Heber Frost

1893 - 1954

Change Your Language


You can change the language of the BillionGraves website by changing the default language of your browser.

Learn More

Heber Frost

1893 - 1954
edit Edit Record
photo Add Images
group_add Add Family
description Add a memory

In the year 1904 my father (William Allen Frost) was moving from Arizona to Shiprock, New Mexico. We had 15 head of cows, six horses, and two wagons with all our earthly belongings. My two older brothers, Clarence and Heber, ages 13 and 11, were driving the loose stock while Father drove the trail w

Life Information

Heber Frost


Monticello City Cemetery

Monticello Cemetery Rd
Monticello, San Juan, Utah
United States


April 5, 2015


April 5, 2015

Nearby Graves

See more nearby graves
Upgrade to BG+


Relationships on the headstone


Relationships added by users


Grave Site of Heber


Heber Frost is buried in the Monticello City Cemetery at the location displayed on the map below. This GPS information is ONLY available at BillionGraves. Our technology can help you find the gravesite and other family members buried nearby.

Download the free BillionGraves mobile app for iPhone and Android before you go to the cemetery and it will guide you right to the gravesite.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



A Faith Promoting Experience by Wilford Frost to My Great Grandchildren

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

In the year 1904 my father (William Allen Frost) was moving from Arizona to Shiprock, New Mexico. We had 15 head of cows, six horses, and two wagons with all our earthly belongings. My two older brothers, Clarence and Heber, ages 13 and 11, were driving the loose stock while Father drove the trail wagons with four head of horses. This was slow traveling, as we had to let the stock rest and eat quite often. We would make 12 to 15 miles a day. The Indians didn't like our using their feed and water without paying for it. All went well until we were out in the middle of the reservation between Gallup and Shiprock, New Mexico. The stock was turned loose to graze as usual with one saddle pony tied to the wagons to wrangle on in the morning. Next morning my older brother went out to gather the stock. He was unable to find a single animal but found Moccasin tracks driving all the animals directly away from camp. He hurried back to camp to tell Father what had happened to the stock. A prayer was offered before Father jumped on the pony and took off in pursuit of the stock and the Indians. Early history is full of such attacks on lone travelers, but first they usually did away with the people to save trouble. You can imagine our feeling, stranded there 50 miles from the nearest town. Time dragged on. Noon came and still no sign of Father. We had about given up hope that he would ever return. My stepmother (Sibyl Harris Frost) was a very religious woman and continued to pray for Father's safe return. Along mid afternoon we could see Father coming with part of the stock. He had to pay a big price in cattle to save his own life and get the Indians to release the work horses so we could continue our journey. What rejoicing to see Father still alive and able to continue our journey! Now to you grandchildren and great grandchildren, I want to bear my testimony of the power of prayer and the Lord looks after his people. Now the descendants of those three small boys are over 100 and still growing. Think if those Indians had decided to do away with us and take all, it would be a different story.

