James Riste

27 Apr 1800 - 28 Dec 1882


James Riste

27 Apr 1800 - 28 Dec 1882
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Martha Ann Riste John Richards and Mary Goodacre lived in England about 1700. They had two children, Hyrum and Mary. John was a very rich man as was his son Hyrum, also. The other child, Mary, was born September 20 1799 in England, married Feb 5 1822, in England, and died Oct 11 1885 in Santaquin, U
Register to get full access to the grave site record of James Riste
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

James Riste


Santaquin City Cemetery

160-198 E 300 S
Santaquin, Utah, Utah
United States


Children of Eli & Levinah Openshaw / His Wife / His Wife


January 14, 2012

Papa Moose

December 27, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about James ...

We found more records about James Riste.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James


James Riste is buried in the Santaquin City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Martha Ann Riste

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 8 months ago Updated: 8 months ago

Martha Ann Riste John Richards and Mary Goodacre lived in England about 1700. They had two children, Hyrum and Mary. John was a very rich man as was his son Hyrum, also. The other child, Mary, was born September 20 1799 in England, married Feb 5 1822, in England, and died Oct 11 1885 in Santaquin, Utah. At the age of 23 Mary married James Thomas Riste. He was a bricklayer. Mary's father (John Richards) was very much opposed to her marriage to James because of his financial setting. This union was blessed with five children, as follows: James, who died at the age of 21, Myrah, Hyrum, Lavina and Martha Ann. Martha was born in Derby, Derbyshire England on 23 Sept 1840. When the Mormon missionaries went to England they met and converted James and Mary and two of the girls, Lavina and Martha Ann, and they were baptized. Martha Ann was baptized February 13, 1852. Later the brother, Hyrum joined the church but never did come to America. The older sister Myrah, never did join the church, due to the opposition of her husband who was very bitter and opposed to the Mormons. He did not even allow her to go to her mothers home and threatened her life if she ever made contact with her family or the missionaries. At some time in her life, Martha sang for Queen Victoria in England, when she did so she was required to go in on her knees. Later, she also sang with others, went on several occasions with the Mormon Elders to sing at their meetings. Sarah Ann Wilson Norton remembers that she had a very beautiful voice and loved to sing. Mary's father, John Richards, and her brother tried to get Mary and James Thomas Riste to forsake their religion and stay in their native land, but James Thomas came to America and worked to send money to bring his family. During the year before they could join their husband and father, Mary's father, John Richards died. The day the will was read, Mary went to her fathers house with Martha and Lavinah. In the study where the will was to be read, all the family and close friends were seated on straight backed chairs. At the large desk sat a lawyers in his frills and cuffs and square lensed glasses. As the will was read all eyes were turned to Mary and her daughters. The will stated “if Mary would give up her religion and stay in England that she would have half the estate”. Her brother replied, “Mary, if you will stay you can have it all, as Ann and I have all we will ever need.”As the lawyer finished every one waited in silence for Mary's answer. Finally Mary jumped to her feet and cried, “Let my father keep his money. I'm going to America”. Mary and her daughters had to work to help earn their money for their trip to go to America, so the did washing and baking to raise money. Mary and her two youngest daughters, Lavina and Martha Ann, sailed for American on the Ship Juventa and arrived in New York harbor some time in 1855, after a long tiresome and stormy six weeks on the ocean. The captain who had spent his life on the ocean, said it was the worst storm he had ever seen and also that if it had not been for the Mormons and their prayers, the ship would surely have gone down. During the trip, Martha Ann fell, striking her back on a large pole. She spent the rest of her voyage in bed. She never did fully recover from this incident. Being on the ocean longer than they expected they were short of food, so the captain had it rationed. They arrived in New York and headed west. They were in the Milo Andrus