James Field

17 Feb 1830 - 17 Jan 1907

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

James Field

17 Feb 1830 - 17 Jan 1907
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

James Field Written by himself and his daughter Zeffie Zina Field Reeves I, James Field was born at Standlehill, Parish of Bosbury, Herefordshire, England 17 March 1830, the son of William Field and Mary Harding. My grandfather on my father’s side was James Field. He married Mary Harding, a sister

Life Information

James Field


Ogden City Cemetery

1875 Monroe Blvd.
Ogden, Weber, Utah
United States


June 10, 2013


May 11, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of James


James Field is buried in the Ogden City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



James Field

Contributor: MollyM Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

James Field Written by himself and his daughter Zeffie Zina Field Reeves I, James Field was born at Standlehill, Parish of Bosbury, Herefordshire, England 17 March 1830, the son of William Field and Mary Harding. My grandfather on my father’s side was James Field. He married Mary Harding, a sister to my mother’s father, whose name was James Harding. I resided in my native land until the spring of 1844 being then in my fourteenth year. Up to this time I had worked with my father part of the time on the farm. When my father joined the church he could not get work at his shoemaking job, as people were so against him. Even his own sister and parents going against him, so he moved to a farm. My father now being a farmer and a shoemaker, I had little time or chance for very little schooling. In the fall of 1839 I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints together with all my father’s family that was old enough for baptism. At this time there were at Standlehill quite a bunch of church members presided over by Elder Joseph Pullin, the same Elder that baptized me. I was baptized in the night as most all who join the church at that time were. We then came back to the meeting and I was confirmed a member of the church. About the year 1840 the Saints began to emigrate to America and on to Nauvoo. Most of the Saints in our Branch came with the first company, leaving the meeting and business of the Branch at my father’s house until my father with his family immigrated in the spring of 1844 on the ship Glasco, with Captain Lambert to New Orleans, La., then up the Mississippi to Nauvoo with Elder Isaac Clark as the President of the company. When we reached St. Louis my father’s money gave out and we were about to stay there. When Pres. Clark heard of this he came to my father and persuaded him to borrow some money from a man by the name of Kelby, who was with the company, from the Isle of Man. This he did to the amount of 30 dollars. We were strangers in a strange land but the Lord provided us with a friend in the person of Elder John Chees, who took us in when we landed at the Station House in Nauvoo. He was a neighbor of ours in our home in England. Hearing of our coming he came to us and took us to his home and provided for us until we could get a place for ourselves. Soon after our arrival in Nauvoo father suffered a sunstroke from which he never fully recovered. In the year 1844, being very troublesome times, father was called upon to take his turn standing guard to protect us from our enemies. He filled this job until he was sick and confined to bed. When they came for him I offered to take his place, I being only 14 years old they thought me rather young but I told them I would do the best I could seeing my father was not able. Where upon one of the neighbors, Thomas Evans, offered to take me as his partner and from that time until all the Saints left Nauvoo I was kept on duty. I worked in the daytime on the Nauvoo House, until we had to quit because the mob pressed us so hard. In the fall of 1845 death came to our family. My father’s sister died one Friday and my father on the next Sunday about 2 o' clock and my eldest sister three days after. I was left, the next eldest with a family of seven to care for in a strange land with nothing to feed them on. Soon after our arrival in Nauvoo my father was ordained to the 18th Quorum of Seventies. After his death the Pres. Of the Quorum thought it best that I be ordained to fill his place. In 1846 I was ordained to this Quorum. Our family remained in Nauvoo after the main body of the Saints left. When the mob came on to us again to drive those that were left, they came to me and said they would give me 20 minutes to leave or they would shoot me. I went and got from a man by the name of Kimble, who was in favor with the Mormons. He took my widowed mother across the river where the Saints were camped. As I passed where the enemy was camped they stopped me and searched my wagon and then one of them placed his gun on my shoulder and fired burning my face and filling it with powder. When we reached the river we were taken across on a ferry boat. We camped on the opposite side of the river for about nine weeks having no conveyance to move farther. While there it rained nearly everyday. One day being there without food or shelter I went one day into the woods to see if I could find something for us to eat, finding nothing I started back through the woods when I saw some quail. I looked for a stick that I could hit one with but not finding one, I caught some with my hands without any trouble, to the amount that we could use that day and then the rest flew away. From then on while the Saints stayed there the quail came each day. We could catch enough for the day and the rest would fly away, except on Saturday, we could catch enough for Sunday’s dinner too. While camped on the banks of the river we stood and watched our enemy burn the beautiful temple that we loved so much and had labored so long to build. Finally I got a job chopping wood. I moved my mother and family up the river into a log house without windows or doors. Here we stayed until late fall when my cousin came and moved us to Burlington, Iowa. His name was Richard Hill. Here we remained until the spring of 1848. My mother married a man by the name of Elzy Enslow. We lived in Nauvoo until early spring 1849 then we moved again to Burlington, Iowa. Here I worked with my step-father cutting wood. He became ill and died Sept. 1849. Three months later my mother gave birth to a child, making one more to care for. I worked here until 1850. My step-father had left us a team so we moved on to Winter Quarters. That season I was able to raise a small crop to help support the family. In 1851, leaving my mother and family at Winter Quarters I immigrated to Utah in Alfred Cardins company, driving his ox team. We arrived in Salt Lake City in Sept. 1851. That same winter I went sliding logs in Bingham Canyon. Coming to Ogden in the spring of 1852 I took a contract to make adobes for Captain Brown. I also helped build the Ogden City canal and helped to open the Ogden Canyon road. In the fall of 1852 my mother and family came to Utah. We bought a home in Slaterville where we lived until the Indian trouble. We were called with others to move to Bingham Fort. I helped to build the wall around the fort to protect the people from the Indians. When the Indians became peaceable we moved back to our farm in Slaterville In 1857 when war broke out I was called to stand guard in Echo Canyon. In the winter of 1857-1858 I stood guard when Johnston’s Army came into the Salt Lake Valley. In 1858 the people were adviced to move south. When danger was over we again moved back to our homes in Slatterville. I labored as a teacher for many years. In 1861 I bought a home in Bingham Fort now known as Lynne. I still reside in this ward. On 16 July 1863 I married Catherine Daniels Brown of Wigan, Lancashire, England. We witnessed many hardships with the crickets and grasshoppers eating our crops. In 1864 when the Lynne ward was organized I was ordained as second counselor to Bishop Robert Baird. This position I held for 12 years. I served two terms as trustee (school) in this same ward. Written by his daughter after her fathers death: Father’s health failed him and he was sick for many years and unable to work. On 17 Jan. 1907 he died at the age of 76 at Lynne, Weber, Utah. He left a widow, ten children, 19 grandchildren, one great grandchild. Father was buried in the Ogden City Cemetery. His children were as follows: Mary Elizabeth Field 29 June 1864 2 - Dec. 1944 Married: John H. Cole 12 Oct. 1882 James Franklin Field 5 Apr. 1866 - 27 Mar. 1913 Ida Amelia Field 20 Aug. 1867 - 18 Jun. 1940 Married: William R. Moore 4 Nov. 1908 Eva Catherine Field 6 Apr. 1871 - 25 July 1961 Married: William Stevenson 7 Jan. 1897 William Cyrus Field 23 Feb 1873 Married (1): Sarah Farnsworth 13 Feb. 1901 Married (2): Margaret Moran 17 Nov 1904 Charles Winslow Field 17 Jan 1875 - 20 May 1962 Married: Nellie Farnsworth 28 Mar 1900 Margaret Helena Field 7 Jul 1877 - 10 Sept. 1979 Married: Joseph Baird 22 Nov 1899 Riley Orin Field 12 Feb 1880 - 13 Dec 1969 Married: Lena Summers 15 Nov. 1905 Ruby May Field 14 May 1882 - 29 Aug 1970 Married: Ernest Edward Conlin 4 Dec. 1902 Zeffie Zina Field 14 Apr. 1884 31 Jan. 1967 Married: George A. Reeves 28 Sept. 1905

