Jerry Preston Barratt

27 Aug 1940 - 13 Mar 2011

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Jerry Preston Barratt

27 Aug 1940 - 13 Mar 2011
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

JERRY PRESTON BARRATT (1940 - 2011) Jerry was the first child born to Preston and Margaret Barratt. His arrival on August 27, 1940 in Salt Lake City brought great joy to all. He was also the first grandchild for Thomas and Ann Barratt as well as Karl and Olga Bergquist. With beautiful big blue eyes

Life Information

Jerry Preston Barratt


American Fork Cemetery

601-699 Alpine Hwy
American Fork, Utah, Utah
United States


July 24, 2011


April 4, 2020

Liz Whitley

April 8, 2020


July 23, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Jerry Preston


Jerry Preston Barratt is buried in the American Fork Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Jerry Preston Barratt 1940 - 2011

Contributor: Soonersports1 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

JERRY PRESTON BARRATT (1940 - 2011) Jerry was the first child born to Preston and Margaret Barratt. His arrival on August 27, 1940 in Salt Lake City brought great joy to all. He was also the first grandchild for Thomas and Ann Barratt as well as Karl and Olga Bergquist. With beautiful big blue eyes and a sweet disposition it was apparent everyone wanted to spoil him. He was raised in Salt Lake at the family home located at 1601 S. 23rd East. He was the big brother to Diane, Jack, and Susan. Jerry attended elementary school at Emerson and Dilworth and junior high at Hillside. Favorite teacher was Mrs. Isaacson. He went to high school at East High and remembers his parents taking him to buy the latest in clothing styles. Being small for his age and wanting him to fit in I'm sure his parents thought the clothes would do the trick. Jerry remembers it didn't quite work - even with the khaki pants, wide belt and specialty shirt. The family moved from Salt Lake to American Fork in 1956. Preston built a beautiful home for the family in a newer area of the city. Jerry completed his high school education at American Fork High School - he really enjoyed his involvement with the Cavaliers Club. The club was formed by young men who loved cars. A favorite school story took place at the old three story American Fork High School which has since been replaced with the Recreation Center. While in a classroom on the third floor, Jerry became bored with the day's lecture so he climbed out the window and made his way down the side of the brick building. A few feet from the bottom he felt someone poke him in the rear. Looking down he was surprised to see the principal, Jess Walker, waiting for him. He said, "Barratt you made your way down here now get back yourself back up into class." Adventure was Jerry's middle name. For years after graduation he experienced the thrills and spills of many recreational activities. Once while racing his car, if you will, down Pulley's Hill he found himself upside down in a ditch when he wasn't able to stop in time. No injuries - at least not to himself. His mother, at the time, was home sitting in the living room of their new home and heard the screeching tires to which she said, "Oh, I hope that's not Jerry." Jerry raced his black Ford at Bonneville raceway and won a drag race at 89 mph. He received a large trophy and his record wasn't broken for several years. He also raced his motorcycle on an oval track at Bonneville. In one race a driver took the corner a bit sharp and his tail end went into the cycle next to him which in turn ran into Jerry's. He was thrown from his cycle. After landing on his hands and knees, another rider from behind ran right into his hind end. He was taken to the hospital with injuries. Luckily he survived. (This was after he was married) He also rode his cycle at the Widowmaker run near the Point of the Mountain. Other adventures include riding bulls in a rodeo. That was probably his least favorite experience. As a teenager, he worked at Barratt Builders and Cecil Parker's Frontier Oil. He also picked onions for Mr. Pierce near the boat harbor where many farms were located. Jerry joined the United States Marine Corps at seventeen. He was stationed mainly in San Diego and Camp Pendleton. Made Lance Corporal (twice). The stress of the Marine Corp caused physical problems for Jerry. When he completed his training, he ended up in the hospital with bleeding ulcers and other digestive problems. He continued to have problems with ulcers throughout his life. He graduated from the University of Utah with a B.A. in Political Science. After graduation, he worked at a variety of jobs - liked the outside opportunities the most. Jerry married Kaye in 1963 and he later adopted her three children from earlier marriages - Laurie Kaye, Jeffery Harold, and Virginia Rae. Jerry and Kaye added one son to the existing family, William Preston. Community service: Democratic Party, Jaycees, Am. Fork Fire Department, and Am. Fork Ambulance Crew. He was the first director of the volunteer ambulance for American Fork in 1970. He served as president of the Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees) Jerry was the designer of the Senior Citizen Center dedicated in 1980. He was also one of its largest contributors. Jerry has been a jack of all trades. Some of his work experience includes building homes with his father and brother at Barratt Development Company. He has been a long haul truck driver for Savage Brothers. He's worked in Minnesota, South Carolina, Denver, Phoenix, and Elko, Nevada. While in South Carolina he worked in the gold mines as an employer of Gene Duvall. He worked many areas doing iron work and other times was a heavy equipment operator. Numerous injuries have occurred in his life. Some from car accidents, being bucked off a bull, motorcycle mishaps, and once a truss fell on his head while working on construction. All of which caused serious back injuries. He always tried to keep in good physical condition even with injuries. Weight lifting and jiu jitsu were two activities he worked hard at. In his fifties, he competed in a jiu jitsu tournament in California. He finished second or third for his age group. He also broke his shoulder in the event. Participating in the annual "pig hunts" in Moroni always provided great stories for years to come. Jerry along with his brothers-in-law and often friends would head south for a weekend of a little hunting and a lot of partying. The family remembers one trip which resulted in some interesting haircuts. Jerry's trademark "grumpy" disposition endeared him to everyone. Also known as "Uncle Sweary" by his beloved nieces and nephews. No one could spout off like Jerry - well okay maybe his Dad. Even with his "agitated state" we all knew he really did love us. Generosity is also his trademark. McCall and David (niece and nephew) still remember the year he won the Super Bowl and shared the winnings. Before the game had ended he told the two that if he won he'd give them $100 each. For two young junior high kids, they learned their uncle was a man of his word. One evening he brought home a friend who had no place to live - Kaye gets a gold star for this one because she gave him her bedroom for the week he stayed there. He donated to many a worthy cause, but was always uncomfortable if anyone mentioned it. Being a bit of a clean freak, no one showered more. He always had a classy look about him when he wasn't in work clothes. Traditions were important to Jerry. Every summer for years he and Kaye reserved cabins for the kids and grandkids at Fish Lake. Fish Lake was special to him because he visited there with his own Grandpa Bergquist. Many great memories for the family were made there. Another tradition was Christmas Eve at their home. All the family would gather and enjoy a Christmas feast followed by gift exchanges. Having a REAL Christmas tree made him especially happy. Father's Day was always celebrated in American Fork Canyon with a family breakfast. Jerry loved his family. Jerry had a talent for collecting friends wherever he went. They span the United States. Sharing many of his various stories with friends and family kept everyone in stitches. But no one laughed harder at his jokes and stories than he did. Actually most got the biggest laugh out of watching him. One friend especially close to Jerry was Ray Beasley. Jerry often commented how Beasley stuck by him through thick and thin. One difficult challenge for him was when he quit drinking - those he thought were friends would have nothing to do with him when he stopped. It was a very hurtful time for him. Ray, however, stayed close by even until the end. During the rough years of pain and illness, Ray always stopped by a few times a week to pick up Jerry for their coffee trip to Tangies Cafe in downtown American Fork. Later years brought several health issues. He had triple by-pass surgery on his heart, but was able in time to return to work. He struggled with respiratory issues from smoking, as well as ulcerated colitis. On June 29, 2008 Jerry had an aortic aneurysm burst. It was truly miraculous he survived - chances were very slim. He was life-flighted from American Fork Hospital to Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah. After his release from the hospital, he was never able to get his energy back or return to work. Within a couple of years, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer which traveled to his spine. . During the last years of his life he mellowed even though his pain and suffering increased. He made the comment one day (to his sister Susan) that if he had it to do over again he'd probably do the same things in life except he would have been more careful not to hurt the feelings of others. His family did all they could to make his last days more bearable which he appreciated. He passed away with Kaye by his side in the early hours of Sunday, March 13, 2011. He is greatly missed by all his family. Compiled by Susan Barratt Smith (Jerry's sister)

