Hilda M. Rhodin

10 Jul 1843 - 7 Aug 1919


Hilda M. Rhodin

10 Jul 1843 - 7 Aug 1919
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

History of Carl (Mufa) John Anderson (1841-1914) and Hilda (Moomoo) Margareta Rhodin (1843-1919) By Mildred Christiansen Walker (granddaughter) Rhodin Christiansen (grandson) Ruby R. Warnick 1969 To read a description of the beautiful Swedish landscape, to see pictures of her old gabled churches and
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Hilda M. Rhodin
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Hilda M. Rhodin


Pleasant Grove City Cemetery

301-945 Utah 146
Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah
United States


July 2, 2011

Papa Moose

July 2, 2011

Nearby Graves

Nearby GravesTM

Some family members have different last names, but they’re still buried relatively close to one another. View grave sites based on name, distance from the original site, and find those missing relatives.

Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Hilda M....

We found more records about Hilda M. Rhodin.


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Hilda M.


Hilda M. Rhodin is buried in the Pleasant Grove City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



History of Carl (Mufa) and Hilda (Moomoo)

Contributor: crex Created: 9 months ago Updated: 9 months ago

History of Carl (Mufa) John Anderson (1841-1914) and Hilda (Moomoo) Margareta Rhodin (1843-1919) By Mildred Christiansen Walker (granddaughter) Rhodin Christiansen (grandson) Ruby R. Warnick 1969 To read a description of the beautiful Swedish landscape, to see pictures of her old gabled churches and historic castles, and to share, through the printed page, the colorful Midsummer Eve celebration, kindles within us a desire to visit this northern land of our ancestors. Sweden has much the same general shape as California and is nearly the same size. Gently rolling fields and farmlands may be seen in the southern parts, but about sixty percent of the total area is forested and the whole country is thickly dotted with lakes, some one hundred thousand of them. It is an old Swedish saying that, in the beginning, when God separated the water from the dry land, He forgot all about Sweden. The province of Skaraborg, where our grandparents were born, is one of the most scenic areas of Sweden, with forested hills and valleys and clear, sparkling lakes of all shapes and sizes. The province, which is about as large as Wasatch and Utah counties combined, lies between the two largest of Sweden’s lakes. Vanern, to the west, covers just about the same area as Great Salt Lake, and Vattern, to the east is about one third as large. It was in the town of Edsvara, Skaraborg that our grandfather, Carl Johan Anderson was born, 25 July 1841, the son of Andreas Anderson and Beata Andersdotter. He had three older brothers Pehr, Anders and Gustaf. There were six children younger than he, but a sister, Hedda Maria, was the only one of these who lived to maturity. Carl’s father worked as a tenant on Stora Hof, a large estate located at Fyrunga, now called Kvanum. The family had moved there when Carl was a young child. At that time practically all the farmland in the country was held by the nobility in the form of large estates such as the one where Carl grew up. The prospects for the landless commoner were not very bright. He had just about three choices. He could work as a laborer on a large estate; he could farm a parcel of land as a tenant or sharecropper; or, in rare cases, he might acquire a small piece of land of his own, but this was always the poorer marginal land and usually he would have to hire out as a laborer part of the time to make a living. The skilled craftsman had a somewhat better time of it, as a rule, and was considered to be of a little better class than the farm worker. Carl had very little formal schooling, but was taught to read and write by his oldest brother, Pehr. As a young man he received military training at Axwell, where he was given the military name of Bark. It was the practice at that time to give each recruit a name instead of a serial number. This military training was required of all young men in Sweden. About twenty miles north of Stora Hof, on the eastern shore of Lake Vanern, lies beautiful Kinnekulla where Hilda Margareta Rhodin spent her girlhood years. She was born her 10 July 1843, the daughter of Claus Rhodin and Rebecca Dumin. Across the water from her home could be seen the medieval Lacko castle, situated on a small peninsula jutting out into the lake. The region derives its name from a nearby mountain called Kinnekulla, also known as Kindaberg. This mountain is of special interest to geologists because of the unusual layered formation of its base. It also has some historical significance, as it was near here that the first Christian King of Sweden was baptized in the year 1008. He was Olaf, also called Skotkonung, and was converted by St. Sigfried, Archbishop of York, an early missionary to Sweden. As Hilda described her father, he as tall, with black curly hair, brown eyes and heavy dark eye brows. He was a mason by trade and was of the middle class. In his youth he had courted and fallen in love with a girl named Britta Stina Jansson. During this courtship he went away to work in another locality for a time, and while there he met and began keeping company with a young lady named Rebecca Dumin. The first girl, upon hearing of this, came to investigate. Claus Rhodin was beside himself. He