Hogan Anderson

23 Mar 1826 - 31 Oct 1892

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Hogan Anderson

23 Mar 1826 - 31 Oct 1892
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Hakan Anderson had a cousin by the name of Andrew Beckstrom, who was about his own age. Two brothers had married two sisters, so Hakan and Andrew were double cousins and were always good pals. Andrew had learned the trade of blacksmith and was a jolly fellow and they had some good times together. On

Life Information

Hogan Anderson


Rexburg Cemetery

312 Cemetery Rd
Rexburg, Madison, Idaho
United States

Annetta Dansie

July 15, 2015


August 10, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Grave Site of Hogan


Hogan Anderson is buried in the Rexburg Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



The Gospel message

Contributor: Annetta Dansie Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Hakan Anderson had a cousin by the name of Andrew Beckstrom, who was about his own age. Two brothers had married two sisters, so Hakan and Andrew were double cousins and were always good pals. Andrew had learned the trade of blacksmith and was a jolly fellow and they had some good times together. One day his cousin Andrew came to see him and said that he had some news. He said as he was walking down the lane, he met two gentlemen dressed very nice. They passed the time of day and told him they were going to hold a meeting that night at Peter Jenson’s house. “Would you please tell your neighbors and friends about it?” they asked. “So here I am to tell you Hakan. Let’s go and hear what they have to say. I happen to think they might be Mormons, but let’s go see for ourselves just what kind of people they are.” Hakan said that he would go if the boss would let him off. They went to the meeting that night. To their surprise, the preachers read the same verses out of the Bible that they had already heard their minister read. “It must be the same Bible,” Andrew said. “The only thing, they make it sound clearer.” And it seemed to them that this must be the true Gospel. Everything that was said was good, so how could the people say evil against them. If only they would go and hear for themselves. These are the thoughts the boys had. As the cousins were walking home, Hakan said, “I want to go again, don’t you Andrew?” “Sure,” Andrew said, “Only you know what father and mother will say when they find out.” Hakan said, “The last time I was home, father gave me a lecture about the Mormon missionaries and warned me to beware of them, that they were evil and were murderers. ‘Don’t go near them, son, I am warning you,’ he said, so now I don’t know how to break the news to them. As you know, my father is a very determined man.” But nevertheless, Hakan did tell his father that they had gone to the Mormon meeting. His father said the Mormons should be horse whipped out of town. “To think they would come to Sweden to convert people,” he said, “We have the true gospel and do not want to hear anything new.” Hakan and Andrew kept going to the Mormon meetings. The more they heard, the more they wanted to hear, so on September 17, 1857, they applied for baptism and were baptized. After they had joined the Church, father was so happy that he went home to tell his parents the good news, but his father was very angry, and said, “It is too bad they didn’t tie a rock around your neck so you could have stayed under. To think those awful Mormons have come and converted a son of mine. It is enough to break my heart. Now Hakan you belong to them, go – you have disgraced our whole family. You don’t belong to us anymore. Don’t ever darken our door again.” Hakan said, “I won’t bother you again, father. Goodbye mother and all of you.” Hakan left and never saw his family again. He was thinking now of going to Utah with a Mormon Band of converts and there live the religion he knew to be true.

Making his way in the world

Contributor: Annetta Dansie Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

One day, when Hakan was 8 years old, his father told him "You must go and find work, I can not feed you all." Hakan had 3 siblings at the time. He told his father "Father, I will try." That is what he did, and he never depended on his parents again.

