to one Sir Rudolphus Lambert, an uncle of William the Conqueror, who came to England from Normandy in 1066 A.D. this man, Rudolphus Lambert was allotted an estate in Yorkshire. Are there any famous men among our ancestor? Look in the back of the big dictionary and you will see the name of Daniel Lambert, huge Englishman, weighed 739 pounds. Grandfather Lambert said that this man was a member of our family and that when he died it was impossible to get him out of the door. The side of the cabin was taken out in order to get him out. This is the only famous Lambert that I know anything about. The rest of us are common people, "the kind the Lord loves", concludes Lincoln, because He made so many of them." I have heard it said that the most ancient family of Lamberts yet discovered was a family of German barbarians who settled in Italy about the time of the fall of Rome. They were robbers. May we not warn those zealous climbers up the family tree to beware lest a cocoanut fall on their head. John Lambert, the head of this family, was born in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England, on January 31, 1820. It is a significant fact to note that Charles Lambert, the progenitor of the Salt Lake City Lamberts was born in Yorkshire, England, August 30, 1816. You see that he was from the county in England and only 31/2 years older. John Lambert first heard this Latter Day gospel preached by Elder Frances Moon in 1837 and was baptized in October of the same year. In 1840 John Lambert emigrated with his brother to America, coming on the sailing vessel "North America" and spending thirty one days on the water, landing at New York, they took a steamboat up the Hudson to Albany where they transferred to a flat, horse drawn boat on the Erie Canal, which took them to Buffalo, New York. I recall my father, John C. Lambert, telling me that Grandfather told him that the boat on the canal traveled so slowly that they had time to explore the countryside where they found an abundance of wild apples, which they relished. From Buffalo these Lambert brothers, Richard and John, sailed the lakes to Chicago. From Chicago they traveled by wagon and horses to a point on Rock river where they built a flat boat in which they floated down the Rock River and the Mississippi, arriving at Nauvoo, Illinois, sometime in the fall of 1840. For ten years John Lambert lived with the Mormons in Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. He was a member of the Nauvoo Legion. He wrestled, he jumped, he soldiered with Joseph Smith. This close association with the great leader, Joseph Smith, was an important period of training in the life of our esteemed progenitor. It is interesting to note here that John Lambert was about the same size and built as Joseph Smith, though fourteen years younger than the prophet. Richard, the older brother, remained in Illinois. He became a leader in the Reorganized Church and his grandson, Walter W. Head, whose mother was Mary, is an eminent banker and President of the Boy Scouts of America. He lives in Chicago. John Lambert married Miss Adelia G. Groesbeck, an intellectual woman of Dutch descent, at Sugar Creek, Iowa, on February 6, 1846. Two children, Adelaide and John Carlos, were born to them before they emigrated to Utah in the fall of 1850. They settled in the Second Ward in Salt Lake City and built a fence around the first lot in the ward. This lot was located at 7th south and 4th east. At this place the following children were born: Mary Adelia, Sarah Amelia, Richard Franklin, Jedediah Grant, and Anna Maria. In 1855 at Salt Lake City, John Lambert married Miss Elena Hansena Larsen, a Danish girl (and by the way, first to be baptized in Denmark). The following children were born to this woman in the Salt Lake Home: Joseph Heber, Ephriaim, and Dan. Grandfather's mother and a younger brother also came to Utah. His mother was buried in Wellsville and the brother died young in Salt Lake City. John Lambert spent almost eleven years in Salt Lake City, during which time, among other vocations, he farmed a ten acre tract south of the city and worked as a mason on the Salt Lake Temple. It is said that Brigham Young offered him the lot where the Salt Lake Theatre was later built if he would continue to work on the Temple, but grandfather did not like the bosses under whom he was expected to work, so he declined. He had a chance to acquire the land where the Gilmer Park now is, but instead he, with his two wives, and their families, moved to Kamas in the spring of 1861 where Emma Cordelia and Mercy were born to Adelia, the first wife, and Elena, Elizabeth, Cornelia, Benjamin, Parley and Emmeline were born to Hansena, the second wife. From Kamas, Utah, the descendants of John Lambert have pioneered Uinta, Wasatch and Duchesne counties. His posterity now numbers 523 souls. I was hardly six years old when grandfather died but I remember vividly some incidents. When Alma Warr's new Rock store was completed grandfather hitched Dime and Sid, his old team to a wagon, took my brother Roy and myself into the spring seat and drove to the store where he bought us some stick candy. In giving it to us he said, "Now suck it, don't chew it", I remember seeing him hide in our coal house when he thought the U.S. Marshall was after him. John Lambert, great pioneer and patriarch, died at Kamas, Utah, November 25, 1893. Read by J. Carlos Lambert at Lambert reunion held in Liberty Park, Salt Lake City, Utah June 13, 1932.

