John Ellison Obituary
Contributor: Hadizoo Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
John Ellison dead.
John Ellison father of the well known layton business man E P Ellison died at his home in kaysville wednesday evening, Sept 9th, of old age. He was over eighty-five years old having having been born may 23, 1818. Lancashire England is the land of his birth.
He joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and afterwards married Alice Pilling. Then emigrated to Nauvoo and then to St Louis. They lived six years in the latter place. Then moved to Salt Lake City where they arrived in 1852. In 1853 they moved to Kaysville which has been his home since.
He was the father of seven children four of whom survive him.
For many years he was the second counselor to stake superintendent of sunday schools N T Porter. He also held some civil offices, serving as county selectman and local justice of the peace. For many years, he was secretary of the farmers union.
The funeral services were held at the Kaysville meeting house sunday at 3 p. m. Dr James E Talmage and Apostle John Henry Smith were up from the city and spoke.
Biography of John Ellison
Contributor: Hadizoo Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
(From Susannah Ellison Robins – Daughter, updated from an article titled, “St. Louis and the Nauvoo Exodus: The Experience of the John Ellison Family” by William G. Hartley)
John Ellison was born May 23, 1818. He was the eldest son of Matthew Ellison and Jane Wilson of Bashall Eaves, Yorkshire, England. His parents later moved to Waddington near Clitheroe, and he grew up in this vicinity.
He was a very thrifty man who learned to work at a very young age on his father’s farm.
He went to school when he as about 10 years old and remained until he was about 15 years of age when he quit school to help his parents on their rented farm; driving the team, plowing, sowing etc. That was a very good education for a country boy.
When he was 20, he heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ preached by Joseph Fielding and Heber C. Kimball. He was converted and then baptized on January 6, 1838. He was ordained a Teacher the 13th of Jan. In April 1838, as a Priest and ordained an Elder in 1839. After his conversion, he traveled around the area close by his house preaching the Gospel for three years.
At the age of 23, he married Alice Pilling, the daughter of John and Peggy (Banks) Pilling, on the 4th of February 1841. Twelve days later they left for Liverpool to come to America along with his sister Ann Ellison. They traveled by railway, through the city of Preston, to Liverpool.
The next day they started for America on the 16th of Feb 1841 on the Ship “Echo”. Daniel Browett was in charge of the company and they set sail for New Orleans and arrived after a voyage of 8 weeks and 1 day.
They came up the Mississippi River by steam boat to New Orleans, and then took another steamer on to Nauvoo. It took 3 weeks.
Once in Nauvoo, John worked for Squire Wells and others. He also worked on the temple as a mason tender from the time it was started in 1841 until its completion in 1846. Each of the Saints gave a tenth of his income or worked every tenth day on the Temple.
On August 11, 1842, their first child, Margaret Jane Ellison was born. Margaret was a healthy, strong baby and such a blessing to them.
On June 20, 1843, John purchased of Samuel and Prudence Miles, for $100.00 a lot in the Kimball addition to Nauvoo on which he built a log cabin. He later bought a lot at the northwest corner of block 119 in Nauvoo proper at Hyde and Munson Streets across from Heber C. Kimball’s home. He was a member of the Nauvoo 3rd Ward.
John’s parents and eight siblings arrived from England that year and
his father Matthew bought land nine miles east of Nauvoo in Rock Creek Township and farmed on 80 acres there.
The prophet Joseph Smith was murdered in Carthage Jail on June 27, 1844, and the troubles between the Saints and the other settlers only increased. Although enemies of the church assumed the church would fall apart following the death of the Prophet Joseph, that’s not what happened. Under the direction of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the church continued on, and the people with renewed energy labored to finish the Temple. John was ordained a Seventy in the 14th Quorum on December 22, 1844.
Their second child, John Ammon Ellison was born on April 22, 1845.
Finally in January of 1846 enough of the Temple was completed to begin doing ordinance work in it. Worthy Latter Day Saints rushed to get their endowments as the violence and chaos escalated around them. On 30, January 1846, John and Alice Ellison’s dreams were realized when they were endowed in the Nauvoo Temple.
