Homer Clarence Foote by his son Clarence Foote
Contributor: misbach Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago
LIFE OF HOMER CLARENCE FOOTE
By son Clarence Foote 1957/58
Homer Clarence Foote, born Feb. 3, 1871 at St.Thomas, Lincoln Co. Nevada to Warren Foote and Artemisia Sidney Myers. His father was a convert to the L.D.S. Church, being converted in about 1832 in New York state. Soon after his conversion he was assigned to many important positions which he held throughout his life, finally becoming a patriarch in the Kanab Stake prior to his death in 1903.
His mother as a young girl was in the Haun's Mill massacre and from that time on enduring the rigors and hardships of pioneer life.
As a babe of two weeks his father and mother with the other members of the Muddy Mission returned to Utah and re-settled Long Valley in Kane Co., locating in the community of Glendale, formerly known as Berryville.
Upon arriving at St. George the young babe had become ill and the mother had to remain there with him for a time while the father continued on to their new location.
As a young boy he spent his early days at Glendale, until his father and mother were called to St. George to a Temple Mission, then for the next few years he resided there until the mission was completed then returning to Glendale.
After returning to Glendale after he became old enough, and he started at a very early age, he worked and contributed to sustenance of the family. He became very efficient in the handling of livestock, so efficient that at one time a sheep man selected him over the sheep mans brothers to oversee and assume the responsibility of caring for his herds while he filled a mission for the L.D.S. Church. Then after returning from his mission he was retained for some time before the owner assumed the responsibility of caring for his interests. He remained with this party for a number of years. Due to his ability and integrity his services were in constant demand. He also was very efficient in his farm work.
While at Glendale he served for a number of years on the Board of Directors as well as Water Master for a number of seasons. It was not uncommon to see him working on these problems alone or if he needed help to take his boys with him.
In the ward whenever he was at home he served as a ward teacher. He was a High Priest in the L.D.S. Church.
On November 14, 1902 he married Olive L. Rose in the Manti L.D.S. Temple, they were the parents of two sons and four daughters, all of whom are living.
He was always kind and obliging, always ready to help anyone in need, wherever possible and in what ever way he could. He would go in times of sickness or in times of death. If ever a grave needed to be dug when he was near he could be found there helping.
He lived at Glendale until November 1944 at which time he sold his home and moved to Kanab. He lived there until about October of 1952 when he moved to Orem due to the illness of his wife. She passed away June 13, 1956. During August of 1956 he returned to Kanab and stayed until April, 1957, at which time he returned to Orem where he has resided since. He passed away March 17, 1958.