John C. Lambert- A Brief History

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Preface: The following history was in the possession of Emeline Lambert, my great grandmother which was passed down to me by my grandmother, Pearl LaRue Carpenter. The history is dated at Holladay, Utah, January 25, 1942 and signed by J. Carlos Lambert, son of John C. Lambert. John C. Lambert, familiarly known all his life as "Johnny", was born in Kansas City, Missouri, on Sept. 20, 1849. He was the second child of John Lambert and Adelaide Groesbeck. The first child Martha Adelaide was born on Feb. 24, 1847 at St. Joseph, Missouri. John Lambert the father was born in Gargrave, Yorkshire, England, on January 31, 1820. His paternal ancestors, we have reason to assume came to England from Normandy at the time of the Norman conquest in 1066 A.D. John Lambert came to America in 1840 as a convert to the Mormon church and settled in Nauvoo, Illinois. His mother and his brothers and sisters also came to Illinois. John stood six feet and weighed over 200 pounds. Adelaide Grossbeck, the mother was born at Farmington in Trumbull County, Ohio, on April 14, 1822. She likewise joined the Mormon faith. The Grossbecks were all small people physically, refined, gentle and intellectual. Adalaide Grossbeck weighed about 120 pounds When eight years of age the captain of a boat on Lake Erie had her read the Bible to the passengers. John Lambert was gruff, lacked schooling and was plain spoken, honest to a fault, and morally courageous. This mighty man and this gentle women were married at Nauvoo, Illinois, on February 6, 1846 by James Smithies, just two days after the first wagons left Nauvoo for their forced exodus to the west. The couple went first to Sugar Creek, Iowa. Sugar Creek, Iowa was the place where the Saints gathered after being expelled from Nauvoo. There were hardships and suffering and privation at this place at this time. From Sugar Creek, Iowa, this couple found their way first to St. Joseph and then to Kansas City, where the subject of our sketch was born in 1849. We next hear of them at Council Bluffs, Iowa, where they left on an emigrant train in the summer of 1850 for Utah arriving some records say on September 9th, 1850. Other records say the 10th, the 11th, and 12th. The records state that John Lambert was an importer of sheep and cattle. The family settled near 5th East and 7th South in Salt Lake City and remained there until the spring of 1861 when the family pioneered and settled in the Kamas Valley in Summit County building the first house on the Kamas town site. Johnny, now eleven years old did a man's job in the moving to Kamas. he drove a team of oxen all the way. He stated once that he had had only three months schooling in his life, yet considering the times and the place and the circumstances he became a fairly well educated man. He had in his possession a Webster's unabridged dictionary which had written on the fly leaf "John C. Lambert's book bought in Salt Lake City in 1867", price $11.00. there were many other books in his library bought about this time. Among them "Willson's Fifth Reader" which was bought in Salt Lake City on Sept. 2, 1867" as recorded on the fly leaf. Johnny's mother must have been the educational beacon in his life as she taught school in Kamas at one time. The year that John Lambert was 20 years old he taught school in Kamas. It is interesting to note here that one of his pupils at this time was a little 9 year old girl, Olivia Francis Anderson who later became the wife of John C. Lambert. During his teens and early manhood "Johnny" hauled wood from Lamb's canyon, a tributary of Parley's Canyon, into Salt Lake City and sold it in order to help feed and cloth his father's family. His father at this time had two wives and a total of 18 children. So the going must have been hard in those days. Johnny contributed mightily to the support of his brothers and sisters and all evidence shows that he was respected and honored and held in high esteem by them all. Johnny also trapped beaver in Beaver Creek and other streams adjacent to Kamas Valley. The sale of these furs helped to care