John Albert Whitby

5 Jan 1885 - 21 Apr 1972

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

John Albert Whitby

5 Jan 1885 - 21 Apr 1972
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

JOHN ALBERT WHITBY LIFE HISTORY John Albert Whitby was born January 8, 1885 in the old Whitby home in Alpine, Utah County, Utah to Thomas (Barrett) Whitby and Emma Sarah Freestone, the seventh child in a family of eleven children. He lived practically all his life in the same home. He attended schoo

Life Information

John Albert Whitby

Married: 7 Feb 1912

Alpine Cemetery

283 N 300 E
Alpine, Utah, Utah
United States


July 24, 2011


April 5, 2020


April 4, 2020


July 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of John Albert


John Albert Whitby is buried in the Alpine Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Life History-John Albert Whitby

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

JOHN ALBERT WHITBY LIFE HISTORY John Albert Whitby was born January 8, 1885 in the old Whitby home in Alpine, Utah County, Utah to Thomas (Barrett) Whitby and Emma Sarah Freestone, the seventh child in a family of eleven children. He lived practically all his life in the same home. He attended school in the old City Hall until the elementary school was erected in 1899. He attended this school through the eighth grade, at which time he spent one winter at the Brigham Young University at Provo, Utah. He worked on his fathers farm helping him until he became old enough to care for the farm himself at which time his father rented the farm to him on shares. His mother died on April 4, 1906 in Provo, Utah and his father moved to Salt Lake City and married Marie Larsen September 11, 1908. Thomas Whitby died January 29, 1909 in Alpine. The farm was divided among the children before their father's death. John rented the farm from different members of the family for the year 1909, and at this time he was called to fill a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Eastern States Mission. He left for his mission November 27,1909, leaving his engaged sweetheart Mamie Monson to wait for him. It was his sister Minnie who brought about the beginning of this courtship. She asked Mamie to come to Alpine to a dance in May 1909 and told her she would send someone to Manila to bring her to Alpine. When her escort arrived, it was John and that was the beginning of their courtship. John spent twenty-five months in West Virginia as an L.D.S. Missionary, and upon receiving an honorable release, he returned home in December, 1911. He married Mamie Henrietta Monson in the Salt Lake Temple on February 7, 1912 and together they bought and paid for the old home and farm. Through this marriage they were blessed with four boys and three girls and had the privilege of rearing six of them to adulthood., Their second child, David, lived only about an hour. John Whitby was elected as a member of the Alpine City Council in 1914. He held this position for ten years, then he was elected City Mayor, serving five terms or ten years. While serving as Mayor, he was truly a servant of the public. He did many things to improve our city; among the most outstanding was his leadership in the erection of the new City Hall. This was accomplished only through maximum efforts on his part because of the opposition of a certain group of the townspeople. It was completed in 1936 and has truly been a boost to our city. He was also instrumental in getting the main road between Alpine and American Fork oiled. In the year 1928 he was sustained as a councilor in the Alpine Ward Sunday School Superintendancy. He held this office until he was sustained as second councilor to Bishop Edward W. Burgess in 1929. This office he held for over sixteen years. He was released in August 1945. He was appointed treasurer for the Alpine Ward Finance Committee at the time of the erection of the new Ward Meeting House. This new building was necessary after the old Ward House was destroyed by fire. In January 1935 he was appointed as chairman of the Finance Committee. John did many things financially and other ways for the Ward which people were never aware of. However on two different occasions especially, he presented the Ward with gifts to help to beautify and supply the needs of the Chapel. These gifts were an electric wall clock and. a set of books (The Standard Works of the Church) for the pulpit. At the time of the dedication of the church, he and mother dined with President Heber J. Grant and other dignitaries of the Church at Bishop Edward W. Burgess' home. He spent about sixteen years as a member of the Alpine Irrigation Company Water Board and part of this time as president. As a father, he is more than any family could ask for. He never tires of going and doing anything he can think of to make life more pleasant for all the members of his family. Because of the great love that he and his wife have for their children, it was with very deep grief that they watched helplessly the hopeless illness and passing of their youngest son Melbourne Dean who died August 10, 1954 at the age of twenty five of cancer. Everything possible was done for Melbourne during his illness, especially in the way of faith and prayers. The family's prayers were answered-not in the way they would have liked-but in the way which was the Lord's will. Father and mother sent two of their children on missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Merlin went to the North Central States Mission in 1936 and LaRee went to the Western States Mission in 1939. Father has always loved farming and fruit raising and his boys have enjoyed working along with him, even after they were married. His favorite season of the year is Autumn, with its beautiful colors and the summer crops which have meant so much work, all harvested. Then too, it means his favorite holiday is almost here. Being a person who always enjoys giving, it is only natural that Christmas would be an enjoyable holiday for him.

Life timeline of John Albert Whitby

John Albert Whitby was born on 5 Jan 1885
John Albert Whitby was 8 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
John Albert Whitby was 21 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
John Albert Whitby was 29 years old when Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, were assassinated by a Yugoslav nationalist named Gavrilo Princip in Sarajevo, sparking the outbreak of World War I. Archduke Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Este was a member of the imperial Habsburg dynasty, and from 1896 until his death the heir presumptive (Thronfolger) to the Austro-Hungarian throne. His assassination in Sarajevo precipitated Austria-Hungary's declaration of war against Serbia, which in turn triggered a series of events that resulted in Austria-Hungary's allies and Serbia's declaring war on each other, starting World War I.
John Albert Whitby was 43 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
John Albert Whitby was 55 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
John Albert Whitby was 59 years old when World War II: The Allied invasion of Normandy—codenamed Operation Overlord—begins with the execution of Operation Neptune (commonly referred to as D-Day), the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The Allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history. The Allies of World War II, called the United Nations from the 1 January 1942 declaration, were the countries that together opposed the Axis powers during the Second World War (1939–1945). The Allies promoted the alliance as a means to control German, Japanese and Italian aggression.
John Albert Whitby was 68 years old when Jonas Salk announced the successful test of his polio vaccine on a small group of adults and children (vaccination pictured). Jonas Edward Salk was an American medical researcher and virologist. He discovered and developed one of the first successful polio vaccines. Born in New York City, he attended New York University School of Medicine, later choosing to do medical research instead of becoming a practicing physician. In 1939, after earning his medical degree, Salk began an internship as a physician scientist at Mount Sinai Hospital. Two years later he was granted a fellowship at the University of Michigan, where he would study flu viruses with his mentor Thomas Francis, Jr.
John Albert Whitby was 79 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
John Albert Whitby died on 21 Apr 1972 at the age of 87
Grave record for John Albert Whitby (5 Jan 1885 - 21 Apr 1972), BillionGraves Record 65631 Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States