loved them both. In desperation he sat down on the sofa with a girl on each side of him, put his head in his hands and wept. His first love, being of a kind and unselfish nature, and thinking of his happiness more than her own, relinquished her claim and told him to marry Rebecca, which he did. A daughter, Hilda Margareta, was born to them. When the baby was fifteen days old the mother died. The child was cared for by a kind neighbor woman until she was about nine months old. Her father then married Britta Stina Jansson, the girl to whom he had been previously engaged. This great-hearted woman raised and cared for her stepdaughter with the same love and tenderness that she bestowed upon the six children born to her. These were Claus Emil, Victor, Augusta Victoria, Noak, Karl Emanuel and Dina Victoria Elizabet. Hilda was brought up in the Lutheran Church and attended the schools of the country which were also Lutheran, as this was the official state church. At the age of thirteen she first heard of the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ from a shoemaker who came to their home to fix the family’s shoes. One day, as the bell at the landlord’s place rang at one o’clock, someone remarked, “They don’t forget to call them back to work on time.” At this time the shoemaker said, “Oh, are they so much after the goods of this world?” It turned out that he was a convert to the Mormon faith and he sensed here an opening for a gospel discussion. He told them about the restoration of the true church. Hilda was deeply impressed. This, she felt, was something familiar, something she had known before and was waiting to hear again. This religion was unpopular and Mormons encountered a good deal of opposition, especially from the Lutheran clergy. One time, when Hilda went as required, to the priest to recite her catechism, the priest, knowing of her relationship with the Mormons, rebuked her. He asked if she had not read the scriptures that children should obey their parents in all things. She replied, “Yes, but I have also read that children should obey their parents in righteousness.” She knew she had found the truth. After a time, she and her stepmother were baptized. Her father, although he showed no opposition, never became a member of the church. As there was no organized branch of the church and, after this first encounter, no missionaries in that part of Sweden for a number of years, she had little contact with others of her belief. It was not until she was grown that she again came in touch with the missionaries. Because of her religion, some of her companions looked upon her with much disfavor. As a young lady she kept company with a young violinist named Dalin, of whom she thought a great deal He declared that the Mormons were very much deluded and because of his scorn for the Latter-day Saints faith, she broke off this association and in so doing suffered much disappointment and heartache. When in her early twenties she secured employment at Stora Hof in the home of the overseer, first as kitchen maid and later as cook. Carl, now a young man, was working as a laborer on the estate, and it was here that they became acquainted. (If this were fiction we could relate an exciting romance, but because we have learned nothing of their courtship, this must be left to the imagination.) They were married 28 December 1868, and made their home as tenants on the estate. These young people were industrious and in about two years they had secured a small house of their own, which was somewhat of an accomplishment for those of the poorest classes in that country. Victor Sandgren and his wife, Christine, lived as overseers on the estate. Mrs. Sandgren joined the church and she and Hilda became life-long friends. Mr. Sandgren came often and talked with Hilda. He remarked that his wife sang all the time, and the more he complained about the church the more she sang. Hilda told him it was because his wife had the spirit of the gospel. The Sandgrens later emigrated and settled in Manila, Utah County. The Mormon missionaries visited Carl and Hilda and were often entertained in their home. One time, as Hilda was making preparations for a cottage meeting, she became quite concerned because she had no Bible to place on the table. Much to her surprise, when Carl came home that evening just in time for the meeting, he had under his arm the much-desired Bible, which he had picked up at an auction sale. Because he had no knowledge that a Bible was needed at that particular time, Hilda felt that this was a sign that the gospel was indeed true. This Swedish Bible is one of the few possessions they brought with them to Utah. It is a large, brown, leather-bound volume printed in the old-style German type and includes the Apocrypha. It is illustrated according to the old sectarian ideas, which spare nothing of the blood and thunder of the Old Testament. At least one grandchild has conjured up many a nightmare from gazing at those horrid old pictures, knowing full well the probable result, but fascinated beyond the power to resist. Of course, the more noble and gentle Bible stories were also illustrated, but natural juvenile perversity dictated the choice of the worst scenes of murder and carnage to pore over. It has no date of publication, but, having been bought at an auction in Sweden about 1869, it could have quite an interesting history. On 17 June 1871 Hilda was again baptized. Although he seemed interested, Carl was not baptized until after they came to Utah. By