John Edward Stokes

3 Aug 1914 - 20 Jan 1996


John Edward Stokes

3 Aug 1914 - 20 Jan 1996
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of John Edward Stokes (3 Aug 1914 - 20 Jan 1996) at Ogden City Cemetery in Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of John Edward Stokes
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

John Edward Stokes

Married: 2 Oct 1934

Ogden City Cemetery

1875 Monroe Blvd.
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Married and Sealed October 2, 1934; Arlene, Renae, Darwin, Steven


July 13, 2013


July 6, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about John Edward...

We found more records about John Edward Stokes.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John Edward


John Edward Stokes is buried in the Ogden City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store




Contributor: jillpz Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

LIFE STORY OF lVIE MAY LOVELAND TUCKER HODSON I was born in Deweyville, Utah, Box Elder County, on February 13, 1894, the sixth child of Almond Francis Loveland and Hannah Elizabeth Dewey. There were four children after me, but I was the last one to live very long. They were doubtful about me for a while, but I'm still around. At the time of my birth, I had four sisters: Celia, (Celia Elizabeth), born October 5, 1882; Hattie, (Harriet Adelaide), born March 7, 1884; Ella, (Florence Ellen), born January 23, 1889; and Myrtle, (Susan Myrtle), born May 5, 1891. There was also a little brother Almond Francis, born August 10, 1886 that died before my time. He was between Hattie and Ella. My father was a farmer, and my mother was a housewife who did a lot of church work. We didn't have many worldly possessions. They did buy a piece of ground next to Uncle Orson Loveland, and I guess they built this little four room house on it. That was where I was born. The house still stands in Deweyville. The house had quite a large kitchen, living room, and two bedrooms. In those days we slept three deep, not like the kids of today. We were glad we could all get in one bed. Neither mother nor father had much education. Mother never did have an opportunity to go to school. Father went to about what the Third Grade would be now days, but he certainly learned all the fundamentals. He could read and write better than most people. As far as arithmetic was concerned he could step off a piece of ground and tell you In his head how much land has in it in five minutes. The same with a stack of hay. He could look at the height and tell you how many tons were in it. I remember when I was about three or four years old Grandmother Way, father's mother, came to live with us. We built a little house out to the side of our house for her because she insisted on living alone. They had a bell from her house to ours that she could ring if she needed help. I was not very well liked by my grandmother because I got into mischief. I was just a little brat who cried and caused problems. In fact, Ella was the only one she liked. She was not very well, however. She had a cancer on her nose and didn't want people around her. She died when I was about five years old. I don't remember too much about times before I went to school. I do know that as little kids mother didn't let us go places. We stayed home a lot. We went to church and things like that, but we didn't roam as the kids do today. We had a little play house out by the fence next to Aunt Mary Loveland, who lived next door. But Venna and Fay stayed on their side, and we stayed on ours. Transportation in my day was by horse and buggy. I was past the covered wagon day. Mother helped with the sick a lot, and she had to have some transportation. Also, they had to go fifteen miles to Brigham to do their shopping because there were no stores around. We belonged to the Box Elder Stake, so every three months we went there to conference. The trip took about an hour and a half, depending on how fast you could get the horse to go. Our horse was pretty slow. In the wintertime when it was cold, we put hot rocks down by our feet and bundled up in blankets. Often we went by sleigh. I started school at Brigham City. We had gone there to live for the winter because Celia and Hattie had finished grade school and had gone down to attend high school. On the first day of school Mother took me. My teacher, Savina Madsen, was an old maid. I was a little bitty thing and was scared stiff. I was among too many children, and I didn't know a soul. When Mother left me, I could have died right there. The next year we were back home again, and I went to school in Deweyville in the old Relief Society building where they had moved the First and Second Grade because the school was too crowded. My teacher was another old maid, Nellie Hendricks, who later became the primary supervisor of the Box Elder County Schools. There was no paper, so we wrote on slates with a slate pencil. We did have books, however. We learned reading, arithmetic, geography, and spelling. We clothes we wore were mostly hand me downs, with the dresses coming between the knee and ankle. We had to wear lots of petticoats to keep warm and home knit stockings. These itched me so bad that I wrapped my legs in newspaper. When mother found out that it wasn’t all in my head she bought me cotton stockings. School wasn't required in those days. Some boys only went in the winter months when there wasn’t much work on the farm. When I graduated from the eighth grade, there were some who were twenty years old graduating also. I was about fifteen when I got through because I asked to go back a grade to be with my friends. I didn’t dare tell mother until I had been in the other class about two months because she would have killed me. I whizzed through the rest of school though. I did regret it later on, however, thinking it was a stupid thing to do. After graduating from the Eighth Grade I worked during the summer. Then I went to Logan to the Brigham Young College, which was like a high school, only church owned. The next year I attended Box Elder High School in Brigham City for a half of year. I thought I knew more than the principal, so I quit. The kids of today don’t realize the advantages they have. We didn’t celebrate too many holidays because of the transportation problem. We were patriotic on the 4th and 24th of July, usually having a parade and ballgame in the ward. Once each year we also had a big ward party and would go somewhere like Saltaire or Lagoon later on. I do remember one special Christmas. Each year we would have a party, which was held in the school building because the church hadn’t been built yet. There was always a big Christmas tree that would go clear to the ceiling. People would take their presents, if they had any, and hang them on the tree. Then Santa would come in and give you a bag of candy and take a present from the tree and callout your name. I remember the last doll I got. I wanted one so badly, but Mother said I was too old. When we went to the church there was one hanging on the tree, and I couldn't