John Albiston

4 Apr 1814 - 2 Apr 1891

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

John Albiston

4 Apr 1814 - 2 Apr 1891
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

By Ada H. Anderson My information was taken from the book 'Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah'. 1841 census of Silkstone, Yorkshire, England. Crossing the Plains. Film 38335 pt 10. Crossing the Ocean. Also other research at the Gen. Library. John ALBISTON Jr. B. 4 Apr 1814 Stockport, Lancashire, Eng

Life Information

John Albiston


Richmond City Cemetery

398 200 E
Richmond, Cache, Utah
United States

June 17, 2012


June 4, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John


John Albiston is buried in the Richmond City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



John Albiston Jr. and Elizabeth Mellor Smith

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

By Ada H. Anderson My information was taken from the book "Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah". 1841 census of Silkstone, Yorkshire, England. Crossing the Plains. Film 38335 pt 10. Crossing the Ocean. Also other research at the Gen. Library. John ALBISTON Jr. B. 4 Apr 1814 Stockport, Lancashire, England M. 6 May 1833 Saddreworth, Yorkshire, England D. 2 Apr 1891 Franklin. Oneida, Idaho Elizabeth MELLOR SMITH B. 27 Feb 1812 Silkstone, Yorkshire, England D. 18 Aug 1879 Richmond, Cache, Utah Their children were: James, Hannah, Charles, Martha, John, Joseph, Heber, Elizabeth Ann, Mary, Ruth Agnes. Of the 10 children three grew to be adults. Our grandmother, Ruth Agnes, was the last child born and the only one born in the U.S.A. All of the other children were born at Stanley Bridge, Cheshire, England. Silkstone, where Elizabeth Mellor was born was just a little town. In 1851, population was 1,037. At this time it still just had one long street with railroad station, post office and small stores. The church was primarily Methodist. They had a school and some charities. It is about 20 miles from Stockport, where John Jr. was born. Stockport, in 1851, had a population of 30,000. Very large community or city built in the mountains. The streets are very irregular, many high bridges over canals which empty into the river. Stanley Bridge, where the children were born, and where John Jr. and Elizabeth lived until they came to the U.S.A. This is a most beautiful place with waterfalls, canals and beautiful mountains. At this point the canals run into the river. It is 7 miles east of Manchester. In 1951 the population was 20,7000. Here is found very fine clay for making pottery, cotton and wool manufacturing, waterways, etc. The town hall built in 1831. Here they built a very high tower 64 feet high which holds a huge clock, which can be seen along way off. This information was taken from Vital Statistics , Church Office. Seventy-second Company "Widermere" 477 souls: The ship "Widermere", under Captain Fairfield, sailed from Liverpool, England, bound for New Orleans, on the 22nd of February, 1854, with four hundred and seventy seven (477) saints on board, the company being in charge of Elder Daniel Garn. Included in the company were seven ex-presidents of the conferences, namely, Abraham Merchant, Robert Menzies, Job Smith, John T. Hardy, John A. Albiston, L. V. Long, and Graham Duglas. The "Windermere" arrived at New Orleans on April 23, 1854. During the voyage contrary winds were encountered, arising at times to heavy gales, but at the end of five weeks a favorable wind set in and the ship made 1000 miles in four days. After fifteen days sailing from Liverpool, England, the small pox broke out on board and spread rapidly as the vessel approached the tropics, until 37 passengers and two of the crew were attacked, but at the crisis the malady was suddenly checked in answer to prayer. Six marriages were solemnized on board, and six births and ten deaths occurred. On the morning after arriving at New Orleans, eleven persons suffering with smallpox were sent to Luzenburg Hospital, agreeable to order from the health officers at the port; Elder Long and five others were ~elected to remain at New Orleans to attend the sick until they were sufficiently recovered to go on forward to the rest of the Company. They continued their journey from New Orleans on April 27th on board steamship, they arrived at St. Louis a few days later, from here they continued on to Kansas City. The following is taken from the biography of William Wattson Burton, found in the Latter-Day Saint Encyclopedia, Vol. 1 February the 28, 1854, I sailed on ship "Widermire" from Liverpool for New Orleans. We were eight weeks and five days on the way, and encountered heavy storms. On the 18th of March, we were in the same latitude that we were on the eighth. The weather was very rough. The captain of the vessel came to Elder Daniel Garns, who presided over the Saints, and said, "Mr. Garns, I have done all I can for the vessel, and I am afraid that it cannot stand this sea. We are in great danger. I don't know whether there is a God or not, your people say there is. Now if there is a God and he can hear you, you had better talk to him. It was early in the morning. A 'fast had been decided on, and a prayer meeting held. At ten a.m. the storm abated a little, enough to make us feel out of danger, but continued in considerable force until the 18th. On the fourteenth of March the small pox broke out. There were forty cases on board and 13 funerals took place between Liverpool and Orleans. On the 17th the ship caught fire under the cooking gallery, great excitement prevailed until the fire was extinguished. On the 27th the provisions and water supply failed and from that time on until we reached New Orleans April 23, 1854, our ration was one sea biscuit a day. We had no new cases of smallpox after leaving New Orleans, but was afflicted with Cholera which proved fatal to many from that time until June 19, when we commenced our journey over the plains from our campground near Kansas City. We arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah, September 24, 1854. (THE CHURCH CHRONOLOGY SAYS OF SHIP "WIDERMERE") Many died on board from small pox. It also gives Sunday Oct. 1, 1854 as the day Elder Daniel Garn's company of emigrating saints, including the Germans, arrived in Great Salt Lake. On the Parish Register Film No. 043386, Gudum, Aalborg, Denmark, I found the name of the house all the children born except Peter -- WISNMOSEHUSENEI Peter born in house VIDMOSCHUSENE. Found on this film where the two children died, Neils and Peter and when they were buried at Gudum. On this Parish record it gives the date of birth of Hedvig Sophie Jensen as B. 21 September 1811. On the Emigration record it give her birth 21 September 1805. Film Emig. Scan. Mission 1853-86 Film 025696. They first belonged to the Luthern church. A few of the Danish words ~ Ant County Aalborg Herred means district Fleskum Sogn is the Parish (town) Gudum On the census record they are filed by Amt. Herred then Sogn Baptisms dobt (spelling in Danish) fgaard farm Confirmations confirmerede dbreng boy Marriages copulerede dotore daughter Burials afangliste or expunctions Death dode Birth fodt

