Ira Allen

1814 - 1900

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Ira Allen

1814 - 1900
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Grave site information of Ira Allen (1814 - 1900) at Hyrum City Cemetery in Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States from BillionGraves

Life Information

Ira Allen


Hyrum City Cemetery

2-98 North 500 East
Hyrum, Cache, Utah
United States

Headstone Description

Wifes of Ira - Calista, Keziah and Cynthia
Children :
Ethan I. died at age 4 years
Hyrum C. died at age 2 years
Doctor J. died at age 9 months
Fredrick F. died at age 4 years
John V. died at age 7 years
Cynthia A. died at age 4 years
Susa died at age 6 months


April 12, 2013


April 10, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Ira


Ira Allen is buried in the Hyrum City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Alva Benson Life Sketch

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

I am now in my 80th year, writing these records without glasses. I was born December 13, 1799, in Onondaga County, New York, in the town of Disitis [probably Fabius]. I was the son of Benjamin Benson and Keziah Messenger Benson. When I was 17 years old, my father moved to the state of Indiana, Clarks County. I married Cynthia Vail, the daughter of Gamaliel and Lucy Manning Vail, in Clarks County, Indiana. I moved to Rockville, Jackson County, Indiana, the same year (1821) with my father's family, where we built a sawmill on White River for a man by the name of Fishly. We next moved to Gold Roundtown on Ele River, Hendrix County, Indiana, in 1825. In 1829 we moved to Clinton County, Indiana, 30 miles north, where I bought 140 acres of land, and in the year 1832 I joined the Mormon Church. I was baptized February 14, 1832, by Samuel Dwelling and confirmed by Uriah Curtis to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints. I was ordained a Priest by John Lewis May 6, 1832. Cynthia’s father and mother and all of his family were baptized during that winter (1832). We sold our land, and my father and brother, Jerome, moved to Jackson County, Missouri. We arrived there about the 17th of November. I built a house on public lands and lived there one year. Then we were driven out of that county by a mob because we were Mormons and were not of their faith. Then my father with his family and seven other families moved to Lafayette County and stopped on Pigeon Bear Creek. We stayed there two winters and built a sawmill and grist mill for John MacGeothen. We then moved to Clay County, where the main body of the Church was. I repaired a grist mill and then rented it. In 1836, we moved to Berch Creek, Platt County, and built another sawmill for Mr. Levenworth. I then rented it and sawed lumber for the fort; then I moved to Callwell [Caldwell] County, Far West in 1836; and in that same year, the Missouri mob made a raid against us, the Church of Jesus Christ, and orders were given to extinguish the Church and have it driven from the state. They made us give over all our state and personal property. In November the mob marshaled us and took all our arms from us and ordered us to Commerce. Some days the weather would not permit us to travel. There was a man by the name of David Dalcome who hired me to build a 40-foot tread wheel that winter in Clay County; and in the spring, there was another man by the name of Casle who hired me to build him a sawmill and furnished me a house to live in and protection from the mob, which I gladly accepted. In September, 1839, I started for Illinois, McLain County, Clarksville, where my wife's brother and I stayed for over five years and built and repaired sawmills. In May, 1846, I started with my family and two other families, the widow Vail, Martha Vail, and her four children, also my sister, Polly Bartholomew and her husband, Joseph, to go with the Church of Jesus Christ to the west. When we stopped in Kanesville, Iowa, we were there for five years. We had a small farm and worked down on the Missouri River at a mill site, where we made an outfit for a journey to the Rocky Mountains. We started in the year 1852 in company with wagons. We crossed the Missouri River on the 4th of July, 1852. We traveled for three months and reached the Valley of Salt Lake in 1852. We settled at Springville and lived there for one year. Then we were called to go to Iron County, Utah, for the purpose of strengthening that village against the Indians. In the spring of 1859, I moved back to Springville and lived there one summer. In the spring of 1860, we moved to Cache Valley. My son, Moroni, Ira Allen and his son, Andrew Allen, came to Cache Valley on the first day of April, 1860. We met Apostle Ezra Taft Benson at the point of the mountain. We asked him what the privileges were in the valley; and he said, "Find the best place you can." On the third of April, we opened camp near Wellsville on Little Bear Creek. We stayed there about a week and looked over the south end of the valley, trying to find where we could take water ditches out that would water a great scope of farming land. The ditch would be nine miles long. At this time, there were about 12 or 15 families gathered. We then started the place now called Hyrum. We then began surveying our little farms consisting of about 20 acres. (Signed) Alvah Benson

