James Rolland Williams

4 Apr 1946 - 13 Sep 2004


James Rolland Williams

4 Apr 1946 - 13 Sep 2004
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

I, James R. Williams, was born April 4, 1946, in Preston, Idaho, in the Franklin County Hospital. I was born to Herbert Neils Williams and Agnes Fae Buttars Williams. I was the third of 11 children. My brothers and sisters in order of birth are Montie Herbert Williams, Deonna Fae (Fuller), myself, J
Register to get full access to the grave site record of James Rolland Williams
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

James Rolland Williams

Married: 14 May 1970

Alpine Cemetery

283 N 300 E
Alpine, Utah, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Salt Lake City, Utah Temple "Families are Forever" Williams Our Children Tenice Yvonne David James Tonya Sheree Jon Douglas Melanie Fae


July 13, 2013


July 13, 2013

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about James Rolland...

We found more records about James Rolland Williams.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James Rolland


James Rolland Williams is buried in the Alpine Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



James Rolland Williams

Contributor: kathyfield Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

I, James R. Williams, was born April 4, 1946, in Preston, Idaho, in the Franklin County Hospital. I was born to Herbert Neils Williams and Agnes Fae Buttars Williams. I was the third of 11 children. My brothers and sisters in order of birth are Montie Herbert Williams, Deonna Fae (Fuller), myself, Janet Beth Williams (Tustian), Susan Elaine Williams (Martin), Jay Laurence Williams, Mark B. Williams, Steven B. Williams, Carol Louise Williams (Phillips, Osborne), Ellen Jean Williams (Larson), and Ann Loraine Williams. My first home was a little house at the mouth of Dry Canyon Road up Weston Canyon. It was called the Nielson home. My first memory was playing on a big willow tree which we called the money tree. I can remember one of the first tractors was a steel wheel tractor my father used on the farm. We had a ditch that ran across the back of the house with a bridge across it. One day I tied a rope across the bridge before we went to do chores. After chores, I challenged my Dad to a race. I don’t know if he let me win or if I won, but I forget that I had tied the rope across the bridge. When I hit the rope, I spun around three or four times before coming to a halt. The good thing about it was my Dad had stopped to do something and didn’t see me spin on the rope. We used a workhorse to bunch rake the hay. This was before Dad had a hay bailer. When hauling loose hay, I was the truck driver. Montie would stack the hay on the back of the truck. I remember I was so short, I couldn’t reach the clutch and brakes. One day we were up on the dry farm on a hill. I didn’t know you were suppose to use the brake when you pushed in the clutch. When I pushed on the clutch the truck took off down the hill and Dad just about wasn’t able to catch up to stop the truck. We were lucky no one got hurt. I use to take the cows up Dry Canyon every day to let them graze along the roads. I didn’t like to do this very much because the cows liked to get into the fields they weren’t suppose to get into and it was an all day, hot job. This is were I got my phobia of snakes. The snakes would be in the sage brush on the sides of the road or on the road where the cows grazed. When I was eight or nine years old, we moved into the farm house tht Grandpa Rolland Williams built. That is when Dad bought Grandpa’s farm. We continued to have cows. Milking morning and night was my main chore. Montie used to pick on me until one day I grabbed him by the shoulders from behind and he couldn’t control me. From that day on, he never picked on me. We milked 20-25 cows in a unheated barn. We would bring down hot water buckets down to wash the cows off. After a while the water would get cold. My hands would get so chapped and sore that we would have to put mentholatum on them before going to bed. Not many families had it any different. Heated barns were not built at that time. We did have space heaters but sometimes it would not be enough to keep your hands warm in between milking cows. Some of my grade school friends were Max Brimhall who later died in a car accident when he was a highway patrolman and Van McKay who later committed suicide after he graduated and served in the Air Force. We used to like to ride horses Easter weekend and take our lunches. I went to Weston Elementary. We didn’t have preschool or kindergarten. I went to school in Weston from the lst grade to 6th grade. I enjoyed going on fishing trips with the scouts. Dale McKay was one of the better scout leaders to go on overnight scout trips. Junior high was held at the north end of West Side High School in Dayton, Idaho. That is when I met Dennis Phillips, Reid Perry, Kendall Fuller, and others who became my friends. In the summer, I helped Dad on the farm. Tractor work took many hours. I loved the farm; the smells and the green fields. Though the work was long and sometimes tedious, the fulfillment of a long day’s work became a lifelong satisfaction. I owe a debt of gratitude to loving parents who taught me to work. I went to West Side High School. I played football from my freshman to senior year. We had such a small high school that the freshman practiced against the varsity players. I can remember Montie being on the senior team when I was a freshman. I came