Ship Winderemere Account

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Voyage of the Ship Windermere Condensed from W. W. Burton’s Account Note: This is from a copy made on March 23, 1944, from the British Mission records of 1854 by Evelyn A. Sessions. It is of interest to the Sterrett family because among the passengers of the ship Windermere were George Benjamin Craner, 54, and his wife Elizabeth West Craner, 56, and his children: Harriet, 20 (who later married Alexander Harris and was the mother of Emma Arminta Harris Sterrett); Ann, 15; John 11; and Martha 9. Emma Arminta Harris Sterrett is the maternal grandmother of H. Clay Gorton. On Wednesday, February 22, 1854, the ship Windermere sailed from Liverpool with 460 passengers. As the vessel started in motion, the songs of Zion, blending in soul-inspiring harmony, thrilled the souls of the passengers and their many friends standing on the shore gazing at the departed vessel, shouting farewell, goodbye with eyes streaming with tears. Doubtless they were recalling that only the night before seven vessels, with all on board, went down in the depths of the channel. As the land disappeared in the distance the sweet singing ceased and many began to feel sick. About 8 p.m. the first day at sea, an old gentleman named Squires died. All that night the wind howled fiercely; the sea was rough; the ship was driven from its course towards the Isle of Atan. About 11 p.m. off Holly Head, which is a most dangerous point and the scene of frequent shipwrecks, was passed. On the morning of the 23rd Father Squires, who died the night before, was thrown overboard. The sea was still rough and the wind was blowing. During this day the Windermere sailed by the remains of a wrecked vessel. Masts, sails and other fragments were floating around. Likely, a few hours previous many despairing souls had tenaciously clung to these same objects for relief that never came. All had been consigned to a watery grave for no signs of life remained and the rolling waves swept over the bodies while the wind howled its tribute for the dead. Some were now beginning to recover from sea sickness, but many were still ill, and some confined to their berths. About this time flying fishes were seen which would rise from the water and fly a short distance and drop into the water again. Life on the Windermere was growing monotonous, for its accommodations were poor for so many passengers, and then it did not sail like the ocean steamers now do when propelled by steam. The Windermere was eight weeks, four nights, and five days sailing from Liverpool to New Orleans, which can now be made in six or seven days. We were on the Atlantic Ocean about seven weeks without seeing land. On the 12th day of March, from 7 to 8 in the morning, an exceedingly fierce storm arose. The wind roared like one of our mountain winds, the masts cracked and the sails were cut in pieces. The captain of the Windermere expressed fears that the ship could not stand so heavy a sea, and in speaking with Daniel Garn, the president of the Saints on board, said, "I am afraid the ship cannot stand this storm, Mr. Garn, if there be a God, as your people say there is, you had better talk to Him if He will hear you. I have done all that I can for the ship and I am afraid with all that can be done she will go down." Elder Garn went to the Elders, who presided over the nine wards in the ship, and requested them to get all the saints on board and to fast, and call a prayer meeting to be held in each ward at 10 a.m. and pray that they might be delivered from the danger. The waves were lashed with white foam, the storm continued in all its fury, but precisely at 10 a.m. the prayer meeting commenced and such a prayer meeting few have ever seen. The ship rolled from side to side. On one side the Saints were hanging by their hands, and the other they were standing on their heads. Then the ship would roll on the other side which would reverse their positions. About this time the large boxes which were tied with ropes under the berths broke loose with pots, pans and kettles and rolled with terrible force on each side of the vessel. Although the prayers were fervent and earnest, as the pleadings of poor souls brought face to face with danger and death, they ceased their prayers to watch and dodge the untied boxes, and great confusion prevailed for some time. The wind roared like a hurricane. Sail after sail was torn to shreds and lost. The waves were very large and as far as the eye could see, seemed to be one angry mass of rolling white foam. The hatches were fastened down. This awful storm lasted about 18 hours, then abated a little, but it was stormy from the 8th of March until the 18th. Observation taken by the quadrant showed that the ship was in the same latitude as it was on the 8th. On the 14th of March, which was two days after this terrible storm, smallpox broke out. Of the three sisters, one was taken down with it. She had a light attack and recovered, but her two sisters then came down with it and both died, and after that 37 others, 40 in all, came down with it. Three days after the breaking out of smallpox, the ship took fire under the cooking galley. At this time we had not seen land for three weeks or more; when the cry of "Fire! The ship is on fire," rang throughout the vessel, and wild excitement and consternation prevailed everywhere. The sailors plied water freely, all the water buckets on board were brought into use and soon the fire was under control. When the last of the three sisters, who took smallpox, died it was evening. W. W. Burton thought he would get a good place from which to see the body thrown overboard; so he got outside the vessel and seated himself on the ledge extending out from the deck, placing each arm around a rope that led to the rigging. His feet were hanging over the ocean and the ship was sailing about at 10 knots. By this time darkness was fast setting in, but here he sat waiting to get a good view when the corpse would be thrown into the watery grave, where some said sharks were constantly following for prey. Brother Burton went to sleep and the funeral passed without his knowledge. The sound of feet walking on the deck aroused him from his slumber. A chill ran through him; his hair almost stood on end when he sensed his condition. Here he had been asleep, his feet were hanging off the side of the vessel which was rocking to and fro. He wondered how he had escaped falling overboard. It was now totally dark. He climbed into the ship and resolved never to expose himself so again. About this time the stench of the smallpox was fearful in every part of the vessel. Emma Brooks was the name of the young lady just thrown overboard. Her sister Fanny had died the same day about half past one o’clock p.m., and was also thrown overboard about two o’clock. The funeral services were very impressive; a funeral at sea is the most melancholy and solemn scene perhaps ever witnessed, especially when the sea is calm. A stillness like that of death prevailed with us while an old sailor, at intervals, would imitate the doleful tolling of the bell of some old church, such as heard in some parts of England. Funerals were becoming frequent. About the time the Windermere had been about six weeks out of Liverpool and the passengers had never seen land from the time they had entered the Atlantic. The days were generally mild and the weather very pleasant. The sun set and the bright, pale moon seemed to be straight above our heads. On the 8th day of April we came in sight of the Island of Cuba. On this day, about 10 a.m., a young man named Dee, died of smallpox. At the time of his death the wind had ceased blowing, not a ripple upon the waters. The sea appeared bright and clear, and seemed as smooth as a sea of glass. The young man that had just died was sewed up in a white blanket and at the feet was placed a heavy weight of coal. A plank was then placed with one end resting in the porthole in the side of the ship and other near the main hatchway. The body was then placed on this plank. The doleful tolling of the bell began. Elder McGhee made a brief address suitable for the occasion and offered a short prayer, after which the body and bedding of the young man were thrown overboard. The ship was standing perfectly still and the body could be seen sinking in the water until it appeared no longer than a person’s hand. Some thought it was seen sinking for a full 15 minutes, others still longer; some said a half hour. The passengers of the Windermere had passed through a terrible storm, the panic created by the ship taking fire, their number decreased by smallpox, still another fearful calamity threatened them. The fresh water supply was getting short, and the store of provisions was falling. The passengers were limited to one hard, small sea biscuit for a day’s rations. The Captain sent some sailors in a small boat to intercept a ship that was passing in the hopes of getting more provisions, but they failed. The Windermere now passed the western points of the Island of Cuba. The passengers had a good view of the lighthouse located on the most western point. The Gulf of Mexico was before them. The Gulf Stream flowed in like a vast river. Just think of this stream 500 miles across, very deep and constantly flowing. On the morning of the 20th of April the ship entered the mouth of the Mississippi River. The passengers were more glad to look upon the plantations of orange groves that bordered the banks of the river than the great strong surging waves of the Atlantic which they had left behind them. Sometimes the Negroes would call from the shore and bid the emigrants welcome. The Windermere set sail 22nd of February 1854 from Liverpool, England, arrived at New Orleans 23 April, 1954. During the voyage winds were encountered, arising at times to heavy gales. But at the end of five weeks favorable winds set in and the ship made 1,000 miles in four days. Six marriages were solemnized on board, six births and 10 deaths occurred. Millennial Star, Vol. 16, pp. 140, 193, 345, 477 Church Emigration. Vol. 2 p. 185—1868 Of the Craner family who were on this ship, the father, George Benjamin Craner, died of Cholera while crossing the plains to Salt Lake City. He was buried in the same grave along with a young girl and a child. Because the people were dying so fast, they didn’t have time to dig enough graves.