Ira Allen, Founder

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

This story came from the internet Ira Allen Ira Allen, his personal and family background, and his involvement in the Mountain Meadows Massacre Ira Allen 1814-1900 Contents [hide] 1 Biographical Sketch 1.1 Early life in Indiana 1.2 Immigration to Utah 1.3 Move to Utah Valley 1.4 To Cedar City and the Ironworks 1.4.1 The Deseret Iron Company 1.4.2 The Ironworks in 1857 1.4.3 Ira Allen's Role at the Ironworks in 1857 1.5 In the Iron Military District: 2nd Lieutenant Ira Allen, Company E, Isaac Haight's 2nd Battalion 1.6 Later Life in Hyrum, Cache Valley, Utah 1.7 Prosecution for Unlawful Cohabitation 1.8 Final Illness 2 References 3 External Links Biographical Sketch Early life in Indiana Ira Allen was born April 27, 1814 in Thompson, Windham County, Connecticut to Simeon Allen and Elizabeth Leavens. His forebears were New Englanders. Allens' father was born in Massachusetts but settled in Connecticut before moving west to Indiana. Allen was born in Eel River Township in the recently formed and sparsely settled Hendricks County in west-central Indiana. His family was among the early pioneers in Indiana. In 1834, Allen married Calista Bass (1812-1863). In 1835, their first child died in childbirth. Their second child, Andrew Augustus Allen, was born in 1836. Calista bore him six more children between 1839 and 1846. During that time, the Allen family relocated to Michigan where, evidently, they heard the Mormon message. Immigration to Utah In 1845, the Allen family joined the Mormon settlers in western Illinois and, following the difficulties there, they moved west to Iowa Territory. In 1850, the Allens immigrated to the valley of the Great Salt Lake. Move to Utah Valley Almost immediately, Allen and his family headed south to settle an area later known as Springville, east of Utah Lake. In 1852, Allen entered into polygamy by taking a second wife, Keziah Benson (1825-1901), the daughter of Alva Benson and Cynthia Vail. She would later bear him eight children, only three of whom lived to adulthood. While at Springville, Allen was appointed road supervisor. In 1853 during the first city election, Allen was among several others elected as aldermen in the new community. To Cedar City and the Ironworks The Early Ironworks in Cedar City In 1853, Allen and his two wives and children moved south to the Little Salt Lake Valley (now the Parowan Valley) in southern Utah. There they aided in founding the Iron Mission headquartered in Cedar City. Most of the younger men involved in the later massacre were either unmarried or in monogamous marriages. Many of the older, more senior men were polygamously married such as William Dame, Isaac Haight, John Higbee, Philip Klingensmith and -- the most married of them all -- John D. Lee. Ira Allen was among those involved in polygamy. The Deseret Iron Company When they moved from the Old Fort to Plat A, a larger but temporary square fortification, Allen had a lot and crude home on the same row of homes as Laban Morrill, Samuel Pollock, Jabez Durfee, Anthony Stratton, John M. Higbee and others. Later in 1854, Allen acquired a second lot for $200. Late that year, Allen and Samuel White, brother of Joel White, made a trip to the Muddy River to retrieve iron for forging. In 1855, Allen was listed as a shareholder in the Deseret Iron Works with a one-quarter share interest. In moving to Cedar City, Ira Allen was settling in an area dominated by the Deseret Iron Company, known more familiarly as the Ironworks. See Summary of Deseret Iron Company for a brief summary of its early development. The Ironworks in 1857 In April 1857, the delivery of a new steam engine from Great Salt Lake City seemed to breathe new life for the Ironworks. After its arrival, they built a new room to house the engine, connected its boiler to a steady water supply and modified the furnace to accommodate the engine. In early June they started an iron run using the steam engine. However, the new machinery created its own set of problems. Through the end of July, they experimented with different configurations of furnace, engine and piping, attempting to optimize the blast furnace. From late April through July, those working up the canyon in mining or hauling wood, coal, limestone, rock, sand or “adobies” to the ironworks were Isaac C. Haight, James Williamson, George Hunter, Joseph H. Smith, Ira Allen, Ellott Wilden, Swen Jacobs, Alex Loveridge, Joel White, Ezra Curtis, Samuel McMurdie, Samuel Pollock, John Jacobs, John M. Higbee, John M. Macfarlane, Samuel Jewkes, Nephi Johnson, Thomas Cartwright, William Bateman, Elias Morris, Benjamin Arthur, Joseph H. Smith, Robert Wiley, and Philip Klingensmith. Those working at the ironworks on the furnace, engine, coke ovens or blacksmith shop included Elias Morris, John Humphries, Ira Allen, John Urie, Benjamin Arthur, James Williamson, Joseph H. Smith, Samuel Jewkes, Joseph Clews, Richard Harrison, William C. Stewart, William Bateman, John M Macfarlane, John M. Higbee, John Jacobs, George Hunter, Samuel Pollock, William S. Riggs, Alex Loveridge, Ellott Wilden, Ezra Curtis, Eliezar Edwards, Swen Jacobs, Joel White, and Thomas Cartwright. (The two lists overlap because some worked both in the canyon and at the Ironworks.) Other prominent figures at the ironworks who were not later involved at Mountain Meadows were Samuel Leigh, George Horton, James H. Haslem, Laban Morrell, John Chatterley, Thomas Gower, Thomas Crowther and others. By the time reports reached them in early August of a threatened “invasion” of U.S. troops into Utah, they had decided on further changes to the ironworks. They determined that a reservoir was necessary so as to provide a steady supply of filtered water to the steam engine. Immediately, they set to work, digging, lining and filling the reservoir. From late August to early September, shortly before the crisis involving the passing Arkansas emigrant company, they began a new furnace run. But it, too, ended in failure, probably around the time that a dispute arose between some community members and several of those in the passing Arkansas wagon train. Ira Allen's Role at the Ironworks in 1857 During this period in 1857, Ira Allen was involved in a variety of tasks. In April, he hauled some the parts of the steam engine from Great Salt Lake City to southern Utah. When they were building a new room to house the steam engine, Allen tended the masons. Later, he worked on the canyon road up to the coal mines and hauled "adobies" to the Ironworks. He helped level the floor in the new engine room. In August, he helped create the reservoir to supply clean water to the steam engine. When they made the iron run that month, Allen was among the teamsters who hauled coal to sustain the run. The majority of the southern Utah militiamen at Mountain Meadows were from Cedar City. Of these, nearly all of them had worked at the Ironworks or supplied raw materials to it. Indeed, in the weeks before the Mountain Meadows Massacre, they had worked intensely together, hauling materials, building a new water reservoir, and making the latest run of the blast furnace. One perennial mystery of the massacre has been why the militiamen mustered to Mountain Meadows in “broken” militia units; that is, from different platoons and companies, none of which had a full compliment of its members. Perhaps the reason lies with the Ironworks. Those in the Ironworks knew each other and had worked alongside one another. Not only was Ira Allen acquainted with those who mustered from Cedar City to Mountain Meadows, he had worked with them at the Ironworks as recently as the week before. Perhaps the answer is that the men of the Ironworks were on hand and available and Isaac Haight, who himself had worked closely with them, assigned them to muster to Mountain Meadows. In late 1857, after the massacre but before the perceived threat of invasion had passed, Allen was nominated to a committee tasked with drafting a resolution of Mormon grievances to the United States government. In the Iron Military District: 2nd Lieutenant Ira Allen, Company E, Isaac Haight's 2nd Battalion In 1857, the Iron Military District consisted of four battalions led by regimental commander Col. William H. Dame. The platoons and companies in the first battalion drew on men in and around Parowan. (It had no involvement at Mountain Meadows.) Major Isaac Haight commanded the 2nd Battalion whose personnel in its many platoons and two companies came from Cedar City and outer-lying communities to the north such as Fort Johnson. Major John Higbee headed the 3rd Battalion whose many platoons and two companies were drawn from Cedar City and outer-lying communities to the southwest