Heber James Wilson

1860 - 1935

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Heber James Wilson

1860 - 1935
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

Heber James Wilson Heber James Wilson son of Robert Wilson and Mary Ann Baldwin was born August 28, 1860 at Salt Lake City, Utah. In the year 1861 his father was called by the church to go to Santa Clara. He took his three wives, his first wife Mary Ann Baldwin and two Blood girls and moved to Santa

Life Information

Heber James Wilson


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015

Monticello City Cemetery

April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Heber James


Heber James Wilson is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Heber James Wilson

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Heber James Wilson Heber James Wilson son of Robert Wilson and Mary Ann Baldwin was born August 28, 1860 at Salt Lake City, Utah. In the year 1861 his father was called by the church to go to Santa Clara. He took his three wives, his first wife Mary Ann Baldwin and two Blood girls and moved to Santa Clara, Washington County, Utah. The two Blood girls refused to stay in such a desolate, forsaken place. So Robert left Mary Ann and her family at Santa Clara and he and the Blood girls returned to Salt Lake City. The family consisted of Robert the eldest son, who took his place as head of the family, Richard Almira, Lenora, George and Heber James the baby. Under the most trying of circumstances did this lovely pioneer woman and her children struggle for their existence. Heber James was grown before he knew what a pair of shoes were. They lived chiefly on bread and molasses. The heat was terrific. The lizards would flop over on their backs to cool their stomachs as they ran from the shade of one bush to another. The children herded the cows barefoot. Robert shared no responsibility in the raising of this family. In fact the children only saw their father three times during his life time. He visited them at Santa Clara when Heber James was 4 years old, at their mother’s funeral, at the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple. Heber James never knew any of his half brothers or sisters until he was grown. Then he met a half sister and brother in Idaho. After Heber James mother’s death, which was caused by heat stroke, the family moved. Bob married and moved to Kanab, where he lived until his death. The other children went to Escalante, Utah. Heber James wandered into Wayne County and in the year 1884 married Emma Jane Coleman in the St. George Temple. Two girls blessed this union, Jane and Mary. When Mary was 4 days old her mother died from complications of child birth. No doctor was available and the midwife in attendance was unable to render the assistance needed. Their Grandmother Coleman took the motherless little girls and loved and mothered them as her own. In the year 1888, September 17 at the Manti Temple, Heber married Mary Jane Perkins. 12 children were born to them, four boys and eight girls. Nine of which grew to man and woman hood. Heber James filled a mission to Great Britain between years of 1897-1899. He made many friends and converts. He was honorably released after 26 months of labor. He often said this was the happiest time of his life, because he was able to live his religion best at this time. He was Bishop of the Giles and Teasdale Wards for years. He then served as High Councilman until he moved to Monticello, San Juan County, in the year 1916. He was also active in Civic affairs. He was sheriff in both counties and various other public offices. He made several trips in to the Robbins Roast and captured some of the bad men and brought them out to be tried and found guilty. He was respected by all classes for his honesty, fearlessness and his courage to do what he thought was right. A the age of 74 years he died, June 10, 1935, after poor health for two years caused from a stroke. He was survived by his wife Mary Jane and 10 children.


Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

             Heber James Wilson was born 28 August 1860 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory to Robert P. and Mary Ann Baldwin Wilson.             His mother, Mary Ann Baldwin, was born on 9 March 1823 in Warrensville, Cuyahoga,Ohio to Caleb and Nancy Kingsbury Baldwin.              Her family endured the persecutions of being in Jackson County, Missouri from 1831 to 1835.  From there they moved to Clay County.  Following further persecution they fled to Ray County along Shoal Creek. Her father was imprisoned along with 80 others.  They were to be shot in Far West on the public square at sunrise.  General Doniphan refused to do so.  Most of the men were released or admitted to bail, except for Joseph and Hyrum Smith, her father Caleb Baldwin, Alexander McRae, Lyman Wight and Sidney Rigdon.  They were there until 15 April 1839 when they were being transferred to Boone County. Enroute, the sheriff fell asleep and they escaped with the horses and wagons, arriving ten days later in Qunicy, Illinois.              She was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1833 at the age of ten.  They would have been in Missouri on that date.  She married Martin Titus on 9 March 1844 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois at the age of 21.  There is no record of him or his birth or death date.             Her family left Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois and made their way to Winter Quarters.  They left Winter Quarters last of May and met the Heber C. Kimball Company at Elkhorn on 7 June 1848.  Her father Caleb was 56; Her mother Nancy, age 49; Mary Ann, age 25; James Kingsbury, age 22; Abigail Sherman, age 20; Ellen Diana, age 13; and Elizabeth Elmina, age 10.  There were 703 individuals in the company with 225 wagons, 96 pigs, 299 chickens, 15 cats, 22 dogs, 3 hives of bees, 15 ducks, and several cattle.  Several companies were traveling west and often camped near each other.           Her father was called to be in the second division under Heber C. Kimball.  William Clayton was also in the same company guard.  They had a run in with the Omaha Indians and had to leave Elk Horn sooner than expected.  Thomas Ricks was severely wounded and he helped bring him back to camp.  Jonathan tells in his journal that he had gotten a couple of tires (metal part) to put on two of the wheels and later picked up two more for the other wheels.            On 15 June the y had passed over the Pawnee Missionary Station. They had a tremendous rain and wind storm on the 16 June.  The 17th they moved across the river with several hundred herd of cattle, sheep and other animals plus 100 yoke of oxen.  They stopped on Sunday and rested and had Sabbath meetings.  It was stressed by Brigham Young “that they were moving to the west to build up the Kingdom of God.”           On 30 June they killed their first buffalo which would bring them fresh meat. They recorded that 1 July they were 383 from Winter Quarters. On July 7th they brought 4-5 more buffalo to their food supply.    By 15 July they had passed Chimney Rock.  At this point they divided two camps into eight companies.  They also sent three men to the valley for more teams and instructed them to meet them at Green River.           They recorded “that on 18 July Heber C. Kimball’s Company had crossed over the Platte River.”  They were at Independence Rock 13 August.  They crossed the Sweetwater on 19 August and had reached South Pass by 21 August. On 12 September they were near Fort Bridger.  By 18 September they were at the top of the mountains and crossed Echo Creek. They stopped on the east bank of Weber River to rest and the women washed their clothes.             On September 21st they camped at the steep mountain (Big Mountain).  As they came down the mountain through Emigration Canyon they were overjoyed to see the valley dotted with log and adobe cabins.  As they emerged from Emigration Canyon into the open valley, which opened to the right and left in the bright sunshine,giving it a golden hue, that made it look doubly rich after having been for the last two weeks shut up between high mountains and passing over rugged ways.  After a Journey of one hundred and twelve days they arrived about 11 O’clock A.M in the Salt Lake valley 24 September which was a Sunday and camped at Pioneer Square.             Her parents married in June 1849 in Great Salt Lake, Deseret.  They were later endowed on 22 October 1852.  They were probably sealed on Ensign Peak as the Endowment House was not yet built. They were not married in the President’s Office and that is the other place where endowments and sealings were done. His father, Robert, was born on 29 April 1819 in Overton, Flintshire,Wales to William and Catherine Davies Wilson.  He was baptized into the Church on 8 October 1840 at the age of 21.              His father died when he was very young, leaving his mother with eleven children.  His father, Robert, was the tenth child.  He and one of his brothers accepted the gospel and the rest of the family became members later.  He immigrated to America in 1841.  He served a short mission of eight months in the state of Ohio and areas around.              He met and married Mary Ann Point on 23 June 1843 and they settled in Montrose,Iowa.  He drove an ox team across the plains for John Fuller in 1849.  His wife was unwilling the leave their property and make the journey at that time.  She came to the Salt Lake valley the following year.             His parents had six children, two girls and four boys. Robert Caleb was born 17 August 1849 in Great Salt Lake, Deseret and Richard Edward was born 23 July 1853 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory.  They moved to Kaysville,Davis, Utah Territory where the next three children were born.  Mary Ann Almira was born 16 November 1855;Lenora Angeline was born 15 June 1856; and George Boyd was born 8 December 1858.  Their last child Heber James was born 28 August 1860 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory.              They went to California in 1850 but returned to the Valley in 1852.  Robert went back east to bring back his wife’s family.  In the spring of 1853,his first wife and her family moved to California.  She couldn’t understand and live the law of plural marriage.  They had five children.               On 26 June 1853, he married Ann Blood.  They had thirteen children, six boys and seven girls.  In 1857 he married Mary Blood, sister of Ann.  They had thirteen children, three girls and ten boys.  