Journal Accounts of the Darwin Richardson Wagon Train

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Darwin Richardson Company Albiston, Elizabeth Mellor 42 27 February 1812 18 August 1879 Albiston, John 12 7 February 1842 9 November 1915 Albiston, John 40 4 April 1814 2 April 1891 Albiston, Joseph A. 9 7 July 1844 11 May 1906 ** Arrivals, Immigration &c. Elder Samuel W. Richards, from Liverpool, and Thomas S. Williams, of the firm of J. M. Horner & Co. arrived August 26th, p.m. Elder Richards left Liverpool on the 8th of July, per steamer Niagara, and landed in Boston on the 20th of the same month. Proceeded to St. Louis by rail, via Albany, Niagara Falls, Detroit, and Chicago, where he arrived on the 25th. Left St. Louis same day on board the Polar Star for Weston, where he arrived early in the morning of the 29th of July. Left Weston and Fort Leavenworth in the afternoon of the 1st of August, in company with Thomas S. Williams, George Halladay [Halliday], and W. S. G. dbey [Godbe], for Great Salt Lake City, where he arrived on the 26th of August, in good health and fine spirits, having performed the entire journey from Liverpool to G. S. L. City in 40 days, and in less than 43 days traveling time. The distance from Fort Leavenworth was made in 252 hours, 25 minutes of traveling time. Br. Field and company on the 14th inst., were camped about three miles above Laramie. Elders James Brown, Job Smith, and Darwin Richardson were camped with their companies near Scott's Bluffs, on the 13th inst. Elder Olson, and the Danish Saints, with about 70 wagons, were camped near Chimney Rock on the 12th instant. Elder Daniel Garn, with a company of about 10 wagons, was camped about 30 miles above Ash Hollow on the 11 inst. Elder Ira Eldredge and company were camped about 15 miles below the crossing of the South Fork of the Platte, on the 10th inst. Elders Win.Empy, Durr P. [Dorr Purdy] Curtiss, Robert Campbell, and William Taylor with the rear companies of migration were supposed to be crossing the Big Blue, about 160 miles below Fort Kearney, on the 4th inst. The companies were generally well, and in fine spirits. The brethren who have been called upon to furnish aid to their brethren on the route will see by the above, and by the letter published in this number from br. Pratt and others, that much assistance in men, teams, and provisions will be necessary to enable those now far back on the plains to arrive in anything like comfortable season; hence it is expected that they will duly realize their relative position and circumstances, and promptly, and efficiently respond to the call of the First Presidency, thro' the Bishops, to send back sufficient aid to roll all up in a good style and season. Aside from the counsel and requirements of the First Presidency on this subject, and aside from brotherly kindness, and in addition to the commandment of doing unto others as we would they should do unto us, strict economy and worldly-mindedness indicate the good policy of a speedy and liberal turn out. For we are all one temporally as well as spiritually, literally as well as figuratively, or we are not what we profess to be, and shall not attain to what we desire, and are looking for. And if we are not one, the sooner we begin to act upon those principles calculated to make us one, the sooner we will be prepared for the blessings promised to the faithful. In addition to the assistance required of you by your bishops, it will be well for those who know they have friends, or relatives on the road to cast in their help according to their ability, for which they will in no wise lose their reward, and confer the additional blessing of making the heart glad, by evincing a kindly sympathy for those who are winding their weary way over a dreary waste to the present home of the saints. Elders Orson Pratt, Horace S. Eldredge, Frederick Kesler, and George Halladay [Halliday] arrived in good health and spirits on the afternoon of the 27th.--The two last named from a short church business trip to St. Louis; Elder Pratt from his mission to Washington and Presidency over the saints in the States east of the Rocky Mountains, and br. Eldredge from the presidency over the Branch at St. Louis. ************* When we got off the boat we were taken in vehicles out to the edge of St. Louis to McFee's camp ground, where all the saints were camped, preparatory to going to Utah. Father bought all the camp outfit and provisions to start on our journey but it was six weeks before we started. The families of saints father had brought were all to go to Utah in what they called the ten pound company and then settle with father later. We went in an independent company, or a company that furnished themselves. We had in our outfit to travel across the plains 2 wagons, 12 herd [head] of oxen, 1 yoke of cows and a beautiful riding mare, saddle etc. We had two teamsters. We had all kinds of provisions: bacon, hams, flour, crackers, and everything to eat one would wish. We even had a churn and used to put the milk from the cows in the churn in the morning in the wagon and by night we would have butter. We were clothed comfortable and had plenty of good bedding. I think it was about the first week in July when we started across the great plains. The captain of our company was Captain [Darwin] Richardson. There were 40 wagons, three and four families to a wagon. They had to take turns riding part way and walking part way across the plains. I will say that before we started cholera broke out and several hundred died. It still continued and many died (mostly young men) while on our journey. Our company would start first, early in the norming [morning] and we would travel until towards night, when they would find a suitable camping place, where the cattle would be corraled, by the wagons forming a circle on the outside, and the cattle within. Buffalo chip was the fuel. Campfires built, supper prepared, have prayers, sing and retire. The heat was very oppressive and we would all get very tired, footsore and weary. We always stopped over Sunday where we would have worship and have a glorious time as we had a number of good musicians in our company, who had brought their musical instruments with them. We saw lots of deer, antelope and buffalo, a few were killed. Also saw a few mountain sheep. The indians were our deread [dread] as there were so many of them and they were all on the warpath and we had to be so careful for fear they would kill us. One day we came upon a large number in Ish [Ash] Hollow, of Sioux Indians, we were very frightened of them. They were on their way to war with another tribe. My father gave them a large barrel of crackers and all the company gave them something and we got past them in peace. I had never seen an indian before. I was frightened of the indians and of the panthers roar at night. The loneliness of the plains nearly drove me wild. Mother and the children were like me and we were wishing every day we could reach our destination that night. There were a great many deaths in our company. We just had to sew the corpse in a sheet or blanket, dig a deep hole and bury them and go on. Oh, the trials the saints endured no tongue can tell, and no pen can write the suffering. Mother [Priscilla Merriman Lewis] was confined at Ash Hollow. Dr. Richardson waited on her. A baby boy was born to her and he was named John Samuel Lewis. She did fine. My sister Mary [Lewis] had the mountain fever and nearly died. I was well during the whole journey and so were the other children. How we did rejoice after many weeks of travel we arrived on the big mountain and could look down on the Great Salt Lake and the Salt Lake Valley. We sung the songs of Zion in earnest and gave up thanks to God that he had watched over us and we were permitted to behold the land of Zion. We came through Emmigration Canyon through the valley and on to the public square, where we camped with hundreds of others for a few weeks until we could get located. How little Salt Lake City seemed to us. The square was full of people to welcome us in. Brigham Young was there first and gave us a hearty welcome. Some were expecting their loved ones in the company and I tell you it was a grand reunion, a time of rejoicing together. I was glad our journey was ended, but I was very lonesome for awhile. We had been 3 months on the road and arrived in Salt Lake Sept. 30, 1854, just in time to attend the great October conference of the Saints, where we had a glorious time. ******* Camp one mile from Kansas Prest Brigham Young Dear Bro Knowing that you ever have a deep and abiding interest in the gathering of the Saints I wish to give you a brief acct. of the General Emigration this season The Danish Company under the presidency of H[ans]. P[eter]. Olsen rolled out on the plains a few days ago, but in consequence of heavy rains & being heavy laden, they are remaining at Big Blue a few miles out on the Prairie unable to proceed further. The President of the company has returned with a note from Elder Orson Pratt stating that I must supply them with what oxen the[y] wan t I take security upon their teams for the [-], which has been done. A company of fifty wagons under the Presidency of Elder Job Smith started out—last—Saturday Dr. Darwin Richardson will start with thrity two wagons early in the morning W[illiam] F[urlsbury] Carter will start one day behind him with a company of about 32 wagons I may possibly add to these companies before they start The latter two companies are P[erpetual] E[emigrating] Fund. The companies have been detained three weeks longer than necessary for the want of wagons— In consequence of the immense emigration to California & Salt Lake every thing is very high this season. Oxen range from 75 to $110.00 from [for] yoke and cows from 25 to $40.00 per head. The price of wagons in St. Louis is $67.00 and the freightage to Kansas ranges from 6 to $12.00 per wagon. The cause of this variation is the various stages of the river. On acct of the high prices of cattle &c this season the Independents have been proportionally made to depend upon the P E Fund for means to complet their outfits the [- -] the third having far overshot their expectations. Many of them have expressed that they would much rather have come out by the fund as it would have relieved them of much anxiety of mind By communication from Elder Orson Pratt for Elder Daniel Cairns we are informed that a council was held in St. Louis to examine the state of the Emigration generally, in which it was decided that more should receive their outfit at St. Louis after the 25th inst on acct. of the late arrival of the companies and some having not yet arrived. There has been considerable mortality among the Saints this season about 200 have died belonging to the aforesaid companies Elder William Taylor has arrived at Kansas with part of another company the [-] of which are coming up the river.