Contributor: dfarmer55 Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago
Numerous, steady and strong are the members of the Scott family of Provo. They have woven themselves into social relationships that have made a powerful force in the material, the political and the religious life of the community in which they live. The well-remembered pioneer father of the group, Andrew Hunter Scott, came of sturdy stock in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He was born in Middleton, Pennsylvania, August 21, 1815 and came to Utah September 26, 1851, a member of the Morris Phelps Company.
In February 1838 he married Sarah L Sleeper whose family home was Bristol, New Jersey. To them were born five children. Two of the three girls remained with their mother in New Jersey. The two boys came with their father to Utah. On April 1, 1856 he married in Provo, Martha Ann Norton who came from Limestone, Alabama. They became the parents of six children.
Andrew H. Scott made Provo his permanent home. From 1861 to 1874 he held the office of Bishop, he was superintendent of construction of the fort wall around the city in 1854, he built the first school house in the second ward, the first Utah County Courthouse 1867-78, a meeting house 1861-62, and the Provo Woolen Mills in 1870-74. He constructed canyon roads, bridges and dams on the Provo River and conducted an ox-train of forty-eight wagons across the plains in 1866. He was one of the organizers and president of the Utah County Agricultural and Home Manufacturing Society. He was a nurseryman, fruit dealer, and seed man. He served as City Recorder, Assessor, and Councilman. For six years he filled the office of Mayor of Provo City.
His son, Howard Scott, was born in Provo, March 23, 1866, in a log cabin outside of the old fort wall. Full well he remembers the dirt floor and roof, and the open fireplace of that humble abiding place. His early days were spent in raising fruit and in farming. He frequently visited the first fruit orchard planted in Provo by his father, the first alfalfa seed sowed and the introduction of mulberry trees for use in the production of silk. He stood on a straw stack and watched the Union Pacific train as it passed along.
The first school he attended was taught by Mrs. Oakley. It was held in an adobe building, a combination of house, still standing near the storehouse of Dixon Taylor Russell Company in Provo. The pupils paid their own tuition, about $2.50 a quarter. Their complete equipment was a slate and a reader. The desk consisted of a table along the sides of which the children sat on plank benches.
When Howard was nine years of age, he was deeply grieved by the death of his father. When he was fourteen, he drove a team and hand-led a scraper on the railroad then being constructed from Echo to Park City. In Spanish Fork Canyon he worked making charcoal and in hauling timber for the D&RG Railroad. Upon his return to Provo he engaged in farming and cattle-raising. He enlarged his farm by purchasing property bordering Utah Lake. This he cultivated until 1907. At this date the waters of the lake covered most of his land and resulted in his buying in Charleston and Bagley Ranch on which he engaged in cattle raising and dairying.
The days of his early youth had a profound influence upon his life. He became thrifty and prosperous. Little cared he if the herding of cows was assigned to him; little cared he if there were only seven houses south of the tracks between the highway on the east and the lake on the west and only eleven houses on the lake bottoms between a point south of what is now the Geneva Plant and the borders of Pleasant Grove. There was no water on Provo Bench until the Lake Bottom Canal was constructed. He remembers examining pieces of the old wall built of mud and straw about Provo to protect the settlers from Indian depredations. Against a broken part of this wall, Richard Stubbs placed stringers and made for his horses a stable.
The lake bottoms, the feeding cattle, the songs of birds and the merry notes of laughter had not deprived Howard of a measure of romance. Had he not met Eunice L. Stubbs in quiet places beneath the trees, had he not persuaded her to become his wife, had he not on that memorable day, December 10, 1890, conducted her through the Manti Temple where he proffered her his complete confidence? As a result of this union, four sons and two daughters came to their home in Provo, and they were all welcome guests in a happy family. They prospered together.
After the waters of the Utah Lake had receded, Howard moved back to Provo and once more assumed there the responsibilities of his vocation. He left his ranch at Charleston to the care of his eldest son. In 1932 the severest blow of his life befell him. On the second day of March of that year his bosom companion bade him farewell and sojourned to a mansion not built with hands. By 1936 he was ready to, and did, retire from active farming. Since that date he has spent his days among the flowers and vegetables in his garden, raising bounties for his folk and his friends on a portion of the sixty acres which his father bought for a yoke of oxen. He still enjoys to look at, and to drive, a good horse.
Through the years he has advanced steadily in the Priesthood. Today this gray-bearded and silvery-haired man is a venerable High Priest, loyal to his Church and his people. He is an ardent worker in the Sons and Daughters of Utah Pioneers’ Organization to which he has contributed liberally of his means. As a rugged and loyal citizen, a true and faithful friend, and a just and honest man, we salute Howard Scott.
Note: Salute to Howard Scott by Ed M. Rose was written July 21, 1947 and published in the Andrew Hunter Scott Bulletin, Vol. 4, Issue 1, February 10, 1970. He passed away February 5, 1950.