home every day with a headache because the seniors like to take advantage of the freshman. I was on the varsity team when I was a junior and senior. I was the senior class president and voted Mr. West Side High at one of the dances. I didn’t play any other sports because I had farm chores. I milked cows every morning and night. It was extremely hard to practice football, go home, milk, and do farm work in the fall. Many times I would walk home from practice and catch a ride with cars going down the road. Kendall Fuller always asked if people wanted food off their trays at lunch time. He especially liked the sandwiches and sloppy joes. Soon the whole school was giving him and Joan Kendall their extra sandwiches on a competition basis. I believe Joan Kendall out ate Kendall. We very seldom went on family trips other than deer hunting. When I was about 14, Mom, Dad, Deonna, and I packed up the station wagon and went to Yellowstone which was probably my first trip there. The first night we pulled into a camping spot. I slept outside on a cot. During the night, a bear came into the neighboring camp site and literally tore it apart. I never heard anything. I slept the whole night. The next day we started to make the loop around Yellowstone. One of the main things Dad wanted to see was elk. We finally found a herd of cows and calves laying down in a meadow. Dad took the movie camera and I took a snapshot camera down fairly close to the herd to take pictures. I noticed a cow stand up behind me and I told Dad it was standing up and moving toward us. He kept the camera going and swung it around to get pictures of the cow that stood up. We were so close at that point that the cow turned blurry in the picture before he shut the camera off. The cow started to chase us and we both began to run back to the car. Dad was straight in front of me. I knew we needed to separate. Every time I turned right Dad would turn right. If I turned left, Dad turned left. Every time I looked back the cow was rearing and pawing with her front feet like she wanted to trample me. Finally Dad turned right and I turned left and that is when the cow stopped chasing us. When all this started, we were the only car up on the road. When we got back to the car - about a quarter of a mile of cars worth of people were taking pictures of us. I could feel my heart was thumping for about two hours. Dad really looked forward to going deer hunting every fall. Dad had a big white walled tent that we could put a wood stove in. We would sleep and cook in the tent. We slept on the ground. We always looked forward to it and Dad always seemed to come back at the end of the day with a big grin on his face and asked us where all our deer were. Then we would have to go pack his deer out for him. We always had a special place to go camping. It was up White’s canyon in Franklin Basin. Dad always seemed to get his deer and generally two or three of the rest of us would get one. Quite often he would take us out of school to go. I can remember being in fourth grade and Dad taking me out deer hunting. Mrs. Larson, my teacher, criticized Dad for taking me out of school to go deer hunting. It was the only time I heard Dad say that sometimes you needed to take your boys out of school to do family activities. HE seldom took us out unless it was for hunting. We lived in a farm house. The upstairs was not insulated. It had a 1/8 inch paper covering on the ceiling. It was not sheet rock but some sort of thin paper covering. There were times when it was so cold that we would wake up to a frost covering the ceiling walls. We still always seemed to be plenty warm with plenty of blankets. We always seemed to have love and happiness in the home. Mom played the piano. She played by ear and not with any music. As we were growing up, we could always go rabbit hunting. Mom and Dad never worried about us unlike today where parents must worry about kidnappings. We would be gone all day with our 22 rifles. At Christmas Dad made sure one of the gifts the boys always received was a box of 22 shells. We always received clothes for Christmas. One of my fondest memories was getting off the school bus to come home to the smell of fresh baked bread and rolls. Mom usually baked at least once a week. She would bake about a dozen loaves of bread and a couple dozen rolls. My brothers and sisters were allowed to eat all the rolls we wanted before going out to do chores. Mom was always known for her great rolls. The first girlfriend I had was Betty Lou Bingham. I didn’t date much until I was a late junior. My last high school girlfriend was Janice Bingham. She wrote me about the first year of my mission. I did date her once after my mission, but she had found someone else and she had changed. The date was to a fireside and she kept trying to sit by the guy she liked. I didn’t ask her out again. The date was pretty miserable. I should have ask if she wanted to go home, but didn’t. I graduate from high school May 1964. I went to one semester at Rick’s College in Rexburg, Idaho. The school was a two-year college. It has since become a four-year college and is called BYU Idaho. I didn’t do too well on grades because I was chasing back and forth from Rick’s to home to date Janice. I put in my mission papers. When the bishop interviewed me, he asked if I had any preferences on places I would like to serve. I told him it didn’t matter but I didn’t want to spend three months in the Provo Language Training Mission. The stake president interviewed me and I told him