The enemies of the church were becoming increasingly intolerant of the Mormon presence and threats were raging, especially against church leaders, so in late February of 1846, the first wave of Saints, some two to three thousand, led by Brigham Young, left the City Beautiful and their beloved Temple and crossed the Mississippi River heading west into Iowa. This advance company was followed by the main migration (some 10,000 Saints) from Nauvoo in April, May and June leaving only those few who didn’t have means to travel, or for poor health or family connections couldn’t leave at that time. Due to John’s very poor health, they remained behind in the almost deserted city through the summer.
A family story tells about Alice Ellison during those dangerous days. When mobbers tried to take Alice’s cow, the story says, she armed herself with a long hickory stick that was about as hard as iron. “If you take my cow, I’ll use this on you”, she warned. She knew how much her young family needed that cow. The mob leader ordered: “Stand aside, men. A woman who has that much courage, let her take her cow”.
Finally in September, the anti-Mormon vigilantes, impatient for all the Saints to be out, attacked the city in what became known as the Battle of Nauvoo. John was very ill, and was unable to defend his family. Late at night his father stole into the city and secreted the family in his wagon and took them to safety on his farm in Rock Creek Township some nine miles away
The outnumbered Mormon defenders finally surrendered the city and the vigilantes pillaged, bullied, and finally forced the last Mormon residents out, setting fire to the new Temple in the process
Matthew insisted that John and his family stay with them on the farm until he recovered. John became delirious from the bilious fever, which wracked his body for about thirteen weeks.
Finally recovered, on November 3, 1846, John sold his house and lands to Peter Poincin for half what they were worth and moved to St. Louis, Missouri to try to find work. He obtained worked in the Union Printing Office.
While in St. Louis their baby, John Ammon died on August 15, 1847 from illness. There were many epidemic summer complaints in the cities at that time taking a devastating toll on the infant population. They had two more little boys during that period. David Samuel was born on March 2, 1848, and died July 26, 1849, and Ephraim Peter was born on June 10, 1850.
In the spring of 1850 John sent to Illinois and bought two cows and two yoke of oxen. He sent a wagon, plow and other tools useful in opening up a new country by steamboat with his wife’s uncle Michael Pilling on ahead to Winter Quarters. Winter Quarters was a temporary abode for the Mormons, on the present site of Florence, Nebraska, four or five miles above Omaha on the Missouri River. Here the Saints gathered, organized and fitted out companies to make the long trek across the plains to Utah.
Early in the spring of 1851 John Ellison, his wife and two small children, Margaret, then 9 years old and Ephraim, not quite a year, left St. Louis by steamboat for Winter Quarters, expecting to make the journey to Salt Lake City the same season. Heavy floods on the Missouri detained them at St. Joseph for three weeks. The river was so high and there was so much driftwood, even logs and large trees floating down, that it was unsafe for boats to make the trip. When they at last left St. Joseph, they boarded an open ferry. The trip required ten days and it rained every day, so they were wet nearly all of the time. On arriving at Winter Quarters, they found that the last company for Utah had been gone for two weeks, and another would not be formed that season. So they had to make the best of their surroundings and stay another year.
His wife’s relatives were there, and his outfit and livestock had arrived, and the teams and two cows helped materially with the living. He rented a piece of ground, put in a crop of corn and potatoes, secured logs and built a cabin. He bought two pigs and they had a good living for those times.
On the 11th of June the following year they started for Utah with Captain Howell’s Company. Theirs was the second company to go that season. Each company consisted of a hundred wagons, and there were captains over each hundred, fifty and ten. John Ellison was one of the Captains of Tens. Heavy articles of household furniture and implements were loaded into the wagons. Clothing, bedding, utensils and even small children were pushed in hand carts. Although John had a wagon, his wife let another person who was ill and unable to walk, ride in her place and she walked the whole distance to Salt Lake City, and baby Ephraim rode in the hand cart.
John Ellison kept a diary of his journey and tells of the many hardships the company endured, walking through rain, mud, sand and heat, of women, children and livestock dying along the way. On Sundays they held religious services. On September 13th, after traveling 99 days they arrived in Salt Lake City.