for the family. In the 1860's and 1870's the Indians would raid the settlers and drove away their horses. John Lambert was scanning the Valley with his spy glass one day when he saw a band of the Indians gathering up the horses belonging to the settlers and attempting to drive them off. The young men were hurriedly called together and three of them John C. Lambert, Wm. Gibson and a Clark boy were sent in pursuit. Nothing was heard from the boys for two weeks. All the townsfolk were fearful that the boys would not return. John Lambert the father would scan the horizon constantly with his spy glass. Finally they returned unhurt with the horses. Other long and perilous trips were taken in pursuit of Indians. John C. Lambert was a Blackhawk Indian War Veteran but he was denied a pension because the muster role was lost. Sometime in the 70's John C. Lambert homesteaded 160 acres 1 1/2 miles southwest of Kamas. He built a worm and pole fence all around this property, going into the canyons with ox teams to haul out the poles. Some of the poles could be called logs. They were six and eight inches in diameter. He grubbed the sage off of this land and hauled the surface rocks and piled them in corners of the field. The water was turned onto the land and native grasses grew in abundance. Timothy, redtop, and clover were planted later. The ridges were plowed and oats, wheat and barley were grown. He also built a two room house, dug a well, a cellar and built also a large barn, which would hold 40 tons of hay and stable 20 horses and cows. The lumber used in the construction of these buildings was sawed in an old up-and-down saw mill constructed by John C. Lambert and his brothers. On Feb. 23, 1882 John C. Lambert married Margaret Ann Woodard in the Endowment House in Salt lake City. His wife died the following Jan. 6, 1883 from complications resulting from childbirth. The child died also. On April 14, 1886 John C. Lambert married Olivia Francis Anderson in the Logan, Temple. The following children were born to this union: John Carlos- born- Feb. 12, 1887. Roy Grant- born- Apr. 18, 1888. Olive Alberta- born- Feb. 2, 1890. Alfred William- born- March 22, 1892. Harold Alma- born- June 18, 1894. Parley Henry- born- March 27, 1896. Lorraine- born- April 27, 1900. In the summer of 1889, John C. Lambert moved his family consisting of his wife and two boys to the Kamas town site settling on the northwest corner of the block on which his father lived. Twenty yoke of oxen were used to haul the house from the homestead to the town. As finances permitted, the subject of this sketch added to and remodeled his house so that by 1902, the house consisted of nine rooms. Public Interests: John C. Lambert was a student of public affairs. During his lifetime he served his community as Justice of Peace, School trustee, Notary Public, first Mayor of Kamas, County Commissioner, and County Road Commissioner. He was a life long member of the L.D.S. church. However, he was not aggressively active. But he was "true blue and a yard wide". John C. hated hypocrisy and he had the courage of his convictions. He was quick to detect sham and deceit and did not hesitate to criticize this sham in others. The outstanding characteristic of John C. lambert was honesty and moral courage and loyalty to his convictions. He was sensitive and humble and never sought public acclaim. He believed that the office should seek the man and not the man the office. Vocational Activities: John C. Lambert was a pioneer in the truest sense of the word. Born in the pioneer days of the State of Missouri he crossed the plains in infancy and settled in Salt Lake City just three after Brigham Young. He lived in a one room house when a child, fought Indians, when a young man, built bridges, dug canals, built saw mills, grist mills, herded cattle, worked in many camps. A Home Man: From the time he was 11 years old until his death, John C. lived in Kamas. One winter he herded cattle in Castle Valley, Emery County. Another winter he drove a team from Alta in Little Cottonwood Canyon to Sandy hauling ore. He made but three trips out of the State: 1. He went to Mexico with his brother Dan with a view of colonization about 1894. 