Jex Lamar Schofield

1928 - 2002

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Jex Lamar Schofield

1928 - 2002
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

HISTORY OF BURTON SCHOFIELD Told by Burton Schofield, 1978 I was born October 7, 1901 in Beaver City, Utah; the ninth child of a family of eleven children. Three passed away with diphtheria before we moved from Beaver, their names were, Frank, Leonard, and Maude. They were buried in Beaver. My famil

Life Information

Jex Lamar Schofield


Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch

1817 Shoshone Dr
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States


January 6, 2012


January 5, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Jex Lamar


Jex Lamar Schofield is buried in the Memorial Gardens of the Wasatch at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Burton Schofield told by himself 1978

Contributor: MDSIMS Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

HISTORY OF BURTON SCHOFIELD Told by Burton Schofield, 1978 I was born October 7, 1901 in Beaver City, Utah; the ninth child of a family of eleven children. Three passed away with diphtheria before we moved from Beaver, their names were, Frank, Leonard, and Maude. They were buried in Beaver. My family left Beaver City, Utah in about 1904, settled in the part of Syracuse, Utah close to the shores of the Great Salt Lake. My friends and I used to swim in the lake. I had a pinto pony I used to herd cows on. I used to herd all the farmers cows during the summer. I would get so sun burnt that my face would peel and be so sore. I had no hat or shade to get under. No one but one neighbor, Mr. Walker, ever paid me. He gave me a dollar a week. My mother would see that I paid ten cents for tithing each week. All the rest of our neighbors got theirs herded for free. I went to a one-room schoolhouse not far from home for a few years. Then I went to the main schoolhouse above the bluff. The bluff was a road running north and south, it cut our town in half. There was contention between the two parts of Syracuse, one against the other. The boys below the bluff had a hard time getting along with those above the bluff, so I had a hard time adjusting to school and the kids that went there. I made it through one year of high school. The folks didn’t believe in getting an education, so I quit school to help on the farm, doing chores such as milking cows, cleaning stables, bedding down the stock. That is what I did instead of getting an education. Never had but one pair of shoes. Had to clean the muck and mud off from them when I wanted to go anywhere special. My folks operated the first post office in their home. It was the only post office from Layton to Weber County. People from all around came for their mail because it wasn’t delivered. I had heartache in my young life. I had an older brother, Newel, who was killed. He was across the street from our home waiting for a friend to milk cows before they could go to priesthood meeting. Newel was fooling with a gun and it accidentally went off, hitting him in the forehead. He died during the night. I missed him so much, for I was like his shadow. I was with him every minute he was around. I used to ride on his shoulders and go places with him and his friends. I worshipped him and now he was gone. What a broken hearted little guy I was. No one will every know but me. I was never a very good churchgoer. Mother seen that I went enough that I would be eligible to be ordained to the priesthood and pay tithing. There wasn’t enough work for pay so it wasn’t a great deal that I paid but I have done my best. By now I was getting restless and figured I should be having a little fun in my life, so I bought me a horse (old blackie) who I could depend on and have fun too. We had a lot of fun racing with our horses and buggies. We used to keep the middle of the road, and if the one who was going to pass you didn’t give the middle of the road to you, he got hit head on. I hit Don Walker one night going home and tipped him, buggy and all over. He never did try it again. I got the middle of the road from him. We would go to the dances, not to dance but to see the gang fights. Each town had a few fellows who used to fight and see who could win the most fights or be the town bullies, you might say. That is when Henry and I met a couple of girls and took them home. They were sisters; Reta, a blonde with blue eyes and Dora, a brunette with brown eyes. I asked Reta to go home with me and Henry asked Dora. We had a lot of fun together. We went together for a few weeks, then we changed partners and went together after that. Dora and I were thinking of marriage, but hadn’t been very serious about it. Then the flu struck. Everyone either had it, or was afraid they would get it. Dora and Reta had it. We used to go to see them, but their folks wouldn’t let us in, that was a no no while the flu was around. We used to go to see them and talk to them through the bedroom window. Henry got the flu and died it was awful. We missed him so much and Reta was heartbroken. It broke Dora and I up. She was trying to help Reta forget her sorrow and didn’t make anytime for me so I quit going to see her for some time. Finally Reta found her another fellow and Dora wasn’t having any fun so Reta and another sister, Norean, called me and told me that Dora wanted to see me, I went to see her again. From then on we went