now they had decided to emigrate to Zion and all their thoughts and energies were directed toward that goal. In the meantime, while living at Stora Hof, they were blessed with two daughters, Hedda Victoria, born 20 December 1869, and Hulda Albertina, born 20 April 1872. In 1873, when Victoria was three and a half years old and Hulda just over a year, the long-anticipated journey to Utah was finally begun. Although it would seem to be a sacrifice to leave their beautiful native land, their relatives and friends, and to part with their home and household possessions, they often said that the joy of coming to Zion far outweighed all of this. They left their home on a midsummer day, 24 June 1873, going first to Liverpool, England. From there, together with a large number of other converts, they sailed to America on the ship “Wisconsin”. Just before boarding the ship they became acquainted with another convert, Mary Elizabeth Swenson who, with her small daughter, was coming to Utah to join her husband, Lars, who had emigrated some time before. She became their traveling companion and life-long friend. While on the ocean a great storm came up and some of the passengers were badly frightened, but Mormon elders who were aboard told them not to be alarmed, as no ship carrying Latter-day Saints had ever gone down. They arrived at New York after three weeks on the water. They went by railway from New York and arrived in Salt Lake City on 24 July 1873. The 24th of July celebration was in progress and the newcomers were very pleased, as at first they thought all the people had turned out to welcome their arrival in Zion. Sister Swenson was met at the station by her husband. Because Carl and Hilda had no relatives in Utah and no plans as to where to locate, they accepted Brother Swenson’s invitation to ride to Pleasant Grove, which at that time was called Battle Creek. They made the trip on a hayrack and stopped the first night in Cottonwood, in the vicinity of present–day Murray. They stayed at the home of a Danish blacksmith named Peter Christiansen, who later moved to Pleasant Grove. The next night they camped in Lehi with a family named Hammer. The Swenson’s and the Andersons remained staunch friends throughout their lives. Sister Swenson was commonly known as Mia Lisa to her friends and relatives. Upon arriving in Pleasant Grove, the family was kindly received into the home of August Warnick and his wife, Swedish converts who had settled a few years earlier in the north west part of Pleasant Grove. This was typical of the brotherly concern for newcomers while some sort of living accommodations could be built. The young couple soon acquired five acres of uncleared land in the northeast part of town on what was to become known as the Grove Creek road. Carl and Brother Swenson made an adobe yard near the foot hills at the site where the James H. Walker home was later built, and here they set to work making adobes. The clay was mixed with their feet, molded in hand molds and set in the sun to dry. By fall Carl was happy to move his family into a one-room house. More rooms were added as time went on, and here they raised their family and resided for the rest of their lives. [Note: The home is located at 709 Grove Creek Drive (500 North) and is still there. (2014)] On 23 August 1873, a month after their arrival, Carl was baptized by Rasmus Peterson and confirmed 24 August 1873 by Knute Swenson. Hilda was rebaptized at the same time. They received their endowments and were sealed a few years later on 3 July 1879. Just prior to this, on 19 June 1879, Hilda was again baptized, for the fourth time. It was not uncommon at that time for converts to be baptized several times, as a renewal of faith. In addition to the two daughters born in Sweden, seven children were born in Pleasant Grove. They were Gustave Albert, 2 September 1874, Ida Matilda, 3 October 1876, Carl Noah, 12 November 1878, and Victor Wilford, 31 December 1880. They all lived to maturity and all, except Carl Noah, married and raised families. The last three children were stillborn; Emil, 8 May 1883, Joseph Herman, 21 April 1884, and Claus Andrew, 28 September 1888. Making a home in this dry, sparsely settled country required a good deal of hard physical work and ingenuity. The land first had to be cleared of sage brush and scrub oak. Because Hilda requested it, a patch of scrub oak was left near the back of the house. She trimmed and cared for it and it became a grove of tall oak trees. [Note: This ‘patch’ of mature oak trees is still standing behind the old house (2014).] During ensuing years fruit trees were planted and alfalfa and other crops were raised. For some years this was the last farm on the road, all the land toward the mountains being uncleared sage brush. Hilda often spoke of her old home in Sweden and no doubt at times felt the pangs of homesickness, but she never regretted their decision to come to Utah. She cherished her new home also, humble though it was, and the modest house was soon surrounded by flowers and shrubs and, in time, a profusion of shade trees. But she never did quite become accustomed to the mountains. To her they seemed so massive and so close that they gave her a vague felling of being hemmed in, and in the nearly half a century she dwelt in their shadow she never learned to live on really comfortable terms with them. But this feeling was not shared by the children and they grew up with no such aversion. As youngsters they enjoyed gathering wild flowers and hiking in the