Jesse Oran Turpin

1923 - 1936


Jesse Oran Turpin

1923 - 1936
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Jesse Oran Turpin (1923 - 1936) at Riverside Thomas Cemetery in Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States from BillionGraves
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Jesse Oran Turpin
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Jesse Oran Turpin


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


June 22, 2012


June 9, 2012

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Jesse Oran...

We found more records about Jesse Oran Turpin.

Grave Site of Jesse Oran


Jesse Oran Turpin is buried in the Riverside Thomas Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



The Life History of Florence Lucretia Goodwin written by daughter Ida May Turpin Lowe

Contributor: smithc Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Florence Lucretia Goodwin, the daughter of John William Goodwin and Catherine Maria Staker, was born 16 August 1878, in Sugarhouse, Salt Lake County, Utah. Her father immigrated to this country from Orsett, Essex, England with his mother, Maria A. Argent, when he was a small child. Mother was the eldest daughter and second child of a family of 12 children. Her brother, Avery, was two years and eight days older than her. Lucretia, her middle name, was given to her because her father's aunt had written from England requesting the new daughter be given that name. Mother started school at the age of eight years, at Butlerville, Utah where her father went to work in a paper mill. She was not able to go to school for long because they lived a long ways from school and the winter storms made it difficult to attend regularly for she had to walk and couldn't make it in the deep snow. She had very little education. She had migrane headaches all her life, which kept her out of school a great deal. Being the eldest girl in the family she missed a lot of school because she had to help care for her brothers and sisters. Her schooling ended at the third grade. When we lived in Coalville, her mother bore three children. Katie, with dark red hair, died of whooping cough. Mother remembered Katie at two rocking herself in a low cradle by sticking her legs through the rungs and pushing. While Katie was sick, their father brought home two dolls for his little girls. They were wax dolls, mother's was dressed in blue and Katies' in red. This was the first doll mother can recall having. Her mother's health failed so the family moved from Coalville to Butlerville, then to Sugarhouse where her brother, Nathan, was born. He was seven years and two and a half months younger than mother. In Sugarhouse they lived near her grandmother Staker. They played at her home a lot. She recalls climbing the big boxelder trees and building playhouses which they played in. Mother didn't have any girl playmates, just her brother Avery and Uncle Roy Staker. The children went to Primary in Sugarhouse. The little brick Primary building joined on to Grandma Staker's place. There the children went each week and sat on the benches that were placed in a circle. Each child would bear their testimonies. As mother remembered, each child would say about the same thing. Mother remembered this with a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye. She lived a normal life with her brothers and sisters. Their parents taught them the gospel by precept and by example. They were taught to do their share of the tasks about the home. They also taught them to love and respect each other and their fellow men. Her father moved his family to Holladay and settled on a fruit farm. While living here, mother met and fell in love with and married the dark handsome Edward James Turpin. Their wedding day was 13 April 1898. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple on 4 November 1903. They spent their honeymoon in a sheep camp. At that time, father was a sheepherder. Father was a farmer at heart and their first endeavor was a fruit farm in Holladay, Utah. It was next to Grandfather's farm. They operated this fruit farm for several years. During these years five children were born to them. When William was born, mother had the smallpox. Grandmother Turpin came and took care of her and the baby. Father, Edward, and Ida were fumigated out and lived with Grandmother Goodwin, until mother was well again. When Nathan was two years old, he had infantile paralysis. This left him crippled for life. All during Nathan's life, mother's faith and care was the things that kept him going. In 1909, the year that Juanita was born, they sold the fruit farm and moved to Idaho where they bought a farm southwest of Blackfoot, Idaho. Father and Uncle Nate Goodwin left in the spring with wagon and team taking two weeks to make the trip from Salt Lake City to Blackfoot. Mother followed a few weeks later with the five small children traveling by train. The first year they lived in a two room log house rented from Forest Larson. That winter mother grubbed sage brush during blizzards to keep her five children from freezing. Uncle Nate was on the lavas getting out cedar wood, and father was tending sheep to earn money for food. During this first year, father bought a forty-acre farm in the Thomas area. It was covered with huge sagebrush, which had to be cleared before a crop could be planted. Father moved his family to this farm in 1910. They lived in an old shanty and a tent while father built a new house with cement walls. Father moved his family to this farm in 1910. Water for the family was taken from an open well, drawn by hand over hand with oaken buckets. Sage brush was used for firewood to cook their meals. Kerosene lamps were used for light. Mother was a real helpmate to father, never complaining of the hardships she had to endure. During their pioneering days, five more children were born. A midwife, Grandma Crawford, as she was affectionately called, delivered Naomi and Jennie. Mother nearly gave her life when Rex was born. The doctor told her if she ever had another child, she would die. So all through her pregnancy with Jesse, she was really frightened, but as it turned out, it was one of her easier births. The Relief Society sisters washed and anointed her before Jesse was born. In 1914 father built a new home on the south end of the forty. When Jennie was a wee babe, they moved into the lovely home ( really an up-to-date home at this time). It had 7 rooms, bathroom, two big porches and a one basement room. We all were so very proud of this home. Father