such as Fort Hamilton. Major John D. Lee of Fort Harmony headed the 4th Battalion whose platoons and companies drew on its militia personnel from Fort Harmony, the Southerners at the newly-founded settlement in Washington, the Indian interpreters at Fort Clara, and the new settlers at Pinto. In 1857, Ira Allen, 43, was the 2nd Lieutenant in a platoon in Captain Elias Morris's Company E. The company was attached to Major Isaac Haight's 2nd Battalion of the Iron County militia. See A Basic Account for a full description of the massacre. Around Friday, September 4, Joel White and Philip Klingensmith left Cedar City for Pinto with an express, which, they claim, directed those at Pinto to pacify the Indians. They met John D. Lee who was bound for Cedar City. According to them, Lee reacted angrily when he heard of the message they carried. After delivering their express in Pinto, their returned toward Cedar City. They met Ira Allen carrying a new express. According to them, Allen said that the emigrants' "doom was sealed." During that time, Majors Haight and Lee had met secretly in Cedar City. This new express reflected the plans Haight and Lee had in store for the Arkansas company. On Monday, September 7, after word of the initial attack on the emigrants had reached Cedar City, Majors Haight and Higbee assembled several ad hoc militia detachments in Cedar City that rode to Mountain Meadows over the course of the week. Ira Allen was in one of these detachments. On Thursday evening, September 10, Allen was present during the militia council that sealed the fate of the emigrants. On Friday, September 11, Allen was at the Meadows and it seems likely that he was among the Cedar City guard unit who marched alongside the emigrant men when they left the protection of the wagon circle. As the massacre commenced, the duty of the guards was to wheel and fire on the emigrant men, quickly dispatching them. Yet during the actual massacre, reactions varied among the guards. Some shrank from their duty, others fired over the heads of their victims, while others still undertook their bloody duty with zeal. Within minutes, members of the Cedar City unit had killed all but three of the emigrant men. However, whether Ira Allen was in this guard unit and if so, how he acted during the massacre will probably never be known with any certainty. The 1859 arrest warranty named, among others, Ira Allen "and son." It is clear that Ira Allen played a role in important events surrounding the massacre. But there is considerable doubt about his son Andrew's involvement. In Massacre at Mountain Meadows, Walker, Turley and Leonard opine that Andrew Allen may not have been present for the massacre. Later Life in Hyrum, Cache Valley, Utah In 1858, Allen took a third wife, Keziah's younger sister Cynthia Elizabeth Benson (1841-1913). The following summer, their first child was born before they left Cedar City. However, the dual disasters of the massacre and the failure of the iron works caused many to abandon Cedar City in 1858-59 for other parts. Among them was the Allen family. In spring 1860, they moved to Cache County in northern Utah, joining the rush of new settlers to that newly-opened region. Cache Valley is an alpine-like valley, 50 miles long and 12 miles wide surrounded by mountains. The Allens and other Americans joined immigrants from England, Scotland and Scandanavia in founding Hyrum in the southern portion of Cache Valley, seven miles south of Logan, the county seat, and 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. Initially, they lived in wagon boxes and sod houses. In the spring they planted crops. Then Allen led a gang of men in digging a 9-mile extension of the irrigation ditch from the Little Bear River near Old Paradise to their new settlement. They succeeded in delivering water to their new crops before they died but, Allen said, the men were "the sickest set of men he ever saw." The new ditch supplied culinary and irrigation water to the settlement. Meanwhile, they built log cabins in fort style to afford some protection from the Shoshones in the region. In 1863, Allen's first wife, Calista, died. His two remaining wives were the Benson sisters, Keziah and younger sister, Cynthia. Between 1862 and 1883, Cynthia bore Allen nine more children. Shoes were in scarce supply so Allen made his children shoes from rawhide. In the early years in Cache Valley there were bears, including grizzlies. Allen is credited with peppering a charging grizzly with buckshot before one of his companions felled it with a final shot. As time went by, Allen built and operated a molasses mill to process sugar cane into molasses. After he closed the mill, he started in apiary, tending the beehives himself and selling the honey. Allen also had a granary, attached to which was a carpenter shop. There workers built furniture and other necessary implements for the community. There were no doctors in Hyrum so his neighbors came to Allen to set fractures and treat medical emergencies. Allen had learned how to set bones during his earlier life in the East. He carried a book containing home remedies and formulas for salves which he dispensed as necessary. Eventually, a Mormon ward was formed in Hyrum and Ira Allen was appointed as the ward clerk. In 1873, Allen was selected to serve on the board of directions of the Wasatch steam mill company. The townspeople in Hyrum operated a variety of cooperatives for stores, roads, livestock, and mills. In 1875, these coops were combined into the United Order of Hyrum. Allen and his son Andrew served on its board of directors. During his four decades in Cache Valley, Allen also served as postmaster, road builder, and held other civic and church positions as well. Prosecution for Unlawful Cohabitation During the period of the anti-polygamy "raid" in the 1880s, Allen was prosecuted for Unlawful Cohabitation ("U.C."). In 1888, following his conviction he paid a $300 fine and served a six month term in the Utah penitentiary. Following his release, he faced a dilemma: Should he have one of his wives (they were sisters) leave the family home in order to avoid further prosecutions for U.C. In the end, he determined to leave the family home and move to a vacant home a block away. There he lived by himself for several years. In the 1890s as his health declined, his wives, Keziah and Cynthia, determined the one of them should marry Allen so he could legally return to the home where he could receive better care. Keziah moved from the family home, Cynthia married Allen and he moved in where Cynthia cared for him. Conviction for Unlawful Cohabitation, late 1880s. Englishman and Mormon leader George Q. Cannon is seated, center; Ira Allen is standing, far right. Final Illness In 1900, after a three-week illness with typhoid fever, Ira Allen died at the age of 86, survived by his second and third wives, Keziah and Cynthia, and his many children. Keziah moved back into the family home and lived with Cynthia until Keziah's death in 1901. Cynthia remained in the family home until her death in 1913. References Allen, et al, Home in the Hills of Bridger Land [Hyrum, Utah], 9-14, 23, 30, 47-48, 50-51, 56-61, 69. 73, 88; Bagley, Blood of the Prophet, 171, 172, 275; Bigler and Bagley, Innocent Blood: Essential Narratives, 70 fn. 14, 122, 235, 345; Brooks, ed., Journal of the Southern Indian Mission, 106; Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, 714; Fielding, ed., The Tribune Reports of the Trials of John D. Lee, 112; Fish, Mormon Migrations, 307-8; Huff, Utah County Centennial History, 317, 318; Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 349, 350; Lee, Mormonism Unveiled, 232, 250, 379; Lee Trial transcripts;; Ricks, The History of a Valley: Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho, 44-45; Shirts and Shirts, A Trial Furnace, 272, 331, 406 fn. 84, 461, 475-76, 495; Turley and Walker, Mountain Meadows Massacre: Jenson and Morris Collections, 107, 119, 223; Walker, et al, Massacre at Mountain Meadows, 142, 187, 193, 201, 254, Appendix C, 256; Woolley, "I Would to God," 71. For full bibliographic information see Bibliography. External Links For more on Ira Allen, see: *********************************************************************** ***************************************************** Deseret Iron Company Account Book, 1854-1867: ******************************************* See also Alvin Allen, Ira Allen: Founder of Hyrum (1947) Further information and confirmation needed. Please contact page discussion view source history Log in navigation Main page About Recent changes Random page Help All pages articles The Self-Confessed A Basic Account Sifting Militia Accounts Historiography List of the Accused search