Monticello Pilgrimage

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

On Friday late afternoon, March 20, 2015, Cindy Bronson Decker, Barbara Bronson Allred, and me, Elaine Bronson Kemp, all of us Boyd C Bronson's daughters, drove into Monticello from a visit with Bob Ridges of Moab, our 2nd cousin. We checked into the Inn at the Canyons motel. What a surprise that evening to see the horse head on Blue Mountain in back of the motel, bigger in life than I had remembered from pictures. Between the 3 of us we must have taken dozens of pictures that evening and the next morning of both the famous Blue Mountain Horse Head and the Monticello Temple. That next day, Saturday the 21st, we went driving around Monticello looking for evidences of our father's and grandfather's and great grandfather's old town. We visited the reproductions of the log church and sod roofed log homes there in town and read the account of Jane Walton's shooting at a dance in that log meeting house back on July 24, 1891. It wasn't till a week after returning home to Provo that I realized that Jane's husband, Charles E Walton, was the widower who sued for my great aunt Mary Ann Bronson's hand in marriage before Mary Ann met and married Warner Eugene "Latigo" Gordon. Grandpa Arch Bronson referred to him as "Old Man Walton". The wait till the Visitors Center opened yielded happy results. How we enjoyed the center's employee telling us that the Blue Goose Saloon used to stand just to the south of that visitor's center. Inside the museum attached to the south of the visitor's center is a door from that famous Saloon and the Midland Telephone Company's switchboard where Mary Ann worked following her separation from Warner. The shoe lasts from Nephi Bailey, the Zapitaro of the Blue Mountain song, are displayed also. Hanging at ceiling height is the first water pipe from the 1916 installation. That happy event, when water was first delivered to homes in Monticello, is related in grandpa Arch's history. One of the most interesting exhibits is the diorama of the town back in 1888 to 1911. It was through studying the town in the model and receiving the information that Main street is now 200 S and 200 S used to be Main Street that we were able to deduce where the 3 remaining old houses from the early townspeople now stand. We took pictures of all three. The George Adam's home where the famous Evelyn, "Ev of the old chuck line" in the Blue Mountain song, sits on the corner across the street to the north of the visitor's center. No one answered the door when I rang and knocked. Down 200 S, old time Main Street, Barbara drove us to the east and stopped the car in front of a charming old home...the Frederick I. Jones home. He was the first bishop of Monticello and served in that capacity for 25 years. Our great grandfather, Wilmer Wharton Bronson, was his counselor. Some few doors to the east on the south side of the street across from the F.I. Jones home stands a lovely 2 story vintage home. Barbara drove up and parked on the street in front of it. I got out and walked the sidewalk to step onto the porch and ring the doorbell. A woman answered and nearly shut the door at the sight of me. I had the map of the old city in my hands. I think she may have thought I was a solicitor. I quickly assured her that I was searching out the old homes from my father's past as he had lived here as a youth. She left the glass screen door closed but did assure me that this was the old Nephi Bailey home. The home is opened to the public yearly in the summer for tours. I believe this would be on the 24th of July as that was and is still a big holiday in Monticello. She said the home belongs now to her daughter's grandmother. We wanted to find the house in which Marion Frengler lived after Wilmer died and also the plot of land or evidence of the old log home where Wilmer and family lived when Arch was a boy and this same home where Arch brought his little family from Salt Lake when Dad was about 5 years old. Arch wrote that Dory Crouse said while helping to build that home that the roof on this home was "so steep it would split the rain drops". We drove around some and then noticed that there was an old structure on the corner of that old time main street and something east. As we turned around to drive back towards the west we got a better view. It was old and painted white over stuccoed walls as I recall and had some metal corrugated wall on the north end. One could read in faded large letters 'Auto Service'. We got wondering if this could have been the old gas station that Dad worked in as a 16 year old. Barbara pulled up in front. I got out and walked to that old white wood door and pushed a button that didn't ring and knocked with no answer. I peered in through dirty windows. Old things....antiques and clutter were stacked all over on a wooden counter and I could see the ceiling was falling down. There was no evidence of anyone using this place for years. About that time a dog started to bark...I was then taking pictures through the windows on the south end of the building when a friendly-forty-year-oldish-woman named Rhonda Shaffer came out of the home to the west and asked if she could help me. By this time Cindy and Barbara had joined me. We told her that our father had worked for a service station when he was sixteen years old. Since the outside of the corrugated wall to the north said Auto Service, we wondered if this could be the old station owned by Heber Frost. Rhonda told us her father had bought the service station from someone whom she couldn't remember. Her father, Gene Shaffer, turned the service station into an auto mechanics shop, his passion. I ran to the car to get my copy of Dad's personal history to read his description of that old station. The building faces east towards the point of going east out of town as Boyd describes in his personal history page 6 and Rhonda confirmed there had been a school across the street. Rhonda related that her father used to dash across that street from the school to work at this old service station turned mechanics shop. We feel certain that this was Heber Frost's old Union Oil Service Station. Dad wrote, "I remember my first week I worked 8 hours a day for four days and Heber gave me $1.00. I thought I had the world by the tail. Eventually I worked for 25 cents per hour until I graduated from High School and left town. I well remember the Sunday in December of 1941 when Dad ( Arch Bronson) drove up to the Service Station where I was working and excitedly said, 'The Japanese have just bombed Pearl Harbor'. I didn't know where Pearl Harbor was and little did I know what the future held for me as a result of their cowardly attack."

Heber and Louie Frost, early pioneers, by Ruth Frost Bloomfield-Hinkley (daughter) in The San Juan Record September 11, 1996

