James W. Atkinson

3 Jan 1811 - 1 Sep 1898


James W. Atkinson

3 Jan 1811 - 1 Sep 1898
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Biography of James Atkinson 1811-1898 James Atkinson was the youngest and also the l5th child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. He was born 3 Jan. 1811 in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, England, three years after their 14th child, Edward. He was baptized in the St. Mary s Church of Engla
Register to get full access to the grave site record of James W. Atkinson
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

James W. Atkinson


Dayton Cemetery

Highway 36
Dayton, Franklin, Idaho
United States


September 21, 2013


September 20, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about James W....

We found more records about James W. Atkinson.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James W.


James W. Atkinson is buried in the Dayton Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Biography of James Atkinson

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

Biography of James Atkinson 1811-1898 James Atkinson was the youngest and also the l5th child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. He was born 3 Jan. 1811 in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, England, three years after their 14th child, Edward. He was baptized in the St. Mary s Church of England, Whittlesey, in Feb. 1811. His grandfather was Reverend Richard Atkinson (Reverend of the St. Mary’s Church of England in Whittlesey). His grandmother was Rebecca Plurnmer. His maternal grandparents were John Clipson andAnn Rüssell. The Following is The Récord of My Fathers Family. As recorded by James Atkinson (in his own handwritting): William Plummer Atkinson, born 8 oct. 1764 (Father of James Atkinson) Rebecca Clipson (Mother of James Atkinson) born 6 Jan.1767 Married at Doddington, in the Isle of Ely 25 Oct. 1785. 1.Ann Atkinson 2 Aug 1786 Jan 1881 85 years 2.Rebecca Atkinson 16 Feb 1788 10 Aug 1788 7 months 3.Richard Atkinson 9 Apr 1789 15 June 1865 76 years 4.Rebecca Atkinson 14 Mar 1791 12 Nov 1828 37 years 5.Elizabeth Atkinson 7 Jan 1792 31 Aug 1792 8 months 6.John Atkinson 6 July 1793 1832 39 years 7.Henry Atkinson 20 May 1795 31 Aug 1795 3 ½ months 8.Elizabeth Atkinson 18 Sept 1796 25 Sept 1798 2 years 9.Mary Atkinson 17 Apr 1798 Oct 1798 6 months 10.Henry Clipson Atkinson 24 Aug 1799 15 Jun 1867 68 years 11.Elizabeth Atkinson 27 May 1801 30 Apr 1861 60 years 12.Charles Atkinson 29 Dec 1802 28 Feb 1845 43 years 13.Mary Atkinson 10 Apr 1805 3 Feb 1805 10 months 14.Edward Atkinson 21 Jun 1807 12 Feb 1808 9 months 15.James Atkinson 3 Jan 1811 1 Sept 1898 87 years Not much is known of his very early life, although he was born in a large family, seven of his brothers and sisters died in infancy. The two children, Mary and Edward, who were born just before him, died young so the next older brother, Charles, was eight years older than James. Therefore, as a child James had no one close to his age to play with .His oldest sister, Ann, was married three years before James was born, and his oldest brother, Richard, was married two years after his birth. When James was 20 years old his mother died and at this time all the older children were married excapt Charles, so it is assumed that James, Charles and their father resided together. Their father had many holdings of land and property and it was scattered in several towns, so where they lived is not known. His father, William Plummer, lived at Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England from 1799 to 1808, because many of his children were christened in the Doddington parish, but James was born at Whittlesey on 3 Jan. 1811. James had considerable schooling, with their means and with the indication of the education he had, it is very likely that he attended college. He was away from home for several years, and a considerable allowance was sent to him. He was a beautiful penman, he wrote neat and pleasant letters even when he became old. Much thanks and credit is given to James for the way he kept and preserved the records of the Atkinson family, he was very diligent and accurate in writing down all the events in the family such as marriages, births and deaths and travels. He usually recorded these events on several papers, so if one was lost another would be preserved. He was wise and kept the letters his sister, Ann Atkinson Hill, and others sent him from England, it has helped in many ways to prove the correct relationship of the family members in England. In the early part of 1840, James made a list of several addresses of places he had lived in London and at the bottom he made a note and said he was leaving London in May 1840. This is where he probably attended college. On 15 June i840 he made a note describing the height and weight of his father and himself. Following is a copy of the note-—----”James Atkinson’s father, Mr. William Plummer Atkinson--his weight is 18 Stone 14 pounds to the Stone or 252 pounds. His height—-6 feet. Mr. James Atkinson 12 Stones 14 pounds to the stone or 168 pounds. His Height 5 feet 11 inches.” At the time of his father’s death, 8 Apr 1845 at Coats, Cambridgeshire. England, James was In Wooðstone, near Peterborough. After his fathers death and the Will he left was proved, the property he owned was to be sold and James was to receive two thirds of the money from the sale and rent of the property and Charles, his brother, was to receive one third. However, Charles died just a little over a month before his father, and it is not known how his third was divided. Richard, the oldest brother to James, who resided in March, Cambridgeshire, England was appointed admin- istrator of the estate. All transactions were done fair and legal, carried out through the proper channels of the law. Richard gave a receipt for all rents and sales of property. When James received his inheritance, he received it by allowances, he requested what he wanted from the attorney, and then when he received it in the mail, he had to sign a receipt and send it by return mail, acknowledging that he had received it. From the inheritance his father Willed to him, James received a considerable amount of money. English money value at that time was much more than it is now. One pound of English money then was worth $5.00 in our American money. In 1845 James received 50 pounds, 1846–105,1847-335,1848-289, 1849-230, 1850-345, 1851-55, 1852-36, 1853-36, 1854-42, 1855-48, 1856-25, 1857-26, 1858-29, 1859-29, 1860-30, 1861-29,1862-30, 1863-60 pounds. The total he received was 1849 pounds or *9,245 this was a sizable amount in those days. On 2 Sept. 1846, James and Louisa Crunkhorn of Stanground, Huntingdon, England were married at St. Mary’s Church, Newington, London, England. James was 35 years old and Louisa was 24 years old. Louisa’s father was John Crunkhorn and her mother was Mary Mitchell. Mary Ann Crunkhorn, Louisa’s sister, went to London with her to be married and acted as one of the witnesses to the marriage. James and Louisa moved several times during the 17 years they lived in England. They were the parents of five lovely, healthy children. Following is a list cf their children’s names and births as James recorded them in his own handwriting: Father--James Atkinson, born 3 Jan. l811 Mother-— Louisa Crunkhorn, born 9 June 1821 . Married at St. Mary’s Church, Newington, London, England 2 Sept. 1846 Children: 1. James William P]ummer Atkinson, born 26 July, 1848, 25 minutes before 2:00am Wednesday morning at Standground, Hunts, England. Baptized in the parish. 