Company that left Aug 4 1855 from the outfitting area of Mormon Grove, Kansas and arrived in SLC on October 24 1855. The captain was very hateful and strict with the saints. Mary was getting older and failing in health, so the trip was rather hard for her as she had to walk most of the way. Martha told later how Mary had to tie a rope around her waist and then to the back of the wagon when they crossed the Mississippi and other large rivers to keep them from being washed away and drown. The girls, Lavina and Martha Ann walked all the way across the plains to Utah. AS many of the pioneer women did, this mother and daughters would walk each day and pick up buffalo chips and carry in their big aprons to burn on the fire at night. In the evenings when they would often sing, Martha often was asked by the group to sing her inspiring songs. They came with the assistance of "The Perpetual Emigration Fund". James had left England earlier in 1853 on the ship Falcon, to come to Utah and prepare for his family to join them. He had settled in Santaquin, so Mary and her daughters went to him. Here the girls met two lonely bachelors, Eli Openshaw and George Deliverance Wilson. Lavina married Eli Openshaw and Martha Ann fell in love with and married George D Wilson on September 21, 1856, when she was 16 and he was 49. This union was blessed with eleven children: Mary, 1857; George, 1858; Martha, 1860; James William, 1862; Deliverance3, 1864; Jessie, 1867; Levinah, 1870; David, 1872; John, 1876; Sarah Ann 1878; and Almera (Ella), 1880. Martha Ann was a hard worker and a good manager. But she had a hard life. Besides raising a large family, they were called on by the church authorities to move from one settlement to another to help get it started, then they were on the move again. Her first two children were born in Santaquin, the next two in Mt Pleasant, one in Monroe, one in Scipio, one in St. Joseph, Nevada, later called Overton (and they also lived in West Point Nevada); one in Panguitch, and the last 3 in Hillsdale. So it is plain to see that she had a hard life. At one time Martha had become so weary of the pattern of their lives she felt that she could not continue any longer, and when her husband started talking of moving again, she rebelled and in her quaint English dialect, she stormed, “George, if you go, you'll go alone, fo' I shan't go with you. I'm not a goin' to pick up an' leave our 'ome and drag our children off in the back woods again.” Then as he made no comment and gave no argument, she repeated “I shan't go with you. If you go, you'll go alone George”. He still said nothing, but went about getting ready to leave and after teams and wagons were all ready, he came into the house and started gathering up his clothes and personal belonging. She watched him sadly and when convinced that he was really going, penitently said, “George 'ave you got a good place fixed for my box?” And they were off once more. Of her faith, courage, patience, resourcefulness, frugality and above all, her humorous happy disposition, no one can give an account. As she traveled from place to place with her small children, at times short of food and clothing and herself very uncomfortable (to say the least) leaving one home to go to start from scratch again every couple of years, dragging her children with her struggling to protect them from the elements until another shelter could be built to stay in while George built yet another sawmill. He was dedicated to fulfill his mission to build Zion by building sawmills to help the saints to be able to found and build new settlements. He was determined to follow the prophet and fulfill that assignment, in spite of the tremendous adversity that created for his family. How grateful this writer is for their example of “Faith in every Footstep”. When George D Wilson was 80 years old, he passed away early in the morning on October 18, 1887, after calling some of his children to get the work started, he sat down in his char to read scriptures and slipped away, leaving Martha a widow at 47 with 9 children still in the home to finish raising alone. Those children all grew to maturity. Her daughter, Martha, never married and remained with her mother and took care of her until she passed away on Oct 8 1915 at the old home in Hillsdale, Garfield County, Utah. She had lived twenty eight years after husband had gone, and was now laid to rest at his side, in the Hillsdale Cemetery.

James Riste-His trip from England to Utah

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 8 months ago Updated: 8 months ago

