Hugh Call

29 Apr 1914 - 24 Jan 2001

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Hugh Call

29 Apr 1914 - 24 Jan 2001
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Hugh Call The summer of 1930 was spent trying to earn enough money for school clothes, spending money, etc. Jobs were scarce and low paying for a 16 year old. Lloyd Zezegai, Harold Law, Bill Loder and myself decided to go to Twin Falls and Burley, Idaho to earn extra money in the fall harvest We tra

Life Information

Hugh Call


Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park

3401 South Highland Drive
Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah
United States


July 6, 2013


June 28, 2013

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Hugh


Hugh Call is buried in the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Hugh's Life Spared Twice

Contributor: jillpz Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Hugh Call The summer of 1930 was spent trying to earn enough money for school clothes, spending money, etc. Jobs were scarce and low paying for a 16 year old. Lloyd Zezegai, Harold Law, Bill Loder and myself decided to go to Twin Falls and Burley, Idaho to earn extra money in the fall harvest We traveled in two Model “A” Fords owned by Lloyd and Harold, who were cousins. We had some interesting experiences but that is another story. After about 2 weeks I went to work for my Fathers’ brother, Uncle Aaron. I lived with them, ate my meals with them, etc. During the harvest of picking spuds and topping beets, my hands chapped and cracked, and I got blood poisoning in my right hand. I had planned to stay and look after the stock while the family went on vacation; but the infection was severe. I returned to Bountiful by bus. During my stay in Burley there had been a wide spread epidemic of scarlet fever. Thursday after I returned home was spent shopping for school. After shopping I went to a show—“Snow White and the Severn Dwarf”. After 15 minutes I started to burn with fever and then chill. I knew I had scarlet fever and went home immediately. Dr. Kessler could find no rash or other symptoms, but took the precaution of isolating me. Five days later there was no doubt, and the quarantine signs went up. Dora, H.P. and those who had to be out of the house were scattered to other homes. The younger children stayed upstairs, and Mother and I stayed in the basement. My illness was severe, and Dr. Kessler credited mother with making the difference. She nursed me night and day for more than three weeks. There was great concern for the other family members in the house. Everything was sterilized--dishes, clothes, etc. I can still smell the Lyso.l Food was placed on the landing leading to the basement (probably by Leah). Mother would sterilize the dishes, towels etc., and put them back on the landing. During the height of my illness we had a setback. I started hemorrhaging through the nose, and we could not stop it. The high fever had thinned the blood so it would not clot. Dr. Kessler worked through the night packing the cotton into my nose (unbelievable amounts) and doing everything he could to stop the bleeding. This problem lasted several days and frequent nosebleeds have continued most of my life. After about 3 ½ weeks the worst was over and I wanted to go to school. The law said that I could not be released until the skin had all shed. Because of the manual labor I had done there was thick calluses on my hands and soles of my feet which would not shed. As a result the quarantine lasted another five weeks (8 weeks in all). It was now Christmas. During all this time Mother catered to my every need. I probably was not a good patient. Mother was able, during this last period, to spend some time upstairs. As my appetite came back I had a constant craving for milk toast (toast in white sauce, sometimes with sliced hard boiled eggs on top.) Mother made this for me several times a day. As a result I gained back the many pound I had lost and about 15-20 more. When I returned to school the Doctor instructed there should be no exercise or sports. With my love of sports I was soon playing basketball, tennis, etc. I made the basketball team and played through the practice season before being declared ineligible because of the missed school The doctor was right. As a result of the activity that winter my heart developed an irregular beat which is still with me. I owe a great debt to Mother for her loving care. I acknowledge the disruption my illness brought into the lives of other family members. I express my sincere love and appreciation to each of them for their understanding. They know who they are. I love all of you. * * After my mission release in late December 1935, I accepted employment with my brother Ivan in Ely, Nevada. I operated a one man food distribution business for him while he entered the insurance business. I met many great people both in and out of the Church and enjoyed it. Early in August I left Ely and returned to Salt Lake City to prepare for college. My desire was to go to the University of Arizona at Tucson. The next evening (Friday) cousins Wilford and Vilate Cardon came to see Mother and offered to drive me to Tucson where they lived. We drove straight through to Phoenix, arriving there about midnight. As were leaving town on the way to Tucson, we had a minor accident involving a drunk driver. While we were parked and involved with this accident, another drunk driver approached at high speed going the opposite direction. As they swerved across the center line and onto the shoulder where we were parked they hit me and two others who had been witnesses of the first accident. We all received serious injuries. I was taken to the St. Joseph’s Hospital where three very fine doctors spent five and a half hours repairing a wounds to my back. WIlford called Mother (over my protest) and suggested that she come at once. This was Sunday morning early. Mother (age 55) gathered together money for train fare, but little else, and left immediately for Phoenix via Los Angeles with a stopover. The trip took 32 hours, and Mother ate little if anything during this time. She had been told that I would probably not live to see her. She arrived in late afternoon in a 115 degree temperature. She was ushered into the hospital office where they demanded she make financial arrangements before they would give her information about me. She had no money, so they finally let her come to my room. She found me lying in a blood soaked bed, bandages from thigh to upper waist , white as a sheet from loss of blood. She got as far as the door, took one look, and dropped in a faint. The bed next to me was vacant. They put her on it and proceeded to revive her. She spent the rest of that day, and most of the night, unable to leave that bed. After several weeks the doctors released me to go to Uncle Emerson and Aunt Irene Pratt’s home in Mesa where mother had been staying. It was necessary for me to stay lying down. Emerson took the back window and seat out of his car and transported me on a litter to Phoenix three times a week for treatment. This lasted until mid October. I can’t begin to express the love and appreciation I feel for the care I received from Mother, Emerson, and Irene with their young family. They, along with Dr. Williams and assistants, saved my life. It was a miracle. When it was thought that I could travel (still on a litter) H.P. & Merle, drove down and brought Mother and I home. Canning season was over and mother worried all the way home that she had no food supply for winter. When we got home she found everyone of her hundreds of bottles, jars, and crocks had been filled by her friends. As fruit and vegetables became available they came into her home and canned just as she would have done if she had been there. I want to express appreciation to the doctors who took are of me. Drs. Williams, Smith, and another whose name I do not recall, operated a very successful clinic in Phoenix. They were considered the finest in all of the Southwest. Also the most expensive. As began to recover I was concerned about how I would pay their bill. All three visited me daily in the hospital and three times a week at their clinic. They showed great concern. When I left to return home they were still putting me off with ,”Get well and we will send you a bill.” The hospital bill was over $2000 even then and I was sure there would be more. When the bill came it was for $100 total and an invitation to come in on my next visit to Phoenix for a visit and complete examination at no charge. A few months later I did visit them and tried to get a more realistic bill from them. They assured me that although most of their patients were wealthy and paid high prices, there were many also who were not wealthy and they charged them accordingly.