2. Frederick Henry Atkinson, born Nov 10, 1851 at half past 12’clock Monday afternoon at Standground. Baptized in the parish of Peterborough. 3. Rosa Louisa Atkinson, born 23 June 1854, O’clock in the morning, Friday at Whittlesea, Cambridgeshire. England.. 4. Jessie Ann Atkinson born 13 July i86 at 10 minutes before 2:00 O’clock afternoon of Sunday at No. 14 Sussex Place, Levermere Road, Dalston, London, England. 5. Fanny Eliza Atkinson born 2 Aug 1862, 25 minutes past 3:00 O’clock afternoon on Saturday at Standground, Died 27 July, 1863 at Florence City, Nebraska, America. There is no record of what James did for a living until 1858. He sent to the parish of Whittlesey for a certificate of his birth, and he had a number of people give him references, so that he could work on the police force in London. He got 6 references from friends and acquaintances out side of the city of London and 6 from London city. Following is the copy of one reference he received: 1858 Gentlemen, Mr. James Atkinson is of respectable family and connections in this place, and may safely be recommended to the notice of those concerned in the appointment of the Police Force. Yours Respectfully, J. L. Franks- M. A. Resident Curate St. Mary’s Whittlesey All references spoke highly of James and specifically mentioned his good character. It is not known if he ever served on the Police Force in London, no mention was made of it in the records, but he did live in .London many more years that he lived at any other place. Louisa became interested in the teachings of the Mormon Elders and was baptized a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints by W. G. Cole, 1 Aug 1858. At this time she belonged to the Barking Branch, London Conference. It was not until nearly two years later that James joined, the Mormon church. James and their two sons, James William Plummer Atkinson and Frederick Henry were baptized on the 17th of June 1860 by the same man that baptized Louisa, W. G. Cole. At this time they belonged to the Barking Branch, London Conference. Following is the way the information of their baptism was given in the Poplar Branch Record: Poplar Branch- Record of Members- 1850-1864 Page 16.Call No. 13E Part 54 No. 117 James Atkinson- age 49 . Residence- Poplar- born 3 Jan. 1811 at Cambridgeshire, England. Bartized 17 June 1860 at Victoria Park by W. G. Cole. Confirmed by W. G. Cole. Emigrated 9 May 1863. No. 118- James W. Atkinson-age 12.. Residence, Poplar. Born 26 July 1848 at Huntingdonshjre, England Baptized 17 June 1860 at Victoria Park by W. G. Cole Confirmed by T. Wiles. Emigrated 9 May 1863 No. 119- Frederick Henry Atkinson-age 9 Born 10 Nov 1851 ,at Huntingdonshire England Baptized 17 June l86O at Victoria Park by W.G. Cole. Confirmed by W. H. Smt!, Emigrated 9 May 1863. After they joined the church they began dreaming of the day they could come to America and join the other saints. By writing many letters and doing considerable planning the time finally arrived that all necessary preparations were made to leave their dear, old England, and loving friends and relatives, to embark on a new adventure in the land of America. James was advanced the final money from his father’s Will to obtain enough to pay his traveling, expenses for himself and family. His sister, Ann, visited him several times in London before he left and his brother, Richard, traveled from March, Cambridgeshire to London to see them off on their journey. The family traveled by rail from London to Liverpool and the railway fare was 3 pounds and 12 shillings. On 23 Mar 1863, Saturday, they set sail from Liverpool to New York on the ship ‘Antarctic” under Captain Stuffer. The Passage for the family was 38 pounds and 4 shillings or about $195.00. They received the following provisions at sea weekly: Bread 3 ½ pounds Oatmeal 1 ½ lb. Flour 1 pound Pork 1 lb. Rice 1 ½ lb. Peas 1 ½ pounds Beef 1 ½ pounds Salt 2 oz. Mustard ½ oz. Potatoes 2 pounds Pepper ½ oz. Sugar 1 pound. Vinegar 1 gill Tea 2 oz. Water (daily) 3 quarts The ship arrived at New York 9 July 1863, they were 47 days on the water. From New York, they left by railway and arrived at St. Joseph, Missouri. on 16 July 1863. They left St. Joseph on the 17th of July and went on board the “Steam Packet” on the Missouri river. They rode in the steam boat 4 days and arrived at Florence, Nebraska on 21st of July. The river was low and they ran into sand. bars and had difficulty getting up the river James had to pay 6 pounds for overweight baggage on board the Steam Boat, he brought many lovely keepsakes of his own and his parents, when he came to America. Just a few days after they arrived at Florence, a great sorrow came into their lives. While they were traveling on the river, Fanny Eliza, their baby girl, took sick with summer complaint. They did all that could be done for her but on 27 July 1363, their little darling died at the age of eleven months, and three weeks old. No doubt the long journey had been hard for a child so young. She was buried in the Old Mormon Grave Yard at Florence. Although the family mourned the loss of their baby, they continued preparations to get to Utah, lest the winter months should come before they arrived at their destination. They bought two yoke of oxen and a wagon which cost them 66 pounds or about $33O.OO, a tent for 2 pounds and 10 shillings or about $13.OO, a cooking stove for 3 pounds and 10 shillings or about $18.OO. They also bought tinware, boxes and guns for the boys, and clothes for the journey. They had to reserve Security Money to pay tolls at bridges and ferries while crossing the rivers. They remained in Florence six weeks preparing to make their journey.. To prepare for the journey across the plains, they bought the following list of Items and slso mentioned the cost of each in American Money. 1 axe l.75 Mustard .40 2 Yolk of Oxen 175.00 1 saw 1.25 Tent 25.00 2 yolk and chain 7.50 1 spade 1.25 Tent poles 2.00 ½ Sacks of Flour 6.25 1 kettle 3.40 1 hatchet .85 100 pounds bacon 7.00 1 coffee mil! l.20 1 rope .25 6 pounds of rice .75 1 hoe .50 1 can of grease 1.50 6 pounds of tea 7.50 2 bxs matches .10 1 duck cover 17.00 50 pounds sugar 7.50 10 bars soap l.60 3 3/4 washer wagon 114.00 25 pounds apples 2.30 2 candles .66 M Rogers & Co Stove 34.00 2 pounds coffee 8.00 2 lbs. soda .25 Binder Skin 1.50 2 pounds pepper .80 2 boxes of pills .50 Allspice .40 2 Cream of Tartar .85 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total $433.26 This amount of money represented part of the cost of preparing to cross the plains in 1863. The distance from Florence to Utah was estimated to be about 1100 miles, and the time to travel this distance was 60 to 80 days. It took thoughtful preparation and planning to get what was necessary for the journey without over loading their wagons and making the burden too great for their oxen. They were a family of six now. The father, James, was 53 years old, the mother 41 years. The oldest son, James William was 15, Frederick Henry was 12 years old, Rosa Louisa, the oldest daughter was 9 years and Jessie Ann was 7 years old. Living this type of life was a very new experience for them, they had been raised in large cities, mostly in London. Their only experience with life of this kind was their rare visits to their grandmother Crunkhorn’s and their Aunt Mary Ann Bannister’s home. They lived on a farm, where they were in the pig raising business in Stanground, Huntingdon, England. Preparations were finally completed and they joined the Horton D Haight company, a division of the Amassa M. Lyman Company, to cross the plains. They left Florence, Nebraska 9 