— Elder Daniel Cairns who is here assisting me will take the latter over the plains as soon as we can get them organized— In great rush I subscribe myself your [-] William Empey per Charles Evans ***** The Shrewsbury Branch was noted for young men and young Women Zealous in the good work of God, it soon became a Conference with Joseph W Young from Salt Lake Presiding – I laboured for near 6 years faithfully in this conference & was its secretary when I left in 1854 – having saved means by the help of God I was enabled to emigrate in March 1854[.] (David James preceeded me in 1853) 3 months before I left I married one of the sisters by the name of Elizabeth Howells, a faithful sister in the church – We set Sail on the 12th of March 1854 and landed at new orleans on 3rd of May 1854 – We had severe storms in the Irish Channel tossed about for 8 days – We sailed on a Ship (American) called the John M Wood – 300 passingers I think – from new orleans to saint Louis on Steam Boat we had cholera many saints died – was qua[ra]nteened there for some days started again up Missouri river some 400 miles, had cholera again, many saints died, and also at Kansas our fitting out place – in Crossing the plains we lost 33 more. my Wife being one[.] she died at Sweet Water of untimely childbirth. I suffered much with bleeding feet on the journey – arrived Salt Lake Sept 30th 1854 nearly worn out ****** IMMIGRATION. – On the 29th November, Captain James Brown and company with 42 wagons, on the 30th, Dr. Darwin Richardson and company with 40 wagons, and on the 1st of October, Elder Daniel Garn and company with 38 wagons, arrived in this city in good condition and camped on Union Square. The Church Train is now coming in. Elder Robert Campbell, in the rear companies, writes to Govenor Young from Fort Kearney, Aug. 21, that their cattle are fat, the feed and roads good, and that Bro. [William] Emp[e]y and the rear company were only a few days behind them. They were making good headway, and will doubtless be able to escape the inclement weather, as all are probably this side of the South Pass, and perhaps this side of Green river. ***** Immigration, Oct. 3. On the 29th ult. Captain James Brown and company with 42 wagons, on the 30th Dr. Darwin Richardson and company with 40 wagons, and on the 1st inst. Elder Daniel Garn and company with 38 wagons, arrived in this city, in good condition, and are camped on Union Square. The Church Train is now coming in. Elder Robert Campbell, in the rear companies, writes to Governor Young from Fort Kearney, August 21, that their cattle are fat, the feed and roads good, and that bro: Empy [Empey] and the rear company were only a few days behind them. They were making good headway, and will doubtless be able to escape inclement weather, as all are probably now this side of the South Pass, and perhaps this side of Green River ******* Our trip across the plains to Salt Lake Valley was also marked by very hard times. Many died of cholera. Some children were left fatherless and motherless and were dependent on the care of strangers. I was sick most of the way, owing no doubt to the severity of the journey. We put our trust in our Heavenly Father, and finally arrived in the valley of Salt Lake in the latter part of September, 1854. ******* We arrived at Atchens [Atchison], Kansas and soon arrangements were made for crossing the plains. Cattle, wagons, tents and etc. were bought and the company was organized. William Phelphs President and Dr. Dervin [Darwin] Richardson captain. Companies of 15 to a wagon and tent. We were delayed in Camp about 5 weeks in making arrangements. braking in cattle and etc. as many of the cattle were wild stears and some cows. Our provisions and tents had to be loaded into the wagons, so there was little chance to ride, only in case of sickness. Many women in crossing small streams of water would carry their children on their backs. We would travel from 15 to 20 miles a day or until a suitable place was found to camp. The camps would be formed by placing one wagon behind the other and a correl [corral] would be formed to hold the cattle and tents on the outside and cattle would be taken to feed and guard placed over them and change made at midnight and cattle brought in in the morning. As soon as camp was formed the sisters would go to cooking supper. When supper was over the bugle would sound for prayers which were attended to in each tent. Soon after this another call was made to turn in and lights and fires out. Call would be made in the morning for prayers and for cattle to be brought in and yoked up ready to start out again. We often found Indians whom we found friendly, especially if we had something to give them. We often met large herds of Buffaloes and other wild animals. The buffaloes would be in large herds and sometimes we had to stop until they got out of the way in passing from the river to the bluffs to their range. Our hunters would try to shoot one but with poor success without it was one too old to follow the herd. My friend, Horace Howlett, and I, had a happy time together, we often would seek some lonely spot and offer up our prayer and thanksgiving to our Heavenly Father for His goodness to us in opening up the way for us to gather with the saints. But my brother would rejoice in spirit as his body was very weak. He was very sick with mountain fever and by the time we got to the Little Sandy he died. He was burried at the Sweet Water. We all went to bed tired and sleepy. He lay by my side and in the morning I raised up and laid my hand on his to wake him and found him dead. There was one other brother died the same night and was burried at the same time and place. We traveled on from day to day and finally arrived in Salt Lake September 30th 1854. We were met by many of the brothers and sisters who brought us many things to eat and administer to our comfort, so it made us feel that we had indeed landed in Zion among the people of God. ******* Latest News from our Immigration The Bros. Shepherd and Obray arrived on the 26th inst. express from the church train on the 21st, from whom we learn that the Danish company were on Black's Fork on the 21st; Elder Daniel Garn and company seven miles this side of Fort Bridger on the 22nd. Dr. Richardson and company were west of the summit of Bear River Mountain on the 23rd, and Captain James Brown and company were passed in small parties from Cache Cave to Weber River on the 23rd and 25th. Many in Dr. Richardson's company were sick with the scurvy, and 30 had died; otherwise the companies were well, and getting along finely. Bro. Obray was one who went back with a bro. Williams Scott, after the cattle which had stampeded near the crossing of the South Fork of Platte, and he states that they found 50 head of those cattle at Fort Kearney, in the possession of a trader named J. W. Woodard, and some of them yoked to his wagons; that Woodard would not give them up without being paid five dollars a head, and, as they had no money, he agreed to wait at Kearney four or five days until they could go 65 miles further back, and see Elder A. F. Farr on the Little Blue, but left the same day, taking all the cattle with him, and going down the Platte directly out of the line of our rear immigration. T. S. Williams of the firm of J. M. Horner and Co. informs us that this Woodard is partner in the firm of Marshal, Woodard and Co. who have a store, and keep the post office at Unionville, on the Big Blue; if so, there may yet be a chance of getting those cattle, which will reduce the stampede loss to about 20 head; and we may be able to learn the reason of the strange (to say the least) conduct of Mr. Woodard towards women and children on the dreary plains, far from their destination and with weak teams at a late season of the year. Bro. Obray brings no news from J. M. Horner's train, in charge of A. F. Farr, later than the 13th of August, when they were 65 miles beyond Fort Kearney; and knows nothing about any of our companies back of the church train. In addition to the news of the fight between U. S. troops and the Sioux, contained in the letter from Elder Benson to the Presidency, and published in connection, we learn from bro. Obray that a lame cow strayed from the loose herd of the Danish company into a Sioux camp, where they were merry making, and they killed and eat her. Upon requisition of Lieutenant Gratten, the chief proffered to pay for the cow, but the person who killed her was demanded, and being sent for by the chief, said he did not want to be given up, but would relinquish his and his family's share of the annuity money, then due, in payment for the cow; which being refused, firing began on the part of the troops. The Sioux have not interfered with the emigration and have shown no disposition to do so, and there were no Mormons at the fight. Pacific Creek, 20th Sept. 1854 President Brigham Young and Council: Dear Brethren,--Our circumstances and situation are as good as could be expected, considering what this camp has had to encounter. We have travelled with our heavy loads and weak teams beyond all human calculation. There has been trouble between the soldiers and the Sioux at Laramie, 31 soldiers being killed. I was on the ground the third day after it was done. The whole country is quite in an excitement, the traders fleeing in all directions, and expecting a general war. All this happened through an unwise move of lieutenant Gratten and the interpreter. The chief offered to settle the question on fair terms, but the officer would not, and commenced firing on the Indians. The cannon was elevated too high, and only clipped the tops of the lodge poles; the old chief and his brother were wounded, and have since died. Before the troops had time to reload, they were all shot down. On the 18th we met Captain Blackburn, Casper Young and their parties to help up the trains. We were glad to see them all well. Brother H. S. Eldridge and the brethren who came with him, with the mule teams, start for the Valley this morning; the rest of us will come as soon as possible. E. T. BENSON. ******* We left that camp about the last of June with about fifty wagons and ten persons in a wagon, although there was eleven persons in our wagon. Doctor Darwin Richardson was our Captain, a very good man, he was returning to his home in the 14 th ward from a m[i]ssion. We started with two yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows. One of the yoke of oxen was