nearby foot hills. The boys spent many a long summer day herding cows on the lower mountain slopes. During the early years it was necessary to carry house water from a stream about two blocks south of their home. The children dreamed of the luxury of some day having a little ditch of running water right in front of the house. This water from an open ditch was not very pure, and in the fall of 1895 the family contracted typhoid fever. A few years later a well was dug in front of the house. The water was drawn up in wooden buckets suspended from a rope run over a pulley which hung in the top of the little well-house. A trough was situated a little distance from the well to water the animals when water in the ditch was scant. The well also served to keep butter and milk cool in the summer. Lard buckets were used as containers and were let down nearly to the water on lengths of small rope. It was not uncommon for the Indians to come to the house begging for “biskie bread”. When the children saw one coming they would quickly clamor up the ladder to the attic, or the loft as it was always called. In the early fall the Indians were often seen going through the sagebrush, each with a gunny sack and a stick, knocking the heads off sunflowers into the sack. The seeds were pounded into a sort of meal for winter food. One time an Indian squaw was given a meal and she left a large wad of gum by the side of her plate. “Pew, she’s left her gum,” a disgusted Matilda exclaimed as she and Hulda were clearing the table,. “We’d better not throw it away,” answered Hulda, and she gingerly wrapped it in a grape leaf and tucked it away on a ledge in the grapevines. Sure enough, next day the squaw came back for her gum. Soon after Hilda had purchased a sewing machine, which was indeed a welcome convenience, an Indian brave stopped by while she was sewing. Each time she came to the end of a seam the Indian would give her knee a nudge. He was so intrigued with watching the wheel go round that he didn’t want her to stop. This made her nervous, and he certainly enjoyed that sewing session a good deal more than she did. Starting early in their lives the children were taught gospel principles at home and attendance at church became a habit. Regular family prayer night and morning was a part of the family pattern, as was listening to “Pa” read aloud from the Swedish Bible. Hilda also liked to read the Bible to herself and she especially enjoyed the Book of Revelations. Swedish was spoken a great deal in the home, and the children retained a command of this language throughout their lives. Hilda made a constant effort to improve her English and she managed to learn to read it fairly well. They also enjoyed their Swedish papers, the Svenske Americanske, the Utah Posten, and Kvinnan och Hemmet (Woman and Home). Carl never learned to speak very good English, but in his later years was able to make himself understood. “Get a book and read,” was a common admonition to a rowdy child in that home. The children were encouraged to get all the education available. This was before the days of free public schools and a fee of one dollar, which was a considerable amount at the time, was charged each child for a term of ten weeks. The necessity for young people to help at home with crops and chores also limited the opportunities for education, but these parents kept their children in school as much as they could. Because of Hilda’s frugality the family never wanted for the necessities of life. To destroy or waste anything that might be useful was entirely against her nature. She was quite skillful with a soldering iron and pots, pans, tubs and other utensils were carefully mended and made to serve long, useful lives. Tin cans were fashioned into drinking cups and dippers by soldering handles onto them. Chicken wings were used as dusters and to brush off the top of the stove. Though she was careful, she was generous with family, friends and neighbors and very sympathetic, especially toward children and animals. After the birth of three stillborn children during the 1880’s, Hilda’s health was never very good. She was still able to perform some of the lighter household chores, but she had to learn to limit her exertions. For a few years Carl worked on the Denver and Rio Grande railroad, which ran along the shore of Utah Lake. For a time, he walked down there every day, worked on the section for ten hours, and walked home again. This made for some long days, as it was a total of eight or tem miles, and later he and some others of the crew took to camping near their work during the week. With the money earned on this job they were able to buy a farm out in Lindon. Part of the land, which lay above the North Union Canal, was dry farm. By much careful cultivation Carl grew corn on this land without irrigation, which was evidence of his skill as a farmer. He drove a fine team of buckskin horses. Prince was a genuine buckskin with a rich orange color, and was of a rather calm and easy-going disposition. His team –mate, Old Sis, was a high-strung as he was docile. Besides the team they had Old *** whom Hilda especially loved, even though he was a very high-spirited and often became frightened of the trains. Then there was Old Hat who pulled them in the buggy out to the farm in Lindon when they went to visit or to oversee the work. Some of the grandchildren remember the joy of going with them, sitting in the bottom of the buggy on a little chair. The older grandchildren have pleasant recollections of