Aug. 1863 to start their journey west. Their wagon train consisted of 52, several of which were loaded with church freight, two with gun powder., James William, the oldest son, drove the team of oxen most of the way to Utah, being young, brave and daring and filled with the vigor of youth, he enjoyed it. In the history James William wrote of his life, he describes their journey across the plains as a pleasant one from start to finish. They saw many Indians, but they caused them no trouble, at all times they were friendly. They arrived at Salt Lake City 4 Oct. 1863. Shortly after they arrived at Salt Lake City, they traded their oxen and wagon to a man named Brother Boley, for a two story adobe house and lot. The lot was where the old Court House in Salt Lake City now stands, about the middle of the city. They lived there for two winters, the first winter after they arrived, that summer and then the next winter and spring. During the summer they were in Salt Lake, they worked on the canal which was planned for navigation for the purpose of bringing granite from Little Cottonwood Canyon to build the Salt Lake temple. Their wages were $2.00 per day and board. The pay was to consist of one third store pay,one third to the tithing office and one third to be paid with wild horses from the church. Provisions and clothing were very high during th wintar of 1864, flour was $25.00 a hundred, boots $9.00 to $12.00 a pair, It was a difficult time for most of the people, but still the saints kept on working and building. During the time they lived in Salt Lake, the tabernacle was being errected. In the spring of 1865, the son, James William, went l00 miles north of Salt Lake and stopped in the town of Smithfield, Utah. He was hired by Bishop Samuel Roskelly to work for $60 a month to do various kinds of employment such as hauling rock, and working in hay. The first summer James William worked, he drove a team to Montana for Mr. Roskelly, loaded with flour. The flour sold at Silver Bow, Montana for $40.00 per hundred. Lt Silver Bow they were loaded up with supplies for a mining camp in an isolated area. The miners were happy to see them and they paid them $10 per day to stay and drag in timber for them to use in tha mine, but it was difficult to take care of their horses so they couldn’t stay long. By November of the same year, James William had purchaced two yoke of cattle and had moved his fathers family to Smithfield. They rented a house on the north side of the creek and lived thare for 10 months, the rent costing $2.00 per month. James William, the son was given to city lots in the north east part of Smithfield, which he fenced and improved, so the family moved to the new lots and lived during the Fall and winter of 1866-67. They needed a team and wagon and cows to make a living in Smithfield, so James and his son, James William, went to Salt Lake and sold their home in Salt Lake for $1000 dollars, $500 more than they had paid for it in 1863. While they were living in Salt lake, James got his feelings hurt over something that happened and from then on he was never very strong in the church. However, there is no record of him ever leaving the church, he probably just withdrew himself and became indifferent. Louisa continued to keep her faith and testimony, she went to the Endowment House while they were in Salt Lake and got her endowments 1 Oct. 1864. While they lived in Smithfield, James herded cows north of the town. He drove the cows out in the morning, herded them during the day and returned with them at night. Most of the time he walked with a cane, he seldom rode a horse. In the summer of 1867 the family moved to Franklin. James William, the son, owned the lots in Franklin where most of the stores now stand (1966), the lots where the drug store, grocery store and post. office are now built. However, he did not remain in Franklin very long. In James William’s autobiography he says” I lived in Franklin only through that summer, then I moved to Weston (the part that is now known as Dayton) that fall. There was just one row of houses. We lived in a dug-out cellar that winter. The next summer I got a lot and built a log house and lived there until the fall of 1869.I was the 10th settler in Weston (Dayton) “. It is not definitly known who he meant lived with him , but it must have been his father, James and his brother Fredrick because both of them later homesteaded in Dayton. At this time James and his wife Louisa had divorced and she was living in Franklin with their daughter’s, Rosa and Jessie. The exact cause of the divorce is not known but is assumed that part of the trouble was caused in Salt Lake when James didn’t go to the Endowment House with Louisa to be sealed. She knew she must be sealed to her husband to gain the highest blessings of the gospel, and she wanted her dear children sealed to them. James got his Bill of Divorce from the Probate County of Cache at Sm1thfield Utah the 12th of April 1867. The following fall after they had moved to Franklin, Louisa married a polygamist, Gabriel Mayberry on 12th of Oct 1867 and was sealed to him. This marriage did not last long, for some reason it was not suitable to Louisa so she had this sealing canceled on 6 April 1872. Louisa seemed to be a very religious person and had joined the church and emigrated so she could receive the blessings of the gospel and have their family sealed to her and James. But this joy never came to her in life. James and Louisa loved each other very dearly and it was sad that they both had to live lonely life separated from each other in their later years. James never ceased to love Louisa, (1 have several letters James wrote to his children to show this). He asked them to take care of her and to go see her when she was ill. James and Louisa were very fond of their children and they wrote to them often, expressing their love and affection. In September 1870, James was in North Ogden working. While there, he wrote the following letter to his son, James William: North Ogden, Dear James WIlliam, 4 Sept. 1870 Sunday I received your last note on the 18th and was glad to hear that your self and wife was quite well and comfortable, and I hope please God that you will still remain so through life. Brother Stevens will make you a good pair of strong winter boots, ready for you when you come over. I was glad to find that my poor old Jessie and Rosa was coming over with yourself. The peaches will not be very long before they are ripe. I will write to you in good time when the peaches are ready I was glad to hear about your wheat, rye, and potatoes, oats and barley. I hope we shall have luck with them. I was sorry to find out that you was not going to put the new house up at Weston, the old one is not fit to live in for the winter, in the first place it wants half a new roof putting on the back and also dobbing outside and inside and a new strong door to make it anything like comfortable for the winter. It would not take more than 3 or 4 days to do all that, and you might go over to Weston and help Fredy to do it. My old horse has been lame this last two weeks and I have been oblige to walk every day. I hope he has got over his lameness tomarrow. I am going to have to save up and get one. I wish you could get me a good big slut to help Mager another summer, Mager is to small a dog. I am oblige to have one to help him. I know a man which is a boss on the U.P. Railroad. I think perhaps he can get me a situation on the line as a Road Walker, that is to walk on the line 6 miles out and the same back to see if everything is all right. $75 dollars per month in cash. You