Hakan Anderson & Cecelia Swenson

Contributor: Annetta Dansie Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

Anders Hakansson, father of Hakan, was born 24 January 1789, in Ganifta Kvislafta, Sweden. His wife, Bengta Andersson, was born in Tarstad Tirup, Sweden, on February 24th, 1806. Anders died on March 15, 1860. Bengta died February, 1868. To this couple was born seven children. This history pertains to the eldest, Hakan, and his family. Hakan was born 21 Mar 1826 in Tirup, Malmohus, Sweden. Hakan’s birthplace was a rude hut with a thatched roof, dirt floor, and only one room, 8'x10'. He was the eldest child and his parents were very poor. When they had four children, his father said to him, "You must go find work." He was now only eight years old. His father said that he couldn’t feed all the children now. The little boy looked at his father and said. "Father, I will try." He was small for his age and had brown eyes and black hair. As the fairy tale goes, he started off down the road to seek his fortune. (He never depended on his parents after that, but made his own way the rest of his life.) He went from door to door trying to find work. Everyone would tell him that he was too little and too young to do anything. At last he came to a home of an elderly couple who could see how tired and hungry he was. They gave him a place to sleep and something to eat. He herded geese for them for his board and room. He went home to see his folks about once a month. The schooling in Sweden was different than in some countries. A teacher would go from family to family to stay with them and teach their children. School was not required, so the poor families usually did not get any schooling. Hakan was very anxious to learn. When he was fifteen he went to the mill to learn to be a miller. He worked there about fifteen years and received his diploma and became a very good miller. He worked very hard carrying heavy sacks on his back. His back became bent and it remained so the rest of his life. One day Hakan and his cousin heard of some Mormons that were going to hold a meeting that night. They knew that their parents had warned them against the Mormons, but they wanted to go and see what they were like. So they attended the meeting that night. To their surprise they found the missionaries used the same Bible that their minister used, only they made it more clear to them. And it seemed to them that this must be the true gospel. Everything that they had said was good, so how could people say evil against it. They decided that they wanted to hear more, so they continued to go to the meetings. He knew that the last time he saw his father he had warned him of those dangerous Mormons. He told them not to go near them, for they were evil and murderers. But Hakan and Andrew kept on going to the meetings, and on September 17th, 1857, they applied for baptism and were baptized. After he joined the church he was so happy that he went home to tell his parents. But his father was very angry and said, "It's too bad they didn't tie a rock around your neck so you could have stayed under, to think that those awful Mormons have converted a son of mine. It's enough to break my heart. Now Hakan you belong to them, go, you have disgraced our whole family. You don't belong to us any more. Don't ever darken our door again. Hakan said, "I won't bother you again Father, goodbye Mother and all of you." He left and that was the last time that he ever saw any of them. In 1859 Hakan and Andrew sailed for America. They had to pay for the handcarts to cross the plains, before they left Sweden. They had to apply for carts, tents and etc. They left Sweden in April, 1859, with 355 Saints. They landed in England in April, and set sail for America on April 11, 1859, with 726 Saints. They formed two wards, with a president over each. This was done to preserve order. The voyage lasted about five weeks. While on sea there was 1 death and 19 marriages. On Saturday May 14, 1859, they landed in New York Harbor. From there they went to Florence, Nebraska in stock cars. They had many hardships before they arrived at the destination. They arrived in Salt Lake City, September 4, 1859. When the people heard that the handcarts had arrived, they were overjoyed and sent two brass bands and a big supply of food to meet them. Tears of joy were shed over the arrival of friends and relatives. Hakan had no one to meet him, but his cousin Andrew was always with him. Hakan heard that they needed a miller at Farmington, Utah, so he left for there and found work for a few months, then a man named Mr. Fixer offered him bigger wages if he would come and run his mill in Mt. Pleasant. He ran the Fixer mill for several years. Andrew Beckstrom also went to Mt. Pleasant and put up a blacksmith shop and lived there for the rest of his life. Hakan went to help the Bishop survey the town into city lots one time and for doing so he could pick the lot he wanted. He did this and built a house with a fireplace and this was his bachelor home until 1863. At this time Bishop Seeley received orders from President Brigham Young to furnish so many men to come and help more people cross the plains. So Hakan offered his services. The Bishop said, "God bless you Hakan Anderson, you shall come back with two women.” When they arrived in Florence, Nebraska there were two young girls and an elderly lady as their chaperone who were to come back with Hakan. Their names were Hanna Nelson and Cecelia Swenson. Hanna and Cecelia were very disappointed in not being able to ride but had to walk all the way. Their shoes wore out and their feet would bleed. They had to wade many rivers and then walk until their clothes were dry. At times the Indians would make trouble. When they got a chance they would steal some of the Saint's animals. Their meals were scarce. They had a recipe for soda bread which did not raise and was very tasteless. The fuel was also scarce so they had to burn buffalo chips for fire most of the time. At night time they would dance after supper until time to go to bed. Then prayers were said and they retired early. They arrived in Salt Lake City in September. Hakan married Hanna Nelson sometime in October. She lived only three weeks after they were married. Hakan then married Cecelia on Nov. 2, 1863, in Mt. Pleasant. Later on, March 12, 1864, they were sealed in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Cecelia Swenson Childhood Cecelia Swenson was born on February 23, 1841 in Kvitting Kristianstan Gryt, Sweden. She was the eldest child of Lars Swenson. Her father was born on 15 September 1815, in Kvitting Kristianstad Gryt, Sweden. Her mother, Magtell Johnson, was born on 27 October 1814 in Kvitting Kristianstad Gryt, Sweden. Cecelia had blue eyes, light brown hair, a round face, and was very fair. She had a sister named Betsy, one brother Swen, and a half brother called Ola. When she was a child at home, she had to work very hard going to the field with her father pitching hay, and binding grain. In the winter she had to help thrash the