staying overnight in the one-room house on the farm when they went out to pick up potatoes and help with other chores. Albert and Wilford later farmed this land for many years and both raised their families in Lindon. Hilda enjoyed the association of her friends, most of them Scandinavian converts like herself. The women used to gather at peach cuttings, quiltings and wool-carding bees and enjoy some fun and sociability as they worked together at these necessary tasks, which if performed alone would have been only drudgery. Often on long winter evenings they would get together along with their men folks and play “racker” and visit. Because of the large number of Swedish and Danish converts, a Scandinavian Organization was set up to promote the social and cultural activities of the immigrants. They held church services in Swedish and Danish and also sponsored choirs, theatricals and celebrations of old country holidays. Singing in the choir was especially enjoyable diversion for Hilda. This association with their countrymen filled a need in the lives of all these new arrivals and helped to make the transition to life in a new land somewhat less abrupt. The Midsummer Eve festivities, celebrated since olden times in Sweden to welcome the long days of the northern summer, were fittingly observed on June 24th of each year in August Warnick’s orchard. The Fourth and the Twenty-fourth of July were also observed in the “Grove” on main street. The family enjoyed getting together often. As Carl and Hilda were both born in July, their birthdays were sometimes celebrated jointly, with dinner under the trees by the canal at the farm in Lindon. Once a year, during the summer, Albert and Wilford would load their families into their covered wagons and drive into town. There they would be met by the town folks and they would all go to Saratoga Springs for a day of reunion and picnicking. Carl and Hilda would drive along in the buggy behind Old Hat, as it was too uncomfortable for her to ride so far in a spring less wagon. On one memorable Fourth of July the whole family attended a silent movie in Will Clark’s Opera House. Just what the somewhat taciturn Carl thought of it no one could be sure, but Hilda was as excited and entranced by the romantic story as was one of her granddaughters for whom it became a lifelong memory. Scandinavians had a real love for the “Jule” season and they knew how to celebrate it in the genuine Christmas spirit of love, kindness and generosity. The real live candles on the small green tree, the crunch of snow underfoot, and the visits of friends and relatives are happy memories for those of us who can recall the holiday time in the old home. Early on Christmas Eve the family began gathering. Those who lived in Lindon arrived in bob sleights with bells jingling on the horses. What a wonderful, melodious sound is that of Swedish sleigh bells! Scorching pine or balsam needles scattered on the back of the stove spread that special Christmas fragrance all through the house. The traditional Christmas Eve supper set up on long tables was eagerly awaited by young and old. The boiled chicken and potatoes and the creamed codfish (lutfisk) were always a part of the feast. The rhyme mush, rice cooked in milk with cinnamon and sugar, caused great merriment among the folks, as each one must compose and recite a rhyme before he was allowed to eat it. Next in order was a program prepared and presented by the grandchildren, wearing costumes of their own making. When the family became too numerous the supper was discontinued, but the gathering was still held at the old home each Christmas Eve. Among the most cherished memories of those who were children then are the lighted candles on the tree, the Christmas songs and the hushed anticipation just before the arrival of Santa Claus, who came in jingling the bells and bringing for each child a little bright red or green cloth bag filled with candy and nuts, which was received with an almost reverent awe. Carl and Hilda were affectionately known to their grandchildren as Moomoo and Mufa. They wanted to be called by the Swedish names for grandmother and grandfather, which would be Mormor and Morfar (mother’s mother and mother’s father), but the best that Dahlia, the oldest grandchild, could do was Moomoo and Mufa, and thus they were known, not only to the family, but to all the children in that end of town, who showed a great love and affection for Moomoo and Mufa. Hilda had a deep love of beauty and a romantic and poetic nature, and her flower garden was evident of this. The golden rain tree in her garden was a lovely sight to see and to smell. They must have sent away for it, as there was no other like it around that we can remember. The long, golden tassels of sweet-pea-like blossoms were beautiful and we loved it because she loved it. The calico roses blooming in her east garden were her pride and joy. They were two-toned pink and white roses and were not seen in any other garden around. Peter’s tears are reminders of her, as also are fuchsias and touch-me-nots that flourished in her window garden. The familiar caution, “Be careful of Ma’s flowers” as the window blinds were being drawn for the night, was evidence of Carl’s concern for the well-tended house plants. A pear tree that stood not far from the front door took on a personality all its own and it was not known as just a pear tree, but as “The Pear Tree”, and the fragrance of pear blossoms in spring bring back memories of that old home. The mulberry tree