Ira Allen

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Actions Begin New Search Refine Last Search Cemetery Lookup Add Burial Records Help with Find A Grave Find all Allens in: • Hyrum City Cemetery • Hyrum • Cache County • Utah • Find A Grave Top Contributors Success Stories Discussion Forums Find A Grave Store Support Find A Grave Log In Advertisement Ira Allen Memorial Photos Flowers Edit Share Learn about sponsoring this memorial... Birth: Apr. 27, 1814 Death: Dec. 21, 1900 The grandfather in the paternal line was Ira Allen, of whom one of the local papers wrote: "He was one of the builders of Hyrum, and his sons and daughters and their children and children's children have always been and still are among the foremost in ecclesiastical and civil activities in this and other communities, a credit to their country and their church wherever their labors are required. Ira Allen was the son of Simeon Allen and Elizabeth Leavens and was born in Thompson, Windham county, Connecticut, April 27, 1814. He was of the seventh generation from his fourth great-grandfather, James Allen, who settled in Medfield, Massachusetts, in 1637. He lived at home with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, working at farming and brickmaking. He was married to Calista Bass, daughter of Luther Bass of Ashford, Connecticut, November 23, 1834. He lived in Connecticut until the spring of 1837, when he and his family removed to Hillsdale county, Michigan. It was here he heard Mormonism and embraced it February 9, 1845. In June of the same year he moved with his family to Nauvoo, Hancock county, Illinois. He left Nauvoo, June 15, 1846, and went to Winter Quarters, arriving there November 5th of the same year. He lived there until May, 1848, when he moved to Harris Grove. By this time his family consisted of himself, his wife and five children. Through the persecution and driving of the Mormons he had become very poor. All they had to eat that winter was bread and one-quarter of a deer. Both he and his children were without shoes all that winter. In the spring he picked up two odd shoes that some one had thrown away, and with these to wear he walked fifty miles to St. Joseph, Missouri. Here he got work baling hemp. He worked twenty days, receiving twenty-one dollars after paying for his board. Knowing his family would be out of provisions, he went back home. When he arrived there he learned that the only food his family had had to eat for four days was roots that the two older boys, Andrew and Frank, had dug. While living at Harris Grove he made a wagon in which to cross the plains. Iron being scarce, he was unable to get any tires for the wheels. With this wagon, a yoke of oxen and a cow, he started for Utah, June 6, 1850, arriving in Salt Lake City, October 3d. This wagon carried seventeen hundred pounds across the plains, and when it arrived in Utah the fellies were half worn out. He had been in Salt Lake City but three weeks when he was called by President Brigham Young to go south and help build what is now known as Springville. On December 1, 1852, he married Keziah (Benson) Judy, daughter of Alva Benson and Cynthia Vail. In 1853 he was again called to go south to help build another settlement in Iron county. This town is now Cedar City. He here married Cynthia Benson, another daughter of Alva Benson, August 25, 1858. He remained in Cedar City until 1860, when he took part of his family and came to Cache Valley, where he and others founded the city of Hyrum. After plowing, sowing and harvesting a few acres of land he went back to Cedar City. The next spring he moved the rest of his family to Hyrum, where the majority of them still reside. His first wife died here in 1863. He was the father of twenty-five children, of whom twelve are still living. He now has one hundred and twenty-four grandchildren, one hundred and forty-four great-grandchildren and twelve great-great-grandchildren. He was a stanch Latter-day Saint, always setting a good example before his children. He and his posterity have done a great work in the Temple for some eight hundred of his dead relatives. He died in full faith of the gospel on December 21, 1900, being in his eighty-seventh year." BIOGRAPHY: Utah Since State: Historical and Biographical. Volume IV. Family links: Spouses: Calista Bass Allen (1812 - 1863)* Keziah Benson Allen (1825 - 1901)* Cynthia Elizabeth Benson Allen (1841 - 1913)* Children: Andrew Augustus Allen (1836 - 1907)* Simeon Franklin Allen (1839 - 1901)* Elizabeth Maria Allen Williams (1842 - 1916)* Emily Louisa Allen Williams (1844 - 1907)* Joseph Smith Allen (1846 - 1906)* George Clark Allen (1853 - 1944)* Albert J. Allen (1855 - 1932)* Ethan Ira Allen (1857 - 1861)* David Benson Allen (1859 - 1929)* Hyrum Cache Allen (1861 - 1863)* Doctor Jasper Allen (1864 - 1864)* Julia Elizabeth Allen Huffaker (1866 - 1949)* Fredrick Ferranison Allen (1866 - 1870)* John Vernon Allen (1868 - 1876)* Charlotte Temple Allen Nielsen (1873 - 1954)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Hyrum City Cemetery Hyrum Cache County Utah, USA Plot: D-9A&10A-1 Created by: Liesa Record added: Oct 04, 2007 Find A Grave Memorial# 21958264 Added by: Lloyd Lancaster Added by: Bill E. Doman Added by: Liesa There are 2 more photos not showing... Click here to view all images... Photos may be scaled. Click on image for full size. - Terry Allen Added: May. 21, 2013 - Scott Allen Added: May. 28, 2012 Leave no one behind! - Nikki Peterson Virgin Added: Mar. 11, 2011 Another Article from the Internet: Find a Grave Site Advertisement Accuracy Disclaimer and Terms of Use