it didn’t matter. I didn’t say anything about the LTM. I got my mission call late spring of 1965. My got the mission call papers out of the mailbox and brought them up with Dad to the dry farm where I was working. I opened it up and didn’t know where the mission call was to - the call just said to the Andes Mission. I had an inkling that it was to South America after reading through all the paperwork. Finally it said Lima, Peru. I left of my mission in July 1965. I spent three months in the Language Training Mission. I had difficulty learning the Spanish language. At one point, I was very concerned about not passing off the discussions and talked to the mission president who started asking me questions in Spanish. I was able to answer him in English. Finally he said, you don’t have anything to worry about. I immediately passed three discussions off and was working on all the other discussions. I was able to go to Peru. I served in Lima, Peru, which is at sea level for six months. I then transferred to Huancayo, Peru, which is located at 10,000 feet. To get there, you travel by train over a pass that was over 18,000 feet. I immediately felt the effects going from sea level to that high. I t felt like someone hit me in the chest and my lungs were bruised. This is where about four sets of missionaries lived in an apartment together. One of the missionaries was John A. Harris. He eventually became a general authority, area president in the Ephraim area. He grew up in Uruguay and has served in the Church in many capacities. He has been very influential in South America in the Church Education programs. NOTE: BE SURE TO WRITE ABOUT HIM GIVING JIM A BLESSING. Mission experiences I thoroughly enjoyed Huancayo; the area was a green agricultural valley. They were excavating some of the ruins. We went up into the Andes into areas with glacier fed lakes and down to the jungle from this location. There was a street that went thought the center of town. The street was wide and built by the Inca or the people from Book of Mormon times. The name of the street was Calle Real. This name is mentioned in the Book of Mormon. From here I was transferred to Cochabamba, Bolivia. To get there I had to take a bus. The bus took a switchback road down to Lima. It was a very nerve racking ride. The driver seemed to drive twice as fast as they should have down such a switch back road. Then I took a plane ride to LaPaz, Bolivia. The elevation of the airport was 13,000 feet. From there I took a rail car to Cochabamba which took a full day; very beautiful town. The town was located in a semi-tropic area. During the election years, they would tell us to stay indoors because the Indians had a reputation of coming out of the hills and shooting up the town. I never did see this happen. The branch president was an American Embassy worker as well. He called as his ward clerk a new member that was 18 years old. His name was Carlos Pedrodaja. You could tell he was going to move up and be a very influential member. Over the years reading the church news, he went up through the ranks to stake president and mission president. I was transferred to Oruro, Bolivia, which was a mining town on the alti plano (high plains) over 13,000 feet. Homes did not have central heating. I can remember going to bed with my toes cold and waking up with my toes cold. We lived with a very nice LDS German lady. She made numerous Alpaca sweaters for the missionaries which the missionaries bought. From there I was transferred Toica, Chile, and then to Arica, Chile, Both were on the seaboard. In Arica I got a call from the mission secretary wondering why you hadn’t come to the mission home to be released. Everyone else had come, been released, and left to go home. I told him I had never got my letter telling me I was released and that I was to go home. I traveled all the way home through LaPaz, Machu Picchu which is Inca Ruins, Mexico, and home by myself. It was a lonely trip home. I remember pulling into the Salt Lake Airport. The only ones there were Montie, Judy, and their two kids. I sat and visited with them for a couple of hours waiting for Mom and Dad. I was disappointed they didn’t come earlier so we could all visit. When Mom and Dad came, we all went to Montie’s house for a dinner. I went back to Ricks that fall. Between high school graduation and during breaks and summer breaks I had odd jobs such as driving a caterpillar and weeding dry farm for Evan Koller. The dry had some very steep hillsides. He had three 16-foot weeders that he hooked together. They would all slide down below the caterpillar tracks and made the cat slide sideways on the hill. I also had a job stacking hot cinder blocks off the roller onto a palette at Idaho Crete Block in Idaho Falls. I realized I wanted a better job. I got a job working at the Ricks College Library with the help of Gayland Fuller. I took the books people left out and reshelved the books in their Dewey decimal system order. I also worked in the special collections area making sure all the special collection books were not taken out of the area and left in other places in the library where they shouldn’t be. Some of these books were very valuable and rare. About that time, I graduated from Ricks College and transferred to Brigham Young University. To finance my college, I worked at Ireco Chemical which made primers for bigger explosives and the Brigham Young University Library doing the same things as I did at Ricks College. I also worked for the Provo City Parks Department watering