growing at the northeast corner of the log shanty, and the old front gate are a pleasant part of our memories. Below the old well in the front yard grew a profusion of hollyhocks of every color, and among them grew dill, which was used in making Swedish dill pickles, which were like no other pickles on earth. The grape arbor, or “the grapevines” as it was called, to the east of the house, provided not only small, purple grapes for delicious jelly and juice, but a shelter for beds in the hot summer as well. It also served as a playhouse and for amateur theatricals and for carding bees. It was as much a part of living as was the house. Near the house grew early harvest, red astrakhan and coddling apples which were enjoyed by all the kids around. A row of damson plum trees furnished delectable preserves for all the family for many years. Sometimes, in special years, Carl’s garden yielded peas and strawberries as early as Memorial Day. His thrifty and industrious nature was displayed in his well-kept place. Farther to the west of the house stood the barn and corral. Carl was as kind to his animals as he was to his own people. They were well fed and sheltered and kept very clean. He maintained that a pig should have a dining room, a bedroom and a corner for use as a bathroom. His animals always had fresh, clean straw for a bed, and he saw to it that the fertilizer was on the land and not accumulating in the barnyard. However, it was some time after he came to this country before he learned to milk a cow. This was strictly women’s work in Scandinavia, along with many other farm chores, and many a newly arrived immigrant stared in astonishment at his first sight of a man milking a cow. Carl was even-tempered and seldom cross or angry. He was a hard worker, had regular, systematic habits and was an early riser. He had one habit that rather amused the family. When he got up in the morning, the first thing he put on was his hat. He had no time for idle gossip and, after the closing prayer at church, he was out the door and half way home before the others had scarcely time to say “Amen”. The grandchildren soon learned that if they intended to go someplace with Mufa, they’d either be ready on time or be left behind. It was a great satisfaction to Carl and Hilda to send their oldest son, Albert, on a mission to Sweden. He left Salt Lake City on 16 October 1897 and returned in December 1899. He labored in the Skona branch. While in Sweden he visited his mother’s half-brother, Noak, who still lived in the old home. Many years before, when Hilda was a child, her father, who was a stone mason, was helping to remove the remains of an old building. Here he salvaged two interesting old stone faces, one of a man and the other of a woman. When his new home was built he put one face on each side of the fireplace. During Albert’s visit, Noak chiseled the woman’s face from its setting and sent it to Hilda, saying that it would bring back memories of her childhood days. The family made an excursion to the Salt Lake Temple n November 1908, which no doubt was a gratifying experience. The children, who had been born before the parents were sealed in the Endowment House in 1879, were sealed to their parents. This included all of them except Wilford. The group made the trip in wagons and stayed in Salt Lake for several days. Other family baptisms, endowments and sealings were also done at this time. Carl and Hilda appreciated the gospel with its many blessings and opportunities and they never regretted leaving their native land for its sake. Their lives were not of the easiest and many trials came their way. Hilda often said to children and grandchildren, “You won’t have it too good, the Lord will see to that.” This indicated the assurance she felt that God gives us trials to make us stronger and that by hardships we grow. Carl worked hard all his life and, as far as we know, suffered very little illness. Even in his later years he remained quite active. He had turned the farm over to his sons, but he still kept a few chickens and tended to his garden and orchard at the old home. His death came rather suddenly, after only a few days of illness, on 5 November 1914, at the age of 73. He held the office of High Priest. Hilda died five years later, on 7 August 1919, at the age of 76. She was survived by three sons and two daughters, nineteen grandchildren and thirteen great-grandchildren. They were humble people, not famous nor widely known, but genuinely loved and respected by all who did know them, young and old alike. From the day when, in their native land, they heard the message and believed, they were staunchly faithful to their religion, in word and in deed. They were loyal and progressive citizens of their adopted country, while keeping and cherishing some of the lovely old customs and traditions of their homeland. They journeyed to this new land, not in the expectation of finding Zion readymade for them, but prepared to build their portion by the labor of their hands. The acres they had found in sage and oak brush they left fertile and productive. As some reward for their years of toil, they were able to enjoy such simple comforts as they required in their declining years. Their generous good nature, and their earnest efforts and desire to do right, make it easy to overlook their short-comings and their human frailties. Striving as they did to live up to principles which are eternal and unchanging, the example they set could well be followed in this, or any, day and age.