Life of Charlotte Temple Allen

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Born: 3 November, 1873 Blessed: December 1873 by Ira Allen Married: David Osborn Nielsen 19 June 1895 by Apostle Merrill in the Logan Temple Died: 22 March 1954 Buried: Hyrum Cemetery Charlotte Temple Allen, the daughter of Ira Allen and Cynthia Elizabeth Benson, was born in Hyrum, Utah on Nov, 3, 1873. She was born in a log house on Main Street. The house had three rooms all facing the street. A rock fireplace warmed the rooms and cooked the food. A big black bear skin rug lay in front of the fire place. The ceiling was low and the windows were small. Like a mother hen this small home gave comfort to a large family. There was the father and three mothers. Nine children were born in this home to two wives, who were sisters and Charlotte was the last of the nine. There was no doctor to attend the birth of the children. Ira Allen, who had studied somewhat on the subject, brought his own children into the world, with the help of his wife's sister Polley Wilson. A new frame home was built in 1875, so Charlotte did not remember the log home. In later years Charlotte tells her own story. She said, "My first recollections were setting on my fathers lap and bending back touching my head to the floor. One Christmas eve I remember looking at our long stove pipe that crossed the room, and wondering how Santa Clause could get through it. I often dragged a chair up behind father and stood there combing his hair with a fine comb. I remember many different evenings while mother, Auntie and the other girls knitted, sewed carpet rags, spin or quill thread, my brother Joe would read to them. The story I remember best was the story of Joseph sold into Egypt. Some evenings Joe would sit by the stove and sing. I enjoyed them and it thrills me now to think of it. Although Joe was crippled with a lump on his back, the result of an accident as a child, I always thought of him as the grandest man. He always played with us children. He would listen to our foolish pranks. When he was sad I was sad.” "The new house which Father built was like the old Allen homestead in Connecticut. It had 6 rooms on the main floor and four rooms upstairs and a full basement. In the basement we had a fruit room with its large apple bin, the milk room with a flat rock where we kept our butter, the potato room, and in the other room we had barrels of molasses and, later on, cans and cans of honey.” Lottie, as she liked to be called, was a spirited child who loved to do things. Her spirits were toned down somewhat in her very early childhood. She remembered being spanked very hard but didn't know why she was spanked. Perhaps it was because she asked some men who were chatting around the pump for a piece of candy. Anyway she learned her place and in future times when her spirits were aroused she would run to the big lot and climb an apple tree or “skin the cat” on the lower branches so many times that she became tired and her spirits were relieved. The big lot was another lot which was on the south east corner of the block and could be reached by going to the back of the lot on which the house stood. In the early days when the city was laid out, a man who had two wives received two lots and this big lot was the other lot which the family owned. Lottie’s younger sister Lucy grew faster than she did and so the two girls were always dressed alike, and always played together and went in the same crowd. Lottie continues, "Father was a first class gardener and I remember pulling weeds from around the little onion and carrot plants. We raised strawberries, English currents, goose berries, and raspberries. We also had apple and plum trees. I especially liked to climb the trees. I guess there wasn't a tree on Main Street that I didn't climb or have a play-house in. We had a yard where we kept bees, In May and June when the bees started to swarm we had all kinds of fun pounding tin cans, ringing bells, and pounding crow-bars that were fastened to the trees, all to keep the bees from flying away.” “I used to go out on the hillside and herd sheep with my brother Jim. In the spring when the sheep were to be sheared the men would build a platform in the corral. They would lift the sheep on the platform, tie it down then hire old lady Halversen to shear it for them, while they stood around waiting to turn it over. We raised squash and I cut hundreds of them up for the cows to eat." "The red letter days in my life were when father would take us to the canyon. We would get up at daylight and run to get yellow apples to take with us. Going up the canyon I was frightened by the river and would crawl in under the wagon seat. But when we got there I was thrilled with the canyon. The boys caught mountain trout and killed chicken and we feasted. It was wonderful how good food tasted up there. We spent the day wading in the river, picking berries and listening to Joe. He was always with us and was the fisherman and kept us happy with his keen sense of humor." "The Indians used to come through Hyrum in droves a block long. They had the poles for the wic-i-ups tied to each side of the horse, letting the ends drag, then they had their blankets piled on them. They would go into houses and beg. One time 13 Indians came down from a hunting party, seven came into the house and three stood at each window on the outside looking in with their hands up to the sides of their faces, Their faces, arms and hands were painted, feathers in their hair and a bright blanket wrapped around themselves. Mother gave sugar, flour, and bread and they left. In later years Lucy and I delighted in feeding the Indians. When we saw them coming we would take bread and molasses out to them.” "In my childhood I learned to crochet and braid straw to make hats, but I never learned to spin. One winter I earned $.50 quilling yarn. I received $.01 a skein and there were about 30 quills in each skein. The men gathered the cane to make the quills from the swamps in College Ward. These canes were cut about 4 or 5 inches long and the yarn wrapped around them to be used in weaving. I helped to weave thousands of yards of carpet. We women folk always bought our clothes with the money we earned by weaving rag carpet for people. We always dressed nice and the people thought we were well to do, but it was because we worked hard and were industrious.” Lottie told how she and Lucy had to weave 10 yards of carpet each day before they could play. The people walking past the house (which stands east of the Show House in Hymn) would hear them up stairs pounding the loom, would say, "Luc and Lot are playing their piano." They were paid $.10 a yard for weaving carpet and besides buying their dresses they helped to keep their brother Jim on his mission in New Zealand. Lottie writes, "Father used to raise field peas. He would pile them in a ring in the stack-yard.. When we thrashed them we drove the oxen around on them, then it was my delight to ride behind Jin on the horse around the ring. The horse raised its front feet high into the air in order to get over the piles of pea vines." “When they moved the graveyard they took my sister Lucy and I on the wagon pulled by oxen up to the graveyard to see the bodies, and I shudder yet to think of it.” “All my education was received in the grammar school at Hyrum. In the fall when the loads of sugar cane passed the school house we would run out and swipe a stick. We would break it then twist it and suck the juice. Often the sharp fibers in the cane would cut the corners of our mouths. I went to school until I was 10 years old," Lottie’s favorite teacher was I. C. Thorsen. He liked children, and she thought he vas just wonderful. One spring the school went on an April Fool walk. They went on the hills west of town where the South Cache High School now stands. There they all picked Johnny Jump-ups and Lottie sat on the ground and braided them into a beautiful wreath which they carried back to the school house singing "We will crown him.” And so they did, putting the crown of flowers on their beloved teachers head. He was pleased, but a black cloud settled on the class and the teacher too when Mr. Pearce, the school trustee from Paradise, came in with his sharp eyes and his black beard bobbing up and down as the angry words came spurting out of his mouth. Lottie continues, "I always attended primary and Sunday school. In Sunday school they passed the Bible along the bench and each child read a verse.’ "The girls I played with were Carrie Thorsen, Emma Nielsen and my sister Lucy, Luella Allen and Eliza Williams. The boys in our crowd were Dave Nielsen, Hans B. Nielsen and Will McBride, George McBride and Hi Nielsen. In the winter we went sleigh riding and in the summer we went to the Canyon. We played genie and ball and run-sheep-run all over Main Street. Main Street was a wide dirt road with box elder trees on each side. The side walk under the trees was dirt also." “In the winter dozens of sleighs with sleigh bells on the horses would go up and down Main Street, driving to beat the band. I don't know how we escaped getting killed. One night a crowd of us kids were sleigh riding. It was warning up and the snow was beginning to melt. We were singing and Hi Nielsen was singing Irish lullabies and the rest of us would join in, when Lucy said, "Let me drive and I'll go up and tip you all over." So she took the reins and went up to the corner of main and second East, turned around, and sure enough the sleigh tipped upside down, straw, kids, and all under the box. Lucy held on to the reins and so the horses pulled her out from under the pile and she was dragged with the runners down main street until the boys squirmed out and raced after them and stopped them down where Thomas Eliasen lives now. No one was hurt." “One New Years night we broke into the old rock meeting house and we rang the old year out and the New Year in. Earnest Petersen, the city Cop heard the beautiful bell tolling and came running, only to join in with us and finish ringing in the new year." Dances were held in the meeting house until Sern Hansen built the Opera House. Many of the mothers used to come and sit on the stand to watch the dancing which consisted of waltzes and the shoddish and square dances. One night Mr. Hansen came and danced with Lottie. He taught her to waltz and she loved it. She always liked to waltz with a good dancer and never did get enough dancing. In April, 1893 when Lottie was 19 years old she went to Salt Lake City to attend the dedication of the Temple. Her sister Lucy and friends Carrie Thorsen and Emma Nielsen went with her, and her parents. These four girls wore hats almost alike and had a wonderful time. Lottie’s older sister Julia was working in Salt Lake City at the time and she found a home where they could stay. They walked up to Fort Douglas one day. They saw the four seasons of the year displayed on the 6th of April, the sun was warm and bright, it rained and the wind blew until some of the store fronts blew off, and it snowed. Lottie bought some oranges with the money she had to spend and they were the best things she had ever tasted. One man stared at Lottie’s rosy cheeks and whispered to his friend that she had been using paint. Of course, she, the daughter of Ira Allen, didn’t use rouge. Lottie fell deeply in love with a boy in their crowd, David 0, Nielsen. He was almost four years older than her and lived a block and one half East of them on Main Street in Hyrum. They were married on June 19, 1895 in the Logan Temple. Family History written by Lottie T. Allen Nielsen in the early part of their married life. (Lottie tells of her wedding day and early family history) It was one of the most beautiful mornings I ever saw, the earth was green, roses were in bloom, nature was in the height of her beauty, We rode to Logan in a one horse buggy. Nancy Margaret Nielsen, Ira Allen, Cynthia Allen, and Elisabeth Williams went through the Temple with us. We were married between one and two o'clock, by Apostle Merrill. We had a small wedding reception in the evening for the Nielsen and Allen families and a few of our young friends. We lived in Grand Father Osborn’s house for five months then we moved up in the Second ward in Elnora Wight’s house. We lived there until April first 1896 when we bought Niels Monson’s home down in the Third Ward. We paid one thousand dollars for it to William J. Hill. We paid $235.00 down, gave him a mortgage for seven hundred sixty five dollars at 12% interest. Times were very dull and wheat was $.35 a bushel. Milk was $.65 a hundred in store pay. It was almost impossible to get any money. We had twenty-five acres of land, a good team and one old horse, one cow, and ten chickens. June 19, 1896 our first baby was born. We named him David Otis. We were very happy and proud of him. Jan. 1, 1997 our baby got very sick, with convulsions. It looked like it would be almost impossible for him to get well. We administered to him, the Lord heard and answered our prayers and he was made well. I think the Lord sent us that trial to humble us, so we would live a little nearer to Him. We had become careless about tending to our family prayers. I think we had our hearts set too much on our baby. We worked very hard to make a living, and pay our interest. Sept, 2, 1898 another baby was born to us, a little girl. We named her Gladys. Times began to get a little better. We were getting more around us, stock and chickens. Sept, 22, 1901, another girl was born to us. We named her Virginia. I was sick for a year after Virginia was born. I took quarts of patent medicine, thinking it would help me but I continued to get worse. Then I went to several doctors. I did not seem to get any better and I almost gave up hope. Thought I was going to die. I had a very bad spell one night in August 1902, David went over and got N. J, Nielsen to come over and administer to me. As soon as he put his hands on my head, I felt a wave go from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. I began to improve from that hour. I thank the Lord that I got well. I know he has been very good to us. On Feb. 15, 1904, another girl baby was born to us. We named her Helen Aileen. Aug. 3, 1906, another girl baby was born to us, we named her Emma Cynthia. Sept.15, 1907 David was called on a mission to Scandinavia. We worked very hard that fall to get our affairs straightened around, and get means for the mission and to pay up our debts. On Dec. 26, 1907 he left home. Dec. 27, he was set apart for his mission by Golden Kimball. I was left home with one boy and four little girls, the baby a little over a year old. Willis Savage, my nephew, 16, lived with us and did the milking and chores. Because of ill health David’s mission was cut short and he was released to come home in June 1908. April 4, 1909 a boy baby was born to us. We named him Newell Wayne. He had blue eyes and dark brown hair. He had a noble countenance. He would smile and jump every time you looked at him. He was tall and seemed to be a very strong child. In Dec.1909 Virginia got Scarlet fever at school. She was a very sick girl. One week after, Aileen, Emma and Newell came down with it. Aileen was very sick. Emma had it light. Newell was very sick for five days. On the 21 of Dec, he died. It was a bitter blow to us. We could not hold a funeral as we were in under quarantine. Rebecca Allen came down a few hours before he died, she washed and layed him out. Lucy Quinney made his clothes. We acknowledged the hand of the Lord in this trial, believing that he will work out things for our best good if we serve him and keep his commandments. Lottie gave birth to three more sons, Paul Aubrey on Jan. 13, 1911, Hans Eugene on April 11, 1913, and Blair Reed on Aug. 19, 1916. On April 17, 1917 her oldest son Otis died at the age of 21. He had never been very strong and that winter until he took sick he had attended the Agricultural College. Getting up and milking cows, walking a mile to the station to take the train to Logan, and then walking up to the college. It was felt that this had been too much for his strength. On June 21, 1920 a little girl with dark curly hair was born to them. After four boys and four years without a baby she was very welcome and loved by all the family. She was given the name of Margaret Charlotte. Lottie’s oldest daughter Gladys returned from a mission to the Eastern States just a week before the baby was born. She had six of her children fill missions. First her three oldest daughters and then her three sons. The first of each month the check was sent to the missionary and then the family lived on what was left. Her testimony was that the Lord so blessed them that they always had more to live on when there was a missionary in the field. She taught the importance of keeping the Sabbath day holy and never did anything but what was necessary on that day. She impressed upon her children never to go to the store on Sunday. Her teachings were that if no one bought anything on Sunday then the store people wouldn’t have to work on that day. She gained the confidence and love of her children by playing with them and taking an interest in the things they loved to do. Many winter afternoons she spent sleigh riding with them, especially while her husband was on his mission, and in the summer time going on picnics and fishing trips. On March 31, 1931 she made arrangements and had all three of her boys go to Bro. O. M. Wilson’s and receive their patriarchal blessings. She felt that in getting them to do this she had really accomplished something. She was sure that these blessings would be a guide in helping them to live right. She worked in the mutual as a Bee-hive teacher and then in the Relief Society, first as a counselor and then as President, While in the Relief Society she took very sick and was in the hospital for about a week. She was never very strong after this sick spell. She loved to work and it was hard for her not to do as much as she would like to. She had the trial of parting with two more of her children through death. On Feb, 13, 1938 her daughter Gladys passed away leaving a husband and two little girls and then ten years later Jan. 19, 1948 Margaret died at the birth of her first child, a little boy. Lottie loved nice things and her home was made beautiful by her hand made rugs, quilts and fancy work. She was a good seamstress and made her own and her children’s clothes. Lottie was a very religious person and loved to talk about the gospel. She tried to apply its teachings in her everyday life. Her home was on a hill just above the rail road tracks. In the summer-time when times were hard many tramps went up and down the track. Nearly all of them stopped and asked for something to eat and I never remember her ever turning one away without giving them food. Sometimes they were brought in the kitchen and set up to the table and other times she sent a lunch with them. In 1919 when the flu was so bad, every day she would cook a hot dinner and send to her neighbors who were ill. The gospel had meant so much to her in her life that it thrilled her to see it guiding the activities of her children and grand children. On her 80th birthday she bore her testimony in Relief Society meeting expressing her gratitude for her many blessings. Four months later she died at her home on March 22, 1954.

