Heber John Stowell Obituary
Contributor: HelenMcK Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
FRIDAY EVENING, FEBRUARY 2 l92S AND DAHO NEWS Items of Interest .From Utah and Gem State NATIVE OF OGDEN IS DEAD AT PRICE, Feb. 2 Heber J. Stowell. formerly of Ogden, known as the oldest coal prospector and pioneer of 'Carbon county, died yesterday at his home here from general debility. Heber J. Stowell was born in Ogden In 1860. He came to Carbon county 35 years ago, and located a i desert entry on the present Spring Glen townsite, where he built a large residence. In 1889. he married Ellen Lavina Thompson of Coalville. His .widow, and eight of ten children survive 'him They are Mrs. Mabel Hills of : Price, E.-.E. Stowell. W. E. Stowell. 'E. J. Stowell, John and Cynthia Hill, all of Price. A daughter, Mrs. A. M. Hagen, resides at 1131 Windsor street, Salt Lake. Mr. Stowell was the locator or the Kenilworth mine, now operated by the Independent Coal Coke company. He also located and developed the Hardscrabble coal mine near Helper. In agriculture Mr. Stowell was also a pioneer. He surveyed, located and developed the first "big ditch" taken out of the Price river known as the Stowell ditch they say "only a Mormon bishop can make water run up hill"
BIOGRAPHY OF HEBER JOHN STOWELL
Contributor: HelenMcK Created: 3 years ago Updated: 3 years ago
Heber John Stowell was born 14 July 1860 in Ogden, Weber, Utah Territory to William Rufus Rogers and Cynthia Jane Park Stowell.
His father was born in 1822 in New York. He joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 20 August 1833 at the age of ten along with his parents. He married Jane Kelly in 1842 in Missouri at the age of 20. There were no children from the marriage that ended in divorce. His father formed an acquaintance with Miss Hannah Topham. He went East in the spring of 1844 and when he returned he renew his acquaintance with her. They were married in Nauvoo on Christmas Day 1844 by Elder Lorenzo Snow.
He had been raised as a farmer and in the season of 1845 he plied his vocation on the East of Nauvoo. He was blessed with very good crops. While much of the grain raised that season was destroyed by the mob, he succeeded in harvesting his and bringing it home. In addition to the farming, he shared with the people in their labors on the public works, particularly in pushing the temple to completion. In the meantime, persecution was raging against the saints and the time was approaching when they would be compelled to leave their beautiful city in the hands of their enemies.
During the latter part of January 1846, a company of pioneers of 100 men was organized under the command of Colonel Stephan Markham. This was subdivided into fifties and tens. William Stowell belonged under the second fifty under Capt. John Gleason. The special duties of this body were to open roads, build bridges over streams, prepare the way for the traveling camps; also to take jobs of work when opportunity offered, and for pay obtain supplies for the camp, of forage for the animals and food for the people. At first, before leaving Nauvoo, much of this labor was cutting and preparing timber for wagons and fitting up teams for the Pioneers.
He also did what was necessary to prepare his own outfit. From the 1st to the 14th of Feb. he assisted in ferrying across the Mississippi River. On the 13th, his own team was crossed and he encamped on thewest bank of the river. That night two or three inches of snow fell. The following day his ten drove out to the camp on Sugar Creek. It was a long and hard journey for the Saints as they crossed Iowa with the pioneers. They moved on to Garden Grove and started cultivating a garden and raising a crop of corn. They left the camp and moved on to Council Bluffs. He built a log house, fenced a farm and raised a crop. Their first child, William John Thornton was born on 11 February 1848 and died on 29 November 1848.
They left with the David Evans Company on 15 June 1850 with 109 individuals and 54 wagons. The outfitting took place at Kanesville(present day Council Bluffs) Iowa. They arrived in the valley on 15 September 1850 and stopped in the old fort in the sixth ward. He was in the home of Brother Edward Dalton, a little south of the city of Millcreek and for sometime hauled wood from Parley’s Fork to obtain a livelihood.
They moved to the Utah Valley in 1851. His wife became dissatisfied with him and divorced him. He became acquainted withC ynthia Jane Park and they were married on 23 September 1852 in Provo, Utah,Utah Territory. Cynthia Jane was born on 20 April 1836 in Yorkville, Gibson, Tennessee to John Miller and Matilda Wallace Stewart Park. He was 30 and she was 16.