Life timeline of Hilda M. Rhodin

Hilda M. Rhodin was born on 10 Jul 1843
Hilda M. Rhodin was 16 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin was 17 years old when Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin was 37 years old when Thomas Edison demonstrates incandescent lighting to the public for the first time, in Menlo Park, New Jersey. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin was 42 years old when Louis Pasteur successfully tests his vaccine against rabies on Joseph Meister, a boy who was bitten by a rabid dog. Louis Pasteur was a French biologist, microbiologist and chemist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccination, microbial fermentation and pasteurization. He is remembered for his remarkable breakthroughs in the causes and prevention of diseases, and his discoveries have saved many lives ever since. He reduced mortality from puerperal fever, and created the first vaccines for rabies and anthrax. His medical discoveries provided direct support for the germ theory of disease and its application in clinical medicine. He is best known to the general public for his invention of the technique of treating milk and wine to stop bacterial contamination, a process now called pasteurization. He is regarded as one of the three main founders of bacteriology, together with Ferdinand Cohn and Robert Koch, and is popularly known as the "father of microbiology".
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin was 50 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin was 62 years old when Albert Einstein publishes his first paper on the special theory of relativity. Albert Einstein was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics. His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known to the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2, which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation". He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the development of quantum theory.
See More
Hilda M. Rhodin died on 7 Aug 1919 at the age of 76
Grave record for Hilda M. Rhodin (10 Jul 1843 - 7 Aug 1919), BillionGraves Record 33544 Pleasant Grove, Utah, Utah, United States