see anything else. I guess there were other things hanging there, but all I could see was that doll. Some kid told me it was mine, but I wouldn’t believe him. I guess the program was about half way through. It seemed forever, before they took the doll from the tree, and sure enough it was mine. I didn’t sleep that night because I was too thrilled with the doll. That was pretty much the size of our Christmas. Everything else we got was put in our stocking at home, unless it was a sled or something like that. As I grew older, there were more activities for us to go to. The mutual would have parties, especially birthday parties. Sometimes we would have candy pulling parties. Every winter the ward would put on a play or two that we could be in. Then there were dances that we could go to. The Deweyville orchestra would play for the dances in Tremonton, so we used to go over there quite often. In our spare time, what little there was, we would embroidery or sew carpet rags. We had homemade carpets everywhere. Also, we’d take a few eggs once in a while and walk a mile to trade them at the store for candy. When we got sick, Mother usually had a home remedy to make us better. There were doctors in those days, but the nearest one was in Brigham City. That was in the horse and buggy days. I do remember once the doctor staying all night at our home. I don’t know what his other patients did. Later on, there were doctors in Garland and one in Collinston. We Here lucky that Grandma Dewey was a mid-wife and knew a little about medicine. Also, my mother studied. When I was ten, Mother went to Brigham and took a course from Dr. Ellis R. Shipp. She had a mid-wife permit. She delivered about 250 babies in Deweyville, so you see we had a Doctor in the house. We used to have lots of hobos in my day. They came in droves bumming food. If they came to our house when my dad was around, they would either work cutting wood or they didn't get fed. When I was working at the telephone company in Tremonton, I went to a dance in Bothwell with Joe Stokes. That’s where I met Shirl. They had moved from Ogden to a ranch west of Tremonton in which his Uncle Ernest Rich had bought a share. That was on a Friday night. There was a dance in Deweyville on Saturday night, and he asked me to go with him. We dated for six or seven months and were married November 20, 1912) in Brigham City, Utah, by President Oleen Stoll, President of the Box Elder Stake. After our marriage, we lived at mothers part of the winter. Shirl was working in Garland at a meat plant. He used to ride a horse from Deweyville to Garland with his feet wrapped in gunny sacks to keep them from freezing. We were able to rent a place in Garland, so we moved there from mothers. We got our first furniture from Ogden. It cost us $95.00. That was a bed, dresser, a rug and a stove. Mother gave us a table and chairs and an old cupboard that she had. Isabel was born while we were living in Garland on February 8, 1914. We then moved back to Deweyville and lived in a log house that is now across the street from Barbara's. We moved from there down to the Sharp farm, which is now Selman's. We were fixed up real comfortable. We stayed at the Sharp farm for a year or a year and a half while Dad managed the farm. Meat cutting was Dad's first love, so we moved from there to Preston, Idaho where he got a job working for Felsted and Hawkes. On the way, we had to stop in Logan because Deweyville was playing ball and Shirl had to play because he was half the team. He was a good ball player. We landed in Preston without much. We stayed with Celia and Arthur for a Short time. After renting a home, we bought our first home in Preston. It was a new house, four nice rooms, well arranged, and a bath without fixtures. It cost $900.00 and was on one-third of an acre of ground. Grandpa Tucker came up and built in some cupboards. We didn't live there too long. We moved back to Ogden, where Shirl went to work for more money. We moved a lot. Shirl was never out of work as long as his health was good. In the spring of 1919, we went to Heyburn, Idaho, where Shirl went up to save his father's farm. Grandpa Tucker had gone back to carpentering and was letting the farm go. That winter we came down to Logan, where Shirl could help take care of my father, who was ill. Helen Maxine was born in Logan on February 29, 1920. We took her in to see Dad, and he said to name her Chloie; but I couldn't quite tolerate that, I knew he wouldn’t be around very long, so I wouldn't do it. My father had surgery in Salt Lake City. He came home the first part of February. The doctor said he would not live more than two weeks, however, he lived about two months, passing away March 28, 1920. He is buried in the Deweyville cemetery. We lived in Heyburn for a couple of years. Grandpa had a chance to sell the farm. He did, and we were without a place to live. We moved back to Ogden, and Dad went to work again cutting meat. Dad was working for Skaggs, and after a couple of years, he was transferred to Oakland, California, to run a market. While there, we bought our first car. Shirley Charles was born on May 2, 1923, in Oakland. We lived in three or four places in Oakland because they kept shifting Dad around. One Monday he went to a meeting of the Skagg's organization and came home and said, “I’II have to be in Sparks, Nevada, by Wednesday.” I was glad that we were getting closer to home because I hadn't been home since we left. We packed everything we could in the old Ford and he left Tuesday and drove all day so he could get there by Wednesday. The kids and I went by train a day or two later. Dad met us at the train station and took us to the hotel, where he had rented a room. I laid Chuck on the bed. Pretty soon a big old bed bug climbed on him. I saw another climbing up the wall, and I told Dad that I wasn't going to stay there. Some people told us about an old house that we could probably rent. It was one that no one had lived in for a long time. We went down there and rented it by candlelight. The next day when I looked around, I wasn't sure that it beat the other place. We stayed there until we could get a better place. We lived in Sparks long enough for me to take my first driving lesson. Dad took me out past Reno to Dry Lake. That was where everybody went to learn to drive. They could drive around and around because there was nothing to stop them. I did pretty well. I drove back through the end of Reno, over into Sparks and up the driveway to the house. I went past the door a little, and he said, "You can't stop the **** thing by hollering whoa." He said I had my foot on the brakes, and I was hanging on the steering wheel so tight I almost pulled it off. That's the last time I attempted to drive a car. We really enjoyed living in Sparks. We were active in the ward, and people were really nice to us. We lived there about two years. Donna Mae was born in Sparks on July 12, 1925. We came home to Ogden in June of 1926 to take over the grocery store. We also went through the Logan Temple on the 17th of June, soon after we got