In 1861 he was called to help settle Southern Utah.  They didn’t last very long there because he was sick with ague so they returned to Kaysville, Utah in 1865.             When he went to Santa Clara with his three wives, the two Blood women refused to stay in such a desolate, forsaken place.  He left Mary Ann and her family in Santa Clara and returned to Salt Lake with his two wives.              Robert,the oldest, had to grow up very fast and become the head of the family to help his mother.  They lived in very poor circumstances.  They lived mainly on bread and molasses.  The heat was horrible.  The children herded the cows barefoot.  Robert, their father saw them only three times during his life time. He visited them at Santa Clara when his brother, Heber James, was four years old, at the funeral of their mother, and at the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple.              His mother Mary Ann died on 20 April 1877 in Santa Clara, Washington, of heat stroke at the age of 54.  She was buried in St. George, Washington,Utah.   His father, Robert, died on 18 September 1895 in Oakley, Cassia, Idaho Territory at the age of 76 and was buried on 21 September 1895 in Cassia, Idaho.              Heber was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 1 January 1868 at the age of seven.   By 1880 they were living in Escalante, Iron, Utah Territory. He married Emma Jane Coleman in the St. George Temple, St. George,Washington, Utah Territory on 5 November 1885 at the age of 25.              Her father came to Utah Territory with the David Evans Company.  They departed on the 15 June 1850 with 109 individuals and 54 wagons which began its journey from the outfitting post as Kanesville, Iowa (present day Council Bluffs).  His mother Sarah was 43; George, age 23; Prime, age 18; William, age 13; Rebecca, age 11;and Martha Jane, age 6.  They arrived in the Salt Lake Valley 13-17 September 1850.             Her mother came with the James G. Willie Handcart Company.  They departed on 15 July 1856 with 502 individuals, 100 handcarts, and 5 wagons in the 4th handcart company which began its journey from the outfitting post at Iowa City,Iowa.  The Smith family consisted of Margery Smith, her grandmother, age 51; her mother, Jane, age 17; Mary, age 15; Betsey, age 13; Alexander, age 5.  Their friend, Euphemia Mitchell, age 22 was also with them.  Margery’s husband had died in 1850 and had not joined the Church. Her oldest son, Robert Bain had emigrated in 1854 and was working on a farm in Lehi. He would later join the family with the Rescue Companies.             They had been six weeks on the ocean to New York, ten day on trains and steamboats to Iowa City, and three weeks camped at Iowa City. On 19 October they age the last of their flour and were still nearly 300 miles short of the valley.  A horrible blizzard hit and they were forced to stop for a time.  Even after Joseph Young and Cyrus Wheelock reached them they still had two days before the rescue wagons arrived.  Margery Smith and her family had to pull their handcart another ten days through the snow.  She became very sick.  On 30 October they were still 169 miles from Salt Lake, but then a miracle happened. Robert was there suddenly with the rescue teams and the younger children were so excited to see their brother.              Jane had stayed with her mother who could not go on. When he found her she was laying in the sagebrush nearly gone.  Back in Lehi he had been sick with mountain fever, but when Brigham Young called for rescue he was there to help his family.  They got to Salt Lake on 9 November 1856 and were taken in  by the Willie family.  They soon went on to Lehi where Robert had been living.  He married Euphemia Mitchell.              Jane married George on 28 January 1857 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory.  They were sealed in the Endowment House on 11 September 1857.  Her mother was 18 at the time of their marriage.   They had nine children, Emma Jane being the fourth child.  They first lived in Lehi,then help to colonize Smithfield, Cache, Utah Territory and finally in Escalante, Garfield, Utah.             Heber and Emma Jane had two children, Jennie born 21 August 1886 and Mary born 18 January 1888.  Emma Jane died six days later on 24 January 1888 from complications of childbirth.  They were living in Thurber, Wayne, Utah Territory at the time of her death.   She was buried in Teasdale, Wayne, Utah Territory.             Heber married Mary Jane Perkins on 17 September 1888 in the Manti Temple, Manti, Sanpete, Utah Territory.  Mary Jane was born on 6 November 1870 in Cedar City, Iron, Utah Territory to Benjamin and Mary Ann Williams Perkins.  She was baptized into the Church on 1 January 1878 at the age of seven.  She was 17 years old when they married.              Her father came to the Utah Territory with the William S. Seeley Company.  He was 24 years old and came by himself.  They departed on 1 August 1868 with 272 individuals and 39 wagons in the company that began its journey from the outfitting post at Laramie, Wyoming.  They arrived in the Salt Lake valley on 29 August 1868.  It is not known when her mother came to the valley.  They had twelve children, seven girls and five boys. Mary Jane was their oldest child.                Heber and Mary Jane had eleven children, eight girls and three boys.  Mary Ann was born 9 October 1889 in Teasdale,Wayne, Utah Territory; Catherine was born 7 December 1891 in Giles, Wayne, Utah Territory; Pearl was born 26 February 1894 in Giles; The rest of the children were born in Teasdale except the last child. Le Nora was born 2 March 1896; Fern was born 9 July 1900; Thenelda was born 2 October 1902; Boyde Benjamin was born 13 February 1904; Dwight was born 6 August 1908; Rae was born 2 March 1910; Ora was born 30 October 1912; and George Jay was born 15 September 1916 in Monticello, San Juan, Utah.             Heber James served a mission to England for the Church in 1908.  He served as bishop in Wayne county serving in all fifteen years.  He was also a counselor to the Stake President.  He served as sheriff and as assessor of Wayne County.  He was a farmer and raised stock most of his life.  He served two terms as deputy sheriff in San Juan County.                Heber James died on 11 June 1935 in Monticello, San Juan, Utah at the age of 74.  He was buried 14 June 1935 in Monticello.              Mary Jane died on 7 March 1956 in Monticello, San Juan, Utah at the age of 85 and was buried on 9 March 1956 in Monticello, San Juan, Utah.