Autobiography of James Ririe NOT (Riste) Note From MARILYN, WHO INCLUDED THIS ARTICLE: IT TURNS OUT THAT THERE WAS A JAMES RIRIE ALSO ON BOARD WITH OUR JAMES RISTE. James Ririe is listed as age 26 at the time of the journey, birthplace: Aberdeen, and occupation comb maker Our James is a bricklayer, was born in East Leake, Nottingham, and was 52 at the time of the journey. I WILL LEAVE THIS IN HERE HOWEVER, BECAUSE THEY BOTH EXPERIENCED THE SAME THINGS ON THE TRIP OVER FROM ENGLAND FOR THE MOST PART. THANKS TO KIM FIELDS FOR NOTICING THE FACT THAT WHAT I ASSUMED WAS INCORRECT INDEXING, WAS ACTUALLY CORRECT. (http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:passenger/id:50371/). http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:account/id:417 This is at BYU library More info on the ship crossing at http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:account/id:415/keywords:Falcon+1853 More Sharing Services . . . On Saturday 12th of March I got notification to be in Liverpool to sail with the Falcon on the 28th of March. Sailing vessels were very scarce that year as the "gold fever" had broken out in Australia and all were going there. On Saturday 19th, I left Glasgow with about 100 Saints to sail on the same vessel. I was a little sick on the way to Liverpool. I watched the luggage at night on the steamer. On the 20th we arrived in Liverpool where I found lodgings at Mrs. Gellian's. On March 21st we removed our luggage to sheds on the Bramly [Bramley] Moor Dock. I watched the luggage part of the night. That same day I went to the office and paid the other four pounds for my passage. We watched our luggage by turns until Monday the 28th of March when we sailed out of Liverpool. It was a fine day but cold. Tuesday 29th, a cold but calm day. Some wind in the afternoon. Wednesday 30th, the wind rose and we sailed on well. Thursday the 31st, a strong gale at night. A complete storm. The trunks were rolling, tumbling, breaking. The ship was cracking, children and women crying. I never was in such a scene. I was very sick. The ship rolled fearfully. I thought we would go to the bottom. My mind was calm as a summer morning, yet I was sorry to lay down my salvation there. Yet, thought I, the will of the Lord is done. In the excitement I asked of the Lord if we should be saved or not. I got a manifestation of the Spirit that we would all be saved and that the storm would abate in two or three days and then general fair weather would ensue after that. Friday April 1st. The storm was a little over, yet the sea still rather high and the ship rocked much at night, very much. I was very sick. I was scarce able to be up and so were most of the company. Tuesday the 5th, my sickness abated a little, but I had a sore boil on my neck. It pained me a great deal. All things else went very well with us. Wednesday, May 4th. This morning we were awakened by the salute that there was land in view. It was half past three in the morning. It was Abaco Island with a lighthouse up to warn ships. All has gone on very well. The weather is fine in general. Favorable winds and general good health has been, since the seasickness has gone. It has almost all abated. Four children died. One died of teething, two of diseases in the head, one of inflammation of the windpipe. Very interesting are the meetings on Sabbath day. Also meetings on Thursday and prayers at 8 a.m. and at 8 p.m. This night, Wednesday, we sighted the Gulf of Mexico. On Thursday the 5th we had an awful experience of thunder and lightning. [p.354] Monday 16th. We have been in the Gulf of Mexico since the 4th. We've seen some rocks and lighthouses. Everything is much becalmed. We only this day came in sight of the lighthouse at the bar at the mouth of the Mississippi. At 3 p.m., the pilot came on board. At 4, we were in tow of a steamer. About half past 4 a second steamer had hold of us. About 5, we came in sight of land and houses. Could see the grass. A particular feeling of gratitude and joy prevailed to the Providence of Heaven in being brought safely through thus far. About 6, we scraped the bar. About half past 7 we started with another ship, both in tow of one steamer up the river. Tuesday 17th. This morning scenes of delight passed us on each side of the river. To see the fruit fields was a beautiful experience. We arrived at New Orleans on the 17th of May, 7 weeks and two days from Liverpool. We lay three days at New Orleans. We then took passage up the river on a steamer. We were six days and one night in getting to St. Louis. That day we changed vessels and started for Keokuk. Next night we landed at Keokuk so our sailing was done with. We lay three days at Keokuk and then started for the plains. Such bad roads I have never seen. We went 13 miles from Keokuk and layover. We lightened up and burnt boxes and goods. I threw away about 100 pounds of clothing, etc. On Sunday, about twenty of us went across the Mississippi River to Nauvoo. We saw the ruins of the Saints' homes, the ruins of the Temple and we visited the Nauvoo Mansion. We saw Mr. Bidamon, the man who married Emma Smith. We saw Lucy Smith, the Prophet's mother, and also Emma. We also saw his three sons, Joseph, Frederick, and David. David was then in his 9th year and Joseph was 21. We also was Mr. Bidamon's little girl about the same age as David. They were all playing together about the house. We crossed back to camp that night. This was about the first of June 1853. Near Montrose, we lightened up our loads. The understanding before we left Liverpool being, that each ten of the Ten Pound Company would have a wagon, four oxen, two cows and each could take 100 pounds of luggage besides being furnished enough provisions for the journey. But we had to take twelve in a wagon and consented to reduce our extra luggage to seventy-five pounds and if possible to fifty. There was no way to hire our extra luggage taken to the Valley so we burned our boxes and extra weight. We put our clothes in sacks. The captain of the company was Jacob Gates. There were 33 wagons in the company and 400 people. . . . [p.355] . . . We started the 12th of February and landed in Salt lake city the 30th of September 1853. It was a rough journey, taking it all in all. . . . [p.358] BIB: Ririe, James. [Autobiography], Our Pioneer Heritage. comp. by Kate B. Carter vol. 9. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1966) pp. 354-355, 358. (CHL)