back. We were really poor, but we didn't mind because everyone was poor. What you haven't had you don't miss. It would be terribly hard for the kids of today to live like the kids of those days. While we lived on 29th Street and had the store, Shirl's health got bad. He was put to bed with heart trouble. This was just before Bob was born. We bought the farm in Slaterville, Utah, thinking we could make a living. The house, however, was not livable, so we rented the land for a couple of years. In the meantime, on November 19, 1928, Robert Loveland was born. Later, we sold the store to pay for the farm, and we moved up on Monroe in a huge house. Darrel Leon Has born on December 3, 1930. Shirl was quite sick at the time. The doctors gave him only a week to live but he fooled them. The next spring we decided that we would move out to the farm, where we could at least raise what food we needed, We moved there on the 17th of April, 1931. What a mess! We took scoop shovels to scoop the rat manure out. We plastered and papered and fixed it up the best we could. Dad was able to work one day a week at Wangsgards, for which he was paid $6.00 a day. That $24.00 was our total income for the month. One neighbor in Slaterville told us it wouldn't do any good to plant a garden because nothing would grow on that land. We planted one anyway next to the house on the south side, and l’ve never seen more produce come off a little bit of land. I bottled vegetables and vegetables and gave tons away. A man, who owed us money from the store, gave us a pig that we fattened and we had a beef that we killed, so we were well supplied for the winter. The next year we built on to the house so that it was warm and quite comfortable. On November 7, 1933, Barbara Jean was born. Things were going well and we were happy. Isabel was married to John Edward Stokes in the Logan Temple on October 2, 1934. Dad took sick at work and they brought him home. I immediately got in touch with the doctor and he came right out. I doctored him at home for about a week. He had Thrombosis, a blood clot, under the left knee. We soaked his leg every few hours. He was in a lot of pain and didn't get much sleep. Neither did any of the rest of us. After a week or ten days the doctor told me we'd better put him in the hospital. The LDS Hospital in Salt Lake was the only place that could do the kind of therapy he needed. His leg was dead. We took him there, and they treated him for about a week. Finally the doctor said that amputation was the only thing and that the doctor in Ogden could perform the surgery as well as he. Pete and Lottie Couch brought him to Ogden on Thursday. He was scheduled for surgery Friday. The doctor told me he had one chance in a thousand of living, but I said, "Let's take it.” They amputated just above the knee; but the clot had moved, and they had to cut another two or three inches off. They brought him back into the room, but he never regained consciousness. He lived until 2 o'clock in the afternoon of the next day, April 9, 1938. He was buried in the Ogden City Cemetary on April 12th. After Dad passed away, we stayed on the farm. We rented the land, raised what we could, and sold what we could. The boys worked. It wasn't an easy time but we made it. My mother was taken ill before Shirl died. She was staying at Hattie's. She was so ill she was unable to come to Shirl's funeral. About a week or two after, they moved her up to Ella's because Cleo was getting married. Hattie had a lot to do to get ready for the wedding and mother thought she was in the way. On Cleo's wedding day Hattie didn't feel too well; but she went to the temple with them. By night time, she was too ill to go to the reception. The next morning they took her to the hospital in Brigham, where she died the following Tuesday, May 2, 1938. As soon as school was out Pete, took Bob and Darrel up to Deweyville to help him and to relieve me. Darrel only stayed a few days because he was so homesick. Kermit and Eva brought him home. Eva said he didn't say a word from the time he got in the car until he got just north of Slaterville and he realized where he was. Then he didn't shut his mouth the rest of the way home. Mother was still at Ella's but Ella needed help with her because Ella wasn't too healthy herself. On weekends I would bake and wash at home, then I would go up and stay with Ella during the week to help take care of mother. This didn't last long though, because Mother died June 20, 1938. So within the two and one-half month span I lost my husband, my sister, who was like a mother to me, and my mother. The hardest thing of all though was going over to Logan and cleaning out Mother's house. We had some awfully good neighbors and ward members who helped us pull through the next few years. We rented the farm, and with Chuck going into the service and with the Lord's help, we were somehow able to get by. On January 17, 1941, Helen was married to Darrell Leslie Stokes in the Logan Temple. On October 4, 1943 Donna was married to John Randolph Hall. Charles married Dean Creeze on January 23, 1946 in the Salt Lake Temple, In May of 1949, I sold the farm and bought a home at 535 40th in South Ogden. I had been going with Delbert Franklin Hodson for quite some time. He thought it was too far to travel to see me, so we were married on June 22, 1949. That fall, Darrel went to Utah State to college, Bob went on a mission to the Eastern States, and I transferred from Wahlquist School to the South Junior High School, working as a cook. I worked in the school lunch program for about ten years. Soon after Bob returned from his mission, he married Uana Lu Frost on October 9, 1951 in the Salt Lake Temple. Darrel was married to June Louise Cliften on September 20, 1952. She and their daughter Debra were killed in an airplane crash on October 5, 1955. Darrel was in the service at the time. Barbara was married to Jack Rindlisbacher on September 7, 1955, in the Salt Lake temple. We sold our home on “40th" late in 1956 and bought a home at 578 Canyon road. In the spring of 1964, Frank took sick. He didn't feel good all that summer, but he never got down until the day before he died on December 2, 1964. He was buried in the Ogden City cemetery. I stayed at the home on Canyon Road and lived alone until June. Then I purchased a home at 4029 Porter Ave., where I would be nearer the kids. I lived there until July 1, 1970. I then moved in the basement apartment of Helen and Darrell’s home, where I have lived since. I have tried to keep busy and useful. I have arthritis in my hands, and I have to keep them active. I have enjoyed making quilt tops. I have no idea how many I have made. I'm sure it's over one hundred. I have also made several couch throws. One year I made twenty seven doll quilts for my great granddaughters. I have no idea how many doilies I’ve made or how many pillow cases or kitchen towels I've crocheted on. I've made at least one hundred fifty crib bag purses and lots of stuffed blocks and balls. The past few years I have spent many hours covering dozens of hangers.