Contributor: 8diggin Created: 2 years ago Updated: 2 years ago

A Centennial sampler Heber Frost and Louie Wilson were both born in February, 1893, Heber in Snowflake, Arizona and Louie in Monticello, Utah. Heber and his family came to Monticello to make brick for the Mormon church which replaced the log church of 1888. They also made brick for the George Adams home and the schoolhouse where City Park is now located. Heber and Louie became aware of each other in their early teens. Louie's parents, Nicholas and Phoenetta Jane Wilson, lived at Spring Creek at the foot of the Blues. Heber would ride horseback - only he knew where - to see the pretty, curly-headed girl. It was love at first sight. They were married October 2, 1912 in the Salt Lake City LDS Temple. They were 19 years old. Heber and his two brothers, Clarence and Wilford, homesteaded Dodge Point, each taking a third. They took their brides there, planted their farms, and started their families. In 1920 with the harvest finished and the granaries loaded with wheat, Heber and Louie's granary caught fire and was completely destroyed. They moved to Monticello for the winter in a small, two-room home just west of the Adams home. Heber didn't want to farm anymore. When Heber saw his first car, he was fascinated with it and knew what he wanted to do, so he bought a car. There were no decent roads at that time - just wagon roads, cow and horse trails that wound through deep, sandy and muddy ruts. Heber had a blacksmith make some Fresnos, a two-up and a four-up. A two-up was a small metal scoop shovel pulled with two horses - a four-up was a large metal scoop shovel that took four horses to move it. They would move the dirt - a forerunner of present-day bulldozers. State road commissioners saw his talent and natural engineering knowledge and made him San Juan County Road Commissioner. The cow and wagon trails were soon straightened, graded, and gravel added. They built the first graded and graveled roads in the area, including Cottonwood Wash, Hatch Wash, Butler Hill, Comb Wash, Recapture Hill, Long Canyon, Peter's Hill and the road east from Monticello to the state line. Heber and Louie had two service stations. One, the Eagleberger Station, was built at the front of the Perkins rock house, where they also built a cafe. Heber would take a Model A truck to Dolores, Colorado and bring gas for the service station in barrels. In the middle of the Great Depression, a steady stream of Model A's came from the east, on their way to California. Some of the families stayed in San Juan County - a farm could be homesteaded for $1 an acre. Heber and Louie loved helping people. Children from the farmland lived with them in the winter so they could go to school. Every Fourth of July, at the first sign of daybreak, Heber set off a large explosion of dynamite at the old town pond and race track (where the hospital now stands). It would literally shake the dishes in people's cupboards and the glass windows would rattle, but it did get the people up. For many years, residents would load wagons with homemade ice cream freezers and go up close to the Horsehead. There they would pick wild strawberries, raspberries, and gooseberries, get snow from the north side of the hills, and have ice cream in July. Heber was county commissioner several times, in addition to road commissioner. He was mayor, CCC supervisor, and county assessor. Heber also served as deputy sheriff during a wild time in San Juan County. Posey, the Ute chief, caused a lot of problems and fear to the Mormon settlers. Forty years later, a four-year-old great grandson of Posey, Mark Anthony Wells, was given to Heber and Louie to raise. The family adored him. Mark was not well. He died at 27 years. Louie always had a cafe. She was a famous cook - her bread, biscuits and pie would melt in your mouth. She could cook them in a dutch oven if necessary. Heber died of a heart attack in 1954 at age 61. At his funeral, the chapel and cultural hall were full, overflowing into the halls and onto the lawns. Louie died in 1986, at age 93, after a bad fall. Heber and Louie had three children of their own. The first, Helen, died at birth. Bruce came next, then Ruth. Last, but not least was the dearly loved Mark Anthony Wells. At this time, 1996, the living posterity includes daughter Ruth, granddaughter Judy, six great-grandchildren, 20 great-great-grandchildren, and one great-great-great grandchild.

Life timeline of Heber Frost

Heber Frost was born in 1893
Heber Frost was 10 years old when The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. The Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were two American aviators, engineers, inventors, and aviation pioneers who are generally credited with inventing, building, and flying the world's first successful airplane. They made the first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft on December 17, 1903, four miles south of Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. In 1904–05 the brothers developed their flying machine into the first practical fixed-wing aircraft. Although not the first to build experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible.
Heber Frost was 19 years old when The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Heber Frost was 35 years old when Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, "Plane Crazy". Walter Elias Disney was an American entrepreneur, animator, voice actor and film producer. A pioneer of the American animation industry, he introduced several developments in the production of cartoons. As a film producer, Disney holds the record for most Academy Awards earned by an individual, having won 22 Oscars from 59 nominations. He was presented with two Golden Globe Special Achievement Awards and an Emmy Award, among other honors. Several of his films are included in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.
Heber Frost was 46 years old when Adolf Hitler signs an order to begin the systematic euthanasia of mentally ill and disabled people. Adolf Hitler was a German politician, demagogue, and Pan-German revolutionary, who was the leader of the Nazi Party, Chancellor of Germany from 1933 to 1945 and Führer ("Leader") of Nazi Germany from 1934 to 1945. As dictator, Hitler initiated World War II in Europe with the invasion of Poland in September 1939, and was central to the Holocaust.
Heber Frost was 47 years old when The Holocaust: The first prisoners arrive at a new concentration camp at Auschwitz. The Holocaust, also referred to as the Shoah, was a genocide during World War II in which Nazi Germany, aided by its collaborators, systematically murdered some six million European Jews, around two-thirds of the Jewish population of Europe, between 1941 and 1945. Jews were targeted for extermination as part of a larger event involving the persecution and murder of other groups, including in particular the Roma and "incurably sick", as well as ethnic Poles and other Slavs, Soviet citizens, Soviet prisoners of war, political opponents, gay men and Jehovah's Witnesses, resulting in up to 17 million deaths overall.
Heber Frost died in 1954 at the age of 61
Grave record for Heber Frost (1893 - 1954), BillionGraves Record 13422665 Monticello, San Juan, Utah, United States