must not name it to anyone, if I get it before my herd is giving up. Fredy must come over for a little time. It would do us good if it was only for 2 or 3 months. I am quite well and I hope it will find yourself and wife the same and Rosa and Jessie. With my kind love to you both and believe me, Dear James Wm. Your Affectionate Father James Atkinson James Williàm, the son, had married about two months before James wrote the above letter to him. He married Rebecca Põrritt 27 June 1870 in Brigham City, Box Elder County, Utah Territory. They were married by Samuel Smith, probate Judge. At this tirne James William was 22 years old,his wife was a few years older than he was. This was the first marriage in James and Louisa’s family. It was a happy marriage, however they were not blessed with any children. In 1869, the year prior to his marriage, James William had moved to Gentile Valley and took up a place there under the Squatter’s Rights Claim. He was the 3rd settler in Gentile Valley in 1869. He and his wife stayed there until 1874, then they returned to Dayton. He and his brother, Fred, bid on the U.S. Mail Carriers job from Franklin to Soda Springs and got it for two, four year terms, then for the next 8 years they carried mail to Soda Springs once a week, in the summer with teams and wagon, hauling freight also, and in the winter by snow shoe through the mountians. While in Dayton, James William also homesteaded a piece of land Frederick Henry, James and Louisa’s second son, married Matilda Adelaide Sperry 1 Jan. 1874 and from that time on he lived in Dayton. He homesteaded a farm there and raised a large family of 11 healthy, happy children. Being one of the first settlers, along with his father and brother, he saw the growth of Dayton from the time it was called Chadville in 1879, then Five Mile (because it was five miles from Weston and five miles frçm Clifton), then later when it was known as Dayton. He and his family played a very important part in the building up of this town. James and daughter, Rosa Louisa, a lovely young lady, married, first, William Woodward, a poligimist from Franklin. They were married 5 Jan. 1871 at Great Salt Lake City. This marriage was very soon cancelled. Rosa then went to Soda Springs. While she was doing house work there, she met and married Joshua James Call, 23 Dec. 1872, at Soda Springs, Idaho, and they continued to reside there after their marriage.They also had a large family of ten beautiful children. Rosa was a doctor,midwife and nurse around Soda Springs for years. She nursed the sick through diptheria, small-pox or whatever. She was the first of the children to pass away after Fanny Eliza died in Florence, Nebraska. Rosa died 12 May 1912. Jessie Ann, youngest daughter of James and Louisa, was married on Monday, 13 1877 to John Mathew Patton at Gentile Valley, Oneida Co.,Idaho Territory, North America by Mr. Morrison, Justice of the Peace. John Mathew Patton was from Jefferson Co., Indiana. Jessie Ann worked in Soda Springs, before she was married, in a restraunt. After they were married they lived in Soda Springs for a while, then they moved to Bancroft, Idaho, not far from Soda Springs. Her husband worked on the coal shute for the railroad company. They later moved to Pocatello, Idaho, then to Bakers, Oregan and then to Minidoka, Idaho. This couple also had a nice family of 8 children in all, 7 boys and 1 girl. . A great sorrow came to the Atkinson family 3 Oct. 1878. James William’s wife, Rebecca Porritt, passed away after a lingering illness, and she was buried in the Franklin cemetery. After this marriage, James William married two other lovely women, a widow, Mary Handy Vail with 5 children (4 living) and Emeline Vail. He married Mary Handy Vail 17 Feb. 1879 in Franklin, Idaho and Emeline Vail in Mar. 1881 In Salt Lake City, Utah. Mary was mother of six more children by this marriage and Emeline was the mother of 11 healthy children. This made a family of 17 children for James William and his wives. He settled in Coveville, Utah and raised his family there. Later, in 1895,he homesteaded a ranch in Treasureton,Idaho. In 1916 he made his last move, this was to Franklin, Idaho where he lived the remainder of his life. He passed away 29 Feb. 1936 at age of 87 years and 8 months. James Atkinson got his Naturalization Papers to become a Citizen of the United States of America the 13 June 1887 in the county of Oneida. His son, Frederick Henry, was one of the witnesses that had to sign for him. Evidently Frederick had been declared a citizen prior to this time or he could not have been a witness. It is not known when Louisa got her Naturalization papers. Louisa had an old home on a lot in Franklin across the road from the southeast corner of the present ball park. Most of the time she lived there but she also lived in a place not far from her son, Frederick, near Dayton about 1883 and 1884. On 17 May 1884 she wrote the following in a letter postmarked “Clifton” “ My garden looks very nice, gooseberries, raspberries, and strawberries all in blossom, flower seeds all up nice, plenty of radishes and lettuce to pull up in another week from now, black seed onions all up and button onions 4 inches high, my early potatoes are up nice”. Louisa also raised a few chickens by hatching them so she sometimes had a few eggs to sell or trade at the market. She did all she could to help keep herself. Sometimes she rented her house In Franklin for a while, but it was for only a meager rent. She often had a difficult time getting the necessities of life Louisa was a small women, very neat and clean in appearance and in her house keeping. In a letter James William wrote to his father, James,1 July 1870 to describe Rebecca Porritt, his first wife, he made the following comment about his mother, Louisa. “She (meaning Rebecca) is a very virtuous women and a very good housekeeper, just as good as mamma herself and you know how that is, she is very clean and tidy and always wants to keep so, and so you will see for yourself when you come over, so you may rest contented about that, because I am always on my guard about such things as that, she just suits me to a T” . Most of her later years, Louisa spent in Franklin in her home there She visited her children, especially James William’s family because he was nearer. She could walk across the meadows from Franklin to Coveville,where they lived, it was only a few miles. One winter when she got older she lived with James William and his wife, Emeline, in Coveville, Utah. Louisa took sick on the 29th of August with a paralytic Stroke and died on 3 Sept. 1895. She was buried 5 Sept. 1895 in the Franklin cemetery. She died at the age of 75. It was a hard life. for her, I imagine many times she wished she could go back to dear old England and see her mother and family. Her family and friends grieved her passing and they still revere her memory, she was a lovely lady who was brave enough and determined enough to be a pioneer and face the hardships it required. Through the latter years of his life, James also lived with some of his children, he would stay with them for a time and then visit another family. For a while he went back to Dayton and lived in a little new log house, this was about the year 1883. James homesteaded a place in Dayton by his son Frederick, with the intention of selling it to Fred when he had established his claim to it. This way Fred would have a larger farm when he needed it later on. James and his Sons contributed a great deal to the building up of Dayton. Most of his time though, James spent with his daughter Rosa and her family in