The next day he went with President Heber C. Kimball to his farm on the Jordan river which he rented, moving his family in the following day. Their first home here was a small adobe house. The next spring he planted 35 acres of wheat, but the Jordan river overflowed destroying most of it. Here their fifth child, Matthew was born on March 25, 1853.
In October of 1853 John Ellison and his family moved to a farm of their own in Kaysville, Davis County, Utah. While in Kaysville they had five more children. Susannah was born 28 Mar 1855; Elijah, born 1 Aug 1857; Mary born 29 Oct 1859; Sarah, born 23 Jan 1862 and Joseph Heber (named for the two missionaries that had taught John the Gospel back in England) born 12 May 1864. They lived there in Kaysville the rest of their lives. They went through many pioneer hardships, drought, flood, and plagues of grasshoppers. He once saved the only crop of oats in the community by building bonfires of sage brush around three sides of the field and hired men, women, and children to beat the grasshoppers and drive them into the fire.
In Jan 1863 they lost their young daughter Sarah at the age of one year. Alice was boiling milk for their supper on an old cookstove that was propped up on one corner with a stick of firewood. Sarah fell against the stove, causing it to tip and was fatally scalded by the hot milk.
John made several trips to visit his mother and brothers in Illinois, and on one visit a family group picture was taken of the seven living brothers and sisters.
Brigham Young gave him a call to gather up the church sheep from different Bishops from Cache County to Sanpete County. Bishop Layton and he took them to Cove Creek after cleaning them for “scab”. They were very successful. He turned the sheep over to William Haigh and his step-father Brother Harker and returned home in the fall of 1876.
When Davis Stake was organized he was called as a high councilman, and traveled as the 2nd assistant to the Stake Sunday School for 16 years.
He was then made a Patriarch.
His wife Alice Pilling died Nov 8, 1886 after 45 years of marriage. After her death, he lived with his plural wife Mary A. Kidd, daughter of J. Kidd and Jane Ingham. They had been married 16 years previous. She died the 18th of March, 1890. That left him alone in the world.
After some time he married his 3rd wife, on 20 May 1896, Grace.
He said, “I am in my 82nd year and I say old age is creeping on me. And after an experience of 62 years in the church I have not had my faith shaken in this work. I do know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the Lord, and instrumental in the hands of the Lord in bringing about this kingdom that is set upon the earth.”
Testimony of John Ellison, who remained true to the faith to the end of his days. John Ellison died September 9, 1903. Both he and his wife were laid to rest in the Kaysville-Layton Cemetary.
HISTORY OF JOHN HENRY TAYLOR
Contributor: Hadizoo Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
John Henry Taylor, was born to William Riley Taylor and Margaret Jane Ellison, at Kayesville, Davis County, Utah, 4th January 1861. Johns, Father, William Riley Taylor, came to the great Salt Lake Valley , in his tenth year, with his father, Allen Taylor, Allen being captain of the Allen Taylor Company of the saints. This company arrived in the Valley on the 15th of October 1849. The family first settled at the mouth of Mill Creek Canyon and in 1850, the family moved to Kayesville, Utah
Sept. 27, 1857, in his 18th year, William Riley Taylor married Margaret Jane Ellison, daughter of John Ellison and Alice Pilling, Pioneers of 1852. On the 19th April 1859, Margaret gave birth to their first child, a son, William Allen, and on the 4th of January 1861, John Henry was born to this young couple.
In the spring of 1862, Allen Taylor was called by President Brigham Young, to go south and help settle the Dixie Country, with the privilege to call and take his married sons and daughters with him. So on the 20th of May 1862, the Allen Taylor family again left their homes in Weber and Davis Counties, settling at New Harmony, Washington County, arriving there on the 12th of July 1862..