Autobiography of John E Stokes January 26 1993

Contributor: jillpz Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

HISTORY OF JOHN E STOKES JAN 26,1993 CHURCH EVENTS Elder President of Seventies Quorum High Priest Bishopric Ogden 38th Ward 5 Years Bishop Harvey Hegstrom 1st Counselor John E Stokes 2nd Counselor Sylvester Dalebout Secretary Robert Haws South Ogden Stake Young Men’s Presidency President Everett Carter 1st Counselor John E Stokes John and Isabel Stokes were both called and set apart as Ogden Temple Officiators 1971. We worked at the temple for nearly ten years. Many wonderful experiences happened to us during this time. Isabel and I worked just inside the temple when it was opened to the public. We showed the people where to go in the assigned direction. To begin our training as officiators, about 300 of us, and because I was well acquainted with a counselor to the President of the temple, I was called upon to give the opening prayer. My first recollection of the first temple session in the Ogden Temple, I was assigned to receive at the veil. After the session was over and they reported at the veil, I received the first man through the veil. I was later trained to officiate leading sessions and working in initiatory ordinances. I was later called to assist the presidency in the training of new temple workers in the performance of their duties. My wife and I were later called to be supervisors of loading sessions, where we utilized six rooms to take care of first endowment sessions and regular sessions utilized by regular patrons that have come to do temple work for the dead. It was our job to keep the rooms operating, to have trained leaders and assist patrons who needed to go to the restroom or that became sick or died in the session. If they had a breakdown of the film or other equipment, we were notified to obtain people to fix the problem or remove the patrons to another room to finish their session. We worked under the presidencies and matrons. We worked until we were released in April of 1981. While I was still working at the temple, I was called by my Stake President to be a 1st Counselor to Bishop Robert E Francis and with 2nd Counselor Robert Roush in the Ogden 65th Ward of the South Ogden Stake. I was later called to be a counselor to President Alvin Carter in the presidency of the Ogden 65th Ward High Priest Quorum. While living in the 65th Ward I worked under three different bishops as a finance clerk. I also had the job as president of the ward choir. I have sung bass in the choir. I led the music in priesthood meetings for nearly thirty years. MUSIC I have always been interested in music. It started when I was in High School. I played a coronet in the band at Weber High School for one year, I played the alto horn for two years. I took chorus in school and sang in the choir. In my senior year I was given the part of Father Cats in the operetta. I sang three solos and I sang and danced with the chorus because they were in the operetta. My music started at home. My father was a singer and sang comic songs at meetings and parties and ward reunions all over the stake. My mother was a piano player and accompanied Dad in all his singing. Our family get-together ended up at the piano with the family singing and having a good time. I started singing with my brothers : Ellis, Victor, Otto, and myself. We got pretty good and were invited to sing quartets not only at home but at other towns and special events throughout the area. We got so busy and Ellis moved to Idaho so we broke up. After I was married we lived in two rooms of the Burkland residence on 8th Street. I got three of my friends to sing in a quartet namely: Elmer and Merl Allen and their cousin Henry Ekins. We auditioned at Radio Station KLO to sing and they gave us a job singing every Saturday for 30 minutes and they furnished the music. It was necessary to learn five new songs a week. I arranged for Burkland’s daughter to play for us and practice at her home. We did this for six months, with a lot of work. Because of school and other work we had to call it quits. One of the group, namely Merl Allen, later became Mayor of Ogden and at different times became President of Utah Education and later became President of Colorado Education for a few years. After a time my brothers Darrell and Lowell Stokes with brother-in-law Edward Carlson and myself joined together in a quartet and joined the barber shoppers’ organization. We sang with them for many years, and learned many songs (Mother’s arrangements) by heart and could sing them at any time with the help of a pitch pipe to get us started. The father to the Osmond Brothers belonged to our large group. He and Edward Carlson were good friends. And he borrowed some music from us to the Osmond boys started. We heard their first start. SPORTS SOFTBALL Play four different sports both in team and individual competition against national champions. I started in sports at an early age, if me and my brothers worked hard all week, Dad would take us to the baseball game each Saturday afternoon, somewhere in Weber County. As I grew older I joined the team as an outfielder on the baseball team. After I got married I joined a softball team that formed a league of four teams, the first four in Ogden playing softball. Later I played on Ogden City champions and on a state champion team. I played and managed a Hill Field team who won the city championship and second place in the state championship. I was chosen as a center fielder on an All-Star team to play against the champions of the United States coming through Ogden on an exhibition. HORSESHOES I started playing horseshoes in 1932 when I completed High School and went to work for Model Dairy after proving I had dairy experience through my father who bought milk from them and delivered it retail to the homes. We had to wait sometimes for the trucks who brought milk to us from the farmers. The Model dairy has a horseshoe pit under the trees near the dairy. Vaughan Allred played horseshoes for Ogden City and worked with us at the dairy. He showed me how to play horseshoes. We practiced at lunch time and maybe before and after work. After learning how to play I joined Lavon Allred at the Ogden City Horseshoe Course and joined their league. After some good experience, I won the Ogden City Championship throwing 75% ringers. About two weeks later the National United States Champion (Allen) was coming through Ogden on exhibition