grain with a flail, carry green wood from the forest until her shoulders would swell up. Her dresses would freeze and hit against her ankles and make them bleed. She was only ten years old when she had to do such hard work. Her schooling was very little. A teacher would go from house to house twice a week and teach the children to read and write. Cecelia learned enough that she was able to get along. She kept on studying and when she came to Utah later, she learned to read English as well as she could Swedish. Some of the parents in the old country thought if they whipped their children often, it would make them have more respect for their parents. Cecelia came in for more than her share, and she left home when only 15. She lost all the love and respect she could have had for her father. When she left, she went to work in a dairy. Here she milked 16 cows, night and morning. She worked there for two years and then left for Copenhagen. She worked in a weaving factory there. She and her sister Betsy had joined the L.D.S. Church and were baptized before she left. When Cecelia had worked in the factory for some months, her mother and sister left home and came to live with Cecelia. Their father had become so cross that they left him also. The girls worked and the mother kept house and they were very happy. Everything went well for three weeks, when here came Father Swenson. He asked them to please come home. He told them that he would treat them better if they would. They told him no, but he had news for them. He told them that since they had all joined the Church some converts were going to Zion and that they too must get ready to go to Zion. They did not have enough money for all of them to go to Zion, so they decided to send Cecelia to see if the Mormons were fit to live among. She set sail in April of 1863. Her father paid her transportation, but not one cent did he give her to spend. They had been on the ocean only two days when a big storm came up. They drifted until they could see icebergs. They prayed to the Lord to save them. They landed in New York safely, and were taken to Madison Square Gardens, and here all kinds of food was being sold. Cecelia had no money to buy any and was so hungry that someone took pity on her and bought her come food. That was the best food she had tasted. In a few days they were on the train heading for Florence Nebraska, as this was the starting place for the Saints to cross the plains for Zion. It was in Florence, Nebraska that Cecelia and Hakan met each other. After their marriage, Cecelia and Hakan lived in Mt. Pleasant in the home Hakan had built when he was a bachelor. Times were dull in Mt. Pleasant. A big mass meeting was held, all of the people around were suppose to attend. They had built a large bowery and also a temporary stand for the speakers. The purpose of the meeting was to get the Saints to join into a United Order System. Some people were willing but others were not. It was started but later failed. As time went on they decided they needed to build a new home as they had a new baby every two years and their house was getting small. This time they were able to get a stove in their house instead of a fireplace. Hakan paid $80.00 for it, and they were very proud of it. Hakan made most of their furniture for the house. Right after Hakan and Cecelia were married the Indians were on the warpath and people had to move into the Fort. Log cabins were built in the Fort. The men stood guard at times. Hakan stood guard all one summer. Then the Indians calmed down and the people were able to move back into their homes. Then the grasshoppers came and took their crops three different years. Wheat went up to $5.00 a bushel and was hard to get. They almost starved, and flour was rationed. They had two children at the time, but stood the test. Times got a bit better from then on. Old Black Hawk went back to the hills east of Mt. Pleasant. Hakan was still working at the mill. Finally the mill dust made him cough so badly that he thought he would have to quit the mill. Hakan and Cecelia had one white cow, one pig, and a small flock of chickens and a few sheep. Cecelia would wash the wool, then card it and spin it into yarn and knit stockings for the whole family. Each one had two pair that would last for the winter. In the summer she would knit cotton stockings, although they had to go barefoot most of the time. Hakan made wooden shoes for the older children and Cecelia made cloth shoes for the younger ones. When Olaf was two years old the family planned a trip to Hyrum to visit Cecelia's parents and brother and sister, whom she had not seen since they were back in Sweden. It took a week of traveling to get to Hyrum. While they were there they decided to move to Hyrum. Hakan had to go back to Mt. Pleasant to get the furniture. This took him two weeks. The next spring Hakan built a house up on the hill. There, the last of their children were born, a girl, Selma Marie, and the twins Albert and Lambert, and the last boy was Lionel. They had a happy home. They had lots of parties. They liked to get together and sing and dance. The twins died from mumps when they were two months old. They lived in Hyrum for seven years and Hakan had to give up the mill as the dust made him cough too much. People were then getting excited about the Snake River Valley. There was an opportunity for people to claim the land. So Hakan decided that was the place to go with six boys. In the spring of 1885, Hakan and his son Oscar started for the Snake River. It took them a week to make the trip. Hakan and Oscar camped in a covered wagon and plowed and cleared the sagebrush away. They planted about seven acres of grain and wheat and oats. The Snake River Valley was a hard place to settle because the mosquitoes were so bad. The sagebrush was thick and the wind always blew. But after one winter back in Hyrum, the family moved to the Snake River Valley. They lived in the granary until fall. As soon as the wagons were unloaded and the family settled, the men and boys began to plow, pull and pile up sagebrush and set fire to it. When the crops were all in, they built a house. Prices were terrible. Butter was l5 cents a pound and eggs were 20 cents a dozen. In the summer they went down to 8 cents a dozen, so the farmers kept them on ice all summer until winter and then sold them. The church house was built of green cottonwood logs, with dirt floors, a roof, two windows on each side, and a door at the end. With everyone accounted for there were 14 in the congregation. One by one the children began getting married. Cecilia always had a big supper and dance for each of her children as they got married. Hakan lived in Salem only 6 years when he passed away. Louis, a son, then went on a mission to Sweden. He saw Hakan’s relatives, but they were still bitter towards the Mormon Church and would not join. Cecilia lived a widow for 32 years. The last years were very lonesome ones for her. She was just 50 years old when her husband died, and she never remarried. She died July 3, 1924.