Life timeline of Jerry Preston Barratt

Jerry Preston Barratt was born on 27 Aug 1940
Jerry Preston Barratt was 17 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
Jerry Preston Barratt was 29 years old when During the Apollo 11 mission, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to walk on the Moon. Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two people on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, both American, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC. Armstrong became the first person to step onto the lunar surface six hours after landing on July 21 at 02:56:15 UTC; Aldrin joined him about 20 minutes later. They spent about two and a quarter hours together outside the spacecraft, and collected 47.5 pounds (21.5 kg) of lunar material to bring back to Earth. Michael Collins piloted the command module Columbia alone in lunar orbit while they were on the Moon's surface. Armstrong and Aldrin spent 21.5 hours on the lunar surface before rejoining Columbia in lunar orbit.
Jerry Preston Barratt was 38 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
Jerry Preston Barratt was 42 years old when Michael Jackson's Thriller, the best-selling album of all time, was released. Michael Joseph Jackson was an American singer, songwriter, and dancer. Dubbed the "King of Pop", he was one of the most popular entertainers in the world, and was the best-selling music artist during the year of his death. Jackson's contributions to music, dance, and fashion along with his publicized personal life made him a global figure in popular culture for over four decades.
Jerry Preston Barratt was 59 years old when Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado. The Columbine High School massacre was a school shooting that occurred on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School in Columbine, an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Colorado, United States, in the Denver metropolitan area. In addition to the shootings, the complex and highly planned attack involved a fire bomb to divert firefighters, propane tanks converted to bombs placed in the cafeteria, 99 explosive devices, and car bombs. The perpetrators, senior students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, murdered 12 students and one teacher. They injured 21 additional people, and three more were injured while attempting to escape the school. The pair subsequently committed suicide.
Jerry Preston Barratt was 63 years old when Invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries (the UK, Australia and Poland) begin military operations in Iraq. The 2003 invasion of Iraq was the first stage of the Iraq War. The invasion phase began on 20 March 2003 and lasted just over one month, including 21 days of major combat operations, in which a combined force of troops from the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and Poland invaded Iraq. This early stage of the war formally ended on 1 May 2003 when U.S. President George W. Bush declared the "end of major combat operations", after which the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) was established as the first of several successive transitional governments leading up to the first Iraqi parliamentary election in January 2005. U.S. military forces later remained in Iraq until the withdrawal in 2011.
Jerry Preston Barratt died on 13 Mar 2011 at the age of 70
Grave record for Jerry Preston Barratt (27 Aug 1940 - 13 Mar 2011), BillionGraves Record 65120 American Fork, Utah, Utah, United States