and wanted to play our champion. I was contacted and accepted the honor. He was averaging 87% ringers, so the only points I made was when he missed with the first or second shoe and I had a double ringer. BOWLING In 1937 I went to work for Paramount Ice Cream Company. Ezra Peterson, the owner, wanted to build a team to represent his company in bowling. He had us go bowling with him one afternoon to see how we would do. He had himself, his son Clifford Peterson, his foreman Hap Payne, and myself. He would get another business friend, Chick Bowerbank to bowl. He made arrangements for us to enter a new bowling league in the Mapleway Bowling Center on 23rd and Washington Blvd. As time progressed our team was leading the league, and I was lucky to have the highest average in the league. Near the end of our first season the league accepted an invitation of the United States bowling champion to visit our league as he was touring the United States. As the highest average bowler I was invited to bowl a game against him. Following this he gave us a demonstration of his abilities. He was not only a champion but was also a trick bowler showing us a pleasing demonstration of his abilities. Later our team joined the city league for several years, and thru this experience several of us improved our bowling averages. Hal Francom joined our team in lieu of Chick Bowerbank. Later I joined Hal Francom and we bowled in a new doubles league, bowling after the city league. During this experience Hal and I bowled the highest single game ever recorded, which remained for several years. About this time Ezra Peterson decided to enter our team in the national tournament to be bowled in Los Angeles. He paid all of our expenses. He entered us in the team events, doubles, and singles. He paid for our transportation and hotels from Ogden to Los Angeles. Any winnings we made in the tournament was given back to us what we had earned. I received money from the team, doubles, singles, and all events. I had an outstanding tournament. During the many years I bowled for Paramount Ice Cream Company, Ezra had Hap Payne, his foreman pay my bowling which also included $1.00 each week to put in the pot for each bowler, which was distributed after the games. $1.25 was given to the bowler for winning each of the 3 different games and highest series. I was the highest average bowler so I received many of this type of winnings. When I worked at Hill AFB Hill Field I played many years in a Hill Field league which had 20 teams or 100 personnel. I played on a team that won several championships. I have many trophies for : High Average, High Single Game, and High Series. I had one interesting thing that happened to me near the end of my bowling. Hal Francom was secretary of the league. At the end of the season they usually pass out the money and the trophies. He announced that they were not giving trophies for the high scorers but were giving them to the lower average bowlers including their handicaps. I had won the high average, high series, and high game without a handicap, which usually won trophies. Instead he gave me a small trophy of a bowling pin about 4 inches high. He said would put my name on it and include my three high scores. I took the small trophy and told him to forget about it. I still have it but nothing is printed on it. I have many trophies in the basement that mean a lot to me. INSPIRING SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCES At a young age I had the opertunity of hearing the testamony of an elderly woman who knew the Prophet Joseph Smith and knew of his death, and was there when Brigham Young spoke to the church and his countenance appeared like Joseph Smith. At age 16 me and my friend, Jesse Ogden, and Hyrum Archibald went on a hike up 7th street passed camels cave, and on up the hill toward the top. The climb was very difficult and we were very careful. We got to about 10ft below the top of the cliffs and we felt it would become easy going up and over to the next revean. However, we had tostop; we could go no farther. We lay down on our stomachs because we felt ill after looking over the steep cliffs below. I knew we were in trouble and I prayed to the Lord for help. For about the next 30 minutes I knew nothing about it. The next thing I remember I was on a hard run next to camels cave. I sat down on a rock and the other two boys came down stopped. I asked them what happened and they said they didn’t know, other than nothing was said, and I got up, stepped over them and started down, and they followed. I told them that I had offered a prayer I know nothing that happened after that until I stopped at camels cave. As time has passed now I know who the blessing of the Lord from the prayer was for. Jesse Ogden died about a month later from a ruptured spleen after shoveling gravel with a scoop shovel with a neighbor. Hyrum Archibald moved to California and became inactive. This event has proved me the prayers offered can be answered - immediately. One day I was sitting at home, at 1817 Kiesel Ave, and my wife came home excited and said that Chris Eddy a young neighbor boy, 4 yrs. old, had been struck by a car on the Ogden bridge and to come quick. I rushed up to Washington Blvd Bridge and Chris was thrashing with pain and his mother arrived and asked me to prayer for him. The cars were traveling both directions. I kneeled down beside the boy and by authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood I prayed for the Lord to relieve the boy of pain, and if possible let him live, but not my will but thy will be done; Amen. He immediately relaxed. The ambulance came and took him to the hospital. He died 3 hours later. Lowell Stokes and son Stanley Stokes had been to the hospital where his wife Alene had been sick in the hospital for at least three weeks, seriously ill with complications of Diabetes, heart trouble, and other problems she had for years. They came to our place to have supper. We discussed the problems Alene was having and didn’t believe she could get better. They both wished that she could relieved of her suffering. Isabel had our supper ready and we all came to the table to eat. I offered the prayer to bless the food, and felt impressed to ask the Lord to Release her of her suffering and let her return unto your presence but not my will but thy will be done. About 5 minutes later a telephone call from the hospital told us that Alene just died. What a relief for the family.