Texas cattle, and very wild, with two long sharp horns. When we first yoked them up, one of them knocked a hole in my upper lip and we had a great time with them until they were thoroughly broke, and then they were not worth much. We had a tent to each wagon, where the most of us slept at night. Our passengers was seven women, and four men, the women all wanted to ride at once. The Captain gave me charge of the wagon and to stop all disputed with the women about riding, I used to allow two of them to ride twenty minutes at a time and we had a watch to keep time. Mrs. Hughes used to wash my clothes and cook for us, so she rode a little more. William Hughes, John Tripp and myself took turns driving; the other man was too old to do anything. On the whole, we got along very well. As we come near Fort Kearney, we began to see signs of buffalo that we had heard so much about. About four miles West of the Fort we seen about ten that the men at the Fort had killed a few days before. They were strange looking animals to me as they lay there swelled up in the hot sun, but I soon after became familiar with such sights as we were now getting into the buffalo country, and as we come into the Platte Valley the buffalo trails were paths about three feet wide, and sometimes eighteen inches deep. These paths would lead to and from the river. Sometimes we have seen several herds of buffalo at the same time and some of them would seem to extend for miles in length and breadth and the plains would appear black with them. Sometimes they would come and run right through our train. One day Tripp and I come very near catching a young calf. Some of our men shot a number of them, but I did not like the meat so well as our beef. The Pawnee Indians bothered us some, they would come and demand presents from us for traveling through their country. After we left them we come into the country of the Cheyenne Indians. I have a vivid recollection of how they looked on their horses and dressed for mischief. We camped one day at noon in a good place and the Captain said he would stay there for the day and wash. The cattle was turned out with no one to watch them. We had been camped an hour or more and the Captain noticed that the cattle were straying off into the low foot hills, and wished me to run and turn them back as he was afraid that the Indians were watching to run them off and that he would send some more to help me. So I ran off alone with nothing but a small whip in my hand. I found that the cattle, some of them had got over among the low hills, and when I looked back to the camp which was a mile off, I could just see two or three men starting out to help me, so I went on among the hills. They could not see me now from the camp nor I could not see the camp. After running among the hills for some time I found about twelve of them in a bunch together, and as I ran around to turn them back there were six Cheyenne Indians on their horses looking at me and talking to each other. I seemed to know in a moment what they were after, that was that they intended to run them cattle off and if necessary to shoot me. I think that my hair must have stood on end. When I saw them I felt very much frightened but I thought I would not let them see it. So I put on as bold a front as I could and commenced hollering to the cattle and turned them back, and in coming back we passed right close to the Indians who had come down so that I would have to pass close to them. As I passed I looked at them and said, "How, how", they grunted out something but I did not know what it meant, and I was very thankful when I got out of the hills with the cattle all safe. When I got back to the camp the Captain said that I had a very narrow escape, and that he should not have sent me alone. But there were none of us that throught [thought] that the cattle had strayed so far. We found buffalo all the way up the Platte valley for over three hundred miles. There were some days we would estimate that we had seen over ten thousand buffalo. Some days we would not see any. Our cattle could sometimes show signes of being frightened, which if not checked would have caused us a great deal of damage, as when they got that way they would run sometimes in all directions when they are hitched up to the wagons although ours did not. It was the rule in our camp to have a night guard to guard the cattle by night and all the men had to take their turns in this labor. There were six at a time and we were relieved after four hours. One night I was out guarding and it was raining and very dark, all at once the cattle stampeded[.] I thought they were coming towards me so I ran on one side and they rushed past where I stood, but they ran over one man and hurt him bad and it was late the next day before we found them all. Some of them were found twelve miles off, so we did not move that day. When we came near Chimney rock we could see it for three days before we came opposite it. We camped as I thought about two miles from it, so I thought that I would get up early and go and see it before breakfast, so I started early the next morning, as soon as it was light. I walked and ran and I must have been about four hours before I got there and I found it so different from what I expected that I was angry with myself for coming so far to see nothing but a pile of gravel in layers, one above another, about sixty feet high. It was a lonely quiet place, I did not stop long, but started back to find the camp, and it took me until noon before I caught up with it and I was almost dead with thirst. When about six miles east from Fort Laramie, we came to a very large camp of Sioux Indians. Some of our people said there were two thousand of them. They were camped in a fine meadow, some of them were horse racing and as our train passed along the road they stood on both sides of us. They were a fine looking lot of people, great tall fellows and clean looking squaws, but they did not molest us so we passed on and staid at the Fort a little time, when we went on and camped about six or eight miles West of the fort and crossed the North Platte and camped near the river. Soon after we camped a man rode up and said the Indians had killed two soldiers that had been sent to their camp on some business and that they intended to attack us. There was a large Danish company just behind us and we were afraid they would attack them before they caught up to us but we soon seen the Danes coming and we were very glad. The poor fellows were in a great hurry as they understood the Indians were coming. So we made a large corral with the two companies. That is we made a circle with our wagons and chained them together, so that our cattle could be safe on the inside. We got all the old guns and cleaned them and sharpened our knives expecting the Indians any minute, but they did not come. During the night we had several parties come and beg to be allowed to stay with us. I remember a small party with two wagons with horse teams who were going to Oregon. They came after night and I heard them say, "For God's sake Mr. Richardson give us shelter for the Indians are after us". We also had a mountaineer that stayed with us and traveled over a week, but we were not molested nor did not see any more of the Indians. But the Indians did attack Fort Laramie and killed a number of the soldiers. Soon after this we got into the Sweet-water country and our cattle began to fail and die. When we came to the Devils Gate, I with two or three others thought that we would travel down through the gorge. We had a rough time but we were paid for it by what we saw. The mountain appeared to have been split open. It is composed of red granite and a stream of water run through it about it, about the size of City creek in the Spring. With large rough boulders laying in the bottom and one side of the gorge looked as if it had been broken from the other. We got through all right and met the teams who had gone around by the road. Before we got to the City our food become scarce and we were met by some teams with flour from the valley which was a great help to us. We arrived in Salt Lake City on the thirteenth day of September and camped on Union Square, where the University building now stands. ***** I refer Particularly in crossing the plains[.] We was in a company w[h]ere Dr. Darwin Richardson was Captain. if all could have been managed according to his desires. I wish not complain, But aplaud him as Captain of our company while crossing the plains. But this was not the case, for which I felt sorry very heart felt to Bleed, many times in crossing the plains. Because of mean saints, this is and will be long remembered by him who now writes. for I ever feel to sustain good men especially under the above circumstances. while on this Journey on plains my wife gave Birth to a son of 7 months & 2 weeks, an untimely Birth, owing a great deal to distressed circumstances, & there seemed to be no fiew hearts of pity in & immediately around me. in 12 days the childs Mother held a Dead child in her Lap, not knowing it was dead. in 8 days after the Mother died being the 7 Day of Sept. Thursday, 1854[.] the child was born Augt 17 & Died on the 29, 1854. the Mother was Buried on a left hand cut of road, (travelling West) just the East side of the South Pass so called, on the upper side of the road at the Enterance of the Road about 270 miles or so from Salt L City. w[h]ere the child was Buried I cannot recollect. only West of Fort Larimie [Laramie]. some were Between there & indepenance [Independence] Rock. I was my much troubled with sore feet on this Journey, which made the matter more Difficult. We emigrated under the arangments of the 13 companys arangment so called, & finally crossing the plains it was ok one thing, church trains or Emigrating Compy. I arived in Great Salt Lake city Sept 30 – 1854 ******* We emigrated through the Perpetual Emigration Fund from Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales. We arrived at Salt Lake City, September 30, 1854, and camped with the wagon train in Emigration Square. I went with my mother to Bishop Hunter's Office to get food supplies. He was very kind and furnished the necessary provisions. President Young was very thoughtful in providing for the emigrants. Even apple pies, chicken stew and other dainties were furnished by the good saints of Great Salt Lake City. Several wagons loaded with new potatoes and other provisions had been sent out from the valley to meet our train, as it came along by the Sweetwater of Devil's Gate. We had fresh buffalo meat and fish caught in the Platte but it was a rare treat to get the potatoes. There were about a hundred wagons in the train.