Miranda’s parents were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1844. Her father died in Yorkville, Gibson, Tennessee on 17 June 1845. Her mother decided to come west with the Saints. She was 42 at the time of the trek west. She brought with her Samuel Wallace, age 20; Amanda Louisa, age 17; Cynthia Jane, age 15; Esther Catherine, age 13; and James Addison, age 8. Martha Matilda born 2 June 1840 died while they were in Pidgeon Creek, Pottawattamie, Iowa on 11 May 1846. Two other children Sarah Ann and Mary Elizabeth came at a different time.
They began their journey from the outfitting post at Kanesville (present day Council Bluffs) Iowa. They joined the John G. Smith Company which departed 1 May 1851 with 151 wagons. They traveled with Almon W.Babbitt’s Company. They had crossed the Loupe Fork River on 12 June but had made very little headway till then, in consequence of bad roads and their endeavoring to head some of the larger streams, which proved ineffectual. President Orson Hyde and his express company met with them and helped them progress on their journey with alacrity and speed.
By 22 July they were near Fort Laramie. They were in three groups of 50’s. Several Indian attacks from the Omaha’s and Pawnee’s, plus sickness and cholera in previous companies caused the trains to turn down to the Platte River after crossing the Horn. They were now in unknown country forging a new road. There were very few Indians but they also lost time in the sand hills and the new route was about 150 miles longer. They only lost four head of cattle. On 22 August they were just east of Fort Laramie when they encounter a small Indian attack and two Indians were killed.
The three groups arrived in the Salt Lake valley between the 15 and 23 September 1851. The family settled in Spring City, Sanpete, Utah Territory. William sold out his property and moved to Fillmore with his family. In January 1854 his brother’s wife died and his brother died in March 1854 leaving his five little one in the care of William and Cynthia. Their first child, Brigham was born 24 April 1854 in Fillmore, Millard, Utah Territory.
In June, 1855, the family moved to Brigham’s Fort in Weber County, where he had many friends and relatives. He was located about 3 miles northwest of Ogden and on the opposite side of the Weber River. He also took a town lot in Ogden to improve as he had opportunity. Because of the lateness of the season her father William Stowell did not attempt to farm but assisted others in gathering crops to help feed family and animals.
His father, William married Sophronia Kelley on 9 October 1855 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. He was now participating in plural marriage. Sophronia was born 22 July 1825 in Potton, Brome, Quebec, Canada. She was 30 years old and he was 33 when they were married in the President’s Office in Salt Lake. They would have seven children, five girls and two boys.
He then married Harriet Eliza Stowell on 15 August 1860 in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. They had eight children, four girls and four boys, all born in Ogden, Weber, Utah Territory.
His mother, Cynthia Jane had twin girls on 6 January 1856 at Bingham’s Fort, Weber, Utah Territory. Amanda and Miranda Stowell added three children to the family. They moved out of the fort and into Ogden,Weber, Utah Territory where the next six siblings were born. Rufus was born 14 April 1858 and died 15 October 1858; Heber John was born 14 July 1860; Matilda was born 25 February 1863; Cynthia was born 21 April 1865; James was born 31 January 1868; and Francis Augustus was born on 7 April 1877.
Heber John was baptized on 1 October 1868 at the age of eight. He was endowed on 23 April 1885 in the Logan Temple, Logan, Cache, Utah Territory at the age of 24. He married Ellen Lavina Thompson on 18 February 1888 in Manti, Sanpete, Utah Territory. He was 28 years old when they married. Ellen Lavina was born 13 April 1869 inBirmingham, Warwickshire, England to Henry and Jane Frisby Thompson. They immigrated to America in 1883.
They had eleven children, five girls and six boys. The first nine were born in Spring Glen, Carbon, Utah. Stella Lavina was born 7 February 1889 and died 12 June 1891; Clarence Heber was born 8 March 1891 and died 12 October 1904; Mabel Viola was born 28 December 1893; Eston Earl was born 25 January 1896; Urbon Elmo was born 2 December 1897; Gardie Elizabeth was born 2 December 1899; Elvin James was born 26 February 1902; Cynthia Ellen was born 5 January 1904; and Dell Clifton was born 5 March 1906. Gladys Jane was born 4 April 1908 in Carbonville, Carbon, Utah and diedin May 1918; and John Arthur was born 15 July 1910 in Price, Carbon, Utah.
Heber John died 30 January 1923 in Helper, Carbon, Utah at the age of 62 and was buried in the Haycock Cemetery, Carbon, Utah. Ellen died 13 February 1889 at the age of 89 and was buried on 17 February 1959 in the Haycock Cemetery, Carbon, Utah.