Ira Allen & Calista Bass

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

As given to Kathryn (Olsen) Hollingsworth by her Uncle Roy V. Allen (son of Winfred A. Allen, son of David Benson Allen, son of Ira Allen): "Ira Allen was born in Connecticut, moved to Michigan, to Nauvoo, on to Salt Lake City, Hobble Creek (Springville), Cedar City and then to Hyrum, Utah. He had never joined any church as he could find none which measured up to Christianity as taught in the New Testament. In February 1845, two Mormon Elders were preaching in the neighborhood schoolhouse in Michigan. Ira went to hear them and received a testimony that they had the Gospel for which he had been looking. The Elders were invited to his home to visit his invalid wife Calista. They both accepted the Gospel and were baptized by William J. Phelps, February 9, 1845. Ira's wife manifested great faith in the Priesthood held by the Elders, and they administered to her. At the time of baptism, the affliction left her body, and she remained in good health until the latter part of her life. As soon as Ira was baptized, he had a desire to join the main body of the church at Nauvoo which they did within 5 months. In June 1845 the family moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, where they gave all the money they had, $1,300, for a home but they were never privileged to move into it as the citizens of the county were up in arms against the Mormons. While at Nauvoo, Ira received a patriarchal blessing which was given by John Smith, 21 July 1845, stating he was of the tribe of Levi. He was also made a seventy after a time. After regaining her health, Calista endured the hardships of a trip to Nauvoo, crossing the plains, Hobble Creek, Cedar City,, and on to Hyrum -- this an endurance of 18 years from the time she joined the church until she passed away. While at Springville, Ira entered polygamy, marrying Keziah Benson Judy, who was the widow of William Clark Judy. She had one boy, William. Keziah also crossed the plains. She married in Indiana and arrived in Utah in 1850 and settled in Big Cottonwood. One year later her husband died and was buried in Salt Lake City. Keziah moved to Springville where she became acquainted with Ira Allen's family and married Ira Allen. She became the mother of eight more children, one of which was our grandparent David Benson Allen. She died three months after Ira. Ira was an acting ward teacher, and minutes show that he made all required visits. It seems that a ward teacher in Cedar City at that time must be tactful as he had to inquire into the lives of the people. Here are a few of the printed questions Ira had to ask in his visits, aside from scriptural topics: *Have you cut hay where you had no right to or turned your animals into another person's grain or field without his knowledge and consent? *Have you branded an animal that you did not know to be your own? *Have you taken another's horse or mule from the range and ridden it without the owner's consent? *Have you fulfilled your promises in paying your debts or run into debt? *Have you taken water to irrigate when it belongs to another person at the time you used it? *Do you pay your tithing promptly? *Do you preside over your household as a servant of God and is your family subject to you? In 1888 the law stepped into polygamy, and Ira was not to give up his happy home life, now only two wives. He would not part with either of them, and the law refused to allow a man to live more than one so he went to live alone in a vacant house belonging to his son. He passed away in his 87th year in 1900.