Some of the incidents and events of John's life while growing up are many as is common to all in pioneering wild territory. On one instance, John and his older brother, Willie as he was called, were watching their father plow the field, getting ready for planting. John, pushing his hands down deep into the pockets of his jeans, twisted himself around and said: "Haint them bully horses Wooly?" At one time, Johns' father was going out to look for horses on the mountain. John wanted to go very much, so his mother fixed a lunch and tied it in a cloth and to the saddle. As they rode along through the trees, they lost the lunch, the first time, John's father helped find it but the second time they lost the lunch, His father sent John back to look for it and told him to sit on a big log by the side of the road and wait for this father to come back that way for the boy. John, not finding the lunch and fearing his father had forgotten him, started up the road. He stubbed his big toe on a rock, it knocked the nail off. He found a big dry tree that had fallen, he climbed as high up as he could, "So a big Bear couldn't get him."
When John was about fourteen years old, he went with his grandfather, Allen Taylor, to help make up his molasses. Young John had been away from home about three weeks and was very home sick. His grandfather told him that he couldn't leave his work to take John home for another week. John was homesick and said he was going home, a distance of thirty five miles. The boy started out on foot. At night he stayed with an old couple who knew John's grandfather. They were very nice and made John as comfortable as they would have one of their own. The next morning, as soon as it was light, the young boy was up. (he slept with his boots on.) The old lady wanted to fix him some breakfast but he said "No thank you, I will go" He had walked about an hour when an Indian boy came along in a wagon and gave John a ride. He arrived home just as his father and brothers were going to the fields to work. He was a very happy lad to be home again. He was always a great home body, even after he was married, he always wanted to be home.
Nine of William Rileys and Margarets children were born in New Harmony, one in Ogden, one is Kaysville and three were born in Fremont Wayne County.
The Taylor Families were released from their mission in the Dixie Country and after nineteen years in Dixie, they moved their families into more desolate country to pioneer and help develope. John was in the twenth year when the family moved from Dixie into the Wayne County area.
It was a short time after these families had arrive in Wayne County, that young John meet and married August Elizabeth Stevens, daughter of Henry Stevens and Augusta Dorius. John and Augusta were married on May 15th 1883 and on the 2nd of January 1884, they went to the Manti Temple and were sealed to each other for time and eternity.
During their early life, young John was loading his gun and it discharged, shooting the thumb of his right hand off. He had lost a considerable amount of blood and was in serious condition, before they could get him to a doctor. A short time later in a church gathering, one of the brothern was giving the prayer. In the prayer he asked a blessing for "John Taylor, he said". "I don't mean President John Taylor, I mean on Thumb John Taylor. On the 7th of February 1884, Augusta gave birth to a pair of twins, a boy William Henry and Margaret Augusta. In due time these young people and more babies come to their home. Crilla Janet, 16th May 1886, Laura Alice, 8th April 1888, James Eldon 8th May 1890, (James Eldon only lived one year, dying on the 29th May 1891 and was buried in the Fremont Wayne Cemetary). Their last child, Mary Jane was born the 15th October 1892. All these babies were born in Fremont. During these years and the few short years to follow, John and Augusta went through the many hardships of pioneer life, but they were always faithful and God fearing people and taught their children the best they could under the handy caps that existed during these early years. It was in 1893 and 1894 years of the great Diptheria epedemic struck many communities in the country and Wayne county wan't and different. In the spring of 1894, the dreaded disease hit John's little family and on the 7th of May 1894, the young wife and mother died. On the 10th of the same month 1894, just three days after the mother died, little Mary Jane died. five days later, on the 15th of May 1894, Margaret Augusta passed away. Thus the young father lost his young wife and two children with a weeks time, leaving three young motherless children for John to care for. Under these trying conditions, it would be hard to believe that the Saints could remain true and faithful to their convictions and still have a testimony of the gospel. John did remain faithful and some two years later he meet and married Allie Young, daughter of Franklin Wheeler Young and Nancy Leonora Greene, on the 24th of June 1896 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a big step for both young people. Allie had been married to James Tickner Woods and she had a baby daughter to care form along with John's young children. There were many responsibilities and many hardships to endure. After this marriage, these young people made their home in Fremont, Wayne County, located four miles north of Loa, Utah. Here five of their eight children were born. John Moroni, 28th June 1897, Nancy, 1st August 1898, and only lived a few hours, she was buried in Fremont Cemetary. Aroet Franklin, 4th Feb. 1900, Lorenzo Independence, 19th April 1901, Eva Vivian 15 Sept. 1902. After the birth of Eva, the family moved to Huntington, Emery County, to make their home. After arriving in their new home Alma Ellison was born on the 3rd of January 1904, Orissia Susannah, 27th Sept., 1905, and Leonora Jane 25th Sept., 1907.