Riley Orin Field - Autobiography

Contributor: MollyM Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

*This story was in our family records. There is no record of the date it was written.* Riley Orin Field was the son of James Field and Catherine Brown. I was born February 12, 1880 at the Lynn Ward, Utah. I was baptized October 4, 1888 by A. O. Perry. I went to school at Lynn in a one roomed schoolhouse and at Slaterville in a one room, frame blue schoolhouse and then they built a new one room schoolhouse in Slaterville. I went to Sunday School and meetings at Lynn. My Father and mother took me with them to the temple when it was dedicated. I worked on the farm when I was a small boy and then my next work was at the brick yard at Harrisville. Then I hauled brick with a team and wagon. Then I bought a truck and trucked brick. I had four new trucks. I farmed besides working at the brickyard. I worked there about thirty-five years. I married Lena Summers, who lived at Plain City, November 15, 1905 at the home of Charles H. Middleton. In the spring of 1906 we went through the Salt Lake Temple. I lived in Lynn, Plain City, and Harrisville. I am the father of four children; three sons and one daughter: Lavere Orin, Reuben Guy, Louis (died in infancy), and Bernice. I have six grandchildren; three grandsons and three granddaughters. I also have six great-grandchildren.

Life timeline of James Field

James Field was born on 17 Feb 1830
James Field was 10 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
James Field was 30 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
James Field was 39 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
James Field was 50 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
James Field was 51 years old when The world's first international telephone call is made between St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada, and Calais, Maine, United States. A telephone call is a connection over a telephone network between the called party and the calling party.
James Field was 65 years old when Mahatma Gandhi forms the Natal Indian Congress (NIC) in order to fight discrimination against Indian traders in Natal. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world. The honorific Mahātmā – applied to him first in 1914 in South Africa – is now used worldwide. In India, he is also called Bapu and Gandhi ji, and known as the Father of the Nation.
James Field died on 17 Jan 1907 at the age of 76
Grave record for James Field (17 Feb 1830 - 17 Jan 1907), BillionGraves Record 4118455 Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States