grass strips along the road at night, caring for a ball park each night after they played ball at night. Sometimes I would find a dozen new baseballs a night. I generally maintained the city’s Memorial Park. I majored in Recreational Education. I took a lot of psychology, social work, and park planning type classes. I also took therapeutic recreational classes. One professor I had was Bruce Haffen. He invited our class over to show us how he developed his backyard. He had slider ropes, swings, and everything you could imagine. It was a fun backyard and party. In May of 1969, I met Yvonne Carlton that year. Montie and her mom lined us up on a blind date. The date was very interesting. She made fun of my 1949 Ford and that I was 4½ years older than her and I called her a bubble gummer. She seemed so young and I felt so much more mature. I didn’t think much would come of us. We went out a few more time and soon we were dating regularly. In the fall I fell in love with her and asked her to marry me. We went to Susan and Wayne’s wedding reception to hear Aunt Lucetta say to the other aunts, “I think Jim will be the bachelor of the family.” Yvonne quickly said, “I don’t think so” and showed her the diamond I bought her. We set a wedding date of May 14, 1970. We were married in the Salt Lake Temple. We had a reception that night in Alpine, Utah. I thought the line would never end. The next day we had a open house in Weston Idaho. Yvonne couldn’t get off work so we took a couple of weekend trips. One was to visit Deonna and Niel in Blanding, Utah. We visited the four corner area. We lived at Wymount Terrace while I finished college at Brigham Young University. I graduated in the Spring of 1971. We wanted children, but were not blessed with any this year. We were very sad when most of the other couples were having babies. Yvonne lost a baby at three months. We were both very sad over this and prayed for another one to come, but we were not blessed with a child at this time. The first job I took was being the father of a boys’ home. Yvonne and I were the parents. We trained at a house in Birdseye. Then we were sent to Blanding, Utah, to be in charge of 12 delinquent boys ranging from 12 to 18. They promised us relief every other weekend and other help. No help was ever sent and we spent the next 2½ months round the clock with these boys. They were very difficult and proved to be too much for Yvonne and I. They were in constant trouble. We decided to that them to Lake Powell where they couldn’t get into too much. Boy were we wrong. They busted into the marina and stole liqueur and knives after Yvonne and I fell asleep. When we woke up they were drunken messes. We loaded them up in the back of the van and I drove 90 miles back to Blanding with Yvonne turned around watching them to make sure they would not jump us. We took them to the police station and they striped searched them and found the knives. We felt mighty lucky they didn’t become violent. The man over us was very angry at us for taking them to the police because some of them would not get another chance. We turned in our notice and they said they didn’t want us to even stay the two weeks. We were glad to be gone. My next job was at the Idaho juvenile prison facility in St. Anthony, Idaho. I worked as the recreational therapist for teenagers who had abused drugs. I had trouble with a hernia and one day the hernia strangled. This was the first of three hernia operations to fix the problem. We lived in a little two bedroom house. We hoped again we would be blessed with a child, but none came here either. Yvonne finally took a part-time job with Trost Feed and Seed to occupy her time. I saw an advertisement for a recreational therapist in Utah County at the State Mental Hospital in Provo, Utah. The position stated it was for the children’s ward. This was a great job. I learned how to ski and became the children’s ski instructor. I took them camping, fishing, hiking and bowling. The social workers, nurses, and staff always went with him. What fun memories I have of those days. One time we went camping and fishing. I was fishing and watching the kids on life rafts on the lake. I was the only one there at the time and decided I needed to stay even though I wasn’t catching a thing. Then the big one took a bit of the hook and I automatically set the hook. The fish at the same time let go and the hook came flying through the air toward me. The hook buried itself in my nose past the barbs. Try as I might, I could not pull it out. Finally one of the kids came running down from the campsite. I yelled for him to go the nurse. He thought I had the hook in my eye and went yelling that back to camp. The nurses and everyone came running down. When they saw the hook was in my nose, they tried to give me sympathy but then would turn around and laugh. They said I caught a 200 pound one this time. The nurse could not get the hook out either so I was sent to the Provo Hospital. I thought I might get some sympathy there, but they too turned and laughed and laughed. The doctor couldn’t pull the hook out. Each time he tried my head would come up off the table. He finally cut the back off and pushed the hook on through. Then I went to see Yvonne who worked for KBYU-TV/FM. She too didn’t give me any sympathy and to this day laughs about the 200 pound fish I caught. We built a house in Orem, Utah, in a new subdivision. Yvonne’s parents, Lloyd Carlton, helped us obtain the ground. Yvonne’s dad plumbed the house and put heating in the