Henrietta Taylor

26 Sep 1833 - 27 Sep 1901

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Henrietta Taylor

26 Sep 1833 - 27 Sep 1901
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HENRIETTA TAYLOR HOLLADAY 'To be given to my two sons -- Norman Silvester and Jesse Hollis Holladay -- in the year of Jubliee -- 1930, fifty years from now. 'Henrietta Holladay, daughter of Benjamin Franklin and Ann Mennell Taylor. Born September 26, 1833 in the State of Ohio, Lorra
Register to get full access to the grave site record of Henrietta Taylor
Terms and Conditions

We want you to know exactly how our service works and why we need your registration in order to allow full access to our records.

terms and conditions

Contact Permissions

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

Thanks for registering with BillionGraves.com!
In order to gain full access to this record, please verify your email by opening the welcome email that we just sent to you.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Life Information

Henrietta Taylor


Santaquin City Cemetery

160-198 E 300 S
Santaquin, Utah, Utah
United States


Gone. but not forgotten.

Headstone Description

Beloved wife of David H Holladay. Born in Ohio. Loraine, Co.


June 28, 2011


June 27, 2011

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+

Find more about Henrietta...

We found more records about Henrietta Taylor.

Grave Site of Henrietta


Henrietta Taylor is buried in the Santaquin City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Henrietta Taylor