Soda Springs, Idaho. Rosa and her family lived in Soda Springs almost from the beginning of its settlement and by visiting often with Rosa and Jessie, James witnessed the growth and development of this barren, sage brush country into a thriving prosperous town. There were many Indians around Soda Springs in those days and it was with fear that the people traveled about sometimes. While Jessie was living at Bancroft, she sometimes rode in the caboose of the train on her way to see her father and sister Rosa in Soda Springs, for fear of the Indians. There were plenty of deer in Soda Springs in those years and they were able to enjoy an abundance of fresh meat. Rosa’s husband kept them supplied. James dearly loved his grand children and particularly those children of Rosa’s because he was with them so much. He called one of them his “Little Dancer” and it delighted his heart to see her dance around when she was so young. It was while he was with his deughter, Rosa, at Soda Springs that he passed away the 1 Sept. 1898. He was 87 years and 9 months old at the time of his death. They brought his body from Soda Springs in a wagon and buried him in the Dayton cemetery. Before his death, James Atkinson wrote his own epitaph as follows: To the Memory of James Atkinson of Whittlsea, Cambridgeshire, England Born January 3rd 1811 Died, the Month and the date of the year Youngest son of the late Wrn. P. Atkinson Esq. And grandson of the late . Rev. Richard Atkinson (Rector) of St. Mary’s Church Whittlesea, England and to Bear River Ranch Nov. 26th 1871 Idaho . His passing was a great sorrow to his family, they all loved him. They had been pioneers together, learned to pass through trials, hardships and pleasures. The closeness in their travels to Zion kept their feelings and concern for each other strong. May it be the same with his posterity, a special, united feeling of love and unity, that is the way he would like it to be. He loved all his family so dearly. This biography was written by Emmeline C. MaKay, Weston, Idaho (great grand daughter of James and. Louisa Atkinson) It is a true history, compiled by using the Family Records made by James Atkinson, (most of them original copies), letters and keepsakes of the Atkinson family he preserved, the histories of his children, government documents, church records, ,parish of Whittlesea records and the memory of Henry Clipson Atkinson of Franklin, Idaho, born 12 Apr. 1882 (grandson of James Atkinson), and memory of Almeda A. Chatterton of, Franklin, Idaho, born 26 Apr. 1889 (grand daughter of James Atkinson) Written--July 1966 Because of the great love James and Louisa had for their grand children, and especially for the way James recorded the birth of his grandchildren when they were born, I feel it would be pleasing to him if a list of his grandchildren’s names was added to his history. #1 CHILDREN OF JAMES WILLIAM PLUMMER ATKINSON AND MARY HANDY (VAIL) James William Atkinson 3 dec 1879 Dayton Idaho 22 April 1963 John Frederick Atkinson 10 Jul 1882 Coveville Utah 10 Oct 1966 Fannie Eliza Atkinson 20 Mar 1884 Coveville Utah 23 Jam 1979 Alice Louisa Atkinson 22 Apr 1887 Coveville Utah 19 May 1956 Lilly Jane Atkinson 7 Apr 1889 Coveville Utah 14 Aug 1971 Le8ter LeRoy Atkinson 14 Aug 1891 Coveville Utah 7 Jan 1976 CHILDREN OF JAMES WILLAM PLUMMER ATKINSON AND EMELINE VAILl Henry Clipson Atkinson 12 Apr 1882 Coveville Utah 21 Aug 1971 Jessie Ann Atkinson 15 Sept 1884 Coveville Utah 15 Sept 1887 George Richard Atkinson 12 Sept 1886 Coveville Utah 22 oct 1980 Almeda Bell Atkinson 26 Apr 1889 Coveville Utah 5 Sept 1975 Myrtle May Atkinson 10 Apr 1891 Coveville Utah 9 Apr 1892 Alvin Louis Atkinson 17 Feb 1893 Coveville Utah 23 Sep 1972 Violet Mary Atkinson 10 Dec 1895 Coveville Utah 30 Oct 1986 Frederick Charles Atkinson 16 Aug 1898 Coveville Utah 30 Apr 1970 Daisy Rebecca Atkinson 13 Dec 1900 Coveville Utah 7 Jan 1901 Nellie Fay Atkinson 21 Jun 1902 Coveville Utah 14 Mar 1904 Golden William Atkinson 28 Jan 1905 Coveville Utah 22 Feb 1983 #2 CHILDREN OF FREDERICK HENRY AND MATILDA ADELAIDE SPERRY Frederick Henry Atkinson 28 Nov 1874 Cliffton Idaho 9 July 1948 William Charles Atkinson 1 Sept 1876 Cliffton Idaho 19 Nov 1888 James Alvin Atkinson 11 Apr 1878 Franklin Idaho 13 Mar 1923 John Richard Atkinson 31 Dec 1880 Franklin Idaho 9 May 1881 Samuel Hyrum Atkinson 13 Feb 1882 Dayton Idaho 3 Nov 1966 Dora Matilda Atkinson 12 Feb 1884 Dayton Idaho` 23 Feb 1901 Nora Ann Atkinson 4 Dec 1885 Dayton Idaho 23 Oct 1975 Frank Walter Atkinson 4 May 1890 Dayton Idaho 26 Aug 1952 Earl Joseph Atkinson 29 May 1894 Dayton Idaho 30 Sept 1989 May Elzina Atkinson 18 Jun 18896 Dayton Idaho 17 Oct 1993 Pearl Eva Atkinson 5 Feb 1899 Dayton Idaho 21 Jan 1987 #3CHILDREN OF ROSA LOUISA ATKINSON AND JOSHUA JAMES CALL Louisa Arm Call 4 Aug 1874 Soda Springs Idaho 3 April 1973 Alice Elmyra Call 29 Jan 1876 “ 2 Aug 1049 Rosa Jane Call 29 Jun 1877 “ 5 Nov 1969 James Henry Cell 19 Oct 1878 Gentile Valley Idaho 16 Mar 1964 Jessie Bell Call 24 Aug 1881 Soda Springs, Idaho. 15 Jun 1979 Daisy Elizabeth Call 14 June 1883 “ 19 Mar 1930 Charles Francis CalI 19 Oct 1885 “ 20 Oct 1957 Lily Mary Call 18 Feb 1887 “ 27 April 1984 Violet Fanny Call 29 June 1890 “ 25 Mar 1919 Frederick John Call 9 Nov 1892 “ 31 Oct 1918 #4CHILDREN OF JESSIE ANN ATKINSON AND JOHN MATHEW PATTON Thomas Jefferson Patton 13 July 1856- 5 Nov 1951 Soda Springs, Ida. John Matthew Patton (.Jr.) 30 May 1881- 22 Jan 1882 “ Fred Henry Patton 17 Nov 1882 -19 Nov 1913 “ William Harrison Patton 22 Feb 1885- 30 June 1964 “ Walter Francis Patton 10 Sept 1887- 1 Jan 1955 “ George W. Patton 25 Aug 1889- 4 Sept 1890 “ Frank Bancrof t Patton 26 Dec 1892- 10 Jan 1963 Bancroft t, Idaho Rosa Belle Patton 29 Apr 1896- 28 Mar 1978 Bancroft t, Idaho\ Total -- 46 grand children ( some death dates have been added at the time of this re-type) Note: Louisa Crunkhorn, wife of James Atkinson, was born 9 June1820 in Standground,Huntingdon, England. Her father was John Crookhorn and her mother was Mary- Mitchell Crookhorn. When she was just one month old, she was christned in the Church of England, 9 July 1820. There seems to be a change of spelling in the surname between the generation of Louisa ‘s father and Louisa • The surname seems to be spelled Crookhorn in the parish registers, but Louisa always spelled it Crunkhorn. Which one is correct, I do not know, but often there is a difference in the spelling of a name by different record keeper they each put their own interpretation on the spelling and therefore they spelled the way they thought it should be spelled.She only had one sister, MaryAnn Crunkhorn . She was Christened 30 Dec 18l2 in Stanground, Hunts. England. Most of the history of Louisa is included in the history of James Atkinson, a sort of history for both of them, so an individual history- of Louisa will not be included in this book as it is already to large. But a separate history of her is given in the Crunkhorn Book of Genealogy I am beginning to compile. I hope I get it completed. ) By....Emeline C. McKay Logan Temple Record....The Sealing of James and Louisa’s children to then. Book C. P. 224 Atkinson- James William Proxy James Tucker Atkinson- Louisa Crunkhorn Proxy Matilda A. S. Atkinson 18446 Frederick Henry Atkinson Born 10 Nov 1851, Stanground Huntington England Died 19 Sept 1901 Proxy Richard Crowther 18447 Rosa Lousia Atkinson Born 23 Jan 1854 Whittlesea, Huntington, England Proxy Harriet L.V. Henderson 18448 Jessie Ann Atkinson Born 13 July 1856Dalston, London, England Proxy-Mary E. S. Harmon 18449 Fanny Eliza Atkinson Born July 1863 Proxy Susan A.C. Sewell