Ship Windermere Account by W J Wright

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Journal of W. J. Wright More Sharing Services Sept. 1870 - I gave up my work in England to leave that county for America. Left home on the 6th and arrived in Liverpool about 11 o'clock. Got on board the steamship Idaho about 10 o'clock at night. On the Birkenhead side of the Mersey. September 7th we left the docks and got in the river before noon. I went onshore from the steamer to purchase a few items. As soon as I got back we passed the doctor. Directly after they raised the anchor and we moved out steadily until we got into full steam. All went well the first night. [p.1] Sept. 8th - Reached Queenstown about past two o'clock took on passengers, mail, etc., and left in a few minutes. Weather fine until evening, when it began to look stormy. We experienced a rough night. Sept. 9th - The engine broke and caused a delay of 8 hours. I began to be sick today. The vessel rocked terribly. Sept. 10th - My sickness left me and I began to feel well. Sunday, Sept. 11th - Today we had fine weather. Passed the "S.S. City of Dublin" in the afternoon. We had our first meeting on board which was addressed by F. [Frank] H. Hyde, George Romney, W. W. Taylor, John S. Lewis, John Albiston, and Levi W. Richards. After which Brothers W. Cooper, Davis, and myself were appointed to look [p.2] after the company and see that things were kept in order. We had prayers at night. All went well. 12 - The morning fine and pleasant. Good sailing. Passed a small ship in the forenoon. In the afternoon the wind rose a little but in our favor. It continued to increase. Another vessel hove insight. The night set in wet and stormy, but all went well. 13 - Morning rather wet but calm. Later the wind increased. The sun shone brightly with storms at intervals, the ship rolling heavily. In the afternoon the sea rose to mountains. Had to go below before supper. 14 - The weather still continued rough. [p.3] The ship pitching heavily. A child died among the gentile passengers. In the afternoon a ship came in sight which looked as if they had no control of it. The weather still continued rough. Had to keep down all day. 15 - Morning dull with rain. The sea still rolling heavily. The wind changed to the northwest not able to get out. The afternoon turned out fine and the sea got calm, and we began to make more headway. Passed a small schooner sailing west in the evening. We sighted another vessel. The night fine and calm. All went on fine. 16 - Morning foggy. The whistle had to be sounded for a long time. The sun got out and the afternoon was fine [p.4] and pleasant. Saw a pair of sharks this morning. The weather continued fine throughout the day. We sighted a vessel in the afternoon. 17 - Morning dull but calm. About ten the mist cleared away. On looking around I found out that the storm we had weathered had been more severe then I had realized. The sea having swept off the railings at the stern of the vessel and damaged the hatchway of the forepart of the ship. Today the sea is a calm as can be looking like a fish pond in the afternoon. The engine broke again and delayed us 3 hours. After this they could only work one part of the engine. The weather being fine, we made pretty good progress, but nothing like we should had, [if] all been right. The [weather] kept clear and fine. [p.5] 18 - The morning was very misty but still calm. Later the mist cleared up and was fine. We were inside of some vessels said to be French Man of War vessels. The climate feels to be getting warmer and we all feel fine. Making good progress considering our misfortunes with the engine. In the afternoon we had our meeting. The affair passed off well. After meeting, the wind freshened up and the sea got very rough. The wind in our favor. Towards the evening the storm increased and we all had to go down for the night. The ship labored heavily as night came on. The sea got rougher and we got such a tossing that we won't easily forget the waves breaking over the side of the vessel and some of them coming down below. A French steamer passed us today. [p.6] 19 - Morning. About 4 o'clock we had a very heavy sea, but the wind was not so strong. About six the wind rose and we had the roughest time I have seen. It blew like big guns before they could take in the sails. They were torn to shreds. About eight the wind ceased and it kept getting calmer all day, but the [sea] was like mountains. Afternoon the weather cleared up and the sea got smoother all the time. The evening set in fine with all the appearance of a pleasant passage. The rest of the way, twas a little sick tossing in the storm. 20 - Morning 4 a.m. opened fine. The finest morning we have had since we came on board. At half past eight the pilot came on board. We started with a pleasant weather. Afternoon we saw a large sailing ship and lots of small vessels. The weather [p.7] yet continued fine and rather warm. The evening was one of the finest we have seen since we have been on the water with one of the loveliest sunsets that ever I beheld. The stars shown out brightly through the night and the sea calm as could be. 21st - Morning bright and pleasant. The afternoon was rather warm. Everybody out on deck enjoying themselves and getting the morning breeze. Saw what we took to be the first sight of land from the time that we first saw land sights that were new to us kept springing before us all the time. And some of the picturesque scenery I ever saw. The first glimpse of America pleased me in the extreme as we drew near the land the view was more pleasing. The old boat rode [p.8] slowly up the river and dropped her anchor at half past three. In the afternoon we passed the doctor and the cabin passengers and some of the others left the ship, but we stayed on overnight. As it grew late, before our baggage could be hauled upon deck, we had to spend the night as best we could. Most of the folks had thrown their beds. We got little or no sleep. Part of the night we spent on deck watching the steamers plying on the river. This was a real pretty sight with the gas lights of the city. I think the river steamer surpass all I ever saw in England. 22nd - All up and stirring early to have things in readiness to go on shore. The baggage was all got up by six o'clock. Then we had breakfast and went on deck. At seven [p.9] the tug came along side and the customs officers opened the boxes, & c. After this we left the Idaho for Castle Garden. This is a nice place for the emigrants to land as there is every convenience for the passengers. There is no comfort at Liverpool compared with the place. The folks are safe so long as they keep in here. I was well pleased with the arrangements here. [--] here all day after getting the baggage ready for the cars. We got some of the best eatables here that we had tasted for some time. We got a good breakfast on bread and milk. I think the [best] I ever tasted. After our refreshments we went out in the city of New York to find a post office. There is some of the finest building I have seen anywhere. I like the general appearance of the city very much. [p.10] The streets are lively and the vehicles are constructed better for both man and animal. The teamsters looked like gentlemen and have a very different appearance than in England. Their horses have a fine appearance, but they are not so large and heavy as English cart horses. The stores are different from those in England. I could scarcely tell where to find anything that I wanted. The difference in the money was rather awkward to me at first, but I soon got used to it. There is plenty of fruit: apples, peaches, c. But [-] we got tea in Castle Garden and then started for the railroad at five o'clock we got on board the river steamer "Trenton" and was on the cars of the Pennsylvania Central Railroad at 6 o'clock. Thus far the arrangements, proved satisfactory. [p. 11] The train got in motion at half past 7 o'clock and we began to leave the city of New York behind us. I would have liked to pass through it by daylight and have seen the sights. As we ran through the streets, it seemed funny to ride through the open streets in the railroad cars. After we left the lights of the city, we saw nothing, save a few buildings by the side of the road, but could not tell what they were. We all felt sleepy after getting seated in the cars we cared a little for anything else. All well so far on our journey. [p.12] [END OF JOURNAL] BIB: Wright, W. J. Journal (Ms 9888), pp.1-12 (CHL).

Ship Windermere - General Voyage Notes

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes "DEPARTURES. -- The steamship Idaho, Captain Price, left this port, Sept. 7, for New York, with 186 souls of the Saints on board, including the following seven returning elders -- Frank H. Hyde (president of the company), George Romney and Peter Nebeker (his counselors), John Albiston, W. W. Taylor, John S. Lewis, and L. W. Richards, who had been laboring faithfully on missions in this country for periods varying from about one to upwards of three years. Elder Taylor would have been pleased to continue his labors in England until next year, but, as his health was more or less feeble during the whole of his mission, it was considered best that he return home the present season. We rejoice to see the Saints gathering to Zion, but we should regret the departure of faithful elders from their fields of labor in the world, were it not for the thought that after having accomplished their missions here, their presence will be as welcome and they may be as useful at home as abroad. Among the above company were brother Robert Ruck, daughter, and son-in-law, from Preston Candover, Hants. Brother Ruck, if we are rightly informed, has been in the Church 30 years, and, as we understood, was baptized by Elder W. Woodruff. The company had a pleasant, cool, bracing day for the commencement of their ocean journey, but in all probability a breezy time for their night at sea. We wish them a safe, pleasant, and speedy journey to the valleys of Utah. Elders R. F. Neslen, George H. Peterson, and Thomas Howells, of the London, Nottingham, and Bristol Conferences respectively, accompanied parties of Saints from said Conferences, to assist them comfortably on board." MS, 32:37 (Sep. 13, 1870), p.584 "Wed. 7. [Sep. 1870] -- The steamship Idaho sailed from Liverpool, England, with 186 Saints, in charge of Frank H. Hyde. The company arrived at New York Sept. 21st, and at Ogden Oct. 1st." CC, p.84