steady. I was still living at home so I figured I had better leave home and get me a job. Jobs were scarce and not much money around. The only jobs there were was working for farmers and the pay was poor. My brother in law, Lee Moss, offered me a job on his farm so I took it. I stayed until the farm work was done then I had to leave so my brother took me in to help him with his cement work. I worked with him and stayed at his home for a year or two then I was told that I would have to find some place to stay. His wife was going to have another child and he already had a house full without me. During this time, I was still courting Dora and hoping we could get married. I went back home hopeful I could get work from the farmers. Work was mighty low and the folks weren’t very anxious for me to stay, and wanted me out. Dora and I talked it over and decided that I would either have to leave the state or get married and let come what may. So we were married November 5, 1919 in the Salt Lake Temple, Joseph Fielding Smith married us. We had our reception at Dora’s folks place. We had a lovely wedding, had a good crowd, and got a lot of nice gifts, some of them lasted for years. In those days they used to shivaree the bride and groom. Shivaree is keeping the bride and groom apart for the first night. They took Dora away but I got away from them. I slept in Uncle Orson Page’s surrey all night. They took Dora to my sister Millie’s home, put her on the floor and turned the sofa over her and left. Millie and my sister Clara came to her rescue. They were sleeping upstairs so they got her free and gave her a bed for the rest of the night. She called me in the morning and I went and brought her back. We spent a day or so with Dora’s folks helping clean up and packing our gifts and Dora’s belongings. We lived with my folks until spring doing odd jobs for Ed Bills, like feeding stock and helping him do little jobs around the place. Then we moved into a two-room house next door to my folks. I did odd jobs wherever I could find them. We lived there for about three years and I worked at the Layton Sugar Factory in the winters. Our first child, Dale, was born while we lived there. He was Dora’s folk’s first grandson. He was so much fun for everyone. Dora had five sisters at home, they used to fight over him. They loved him so much. We didn’t have a hard time getting a babysitter; they were always willing to do that. By now the summer was over and it was time to look for another job. So I went over to Hooper Sugar Factory and got a job. My sister Emma and her husband asked us to stay with them during the sugar run. After the season run, I went to Salt Lake to the Union Pacific Railroad. They had gone on strike so I got a job right then as a boiler washer and had to be to work the next day. I went and stayed with Dora’s Aunt Ada Page until I found a place to stay. When we got a place to rent, Dora and Dale joined me. We lived on fourth north between second and third west for about two years and Tom was born. He was such a fat cute little baby, dark hair and big brown eyes. People would stop me on the street and say how cute he was. When Tom was born Dale only weighed three pounds more him. Norean and her husband came and lived with us for about six months. Then we moved to third north between second and third west, close to the railroad tracks. We lived there for the remainder of the time we lived in Salt Lake City. Dale became very ill with mastoid and had to be operated on and didn’t get along so good. The doctor told us if we didn’t get him out of Salt Lake City we would lose him on account of the smoke and pollution that was in the air. So we started to look for a place in Bountiful either to buy or rent. When Father Schofield decided to retire from farming, he asked us to come back to Syracuse and take part of his farm. We thought this was a blessing in disguise, so we went back to Syracuse and then our troubles began. The land was full of alkali, needed draining, was very poor and hard to raise crops on. We got the worst part of the farm in the deal and don’t let anyone tell you different. We finally had to give it up. By then we were so far in debt it was frightening. Of course this made trouble with my folks the Schofield’s called us for everything they could think of. Dora got the blame for everything, they didn’t care much for her anyway. While we lived on the farm we had three more children; Norma, Lamar and Sherman. Sherman was born just before we left the farm. He was two years old before anyone of my family saw him. We had no kind of communication with them whatsoever. They took all our stock and farm implements, except a young mare. We had trouble keeping her and finally the law was called in and we kept her and our old Model T Ford. We moved into Jerry Waite’s house for a while. I helped him on his farm to pay the rent. I worked at Smiths Canning Co. during the seasons. We also lived with Dora’s sister Delila and her husband, cut wood and worked on W.P.A, a government job for men out of work. At that time, Dora’s mother had a nervous breakdown and Father Page could not leave her alone while he worked. We moved up there to help them and it would help us too. We remained there during the summer. When winter came it was time to find a place to rent. We got a place about one mile south from the Pages and Norma started to school that fall. We lived there that summer and