Tribute to Grandpa Stokes given at his funeral.

Contributor: jillpz Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Tribute to Grandpa Given by Brent Wheeler January 24, 1996 Dear Grandpa, I can think of no time in my life when writing a letter was more difficult than this. I have known for 16 months of this assignment, however time has made it no easier. I had hoped this day would never come. I have been asked as a representative of your family to pay tribute to you. It is with great difficulty and honor that I fulfill this assignment. There are so many things that come to mind as I contemplate my life with you. You are as near to perfect as any man I know. The love and respect that you have for your wife is exemplary. You hold her up on a pedestal and cherish everything about her. You continually hold her hand, tell her that you love her, and are never shy about letting other people know your love for her. As, it says in your Patriarchal blessing, “you will have a companion worthy of your love and confidence.” Your lifetime of marriage and raising a family has left a legacy of love and understanding that we should all try and emulate. Your wife has firmly stood by your side these past months, as you have not been yourself, and given to you the help that only a wife that truly loves her husband can give. It has taught me the importance of cherishing my wife at all times. Your children are the joy of your life. I never remember a time that you ever talked negatively about them. You were always telling me how proud you were of Darwin and his success and promotions at work. Steve’s accomplishments at bowling and other sports were a constant source of discussion. I remember going with you several times to watch him participate in different competitions. It was obvious he was your son and you were proud of him. Arlene and Renae were your girls. There is nothing to compare to Daddy’s girls. You were there for them whenever they needed you. Your love was unequivocal. Your Patriarchal blessing also tells you; “that you should hold your ambitions high, let none excel you in good works.” You learned to work during some of the hardest financial times our country ever faced. Your stories about working even though seriously injured, so that you would not lose your job to the next person in line, have helped instill in me a greater work ethic. It seems that no matter what your job was you did your best and were quickly promoted to a higher position. It was with great pride that you would show me your letters of commendation and other awards. Your management skills were very helpful to me as a I pursued my own career. A standout experience in this area would be the coat demonstration. You would hold up an overcoat and ask one of us to tell you how to put it on. It was hilarious as you would follow word for word our misguided directions with the end result being us rolling on the floor in laughter, and you wearing a coat inside out and backwards. It taught me how to listen and how to give direction. It seems you never tired of playing all kinds of games with your grandkids. You were always in the backyard teaching us to be better golfers, or horseshoe throwers or simply lawn darts. You always had words of encouragement that made us feel like we were worth something. Playing board games in the house always seemed to be the concluding activity at Grandma and Grandpa’s house on Sunday evenings. We could play for hours. You always had time to play games with the kids and teach us things at the same time. Going for rides was also an activity that you enjoyed, although it seems that you and Grandma never went on the same trip even though you were both in the same car. The grandkids all have special memories of going with you to Willow Park or how your car would always stop at Nielsen’s fruit stand as if there were no other places to stop between Ogden and Brigham City. Going to Darwin’s ball games when I was young or just going for a ride with you are very special memories. The Gospel was always a very important part of your life. You told me several times that your Patriarchal blessing said that; “the powers of the evil one would not bring harm to your body or tempt you to do things that would displease your Father in Heaven.” You lived a clean and pure life, worthy of all the blessings promised you. Your ability to love us regardless of what we had done was incredible. When my life was at the lowest, you still treated me with honor and respect. No matter who it was or what we had done, you always extended a hand of love and words of advice, love, and encouragement. It was second nature for you to follow the commandments. You always paid your tithing first, and home teaching was always done the first week of the month. You never turned down a calling, and you always fulfilled them to the best of your ability. I remember as if it were yesterday sitting with you as you would share your testimony of the Gospel with me., The tears would roll down your cheeks as you testified to the love you have for the Prophet Joseph Smith, that you knew without a doubt that the Gospel is true, and that you are proud to be a member of our Father in Heaven’s Church. Even as you have suffered these past months, you have continued to teach us. We have learned to love one another more, to have a greater respect for life. To be more aware of the need for service to others around us, and the need for patience as the Lord’s plan unfolds before us. Even in death, you taught us a great lesson in love. As you lay just barely breathing, you opened your eyes for the first time in 2 days; and with your family surrounding your bed, and your wife cradling you in her arms, you puckered your lips and she kissed you goodbye for now. You then quietly passed away-leaving us to sorrow for our loss and to ponder about one of the most spiritual experiences and greatest acts of love we may ever have the opportunity to experience. My dearest Grandpa, you have left a hole in my life that will be impossible for me to fill. I look forward to the day that we can be together again. I love you with all my heart. Love, Brent