History of William Plummer Atkinson and his family

Contributor: BarbaraLeishman Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

History of William Plummer Atkinson By Emmeline Chatterton McKay ( 2nd gr granddaughter) written in 1977 William Plummer Atkinson was the third child, and the only son of Rev. Richard Atkinson and his wife, Rebecca Plummer. He was born in the St. Mary’s church in Whittlesey, Camb. England on October 8 1764. He was christened in the same Church on 9 October 1764, the day after he was born. His mother died before he was 4. years old and left 3 small children to be raised by someone else. She died the 26th of June l768 at age 40, and was buried in Whittlesey. His father was Reverend of the St. Mary’s church in Whittlesey at this time. It is not known who raised the children to maturity besides their father, but the children did have a Spinster aunt, a sister to their mother, who was named Elizabeth Plummer. There were three girls born into this family, sisters to William Plummer Atkinson. The oldest was Mary, she was chr 14 Aug 1761, but she only lived two months and was buried 17 Oct 1761. The next sister born was also named Mary, she was christened 17 September 1762. His other sister, the youngest, named Elizabeth Atkinson, was christened l April 1766, and she was only two when her mother died. When William Plummer was 17 years old, his father also died, 10 October 178l. At age 21, William Plummer Atkinson, married Rebecca Clipson at Wimblington, Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England 25 Oct l785. She was l8 at the time of their marriage. Rebecca was born 6 Jan 1767 , daughter of John Clipson and Ann Russell and they also resided at Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England, and March, Cambs. William P1ummer Atkinson and Rebecca lived in Whittlesey for a few years after their marriage, their first children were baptized there in the St. Mary’s church in Whittlesey. They had a happy 1ife, William worked mostly at farming and owned considerable land. He seemed to have a good education and used good judgment in all his affairs of life. They were the parents of 15 lovely children. Their youngest child, James Atkinson, his youngest son, is the progenitor of this branch of the Atkinson fami1y. As can be noted when observing the record of births in this family, some of the children died in infancy, and when another child of the same sex was born, they named it the same name as the one that had died. This was a common custom at this period of time in England. It is said they had l8 children, but 15 children is all we have records of. If there were l8, the others must have died at birth, or were premature. Following is a list of the 15 children that we have found records for: 1. Ann Atkinson b. 2 Aug 1786 Whittlesey d.8 Jan 1871 84 yrs 2. Rebecca Atkinson b.16 Feb 1788 “ d.10 Aug 1788 6mo 3. Richard Atkinson b.9 Apr 1789 “ d.15 Jun 1867 76 yrs 4. Rebecca Atkinson b.14 Mar 1791 “ d.12 May 1828 37 yrs 5. Elizabeth Atkinson b.7 Jan 1792 “ d.31 Aug 1792 8mo 6. John Atkinson b.6 July 1793 “ d.1832 39 yrs 7. Henry Atkinson b.20 May 1795 “ d.31 Aug 1795 3 mo 8. Elizabeth Atkinson b.18 Sept 1796 “ d.25 Sept 1798 2 yrs 9. Mary Atkinson b.17 Apr 1798 “ d.9 Oct 1798 6 mo 10. Henry Clipson Atk. b.24 Aug 1799 Doddington d.15 Jun 1867 68yrs 11. Elizabeth Atkinson b.27 May 1801 “ d.30 Apr 1861 60 yrs 12. Charles Atkinson b.29 Dec 1802 “ d.25 Feb 1845 45 yrs 13. Mary Atkinson b.10 Apr 1805 “ d.3 Feb 1806 10 mo 14. Edward Atkinson b.21 June 1807 “ d.12 Feb 1808 8 mo 15. James Atkinson b.3 Jan 1811 Whittlesey d.1 Sept 1898 87 yrs William P1ummer Atkinson and his wife, Rebecca, seemed to have plenty of finances to raise their large family with, they had considerable property and holdings and land. Just where and how they acquired all this property is not known yet, but William did get some of it by a Will that was left by his Aunt, Elizabeth Plummer, a spinster, she was a sister to his mother. Whether his mother had some left to her is not known yet, more research will need to be done to find out. On the 12th of October 1844, just six months before his death William Plummer Atkinson made a Will, leaving his ready money, securities and personal estate property to his two youngest sons one third to his son Charles and two thirds to James, his youngest son. Richard, the oldest son of William Plummer Atkinson, was living in March, Cambridgeshire, he was a farmer and no doubt had received his Share of the estate earlier. He was appointed the ministrator of his father’s will. Everything seemed to be done fair and legal. Richard, the administrator, was to receive the monies for rent and sale of property, and in turn to give a receipt for such received. The money was given by yearly allowance to the heirs named in the Will by an appointed attorney, and this to was done by receipt. When the heirs wanted some of the allowance, they had to request it, then when they received it, they had to return a signed receipt by return mail, acknowledging that they had received the money. A copy of the Will follows: WILL OF WILLIAM PLUMMER ATKINSON Scource— Salt Lake Library Date Found 27 Feb 1963 Found by: Emmeline C. McKay F. Camb. 2 Pt. 55 1840-1842 p. 295 . II Willaim Plummer Atkinson made the Will at Whittlesey, Camb.,England. Will dated 12 Oct 1844 proved 27 Oct 1845. Died 8 April 1845. The following paragraph copied exactly as it was written: I give anise and bequeath all and singular my Mepuages Cottages ,Lands, Grounds,Tenements. and Hereditaments and Real Estates whatsoever and wheresoever the same may be situated and being. And also my ready money and securities for money goods, chattles and all and singular other my personal estate property and effects whatsoever and wheresoever and every part and parcel of the same with the appurtances unto and to the use of my son Richard Atkinson of March in the said Isle of Ely Farmer my executor. The following is a brief description of the contents of the wi11, it was long, but gave no more information than follows ; After his (William Plunmer Atkinson’s) death the administrator was to sell and dispose of all his properties and the Money’s to be paid to Richard Atkinson by receipt, or to his heirs the same way. With the clear monies after he sold the property, he was to “Pay one third to my son Charles for his absolute use, and two parts to my son James for his absolute use” and it was to be given to them by their receipt to the administrator. And I give and bequeath unto the said Richard his heirs and executors administrators and asigns all such Freehold Copyhold and Lease hold Mepuages Lands, Tenements and herediments as now vested in me to be administrator over. Another thing that gives proof that he had a large estate was the entry in the 1851 Census- of Whittlesey, where William Plummer Atkinson’s son, Henry Clipson lived. Henry Clipson Atkinson reported that he was a farmer and owned 4OO acres of laid and had 10 laborers. He had received his share of the estate before because he was living in the same place in Whittlesev, and was a farmer at the time both the 1841 and 1851 census was taken. In 1799, when their son, Henry Clipson, was christened, they were living in Doddington, Carnbridgeshire. William Plummer Atkinsonl was acting as the Church Warden in Doddington at this time. A Church Warden was an officer in the church, having the responsibility of caring for the church property, and of the poor in the parish. This was an unpaid position they were usually appointed yearly, and it was a responsible position as they had to assist the minister in whatever needed to be done. We should feel proud of him to think he loved his church enough to want to donate his time to help, it would of necessity and be a time consuming job. He and his wife and children all seemed devoted members of his father’s church—-the St.Mary’s Church of England. It is known that William Plurnmer Atkinson and his wife, had servants. James, the youngest son brought with him to America, the bell his parents used to call their servants with. The bell is small, about the size of a teacup and shiny, with a handle on it and made of very good metal. The bell rings loud and clear with a beautiful tone. The bell is now in the possession of a great grand daughter, Mrs. Jessie Larsen, Soda Springs, Idaho. James also brought some beautiful china to America that belonged to his parents, and it is now in possession of another great granddaughter, Mrs. Annie Worstrom, Pocatello, Idaho. William P1ummer Atkinson must have had a very good education as he was a beautiful penman, used good judgement in what he undertook to do, and all that is known of his children indicates that they were well trained and had considerable schooling. He seemed to be a very loving father and proud of his children, and the children in turn all seemed to love and respect their parents. William Plummer Atkinson was a large man in stature, being six feet tall and weighing 252 pounds. James Atkinson described his father’s weight as 15 Stones, 14 lbs. to stone or 252 pounds. On 28 February 1845, William Plummer Atkinson ‘s 12th child Charles Atkinson, died at the home of his sister, Elizabeth Atkinson Roper. The last letter that William Plummer Atkinson wrote to his son James in England, was a letter telling about the death of his son Charles. Following is a copy of the letter: Coats, March 1 1845 Dear James, I had a letter from Mr. Roper announcing the death of your brother Charles yesterday morn at a quarter before three. He died without a struggle. I thank God, I wish it may be the lot of us. all. I thought it right to inform you. Yours Truly, W P Atkinson Just five weeks after this letter was written, William Plummer Atkinson, died at Coats, Cambridgeshire, England at the age of 8l years. He died the 8 th of April l845. Rebecca, his wife, had proceeded him in death, she died 14 years before he did, on 2 July l83l at age 65. She died in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, England. Not much is known about the ancestors of Rebecca Clipson, except that she was born 6 Jan 1767, and was the daughter o1 John Clipson and Rebecca and they lived in Doddington, Camb. England. From letters and family records of James Atkinson, we know Rebecca had a sister named Elizabeth Çlipson that married a Dr. William Wray (or Ray) in 1792 at the same parish Rebecca married, namely Doddington. This sister and her husband resided in March, Camb., and had a family, one son that was a surgeon also, and named Clipson Wray. Research will be done to determine if more can be found on the Clipson family. We should be very grateful to James Atkinson, (great grand father)for preserving the countless letters and records that he did to give us clues as to when and where to look for his ancestors. Sources of Information used to write this. History and to Compile the Family Group Sheet. 