fall. In the year of 1933, Father Page came down to talk with us about us moving back by them. Mother Page’s health still wasn’t very good and he couldn’t leave her alone while he worked. He said he would help us to get a home if we would come back and be near them so he could go to work. We did as he asked us to do. We started in a two room, screen in porch, then added a couple more rooms and a bathroom, as time and money would allow. Finally, when finished, we had a four room, one bathroom home and got along very well. After we got settled in our own home, Jex Lamar started to school. Now it was close enough for our children to walk to school for which we were very thankful and we could look after Dora’s folks, too. They were both contented now and Father Page went back to work and we were glad to have a home and a start. I found work at Hill Air Force Base and things began to be looking up for us when the second World War broke out. Our oldest son, Dale, had just graduated from college with a teacher’s degree and had his contract to teach school in the southern part of Utah. He knew he would have to enter the war, so he joined the Air Force on September 3, 1942 and got his training in the U.S. He was stationed in England with 55 fighter groups and attained the rank of Sergeant. He came home October 24, 1945. Tom, our second son to go, chose to enter the Navy, but was still going through his last year of high school. They let him finish his last year of school and got his greeting from Uncle Sam on his birthday, May 19, 1943. He served in the Navy in the South Pacific for two years and came home December 1954 with a rating of Cox Swain, ship USS Caliun. Our next son to go was Lamar, he chose the Army. After three years of marriage, his country called him to serve in the Army. He left home January of 1952 and served as a Private for two years. He was not called for overseas duty and did all his service in Field and picked up his life with his wife and son again. Our daughter joined her Marine sweetheart in California and married him there (Vernon Wesly Hulse). Glen Thomas Schofield was married to Belva Talbot on November 28, 1944, before the war was over. She would try and meet him whenever he hit shore for a short leave. Dale was not married at that time. He called home when he hit New York saying he would be home. Oh, what happy days they were. Our youngest son, Sherman, was married to Edean Adams November 8, 1948. He didn’t have to serve his country for he was too young. If the call would have come he would have served gladly. Now we had them safely home again. They all were married and on their own, but Dale. He lived with Mom and I for about a year and a half. Then he married Bessie Lavern Stafford on June 3, 1946. This left Mom and I alone again. Dale was a school teacher as soon as possible and is till teaching as of this year, 1978. Glen Thomas and Jex Lamar got work to Navy Supply Depot and later transferred to Hill Field and are still working there. Soon they will retire. These bases are located at Clearfield, Utah. Sherman had a service station for a year or two then he got a job with Clearfield City. He did well there and is now at present foreman over the cities work maintenances crew. Vernon Wesley Hulse also got a job at the Navy Supply Depot, then transferred to Hill Field in Clearfield, Utah. He retired from Hill Field in 1973 and moved to Samaria, Idaho and is presently working at Thiokol Corp, in Utah. I got me a job at Hill Field in 1942 and worked there after the war. In 1957, I was injured while at work, which put me in the hospital for 45 days and put me out of work for eleven months. I was in a wheelchair for six months, then on crutches for a while and then went back to work using a cane. I couldn’t fulfill my work schedule, which was against my work, so they let me work for four years then they retired me at the age of 61. I spent nineteen years at the Field which made my retirement pay very low. We owned our home we were very glad for that. I got work at Woods Cross canning for a few years. That helped out a bit and after that I just took care of our place and garden. Father Page was called on a mission in Bountiful so they sold their place and moved three. He served his mission faithfully and died November 3, 1941 in Bountiful. Mother Page became very ill with heart attack while visiting with her son, Smith Page and his family, June 1945. We brought her to our home so Dora could take care of her. She was bedridden from then until she passed away October 12, 1945. None of our sons or Norma got home for her funeral. They were all waiting to be released from their services in the war. They both were buried in Centerville Cemetery, Davis County Utah. I have been retired for fifteen years now. My wife and I have been married for fifty-nine year on November 5, 1978. We have twenty grandchildren and twenty-seven great-grandchildren, expecting more before this year is over. Dora and I had five children. Now we are right back where we started, just the two of us. We were looking forward fifty-nine years ago to what the future held for us and today we are looking forward to the end of our journey here on earth. Hope we have left some fond memories for our loved ones; memories they will always cherish in their hearts, for we have done our best. *History is from the records of Glen Thomas Schofield - typed and submitted by Andrea Schofield Felix.