Dell B. Anderson Autobiography May 16, 1961

Contributor: Annetta Dansie Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago

I, Dell, was born on May 3, 1924 in Rexburg, (Salem) Madison Co. Idaho. I was the second son of Oscar Dean Anderson and Melinda Jane Bell, in a family of six. I have recently been told that I weighed 14 pounds at birth. That in itself should have been enough to discourage any mother from further child bearing, but this did not prove to be the case. I was followed by two more brothers and two sisters. Part of my very early childhood was spent in Cutback, Montana where my parents moved shortly after I was born. We were there in October, 1925, because that was where my sister, Elaine, was born. After approximately two years of farming in Cutback, we moved to Roberts, Idaho where we rented a farm five miles out of town, along Highway 91. About the time my older brother, Dorsel, was ready to start school, my father became very ill and had to spend a good deal of time in the Idaho Falls, LDS hospital, as a result of a hernia. He was home only a short time when he had to return for a second operation. He was so sick, my mother had to stay with him at the hospital, so Grandma Olena Anderson stayed at our house to send Dorsel to school and Elaine and I stayed with Aunt Ida.( Mothers sister) in Rexburg. One of my remembrances of my father, since that time, was that he always had to wear a wide support belt when he did heavy work, due to the weakness that was left as a result of his operations. The starting of school seemed to be concurrent with milking cows and doing many of the numerous other chores that naturally go along with being raised on a farm. It seemed to us, on numerous occasions, that school was a welcomed relief from the duties that were ours during non-school hours. However, in spite of the hard work and the busy schedule, dad did find time to occasionally join us in a game of marbles or a game of catch with a baseball. He was what many people considered to be a strict disciplinarian. All of us were impressed with a full under-standing of the fact that he meant what he said when he requested us to do something, or that tasks were expected to be accomplished on our own initiative without a reminder. This seemed to be quite severe to us at the time, but as we look back on it now, we do not feel that we are any worse off for it. As the events in our lives unfolded, it was perhaps of great advantage to us. Most of my youth was spent in Roberts. It seemed that with all of the sickness of first, my father, and then my mother, we couldn’t seem to get far enough ahead to buy a place. Consequently, we “got by” on rental properties by milking cows and putting in a lot of hard work for our small share of the crops that we raised. In addition to farm work, we would spend some Saturday’s during the winter, and some nights after school, hunting rabbits. We would skin them, dry the hides and sell both carcass and skin. That was about our main source of spending money. After having rented the Beesley farm for about 6 years, it was sold, so we moved across the road and back in the field close to the Snake river. We had a nice swimming hole there, where, after a hard days work, we would swim or do a little fishing. We caught mostly chubs and suckers. During the late fall we cut willows along the river banks to use for heating and cooking. The snow would get so deep that our trips into town were rather infrequent to buy such items as coal for heating. We had to get up a little earlier than early here, because we had about 1 ½ miles to walk to the bus stop. Our routine chores and some that were not routine, had to be done before we left for school. After about three years of farming here, we moved to a farm about five miles west of Roberts, which we called the Paul Holmes place. It was up on a hill and right next to the sagebrush country. We would spend some of our Saturdays in the wintertime hunting rabbits while here. We had a toboggan that we would use with a team of horses. Sometimes we would pack a lunch and stay out most of the day. This was a fun way to make a little spending money for high school. It was while we were living here that Mother passed away. This was on December 15, 1936. She had been ill with cancer prior to that time for about 18 months. Surgical removal was attempted, but it was too far along to do any good. The children at this time ranged in age from 6 years to 15 years. It was a hard thing for us to see her suffer for such a long time, with the consequent realization that she would not recover. I am sure that her feelings were equally as great, or more so, in her knowledge that she would not be able to finish rearing her family. This was demonstrated one evening when she called all of us to her bedside shortly before she passed away. She told us that she knew beyond a doubt that her remaining time on this earth would be short. She told us to be good to one another, and to stick together and help each other out as much as we possibly could. She said to keep the commandments of the Lord, and in essence, to live good lives and remember the things that we had been taught and to take an active part in the Church. This was indeed a sad and humbling experience of all of us and one that I think will always be remembered by the family members that were old enough to remember. Our Mother passed away shortly after that time. I would like to say that if any of us have accomplished anything noteworthy or pleasing in the sight of the Lord, and consequently in the eyes of our mother, it is offered as a tribute to her who did so much good in her short span of 38 years on this earth, and who endured so much suffering and who gave us this valuable heritage that we