Contributor: marika Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HENRIETTA TAYLOR HOLLADAY "To be given to my two sons -- Norman Silvester and Jesse Hollis Holladay -- in the year of Jubliee -- 1930, fifty years from now. "Henrietta Holladay, daughter of Benjamin Franklin and Ann Mennell Taylor. Born September 26, 1833 in the State of Ohio, Lorraine County. "My father and mother embraced the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the year 1840, in the winter season. In the year 1843, my father moved with his family to Macidona, illinois. I was baptized there and was the first time that I witnessed the persecutions of the Saints by the people of Illinois. It was fearful time. We could see the smoke coming from the houses that were set on fire by the mob and we had to send all of our furniture and bedding into Nauvoo. These were trying times and to live in a republic where Liberty and Freedom is proclaimed. The mob used to march through our place with drums and guns. I was small then and I used to go up stairs and look our of a small window and wonder if our home would be the next to be set on fire. I was looking for them to set fire to my father's house everytime they would pass through, but they did not. "After the death of our Prophets, Joseph and Hyrum Smith, the mob was so bad that we had to leave and move to Council Bluffs. There we remained a few years and went through many hardships. We have no house, only a wagon, and seven of us were taken down at once with the measels and all in one wagon. We lived on Johnny cake and porridge for three weeks; then we crossed the plains in the company of William Wall in the year 1850, arriving her (Utah) in the fall and spend the winter in a dugout. In the spring of 1851 my father was called to move to California by Amassa Lyman and Charles C. Rich. In the year 1852 I was married to David Hollis Holladay, son of John Holladay, Sr. and Catherine B. Higgins of Alabama. We were married by John Croby, our Bishop of San Bernardino. We lived there seven years during which time I had two sons. The name of our first son was David Franklin Holladay, born October 28, 1853. The name of my second son was John Martin Holladay, born April 10, 1857. In the year of the big move from Salt Lake my husband and I and family returned to Utah and settled in Beaver a short time. We arrived in the fall and my husband started to build us a long house and before it was completed he was called to explore the White Mountains with Amassa Lyman and company. I moved into the house with a quilt hung up for a door and a piece of cloth for a window. He was gone four or five months during which time I live mostly alone with my two children. He had to hire his crop to be harvested while he was gone. In the fall there was an early frost which destroyed everthing leaving us very destitute having to sell part of our team to buy bread. My husband got discouraged and thought we had better move farther north. "We traveled until we came to the place called Santaquin and settled down on a rock bed. The first winter we lived in a tent and slept in a wagon box. We thought we were doing well to have shelter from the storm. Things were very high and hard to get. We were doing well to get frozen potatoes to eat. We had one yoke of oxen and someone shot one of them so that left us with just a half a team. When I look back and think what we passed through, I wonder how we lived but I know it was through the goodness of our Heavenly Father that our lives were spared to return to these valleys of the mountains where we could dwell in peace without being mobbed or driven around. My husband then bought a place or what was then called the Main Creek. He built a little log house which we lived in seven years. During these seven years, I had two daughter. The name of the first was Henrietta Ann Holladay, botn October 21, 1860. My second daughter was born October 28, 1864 and named Elizabeth Euzell Holladay. After we had been here for a year or two the grasshoppers and crickets came and destroyed everything for three or four years, which left us in very poor circumstances. My husband then went to work in the canyon to try to make another start. He commenced to build an adobe house, which he finished in seven years after he moved here. We then moved into our new home, which seemed like a palace to me. The house had four rooms and faces the North. In the year 1870,, June 8, death took away my eldest son, Franklin, which was a great loss and sorrow to us. He was a good and obedient boy and loved by all who knew him. He and his brother John were faithful in carrying mortar to help build our new home; but the poor boy never lived long to enjoy it. He was taken to a better place where pain and sorrow is not known and dwell with the angels in their home. In the year 1871 another wa born to us on August 8. He was given the name of Norman Silvester Holladay. "In the year 1873 our last son was born. He was given the name of Jesse Hollis. He was born May 23. When Jesse was 9 months old (1874) death took away my beloved husband, which was a great sorrow to me. He died with Erysipelas in his left arm. His sickness lasted but a few days. His sudden death caused a great gloom over the settlement. He was missed by the Saints in giving good counsel and helping to poor. He died in full faith of the Gospel and with the assurance of a resurrection which is just a short time until we shall meet again. This left me a widow with a young babe and four children. My mother was the mother of twelve children and raised them all but one. She went through many hardships while raising her family. She lived to see her youngest child married and have a good home. In the year 1875, one year after my husband's death, my mother departed this life, her sickness lasting but 5 minutes. She died with heart disease. This added to my grief. "I have thought sometimes I could not stand up under this great burden, no husband to comfort and cheer me, no mother to speak a kind word to me. It seemed as though I was left without a friend on Earth only my Heavenly Father. Then I have thought of my children that it was all left for me to raise them, educate them, and bring them up in the fear of the Lord and reach them to follow in the footsteps of their father, which I have been trying to do with the best of my ability, with the help of the Lord. If I should sit down and think over what is required of me as a mother (and now as a widow) to raise my family, I am sure I would think I could not do it; but the Lord say, "I will be father to the fatherless and a comforter to the widow." I can bear testimony that He has been the same unto me and my children for we have lived thus far with plenty to eat and wear and give donations to the poor and I realize it is through His goodness that my life has been spared to bring up my children and my desire is to live to see my youngest child married and have a good home and my children living fifty years from now can read this and remember the kind teachings of their mother, who may be in the spirit world with her husband. I will say to my children, be faithful and hold out to the end, keep the commandments which the Lord has given unto us to that you can receive exaltation in His Kingdom where all the righteous shall dwell. "I believe I have now complied with the request of my children and friends in giving a short history of my life. Hoping that it may be of used in some future time to those of my children who may read this and be an incentive to them to put their trust in God and in conclusion I wish to say -- Children, live your religion, be perservering in well doing and may God forever bless you and protect you from all harm is the prayer of your mother who loves you all dearly." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Henrietta Taylor Holladay was truly a remarkable and noble woman. He kind, tender, and loving dispositin endeared her to all who knew her. Righteousness and faithfulness were fixed and guiding lights in her life. From girlhood through life, she had the courage to do right. Faith, love, and patience were virtues that contributed to her sterling character and outstanding influence. Her talents were many, gifted especially in the art of sewing, knitting, and weaving. She made her family's clothing and sewed the burial clothes for those who passed on in the entire community, always willing to render this service, for which she would never accept payment. She made her children's hats from the straw she gathered from the grain fields after the harvest. The yarn used for knitting and weaving was made from the wool she carded, spun, and colored using plants, roots and berries for the dye. There still remains part of a blue and white bed spread she wove over 100 years ago, and the color still shows no sign of fading. She help meet the need of her family and home by selling knitted articles of clothing. She gave many hours in compassinate service, always on call with a willingness to share the burdens of others, and caring for the sick and the needy. No one could fail to recognize the strength of character, fortitude, and determination in this good woman to make use of her God-given talents in providing for her family, whom she loved so dearly. When her youngest sons finished their secondary schooling, she rented a house in Provo and took in boarders to provide the financial means necessary to send them to the Brigham Young Academy. Her life was one of service and dedication to her Heavenly Father, her family and fellowmen. She left a legacy of love and labor. The sweet memory of her name, live, and ministry has been and will always be lovingly and gratefully remembered. Henrietta Taylor Holladay passed away on September 27, 1902 at her home and was laid to rest in Santaquin, Utah. (This previous story was contributed by Gladys Holladay Gale, a granddaughter of Henrietta Taylor Holladay and contributed to the Benjamin Franklin Taylor Org. Newsletter.) "I believe I have now complied with the request of my children and friends in giving a short history of my life. Hoping that it may be of used in some future time to those of my children who may read this and be an incentive to them to put their trust in God and in conclusion I wish to say -- Children, live your religion, be perservering in well doing and may God forever bless you and protect you from all harm is the prayer of your mother who loves you all dearly." * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * *

Henrietta Ann Taylor Holladay (26 September 1833 – 27 September 1901)

Contributor: marika Created: 1 year ago Updated: 1 year ago

From Daughters of the Utah Pioneers BIRTHDATE: 26 Sep 1833, Lorain Co., Ohio DEATH: 27 Sep 1902, Santaquin, Utah Co., Utah PARENTS: Benjamin F. Taylor, Ann Mennell PIONEER: 1850, William Wall Wagon Train SPOUSE: David Hollis Holladay MARRIED: l Feb 1852, San Bernardino, California DEATH SP: 29 Jan 1874, Santaquin, Utah Co., Utah CHILDREN: David Franklin, 28 Oct 1853 John Martin, 10 Apr 1857 Henrietta Ann, 21 Oct 1860 Elizabeth Euzella, 28 Oct 1864 Norman Sylvester, 8 Aug 1871 Jesse Hollis, 23 May 1873 The Taylor family embraced the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1840 when Henrietta was seven years old. In 1843, they moved to Macedonia, Illinois, where she was baptized. It was a fearful time when mobs burned the houses and terrorized the people. After the Prophet's death they moved to Council Bluffs, where they lived in a wagon. She states: "We lived on johnny-cakes and porridge for 3 weeks. After living in a temporary home in Winter Quarters for 4 years, we crossed the plains in the William Wall Company arriving in Utah in 1850. We lived under the most harsh conditions. In the spring my father was called to move to California." On February 1, 1852, Henrietta married David Hollis Holladay in San Bernardino, California. During the seven years in California she had two sons. When the Saints came back to Utah, they settled in Beaver, Utah, where her husband started to build a log house. Before it was completed he was called to explore the White mountains with Amasa Lyman and Company. Henrietta moved into the house, but had to hang a quilt over the front door and cloth over the window. After he returned they decided to move farther north to Santaquin, Utah, where David built a four-room adobe house. Nine months after her last child was born, her husband had an accident to his arm which caused blood poisoning to set in, causing his death at the age of forty-two on January 12, 1874. This was a great hardship for Henrietta and her young family. Her mother was a great help, but she died the next year. Henrietta continued to live in Santaquin, passing away there on September 27, 1902, at the age of sixty-nine. (http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=28180345)

Life timeline of Henrietta Taylor

Henrietta Taylor was born on 26 Sep 1833
Henrietta Taylor was 7 years old when Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph. Samuel Finley Breese Morse was an American painter and inventor. After having established his reputation as a portrait painter, in his middle age Morse contributed to the invention of a single-wire telegraph system based on European telegraphs. He was a co-developer of the Morse code and helped to develop the commercial use of telegraphy.
Henrietta Taylor was 26 years old when Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Henrietta Taylor was 36 years old when Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the National Woman Suffrage Association, breaking away from the American Equal Rights Association which they had also previously founded. Susan B. Anthony was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
Henrietta Taylor was 44 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Henrietta Taylor was 50 years old when Krakatoa begins to erupt; the volcano explodes three months later, killing more than 36,000 people. Krakatoa, or Krakatau, is a volcanic island situated in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in the Indonesian province of Lampung. The name is also used for the surrounding island group comprising the remnants of a much larger island of three volcanic peaks which was obliterated in a cataclysmic 1883 eruption.
Henrietta Taylor was 59 years old when Electrical engineer Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri. Nikola Tesla was a Serbian American inventor, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, physicist, and futurist who is best known for his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.
Henrietta Taylor died on 27 Sep 1901 at the age of 68
Grave record for Henrietta Taylor (26 Sep 1833 - 27 Sep 1901), BillionGraves Record 29109 Santaquin, Utah, Utah, United States