Ship Windermere - Thomas Read Journal

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Journal of Thomas Read Wednesday February 22nd 1854. Left Liverpool about 6 o'clock a.m., the wind being in our favor. Brother [Phillip] Squires died about eight o'clock p.m. We were driven out of our course and about 10 o'clock p.m. found ourselves near the Isle of Man. About 11 o'clock p.m. we past Holyhead where that awful ship wreck was a few weeks ago. The steam tug left us about 2 o'clock the same afternoon. The pilot remained on board all night. Thursday 23rd. A vessel in sight. The captains spoke to each other. She was bound for [-] Liverpool. One of the boats was towed and the pilot was put on board the same. [p. 1] Brother [Phillip] Squires was a very old man, very asthmatic from [-] London. He was thrown overboard. A few minutes after 7 o'clock a.m. today we went past part of a wreck consisting of two masts &c. It was a distressing sight. We are yet in the Irish Channel. The wind blows a gale, nearly all on board are sick very badly. Today caught a very bad cold with being on deck so long the day before. My throat is very bad. I was sitting on a barrel of meat by the side of the forehold and there was a lather near same and the wind and waves was raging and the ship [-] and she gave [p. 2] a sudden lurch and I goes and my seat with me, right under the lather to the side of the ship and was thrown back again with great violence to the top of the main hatchway and was nearly going backwards down the same, but fortunately caught with my right arm the hand railing that had been put there for the brethren and sisters to go up and down by. Saturday 25th. Fine morning. Making a south westerly course at the rate of eight and a half knots an hour. Passed near the Harbor of Cork about 8 o'clock a.m. Saw a small schooner and steamer about 4 or 5 p.m. We saw a part of Ireland and a rock which stands near the [p. 3] near the [SIC] extremities of the land. Irish Channel about 8 o'clock p.m. We passed Cape Clear and entered into Atlantic Ocean. Monday 27th. Stormy day. About 400 miles from Liverpool. My cold is rather better, my throat is mending very fast. Tuesday 28th. Fine day. First March 1854. Sister Powell was delivered of a stillborn child about 10 o'clock a.m. Am nearly recovered from the effects of the seasickness and the cold that I caught and sailing moderately. Saw two vessels and sailing 10 knots an hour the forepart of the day. 4th Saturday. A fine day. Sailing moderately in the evening. The the [SIC] cooking stove with the [p. 4] violence of the wind and the rolling of the ship gave way and made a tremendous din [meaning noise], for it is a very large and is composed of two ovens and has 3 or 4 boilers. It is about two yards long from one [end] to one [end] and a half broad. It broke loose from its fastening and ran from one side to the other just in proportion to the moving of the ship until we got the steward up with a light when it was made fast with ropes. Sunday 5th. Well this morning. Sailing at 7 knots an hour. Saints generally well. A few of the sailors and passengers were engaged in repairing the cooking stove; therefore, we [p. 5] had to dispense with our cooking till about 3 p.m. 6th Rather high wind, a heavy sea. In the forenoon a little girl died, the daughter of Job Smith, late president of the Bedfordshire Conference. Tuesday 7th. Rather high winds, heavy sea sailing. Wednesday high winds, heavy sea. Sailing in a southern by east course. Thursday 9th. Sailing south at a moderate rate, severely cold. Friday 10th. Through sea lost about two sails. Saturday 11th. Stormy. Sunday 12th. About 11 o'clock a.m. we lost our fore-topmasts staysail. It was torn to pieces. The wind roared like thunder and waves [p. 6] almost as large as mountains rolled on either side. Monday 13th. All last night has been stormy but the storm is now rather abated. It lasted about 18 hours. Our captain despaired of ever seeing land again. Elder Carns [Daniel Garn] said that nothing but the faith and prayers of the Saints could save the ship. About 7 o'clock p.m. the wind began to blow fiercely. Some of our sails were torn up. Tuesday 14th. Had a stormy night. Lost another sail, but the storm is abated. Wednesday 15th. Nothing particular transpired. [p. 7] Thursday 16th. Best day we have had since we left Liverpool. Friday 17th. The morning is cold but wet. Fire broke out under the general cooking stove about 10 a.m. but was soon quieted. Saturday 18th. It is a delightful morning. Many of the Saints are on deck. Sunday 19th This morning the wind blows fiercely. About 4 o'clock p.m. a whale was seen. Monday 20th. Stormy day. About 3 p.m. wind changed instantaneously and caused a great consternation. The ship was stopped immediately and sails turned. Tuesday 21th. Fine morning. Fair wind [p. 8] sailing at the rate of 10 knots an hour. Saw two ships. Wednesday 22th. Rather cold. Sailing from 8 to 10 knots an hour. About 12 a.m. a little child died namely Elan Curl [Ellen Kearl] daughter of James and Ann Curl [Kearl] she was thrown over board about 2 p.m. in latitude 40-15, longitude 45. Thursday 23th. Very cold. Sailing 8 knots an hour in latitude 40-15, longitude 40. Friday 24th Sisters [Sarah] Evans and [Anna] Savage were delivered each of a living child. The former about 10 p.m., the latter 11 p.m. Saturday 25th. High winds & heavy sea. Latitude 30, longitude 47-30. Sunday 26th Fine morning. [p. 9] Had a meeting on deck. It commenced about half past 2 p.m. Elder Jarves [Jarvis], J. [POSSIBLY John] V. Long addressed us in a powerful manner. The captain and mates appeared to enjoy themselves. Monday 27th. Of a calm sea, but rather a dull morning. Saw a ship about 12 o'clock a.m. It was sailing in the same course as we. The Saints are generally well. Tuesday 28. Had a stormy night. The storm subsided about 12 o'clock a.m. In the evening the sea washed over our decks. Wednesday 29th. The wind is rather strong. About 2 o'clock p.m. [p. 10] porpoises were seen. A very heavy shower of rain between 8 and 9 o'clock p.m. Thursday 30th. A still but dull morning. A fair wind. Friday 31st. The sun rose beautifully. Its appearance was like a furnace upon the waters a few of the brethren had a wash about half past 5 o'clock a.m. Stood on the fore bows of the ship while a few of those brethren worked the pump and plugged the water pipe upon them. Saw a Dutch vessel about 4 o'clock p.m. One of the sailors is taken with the smallpox. [p. 11] Saturday April first. Fine morning. Me and some 5 or 6 more of the brethren were on deck about 5 p.m. and to keep up the old charter went to the fore hatchway and shouted down the same and asked the brethren if they was not going to get up and see the whale which caused a great bit of fun we putting the others coats on &c. Bad winds. Sailing 11 knots an hour. Many of the Saints are on deck busy making their tents and wagon covers. Sunday 2nd. Had two meetings on the poop deck. One in the afternoon [p. 12] and one in the evening. Elder Jarvis preached in the afternoon, Elder Long and President Carns [Daniel Garn] in the evening. Had a [-], me and Brother William Burton united together. We found plumbs, the other flower [UNCLEAR], the other which was very nice when done. Sailing at the rate of from 10 to 12 knots an hour. Monday 3rd. There are six or 7 new cases of smallpox according to report. Several are running about without either shoes or stockings. Tuesday April 4th arose about 5 o'clock a.m. a very large fish was seen. In the [p. 13] evening had had [SIC] meeting on the poop deck. Elders [John J.] Hardy, [Robert] Menzies, [Graham] Duglas, [William] McGhie, Albiston, Smith, Carns [Garn] bore testimony to the work. Wednesday 5th. Arose about 4 o'clock a.m. Were in a calm. Near the ship there was not a wave to be seen, while at a distance we saw the waves rolling towards us as a lively breeze moved upon the waters. We watched it till it caught our sails and made our pass more quickly. In the evening had a meeting. Elder Amos Evans and [Thomas] Perks addressed us. And the weather is more hot than ever. I observed in England. Sailing [p. 14] slowly. Thursday April 6th. We celebrated the birthday of the Church. Commenced our meeting about 5 o'clock p.m. Elder Carns [Garn] delivered a discourse. Friday April 7th. Arose about 5 o'clock p.m. Had a bath about 4 p.m. [UNCLEAR]. Nice sailing, about 7 knots an hour. About eight o'clock a.m. were sailing from 8 to 10 knots an hour. In the evening the moon shone perpendicular upon the deck. Several of the young brethren and sisters play at what is commonly the kissing ring. Saturday 8th. About 5 o'clock a.m. while bathing we discovered the island of Santo Domingo which is one of the West Indies Islands [p. 15] and is inhabited by the blacks. Sailed along its coast a little after 12 o'clock a.m. Saw a large fish. It appeared to be like a bow and was a deep red. About 4 o'clock p.m. a little boy died whose name is David, soon after which he was thrown overboard. About 5 p.m. we sailed past a brig. Sunday April 9th. Had preaching afternoon and evening. Afternoon Elders Albiston, Smith, and Carns [Garn]. Evening Elders [Robert] Menzies and Carns [Garn] so hot that many slept on deck all night. Monday April 10th. Arose a little after 5 o'clock a.m. Saw the land of Cuba which is the chief island in the West Indies. About half past 10 o'clock [p. 16] a.m. Brother Charles Dee died and was immediately sewed up in a sheet. His bed and bedclothes were thrown overboard soon after with a plank was laid with an end in the hole on the side of the ship of the side of the ship [SIC] and the other on the top of the main hatchway. He then was brought out of the hospital and laid upon the plank when Elder W. [William] McGhie delivered a short address and offered up prayer. A few more minutes and he was sunk beneath the waves. The water was so clear that we could see him after he had sank several yards. While funeral was going on [p. 17] the bell was tolling which sounded like some old parish bells. Sister Hardy was delivered of a son. Tuesday April 11th. Emma, Marey and Fanny Brooks have been sorely afflicted with the smallpox. Marey is nearly well but Fanny and Emma died. Fanny died about half past 10 o'clock p.m. and was buried 2 o'clock p.m. Prayer was offered by Elder Pecks Emma died about 9 o'clock a.m. and was buried soon after. Prayer was offered up by Elder Albiston. There is a dreadful smell in the ship. Nevertheless, my health is good for which I thank my God. The weather is extremely [p. 18] hot. We have had calm almost all day. We lost sight of Santo Domingo. Wednesday April 12. This morning we have a gentle breeze. Are sailing about 6 knots an hour. In the afternoon a dolphin - fish was caught. It had several small fish found in it. The smallpox have prevailed over since their commencement and is very bad now. There are many sharks here near Santo Domingo, Cuba, and Jamaica which are between the tropic. They have summer all the year round. In the evening a meeting was called to thank the Lord for blessings - and to ask him to stay the smallpox. The wind [p. 19] commenced about 6 o'clock p.m. Thursday April 13. Eight o'clock p.m. Sister [Ann] Bradshaw from the Hyde Branch of the Manchester Conference, while in the hospital and suffering from smallpox, was delivered of a boy. Friday 14th. In the afternoon we passed what the sailors call the [-] of vines within sight. Sisters Mason and Morley having got a little of the forementioned dolphin we had a little. It tasted very well but rather oily. Saturday April 15th. About half past 1 o'clock a.m. John Long, a little boy died. The son of J. [John] V. Long and was buried about two [p. 20] o'clock a.m. Sailing from 8 to 10 knots an hour. Sunday April 16th. In the forepart of the day we were sailing from 8 to 10 knots an hour, but rather a head wind. About 10 o'clock a.m. we saw three hills or mountains which some call the "three sugar lumps." Near the same time a little girl died, the daughter of Sister [Anna M. Savage. The day was wet. Consequently, we had no meetings. Monday April 17th. We saw three ships. One came so near that they spoke to us. Before they came so near our captain sent 4 of the sailors and the first [p. 21] mate with a boat to see if they could get any provisions but they were denied. We had a head wind. Tuesday April 18th. A fine morning. Very near the shore and we could see the trees. The three forementioned ships were near us. We were in a calm. Our captain sent his men again to another of those ships. We succeeded in getting some provisions consisting of beef, biscuits and so forth. Sister [-] was delivered of a living child. Many of the Saints are short of provisions having got but half allowance on Saturday last, and that being two days after the usual time. About two or three o'clock p.m. the [p. 22] breeze came suddenly and in a few hours brought us in sight of Cape San Antonio. We passed the Cape about 5 o'clock p.m. and entered the Gulf of Mexico. A short time before we entered the Gulf saw a large fish. Towards its tail it was as far round it as a man's body. We had meeting on the poop deck which commenced about half past 5 o'clock p.m. Elder Pecks and Carns [Garn] addressed us. Wednesday April 19th. One biscuit allowed per day which is to be continued while they last. A little after 11 o'clock several hundreds of porpoises were seen. The first mate tried to catch some but [p. 23] could not. We had a head wind. Thursday April 20th. About 8 knots an hour. Notwithstanding the wind is rather ahead in the after part of the day the wind was in our favor. Saw a ship about 6 o'clock p.m. had a meeting on the poop deck, we were addressed by Elders McGhie and Carns [Garn]. Saw two ships. The general topic of conversation was how long shall we be before we shall meet the steamer to take us up to New Orleans. Saturday 22. A fine morning. About 6 o'clock a.m. saw several ships and steamers. About 7 o'clock a.m. a steamer came up to us [p. 24] when near 30 miles from the bay to haul us in on our arrival at the bay or bar cast anchor. About 4 or 5 o'clock p.m. We started up the River Mississippi for New Orleans. Sunday April 23. Near all the Saints on deck viewing the poor old and young Negroes, the horses, cows, sheep, dogs, hens, chickens &c and having been depressed of seeing those things for upwards of two months they looked upon them as being part and parcel of the 7 wonders of the world. Arrived at New Orleans about 8 o'clock p.m. About 2 o'clock p.m. a little boy named Davis died of the smallpox was buried in the river. Monday April 24th. In the [p. 25] afternoon all ordered not to go onshore as the people were not alarmed about us having the smallpox on board. About 4 or 5 o'clock p.m. a man came with a conveyance to convey all the sick to a hospital. Tuesday 25th. Our vessel was taken a considerable distance down the river to lay in quarantine. Wednesday 26th. Forenoon the inspector came on board to inspect the things of those that were going to stop in New Orleans. He gave us all permission to go ashore to get provisions. Many of the brethren did so. Thursday 27th. Went on shore about [p. 26] 9 o'clock a.m. to buy provisions to serve going up the river to St. Louis. All the brethren and sisters are very busily engaged in packing up for the steamboat, which is expected this morning. Called the "Grand Tower. " She came alongside about 9 o'clock a.m., all are as busy as possible in removing their luggage out of the Windermere to the steamboat there [- -]. One of the brethren lost part of his goods overboard. About 5 o'clock p.m. started up the River Mississippi. Friday April 28th. About 10 or 11 o'clock a.m. Baton Rouge was in view on our right hand. It is in the state [p. 27] of Louisiana and is the capital of the state. Saturday April 29th. About 8 o'clock a.m. we passed the city of [-] which is in the state of Mississippi. A little after the steamer having stopped for wood several of us went onshore. Saw three rabbits or hares. Brother Robert [POSSIBLY Hewitt] caught one. The steamer stopped three or four times for wood. Sunday April 30th. About 3 o'clock p.m. we stopped at Vicksburg for coal. Forenoon while the sailors were getting wood we went onshore. Saw a big hut and other interesting things. Monday 1st of May [p. 28] 1854 arose about 4 o'clock a.m. In the evening had heavy rains. Tuesday May 2nd. About 12 o'clock a.m. we arrived at the city of Memphis where we stopped about a half an hour. Wednesday 3rd. In the morning about 4 o'clock a.m. a thick fog let in. Our Captain thought it was safe to travel; therefore, he drove the steamer to the side of the river where we remained till about 7 o'clock a.m. From about 5 o'clock a.m. to the starting of the steamer several of the brethren were out shooting. [p. 29] [ABRUPT END TO JOURNEY ACCOUNT] BIB: Read, Thomas, 1821-. Papers, 1849-1898. [LDS Church Archives, Ms 1293, fd.1; Acc. #31101] pp. 1-29. (CHL) (source abbreviations)