floor. It was a wonderful house. We lived there for a few years. It was here in Orem that we began to pray hard for a family. Yvonne had two dreams of two children coming to our home. The first was a baby boy who was dark and the second was a dark three-year-old girl. We began looking into Indian adoptions and got within a month of adopting a Navaho baby. This is when the tribes changed their laws to adopt only within the tribe. We again were very sad. But when the Lord closes one door another always seems to open. One day Yvonne was at work when two little Spanish girls appear by her desk and just stood there. When she looked at them the dreams flooded back into her mind because their coloring and feature were like the children in her dreams. As soon as she was off the phone, she asked where their mother was and they pointed to the lobby. Yvonne went out to the lobby to find a lady she had talked to six months earlier about adopting babies in Costa Rica. The lady did not give her much encouragement because the paperwork took so much time and they would be leaving in three months to go back to get another child. Yvonne said she would be ready to go with them in March because she felt so strong that she should prepare to go immediately. The lady gave her a list of the things she would need and said she didn’t think we had any chance of getting this ready. A week later she called Yvonne and asked her how she was coming. Yvonne had gathered, typed up, or made arrangements for everything on the list. Everything went so smooth and Yvonne left in the middle of March with them. She spent the first week trying to find a baby. Her contact Mercedes Bonilla Gamboa tried every source she had. Finally they put an advertisement on the radio asking for leads. This was common practice here. The next day, Yvonne asked in her prayers to be guided that day and a voice answered her that she would find our baby boy that day. When Marci (Mercedes) came she said that she didn’t have any more leads and they should try the orphanage. Nothing turned up there either. They went to visit Marci’s mother and when they arrived her mother came quickly out of the house with a lead from the radio advertisement. We got in her mother’s jeep and went to the location. As she passed the baby boy through the window, Yvonne recognized him and this was indeed our baby boy. I joined her in Costa Rica and finished the paperwork. What a great birthday present. We named him David James, a name Yvonne wanted to name our first boy. He was born in San Jose on March 21, 1976. What a blessing to have a child in our home. When we arrived home, Yvonne still felt urgent about returning. Marci said she would help us again. Yvonne had another dream about a lady in our ward that was to go with us. Reluctantly, Yvonne approached Susan Waldvogel about going with us. She gave her the list of items and promised to help her. Of course, Susan didn’t agree. After a little pushing and Susan feeling like this was the right thing to do, they both prepared papers for adoptions. Marci found two mothers needing to place their babies. The baby we were to get had multiple birth defects so the adoption fell through. Another ad was placed on the radio and the same mother answered. That is how we got our little daughter. We named her Tenice Yvonne, a name I really wanted to name our first girl. She was born in San Jose on January 23, 1974. Susan and Carl Waldvogel became our friends for life. Even after we moved to Weston, we got together for many family trips, outings, and camping trips. One winter we moved to Alpine and I worked for Carl in his fireplace business. We were lucky to find friends who shared so many interests and experiences. The family farm came up for sale. Between wanting the farm and needing to pay off the adoptions, we sold our home and moved to Weston, Idaho. Farming life was great. Finances were not. I enjoyed our life there with the children around us and the wonderful country life. David followed me around as he grew. Tenice loved doing things inside with her mom. Who could ask for anything better? Soon Yvonne got restless again and knew we were to get another child. She had many miscarriages during this time which brought us much sorrow. We began to look into adoptions again. The first two brought us so much joy. We wanted another child. Janet and Bob came down from Frobisher Bay, NWT, Canada, for a visit. We told them we wanted another child. We came within months, sometimes days of getting babies, but none of them came through. Once we even had a picture and most of the paperwork done. One spring day, I took Yvonne to see the dry farm crops. They were coming up like they were on irrigated ground. We stood at the side of the dirt road. Imagine my surprise when Yvonne said, “This is because we are getting two children this year. Mmmmm....One in July and the other between Tenice’s and David’s birthday.” She then looked at me in surprise too, because it came from nowhere....We knew then, the spirit had whispered the words to her. Janet called soon after and asked if we wanted a baby girl. We said yes, but Yvonne said Canada wouldn’t let her immigrate to the United States. Janet kept insisting that it could be done. Finally we sent out papers to her and Janet had them processed and letters written to show she could immigrate. We named her Tonya Sheree Williams. We wanted a beautiful name. “Sheree” was after a girl Yvonne admired as she grew up. Imagine our surprise when we found out we were expecting a baby. After