landscaped it and made it very lovely. It was while living here that Deola, Rex, and Jesse were born. Rex was a sickly baby. Many nights mother sat up holding him so he could get his breath. Because of all the loving care she gave him, she really clung to him. In November of 1926, William Melvin left for his mission, to the Southern States. He had to have a hernia operation and his tonsils removed before leaving. William was also married just befoer leaving for his mission to Mary Forman. William was a good missionary and made his family proud of him. While father and mother were in Salt Lake with William, mother had a double operation. She had a goiter taken out and a tumor taken off her leg. The leg operation left her crippled for the rest of her life. The cord was cut in her leg, causing her foot to drop down when she raised it. Before the doctor had released her to come home, she received word from home that Nathan was very very ill with inflammatory rheumatism. Juanita had been staying out of school taking care of him. We became so frightened over his condition that we didn't dare keep the news from Dad and Mother any longer. Mother insisted on coming home to Nathan. From the time she came home, she didn't rest until he was well again. This is a good example of the kind wonderful mother we had. She never thought of herself but always of others. Edward Richard was married January 1919 to Dora Noack. Ida May was married to Henry Nelson in November 1919. William Melvin was married to Mary Forman in November 1926. Juanita was married to Wilford Nelson in February 1927. Nathan Van Buran was married to Cecilia Roy in September 1929. Our parents were also blessed with eight grandchildren while living here. Dad wanting to help his sons get a home bought a 50-acre farm on the highway at Riverside and a 50-acre farm by the Thomas store. Shortly after purchasing the Riverside farm, father moved his family there. This house wasn't very good but it didn't take father long to make it a lovely modern home. This is the first time they had electricity. In the previous home, they first had kerosene lamps, later gas. He finally purchased a carbide lighting system. At that time, it was very wonderful. Here Naomi was married to Glen Taylor August 12, 1931. Father died on January 27, 1936. Jesse was killed October 31, 1936. Jennie was married to Millard Rooks September 24, 1936. Deola was married to Virgil Jolley on January 14, 1937. The deaths of father and Jesse were a severe blow to all of us but especially to mother. So when she and Rex were left alone, it was hard for mother to run the farm. She tried for several years with the help of her family, but she finally sold it to Nathan. She went to live in Nathan's home in Blackfoot on South Stout Street. It was while she lived in this home that Grandmother Goodwin became ill and came to live with mother. Mother cared for grandmother until her death. Grandmother was bedfast the last few months of her life. Mother was really an angel of mercy around sickness. Rex was married to Carol Samuelson on March 2, 1944. Because mother could not be left alone, Rex lived with her. The last few months of her life, due to bad health, she lived with her daughters. Her death came on December 4, 1962 at the age of 84 at the home of her daughter Jennie. Taking care of mother was a joy to all of us. She was truly a wonderful mother. On her 80th birthday, her family held an open house where her children, grandchildren and many friends joined with her to make it a delightful day and evening. She was an active church member and loved to do temple work. She held church callings as a Sunday School teacher, Relief Society teacher, Relief Society Counselor in the East Thomas Ward Relief Society, Primary Counselor in the Cotton Wood Primary, worked on the genealogy and old folks committees. While in the Relief Society, she and the sisters took care of the sick and prepared the dead for burial. She went into many homes to nurse the sick. During the flu epidemic, she went into homes never thinking of her own health, but she was truly blessed for this. I remember the time she and Aunt Carrie Goodwin sat day and night with the Bankhead baby (Athlene), and when the baby died, mother cried as if her heart would break. She said she could not have felt worse if Athlene had been her own baby. During her life in Blackfoot, she made her own income baby sitting. The children she tended and their parents learned to love her as a grandmother. Even after she was too old to tend children, those she had tended would bring her birthday and Christmas gifts. At her funeral, they sent flowers and attended her funeral. One boy who was then about 15 came to her casket and stood looking at her for a long time. In talking with him, he said "I sure did love her." Mother was an avid sports fan and was on hand for many baseball games. Television was a delight to her, giving her the opportunity to see the big league games. If a grandson or nephew or friend was playing, you could count on mother being there. She enjoyed going to the temple, and Juanita saw to it that she went often. We all miss mother greatly, but the things she taught us we will remember and be forever grateful. We thank our Father in Heaven for such a wonderful mother and father.

Jesse's Tragic Accident

Contributor: smithc Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

My recollection of my father's youngest brother, Jesse Oran Turpin's accident which caused his death on October 30, 1936, as told to me by my father, William Melvin Turpin, when I was a young teenager. The family at the time of Jesse's accident lived in the family home just about a mile and a half West of Riverside townsite on the state highway or about 830 West by today's description. Jesse, who at the time of his death was 12 years 11 months and 7 days old, was riding his bicycle along the road when a vehicle pulling a small utility trailer passed by. As fate would have it, the trailer come unhitched and "ran wild" (coroner's words) and ran into or over Jesse. His death was a result of internal cerebral and abdominal hemorrhaging. The loss of the youngest of their ten children was an especially difficult thing for Grandmother Florence as she had nursed Jesse through much sickness in his young life.

Life timeline of Jesse Oran Turpin

Jesse Oran Turpin was born in 1923
Jesse Oran Turpin died in 1936 at the age of 13
Grave record for Jesse Oran Turpin (1923 - 1936), BillionGraves Record 1535972 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States