2. He went to Denver in 1892 to get a Clydesdale Stallion. 3. He made a trip to La Grande and Portland, Oregon, to visit his brother Jedediah about 1906. Education and Ideals: John C. Lambert was interested in education and he did all in his power to send his kids to school. When the first five of his children were ready for High School it was necessary to send them away from home. Carlos, Roy, Olive, Harold, and Parley attended Brigham Young University at Provo. Alfred spent one year at the U.A.C. at Logan. Carlos and Harold were also students at the State College in Logan. Lorraine attended the L.D.S. Business College and took nursing at the L.D.S. Hospital after finishing High School in Metropolis, Nevada. John C. Lambert was a 'well posted Man." He was a keen student of Government and spent considerable time studying law. He borrowed Blackstone and other Law books from W.I. Snyder, a lawyer in Park City and he had a law dictionary. At one time he was heard to say, "I think I'll go back to the University of Michigan and study law". "Why don't you go?", said his interrogator, "I can't, I'm afraid I am too old and besides I must take care of this family". At one time he was the only subscriber to a daily paper in Kamas. Health and Physical Endurance: The subject of our sketch went through many grueling experiences. The Kamas climate is rigorous and severe. In early days men did not care for their bodies as they do today. Men would work all day in wet clothes. In the winter the winter these clothes would freeze on their bodies. At about 50 John C. developed kidney trouble. Probably he had been suffering from this affliction long before. He stated that when a young man he was kicked on the back over one of the kidneys by an ox. This kidney wasted away and the poisons filled his body and was the cause of his death which occurred at Kamas, Utah on June 29, 1912. His wife Olivia survived until June 21, 1940 when she died at Kamas in the home of her daughter Lorraine Zieve from causes incident to age. Alfred W. Lambert the fourth child died in May 1938, at Kamas from a heart attack. Six children still survive: Carlos has seven children and six grandchildren. Roy has seven children and three grandchildren. Olive has three children and five grandchildren. Harold has three children. Parley has four children and two grandchildren. Lorraine has three children. In 1892 Joseph H. Lambert, a brother of John C. who was returning from a mission to Holland brought three Dutch boys with him. He left one Herman Westbrook with John C. Lambert. This boy remained with the family until he was grown. At the present time Herman lives in Ogden. Dated at Holladay, Utah, January 25, 1942 Signed: J. Carlos Lambert

Excerpt taken from Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel on LDS.ORG

Contributor: sjwilk2001 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

visited my brother, Richard, in Hancock County, Illinois, returned to Jackson County, remained there until in the spring of 1850. Then went to Bethleham, north 350 miles, to the Missouri River, traveled with ox team. Then started for Salt Lake City, Utah, with ox team in the company of Thomas Johnson. arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah, 11 Sep 1850.

Life timeline of John Lambert

John Lambert was born on 31 Jan 1820
John Lambert was 12 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
John Lambert was 20 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
John Lambert was 40 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
John Lambert was 41 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
John Lambert was 58 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
John Lambert was 69 years old when The Eiffel Tower is officially opened. The Eiffel Tower is a wrought iron lattice tower on the Champ de Mars in Paris, France. It is named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.
John Lambert died on 25 Nov 1893 at the age of 73
Grave record for John Lambert (31 Jan 1820 - 25 Nov 1893), BillionGraves Record 1377569 Francis, Summit, Utah, United States