Talk Given by Robert Francis at John's funeral

Contributor: jillpz Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Talk given by Robert Francis At the Funeral of John E. Stokes January 24, 1996 As far as the Gospel of Jesus Christ is concerned, I think we can sum it all up in a song we learned as children, still in the hymn book. I Am a Child of God, and He has sent me here, has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear, lead me, guide me, walk beside me, teach me all that I must do to live with him someday. Nothing is more certain from the scriptures that God is our Father. I one time went through the New Testament to find out what Jesus Christ said about God. In all cases he called him Father. He taught us to pray: Our Father which art in Heaven. He told his disciples-or told Mary-to go unto his brethren and say : “I go unto my God and your God and unto my Father and your Father.” Isn’t that a great knowledge; concept- to know for - from that truth -all other Gospel principles come. Because God is our Father; He loves us. Because God is our Father, He helps us, He answers our prayers. He gives unto us anything that is good and we are ready to receive. He does not give us things when we are not ready to receive it-for that would be condemnation to us. The scriptures also tell us that He gives things because we desire them. What are the desires of our heart? Nephi said; “I desired to know what my father had seen.” His brothers did not desire that. Abraham said, when he was living with his father and his father had gone astray, “I desire to know somewhat of the teachings of the fathers-therefore I sought God.” Whatever good things we desire-he will give unto us and help us in that situation. God is-though he is our creator in some respects-as one father creates his children, but he is not a creator like an inventor. That the machine is just there and if it doesn’t work properly, he can destroy and throw it away, or start again. Though He is a king over all of us-He is not a king in respect to being-we his subjects-to be commanded to do and to serve him and please him in whatever He wants to do. He is our Father. He loves us, and that gives us comfort. Has given us parents kind and dear-I’m sure the family knows more about what Brother Stokes’ father and mother taught him. Obviously they taught them to appreciate music, but I know of one teaching that his father taught him. Apparently John’s father had been called to do something in the Church and did not feel that he could do that. So he turned it down, and felt that from that time forth, his life was not as good. So he taught John to always accept the Church callings. Do your best in that respect, and I don’t think John ever turned down a calling in the Church. Never. He has related that to me. That he didn’t dare turn down a calling because of the teachings of his father. When I had a couple of my counselors in the Bishopric move out of the Ward-I had worked with John Stokes when he was our Finance Clerk. I knew his dedication, I knew his honesty, and his integrity. I also knew he had been working at the Temple for a number of years. Nowadays usually Temple Presidents are called for about three years. Brother Halverson being the first President, he served from 71 to 76. About that time, knowing that Brother Stokes was a Temple Worker and holding a responsible position there, I felt I was obligated to call the Temple President to get permission to call one of his workers to be my Counselor. So I called President Halverson and I said; “I would like to call one of your Temple Workers to be a Counselor to me in the Bishopric.” He said; “well, if he’s on a mission to Alaska-how could you call him? It’s no different than being here as a mission in the Temple.” I said; “but missions to Alaska only last two years, they don’t last four or five years.” He chuckled and said; “well you’re right. Who are you interested in?” I said; “John Stokes.” President Halverson said; “he’s one of my best men”, and I said; “that’s why I want him for a Counselor.” Then I added; “since he is retired, I see no reason for him not to be able to do both,” of which he did. Now when I was going to school, I had the opportunity to work in a dairy-and I did not like getting up at 3:00 in the morning-to do that-and I was always amazed that it didn’t bother John too much, at least he didn’t say it did-to get up at four and go work at the Temple. He would always say: “well, I was used to it, because I used to get up and work for the dairy-and get the milk”. Having worked at a dairy, I didn’t ever get used to that-and believe me, I’m retired, I don’t get up-well...early. “He is one of my best men”. He is one of my best friends. Sitting on the right side of me- great support. Always was willing to do whatever I asked him to do. Always was willing to be there to help me, and one of the best things he ever did was try to keep me on tune in the Ward Choir. I am still in the Ward Choir but we don’t sound as good as we did when Brother Stokes was there to help keep me on tune. To help keep me on tune in life, as well, was a great blessing to me. One of the things I learned from John Stokes is that you need-is that you have to have confidence. He seemed to have confidence in what he was doing. He was married in 1934. That was the year I was born. That took confidence to get married in 1934. A lot of 20 year old young men were off in the streets. They couldn’t find a job. They were off being hobos. There was a lot of things happening in the 30's. There was a song saying “Why don’t you work like other men do?” and the answer was; “How can I work, when there’s no work to do?” It was a time when my Aunts worked in Woolworth’s for 50 cents a day and lucky to get the job. I can remember my Dad saying, similar to what Brent replied, when he went to work injured (John did), my Dad saying, when he was shoveling something, he said; “I never worked so hard in my life-and didn’t think I could work that hard, but I knew that if I laid that shovel down-ten men would be there to pick it up.” In those times you had to have confidence to get married, I think. They were difficult times and yet, they were probably good times. I remember my Dad in the later part of his life, (he was working at the Post Office on the railway mail, and he also worked at Grandview Acres in maintenance) and he said; “When I went through the depression I thought that a very difficult time. I would never want to go back again-to do that,” but he said, looking back, I was not hungry. We were farmers, we had plenty to eat. Didn’t have to work too hard-there weren’t any jobs to do. It wasn’t too difficult to keep up with the Joneses. My friends would come over at night because there was no place to go and we would visit and talk and pop popcorn and have a good time.” “Now,” he said; I’m working two jobs to keep up with the Joneses and never see my friends.” Now I would imagine, John and Isabel, I know you didn’t have much money, but probably had a lot of friends. I know that, and you had time to visit with them, and talk, and sing. What joy that brings to the soul. Now me-when I played sports-if they didn’t need a hit, I could get one. If they didn’t need a basket, I could put it in. When the pressure is on-I kind of freeze. I’d hate to be at the foul line with the score tied, it’s the end of the ball game, I know I’d miss that. Brother Stokes, he had the confidence- he could do that. In bowling, if his team needed a strike to win-strike-it was there. If they needed a hit-they got the hit. I’m glad that they now keep track of slugging percentages instead of just batting averages. I might have had a good batting average-but slugging percentage-that’s where it really counts, where you hit runs in. Naw-it wasn’t there, but Brother Stokes had that confidence. He could do it and I had that confidence that he could do it. He had the confidence in the Music. If he had to hit a note, he had the confidence to know that he could hit that note-and he did-and he helped many people because of it. In later life he took up golf. He said of all the sports he played, (you’ve heard some of them enumerated-horseshoe pitching-he also taught me how to do that-never got good at it-but he taught me how to do it-baseball, softball, volleyball, basketball)of all the sports he said; Golf was the most difficult one to get. Yet he played it the longest. He and Brother Hogan and his other friends were going out in their late 70's and Brother Hogan was in his 80's and they were still golfing. He resented that he couldn’t go golfing three times a week because the legs wouldn’t hold up. I said; “why don’t you rent a cart?,” and he said; “Oh no-can’t afford that-it’s not good for you.” So he walked. My sons who are younger than I, obviously, they take the cart. He taught me how (not really how, because I had been putting jigsaw puzzles together most of my life), but he taught me how to do it. I had never seen anybody divide them out onto platters and trays-then you knew where they were, they were organized and you could put them together and you could create a beautiful picture rather rapidly. I knew that Brother Stokes was somewhat failing because he had always liked sports. He always came to the Ward baseball games and softball games. I think it was after I was Bishop, so he (being 20 years older than I am), he would be in his 60's or 70's - we didn’t have enough players on the team, so he decided to play. Then he said: “you know it’s time to quit when you hit a home run and get thrown out on first base”. Over the head of the outfielders but the legs had gone. That, I’m sure-- you know when you love something that much and then your abilities ... I guess that’s the way the Lord has of humbling us. Sometimes you know our greatest pride comes and then seems to take that away from us; that thing we have pride in. We can’t do what we used to could do. There is an Indian Proverb that states; “When you are born you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries, and you rejoice.” Brother Stokes lived that way. I have sat up here and I’ve seen the tears shed and the world is crying. He is rejoicing. But I would like to leave you with another thought. The Savior; who knew about life, and death, and suffering; He said unto his Apostles; “If ye love me, rejoice when I say, I go unto my Father-If ye love me, rejoice because I say, I go unto my Father.” Brothers and Sisters, when my mother died, I rejoiced-because I did not want her to continue living in the condition she was in. I’m sure all of you know and feel rejoicing at this time because you know Brother Stokes is no longer having to suffer. None of us here would want him to continue to be alive in his condition. So we rejoice...but we cry. I wept at my Father’s/Mother’s funeral, and I am weeping now, because we know there is a parting. There is a separation. Although in the eyes of God it is a short separation and I know that God always rejoices when his children come home. There is no sadness to him even though our children die young. He still rejoices that his children come home. They are gone, and we will miss them, and we do not see them again or touch their hand. Yet there there are times and there are moments when we feel his presence there. My Father-in-Law has comforted my wife and her sisters and their family quite a few times. They have felt his presence. They know he is there. So even though we can’t physically see and touch, there will be times when we will know that John Stokes is there helping us get through this life. And there may be a time when he will say-it’s time to go. My counsel is: he would know more than we know, and therefore accept his truth. I’ve seen it happen where a husband has come for his wife and she said she wasn’t ready, and then incapacitation came and she couldn’t do anything. So if that comes; if John comes for you Isabel (Isabel: “I’m ready”) Good! Because he knows more than we know. On the other hand that may not be-and for our benefit, I hope it’s not for a long time. We Love You. We-and I hope we do-go to see you often because now is the time when you need friends. Now is the time when you need family. Now is the time to give comfort to those who are alone. May we do that is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Life timeline of John Edward Stokes