Life timeline of Hugh Call

Hugh Call was born on 29 Apr 1914
Hugh Call was 16 years old when The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or "Black Tuesday", ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression. The New York Stock Exchange, is an American stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City, New York. It is by far the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$21.3 trillion as of June 2017. The average daily trading value was approximately US$169 billion in 2013. The NYSE trading floor is located at 11 Wall Street and is composed of 21 rooms used for the facilitation of trading. A fifth trading room, located at 30 Broad Street, was closed in February 2007. The main building and the 11 Wall Street building were designated National Historic Landmarks in 1978.
Hugh Call was 25 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Hugh Call was 26 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Hugh Call was 41 years old when Disneyland Hotel opens to the public in Anaheim, California. The Disneyland Hotel is a resort hotel located at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California, owned by the Walt Disney Company and operated through its Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products division. Opened on October 5, 1955, as a motor inn owned and operated by Jack Wrather under an agreement with Walt Disney, the hotel was the first to officially bear the Disney name. Under Wrather's ownership, the hotel underwent several expansions and renovations over the years before being acquired by Disney in 1988. The hotel was downsized to its present capacity in 1999 as part of the Disneyland Resort expansion.
Hugh Call was 51 years old when Thirty-five hundred United States Marines are the first American land combat forces committed during the Vietnam War. The United States Marine Corps (USMC), also referred to as the United States Marines, is a branch of the United States Armed Forces responsible for conducting amphibious operations with the United States Navy. The U.S. Marine Corps is one of the four armed service branches in the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and one of the seven uniformed services of the United States.
Hugh Call was 63 years old when Star Wars is released in theaters. Star Wars is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas. It is the first film in the original Star Wars trilogy and the beginning of the Star Wars franchise. Starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, David Prowse, James Earl Jones, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Peter Mayhew, the film focuses on the Rebel Alliance, led by Princess Leia (Fisher), and its attempt to destroy the Galactic Empire's space station, the Death Star.
Hugh Call was 72 years old when Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission: Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board. The Space Shuttle program was the fourth human spaceflight program carried out by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), which accomplished routine transportation for Earth-to-orbit crew and cargo from 1981 to 2011. Its official name, Space Transportation System (STS), was taken from a 1969 plan for a system of reusable spacecraft of which it was the only item funded for development.
Hugh Call was 76 years old when Nelson Mandela is released from Victor Verster Prison outside Cape Town, South Africa after 27 years as a political prisoner. Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, and philanthropist who served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. He was the country's first black head of state and the first elected in a fully representative democratic election. His government focused on dismantling the legacy of apartheid by tackling institutionalised racism and fostering racial reconciliation. Ideologically an African nationalist and socialist, he served as President of the African National Congress (ANC) party from 1991 to 1997.
Hugh Call died on 24 Jan 2001 at the age of 86
Grave record for Hugh Call (29 Apr 1914 - 24 Jan 2001), BillionGraves Record 4375577 Millcreek, Salt Lake, Utah, United States