have. This, along with the strong foundation that is so fundamental to living a good life on this earth. By the same token, I do not want to minimize my father’s role in the events of our lives. The recognition of natural accomplishments is certainly applicable with each (as with all) having their own individual merit. After farming at the Paul Holmes farm in the field for 2-3 years, we moved closer to town, along Highway 91, where we rented our next farm. This was known as the Connell place. It was south of Roberts about half a mile. We were there a couple of years, when our next move took us to a farm about two miles west of Roberts. This was where we were living when I graduated from High School in 1942. (Dell attended Roberts Elementary School and Roberts High School where he was active in sports, winning letters in basketball and field events. He was also involved in music and graduated in 1942 with the annual Senior Citizenship Award). This was about the time that World War II was getting a good start (It started December 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor) After graduation, I helped the family move to Medicine Lodge, Idaho; thirty miles North of Roberts and West of Hamer. This farm was next to a game preserve, and we were there for only one summer. Dorsel and I went to Salt Lake City to get jobs as third and fourth year apprentice carpenters, thanks to the valuable assistance of an old family friend and hunting partner of Dad’s named Harold Gordon. We stayed with them and worked on defense projects until it was our time to go into the army (army draft). In February 1943 I worked at Hill Air Force Base as Junior Clerk for Civil Service. I was inducted on March 3, 1943 and reported to Ft. Douglas, Utah for duty on March 10, 1943. I was put in the Army Air Force Signal Corps. I was sent from there to Camp Kearns, a short distance from Salt Lake City. Coincidentally, I lived in some of the barracks I had helped to construct prior to induction, both at Ft Douglas and Camp Kearns. In June of 1943, I was shipped by railroad to Camp Crowder, Mo. (Near Joplin) where I complete a course in low and high speed radio operation. I passed a 25 wpm sending and receiving code. We left there December 24, 1943, spending Christmas Eve en-route to Drew Field, Florida (near Tampa). Here, I greeted my cousin Hyrum Bell, also from Roberts; a pleasant surprise. We were engaged in training maneuvers and tactical operations. I also got my first furlough from here. I spent approximately one week getting home, one week at home and one week returning. This was the last time I saw my father and younger sister, Phyllis. From Drew Field, I went to Camp Stoneman, California. This was in June 1944, and from there, overseas to Finchhafen, New Guinea, following 21 days on the boat.. We were there until March of 1945, and en-route to the Phillippines when we received word of the death of President Roosevelt. We landed in Manila Bay, and proceeded from there to San Miguel, Balacan; a short distance away from our main Air Base, and Clark Field. I was with a radar unit in the communications division of the Air Force. The re-occupation of this territory by our troops was of short duration prior to our setting up housekeeping. There was quite a bit of harassment and trouble from numerous pockets of Japanese resistance forces that were left behind. The did a lot of sabotage work on our Clark Field airplanes, as well as causing the native Phillpino farm families a great amount of anxiety for their lives and property when the Japanese made their raids in search of food. I spent my overseas service time with a radar unit in New Guinea, and in the Phillippines. After spending a few months at Clark, I was assigned to accompany an advanced party with three trucks and some lightweight radar equipment northward to Laoag. Here we were to set up an advanced communication system. After taking a few wrong turns, resulting with our ending up in the front lines, and crossing three rivers on bamboo rafts (trucks, equipment, and all propelled by Phillipinos with long poles against the bottom of the river bed, due to the bridges having been blown up), we finally reached our destination. It turned out to be the northern tip of Luzon. We were to scan the South China seas with out radar units, with the mission to pick up incoming enemy planes so their course could be plotted and sent to Headquarters. Headquarters would send out interceptors before they reached their target areas. This is were I was when the war ended, and also where I was waiting, in December for the ship to come and take us home. I received word of my father’s grave illness and was turned down when I applied for an emergency furlough. I later received word of his death, and of the serious illness of my sister, Phyllis, then 14. Again a leave was turned down. I was notified a few days before Christmas, 1945, that she had also passed away. Appeals to the Red Cross and other organizations was to no avail. I was put on a boat with the rest that were waiting. We spent 15 days on the ocean and three days at mustering out camp near Tacoma. Washington. Camp Lewis is where I was discharged on January 26, 1946. The family, in the meantime, had moved from Medicine Lodge the following fall. The Medicine Lodge farm had been misrepresented to the family, when they found that the crops were not worth harvesting. Dad purchased a small home in Roberts, immediately South of the old Elementary School. Dad and Doyle did janitor work at the school and they both drove school buses. By this time, Elaine had married, and Dorsel was discharged. His discharge was the early part of l946. Doyle graduated from High School in the spring of l946 and Don was still in School. We “batched it” for a time and worked at various jobs, including sorting potatoes, cutting and planting potatoes in the spring and did other farm work. When Doyle graduated, he decided to join the Marines, Dorsel was called to the Texas Louisiana Mission as a missionary, and I decided to go to Utah State to pursue a course in Veterinary Medicine. Arrangements had previously been made between Dad and his brother, Vantus, for Don to live with them in Salmon, Idaho. Following the Christmas of l945, Don went to Salmon to live with Vantus and Alice Anderson. I went to Salt Lake, and did carpenter work with Uncle Albert Bell (Mother’s brother), until the start of the fall school term at Utah State. I spent the next three years there, taking pre-veterinary courses as well as participating in activities of and graduating from Lamba Delta Sigma (our Church Religious fraternity). I also received B.A. degree in agriculture from Utah State. In the Spring of 1949, I met the girl that was later to be my wife. I was provisionally accepted into Veterinary School at Washington State for the fall term with the provision that I take Physiological Chemistry during the summer. This I agreed to do. The summer consisted of Chemistry part time, Carpentry on College chicken coops, and last but not least (it better not be) my marriage to Ruth Ellen Hansen, July 21, 1949 in the Logan Temple. Ruth is currently the one so actively engaged in getting the material together and assembled for this book (The Hakan Anderson Family, published in l962) She was the secretary of the Hakan Anderson Family organization, and for the many hours of time and the effort she is putting forth, and the interest shown in getting this accomplished, I would like to offer a special tribute to her at this time. I am sure that I am joined by the rest of the family members in this regard. In the fall of l949, we bought an old Plymouth. We loaded it with our worldly possessions, and in it went to Pullman, Washington for a four year tenure in Veterinary Medicine. Ruth made a considerable contribution to our finances, taking only a short time out for our first baby to arrive, -- our daughter Melinda, born on December 14, 1950. Up until that time, our dog Sandy was the only other member of the household. Melinda had several Baby tenders until the time came to leave Pullman, After graduating in 1953, with a degree in Veterinary Medicine, I accepted an appointment on the Clinic staff as an instructor. Ruth worked for Dean Golden Romney, in the Physical Education Department, and then Dr. Ensiminger in the Animal Husabandry Department until we left in l954. P.S. I also received a B.S. degree in the Biological Sciences from Pullman. Due to the complications involved with the arrival of No. 2 child, it was necessary for Ruth to go to Logan, Utah, where she could be under a Doctor’s care. There was no M.D. in Kamas, Utah, where I then worked, so we moved to Logan, where I practiced for 1 ½ years. We bought a place on South Main, put an addition on the front of the house, which we used as an office. We bought a station wagon for practice transportation. In the winter, I spent three days of every week in Randolph, doing state work to help meet expenses. Our limited reserves was quickly used by the many bills, so I accepted a job in Provo, under the State Public Health Department, as a Veterinary for Utah County. My specific assignment was to organize the state meat inspection program in that area. I worked at this for six months, commuting on week-ends to Logan. Our negotiations on selling our home in Logan and buying in Provo didn’t work out, so I then accepted an assignment at the E. A . Miller Packaging Co., in Hyrum, Utah, with the title of Federal Meat Inspector. This was in February 1956. During this time our second daughter, Rebecca, was born on March 31, 1944, Our first son, Dell-Ray, was born December 11, 1956 . I was transferred to Swift and company in September, 1958, as Meat Inspector Supervisor. I commuted 46 miles each way from Logan to Ogden until February of 1960, when we sold our home in Logan, and moved to Ogden. By that time, we had a couple more additions to the family. Shirley was born May 31, 1958, and Beverly was born October 2, 1959. During my assignment at Swifts, I had occasion to go to Washington, DC. For a week of special training. I arranged to take Ruth with me. We went by train, and had a very enjoyable time. I also flew to Los Angeles where I received instruction in other phases of the work which I later taught to other Veterinarians in Utah and Idaho after I had returned. In October and November, 1960, I was called to Washington again, where I was detailed Beltsville, Maryland with a possibility of a future transfer to the Biological Control Section in the Bacteriology Department. On the day after Christmas, 1960, we loaded up in the station wagon and headed for my newly assigned station in Philadelphia, Pa. Arriving around January 4, 1961. We lived in a trailer house for a week, then moved to an upstairs apartment where we were when our second son, Gregory Earl was born on January 18, 1961. Since arriving here, I have been on detail at Beltsville, Md., until my laboratory in Philly was ready. That should be sometime this summer. We moved into our home in Haddon Heights, N. J. On March 10, 1061. The date is now May 16, 1961, and my wife is trying to figure out how she can get to Utah to get this book in production. Due to my duties here, I will be unable to leave at that time. Hoping all will work out for the best in the future as it has done in the past. We feel that we have been truly blessed thus far in our lives with a nice family and the opportunity we have had to raise them in thE Church. -Dell B. Anderson May 16, 1961