Ship Windermere General Notes #2

Contributor: Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes More Sharing Services "DEPARTURES -- The Windermere. -- The Windermere, Captain Fairfield, cleared for New Orleans, Feb. 15th, with 482 souls on board, the company being in charge of Elder Daniel Carn [Garn]. Included in this company were seven ex-presidents of conferences -- Elders Abraham Marchant, Robert Menzies, Job Smith, John T. Hardy, John A. Albiston, J. V. Long, and Graham Douglas. . . . " MS, 16:9 (May 4, 1854), p.140 "SEVENTY-SECOND COMPANY, -- Windermere, 477 souls. The ship Windermere, Captain Fairfield, sailed from Liverpool, England, bound for New Orleans, on the 22nd of February, 1854, with four hundred and seventy-seven Saints on board, the company being in charge of Elder Daniel Garn. Included in the company were seven ex-presidents of conferences, namely: Abraham Marchant, Robert Menzies, Job Smith, John T. Hardy, John A Albiston, J. V. Long and Graham Douglas. The Windermere arrived at New Orleans April 23rd. During the voyage contrary winds were encountered, arising at times to heavy gales; but at the end of five weeks a favorable winds set in, and the ship made one thousand miles in four days. After fifteen days sailing from Liverpool, the smallpox broke out on board and spread rapidly as the vessel approached the tropics, until 37 passengers and two of the crew were attacked but at this crisis the malady was suddenly checked in answer to prayer. Six marriages were solemnized on board, and six births and ten deaths occurred. On the morning after arriving at New Orleans, eleven persons suffering with the small-pox were sent to the Luzenburg Hospital, agreeable to order from the health officers at the port; and Elder Long and five others were selected to remain at New Orleans to attend to the sick until they were sufficiently recovered to go forward. The rest of the company continued the journey from New Orleans April 27th, on board a steamboat, and arrived in St. Louis a few days later, from whence the journey was subsequently continued to Kansas City. (Millennial Star, Vol: XVI, pp.140, 297, 345, 477.)" Cont., 13:11 (Sep. 1892), p.509-10 "Wed. 22. [Feb. 1854] -- The ship Windermere sailed from Liverpool, England, with 484 Saints, under Daniel Garn's direction; it arrived at New Orleans April 23rd. Many died on board from the small pox." CC, p.50

Life timeline of John Albiston

John Albiston was born on 4 Apr 1814
John Albiston was 12 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
John Albiston was 18 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
John Albiston was 26 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
John Albiston was 46 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
John Albiston was 47 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
John Albiston was 66 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
John Albiston was 69 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
John Albiston died on 2 Apr 1891 at the age of 77
Grave record for John Albiston (4 Apr 1814 - 2 Apr 1891), BillionGraves Record 1475312 Richmond, Cache, Utah, United States