Heber James Wilson (28 August 1860 – 11 June 1935)

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

Heber James Wilson was the son of Robert Wilson (1819-1895) and Mary Ann Baldwin Wilson (1823-1877). Married Emma Jane Coleman on Nov 5, 1885 in St George, Washington, Utah. Married Mary Jane Perkins on September 17, 1888 in Manti, Utah. Their children were: Mary Ann 1889-1945, Catherine 1891-1967, Pearl 1894-1941, Lenora 1896-1992, Fern 1900-1927, Thenelda 1902-1902, Boyd Benjamin 1904-1972, Heber Reed 1906-1998, Dwight 1908-1908, Rae 1910-1993, Ora 1912-192, George Jay 1916-?. FARMER (https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41827720)

Life timeline of Heber James Wilson

Heber James Wilson was born in 1860
Heber James Wilson was 17 years old when Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound. Thomas Alva Edison was an American inventor and businessman, who has been described as America's greatest inventor. He developed many devices that greatly influenced life around the world, including the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and the long-lasting, practical electric light bulb. Dubbed "The Wizard of Menlo Park", he was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large-scale teamwork to the process of invention, and is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory.
Heber James Wilson was 28 years old when The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the northeastern United States, producing snowdrifts in excess of 50 ft (15 m) and confining some people to their houses for up to a week. The Great Blizzard of 1888 or Great Blizzard of '88 was one of the most severe recorded blizzards in the history of the United States of America. The storm, referred to as the Great White Hurricane, paralyzed the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine, as well as the Atlantic provinces of Canada. Snowfalls of 10 to 58 inches fell in parts of New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, and sustained winds of more than 45 miles per hour (72 km/h) produced snowdrifts in excess of 50 feet (15 m). Railroads were shut down, and people were confined to their houses for up to a week. Railway and telegraph lines were disabled, and this provided the impetus to move these pieces of infrastructure underground. Emergency services were also affected.
Heber James Wilson was 38 years old when Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Heber James Wilson was 43 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Heber James Wilson was 52 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Heber James Wilson was 68 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Heber James Wilson died in 1935 at the age of 75
Grave record for Heber James Wilson (1860 - 1935), BillionGraves Record 13422693 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States