Life timeline of Jex Lamar Schofield

Jex Lamar Schofield was born in 1928
Jex Lamar Schofield was 11 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 13 years old when World War II: Nazi Germany invades the Soviet Union in Operation Barbarossa. Nazi Germany is the common English name for Germany between 1933 and 1945, when Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Party (NSDAP) controlled the country through a dictatorship. Under Hitler's rule, Germany was transformed into a totalitarian state that controlled nearly all aspects of life via the Gleichschaltung legal process. The official name of the state was Deutsches Reich until 1943 and Großdeutsches Reich from 1943 to 1945. Nazi Germany is also known as the Third Reich, from German Drittes Reich, meaning "Third Realm" or "Third Empire", the first two being the Holy Roman Empire and the German Empire. The Nazi regime ended after the Allied Powers defeated Germany in May 1945, ending World War II in Europe.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 27 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 36 years old when The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA. The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960. With members John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr, they became widely regarded as the foremost and most influential music band in history. Rooted in skiffle, beat and 1950s rock and roll, the Beatles later experimented with several musical styles, ranging from pop ballads and Indian music to psychedelia and hard rock, often incorporating classical elements and unconventional recording techniques in innovative ways. In 1963, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania"; as the group's music grew in sophistication, led by primary songwriters Lennon and McCartney, the band were integral to pop music's evolution into an art form and to the development of the counterculture of the 1960s.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 44 years old when Munich massacre: Nine Israeli athletes die (along with a German policeman) at the hands of the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group after being taken hostage at the Munich Olympic Games. Two other Israeli athletes were slain in the initial attack the previous day. The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, in which the Palestinian terrorist group Black September took eleven Israeli Olympic team members hostage and killed them along with a West German police officer.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 53 years old when The first launch of a Space Shuttle (Columbia) takes place: The STS-1 mission. The Space Shuttle was a partially reusable low Earth orbital spacecraft system operated by the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), as part of the Space Shuttle program. Its official program name was Space Transportation System (STS), taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development. The first of four orbital test flights occurred in 1981, leading to operational flights beginning in 1982. In addition to the prototype whose completion was cancelled, five complete Shuttle systems were built and used on a total of 135 missions from 1981 to 2011, launched from the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Florida. Operational missions launched numerous satellites, interplanetary probes, and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); conducted science experiments in orbit; and participated in construction and servicing of the International Space Station. The Shuttle fleet's total mission time was 1322 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 23 seconds.
Jex Lamar Schofield was 62 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Jex Lamar Schofield died in 2002 at the age of 74
Grave record for Jex Lamar Schofield (1928 - 2002), BillionGraves Record 564786 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States