James Thomas Riste - 27 April 1800 - 28 December 1882

Contributor: trishkovach Created: 8 months ago Updated: 8 months ago

We don't know very much about James Riste, (born 27 April 1800, died 28 December 1882), but we do know that he was a brick layer by trade. He married Mary Richards (our 2nd Great Grandmother), February 5, 1822 in East Leaks, Nottinghamshire, England. Mary’s parents were against the marriage as she was from a very wealty family. Think of the PBS series, Downton Abby, and the daughter marrying a commoner. While Mary was waiting to come to America, her father passed away. Mary’s brother Thomas, ask Mary to give up the church and her moving to America, if she did so he would give all of the estate and money, as he was wealthy without the father’s estate. She responded, you keep it I’m going to America. James came to America, some time in 1854, about one year ahead of his wife and the two younger daughters, Levinah Riste (born 11 August 1835, died 11 January 1913) and Martha Ann Riste (born 23 September 1839, died 8 October 1915), (Martha Ann is our great grandmother). He came for the gospel's sake and to raise money to help his family to immigrate . James was born the 27th of April, 1800, in Sutton, Bennington, Nottinghamshire, England, a son of Thomas Riste and Mary Pass. The next we know of him, he was working in Santaquin, Utah Territory. When his wife, Mary and the two younger girls met him there after coming over from England. Of this couple's five children, James Riste (born 14 September 1823, died 22 August 1844) the older lived to be twenty one years of age when he died, and Mirah Riste (born 2 October 1827, died 1906) never did join the church (Her husband would not allow Mirah to have contact with her family or the Mormon’s). Hiram Riste (born 4 February 1832, died 1912) and his wife Ann, did join the church but didn't come to America. James lived to be eighty two years old when on January 29, 1882, he passed away in Santaquin, Utah Territory, United States. He buried in the Santaquin Cemetery and two years later his wife, Mary Ann Richards was layed by his side. Buried in the Santaquin cemetary, Santaquin, Utah, in Lot #4. As you go through the main gate to the cemetary turn left and at the first row turn right. There grave is about 100 feet on the left. There you will find old grave stone markers (very small), a large marker, and then if you turn and face the west they have on the backside of Openshaw’s marker, there names again. Eli Openshaw married there daughter Levinah.

Life Timeline of James Riste

James Riste was born on 27 Apr 1800
James Riste was 12 years old when Charles Dickens, English novelist and critic (d. 1870) Charles John Huffam Dickens was an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world's best-known fictional characters and is regarded by many as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era. His works enjoyed unprecedented popularity during his lifetime, and by the 20th century critics and scholars had recognised him as a literary genius. His novels and short stories are still widely read today.
See More
James Riste was 26 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
See More
James Riste was 32 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
James Riste was 40 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
See More
James Riste was 60 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
James Riste was 62 years old when U.S. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the freedom of all slaves in Confederate territory by January 1, 1863. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
James Riste was 75 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
See More
James Riste died on 28 Dec 1882 at the age of 82
Grave record for James Riste (27 Apr 1800 - 28 Dec 1882), BillionGraves Record 598492 Santaquin, Utah, Utah, United States