John Edward Stokes was born on 3 Aug 1914
John Edward Stokes was 15 years old when Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio. George Herman "Babe" Ruth Jr. was an American professional baseball player whose career in Major League Baseball (MLB) spanned 22 seasons, from 1914 through 1935. Nicknamed "The Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat", he began his MLB career as a stellar left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but achieved his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees. Ruth established many MLB batting records, including career home runs (714), runs batted in (RBIs) (2,213), bases on balls (2,062), slugging percentage (.690), and on-base plus slugging (OPS) (1.164); the latter two still stand as of 2018. Ruth is regarded as one of the greatest sports heroes in American culture and is considered by many to be the greatest baseball player of all time. In 1936, Ruth was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame as one of its "first five" inaugural members.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 25 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 31 years old when World War II: German forces in the west agree to an unconditional surrender. The German Instrument of Surrender ended World War II in Europe. The definitive text was signed in Karlshorst, Berlin, on the night of 8 May 1945 by representatives of the three armed services of the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) and the Allied Expeditionary Force together with the Supreme High Command of the Red Army, with further French and US representatives signing as witnesses. The signing took place 9 May 1945 at 00:16 local time.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 39 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 55 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 64 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
See More
John Edward Stokes was 75 years old when The tanker Exxon Valdez spilled 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; 41,000 m3) of oil into Prince William Sound, Alaska, causing one of the most devastating man-made maritime environmental disasters. A tanker is a ship designed to transport or store liquids or gases in bulk. Major types of tankship include the oil tanker, the chemical tanker, and gas carrier. Tankers also carry commodities such as vegetable oils, molasses and wine. In the United States Navy and Military Sealift Command, a tanker used to refuel other ships is called an oiler but many other navies use the terms tanker and replenishment tanker.
See More
John Edward Stokes died on 20 Jan 1996 at the age of 81
Grave record for John Edward Stokes (3 Aug 1914 - 20 Jan 1996), BillionGraves Record 4450322 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States