History of Ira Allen

Contributor: PotashBrook Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

History of Ira Allen Founder of Hyrum, Utah Written by Emma Nielsen, great granddaughter Ira Allen a Mormon pioneer colonizer was born to Simeon and Elizabeth Leavens Allen on April 26, 1814 at Thompson (now Putnam) Windham County Connecticut. His progenitors had been farmers in Connecticut and Massachusetts since 1639. Ira Allen was the third in a family of four children. Jude and Emily were older and James was the younger brother. They had a good religious training and lived the Blew –Law which required them to refrain from playing and laughing on Sunday. Besides the church training they had a daily reading of the Bible in grammar school. Ira had a happy youth on the farm where he could wander over the rolling hills and play under the trees near the streams. There were wild grapes to be found and Ira liked them so well that after the feast on the grapes the children would see if they could touch the grapes they had eaten by putting their finger in their throat. There were both private and public schools in Thompson. The more wealthy parents sent their children to the private school. We do not know which school Ira attended. In his schooling he developed the desire to learn. Throughout his life he studied the church books and attended conferences. He always subscribed to the Deseret News. He had a doctor book which he studied and from some lessons he had had from a man in the east he was able to set simple fractures. He attended the birth of all his children after coming west. He carried a book in which he kept recipes for salves and cures for different maladies. He studied catalogs and sent for seeds and plants. He obtained potato eyes which produced potatoes in six weeks. He improved the wheat seed of Hyrum by picking out the big kernels and planting them, then he gathered the big heads of wheat. In a few years his wheat was so good that he traded it to be used as seed wheat and he used other people’s wheat to feed his animals. Ira did carpentry work, raised bees and made molasses and made shoes for his children to wear. He was so well trained in Mormon doctrine that when he was on his death bed men came to ask him questions about the gospel. When Ira was 20 years old he married Calista Bass, daughter of Luther Bass and Charlotte Rawson of Ashford, Connecticut. Their first child died that day it was born. A year and a half later on October 1, 1836 their second child was born at Woodstock, Connecticut. The named the little boy Andrew Augustus. It was the next year that the little family went out into the frontier country to take up land and start a new home. They settled in Litchfield, Michigan. Three children were born during the time they lived in Litchfield. They then moved into Calhaun County here Emily Louise was born. Ira told in later years that during his early life he had an unsettled feeling, like he must be looking for something and so he moved away from his father’s home, then out into Michigan and again he moved into Calhaun County. And it was here he heard the gospel from two Mormon missionaries. He said that the unsettled feeling left and he had found what he was looking for. He continued to move with the saints, first to Nauvoo, then across the plains to Utah. He helped settled Springville, then he was called to Iron County, and finally he became the founder of Hyrum, Utah. Surely these many moves in the frontier country made him a colonizer. The good news of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Chris was welcomed in the home of Ira Allen. They joined the church soon after the missionaries called and they were baptized by William J. Phelps on February 9, 1845. They sold their farm and packed their wagon and moved towards Nauvoo and the main body of the church. On the way there they met a member who said he had a house in Nauvoo which he would sell to Ira. Ira paid the man all the money he had for the house, but when he arrived there they were not allowed to enter the house as the mob was driving the saints from the state. He journeyed with the other wagons, going towards the west. At Pottawattamie Nation their last child was born. He was named Joseph Smith Allen. It was not until June 6, 1850 that the family was able to start across the plains for the Great Salt Lake. They arrived in the beautiful valley on October 30, 1850. After a few days in the thriving young city Ira was told by Pres. Brigham Young to go help settle Hobble Creek (known today as Springville). While in Springville, Ira was the first superintendent of the Sunday School. He also served on the town board. But the important event of his Springville stay was that he entered into polygamy. The doctrine was being taught with gusto. Other faithful men were taking new wives. Claista, his wife, was not in the best of health, so it seemed advisable that he take another wife. Keziah Judy, the daughter of Alva Benson was a good weaver and being a widow with a small boy men flocked to her with proposals for marriage. She chose Ira Allen as her second husband and they were married on December 1, 1852. Keziah a strong capable young woman was welcomed into the Allen home. She bore eight children for Ira. All of them were boys. Five of them died in their early years. Whooping cough and diphtheria took many pioneer children. They knew nothing about germs and with loving pity they visited freely among the sick. They thought that an ill wind brought plagues which mowed down so many tender lives. Keziah’s father and mother became fast friends with Ira Allen. They were called together to go to Iron County to build up the Iron mission. They packed their wagons, hooked up the oxen and were on their way south to build another log house in a new country. They crossed deserts behind a herd of 4,000 head of sheep which had to be driven to California. This three week trip was a great thing for the Allen family. Keziah had the children gather the bits of wool left on the brush where the sheep had crossed through. This wool she wove into cloth for the family clothing. Ira Allen left an impression on the town during his seven and one half years spent in Cedar City. He was on the High Council and the Town Council. He was a ward teacher also. In those days a teacher’s district was called a ward and the ward teacher was to act as a father over his ward and bring the problems and the report of the temporal and spiritual condition of the people to the Bishop. The members of the original Iron Mission and the 100 families which came in 1853 built their homes north of where Cedar City now stands. But the spring floods covered the land with mud and the children played about jumping from block to block as the cracks formed in the drying mud. In 1855 President Brigham Young sent a stake on the bench closer to the canyon and the new city was laid out in all directions from that spot. This was to be an industrial city and the city blocks were 72 rods by 24 rods in size. Streets were to be 6 rods wide with a 10 foot sidewalk. The new city sight was leveled, cleared, marked into lots and trees planted before the drawing for lots was done. After the lots were drawn for, the men were permitted to go on their property and fence and cultivate it. By February of 1856 the ditches were all made to water the trees. Gardens were planted that year and in the fall of 1857 the homes were beginning to be moved and built again on the new lots and a new town grew in a systematic manner. Some of this planning and organization can be credited to Ira Allen as he was a member of the city council. The mud coming down the steep Cedar Canyon continued to be quite a problem. Drinking water, wash water and bath water had to be settled. Sometimes the bucket was half full of mud. The women painted the door and window frames with the mud and it looked like fresh clean paint. On Aug. 25, 1858 Ira married his third wife, Cynthia, the youngest daughter of his close friend Alva Benson and the younger sister of his wife Keziah. Cynthia was 18 years old and he was 44. They had 10 children. One was born in Cedar City and the others in Hyrum. Ira was not satisfied with the general conditions of Cedar City and decided to make another move to find more fertile soil. In March of 1860 Ira and his wife Cynthia and their baby, two of his married sons and Alva Benson and Bill Judy started to Cache Valley. Other families joined with them as the traveled up through the state. On April 1, 1860 they entered Cache Valley. The men explored the valley and decided to found the community on the bench east of Wellsville. That spring they plowed and planted 100 acres of grain. Then they went for water. Jesse W. Fox surveyed the canal from East Canyon nine miles to the south and east and they started to dig the ditch. The survey was hard to follow and the water didn’t run like it should. The men became discouraged, but Ira encouraged them to keep on and he promised them that he would make the survey with a spirit level and they would complete the canal in 3 weeks. With 5 yoke of oxen and one plow and a go-devil they finished the canal in 3 weeks. It was 5 feet wide at the bottom and 8 feet wide at the top. In the fall and Ira and Bill Judy returned to Cedar City and the following spring he brought the rest of his family to Cache Valley. Ira first built a three room log house where the three wives and the unmarried children lived for 15 years. The cooking was done in the fire place and the water was carried from the well at the back of the house. In 1875 Ira and his two sons George and Albert built the first frame home in Hyrum. They cut the logs up in Blacksmith Fork Canyon and hauled them by ox team down the canyon to the saw mill at the mouth of the canyon. They were sawed into planks and there were piled in a cross wise manner to dry in the back yard. In the winter time they planed the boards by hand to make them into siding. While at this work there were many interesting conversations. The home, being built on Main Street, men would gather around and while the Allens planed boards they all talked about the gospel. They discussed what they had read and what had been preached from the pulpit. This new home was patterned after Ira’s childhood home in Connecticut. Ira and his wives made a lovely home for their family. The married children come there on Sunday afternoon to visit and eat dried apple pie. Ira was active in the early civic affairs of Hyrum. He helped to organize the co-operative store and was one of the directors. The saw mill and dairy were co-operatives and organized with his help. In working with people in these co-operatives he learned to understand them. He often said, “People prove themselves. It you take a pan of rocks and shake it, the big ones always come to the top and the same thing happens with people.” It was after they settled in Hyrum that the Word of Wisdom was preached in conference in Salt Lake City. Ira came home with a determination that he and his family would keep the Word of Wisdom. He stopped chewing tobacco and the all stopped drinking tea and coffee. People made fun of Ira because he would chew the root an herb called Indian Root, to partly satisfy the craving for tobacco. In time he quit chewing the root. Ira Allen was remembered and loved for his kindness and thoughtfulness to those in need. He often carried food to the sick and when he found people without bedding he would give them some quilts from his own home. His children loved to tell about the wonderful home which he and his wives made for them. They were never hungry after coming to Hyrum. The conference visitors stayed at the Allen home. The weaving room was also used as a guest room. These guests always enjoyed the delicious meals prepared by the two mothers. In the winter they had corned beef, jerky, potatoes, squash, cabbage, onions and carrots with fresh apples from the big cellar under the house and always plenty of butter and rich cream and milk, and often dried fruit pies and cakes. The pie crust was always made from butter. All this with good homemade bread from unbleached flour kept the family well fed and gave the guests something to remember. Ira spent many hours doing temple work. A wagon load of people would leave home before it was light and arrive home in the evening after doing the work for one name. Ira did the temple work for 800 people. In 1869 Ira went on a mission to his native state (Connecticut). He stayed six months and was able to convert only on distant relative, Ezra Carpenter, who later moved to Logan. The last few years of Ira Allen’s life were filled with some hardships. He was sentenced to the Utah State Penitentiary because he had two wives. He was there for six months at the same time that George Q. Cannon was there. This prison term was hard on him. It was also hard on the family. The women had more outside work to do besides have the mental strain. In the latter part of his life he continued to attend church regularly. He died Dec. 21, 1900 at this home after a three week illness of typhoid fever. In his patriarchal blessing given to him in the City of Joseph by John Smith on July 21, 1845, we read, “Thy name shall be had in Honorable remembrance among the saints throughout all the generations of the posterity.”

Life timeline of Ira Allen

Ira Allen was born in 1814
Ira Allen was 11 years old when The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie. The Erie Canal is a canal in New York, United States that is part of the east–west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System. Originally, it ran 363 miles (584 km) from where Albany meets the Hudson River to where Buffalo meets Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. When completed in 1825, it was the second longest canal in the world and greatly affected the development and economy of New York, New York City, and the United States.
Ira Allen was 17 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Ira Allen was 26 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Ira Allen was 45 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Ira Allen was 47 years old when American Civil War: Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate forces. The American Civil War was a war fought in the United States from 1861 to 1865. As a result of the long-standing controversy over slavery, war broke out in April 1861, when Confederate forces attacked Fort Sumter in South Carolina, shortly after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was inaugurated. The nationalists of the Union proclaimed loyalty to the U.S. Constitution. They faced secessionists of the Confederate States, who advocated for states' rights to expand slavery.
Ira Allen was 65 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Ira Allen was 73 years old when Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show opens in London. William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody was an American scout, bison hunter, and showman. He was born in Le Claire, Iowa Territory, but he lived for several years in his father's hometown in Toronto Township, Ontario, Canada, before the family returned to the Midwest and settled in the Kansas Territory.
Ira Allen was 81 years old when George VI of the United Kingdom (d. 1952) George VI was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death in 1952. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.
Ira Allen died in 1900 at the age of 86
Grave record for Ira Allen (1814 - 1900), BillionGraves Record 3556768 Hyrum, Cache, Utah, United States