Crilla, his daughter from his first wife, Augusta, died from child birth, in 1909 in Huntington, Utah.
The home in Huntington was a two story house made of sawed logs. One room up stairs and one room down stairs with a lean too on the west for a kitchen. The boys slept up stairs. There were a big row of shade trees on the south side of the house, the water used was from a ditch about one hundred yards from the house. There was a row of shade trees on the north of the ditch. The orchard was south of this ditch, and there was a good variety of fruit trees that furnished the family with all the fruit need for bottling. North of the house was a big pond used for storing water. There was a barn west of the house where they stored hay for the livestock. A couple of years after moveing to Huntington, John took his family back to Fremont, and bought some cattle and sheep and the three oldest boys, John M, Aroet, and Ren, drove the cattle eighty five miles back to Huntington. Allie helped to drive the team and wagons and John helped the boys. A few years after moving to Huntington, the black leg disease hit the cattle in this area and there was no cure for it. The cattle died like flies. The farmers would pile the cattle in big piles and burn them to keep the disease from spreading. It was only a short time until Johns cattle were completely wiped out. Then to make matters worse, the land began to go water logged. the farmers would dig deep trenches to try to drain the water off the land but to no avail. In the spring of 1910, John and his wife traded his farm for a team harness, and white top buggy and loaded their few last belongings with their children and went back to Loa, Wayne County. There were many hardships on the way back. A short time after arriving back in Loa, their fifth child, Eva, became seriously ill and on the 7th of January 1914, she died and was buried in Loa. John was always a hard worker and honesty was one of his many great virtures.
It was sometime about the spring of 1915 that John moved his family to Delta, hoping to make a new life, but he could never get ahead of the great loss in Emery Co. It was during this time that the baby daughter Allie had from he first marriage, Pearl (who had grown to a lovely young lady and was married with three young children of her own, having lost her oldest child soon after birth), Pearl was seriously ill, so Allie took her three youngest children and went to Pearl's home in Fairview to help care for Pearl's children while she sent to Salt Lake City for treatment. Pearl died the 25th June 1915 and was buried in Fairview the 28th June 1915.
In 1917 John's and Allie's second son, Aroet enlisted in the first world war, and went over seas to help defend his country. It was a great worry to these people to see their young son go so far away from home under such conditions.
There was happiness and good time and sorrow and heartache, but John remained true to his faith and often said that he certainly had a testimony of this church and that if he didn't think there was a here after and that our church wasn't true, he would surely live this old life up fast. John was always teaching love and respect to his children and was always a good husband and father. He begun to have sick spells, Prostate trouble but he always said if he ever went to a hospital, he would die. On the 30th of April 1934, at the age of 73 years and 3 months, John passed away in Hinckley, Utah, after suffering many many months with cancer of the postate glands. He was buried of the 3rd of May 1934 at Fremont, Wayne County, along side of his first love and the little family that he lost so very sudden.
Contributor: Hadizoo Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
23 May 1818 to 9 Sept. 1903
Born in Waddington, Yorkshire, England.
Son of Matthew Ellison and Jane Wilson.
Baptized into LDS church by Joseph Fielding, Jan. 1838, near Preston, Lancashire, England.
Married Alice Pilling, 4 Feb. 1841
Immigrated to Nauvoo, Hancock Co., Illinois, Feb. 1841
Ordained a seventy, by Dec. 1844
Moved to St. Louis, by June 1850
Arrived in Salt Lake Valley, 13 Sept. 1852
Moved to Kaysville, Davis Co., Utah Territory, Oct. 1853
Served as stake high counselor and patriarch.
Served as Davis Co. selectman.
Ordained a high priest by George Q. Cannon, 18 June 1877
Died in Kaysville.
History, 1838–1856, volume E-1 [1 July 1843–30 April 1844]
Journal, December 1842–June 1844; Book 3, 15 July 1843–29 February 1844