1. Family records of James Atkinson and William Plummer Atkinson 2. Boyd’s marriage Index (Camb. 12 Vol. 13 l776—l800) 3. Ely Consistory Court, Wills and Admons (F Camb. 2 pt. 55 Ser No. 23383-1840-1842) 4. Census of Whittlesey (Eng. F 65 Pt. 40 Ser No. 31310) 5. 1851 Census of Whittlesey (F Eng 17 Pt. 86 ser no. 26139 #75 6. Original letters written to James Atkinson in America by his brothers and sisters in England. 7. Parish Registers of Whittlesey and Doddington, Eng. by correspondence. (In as much as there were many items of information given in the family records of James Atkinson and the letters he received from his family in England, a considerable amount of information was gleaned from these in respect to the children of William Plunner Atkinson and Rebecca, his wife. I have attempted to put it together into a short history of each of the children that lived to maturity, so that it can be used for genealogical purposes and to determine where and when to search for more records of this family. I acknowledge that it is by no means complete. But it will serve its purpose. By Emmeline C. McKav...l977. The histories will follow in the children’s order of birth). #1 ANN ATKINSON Ann Atkinson was the oldest child of William Plumrner Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. She was born 2 August 1786. She married 1st Nathaniel Goodman 8 Nov. 1808 at Doddingtón, Camb., England. They were the parents of one child, Mary Goodman, who died at the age of 3 on 3 May 1813. Nathaniel Goodman died 18 June 1813 at age of 22. Ann then married second, Dr. John HiIl 21 April 1814 at 1st Hinkley, Leicešter, England. Ann and Dr. John Hill had a large family, 5 boys and two girls They lived in Leicester to raise most of their family. They had means to raise their family as she received some share of her father’s estate and her husbands profession. Her son, William, was a physician also. Their oldest daughter, Sophie, married Sir George Hayes, Judge over the Midland District (circuit) and who,in 1868 was promoted to the Bench of Judges and then was called, Mr. Justice Hayes. Sophie and Sir George Hayes were the parents of 8 children, 4 bovs and 4 girls, two boys were twins. Four of Ann Atkinson’s and Dr. John Hill’s sons, left England and went to Australia. While in Australia three of them died, Frank, Charles and William. Frank died at age 30 in 1863, William in 1865 and Charles in 1866. Edward J. Hill, the other son of Ann, was spared to return home. Following is an extract from one of Ann Hill’s letters written 23 Jan. 1867 to James Atkinson in America, describing what happened to her sons: “William lived in Port Elliot, South Australia, he died suddenly after a fit of epoplexy. He was living near Adelaide. He leaves a widow and four children, 3 sons and a daughter, who since their loss have been living with Mrs. William ‘s father and mother in Australia, not far distant from where they lived during my son’s lifetime. Charles died after an illness of 14 months. Edward was spared to move dear Charles and lay his remains in the same grave with his brother, Frank, who died in 1863. They both are buried in the cemetery at Sandhurst. After this grief and attendance of Charles Edwards health broke down and he was ill when he got on board ship to come home. He hardly thought he would live through the voyage but the sea air had a good effect. He arrived at Gravesend the 11th of this month.” . The same letter to James says she, Ann Hill, is in good health when she is 81 years old, but at best her time on earth is: not long. She writes to James, “Bring up your children in the fear of God and in that faith to which they belong. I mean our church. Your grandfather Atkinson was a clergyman of the Church of England, and we were all of us brought up in that Faith”. (She wrote this letter to James after he and his wife had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints arid came to America.) Ann’s son, Henry, stayed by her in England, married and 1869 had 4. children, two girls and then two boys, the youngest boy died after the effects of whooping cough left him a puny child. Ann always seemed grateful that her son, Henry, stayed by her. They were all living at St. James Road, Kingston on the Thames, London, England. Ann was a beautiful writer, described things clearly and her writing was neat and readable. She had a deep love for her brothers and sisters, family and kinfolk. Much credit for the records and knowledge we have today of the Atkinson’s should be given to Ann Atkinson Hill. Her letters to James in America brought detail of births, marriages and deaths of members of the entire family, as well as many items of interest in their affairs and travels. She corresponded frequently with James and always treated him as a big sister that was 1ooking out for his welfare. On 31 Oct Ann wrote a letter to James expressing how she felt over not knowing of her brother, Henry Clipson ‘s death. Always there seemed to be such a close relationship between Ann and her brothers and sisters. Following is an extract of the letter she wrote: “None of us knew of Henry Clipson’s death. We only knew of his death by the Cambridge Chronicle. I do not know how his property was disposed of but I heard that there would be little left after his affairs were settled. It is very- sad to have been so near and yet so far off, and no reason for it as there never was any disagreement between him and his family, and whenever we met always made us welcome and so we should have been to him if he would have permitted it, There is only Laxon left now, and we know nothing whatever about him” In June 1865 Ann Hill was visiting in March and went to see her Brother Richard on the 14th, walked in the garden with him and shook his hand and planned to go see him on the marrow, but during the night he took suddenly ill and passed away the next morning. Ann was always grateful she had seen him. He was 76 years old when he died. Ann suffered a great deal with rheumatism in her last years, her hands got so bad she could not write only occasionally and then with much pain, at a few times she was unable to feed her self and was confined to her bed often. In December l7 she had her son Edward write to James because she was unable to write. On 8 Jan. l871 she passed away at the age of 85. Dr. John Hill, husband to Ann Atkinson, was born in l788 and resided in Leicester, England. He died at the early- age of 60, on 4 Nov. 1848 in France. Children of Ann Atkinson Hill: . 1. Mary Goodman B. l8l0 88 Died 3 May- l8l3 age 3 2. Sophie Hill B. 3. William Hill B. l8l6 Died 30 Sep l865 age 49 4. Charles Hill B. l8l9 Died 8 May l866 age 47 5. Henry Hill 6. Edward J. Hill 7. Louise Hill B. Died Mar 1841 8. Frank Hill B. l833’ Died 1 Apr 1863 age 30 9 There may be an Adelaide #2 RICHARD ATKINSON Richard Atkinson was the first son and the third child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson, born 9 Apr l879 at Doddington, Camb. Eng. At age 24 Richard Atkinson married Ann Grounds 29 Aug l8l3. They raised a large family and most of them grew to maturity and became intelligent, competent and respectable people. Richard was a farmer and lived in March, Camb., Eng. He also received a portion of his father’s estate, that of William James Plummer Atkinson. He seemed to manage well, have good business abilities and good judgement,. therefore he seemed to prosper and increase his holdings and property. When his father made his Will 12 Oct 1844, giving the remainder of his property and holdings to Charles and James, Richard was appointed Administrator in the Will. He served his duties as administrator well, trying to be just and fair with all dealings. He served as administrator for many years, at least until July l863 when James decided to immigrate to America and drew all his inheritance to pay for the cost of taking his family to America. Richard helped his brother, James, in many details to prepare for the journey, and made a trip, to London to see him off to a new country and a new start in life. Richard’s wife died the same year as their last child, Elsdale was born. It is doubtful if Richard ever married again. Two of his children went to New Zealand, in Oct 1868 Isabel and her husband were there, also John Clipson married a went to New Zealand and was reported to leave his wife. She died and left 4 children, two boys and two girls, it is not known whether he left her in England or New Zealand . This separation of his son and his wife brought much sorrow to Richard for he was a loving father. In 1363 Richard Atkinson was traveling in France, probably on a vacation