so many miscarriages, we were nervous to fly and loose this baby. We wondered how to get Tonya and not lose the baby. We wanted Tonya so much and the baby. We could not choose one over the other. Sacrificing one for the other was not an option. The doctor assured us we would not lose the baby so we made arrangements to fly. Carl and Susan Waldvogel gave us money for beef in advance and with the money we had for siding, we went to Canada and met Janet and Bob and vacationed with them on Treasure Island. Janet had a hard time handing Yvonne the baby. She had grown attached to her. Yes, Tonya was born in July - July 9, 1980. Seven months later we were blessed with another boy. He was born in Preston, Idaho, on February 24, 1981. The words that spring were fulfilled. He was born between David’s and Tenice’s birthdays. He was always a happy child. His eyes were full of sparkle. He has always been a hard worker and a wonderful example for his family and friends. Still our family wouldn’t be complete without our last little girl, Melanie Fae. We named her after her grandmothers, Agnes Fae Buttars Williams, and Rea Fae Beck Carlton. She has always been proud of her name because she loves her grandmothers so much. She was born in Preston, Idaho, July 20, 1983. She has always been a happy, loving child who grew into a very responsible young woman. Our children had many opportunities to learn how to work. Farm life brings the blessing of being able to work hard and find joy in accomplishing tasks. But the finances were not good. Each year was a struggle. Making ends meet was always a challenge. I worked at a nursing home for a while to supplement the income needed. Later I applied for a government position and became a Property Administrator and at one point was an inspector the shuttle solid rocket boosters. After many years, we sold the farm and moved to Clifton while our home in Dayton was built. Our home in Dayton was our retirement home. It was a beautiful 2½ acre lot which was partly fenced off for cattle. I purchased three or four cows each year to provide meat for the family and to sell to obtain more beef. We loved our home in Orem, so we used the plans and built the same house again. I enjoyed landscaping and gardening on the terraced slope in the backyard. The family began to grow again. The kids began to get married; grandchildren began to come. I love every one of them. My grandchildren mean so much to me. They are the crowing jewels of my life. I love to talk to them and hug and kiss them. Attending birthday their birthday parties, popsicles on the back porch, or watching them perform are special treats. Their visits always bring such joy. In January 1999, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. After having radiation, I enjoyed good health. I felt Yvonne needed to obtain employment that would sustain her so I encouraged her to seek a teaching position since she had just earned a master’s degree at Utah State. In August 1999, Yvonne began working at Snow College as an Instructor in the Business Education Department. She moved into an apartment with Jon and Melanie. Tonya also moved down and began attending Snow College. We soon found a great home in Ephraim on the Canyon Road and moved in during November. I continued to live in Idaho and work at Thiokol until the house in Dayton sold. This was hard for me since I loved the home so much. I transferred to the Salt Lake office. We bought a fifth wheel trailer for me to live in during the week. I came home to Ephraim on weekends. Then I moved to the Spanish Fork office and moved home. It was great to be with the family again. Not long after I moved to Spanish Fork, my health began to decline. After a few months, the doctors found 14 tumors in my lungs. I was only given six months to live. The heartache of telling your children is more than can be expressed in words. The doctors recommended a medical retirement and we put through the paperwork. In February 2002, I retired. Life had changed, but I found retirement very enjoyable. I began all those projects you always wanted to do. I found my days were full. Yard work and shop projects were at last top priorities. Soon I found four-wheeling buddies. I felt again lucky to find men who were strong in the gospel and loved nature and good times. We spent many days in the mountains. The fall was my favorite time to ride. I loved the leaves and the crisp air. Not only did I go four-wheeling with my friends but my wife, my children, their spouses, and grandchildren ride in the mountains with me. My greatest memories are of these fun, carefree times. Fishing with the boys, Tanner, and Marquel are highlights. Life again has changed. More calls to children that break my heart must been made. Each time I wonder, how do I tell this precious child I will not be here to share their joys and sorrows? Will they know how my heart aches that I will not be their when a child is born, baptized, and married? How can I leave them? Will they remember how precious the gospel is to me? Have I given them enough? Will they remember my hugs? My love? I know the gospel is true. I know where I will be going. I know that death is but a birth. But I love being with my family and my family is my everything. Take care precious children. Remember....I love you always and live the gospel. Be happy and take care of your families. Raise them in the gospel. James died September 13, 2004, in Ephraim, Utah, from prostate cancer. He passed away with his family surrounding those last days.