Life timeline of Hogan Anderson

Hogan Anderson was born on 23 Mar 1826
Hogan Anderson was 6 years old when Charles Darwin embarks on his journey aboard HMS Beagle, during which he will begin to formulate his theory of evolution. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Hogan Anderson was 14 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Hogan Anderson was 33 years old when Petroleum is discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania leading to the world's first commercially successful oil well. Petroleum is a naturally occurring, yellow-to-black liquid found in geological formations beneath the Earth's surface. It is commonly refined into various types of fuels. Components of petroleum are separated using a technique called fractional distillation, i.e. separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
Hogan Anderson was 43 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Hogan Anderson was 49 years old when Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Hogan Anderson was 57 years old when Eruption of Krakatoa: Four enormous explosions destroy the island of Krakatoa and cause years of climate change. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa in the Dutch East Indies began in the afternoon of Sunday, 26 August 1883, and peaked in the late morning of Monday, 27 August when over 70% of the island and its surrounding archipelago were destroyed as it collapsed into a caldera. Additional seismic activity was reported to have continued until February 1884, though reports of seismic activity after October 1883 were later dismissed by Rogier Verbeek's investigation into the eruption. The 1883 eruption was one of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic events in recorded history. At least 36,417 deaths are attributed to the eruption and the tsunamis it created. Significant additional effects were also felt around the world in the days and weeks after the volcano's eruption.
Hogan Anderson died on 31 Oct 1892 at the age of 66
Grave record for Hogan Anderson (23 Mar 1826 - 31 Oct 1892), BillionGraves Record 15224195 Rexburg, Madison, Idaho, United States