or visiting one of his children. The last year of Richard ‘s life, he and his daughters, Rosa and Sophie, lived with his daughter, Ann, and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. Algernon Woodward in March. They seemed to be a happy and congenial family. Ann’s health was quite poorly. Algernon, her husband, was a school teacher in March. He died in 1866. Ann sisters, Sophie and Rosa, still continued to live with her. Richard Atkinson died 15 June 1865, age 76, died suddenly in the night and was buried 19 June 1865 in his family Vault in March church yard. He was stricken with something the October before. He partially recovered from it, except that it left him speechless, however he could say “Yes” and No. His family were patient and always asked questions until they understood what he wanted. He left in his Will that his estate was to be sold and the proceeds equally divided amongst his children, charging to each one what had been advanced to them before, that is, deducted what they received before his death. In all things he seemed to be fair . As near as is known at this time, he had 8 children; Ann, Emma, John Clipson, Isabel, Sophie, Rosa, Tonie, and Elsdale. Elsdale was born 1832 or 1833 and died Nov 1866, Age 33 #3 REBECCA ATKINSON Rebecca Atkinson was the fourth child and third daughter of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. She was born 14 Mar. 1791 probably at Doddington, Camb., Eng. Rebecca, at age 29, married Samuel Smith, (Esquire), a surgeon in 1820. They had one daughter, Ann Stonea (or Stonec) Smith, born in 1821. This is all the children known of for this couple, in fact little is known of them as all died quite young, before many of the family records were kept. Rebecca died at age 37 on 12 May 1828 in Whittlesey. Their daughter died on 30 May 1841 at Whittlesey at age 20. Just a few days after her death, the father, Samuel Smith, died, 8 June l841 (age 42 years). #4 HENRY CLIPSON ATKINSON Henry Clipson Atkinson was the tenth child and the third son of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. He was born at Doddington, Cambridgshire, Eng. 24 August 1799, When he was 21 when he married Mary Ann Smith in the year 1820. She was born 1802, she was the daughter of Lascon Smith. Henry Clipson and Mary Ann were the parents of several children. In the year 184l, when the census of England was taken, they were living on Church Street in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire. Henry Clipson’s occupation was listed as a farmer at this time. Ten years later, when the 1851 census was taken, they were living on Gracious Street in the same town but at this time he was listed as a widower and his occupation was given as a farmer with 4OO acres and 10 laborers. His son, Henry William, and his daughter, Alice Ann, were both living with him at this time and both were listed as unmarried. He also had a House Servant, Ann Elibner Say. It is my feeling that the land he owned was mostly grazing land because Whittlesey was bounded on the north and the south by branches of the river Nene, and the area around Whittlesey was quite sparsely populated, and not the best of land. Mary Ann, Henry Clipson’s wife, died 28 March 1846. about 21years before he did so he was alone for a long time. Henry Clipson died 11 June 1867 at Whittlesey. All of his children preceded him in death except his son, Lascon. Little is known about Lascon, but on 17 May 1863 he was living at: 8 Victoria Road So. Kentish Town, London Children of Henry Clipson Atkinson that are known: 1. Henry William born 29 Sep 1821 Died 21 Jan 1866 2. Alice Ann born 26 Feb 1831 Died 1864. 3. Lascon born 1832 Sources of Information used to write this History and prepare the Family Group Sheet: 1. Family Records of James Atkinson 2. 1841 Census Records of Whittlesey, Camb. 3. 1851 census Records of “ “ 4.. Letters of Ann Atkinson Hill written to James Atkinson in America. #5 ELIZABETH ATKINSON Elizabeth Atkinson is the 11th child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. She was born 27 May 1801 at Doddington, Camb., Eng. She married Robert Roper in 1832 in Whittlesey when she was 31 years old. Elizabeth and husband had a large family, but many of the children died in infancy. It is reported they had 4 sons die in infancy. In 1863 Mr Roper’s address. was: Examiners Office, Custom House, London, England. In February 1845, Elizabeth ‘s brother, Charles., was with them in London. While he was there he passed away. It is not known how long he was there, or how long he was ill. When this letter of death was written, they lived at 7 Meredith St, Clerkenwell, London, England. This was. their address in 1859. Elizabeth died 30 April 1861 at age 60 at the same place they were living in 1859. She was buried in Victoria Park, Cemetery in London—-Grave No. 6920. Elizabeth ‘s husband, Robert Roper, was born 1806 and died at age 58 in 1864. in London. A letter dated 23 Jan 1867 from London said “The Roper’s father and sons are all dead”. There is not much that can be given for this family as far as information, because of the early death of most of the family Following are the names of all the children that are known: 1. Robert Wi1liam Roper Born l832-1833 Died 1866 age 34 2. John Charles Roper “ 20 Apr 1837 5. Richard Henry Roper Died l845 Sources of Information used to write this brief history and compile the Family Group Sheet is following: 1. Family Records of James Atkinson in my possession 2 Letters of Ann Atkinson Hill and William Plummer Atkinson written to James Atkinson in America. #6 CHARLES ATKINSON Charles Atkinson, the 12th child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson was born 29 Dec 1802 and was christened the 7th of March 1804 in Doddington, Cambridge shire, England. Why he was not christened soon after his birth is not known, it is usually done nearer to birth, but in this instance, Charles was a year and three months old when they had him christened in the St. Mary’s Church. It may have been that he was a delicate child, and they were not able to take him out to have it done. He may have been a delicate person all his life as he did not live to be only 43 years old. No record of him ever being married was ever found, and no mention of him having a wife and children was ever mentioned in the letters of the family. Charles died in London 25 Feb l845 at his sister’s place, or Elizabeth Atkinson Roper’s place. When he passed away, his father, who was living in Coats, Cambridge shire, England wrote a letter to his son, James Atkinson, in America informing him of the death of Charles. Fol1owing is a copy of the letter: Coats, March 1,1845 Dear James, I had a letter from Mr. Roper announcing the death of your brother Charles yesterday morn at a quarter before three. He died without a struggle. I thank God, I wish it may be the 1ot of us all. I thought it right to inform you. Yours Truly, W. P. Atkinson #7 JAMES ATKINSON James Atkinson was the 15th child of William Plummer Atkinson and Rebecca Clipson. He was born 3 Jan 18ll, about 3 years after his parents l4th child. Rebecca, at the time of his birth, was 44 years old. His parents loved him dearly as he was their last child. When James was 20 years old, his mother died. This changed the life of the whole family. James had considerable schooling and was quite knowledgeable. He was a beautiful penman and very articulate in his record keeping and writing. He preserved many records and letters of his family and relatives for his decedents. On 2 Sept 1846, he married Louisa Crunkhorn from Stanground, Huntingdonshire, England. They were married in Newington, London, Surrey, England. James and Louisa were the parents of five children as follows: 1. James William Plummer Atkinson born 28 July 1848 in Stanground, Hunts, Eng. 2. Frederick Henry Atkinson born 10 Nov l851 in Stanground 3. Rosa Louisa Atkinson born 23 June l854 in Whitt1esey, Camb. 4. Jessie Ann Atkinson born 13 July l856 in Dalton, London 5. Fanny Eliza Atkinson born 2 Aug 1862 in Stanground, Hunts. On 15 Aug 1858, Louisa was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Two years later, on 17 June l860 James and his two sons were baptized members of the same church as Louisa. Then they commenced thinking of emigrating to America to be with the saints. James Atkinson received some of his inheritance from his father and prepared to emigrate. They set sail 23 May l863 on the ship “Antarctic”. Soon after they got to America, while they were preparing to cross the plains, their youngest child died in Florence Nebraska. They continued to go West to Salt Lake, Utah, then to Smithfield, Utah, then to Franklin, Idaho. Their children all married and had quite large families. They have a large posterity in the western part of the United States. James Atkinson died in Soda Springs, Idaho 1 Sep l995 at the home of his daughter, Rosa. He lived to the good old age of 87 years. He was buried in Dayton, Idaho.

Life timeline of James W. Atkinson

James W. Atkinson was born on 3 Jan 1811
James W. Atkinson was 15 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
James W. Atkinson was 21 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
James W. Atkinson was 29 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
James W. Atkinson was 49 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
James W. Atkinson was 58 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
James W. Atkinson was 69 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
James W. Atkinson was 77 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
James W. Atkinson died on 1 Sep 1898 at the age of 87
Grave record for James W. Atkinson (3 Jan 1811 - 1 Sep 1898), BillionGraves Record 5220310 Dayton, Franklin, Idaho, United States