Life timeline of James Rolland Williams

James Rolland Williams was born on 4 Apr 1946
James Rolland Williams was 12 years old when Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. The Space Race refers to the 20th-century competition between two Cold War rivals, the Soviet Union (USSR) and the United States (US), for dominance in spaceflight capability. It had its origins in the missile-based nuclear arms race between the two nations that occurred following World War II, aided by captured German missile technology and personnel from the Aggregat program. The technological superiority required for such dominance was seen as necessary for national security, and symbolic of ideological superiority. The Space Race spawned pioneering efforts to launch artificial satellites, uncrewed space probes of the Moon, Venus, and Mars, and human spaceflight in low Earth orbit and to the Moon.
See More
James Rolland Williams was 18 years old when John F. Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas; hours later, Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air Force One as the 36th President of the United States. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who served as the 35th President of the United States from January 1961 until his assassination in November 1963. He served at the height of the Cold War, and the majority of his presidency dealt with managing relations with the Soviet Union. As a member of the Democratic Party, Kennedy represented the state of Massachusetts in the United States House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate prior to becoming president.
See More
James Rolland Williams was 33 years old when Jim Jones led more than 900 members of the Peoples Temple to mass murder/suicide in Jonestown, Guyana, hours after some of its members assassinated U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan (pictured). James Warren Jones was an American religious cult leader who initiated and was responsible for a mass suicide and mass murder in Jonestown, Guyana. He considered Jesus Christ as being in compliance with an overarching belief in socialism as the correct social order. Jones was ordained as a Disciples of Christ pastor, and he achieved notoriety as the founder and leader of the Peoples Temple cult.
See More
James Rolland Williams was 44 years old when Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall: East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall, allowing its citizens to travel to West Berlin. The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete barrier that physically and ideologically divided Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Constructed by the German Democratic Republic, starting on 13 August 1961, the Wall cut off West Berlin from virtually all of surrounding East Germany and East Berlin until government officials opened it in November 1989. Its demolition officially began on 13 June 1990 and finished in 1992. The barrier included guard towers placed along large concrete walls, accompanied by a wide area that contained anti-vehicle trenches, "fakir beds" and other defenses. The Eastern Bloc portrayed the Wall as protecting its population from fascist elements conspiring to prevent the "will of the people" in building a socialist state in East Germany.
See More
James Rolland Williams was 45 years old when The World Wide Web is opened to the public. The World Wide Web (WWW), also called the Web, is an information space where documents and other web resources are identified by Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), interlinked by hypertext links, and accessible via the Internet. English scientist Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web in 1989. He wrote the first web browser in 1990 while employed at CERN in Switzerland. The browser was released outside CERN in 1991, first to other research institutions starting in January 1991 and to the general public on the Internet in August 1991.
See More
James Rolland Williams died on 13 Sep 2004 at the age of 58
Grave record for James Rolland Williams (4 Apr 1946 - 13 Sep 2004), BillionGraves Record 4452592 Alpine, Utah, Utah, United States